PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the Hamilton Accies Success Story

Keith_M
05-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Hamilton have just beaten Celtc at Parkead and gone top of the League. How did a small Club with a tiny support and limited budget get where they are now?

That's the focus of an article (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/stand-out-football-nursery-is-not-just-for-show-and-tell.25509141) in the Herald. It makes for very interesting reading.

"Alex Neil, the player-manager, says the key is "patience". Ronnie MacDonald, once the club chairman and currently vice-chairman, says it is all about "continuity". Between these two men are numerous coaches, dieticians and scouts who have made Hamilton, in their own way, one of the remarkable stories of British football."

It's obvious, get a Chairman called Ronald McDonald :wink:

Real Emerald
05-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Hamilton have just beaten Celtc at Parkead and gone top of the League. How did a small Club with a tiny support and limited budget get where they are now?

That's the focus of an article (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/stand-out-football-nursery-is-not-just-for-show-and-tell.25509141) in the Herald. It makes for very interesting reading.

"Alex Neil, the player-manager, says the key is "patience". Ronnie MacDonald, once the club chairman and currently vice-chairman, says it is all about "continuity". Between these two men are numerous coaches, dieticians and scouts who have made Hamilton, in their own way, one of the remarkable stories of British football."

I'm loving it!

Mr White
05-10-2014, 04:44 PM
As opposed to managers who may as well be dressed like him.

J-C
05-10-2014, 04:52 PM
It's a club who had a vision to succeed and laid down a blue print to do just that, whereas we have an owner and chairman who aren't that bothered about challenging for the top as long as books are balanced and a safe mid table is got with a wee cup run now and then, then they're happy. :confused:

emerald green
05-10-2014, 04:53 PM
From what I've heard Hamilton really road their luck today, and got their first win at Celtic Park since 1938.

Real Emerald
05-10-2014, 04:55 PM
It's a club who had a vision to succeed and laid down a blue print to do just that, whereas we have an owner and chairman who aren't that bothered about challenging for the top as long as books are balanced and a safe mid table is got with a wee cup run now and then, then they're happy. :confused:

:top marksfor the bit in bold.

LaMotta
05-10-2014, 05:01 PM
From what I've heard Hamilton really road their luck today, and got their first win at Celtic Park since 1938.

I was at the game today and whilst Celtic missed a couple of gilt edged chances, Hamilton also could have also scored a couple more goals.

Some of their one touch passing was brilliant to be honest.

Real Emerald
05-10-2014, 05:02 PM

We were listening to Sportsound (I know) before the game yesterday and were discussing how the Sportsound team love to champion the Hamilton's and Ross County type teams saying how good it is they're in the Premiership. Then the very next topic is what's gone wrong with Scottish football. Well maybe it's because wee *****y teams like those are overpopulating the top league and no one wants to watch it. They seem to take great delight in the fact Hibs went down but then ask why Scottish football is in decline. Just saying :agree:

ScottB
05-10-2014, 05:10 PM
They play decent stuff, and basically, they are riding a wave of confidence that started with beating us. Self belief can do wonders, as it is for Hamilton, and a lack of it can see teams plumb the depths, as we are..

Kato
05-10-2014, 05:16 PM
owner and chairman who aren't that bothered

In a nutshell.

emerald green
05-10-2014, 05:25 PM
In a nutshell.

Yep. Strong leadership (both on and off the pitch) has been non existent for years at ER, resulting inevitably in our club being relegated. Hibs still don't have strong leaders on the pitch.

I have to exclude LD and AS from this criticism, for now, as they have been left to try to repair years of mis-management at this club. It won't be easy.

California-Hibs
05-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I was at the game today and whilst Celtic missed a couple of gilt edged chances, Hamilton also could have also scored a couple more goals.

Some of their one touch passing was brilliant to be honest.

Not wanting to be controversial, more curious, but why were you at a Celtic game?

Smartie
05-10-2014, 05:32 PM
I think the likes of Hamilton Accies and Ross County deserve all the plaudits that come their way. Instead of moaning about the fans and finances they don't have, they've set about making the most of what actually has come their way. They are where they are (in the top league) entirely on merit whilst the likes of ourselves, The Rangers, Hearts and Dunfermline find ourselves floundering in lower leagues thanks to different types of mismanagement. It is entirely wrong to begrudge these teams their success and instead we should look to learn from them.

