PDA

View Full Version : Stubbsy's autobiography

Northernhibee
01-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Just finished reading Alan Stubbs' autobiography - a really interesting read.

Covers his views on refereeing bias in Scotland, different managers he worked under (the bits about John Barnes were interesting), playing in derbies and his battles with cancer - unusually insightful for your average football autobiography.

I'd say if I was a player I'd be looking up to Stubbsy - he comes across as really intelligent and has some really good insights into man management, unlike our last imposter.

Well worth a read if you can get your hands on it.

CallumLaidlaw
01-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Yeah read it while on holiday in July. Really enjoyed it. The man has some real fight about him. He's a real winner and knows where he wants to go in the game.

SteveHFC
01-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Spoke to one of the under 20 goalies tonight at training and he says training is really good and Stubbs is a top bloke.:thumbsup:

Greenblood70
01-10-2014, 10:59 PM
I read it too just after he was appointed, came across as a much more thoughtful bloke than I'd at first imagined. Seems absolutely in love with the game too, so I hope some of his enthusiasm and work ethic rubs off and leaves a lasting impression on the squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Yeah read it while on holiday in July. Really enjoyed it. The man has some real fight about him. He's a real winner and knows where he wants to go in the game.

Where's that then? Not Celtic I hope :confused:

Keith_M
02-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Spoke to one of the under 20 goalies tonight at training and he says training is really good and Stubbs is a top bloke.:thumbsup:

Would that not be, in Scouse parlance, "a gaffer Gaffer"?

:wink:

[awaits confirmation/denial from ScouseHibee]

Leith_Hibee
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I've read the book and really enjoyed it. The bit about Wim Janesn telling the players to go home when they were hungover...he waited until they were feeling better the next day before saying its unacceptable.

I do feel having read it that he would absolutely jump at the chance of joining sellick if the opportunity came up, his fondness for the club for the way they supported him through his cancer battle shone through.

_hucks_
02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Would that not be, in Scouse parlance, "a gaffer Gaffer"?

:wink:

[awaits confirmation/denial from ScouseHibee]

Not one I've come across in my 5 years here... A boss boss would fit, however.

TheFamous1875
02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I've read the book and really enjoyed it. The bit about Wim Janesn telling the players to go home when they were hungover...he waited until they were feeling better the next day before saying its unacceptable.

I do feel having read it that he would absolutely jump at the chance of joining sellick if the opportunity came up, his fondness for the club for the way they supported him through his cancer battle shone through.

I'd be as fine as is possible with him joining Celtic if he been here and had incredible success with us over a number of years. With this being his first job, his long term goal should be getting Hibs from where we are now to having us challenging at the top of the Premiership and winning trophies and doing relatively well in Europe. That is achievable for us within 5 years. That would be a massive achievement for his first job and he'd have more lucrative offers than Celtic from South of the border if that were the case.

CallumLaidlaw
02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Where's that then? Not Celtic I hope :confused:

Well, unfortunately he does talk about how special celtic is and how if he went into management, he would love the chance to manage their. Not really a surprising comment tho from a former captain.

Mr White
02-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Getting compo from celtic for a successful manager would make a pleasant change from sacking them and paying them off.

Michael
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Getting compo from celtic for a successful manager would make a pleasant change from sacking them and paying them off.

Agree 100%. I'd love for Stubbs to do well enough to get offers.

jacomo
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Well, unfortunately he does talk about how special celtic is and how if he went into management, he would love the chance to manage their. Not really a surprising comment tho from a former captain.

We'll turn him.

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Not one I've come across in my 5 years here... A boss boss would fit, however.

:agree: :aok: