PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Scottish Cup Final

Billy McKirdy
01-10-2014, 12:20 PM
The first cup final I remember was the epic 1979 three game contest between us and Rangers.

Although I never went to any of these games I watched the first match on tv and listened intently to the two replays on the radio.

This final(s) was probably the closest we have ever come to breaking the cup hoodoo, I know that the footage has always been the copyright of the SFA and the respective tv companies who broadcast it but am perplexed as to why Hibs have never up to now bought the rights to the game highlights and either released on video/dvd or the club webpage, this historic game.

What are your memories of this game?

JimBHibees
01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
The first cup final I remember was the epic 1979 three game contest between us and Rangers.

Although I never went to any of these games I watched the first match on tv and listened intently to the two replays on the radio.

This final(s) was probably the closest we have ever come to breaking the cup hoodoo, I know that the footage has always been the copyright of the SFA and the respective tv companies who broadcast it but am perplexed as to why Hibs have never up to now bought the rights to the game highlights and either released on video/dvd or the club webpage, this historic game.

Most abiding memory is a blatant penalty being ruled out for Hibs in the last couple of minutes of the first final which would have put all this 1902 guff to bed years ago. Brian McGinlay reffed and Colin Campbell clearly fouled late in the game.

Was only at the last game where it rained heavily most of it and thought we were going to win when Tony Higgins scored early doors however not to be in end to end game with the winner unfortunately scored by our own Arfur.

Hibby Bairn
01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Went to all 3 games. Aged 11. With my dad (hun). But in the Hibs end. Drove through in our clapped out Hillman Avenger.

I remember one of the games it was absolutely pissing down. I also remember the huns singing a sectarian song to the tune of Boney M's "Hooray Hooray It's A Happy Holiday".

As for the game I remember the Colin Campbell miss and the Arthur Duncan OG the most.

MKHIBEE
01-10-2014, 12:58 PM

I can only remember it was a goddamn awful game.

KdyHby
01-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Bus windows being smashed in under prolonged attacks, bricks flying through the air, holding the bus seats up where the windows used to be to try and avoid the bricks.

Smoke bombs pah!!

Keith_M
01-10-2014, 01:00 PM
This was during the era of Scotland's lowest Attendances and worst era of Hooliganism*, the 2nd fact being a major factor in the first. That contributed to a crowd of only 50k for the first game and around 35k for the other two matches.

A lot of the Bus Companies refused to take hires for the replays, because of all the smashed windows at the first match.

* pre-dating the casuals by a few years. Believe me, it was much worse.

Septimus
01-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Had a ticket for the match but I was diagnosed with cancer, had a very quick operation and was into the Western General for radio therapy for five days. I was in a room on my own with a TV but because of the radioactive needles I had in my face the TV reception was utterly useless.

It is all a bit of a blur to me but one thing I do know. WE WAS ROBBED.

GordonHFC
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Ahh. The old quiz question of who was the last hibs player to score the winning goal in a scottish cup final.

Billy McKirdy
01-10-2014, 01:53 PM
This was during the era of Scotland's lowest Attendances and worst era of Hooliganism*, the 2nd fact being a major factor in the first. That contributed to a crowd of only 50k for the first game and around 35k for the other two matches.

A lot of the Bus Companies refused to take hires for the replays, because of all the smashed windows at the first match.

I was at the game at Easter Road against them earlier that season (Xmas 78) and it was unsegregated I remember, at half time the Rangers fans moved en mass to the upper tier of the east terracing and reigned bits of concrete, bottles and other missiles down on the lower tier for the rest of the match, unbelievable when you think about it now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Went to all 3 games, first one as many have said after the game the ****bag polis just stood and watched huns smashing our bus, we jumped out and chased them away and only then did the polis make a move...on us, I got lucky and got back on the bus and the driver got off and blasted the cops (well done to you) and they let some of our guys away.

2nd game I got 2 free tickets for the center stand and was skint so just went, Jock Stein was sitting a few rows in front of us, can't really remember the game at all.

3rd game, back up the terracing and as others have said a lucky own goal gave them it so that was that.

In 1980 we played Brora Rangers in a friendly and after the match which was reffed by McGinlay, I asked him about the penalty incident and said he didn't see it but looked over at his linesman and he shook his head (yeah right Brian)

Hibbyradge
01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!

I thought I'd expunged all memory of those games.

