PDA

View Full Version : Right back

Seveno
06-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Does anyone know if we have a righ back in our under 20s worth a chance when Gray is unfit or suspended ? Lewis Stevenson does a remarkable job in that position but we clearly miss the benefit of him as a left wing back.

Jonnyboy
06-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know if we have a righ back in our under 20s worth a chance when Gray is unfit or suspended ? Lewis Stevenson does a remarkable job in that position but we clearly miss the benefit of him as a left wing back.

Aaron Dunsmore plays there in the U20's and I recall him having an excellent game for the first team in a pre season friendly

Eyrie
06-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Aaron Dunsmore plays there in the U20's and I recall him having an excellent game for the first team in a pre season friendly

Was that as a right back or as a right wing back?

Jonnyboy
06-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Right back but he's got the engine to play right wing back IMO

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Whys he not considered then?

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

Jonnyboy
06-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Whys he not considered then?

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

Answer here maybe astubbs@hibernianfc.co.uk :greengrin

Seriously though, he's still developing as a player but he is at least a natural right sided defender

Seveno
06-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Answer here maybe astubbs@hibernianfc.co.uk :greengrin

Seriously though, he's still developing as a player but he is at least a natural right sided defender

Would you have played him on Saturday then?

Jonnyboy
06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Would you have played him on Saturday then?

I've only seen him a few times and he's impressed me but AS sees him every day and obviously doesn't agree :greengrin

Edit: For what it's worth I'd have played McGeouch in the right wing back role and kept Lewis on the left

jacomo
06-10-2014, 10:59 PM
I've only seen him a few times and he's impressed me but AS sees him every day and obviously doesn't agree :greengrin

Edit: For what it's worth I'd have played McGeouch in the right wing back role and kept Lewis on the left

I think just about every one of us would have kept Lewis where he was and tried a different option on the right.

HFC 0-7
07-10-2014, 08:02 AM
I think just about every one of us would have kept Lewis where he was and tried a different option on the right.

This! Must be destroying for the guy, have a blinder at left wing back and get moved to the right. Seems every time he starts playing really well he is forced to play in another position.

jacomo
07-10-2014, 08:13 AM
This! Must be destroying for the guy, have a blinder at left wing back and get moved to the right. Seems every time he starts playing really well he is forced to play in another position.

:agree:

keep the faith
07-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Couldn't agree more.

MB62
07-10-2014, 08:23 AM

This proves to me that Stubbs is trying to con us with the old 'Lexo' theory that he plays 3-5-2 despite the fact his two wide midfielders are defenders. If it was a genuine 3-5-2 then McGeouch and Harris e.g. would have been our two wide guys. Having Davy and Lewis there is 5-3-2, although both are decent at getting up the park.

I never see the point in changing two positions to accommodate the loss of one.

J-C
07-10-2014, 08:59 AM
This proves to me that Stubbs is trying to con us with the old 'Lexo' theory that he plays 3-5-2 despite the fact his two wide midfielders are defenders. If it was a genuine 3-5-2 then McGeouch and Harris e.g. would have been our two wide guys. Having Davy and Lewis there is 5-3-2, although both are decent at getting up the park.

I think people for get that Lewis is a left sided midfielder, he won MOM in the cup final playing there, so playing as a wing back is also very natural to him, unfortunately Lewis is aslo capapble of being a very good left back which has hindered his devepoment as a midfielder.

3-5-2 or 5-3-2 are basically the same, the wing backs/left midfielders need to have the energy levels to work extremely hard during a game as they cover the whole length of the pitch. Against Rangers we played a 5-3-2 with a counter attack mantality, play against lesser teams that should turn into a 3-5-2 with control/attack mentality with the wing backs being pushed upfield more, leaving the 3 at the back to do the defending as they'll generally only be playing against 1 striker.
having Lewis on the right meant his attacking capabilities were negated as he stopped to go onto his left foot a lot, in this case we should've had a right sided midfielder playing there but there's not one in the squad who is capable of doing the duties of attack and defend.

Brightside
07-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Thats just plain wrong. In a 352 the WBs are normally attck minded full backs with lashings of stamina. Harris would be possibly the worst player in history for that role and i like the lad. I've also seen nothing from McGeough to think he'd make an RWB.

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
I think i am one of Stevenson's biggest critics but he has done great as a LWB. i feel genuinely sorry for him habing to be forced into playing a certain position.

No wonder he gets pelters, he was at fault for the Nade goal where he never got close initially, this would never have happened on his good side. He always seemed keen to tunr onto his left when he had the ball as opposed to getting his head down and running.

I would have played Dunsmore. Im assuming he's above 17?

If this is the case what is the problem. Most people can go out to work then? I made my senior rugby debut at 16 and i'm sure many others made debuts at similiar ages. I dont get this 'developing' player drivel.

R11Loaded
07-10-2014, 10:12 AM
I think i am one of Stevenson's biggest critics but he has done great as a LWB. i feel genuinely sorry for him habing to be forced into playing a certain position.

No wonder he gets pelters, he was at fault for the Nade goal where he never got close initially, this would never have happened on his good side. He always seemed keen to tunr onto his left when he had the ball as opposed to getting his head down and running.

I would have played Dunsmore. Im assuming he's above 17?

If this is the case what is the problem. Most people can go out to work then? I made my senior rugby debut at 16 and i'm sure many others made debuts at similiar ages. I dont get this 'developing' player drivel.

Dunsy should be 18 this year, went to school with my sister

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Billy Whizz
07-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Going to the under 20's game tonight, hopefully he'll be playing, he was one of our better players against Motherwell 2 weeks ago

MB62
07-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Thats just plain wrong. In a 352 the WBs are normally attck minded full backs with lashings of stamina. Harris would be possibly the worst player in history for that role and i like the lad. I've also seen nothing from McGeough to think he'd make an RWB.

Aye, ok Lexo :greengrin

mentalhibee
07-10-2014, 10:58 AM

He played RWB against East Fife in a friendly. Looked good in the 2nd half that night.

allezsauzee
07-10-2014, 12:18 PM
I think we should have gone back to 4-4-2 with Lewis at LB ,Forster at RB , Kennedy Left Mid, Allan or McGeough right midfield. I don't think there's any need to play 3 CHs at home to Raith.

hibee-boys
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Our management teams, of late, have preferred to deploy players out of position rather than give youngsters a chance. It was certainly evident under TB, now it would seem that AS is following suit, appreciate it's early days though. The strategy of going for an out of position experienced player over a young player didn't do TB any favours, I hope AS doesn't fall into the same trap this year.

Why is it that other teams in Scotland, never mind England, are able to produce youngsters ready for first team action at a very young age whereas we struggle to produce them. It's a worry given our 'state of the art facilities'. Perhaps explains the reason behind all the recent changes of personnel at East Mains.

JimBHibees
07-10-2014, 12:47 PM

I think you are probably right that RWB wouldnt have completely suited Dylan however he would have been a better option with him there and Lewis left than Booth was on the left.

R'Albin
07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Again, is this not another case of us lacking a proper DM? The 3-5-2 can work by having the DM sit pretty much in CB when the full backs push up thus giving four at the back and allowing the LCB and RCB to temporarily play LB and RB respectively.

Or something like that anyway :greengrin

J-C
07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Again, is this not another case of us lacking a proper DM? The 3-5-2 can work by having the DM sit pretty much in CB when the full backs push up thus giving four at the back and allowing the LCB and RCB to temporarily play LB and RB respectively.

Or something like that anyway :greengrin

You would never play with 3 CB's at the back, a DM is needed when you play a back 4, then he covers any of the WB's when they go forward but we don't have a DM which is weird because I'm pretty sure we had a bucket load of them not too long ago. :confused:

Franck Stanton
07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
I think people for get that Lewis is a left sided midfielder, he won MOM in the cup final playing there, so playing as a wing back is also very natural to him, unfortunately Lewis is aslo capapble of being a very good left back which has hindered his devepoment as a midfielder.

3-5-2 or 5-3-2 are basically the same, the wing backs/left midfielders need to have the energy levels to work extremely hard during a game as they cover the whole length of the pitch. Against Rangers we played a 5-3-2 with a counter attack mantality, play against lesser teams that should turn into a 3-5-2 with control/attack mentality with the wing backs being pushed upfield more, leaving the 3 at the back to do the defending as they'll generally only be playing against 1 striker.
having Lewis on the right meant his attacking capabilities were negated as he stopped to go onto his left foot a lot, in this case we should've had a right sided midfielder playing there but there's not one in the squad who is capable of doing the duties of attack and defend.

Agree with every word except the last line. Dylan McGeogh [sp] is more than capable, and in any case would cause the least ammount of disruption to the team set up.

J-C
07-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Agree with every word except the last line. Dylan McGeogh [sp] is more than capable, and in any case would cause the least ammount of disruption to the team set up.

I thought McGeoch was an attacking central mid not a RM, TBH Robertson has the energy to play a wide midfield role as at the moment he offers very little in the middle.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2014, 07:43 PM
He played RWB against East Fife in a friendly. Looked good in the 2nd half that night.

:agree: That's the game I alluded to in my earlier post

Billy Whizz
07-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Dunsmore went off injured late in the game tonight, some sort of muscle injury by the looks of it

MontrealHibs
09-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Looks like Paul Quinn is coming in until the end of the season as competition/cover. Did well at Motherwell and OK down south...:thumbsup:

leggeto
09-10-2014, 08:27 AM

Give him a chance,its the right league to do it,not like we're going to be promoted anyway

Kato
09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Stubbs is trying to con us

Deary me.

Lewis has had few assists since he's been played there and Gray scored from about 6 yards at Ibrox.

Where's the "con".

JimBHibees
09-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Give him a chance,its the right league to do it,not like we're going to be promoted anyway

Why not?

JimBHibees
09-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Looks like Paul Quinn is coming in until the end of the season as competition/cover. Did well at Motherwell and OK down south...:thumbsup:

If fit, straight into the team on Saturday IMO giving Gray another week to recover with future games in mind.