PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane

3pm
07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Fantastic player. Total head case.

3pm
07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2782664/Roy-Keane-admits-glad-Clive-Clarke-suffered-heart-attack-night-Sunderland-beaten-Luton-Town.html

Pretty Boy
07-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Read about his fight with Peter Schmeichel earlier due to 'football differences'. Not sure I believe him when he claims he came out of that one on top.

lord bunberry
07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Having read his book I've got nothing but admiration for him, if our players showed even half of his dedication we wouldn't be were we are now

3pm
07-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Read about his fight with Peter Schmeichel earlier due to 'football differences'. Not sure I believe him when he claims he came out of that one on top.

The guy is nuts. I wouldn't put it past him!

iwasthere1972
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Think he decided to retire very shortly after Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson ran rings around him at Easter Road.

Don't like him. Ending someone's football career and not feeling any sympathy for it.

Idiot. Never a manager. Would make Terry Butcher look like Shirley Temple.

Scouse Hibee
07-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Read his first autobiography which I thought at the time was quite good, now he's brought out a second autobiography!

I won't bother thanks.

Pretty Boy
07-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Having read his book I've got nothing but admiration for him, if our players showed even half of his dedication we wouldn't be were we are now

The problem with someone like Keane is that it's always someone elses fault.

It's why he'll never succeed as a manager and why he hates Alex Ferguson so much. Fergie knew Keane was finished and treated him the same as any other player and Keane resented that, he thought he was untouchable. I remember reading a story, it may even have come from Keane himself, that when Dwight Yorke signed for Man Utd he deliberately smashed the ball at him so he miscontrolled it then sneered that'Eric would have controlled that'. This was during a competitive match. Some might see that as making a point about being at a bigger and better club, I can't see how it's helpful.

Great player but I don't respect him as a person one bit.

Spike Mandela
07-10-2014, 06:19 PM
He'd be a great .net poster:cb

A few 50 pagers with him methinks!:wink:

lord bunberry
07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
The problem with someone like Keane is that it's always someone elses fault.

It's why he'll never succeed as a manager and why he hates Alex Ferguson so much. Fergie knew Keane was finished and treated him the same as any other player and Keane resented that, he thought he was untouchable. I remember reading a story, it may even have come from Keane himself, that when Dwight Yorke signed for Man Utd he deliberately smashed the ball at him so he miscontrolled it then sneered that'Eric would have controlled that'. This was during a competitive match. Some might see that as making a point about being at a bigger and better club, I can't see how it's helpful.

Great player but I don't respect him as a person one bit.

Yeah i agree with that, I doubt he'll ever make a good manager, but as a player he was a complete winner who never accepted 2nd best. He wasn't the most technically gifted player, but he had the drive and determination to take a game by the scruff of the neck and turn a defeat into a victory.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Thats one seriously psycho beard. :shocked:

Bostonhibby
07-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Deliberately maimed a fellow pro, Erse of a man and being a half decent footballer doesn't make it alright though. Plum of a manager, wasted plenty at Sunderland

DC_Hibs
07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
He'd be a great .net poster:cb

A few 50 pagers with him methinks!:wink:

Agreed rather than the majority of lineker types on here.

Kind regards

SouthMoroccoStu
07-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Think he decided to retire very shortly after Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson ran rings around him at Easter Road.

Don't like him. Ending someone's football career and not feeling any sympathy for it.

Disappointed by the Roy Keane we saw at Celtic.

A shadow of the former great player.

Am I right (probably not) that jay shields absolutely nailed him in a game?

Sir David Gray
07-10-2014, 06:48 PM
One of those people who could start a fight in an empty room.

Liked him as a player when I was growing up but he comes across as a total fanny every time he opens his mouth.

Leith Green
07-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Roy Keane is the type who questions everyone and everything, but cannot handle coming under scrutiny himself. He strikes me as a manipulative bully , a horrible excuse for a man..

GreenArmyyy!
07-10-2014, 07:05 PM
He is a complete thug.

Bostonhibby
07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Celtc minded.