It is an interesting point about ownership and direction though. I'm always impressed when you hear the chairmen of St Johnstone, Dundee United, ICT and Hamilton Accies (Ross County too but they're having a poorer time of late so I'll leave them out for now) - arguably Aberdeen too. They seem to have a passion for their club and a real desire for sporting achievement at their clubs whilst they appreciate that finances have to be kept in check. Hopefully we're going to be going in the right direction, and I have been a bit more impressed with the game that LD has talked so far, but unfortunately at board room level we have been leagues below these teams for years, in spite of the embarrassment of riches that we have over them elsewhere (fan base, stadium, training ground) etc.

hibees 7062
05-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Some of us wanted them in the cup :greengrin

DH1875
05-10-2014, 06:01 PM

I've heard different.

emerald green
05-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I think the likes of Hamilton Accies and Ross County deserve all the plaudits that come their way. Instead of moaning about the fans and finances they don't have, they've set about making the most of what actually has come their way. They are where they are (in the top league) entirely on merit whilst the likes of ourselves, The Rangers, Hearts and Dunfermline find ourselves floundering in lower leagues thanks to different types of mismanagement. It is entirely wrong to begrudge these teams their success and instead we should look to learn from them.

It is an interesting point about ownership and direction though. I'm always impressed when you hear the chairmen of St Johnstone, Dundee United, ICT and Hamilton Accies (Ross County too but they're having a poorer time of late so I'll leave them out for now) - arguably Aberdeen too. They seem to have a passion for their club and a real desire for sporting achievement at their clubs whilst they appreciate that finances have to be kept in check. Hopefully we're going to be going in the right direction, and I have been a bit more impressed with the game that LD has talked so far, but unfortunately at board room level we have been leagues below these teams for years, in spite of the embarrassment of riches that we have over them elsewhere (fan base, stadium, training ground) etc.

I hope my earlier post didn't come across as begrudging Hamilton their current success. For a club of their size, with their comparative resources, to be where they are today is an excellent achievement, so well done to them.

I agree with much of what you say. As I said in an earlier post there has been absolutely no leadership at Hibs, both on and off the pitch, for years now. LD & AS have a massive job on their hands turning things around at ER.

emerald green
05-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I've heard different.

Wow, there's a surprise. :greengrin Victor Park posted he was at the game so perhaps he's best placed to say.

LaMotta
05-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Not wanting to be controversial, more curious, but why were you at a Celtic game?

Took my fiance's wee brother as a favour cos his Dad couldn't make it today - free ticket, so it didn't cost me :greengrin

Bizaarely, after years of buying the Happy Hibee half time draw and winning hee haw, I bought one ticket for the Celtic draw and my number came up, although unfortunately it wasn't the first prize of £12,000, i did win a Celtic signed football, which I shall be donating to a forthcoming charity auction.

Griffiths must be be going mad not getting in to that team - Wakaso in particular was pure honking.

LaMotta
05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Wow, there's a surprise. :greengrin Victor Park posted he was at the game so perhaps he's best placed to say.

They were a wee bit lucky Celtic's finishing was so poor, but Hamiton were very good and as I said could have had two or three themselves.

emerald green
05-10-2014, 06:28 PM
They were a wee bit lucky Celtic's finishing was so poor, but Hamiton were very good and as I said could have had two or three themselves.

Thanks for that. :aok:

ekhibee
05-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Ronald McDonald was on Off The Ball yesterday, and it's really worth listening to the podcast if available, he spoke a lot of sense and made a lot of good points.

Hibs Class
05-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Might also be worth looking at both supports, we have a support that is maybe less inclined to be patient than Hamilton's were.

ancient hibee
05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Hamilton have outperformed their lack of resources on the back of a strong youth set up.

Ross have outperformed their lack of resources by bringing in new foreign players each season on one year contracts and ignoring a youth set up.

You pays your money and you make your choice.No "right"way to prosper.

Smartie
05-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I hope my earlier post didn't come across as begrudging Hamilton their current success. For a club of their size, with their comparative resources, to be where they are today is an excellent achievement, so well done to them.

I agree with much of what you say. As I said in an earlier post there has been absolutely no leadership at Hibs, both on and off the pitch, for years now. LD & AS have a massive job on their hands turning things around at ER.

I didn't think anything that you said came across like you begrudged them their success at all. There was another post though that suggested that one of the reasons Scottish Football is toiling is because of the overpopulation of wee teams in the top league and it is an opinion that you hear quite a lot. My point was mainly that the small clubs performing well is the least of our worries in Scotland - I'd say that they are leading the way and showing other, bigger clubs how it should be done.