You bas***ds!

Lucius Apuleius
01-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Or better depending how you looked at it. :-) Gawd I miss wearing a crash helmet.

Keith_M
01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I was at the game at Easter Road against them earlier that season (Xmas 78) and it was unsegregated I remember, at half time the Rangers fans moved en mass to the upper tier of the east terracing and reigned bits of concrete, bottles and other missiles down on the lower tier for the rest of the match, unbelievable when you think about it now.

Actually, wasn't there already some form of segregation, possibly starting in '77, but it was never strictly enforced?

There used to be two lines of Scaffolding Poles down the middle of the Main Terrace and, when they brought a bigger support than usual, they were allowed into the area to the left of us, separated only by the poles and about 5 yards of empty space. As you mentioned, the worst of their support used to stand on the top tier and lob everything down at us.

silverhibee
01-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Went to the games, reason i remember was i went with my dad for first game but next replay he was away working and i was allowed to go my first away game on my own or with the folk on the bus leaving from the Gunner, pretty sure i remember celtc fans in our end, the windows on our bus were already smashed before we got to the ground, nasty times from what i remember.

Lucius Apuleius
01-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I also went to all three games, p1shed at them all and just before I got married. Forgot McGinlay was the referee. I was talking to him on Friday at a sportsman's dinner. Would have chinned him if I had remembered.

Billy Whizz
01-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Went to all games. My memory of the 3rd game was having to leave early, as my dad was on nightshift at Edinburgh airport!!'

I always wondered if the 1st game was played to a finish like they do nowadays, would we have won the cup?

Keith_M
01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Went to all games. My memory of the 3rd game was having to leave early, as my dad was on nightshift at Edinburgh airport!!'

I always wondered if the 1st game was played to a finish like they do nowadays, would we have won the cup?

No, they would still be playing.

:wink:

oneone73
01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Living in Blairgowrie at the time, aged 11, persuaded my dad to take me to the 2nd replay. Arrived late - we were a goal up, a situation that has never been repeated. It didn't seem such an obsession then. But then I suppose it had only been 25 years since we'd won the league.
Poor Arthur. Thanks for this thread. I'm going to weep now.

BSEJVT
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Only went to the first one but remember it clearly

I would never have imagined that 35 years later we would still be waiting

Ended up in the Right Wing that night at Northfield speaking to the great Gordon Smith.

Underage drinking was more a hobby than a problem in those days :greengrin

Keith_M
01-10-2014, 03:09 PM
I just remembered the Dalziel Mobile Shop/Bakers that used to come round our way had Cup Final Cakes for sale, with green icing and 'Hibs for the Cup' on the top.

My stingy parents refused to buy me one :-(

delbert
01-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Was at all three games, but the third was hard to take, it was clear Ally MacLeod was in the mood that night but Sevcos Dad also spotted this and Alex McDonald did a hatchet job on him. He fell right out the game but in first period of extra time he waltzed through from halfway line and hit the post from 25 yards as only Ally could. McGinlay was unavailable that night and Ian Foote reffed the third game and was so unfit he gave us a penalty when Colin Jackson cleanly tackled Bobby Hutchison who went down as if he had been shot, Ally did the job. Rangers needless to say also got their usual penalty (to be fair, it was one for a change) but Jim Mcarthur saved Alex Millers kick low to his right - funny thing was it ran to another Rangers player who was then had the legs taken from him by Benny Brazil, stonewall penalty but nothing given. We all know how it ended but so close and that third game was just mental

BSEJVT
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I just remembered the Dalziel Mobile Shop/Bakers that used to come round our way had Cup Final Cakes for sale, with green icing and 'Hibs for the Cup' on the top.

My stingy parents refused to buy me one :-(

Be thankful

My mum bought me one for the 1972 cup final and I remember crying my eyes out trying to force it down after the result

greenginger
01-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Most abiding memory is a blatant penalty being ruled out for Hibs in the last couple of minutes of the first final which would have put all this 1902 guff to bed years ago. Brian McGinlay reffed and Colin Campbell clearly fouled late in the game.

Was only at the last game where it rained heavily most of it and thought we were going to win when Tony Higgins scored early doors however not to be in end to end game with the winner unfortunately scored by our own Arfur.

It was the Rangers goalie Peter Mcloy who took the legs away from Colin Campbell when he had a tap-in in the last minute.

