PDA

View Full Version : Urgency, Intensity

Tyler Durden
04-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Have these words been spoken this year in a Hibs pre-match or HT team talk?

Totally appalling lack of urgency and desire to get goals and win games. None more so than Robertson and Craig who remain misfits. I'd seriously rather we'd paid these guys off and brought in some young hungry lower division players who actually want to fight for points.

On a separate note WTF is Stubbs thinking keeping Stevenson at RWB for the full 90 (not a criticism of the player). The promised flexible tactics have failed to materialise, very poor decisions before and during today's game.

Cod Boy
04-10-2014, 04:34 PM
We should be going at teams with a attacking formation playing with two winger and two up front in this league. Thats what Hearts are doing and are winning games by half time.

GreenArmyyy!
04-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Completely lacking all over the pitch.

Gmack7
04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
We should be going at teams with a attacking formation playing with two winger and two up front in this league. Thats what Hearts are doing and are winning games by half time.
:agree:

Hibstrooper
04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Been saying this for weeks. Best word to sum up Hibs is pedestrian.

Hearts go for the jugular from the off and maintain that momentum until the game is truly dead and buried. We have a belief that if we are patient and take our time our quality will reap rewards.

I'm sorry but it just isn't working. Get your finger out your ass and play at a tempo that will get us up this league otherwise we will be battling it out for a playoff place.

Tyler Durden
04-10-2014, 05:01 PM

I've been saying all week that we had to start Harris or Kennedy on the right today. We basically sacrificed any attacking threat down that side by playing Lewis there. Also weakens the left after Lewis had provided 3 assists in 1.5 games playing LWB.

Coupled with Robertson sitting so deep we had far too many passengers. With 3 CBs we didn't need anyone holding. The goal was the only time Robertson actually pushed forward and tried to get involved in the box.

Regardless of all that, if the players just showed more energy and tried to get on the front foot more we likely win. The fans respond, players are lifted, opposition think twice about pushing forward etc.

Instead we are always waiting for something to happen.

marleyhib
04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
First half ok, second half awful. Way too deep, strikers isolated - no penetration. Crying out for pace out wide. We looked better when McGeough came on for Craig. Would have liked to see Kennedy.

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 05:14 PM
I've been saying all week that we had to start Harris or Kennedy on the right today. We basically sacrificed any attacking threat down that side by playing Lewis there. Also weakens the left after Lewis had provided 3 assists in 1.5 games playing LWB.

Coupled with Robertson sitting so deep we had far too many passengers. With 3 CBs we didn't need anyone holding. The goal was the only time Robertson actually pushed forward and tried to get involved in the box.

Regardless of all that, if the players just showed more energy and tried to get on the front foot more we likely win. The fans respond, players are lifted, opposition think twice about pushing forward etc.

We were one nil up and playing for time at 60 minutes. We are playing Raith at home in the championship, charging premiership prices and we're trying to waste time and slow game down with 30 minutes to go. Worrying, is the best I can think of! As for Robertson, at least he won the hide and seek contest today!

Pretty Boy
04-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Don't think urgency and intensity is the biggest issue, it's a lack of quality.

How many of Liam Craigs corners hit the 1st man or landed in the keepers hands? 70% plus. At least 4 times Scott Allan picked the wrong option in a threatening position. Several times we had a player receive the ball and rather than open their body they moved back the way the ball had comes and i to a congested area, more than once it appeared this was because they didn't want to take a touch on their weaker foot. So many moves broke down in the final.3rd because of inaccurate passing, passes hit too hard, too soft, too high, at the wrong time..... All quality issues and all preventing us taking commanding leads in games like today.

We've played as good as a full round of fixtures now and we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title which was our stated aim.

Forza Fred
04-10-2014, 05:31 PM
I obviously haven't see much of us this season but I echo any comments about going hard at so called part time clubs right from kick off.

To log on, and find that we manage to beat Cowdenbeath in the final seconds of the game, as opposed to having whipped them 4or 5 nothing is not what I want.

