PDA

View Full Version : Sports Scientists

Ozyhibby
06-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Is it just my imagination or have our second half performances been a lot worse than our first's this season?
Surely the opposite should be true now that we are paying for sport scientists and fitness coaches with personalised fitness plans for the players?

S4uzee
06-10-2014, 12:10 PM
We concede a few goals between 46-60 minutes and the other teams always seem to be on top in that period

Gus Fring
06-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd argue that we've had just as many good second half performances as bad ones. Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath for example. We did well against Rangers and Ross County as well, 2 teams that had every right to come out in the second half and turn us over.

Ozyhibby
06-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Are Dumbarton and Cowdenbeith part time?
Might explain why we did a bit better?
And we were a lot better in the first half against the new Rangers.

Gus Fring
06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Are Dumbarton and Cowdenbeith part time?
Might explain why we did a bit better?
And we were a lot better in the first half against the new Rangers.

We were better in the first half because we still had David Gray on the park and didn't need to bring on Booth and have a left footed player playing on the right.

Comparing the the second half to the first half for almost any team will usually result in them not playing quite as well. Sports Science doesn't somehow make you fitter in the second half than you were in the first.

Ozyhibby
06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I never said it does. I just hoped it might make us fitter than the teams we are playing against who don't have a sport scientist or a fitness and nutritionist.
If it's not making us fitter than those teams then I think it's only fair to question whether we are getting value for money? With that back room staff we should be the fittest in the league. We are not and I'm curious as to why?

Haymaker
06-10-2014, 05:56 PM
It may take a while for it to take hold however in the long term it is worth it.

Ozyhibby
06-10-2014, 05:59 PM
It may take a while for it to take hold however in the long term it is worth it.

Jam tomorrow?

Gus Fring
06-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I never said it does. I just hoped it might make us fitter than the teams we are playing against who don't have a sport scientist or a fitness and nutritionist.
If it's not making us fitter than those teams then I think it's only fair to question whether we are getting value for money? With that back room staff we should be the fittest in the league. We are not and I'm curious as to why?

We're only 8 weeks into the season so I don't think it's fair to judge the impact of the new fitness regime just yet.

There's been a few posts recently bemoaning a lot of the back room staff and questioning their abilities and "value". I don't know know how much these people are paid so I can't comment on if they are worth it or not but fitness is an area we've neglected for years.

Sports science is about a lot more than just making the team better than part time opposition in the second half of a few matches. It's also about injury prevention and prolonging the players quality of life after they exit the game.

Haymaker
06-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Jam tomorrow?

:greengrin

majorhibs
06-10-2014, 11:55 PM
We're only 8 weeks into the season so I don't think it's fair to judge the impact of the new fitness regime just yet.

There's been a few posts recently bemoaning a lot of the back room staff and questioning their abilities and "value". I don't know know how much these people are paid so I can't comment on if they are worth it or not but fitness is an area we've neglected for years.

Sports science is about a lot more than just making the team better than part time opposition in the second half of a few matches. It's also about injury prevention and prolonging the players quality of life after they exit the game.

How about, this novel old fashioned idea, just being a wee bit BETTER than the other team? Just for a bit, see if the fans like it? You see, virtually every other team we are making a meal of it against in this league, dont have even close to the resources or staff or employees of Hibs. Tell you what, if anything or everything Hibs did for him, improved the clown malkowskis life, then there is no justice in anything. Criminals offend & do their time. Malkowski with Hartley gave them a result that they were all over. Shocking. But wait. So did Fenlon! Nah, we all ken where the blame is - petrie - champion of hearts - stand up. Nae other conclusion left, he wants the dirty west side of Edinburgh to come out on top. Why else would he run Hibs into the ground & force us into humiliation after humiliation against the poppy theives?

majorhibs
07-10-2014, 12:04 AM

And while we are at it, just effing how, thats HOW, can we not get even near that shower of conning swindling muppets when just short months ago, they were allegedly toiling? How are we now so far behind them & just throwing excuses & blame at each other? How the F has it come to this? How badly has Hibs been run that we are now, again, getting humiliated by hearts. I am sorry but my drunken conclusion the nite after so long is that Rod Petrie must be a hearts fan. How else could anyone explain this humiliation that Hibs have suffered this last few years. Sorry - Rod Petrie must be hearts fan is my take on it. So the double agent who has destroyed Hibs must leave.

hibbymick
07-10-2014, 06:22 AM
And still he wanders about behind the goals on match day like he's not got a care in the world, talking to anyone who cares to listen.

matty_f
07-10-2014, 06:30 AM
And still he wanders about behind the goals on match day like he's not got a care in the world, talking to anyone who cares to listen.

The Sports Scientist?

Ozyhibby
07-10-2014, 06:49 AM
The Sports Scientist?

:-)

Ronniekirk
07-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Is it just my imagination or have our second half performances been a lot worse than our first's this season?
Surely the opposite should be true now that we are paying for sport scientists and fitness coaches with personalised fitness plans for the players?

The opposition can smell the fear ( that's not rocket science ),and have been jeed up by rousing half time time pep talk that tells them to have confidence and pass the ball ,up the tempo and attack .Hibs will go into thier shell ,use all thier energy worrying about getting beat at home .they rarely keep a clean sheet so one goal may be enough to get us a point .When they are under pressure they just clear thier lines and the ball will come straight back to us as they aren't composed it's just get rid of the ball However my basic point is teams don't Fear coming to play us and the longer the game goes the more confident they get .
In a couple of games we have thrown the three subs on early enough to make a difference and it energised us and we just went for it ,and it paid off ,but that won't always work . he often brings on subs too late ,and as someone else said , some of those gung ho performances have been against part time teams .

Ronniekirk
07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Jam tomorrow?
Burnt Toast and Crumbs Today

CRAZYHIBBY
07-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Did mcleish and mowbray have sports scientists ?..... Do we even need them. ?... Do we even need half of the back room staff we brought in, especially when the money could have been better spent on players to get us back to the premier

Gus Fring
07-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Did mcleish and mowbray have sports scientists ?..... Do we even need them. ?... Do we even need half of the back room staff we brought in, especially when the money could have been better spent on players to get us back to the premier

Which player could we have brought in that would have played for the same wage as a sports scientist?
(An admittedly quick search tells me they are on about 20-25k a year)

Once again someone alludes to the "back room staff we brought in", with no mention of the fact we let most of our back room staff go. Who is it in our back room staff that's surplus to requirements? What roles do we have that most other teams in this league do not?

Having a good sports scientist can help us bring in good players as a lot of players won't go to clubs without them.

Ozyhibby
07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Maybe we need a sports scientist but the ones we have are just not performing? It's quite common at Easter road.

Gus Fring
07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Maybe we need a sports scientist but the ones we have are just not performing? It's quite common at Easter road.

Based on what measurement? We're 8 weeks in to the season. It doesn't matter how fit a football player is if he's rubbish. Sports scientists do a LOT more than improve second half performances.

CRAZYHIBBY
07-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Based on what measurement? We're 8 weeks in to the season. It doesn't matter how fit a football player is if he's rubbish. Sports scientists do a LOT more than improve second half performances.

I didn't realise improving second half performances was part of their job and as our second half performances have generally been ***** then i reckon they are a waste of resources

Shore Thing
07-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Maybe we need a sports scientist scientist to improve the sports scientists performance? :devil:

Persevere80
07-10-2014, 10:17 AM
John Collins is the only manager I ever remember mention sports scientists. I thought it sounded a great idea. I'm sure there was a write up about it in the evening news but I can't find a link.

West hamBERNIAN
07-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Pretty sure Mowbray Had sports scientists, had everything else, diet experts, remember benji saying stopping the chicken curries was hard but he was seeing the benefit. Also brought in some mad camara system that watched each players individual performances, ie distance covered, work rate .