A couple of years ago I was at a golf outing at Turnberry and the starter was the self same Peter Mcloy who was recalling old times with a few blue-noses waiting to tee-off.

I piped up , your the guy that stole the Cup from Hibs in 1979.

After a few seconds of silence he laughed and said, Aye, you are probably right.

Hiber-nation
01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
I was at the 1st 2, couldn't get anyone to go through to the 3rd. Apart from the blatant pen that never was, I remember a young lad called Stevie Brown coming on as a sub in the 2nd game and playing well on the left wing. He was only 17 and seemed destined for great things but disappeared off the radar the next season.

Geo_1875
01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Actually, wasn't there already some form of segregation, possibly starting in '77, but it was never strictly enforced?

There used to be two lines of Scaffolding Poles down the middle of the Main Terrace and, when they brought a bigger support than usual, they were allowed into the area to the left of us, separated only by the poles and about 5 yards of empty space. As you mentioned, the worst of their support used to stand on the top tier and lob everything down at us.

I remember the Weegies being closer than 5 yards. There were always one or two nutters, white skinners and long leather coats come to mind, who would encroach in the space and took some kickings when they got too close. There were never any body searches in those days as golf balls with nails embedded and darts were often found lying on the terraces after games.

Ray_
01-10-2014, 03:57 PM

The 1972 final, 50,000 Hibs tickets were sold, there was about 106,000 at the game. The Hibs fans [me included] were in the old covered section, with Celtic fans on both sides of us. The Celtic fans were throwing bottles up to the stantions and they were smashing with the broken glass raining down on us. In the next 7 month, in the Dryborough & League cup games, Hibs fans returned the complement.

It was a dreadful era for violence then & that's when they shut the shed [because of the full scale punch ups against the infirm and hearts], with the exception of the european games and basically killed the atmosphere in ER around that time.

MKHIBEE
01-10-2014, 04:12 PM
The 1972 final, 50,000 Hibs tickets were sold, there was about 106,000 at the game. The Hibs fans [me included] were in the old covered section, with Celtic fans on both sides of us. The Celtic fans were throwing bottles up to the stantions and they were smashing with the broken glass raining down on us. In the next 7 month, in the Dryborough & League cup games, Hibs fans returned the complement.

It was a dreadful era for violence then & that's when they shut the shed [because of the full scale punch ups against the infirm and hearts], with the exception of the european games and basically killed the atmosphere in ER around that time.

2 of my Celtic supporting mates got lifted after going to the running track to escape the aggro, I missed 2 buses home waiting for them to turn up.

nairn hibee
01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
My mates dad took us to the 1rst game ,so I had to go in the rangers end ,hibs scarf tucked away .was worth it to see legs & co ,:smug::smug:

weonlywon6-2
01-10-2014, 04:22 PM

It was a nightmare.Came out after the final whistle and the rangers fans just attacked us ,managed to get away but wasnt allowed to go to the other games,changed the future for me as i still havent been to ibrox or hampden when we play them

NAE NOOKIE
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I was at all 3 games aged 19 at the time. TBH I don't remember much about them apart from Benny Brazil having an excellent game in the first one and Duncan's OG. That and all the broken bus windows on the way home ... I don't think I saw a single bus without a smashed window.

Funny thing is I remember walking into Hampden on the night of the 3rd game and a dirty wee urchin who was about 9 years old was sitting on the steps leading up to the terracing ..... he took a long draw of his fag, looked me square in the eye and said .... "f**ck the Virgin Mary"

Mental.

7 Hills
01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I was 10, going on 11 at the time and I’d only been to a handful of league matches prior to the final because my Dad wasn’t keen on taking me due to the hooliganism prevalent at the time, as alluded to by other posters.

To be honest, I remember absolutely **** all about the game itself and my main memories are as follows. I badgered my Dad outside Hampden for ages to buy me a Green and White rosette with a wee tin-foil cup embossed on it from a street vendor and he eventually bought me one (he was worried about me attracting unsolicited and unwanted attention from the Bears). I remember going into “Temporary Urinals” outside Hampden, which was a large version of the red and white striped workmen’s tents that you used to see telephone engineers using when working on exchange boxes. It turned out that “Temporary Urinals” was a rather grandiose way of saying, “aluminium dustbins, already filled to the brim with pi$$”. When Dad asked if I could hold on until we got into the stadium, I concurred immediately.