Northernhibee
07-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Absolute roaster of a human being.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Really good footballer. I wonder if he is missing the attention of being a player?
For as much as SAF brought him to Old Trafford and then helped to mould him into a player, I wonder if equally he would have been one of those that were emptied when Fergie took over, had he been there already.

easty
07-10-2014, 08:27 PM
One of my favourite players. Excellent player.

I dont have a problem with his attitude either. Hates to lose.

Slicer
07-10-2014, 10:31 PM

Disappointed by the Roy Keane we saw at Celtic.

A shadow of the former great player.

Am I right (probably not) that jay shields absolutely nailed him in a game?

I remember Mikey Stewart having his best game for Hibs against Keane at Easter Road. Something to prove maybe.

Spudster
07-10-2014, 10:42 PM

It was Jay Shields who played him off the park that day. I believe the headline was "Hibs Kids ran me ragged". Never rated him as a player but he's entertaining if nothing else nowadays

WestCoastHibby
07-10-2014, 11:05 PM
He's a total and utter fud. I know Deila is getting some severe stick just now but Roy Keane is an even worse manager than Alistair McCoist. " Celtic didn't show me that they really wanted me"....or words to that effect. What a heid case.

franck sauzee
07-10-2014, 11:25 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-keane-autobiography-live-most-4389601

Jones28
07-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Absolute arse. Claims he went out to hurt a player and feels no sympathy for ending his career.

Will never forget Thomson and Brown running him senseless at ER

TRC
07-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Fantastic player. Proved time and again that he was one of the best DM in the world in his prime. Never had a problem with his radge side Mick McCarthy was a twat. AIH incident has been made out to be a massive deal when it was him that started the whole situation reap what you sow.

monktonharp
08-10-2014, 12:13 AM
me 'n him, stripped tae the waist outside ma hoose. he'd probably win overall but I know where the neighbour's stanes and bricks are. Ah JIST DINNAE LIKE HIM.

ekhibee
08-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Although I don't like him as a person, I've always thought that people wrongly just remember him for his time at Manchester Utd. He was an extremely good player for Notts Forest before that. **** manager though.

Auckland Hibs
08-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Top footballer on his day - however a total James Blunt of a man.

Ending someone's football career but doesn't regret doing it - can you get any lower??

monktonharp
08-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Although I don't like him as a person, I've always thought that people wrongly just remember him for his time at Manchester Utd. He was an extremely good player for Notts Forest before that. **** manager though.think you are correct, though I tend to think of him as a person, which makes me think he is an arrogant ersehole. each to their own though.

Danderhall Hibs
08-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Top footballer on his day - however a total James Blunt of a man.

Ending someone's football career but doesn't regret doing it - can you get any lower??

I've heard loads of pro's saying that spitting at a fellow pro's worse.

chinaman
08-10-2014, 06:16 AM
He's a total and utter fud. I know Deila is getting some severe stick just now but Roy Keane is an even worse manager than Alistair McCoist. " Celtic didn't show me that they really wanted me"....or words to that effect. What a heid case.settle down ! If I live till I'm 200 there will never be a more useless, pitiful attempt for a manager as that horrible fat flange.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2014, 06:22 AM
I would love us to have a player like him in the side now, when he was in his pomp he was a superb athlete and enforcer. I don't get caught up these days on what their character is like. Years of watching pussys who are nice boys have done that.

SouthMoroccoStu
08-10-2014, 06:49 AM
If I live till I'm 200 there will never be a more useless, pitiful attempt for a manager as that horrible fat flange.

Terry butcher :wink:

heretoday
08-10-2014, 07:03 AM
An unpleasant type but, like Bremner, he wasn't paid to be Mr Nice. You'd want him in your side rather than against you. Says a lot for Fergie that he was able to handle him all those years.

allezsauzee
08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm not a huge fan of footballer autobiographies/biographies as they tend to be fairly banal but his first book was an excellent read. He is a brutally honest man!

WeeRussell
08-10-2014, 11:12 AM

I'd sooner have someone throw a punch at me than spit in my face. Would probably take gob in the puss before ending my profession though.