We shouldn't be COMPETING with the majority of sides in this division, we should be STEAMROLLING them.

Standing back and letting them play is courting disaster.

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Stevenson at rwb slowed everything down today. Allan gave the ball away more than he kept it and I've never seen a ball bounce off a player as much as it does with Robertson.

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Stevenson at rwb slowed everything down today. Allan gave the ball away more than he kept it and I've never seen a ball bounce off a player as much as it does with Robertson.

Allan did all the hard things right, turning players, making space for himself and driving forward but when he had the final (easier) ball to play he seemed to panic. It must have happened about 5 times today when he had the opportunity to put someone through but failed.

Alfred E Newman
04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
You have got to have sympathy for Stevenson. Man of the match on Monday and shifted to the right again thanks to lack of decent cover in the squad. Surely there is some right sided player on the books that could play right back.

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 05:42 PM
You have got to have sympathy for Stevenson. Man of the match on Monday and shifted to the right again thanks to lack of decent cover in the squad. Surely there is some right sided player on the books that could play right back.

Totally agree, we lost out in 2 positions today by shifting him over. He HAD to slow play down as he consistently needed to get the ball onto his left foot.

marleyhib
04-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Thought Allan was our best player. Final ball let him down quite a few times though.

ancient hibee
04-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Totally agree, we lost out in 2 positions today by shifting him over. He HAD to slow play down as he consistently needed to get the ball onto his left foot.

Afraid Stubbs committed the cardinal sin of making two changes when only one was needed.As a result both wide positions were weakened.Hope he learns from the mistakes he makes.

ancient hibee
04-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Thought Allan was our best player. Final ball let him down quite a few times though.

As his game has to be about delivering the final ball can't see that he could possibly be the best player.I don't blame him for trying -he played urgently-but either he's telegraphing the passes or he panics.

Tyler Durden
04-10-2014, 06:04 PM

How many of Liam Craigs corners hit the 1st man or landed in the keepers hands? 70% plus. At least 4 times Scott Allan picked the wrong option in a threatening position. Several times we had a player receive the ball and rather than open their body they moved back the way the ball had comes and i to a congested area, more than once it appeared this was because they didn't want to take a touch on their weaker foot. So many moves broke down in the final.3rd because of inaccurate passing, passes hit too hard, too soft, too high, at the wrong time..... All quality issues and all preventing us taking commanding leads in games like today.

We've played as good as a full round of fixtures now and we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title which was our stated aim.

I agree there's a lack of quality, thought our set pieces were excellent for the first 3 games but now we've reverted to the loft with no pace. And talking of Craig's lack of quality, how poor was his back post volley first half? That was a great chance.

Ability aside though, it doesn't look like we're even trying to play with tempo.

Pete
04-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Allen found the final ball difficult because we were outnumbered in midfield. Playing three centre halves with Lewis and Booth at home to Raith is lunacy. What's worse is that he never changed the formation for the whole 90. All he did was rearrange the deck chairs on a sinking ship with his subs. Really disappointed.

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Allen found the final ball difficult because we were outnumbered in midfield. Playing three centre halves with Lewis and Booth at home to Raith is lunacy. What's worse is that he never changed the formation for the whole 90. All he did was rearrange the deck chairs on a sinking ship with his subs. Really disappointed.

It did look like we were outnumbered but we had 5 in there.

I thought Allan looked good at times but he does give the ball away a hell of a lot.

emerald green
04-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Did he play Stevenson at right back ("wing back") because Hibs don't have anyone else good enough to play right back at the club at first team level? If so, for a club that professes to be a "big club" that's a disgrace.

Stevenson frequently had to check, and move the ball onto his left foot, before making a pass or a cross.

Before I get slaughtered, this is not me having a go at Lewis Stevenson. He was asked to play right back, done his best, but that is not his position.