After we got into the stadium and I had seen to my ablutions, we proceeded to find our seats in the old main stand and settled down to have our picnic, which I had carried to the match in my Adidas shoulder-strap schoolbag. We had a Thermos flask of tea and everything! A more civilised Age to the one we live in nowadays. :greengrin As I said, I have absolutely no memory of the game whatsoever, all I can remember from being at the game is that there was a halftime “show” which consisted of some police dogs competing over an obstacle course on the pitch, and the parading of Rubstic, who had become the first ever Scottish trained horse to win the Grand National a couple of months earlier.

After the match, my wee rosette was tucked safely out of the way into my schoolbag and we queued along the road for Mount Florida railway station. This is the part of the day that I CAN remember. VIVIDLY. We were queued up with what seemed like, to my young eyes, 10 miles of Huns in front of us and another 10 miles of them behind, all looking and behaving like some sort of nightmarish Bay City Rollers / Zombie Apocalypse crossover. I then heard a woman swearing for the first time in my life – I was shocked to my very core!!! Her partner drunkenly asked her; “Ur we gonnae hae a pairty the night, Darlin’?” and she replied, “F*****’ right, wur gonnae hae a pairty!!!” They looked as though they had already been partying since breakfast time. He then proceeded to ask her a series of questions which all, inevitably, drew the response “F*****’ right!!!”

My Dad thought that it would be good sport at this juncture to ask me if I didn’t want to get out my rosette and put it on. Needless to say I declined, as I was engaged in watching an elderly lady peering nervously from behind her twitching, living room curtains, out onto the sea of human detritus which was seeping down her street. This prompted a request from a particularly big, fat scary-looking Hun who bellowed across the road to her, “HEY MISSUS!!! GEEZ A PIECE ‘N’ JAM, YA AULD COW!!!”

After a seemingly interminable period of time, we eventually neared the station. A few rows in front of us in the queue were two Huns who had gamely been carrying their comatose friend all the way from Hampden, each taking one of his arms and supporting him over their shoulders as his toes dragged along the ground. Incidentally, drunks “oxtering” a compadre home in this manner was quite a common sight when I was a child in the 70’s, you never see it happening now. We were far less selfish as a society in those days. :greengrin We had to go down a flight of stairs to reach the platform and the two saviours, sadly, fell at the final hurdle and dropped their mate, who proceeded to bounce down 10 steps, chin first. “He’s awright, he’s awright!” they claimed as they picked him back up off the deck, blood and teeth spilling from his mouth. He still didn’t wake up.

We didn’t go to either of the replays but, funnily enough, I have more memories of listening to us lose on the radio than I do of the original match.

Since that day, I have had an unhealthy, abiding hatred for all things Hunnish and Sevconian. And the Bay City Rollers.

Green Reaper
01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I was 10, going on 11 at the time and I’d only been to a handful of league matches prior to the final because my Dad wasn’t keen on taking me due to the hooliganism prevalent at the time, as alluded to by other posters.

To be honest, I remember absolutely **** all about the game itself and my main memories are as follows. I badgered my Dad outside Hampden for ages to buy me a Green and White rosette with a wee tin-foil cup embossed on it from a street vendor and he eventually bought me one (he was worried about me attracting unsolicited and unwanted attention from the Bears). I remember going into “Temporary Urinals” outside Hampden, which was a large version of the red and white striped workmen’s tents that you used to see telephone engineers using when working on exchange boxes. It turned out that “Temporary Urinals” was a rather grandiose way of saying, “aluminium dustbins, already filled to the brim with pi$$”. When Dad asked if I could hold on until we got into the stadium, I concurred immediately.

After we got into the stadium and I had seen to my ablutions, we proceeded to find our seats in the old main stand and settled down to have our picnic, which I had carried to the match in my Adidas shoulder-strap schoolbag. We had a Thermos flask of tea and everything! A more civilised Age to the one we live in nowadays. :greengrin As I said, I have absolutely no memory of the game whatsoever, all I can remember from being at the game is that there was a halftime “show” which consisted of some police dogs competing over an obstacle course on the pitch, and the parading of Rubstic, who had become the first ever Scottish trained horse to win the Grand National a couple of months earlier.

