PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: HIBS TV: RIORDAN'S GOALS

RSS Bot
08-10-2014, 12:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4847)

BH Hibs
08-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Cue 10 page thread on him coming back or not. :cb

SteveHFC
08-10-2014, 12:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACdH__eWRc

Or you can see all his goals for free on you tube.

California-Hibs
08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
He needs to be given WAY more respect than certain people give him. 104 goals in 260 games is outstanding. He was some player!

Onceinawhile
08-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Wonder if this is a hint? Wee bit of foreshadowing?

Jones28
08-10-2014, 01:10 PM
So he is coming back?!

Gus
08-10-2014, 01:25 PM
He needs to be given WAY more respect than certain people give him. 104 goals in 260 games is outstanding. He was some player!

Agreed, but the bit in bold is brutal as we are talking about a what 29/30 year old lad in the past tense when he should be leading Scotland's front line on Saturday.

SteveHFC
08-10-2014, 01:28 PM
So he is coming back?!

:hyper:

Centre Hawf
08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Seeing some of they goals make me feel so old now. That chip against Celtic was probably my favourite, summed up his vision as well as his technique.

hibee-boys
08-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Some great individual goals in there, created from nothing, very few tap ins. Other than Griffiths I've witnessed no one who comes near him in finishing ability, certainly in my time watching hibs.

HibbyAndy
08-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Some great individual goals in there, created from nothing, very few tap ins. Other than Griffiths I've witnessed no one who comes near him in finishing ability, certainly in my time watching hibs.

Best ever hibs player in my time.

Judas Iscariot
08-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Legend.

Some on this board would do well to recognise that

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Fantastic goalscorer, between him and LG I've never seen better at ER in 50 years.

California-Hibs
08-10-2014, 04:05 PM
legend.

this!

104 goals....... 1 0 4 !!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Legend.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Legend.

Indeed, some of the nonsense he has been subjected to on here has been nothing short of ridiculous.

squire
08-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Undoubtably a legend. Watching that I only just realised his preferred foot was his right as I have such great memories of Deek in the inside left position and striking with his left. Such a great technical player, one of the best I've seen.

104 goals. Not worthy.

EVENTUALLY
08-10-2014, 05:09 PM
A wonderful player for the Hibs.

Those of us who enjoyed watching his two footed natural goal scoring ability should feel very privileged to have had him at Easter Road. As Eddie Turnbull used to say "There is no substitute for skill" and Derek was up there with the best of them.

I miss him terribly.

Mr White
08-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Undoubtably a legend. Watching that I only just realised his preferred foot was his right as I have such great memories of Deek in the inside left position and striking with his left. Such a great technical player, one of the best I've seen.

104 goals. Not worthy.

:agree: could strike a ball better with his weaker foot than most strikers can with their strong foot. Easily the best shooting technique I've seen from a hibs player.

SaulGoodman
08-10-2014, 05:21 PM
**** it I'd take him back :duck:

Hermit Crab
08-10-2014, 05:24 PM
I still say that first time volley against hearts is one of the best goals I've seen a hibs player score!!

frazeHFC
08-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Legend. Is easily my favourite Hibs player sinceiI was born, and at this rate will be a long time before anyone else comes close.

CRAZYHIBBY
08-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Him and oconnor would still do a job if they were fit. .. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Loved him, he could score and create goals from nothing. Hibs Legend. :top marks

Jonnyboy
08-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Left foot, right foot, headers ........ the lot and a fair few of those goals scored during his second spell at the club which some would have us believe was poor :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
08-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Him and oconnor would still do a job if they were fit. .. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

C'mon did you not see O'Connor last time round?

hibs0666
08-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I still say that first time volley against hearts is one of the best goals I've seen a hibs player score!!

Was that the disallowed one?

IWasThere2016
08-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Legend - one of the best finishers you are likely to see.

Seemed to enjoy scoring against Hearts an awfy lot! :greengrin

silverhibee
08-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Was that the disallowed one?

No. Think he is talking about volley at Tynie.

The one that was disallowed was against Dundee in the 4-4 game, had a good view of it from the West i would say he was on side when the ball was crossed over to him.

Carheenlea
08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
I used to love watching these goals but feel sadness watching them now.

Derek Riordan and Hibernian were a perfect fit, a true Hibs Hero who will go down in history as one of our greats. Fast forward from those entertaining afternoons watching Hibs at Easter Road in front of bumper gates and on the road in huge numbers, when you could not wait for the next game to come around, to where we find ourselves now :boo hoo:

Mr White
08-10-2014, 07:08 PM
I used to love watching these goals but feel sadness watching them now.