Kato
05-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Yep. Strong leadership (both on and off the pitch) has been non existent for years at ER, resulting inevitably in our club being relegated. Hibs still don't have strong leaders on the pitch.

I have to exclude LD and AS from this criticism, for now, as they have been left to try to repair years of mis-management at this club. It won't be easy.

Agreed. I've given up on seeing a swift turnaround in our fortunes and am ready for the long (bloody long) haul.

For what it's worth sometimes a quick fix can be fleeting, whereas putting strong roots down and building slowly (even if forced to by the budget) can bring about a lasting remedy.

weonlywon6-2
05-10-2014, 07:35 PM

This sums up hibs for the last few years.Lets take things for granted with no ambition to drive the club forward from the top

Real Emerald
05-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I didn't think anything that you said came across like you begrudged them their success at all. There was another post though that suggested that one of the reasons Scottish Football is toiling is because of the overpopulation of wee teams in the top league and it is an opinion that you hear quite a lot. My point was mainly that the small clubs performing well is the least of our worries in Scotland - I'd say that they are leading the way and showing other, bigger clubs how it should be done.

That was my post but I was also not begrudging Ross County or Hamilton of their success, I was merely pointing out that Sportsound seemed to take great delight that Hamilton had replaced us in the Premiership and then questioned why there was no interest in the Premiership games. Going on about only 3000 at the Killie game etc. etc. and waxing lyrical about Hamilton's promotion and Hibs demise.

It was Sportsound I was getting at not Hamilton or Ross County and merely just an observation about the conversation they were having on the subject of how well Hamilton were doing, and dredging up Hibs.....hilariously!!!!

Stax
05-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Ronald McDonald was on Off The Ball yesterday, and it's really worth listening to the podcast if available, he spoke a lot of sense and made a lot of good points.
Have to agree, also thought he had an interesting take on administration / liquidation. Basically talked about the effects on small businesses & personnel getting pumped and how administration doesn't seem to have the same stigma now. Hamilton have made a few quid selling players on and have a decent youth setup. Fair play to them.

Jonnyboy
05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Have to agree, also thought he had an interesting take on administration / liquidation. Basically talked about the effects on small businesses & personnel getting pumped and how administration doesn't seem to have the same stigma now. Hamilton have made a few quid selling players on and have a decent youth setup. Fair play to them.

I heard that and wished he'd been brave enough to name and shame the clubs like Hearts and the Rangers, both guilty of the statement he made :agree:

Stax
05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I heard that and wished he'd been brave enough to name and shame the clubs like Hearts and the Rangers, both guilty of the statement he made :agree:
I thought without naming them he was still pretty clear who he was referring to but it would have been nice Jonny.

Mr White
05-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I thought without naming them he was still pretty clear who he was referring to but it would have been nice Jonny.

Probably more bothered by motherwell' s financial capers given they're local rivals and the fact that they got away with administration without suffering any punishment from the league or sfa.

esjorto
05-10-2014, 08:30 PM

The Sportsound "Team" also said Hearts have the right idea with all these great young players. However, only THREE started against Q O S!!

Stax
05-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Probably more bothered by motherwell' s financial capers given they're local rivals and the fact that they got away with administration without suffering any punishment from the league or sfa.
Fair point, forgot about Motherwell.

heretoday
05-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Well done Accies. It's almost a pleasure to have been dumped by them last May. They must have improved dramatically since then because they weren't much better than us over the two legs.

J-C
06-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Might also be worth looking at both supports, we have a support that is maybe less inclined to be patient than Hamilton's were.

I'm sorry but we have a stronger deeper history than Hamilton, we've been in the top flight almost all our history and are/were regularly getting to Europe and cup runs/wins ( league cup anyway ). We crave good football as we feel we deserve it given our footballing history, unfortunately we have a board/owner with zero ambition and see our club like one of his companies, make sure it keeps it's head above water and all's well, this is why weare less inclined to be patient, we demand that our once proud club should be feeding at the top table and regular European nights out.

danhibees1875
06-10-2014, 09:10 AM
2 years ago today, we were top of the spl.

It seems to be the nature of Scottish football that no one out with Celtic and rangers (used to be and will again be the case in a couple years) will challenge with much consistency.

A few wins here and there and they're in the same position that any other club could be in having had a purple patch at the beginning of a season.