After the match, my wee rosette was tucked safely out of the way into my schoolbag and we queued along the road for Mount Florida railway station. This is the part of the day that I CAN remember. VIVIDLY. We were queued up with what seemed like, to my young eyes, 10 miles of Huns in front of us and another 10 miles of them behind, all looking and behaving like some sort of nightmarish Bay City Rollers / Zombie Apocalypse crossover. I then heard a woman swearing for the first time in my life – I was shocked to my very core!!! Her partner drunkenly asked her; “Ur we gonnae hae a pairty the night, Darlin’?” and she replied, “F*****’ right, wur gonnae hae a pairty!!!” They looked as though they had already been partying since breakfast time. He then proceeded to ask her a series of questions which all, inevitably, drew the resonse “F*****’ right!!!”

My Dad thought that it would be good sport at this juncture to ask me if I didn’t want to get out my rosette and put it on. Needless to say I declined, as I was engaged in watching an elderly lady peering nervously from behind her twitching, living room curtains, out onto the sea of human detritus which was seeping down her street. This prompted a request from a particularly big, fat scary-looking Hun who bellowed across the road to her, “HEY MISSUS!!! GEEZ A PIECE ‘N’ JAM, YA AULD COW!!!”

After a seemingly interminable period of time, we eventually neared the station. A few rows in front of us in the queue were two Huns who had gamely been carrying their comatose friend all the way from Hampden, each taking one of his arms and supporting him over their shoulders as his toes dragged along the ground. Incidentally, drunks “oxtering” a compadre home in this manner was quite a common sight when I was a child in the 70’s, you never see it happening now. We were far less selfish as a society in those days. :greengrin We had to go down a flight of stairs to reach the platform and the two saviours, sadly, fell at the final hurdle and dropped their mate, who proceeded to bounce down 10 steps, chin first. “He’s awright, he’s awright!” they claimed as they picked him back up off the deck, blood and teeth spilling from his mouth. He still didn’t wake up.

We didn’t go to either of the replays but, funnily enough, I have more memories of listening to us lose on the radio than I do of the original match.

Since that day, I have had an unhealthy, abiding hatred for all things Hunnish and Sevconian. And the Bay City Rollers.

Superb read 10/10

Golden Bear
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Yip -I remember that well, it was absolute bedlam. There was just no place to escape the showers of jagged glass that rained down on us.

ancient hibee
01-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Well done 7 hills.I have to say though that compared to the average Hun of those days you must have been mixed in with the equivalent of their Morningside Branch.

Re the penalty-to be honest if Colin Campbell had controlled the ball properly he could have rolled it past McCoy long before he was clattered.A very enthusiastic whole hearted player but unfortunately no Ally McLeod.

Hibby Bairn
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Great social history lesson this thread. Now you know why Mrs Thatcher got in in 1979. :greengrin

Deansy
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Brian McGinlay, the 70's version of Craig Thomson (possibly the biological father of the c*** ??) !!. Campbell was right through and that Hun-ba**ard, McCloy, took the legs away from him and I remember thinking, how ironic because there was no way McGinlay couldn't do anything BUT award us a penalty against his beloved rangers - boy, was I wrong !!. I don't think we ever beat them when he was the ref - probably the reason the SFA made sure he reffed a lot of our games against them !!

Waxy
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Brian McGinlay, the 70's version of Craig Thomson (possibly the biological father of the c*** ??) !!. Campbell was right through and that Hun-ba**ard, McCloy, took the legs away from him and I remember thinking, how ironic because there was no way McGinlay couldn't do anything BUT award us a penalty against his beloved rangers - boy, was I wrong !!. I don't think we ever beat them when he was the ref - probably the reason the SFA made sure he reffed a lot of our games against them !!I remember watching on telly as a 9 year old.Maybe the reason we never see much of the highlights is because it would show up exactly how bad the decision was.

Lucius Apuleius
01-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Well said 7 hills. You remember a hell of a lot more than I do and I was 23! However, as previously stated it was just a few months before I was getting married so might have been having a bit of a blowout. 😇

Hibrandenburg
01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
The clearest memory I have is of Hibs fans jumping from bus to bus through the broken windows on the motorway on the way home. It's a wonder nobody was killed.

sahib
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Well said 7 hills. You remember a hell of a lot more than I do and I was 23! However, as previously stated it was just a few months before I was getting married so might have been having a bit of a blowout. 