Derek Riordan and Hibernian were a perfect fit, a true Hibs Hero who will go down in history as one of our greats. Fast forward from those entertaining afternoons watching Hibs at Easter Road in front of bumper gates and on the road in huge numbers, when you could not wait for the next game to come around, to where we find ourselves now :boo hoo:

Similar thoughts occurred to me too when watching his goals. But then I thought about the state we were in when Deek and the rest of those players broke through- the end of the mcleish/sauzee days heading into bobby williamson's tenure. Nowhere near as bad as the current rut granted but pretty grim none the less. Maybe we'll be surprised by the quality of young players we see coming through in the next few seasons. I live in hope anyway.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2014, 07:11 PM
What a player he was.

His time with us has been and gone, people need to accept that, but that shouldn't detract from what he did in his 2 spells with us.

104 goals = legend.

skipster7
08-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Best striker of a ball I've seen at Hibs. Really top class goals. Nothing short of a goalscoring genius imo Legend

My_Wife_Camille
08-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Looking at that video, it's not just the number of goal but the quality of them that's so impressive. Look at someone like Kris Boyd for example. Probably scored around twice as many goals as Derek but none that will come close to about half of Derek's goals in terms of sheer quality. A definite Hibernian legend

Viva_Palmeiras
08-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I was privileged to have seen him play.

Supporting Hibs from the terrace of the Miller era that's a phrase that's been used few and far between. What a curse on our club we've had. I pity the kids of today watching what's been served up - truly criminal!

eastterrace
08-10-2014, 07:56 PM
wish i never watched that as it just brings it all home how bad we are now, we dont have anybody with that quality and its sad how we have ended up.

Tricla
08-10-2014, 08:32 PM
What a player.

:not worth

sleeping giant
08-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Lived the dream. Wee bassa :greengrin

TheFamous1875
08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
wish i never watched that as it just brings it all home how bad we are now, we dont have anybody with that quality and its sad how we have ended up.

To be fair, most teams in any league or level don't have that quality; the guy was simply sublime with a ball at his feet. He is the best finisher I have seen in the flesh and was a better finisher than a lot of the game's most successful strikers. I've always retained that it's teams that make clubs, not players, but to have a player of Riordan's calibre at any level is a true gift. Had he been from elsewhere in the world and had been in a better team than he was he would've had everything to be a modern day star. Sadly for the world, he's only the biggest star for Hibernian fans. Whenever I hear of him being criticised for not making the most out of his potential, I do wish people remember that, perhaps to him, he did fulfil his potential - he lived out his and ours most wildest of dreams by being a star striker for our beloved Hibees. His lack of desire for anything further in his career indicates that.

An absolute legend, forever in the alumni of Hibernian greats. Talent like that at any level is rare, and for us to have had one of our own capable of those finishes is not to be forgotten or scoffed at, no matter what shortcomings may have accompanied it.

JJP
08-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Never tire of watching Riordan's goals. Can only hope to see a player and Hibby of his calibre again in the future.

Tricla
08-10-2014, 09:49 PM
To be fair, most teams in any league or level don't have that quality; the guy was simply sublime with a ball at his feet. He is the best finisher I have seen in the flesh and was a better finisher than a lot of the game's most successful strikers. I've always retained that it's teams that make clubs, not players, but to have a player of Riordan's calibre at any level is a true gift. Had he been from elsewhere in the world and had been in a better team than he was he would've had everything to be a modern day star. Sadly for the world, he's only the biggest star for Hibernian fans. Whenever I hear of him being criticised for not making the most out of his potential, I do wish people remember that, perhaps to him, he did fulfil his potential - he lived out his and ours most wildest of dreams by being a star striker for our beloved Hibees. His lack of desire for anything further in his career indicates that.

An absolute legend, forever in the alumni of Hibernian greats. Talent like that at any level is rare, and for us to have had one of our own capable of those finishes is not to be forgotten or scoffed at, no matter what shortcomings may have accompanied it.

Terrific post.

Mon the Deeks!

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2014, 10:03 PM
If he "wasted his talent" as some on here say then great. Meant he scored 104 for us and not another team. Hibs great no doubt. Oh for a waster like him in a Hibs jersey again :greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
08-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Interview with him in the sun today? Anyone see what he was saying in it?

B.H.F.C
08-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Will be a long, long time before anybody else scores as many goals for Hibs as he did.

MrSmith
09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
If he "wasted his talent" as some on here say then great. Meant he scored 104 for us and not another team. Hibs great no doubt. Oh for a waster like him in a Hibs jersey again :greengrin

Yup and those who say he's finished should really provide evidence! Would have him back in a heartbeat!!