Jonnyboy
04-10-2014, 06:14 PM

This is it in a nutshell for me. No urgency, slow build up and poor final pass has been the norm all season

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 06:15 PM

But we could have had 5 in midfield in that set up by adapting to the situations. I don't think we will improve until we can replace Craig and Robertson in there, although on paper they should be good experienced players who help the youngsters. It's baffling how poor they can be at times.

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Did he play Stevenson at right back ("wing back") because Hibs don't have anyone else good enough to play right back at the club at first team level? If so, for a club that professes to be a "big club" that's a disgrace.

Stevenson frequently had to check, and move the ball onto his left foot, before making a pass or a cross.

Before I get slaughtered, this is not me having a go at Lewis Stevenson. He was asked to play right back, done his best, but that is not his position.

He finished the game the other night in that position so maybe he thought he should continue?

Wrong call though - with him only being able to use one foot it slowed everything down. He could play there if we need to defend more but in agame like that at home we could've played Stanton or Harris on the right.

Jonnyboy
04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
It did look like we were outnumbered but we had 5 in there.

I thought Allan looked good at times but he does give the ball away a hell of a lot.

This is my one frustration about a clever player like SA. Seems to always look for the World Cup pass rather than pick out a team mate wide

emerald green
04-10-2014, 06:21 PM
He finished the game the other night in that position so maybe he thought he should continue?

Wrong call though - with him only being able to use one foot it slowed everything down. He could play there if we need to defend more but in agame like that at home we could've played Stanton or Harris on the right.

:agree:

Hiber-nation
04-10-2014, 06:44 PM
As his game has to be about delivering the final ball can't see that he could possibly be the best player.I don't blame him for trying -he played urgently-but either he's telegraphing the passes or he panics.

Or there wasn't enough movement up front....or probably all 3.

Hiber-nation
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Definitely. That's why no matter how the formation is changed, or the personnel are changed, the same problems exist.

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Or there wasn't enough movement up front....or probably all 3.

There was good movement upfront with the strikers running into scoring positions, he just failed to make what appeared to be quite easy passes.

Hiber-nation
04-10-2014, 06:48 PM
There was good movement upfront with the strikers running into scoring positions, he just failed to make what appeared to be quite easy passes.

Malonga hardly moved all afternoon. I think Allan will put it all together eventually though.

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Malonga hardly moved all afternoon. I think Allan will put it all together eventually though.

He done everything else right so I think he will too.

emerald green
04-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Allan did all the hard things right, turning players, making space for himself and driving forward but when he had the final (easier) ball to play he seemed to panic. It must have happened about 5 times today when he had the opportunity to put someone through but failed.

:agree: That's what makes all the difference between a decent player, and a really good player.

I was thinking the same a couple of times today when Allan picked the wrong pass that if it had been say, a player like Russell Latapy or Alex Edwards, they would have more often than not picked the correct pass, and laid it on a plate for their team mate into the bargain.

Brooster
04-10-2014, 06:55 PM
The back 3 plus Craig, Robertson and Stevenson all play slow motion football which has a real impact on our ability to play any decent football.

Carheenlea
04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
I travelled to the game at Ibrox in the company of a Rangers supporting friend, and he lamented his sides lack of desire compared to ours where we battled for every loose ball and won most of them. We were fired up playing against Rangers and played with a real drive going forward, but today, we didn`t fight as hard or generally work as hard, and we got all we deserved out of the game.
Players need to find some desire and fight when pulling on the Hibs shirt every week, not just in games when they feel like it. They are not good enough to just pitch up and stroll through games, surely they must know this by now. I suspect a lot of our players think they are better than they actually are.

Real Emerald
04-10-2014, 07:02 PM
:agree: That's what makes all the difference between a decent player, and a really good player.

I was thinking the same a couple of times today when Allan picked the wrong pass that if it had been say, a player like Russell Latapy or Alex Edwards, they would have more often than not picked the correct pass, and laid it on a plate for their team mate into the bargain.