I can't even remember if I went to the first replay or not. I didn't go to the last game. I remember going to a party in a flat down on the shore when I got back from the first game. That's all I remember, apart from the feeling that we never going to win it, which is what I have felt every final before or since. I think I was traumatised, as a toddler, by my drunken father falling through the living room door in 1958 claiming "we wiz robbed". We couldn't even beat Clyde.

emerald green
01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
My abiding memory of the 1978/9 final are two things:

1) Being denied a stonewaller of a penalty when Rangers goalie Peter McCloy took the legs away from Hibs Colin Campbell as he was going round McCloy in the box near the end of the match. I was behind that goal and was screaming for a penalty which, as usual, wasn't given. The referee saw it clear as day, but just would not give it. I still wonder why to this day, whenever this match comes up.

Funnily enough, fans were on this forum just the other night wondering why the referee didn't award Hibs a penalty at Castle Greyskull. It has always been like this, and it will never change IMO until club chairmen really start speaking up loud and clear on behalf of their respective clubs. I know that's not going to happen though, especially as far as Hibs is concerned, with Petrie looking to his SFA blazer.

2) The other thing I remember was the amount of drunken violence which took place, especially after the match. Heading from the ground to where the Hibs buses were parked was like a riot zone. Loads of buses had their windows tanned in. I saw one Hun getting kicking after he was caught by a few Hibs fans after he had thrown something at one of the buses.

I missed the second replay as I was not back from watching Scotland lose to England at Wembley.

PS: It was as a result of the rioting which took place after the following years Old Firm Scottish Cup final that led to alcohol being banned at sporting events in Scotland.

Lucius Apuleius
01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
The clearest memory I have is of Hibs fans jumping from bus to bus through the broken windows on the motorway on the way home. It's a wonder nobody was killed.

We're the mental Hibees baby we've got class. 😀

Nomeancity
01-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Brian McGinlay, the 70's version of Craig Thomson (possibly the biological father of the c*** ??) !!. Campbell was right through and that Hun-ba**ard, McCloy, took the legs away from him and I remember thinking, how ironic because there was no way McGinlay couldn't do anything BUT award us a penalty against his beloved rangers - boy, was I wrong !!. I don't think we ever beat them when he was the ref - probably the reason the SFA made sure he reffed a lot of our games against them !!

Are you and the couple of other posters sure this is how it happened. Had he really rounded mccloy. My memory was it was one of those when the forward knocks it past the keeper and is running to the byeline when the keeper dives and takes his feet away? Don't argue it was a stonewaller, but I can't remember it being a tap-in?
Like others I also remember the buses being panned at the end, we were in a car watching it all, you couldn't move in the traffic. Huns just casually walked up the bus queue throwing bricks as they went, seen lots of Hibbies jumping off the buses but it just led to huge gangs of huns charging them. I can also only remember just seeing Hibbies being arrested. My dad never took me to another game in Glasgow after that, he had seen enough. Next game he went to through there was the Skol cup win.

Hiber-nation
01-10-2014, 06:05 PM
When we got back to Edinburgh after the 1st game we went to Leeries and the whole squad were in. Paul McGlinchey was good enough to get our programmes autographed by them all.

When big Mike McDonald was getting his pint some wee gadge says to him "watch and no drop that big man". Mike was not amused!

emerald green
01-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Another nightmare Scottish Cup final for all Hibs fans. I recall the violence that broke out near where I was standing and we had to walk round the track and out of the ground when the score was 4-1 I think.

IIRC there was something like 260 arrests at the match. Cannot imagine that these days.

Golden Bear
01-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Mad times. One of my mates got slashed across the face with a steel comb and another was hit on the back of the head with a golf ball. And I'll never forget the hun hoardes trying to get on board the parked double decker hibs supporters buses - they didn't meet with much success thankfully.

Another guy in our bus had a bottle of vintage champagne which he vowed would never be opened until Hibs won the Scottish Cup. After we eventually succumbed, it was a case of enough was enough, the bottle was opened and finished in about two minutes flat!!

Waxy
01-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Just youtube the 1980 scottish cup final for a taste of how bad things were through there.

Phil D. Rolls
01-10-2014, 06:33 PM

They were joined by Yams, whose game at Dunfermline was called off at the last minute. They seem to have come off worst when it kicked off at ER.