And I severely doubt you have heard loads of professionals state that spitting at someone is worse than ending their career and then not showing any remorse :rolleyes:

CMac1988
08-10-2014, 11:16 AM
I've no opinion on the guy either way but Halaand's career wasn't ended by Keane's tackle/assault. He played in a few matches after the tackle but a persistent injury in his left knee which operations couldn't alleviate was what caused him to bow from football.

I should note that Halaand did say the injury came as a result of the tackle though. His quote on Keane's beard though was a topper.

worcesterhibby
08-10-2014, 11:26 AM
A lot of great sportsmen are absolute arrogant welts. Ian Botham was/is the same. It's part of their make up and part of what makes them winners.

Solution..have them in year team….but don't invite them to tea with your mum.

lapsedhibee
08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
I've no opinion on the guy either way but Halaand's career wasn't ended by Keane's tackle/assault. He played in a few matches after the tackle but a persistent injury in his left knee which operations couldn't alleviate was what caused him to bow from football.

I should note that Halaand did say the injury came as a result of the tackle though. His quote on Keane's beard though was a topper.

:hmmm:

Beefster
08-10-2014, 11:49 AM

I agree with them, to be fair. I'd much rather get my knee bashed in, ending my career, than get spat on.

PS I think it's a bit of a myth that Keane ended Haaland's career anyway.

08-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Deliberately maimed a fellow pro, Erse of a man and being a half decent footballer doesn't make it alright though. Plum of a manager, wasted plenty at Sunderland

I agree. A nobody should EVER try to cause a career ending injury to a fellow pro - absolutely despicable. I want our players to show a tough attitude and be tough but theres being a tough professional with a bit of attitude then theres just being a thug which is what Keane was a lot of the time. His "tackle" at Haaland was an absolute disgrace - he knew exactly what he was doing!

Great player but an absolute arse of a human being!

easty
08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
I agree. A nobody should EVER try to cause a career ending injury to a fellow pro - absolutely despicable. I want our players to show a tough attitude and be tough but theres being a tough professional with a bit of attitude then theres just being a thug which is what Keane was a lot of the time. His "tackle" at Haaland was an absolute disgrace - he knew exactly what he was doing!

Great player but an absolute arse of a human being!

While he knew he'd be hurting AIH, he couldn't have known that he would injure him quite as badly as he did.

AIH never, as far as I'm aware, apologised to Keane for standing over him shouting at him to get up, when Keane was down with a cruciate injury (that was of his own doing, but thats besides the point) that kept him out for about a year. As far as I'm concerned, AIH had a sore yin coming.

3pm
08-10-2014, 05:02 PM
The stuff about Haaland and Clive Clarke is tasteless but there are some amusing stories.

Pete
08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Thats one seriously psycho beard. :shocked:

He reminds me of Tintins mate.

Danderhall Hibs
08-10-2014, 05:52 PM
I'd sooner have someone throw a punch at me than spit in my face. Would probably take gob in the puss before ending my profession though.

And I severely doubt you have heard loads of professionals state that spitting at someone is worse than ending their career and then not showing any remorse :rolleyes:

Severely doubt all you like mate. Next time someone churns out a greener you'll hear whoevers in the Sky and MOTD studios say it.

Feed McGraw
08-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Severely doubt all you like mate. Next time someone churns out a greener you'll hear whoevers in the Sky and MOTD studios say it.
I think they mean they`d rather get a bad tackle than be gobbed on, surely not career ending though. Also, bad as a gob in the face is, it`s not usually a "greener" is it ? :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
08-10-2014, 06:21 PM
I think they mean they`d rather get a bad tackle than be gobbed on, surely not career ending though. Also, bad as a gob in the face is, it`s not usually a "greener" is it ? :greengrin

I'm just basing it on direct quotes mate - they say spitting at another pro is the worst thing you can do.

And I agree they never get it right, closest I remember was Voller v Rijkard -that looked a proper greener.

Hibs Class
08-10-2014, 07:14 PM
While he knew he'd be hurting AIH, he couldn't have known that he would injure him quite as badly as he did.