I don't think he picked the wrong pass, he just didn't get it to the player he was trying to hit but I know what you're saying.

fife hfc
04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
There seems to be a lack of energy and desire in midfield and if you lose the midfield you are in trouble. Robertson and Craig slow down possession and play too deep. They also stand off opponents giving teams time and space to play. We never seem to press teams high up the pitch and I'm wondering if this is Stubbs decision to drop off and allow the opponent to have the ball, if so we are not doing the second part right and limiting the space in our half.

If we plan to play three at the back I would change the midfield. Even though Stevenson has played well at left back I think I would play him in defensive midfield with Allan and Mcgeouch playing ahead. Stevenson is composed on the ball so would not lump it forward like Craig and Robertson. Allan and Mcgeouch would provide the energy and forward thrust our midfield sadly lacks. If we continue with Craig and Robertson then we will continue to struggle. Stubbs has big decisions to make but surely he sees the problems.

DaveF
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
There seems to be a lack of energy and desire in midfield and if you lose the midfield you are in trouble. Robertson and Craig slow down possession and play too deep. They also stand off opponents giving teams time and space to play. We never seem to press teams high up the pitch and I'm wondering if this is Stubbs decision to drop off and allow the opponent to have the ball, if so we are not doing the second part right and limiting the space in our half.

If we plan to play three at the back I would change the midfield. Even though Stevenson has played well at left back I think I would play him in defensive midfield with Allan and Mcgeouch playing ahead. Stevenson is composed on the ball so would not lump it forward like Craig and Robertson. Allan and Mcgeouch would provide the energy and forward thrust our midfield sadly lacks. If we continue with Craig and Robertson then we will continue to struggle. Stubbs has big decisions to make but surely he sees the problems.

Totally agree. It was amazing how much time and freedom we gave Raith in midfield to pop the ball about without attempting to apply any concerted pressure as a unit.

For me Stubbs has some questions to answer for this performance. He hung Stevenson out to dry by playing him on the right and as a result removed him from the game. Malonga was either injured from his attempted overhead kick or plainly not bothered his erse. Whatever it was, how he lasted on the pitch for the time he did was a massive error as he was as much use as a traffic cone. If we are going to play at this boring, low tempo for the rest of the season, I can honestly see me not bothering to use my ST. It was galling to watch Martin Scott tear about the pitch with an energy and desire lacking from those wearing green.

Eyrie
04-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I'd say Stubbs got both personnel and tactics wrong. With no-one other than Gray able to play RWB, he should have reverted to a back four with Forster at RB and then brought in Kennedy on the right wing to provide a threat. We need to play with more pace and intensity against the teams that will look to defend against us.

Hibby 2005
04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I travelled to the game at Ibrox in the company of a Rangers supporting friend, and he lamented his sides lack of desire compared to ours where we battled for every loose ball and won most of them. We were fired up playing against Rangers and played with a real drive going forward, but today, we didn`t fight as hard or generally work as hard, and we got all we deserved out of the game.
Players need to find some desire and fight when pulling on the Hibs shirt every week, not just in games when they feel like it. They are not good enough to just pitch up and stroll through games, surely they must know this by now. I suspect a lot of our players think they are better than they actually are.

This is the only relevant post in this thread. I went to the game with friends and we all predicted the usual collapse after the Ibrox game. The size of the crowd told it's own story.

fife hfc
04-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I'd say Stubbs got both personnel and tactics wrong. With no-one other than Gray able to play RWB, he should have reverted to a back four with Forster at RB and then brought in Kennedy on the right wing to provide a threat. We need to play with more pace and intensity against the teams that will look to defend against us.

Spot on:agree:

Paisley Hibby
04-10-2014, 10:25 PM
First half ok, second half awful. Way too deep, strikers isolated - no penetration. Crying out for pace out wide. We looked better when McGeough came on for Craig. Would have liked to see Kennedy.

This. I don't understand what it is with Craig and Robertson. All around them there are signs of improvement but they seem to be stuck in the negative, lack of confidence mind set of the past few seasons.