Wilson
09-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Yup and those who say he's finished should really provide evidence! Would have him back in a heartbeat!!

Instead of celebrating his goals and his status as a Hibs legend there are too many on this thread having sly digs at those who feel his time has passed.

Nobody has bitten and nor should they.

Just enjoy the vids.

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2014, 11:01 AM
No sly dig from me but imo celtc finished him like they did so many players by just leaving him out. Could he ever come back? Good question and not one I would attempt to answer.

hibeesboii
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
So many good free kicks in there! Wish we had a finisher like him right now :agree:

Keith_M
09-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Quality over Quantity?

:hmmm:

Bad Martini
09-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Riordan scored the best goals I've seen over the last 20 years at Easter Road.

And he hates the hearts as much as the rest of us. :flag:

Therefore ANY digs, "opinions" or anything other than unequivocal acceptance of the above is just "pish". That's a "FACT" (as has been popularised around these here parts of late) - source : those videos.

Personally, I'd rather not use FACT. Clearly, the way to conclude is...

ENDOF :aok:

emerald green
09-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Am I correct/incorrect in thinking that Riordan is still the third highest goalscorer ever in the SPL? No doubt someone will know for certain.

I still remember that terrific left footed drive of Derek's into the back of the Yams net at The Famous Five stand end. Great goal.

Eyrie
09-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Maybe you should provide evidence of what he has done recently?

Personally I'd be delighted if we could bring back the Riordan who scored so many great goals rather than someone who sadly now looks to have prematurely retired.

cleanyman
09-10-2014, 08:13 PM
What. A. Player.

MrSmith
10-10-2014, 05:51 AM
Maybe you should provide evidence of what he has done recently?

Personally I'd be delighted if we could bring back the Riordan who scored so many great goals rather than someone who sadly now looks to have prematurely retired.

Maybe I should! However, it is quite clear he has done little of late but having seen him some weeks ago, he still looks fit and healthy.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-10-2014, 06:11 AM
I wonder why nobody has offered him a contract

erin go bragh
10-10-2014, 07:51 AM

Unbelievable Jeff . Right top corner at the Dunbar end past the lady boy Gordon is my favourite .

Ggtth

silverhibee
10-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I wonder why nobody has offered him a contract

He is enjoying his training just now and is hoping to secure a contract.

J-C
10-10-2014, 11:02 AM
What an array of goals he scored, from tap ins to 30 yard screamers, left foot/ right foot it made no difference, his dead balls were lethal and cool as a cucumber with the penatlies, one of the best natural scorers I think I've ever seen, how we could do with him in his pomp playing for us now.

GreenOnions
10-10-2014, 11:23 AM

I keep telling myself I'm handsome

Kato
10-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Best Scottish finisher I've seen apart from (maybe) Steve Archibald.

Hibs legend.

JimBHibees
10-10-2014, 04:31 PM
What a player he was.

His time with us has been and gone, people need to accept that, but that shouldn't detract from what he did in his 2 spells with us.

104 goals = legend.

Completely agree the two footedness of Deek was fantastic and also scored a fair number of headed goals also. Cracking quality player and the quality of the goals and general play is in stark contrast to what we have been seeing for the last number of years.

Eyrie
10-10-2014, 06:48 PM

He has my best wishes. Any hints on who is looking at him?

SaulGoodman
10-10-2014, 06:50 PM

How fit is he looking? I'm not bothered what folk say id still take him

silverhibee
10-10-2014, 07:06 PM
He has my best wishes. Any hints on who is looking at him?

Nothing big just trying to get back in to football and training with a club. :aok:

silverhibee
10-10-2014, 07:14 PM
How fit is he looking? I'm not bothered what folk say id still take him

As Mr Smith says in #56 Derek looks after himself, he runs in the day and does the gym and he looks good, I don't think fitness is a problem for him it is more of a club taking a chance on him and getting match fitness to play games, hopefully he gets that chance.

SaulGoodman
10-10-2014, 11:18 PM
As Mr Smith says in #56 Derek looks after himself, he runs in the day and does the gym and he looks good, I don't think fitness is a problem for him it is more of a club taking a chance on him and getting match fitness to play games, hopefully he gets that chance.

I hope we give him it tbh :duck:

Scottie
10-10-2014, 11:42 PM

Some utterly sublime finishing.

Christ if he was Brazilian they would of called him world class. Hope someway the club can get him back training wi us and see how it goes from there. Legend. :not worth :not worth