AIH never, as far as I'm aware, apologised to Keane for standing over him shouting at him to get up, when Keane was down with a cruciate injury (that was of his own doing, but thats besides the point) that kept him out for about a year. As far as I'm concerned, AIH had a sore yin coming.

I'd be a little bit embarrassed if I'd posted that. Keane assaulted AIH, deliberately and with pre-meditation, and with no regard for the consequences. Don't defend the indefensible.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
FFS AIH stood over Keane because Keane had tried to do him with a shocking challenge. AIH didn't know that Keane had done his cruciate at the time. Was 100% Keane's fault for his injury. To go out and end someone's career on the back off that is utterly repulsive. The guy is a massive fanny with an even bigger chip on his shoulder. He's even managing to turn Utd fans against him with his pish

easty
09-10-2014, 06:30 AM
FFS AIH stood over Keane because Keane had tried to do him with a shocking challenge. AIH didn't know that Keane had done his cruciate at the time. Was 100% Keane's fault for his injury. To go out and end someone's career on the back off that is utterly repulsive. The guy is a massive fanny with an even bigger chip on his shoulder. He's even managing to turn Utd fans against him with his pish

Is it safe to assume you haven't actually seen Keanes tackle on AIH, when he injured himself? If you have then you have a pretty loose definition of the word shocking.

easty
09-10-2014, 06:32 AM
I'd be a little bit embarrassed if I'd posted that. Keane assaulted AIH, deliberately and with pre-meditation, and with no regard for the consequences. Don't defend the indefensible.

I'm not even a little bit embarrassed.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-10-2014, 06:49 AM
Is it safe to assume you haven't actually seen Keanes tackle on AIH, when he injured himself? If you have then you have a pretty loose definition of the word shocking.

Of course I've seen it! He tried to do him that day as well. Yes, I've seen far worse tackles(like his second cowardly attack) but to seek retribution after a pish tackle by yourself is indeed shocking. Pathetic behaviour

TRC
09-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Did AIH not admit that he had been playing with the injury before the tackle. Hence the reason he couldn't sue Keane.

Scottie
09-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Of course I've seen it! He tried to do him that day as well. Yes, I've seen far worse tackles(like his second cowardly attack) but to seek retribution after a pish tackle by yourself is indeed shocking. Pathetic behaviour

:top marks

Total cockwomble

lapsedhibee
09-10-2014, 09:48 AM

I must be missing something, as that reads as if you're arguing there's some sort of loose equivalence between (a) shouting at someone and (2) maiming someone. I'm sure you can't really be arguing that, can you? Sticks, stones, names etc.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Can i say now, when Riordan put that tackle in on Scacel, :wink: if that had finished him there and then, i'd have cheered Riordan off even louder than i did when it happened.

easty
09-10-2014, 10:12 AM
I must be missing something, as that reads as if you're arguing there's some sort of loose equivalence between (a) shouting at someone and (2) maiming someone. I'm sure you can't really be arguing that, can you? Sticks, stones, names etc.

I'm not saying they're the same, but reactions aren't always proportionate. AIH should have been expecting a reaction from Keane, and he probably was expecting something to happen between them that day. Maybe the lesson to be learned is, don't sneer over someone who's down with a serious injury, and it'll not come back and bite you in the arse.

CMac1988
09-10-2014, 10:26 AM
:hmmm:

I know, I know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf-Inge_H%C3%A5land

Read the Injuries and Retirements section and follow the references. The injury was pre existing and he changed his tune when he thought he could get some kind of settlement.

Geo_1875
09-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Roy Keane is the type who questions everyone and everything, but cannot handle coming under scrutiny himself. He strikes me as a manipulative bully , a horrible excuse for a man..

He learned all that at the feet of the master, and Fergie taught him a thing or two.

WeeRussell
09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm just basing it on direct quotes mate - they say spitting at another pro is the worst thing you can do.

And I agree they never get it right, closest I remember was Voller v Rijkard -that looked a proper greener.

I think you are taking their words a little too literally. There are FAR worse things in this world (use your imagination).. so bad that they don't come into reckoning when talking about "the worst things you can do" as a pro footballer... one of them being deliberately ending someone's career and showing no regret for it.