Tyler Durden
05-10-2014, 12:56 AM
This is the only relevant post in this thread. I went to the game with friends and we all predicted the usual collapse after the Ibrox game. The size of the crowd told it's own story.

Thanks for your critique of this thread.

I'm not sure I can make the game next week. What do you predict? Should we all just no bother?

Tyler Durden
05-10-2014, 01:02 AM

I totally agree and Forster at RB with Kennedy in front wouldn't be so far removed from 3-5-2. But..it would show we intended to go out and win the game from the start

Pete
05-10-2014, 01:06 AM

Agree to an extent. He could have either done that or drop a centre half and go with the wing backs he played today in a similar 4-4-2.

It's easy in hindsight but you have to look at where we are short and make a tactical decision based on the players at your disposal. To play a 3-5-2 you have to have pace and an attacking threat from the full backs and I can't think of any combination that would have offered that. Playing Lewis on the left is OK but Who would play on the right? If you play Lewis on the right then you have the energy but you take away some of his game...and I don't think Booth is that type of full back.

Either combination would have sufficed in a defensive back four with a midfield four in front of them. People around me were probably sick of me saying it but I knew this wasn't going to work from the start and I was proved right. This is a beatable Raith Rovers team at home and we shouldn't be going near a 3-5-2 against a team who are coming to sit in and sit in front of their back four.

I think Stubbs decided to show loyalty to the team that finished at Ibrox and told them to go out and repeat the job. He should have looked at the opposition and the players available in KEY positions and let the tail wag the dog instead. People are saying our players have no talent and are blaming individuals but I don't agree. Man for man we were better on the pitch today but our players were hung out to dry by the tactics and inability to change them. Allen, Craig and Robertson were made to look stupid.

Stubbs is a young manager and I hope he learns from this. He's showed that he can pick winning formations and teams but he has to learn when the right time to use them is....and he has to be ruthless as well as being the nice guy who's door is always open.

A hair dryer and a 4-4-2 will see us beat Dumbarton.:aok:

Tyler Durden
05-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Agree to an extent. He could have either done that or drop a centre half and go with the wing backs he played today in a similar 4-4-2.

It's easy in hindsight but you have to look at where we are short and make a tactical decision based on the players at your disposal. To play a 3-5-2 you have to have pace and an attacking threat from the full backs and I can't think of any combination that would have offered that. Playing Lewis on the left is OK but Who would play on the right? If you play Lewis on the right then you have the energy but you take away some of his game...and I don't think Booth is that type of full back.

Either combination would have sufficed in a defensive back four with a midfield four in front of them. People around me were probably sick of me saying it but I knew this wasn't going to work from the start and I was proved right. This is a beatable Raith Rovers team at home and we shouldn't be going near a 3-5-2 against a team who are coming to sit in and sit in front of their back four.

I think Stubbs decided to show loyalty to the team that finished at Ibrox and told them to go out and repeat the job. He should have looked at the opposition and the players available in KEY positions and let the tail wag the dog instead. People are saying our players have no talent and are blaming individuals but I don't agree. Man for man we were better on the pitch today but our players were hung out to dry by the tactics and inability to change them. Allen, Craig and Robertson were made to look stupid.

Stubbs is a young manager and I hope he learns from this. He's showed that he can pick winning formations and teams but he has to learn when the right time to use them is....and he has to be ruthless as well as being the nice guy who's door is always open.

A hair dryer and a 4-4-2 will see us beat Dumbarton.:aok:

I agree with a lot of this but not the part defending midfield.

Allan did his best and basically made a lot of bad calls - we can accept that.

Craig and Robertson? Simply very poor players. They did ok on Monday but when have the guys dominated a game? I actually feel for them. Craig needs to leave Hibs, it is not going to happen for him.

Robertson.... Dunno when he ever was a a player. Amazing trier -!good for him

Pete
05-10-2014, 01:55 AM
I agree with a lot of this but not the part defending midfield.

Allan did his best and basically made a lot of bad calls - we can accept that.

Craig and Robertson? Simply very poor players. They did ok on Monday but when have the guys dominated a game? I actually feel for them. Craig needs to leave Hibs, it is not going to happen for him.

Robertson.... Dunno when he ever was a a player. Amazing trier -!good for him

It was Allan mainly. He didn't have the best of games but he was trying to thread the eye of a needle too many times...which was hindered by a stuffy Raith defence/midfield and lack his lack of support. He's a class act IMO.

As for Robertson and Craig, I was trying to be kind but you're right. They didn't fit into the way Butcher wanted hibs to play and it's as if it's carried over into this regime. As a fan you desperately want it to work but they would probably happily prosper in another environment.

The managers signings so far have all been good so I'm looking forward to the window when the misfits (unfortunate term, as I don't believe Robertson and Craig are bad players) can hopefully be replaced.

Colr
05-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Football is not an intellectual game of strategy like chess!

Alfred E Newman
05-10-2014, 08:49 AM
It was Allan mainly. He didn't have the best of games but he was trying to thread the eye of a needle too many times...which was hindered by a stuffy Raith defence/midfield and lack his lack of support. He's a class act IMO.

As for Robertson and Craig, I was trying to be kind but you're right. They didn't fit into the way Butcher wanted hibs to play and it's as if it's carried over into this regime. As a fan you desperately want it to work but they would probably happily prosper in another environment.

The managers signings so far have all been good so I'm looking forward to the window when the misfits (unfortunate term, as I don't believe Robertson and Craig are bad players) can hopefully be replaced.

At least Allan was prepared to try the "killer" pass unlike Craig and Robersons safety first buck passing stuff.

emerald green
05-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Did you really mean to use the word "relevant" in your post? So all the other posts are irrelevant? :confused:

IMHO I think there are quite a lot good sensible posts on this thread, albeit you may not agree with them. That doesn't make them irrelevant does it?

If you have been a Hibs supporter any length of time, of course it wasn't difficult to predict that performance and result yesterday following Monday's excellent result at Ibrox. I've lost count of the number of times Hibs teams, good and bad, have done that over the years.

That was my big fear all week since Monday's result, and some folk were getting all carried away with themselves. There's a long way to go before we are good enough to get out of this league if we cannot beat world famous teams like Alloa, QOS and Raith Rovers.

Pete
05-10-2014, 12:08 PM

You're right but the correct tactics, formation and players can make all the difference.

blackpoolhibs
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM

If we cant do well on grass or plastic, i'm pretty sure we'd struggle with board games too.

Franck Stanton
05-10-2014, 03:11 PM
There seems to be some " unwritten rule " at Hibs nowadays where every Hibs player has to touch the ball before we start any attacks against the opposition. We are so pedestrian it is unbelievable. We desperately need to add some urgency and raise the tempo of the game. Opposition teams are succeeding in doing in two passes what we take six or seven to achieve.

ancient hibee
05-10-2014, 04:05 PM
I can understand why Stubbs is trying to play this way.Based on experience and skill a midfield of Craig,Robertson and Allan should be the equal of anything in the league but it looks like it's never going to happen for Craig and Robertson and they contribute very little in terms of trying to make chances-Allan at least never stops trying.If they all played to form we'd win lots of games but they're not so the style has to change to non stop pressure even if that means the odd hoof for Cummings to chase which he is very good at doing.Get the ball among the other teams defences and stop playing it back and forward in front of them and goals will follow.Our own defence shows that as they are quite comfortable until even a slowcoach like Nade can pressurise them into stupid mistakes.

stantonhibby
05-10-2014, 05:32 PM
This is my one frustration about a clever player like SA. Seems to always look for the World Cup pass rather than pick out a team mate wide

I said this at the game. He has clearly got ability but chose the wrong optiona few times. I like how his first instinct is to go forward though.

Smartie
05-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I said this at the game. He has clearly got ability but chose the wrong optiona few times. I like how his first instinct is to go forward though.

I like it too. He is one of our only players who seems not to be affected by "the fear". I'd have him trying these balls all day long with one coming off and possibly leading to a goal than the sideways stuff with no cutting edge that seems to be all that the other players will attempt/achieve. Kennedy and Cummings also have that directness about them, as did Lewis when he was at LWB.

I hate to bring the nightmare night back up, but Malmo were absloutely phenomenal at playing direct, forward passes to feet, controlling it under pressure and moving it on. They could cut us to pieces in 3 passes. Stubbs needs to work out how to give our players the desire and confidence to try more ambitious passes to each other. Whilst I accept that we're not in the class of the likes of Malmo, we should still be able to make short, direct passes and carve out more chances against any team we play in this league at Easter Road.

truehibernian
05-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Liam Craig is not that good a footballer. Not slating him, not being overly critical, not going to mud sling - I just don't think he is that good. Watched him in his early days at Falkirk and I don't think he has improved one jot. I don't think he brings anything to a midfield table. Flashes here and there, decent shot on him when he can be bothered - but that is the thing with Liam, he often isn't focused on the game, just himself and the play by-passing him. Another player brought in by Fenlon who likes a 'safe pass' and has only two speeds....slow and slower. If he really wants to succeed, get a decent contract at Hibs or elsewhere, he needs to be ruthless, confident and speed up his play - be far more incisive. He won't though because that is something that is within and would have shown by now in his career.

Scott Robertson on the other hand is a very tidy footballer being played too deep. My criticism of him is his fitness/fragility. He tends to 'break down' in the latter stages. Don't know why, core fitness would be my reasoning. But he is certainly one I would keep.

Switching Lewis this weekend was a tragic decision and one which cost Stubbs and Hibs dear - I simply cannot ever ever get my head around why managers outsmart themselves and potter about with positions, especially when Lewis proved his worth in style on Monday at left wingback. The correct and sensible decision would have been to use McGeouch for me.....pace, dynamic, good energy and engine. Leaving a confident Lewis on the other side.

Jonnyboy
05-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Liam Craig is not that good a footballer. Not slating him, not being overly critical, not going to mud sling - I just don't think he is that good. Watched him in his early days at Falkirk and I don't think he has improved one jot. I don't think he brings anything to a midfield table. Flashes here and there, decent shot on him when he can be bothered - but that is the thing with Liam, he often isn't focused on the game, just himself and the play by-passing him. Another player brought in by Fenlon who likes a 'safe pass' and has only two speeds....slow and slower. If he really wants to succeed, get a decent contract at Hibs or elsewhere, he needs to be ruthless, confident and speed up his play - be far more incisive. He won't though because that is something that is within and would have shown by now in his career.

Scott Robertson on the other hand is a very tidy footballer being played too deep. My criticism of him is his fitness/fragility. He tends to 'break down' in the latter stages. Don't know why, core fitness would be my reasoning. But he is certainly one I would keep.

Switching Lewis this weekend was a tragic decision and one which cost Stubbs and Hibs dear - I simply cannot ever ever get my head around why managers outsmart themselves and potter about with positions, especially when Lewis proved his worth in style on Monday at left wingback. The correct and sensible decision would have been to use McGeouch for me.....pace, dynamic, good energy and engine. Leaving a confident Lewis on the other side.

More or bless what I said on the PM board :agree:

As an aside, Scotland on Sunday's match report said Lewis played right wing back 'after coming on in that position at Ibrox' Could have sworn he started the game :greengrin

brog
05-10-2014, 07:49 PM

I posted exactly that before the game. As others have said Lewis is steady enough at RB but poses no threat going forward which therefore negates the value of a back 3. Stubbs is learning his trade & it was understandable after last 2 games that he wanted to keep the same formation but hopefully he will have realised from yesterday that we must ( as he keeps saying ) be more flexible.