:aok:

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Great player ... played an utter blinder and won that semi for Man Utd against Juventus even though he knew he would miss the final.

An utter tool of a human being. He looks like the sort of guy who starts talking to you down the pub and failure to agree with his point of view means the discussion ends with you face down in the car park with guys in green jump suits asking you if you can remember your name.

hibeeleicester
09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Can i say now, when Riordan put that tackle in on Scacel, :wink: if that had finished him there and then, i'd have cheered Riordan off even louder than i did when it happened.

Video of this anywhere?:greengrin

emerald green
09-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Great player ... played an utter blinder and won that semi for Man Utd against Juventus even though he knew he would miss the final.

An utter tool of a human being. He looks like the sort of guy who starts talking to you down the pub and failure to agree with his point of view means the discussion ends with you face down in the car park with guys in green jump suits asking you if you can remember your name.

:agree: Roy Keane = Franko Begbie.

Good guy to have on your team. He practically won that semi-final single handed. A real captain's performance and will to win.

Cropley10
09-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Keane also learned to box and fought in some amateur bouts successfully I believe.

Sent from a phone

Leith Green
09-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Keane also learned to box and fought in some amateur bouts successfully I believe.

Sent from a phone

Pretty sure he could have picked being a professional boxer had he not been a pro footballer. He was really good at that too

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
I think you are taking their words a little too literally. There are FAR worse things in this world (use your imagination).. so bad that they don't come into reckoning when talking about "the worst things you can do" as a pro footballer... one of them being deliberately ending someone's career and showing no regret for it.

Wondering why they'd say it if they don't believe it?They don't need to imagine too much to think of a leg breaker yet they think spitting a worse.

gillythehibby
09-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Keano, Keano, Keano. *** great player. No as good as Eric, but a top man

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-10-2014, 09:29 PM
His beard is terrible.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2014, 09:38 PM
No real hardmen in the game these days, shame really.

MKHIBEE
10-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Keane did not end Haalands career. It was an injury to his left knee that forced him to stop,an injury he had been carrying for a while. Keane damaged his right knee with a tackle that was said to be nowhere near the worst one in the matches played that day

WeeRussell
10-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Wondering why they'd say it if they don't believe it?They don't need to imagine too much to think of a leg breaker yet they think spitting a worse.

I've heard lots of friends say similar, I think I have said it a few times myself.

Push came to shove - I'd still take the spit than, for example, someone cutting my c0ck off with a Samurai Sword.

Crazyhorse
10-10-2014, 11:22 AM

He has a very Appalachian look at the moment.
Sittin' on the porch without no shoes...
Occasionally firing the old Remington pump action at 'things' moving out there in the woods...
Sort of look.

Crazyhorse
10-10-2014, 11:25 AM
I've heard lots of friends say similar, I think I have said it a few times myself.

Push came to shove - I'd still take the spit than, for example, someone cutting my c0ck off with a Samurai Sword.

Have to say I never saw that in a game.

Although there was of course the Chic Charnley Samurai training routine...

Bostonhibby
10-10-2014, 01:28 PM
He has a very Appalachian look at the moment.
Sittin' on the porch without no shoes...
Occasionally firing the old Remington pump action at 'things' moving out there in the woods...
Sort of look.

Agree, in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre sort of a way.

Broken Gnome
10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Keane did not end Haalands career. It was an injury to his left knee that forced him to stop,an injury he had been carrying for a while. Keane damaged his right knee with a tackle that was said to be nowhere near the worst one in the matches played that day

Second part - that's just nonsense though. A violent, nasty and completely unnatural challenge is just that. It doesn't become any more forgivable because it's graded against a tackle that may be worse. There's far worse videos on YouTube right enough - Axel Witsel's a shocker - but Keane's isn't any less horrible for the fact he didn't go waist high with two sets of studs showing.

Mikey09
10-10-2014, 02:13 PM
No real hardmen in the game these days, shame really.

Jamie Hamill?

emerald green
10-10-2014, 02:49 PM
His beard is terrible.

The Rowan Vine look.