Phil D. Rolls
01-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Are you and the couple of other posters sure this is how it happened. Had he really rounded mccloy. My memory was it was one of those when the forward knocks it past the keeper and is running to the byeline when the keeper dives and takes his feet away? Don't argue it was a stonewaller, but I can't remember it being a tap-in?
Like others I also remember the buses being panned at the end, we were in a car watching it all, you couldn't move in the traffic. Huns just casually walked up the bus queue throwing bricks as they went, seen lots of Hibbies jumping off the buses but it just led to huge gangs of huns charging them. I can also only remember just seeing Hibbies being arrested. My dad never took me to another game in Glasgow after that, he had seen enough. Next game he went to through there was the Skol cup win.

IIRC McCoy grabbed Campells foot.

Spike Mandela
01-10-2014, 06:44 PM
I was 13 and had been constantly badgering my Hearts supporting dad to take me to Hibs games as my Granda on my mothers side had made me a Hibs fan. To fob me off he said he would take me to the Scottish Cup Final if Hibs got there, probably safe in the knowledge that Hibs were so rubbish it would never happen.

Lo and behold we got there and if you've ever made a promise to your kids you know how hard it is to disappoint them. So, he spoke to some guy in his local, the Silver Wing at broomhouse, and got us a two tickets and a seat on an Eastern Scottish double decker cup special.

I was so excited it was amazing, the bus atmosphere was brilliant. Unfortunately at the ground my dad took us the wrong way and we had to walk through the Blue nose Hordes and the atmosphere was truly poisonous.

The game is a bit of a blur, I remember Rangers hitting the bar and remember the Colin Campbell miss at the end. However the game aftermath is etched on my memory.

It truly was a war zone. On the walk back to the bus my dad tried to hide me in the the front of his overcoat to protect me from missiles. The guy we were walking with resplendent in perm, pin stripe suit, high waisters, flares and platforms had a Rangers fan run up grab his hair and kneed him in the face. There was fighting everywhere, blood and snoughters everywhere.

Once back on the 'safety' of the bus the adults had to stand in the aisle and us kids had to get under the seats. Every window on the bus was panned in on the way out of Glasgow. My dad was raging. I remember him saying he'd been in the war and hadn't seen behaviour like that. He swore he would never take me to a game again and he never did.

A year later we had the famous Old Firm final with the riot and the police horses on the Hampden pitch. What a time we lived in!

Edited : Rangers didn't get a penalty. Mists of time, auld age and that!

Boris
01-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I was at all 3 games. I was just turned 22 & helped to run the Musselburgh Hibs bus. Seem to recall we had around 4 buses at first game & they all had windows tanned in after the game in the war zone that was the big long road leading away from Hampden (where Asda is at bottom now). Polis turned a blind eye unless Hibbies retaliated. Violence at games was really bad then & getting bus windows tanned was a regular occurrence in Glasgow plus Killie & Ayr - a West of Scotland thing I suppose. Bigotry in the Glasgow Polis was bad then as well. Drink was obviously a big factor - no probs taking carryout on the buses or into the match itself - hard to believe now,

Defo a penalty game 1. Robbed. Cheated. Can't remember a lot about game 2 other than having a job to get a couple of buses off SMT cos of damage to windows game 1. Trouble no quite as bad after but mainly cos crowd far smaller.

Game 3. We just had one double decker at the game from Musselburgh. Sure it was a Monday night game. Few of us hasd just come off the train at Waverley after being at Wembley for the Scotland game. Got picked up in York Place. Crap crowd at Hampden. Beaten after Arthur's flying header of an OG. Gutted. Back to bus - thought we'd hidden our bags with our gear (from Wembley trip) out of sight but bus had been broken into & everything robbed. Just put the icing on the cake for us. Not.

Happy days.................

MSK
01-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Travelled through in my mates Dads clapped out brownish/orangish Austin allegro ...the car was so bad he could have left it unlocked with the engine running outside hampden for 90 mins & it would have still been there when we came out ..the mates Dad thought all the rangers fans were laughing & pointing at us because we were hibbies ...I think it was perhaps because of the smoke coming out of the engine & sparks coming out of the exhaust as we kangaroo bounced down the road ...:embarrass

As for the game, I don't remember much other than Campbell firing past the post ....& the stench of urine & stale beer as it flowed down the terrace & splashing my pvc wedger shoes ..:greengrin

Stantons Angel
01-10-2014, 07:33 PM
i too was at all three games and only because i wanted to support my team. The sheer and utter violence from the Hun thugs after both the previous games was enough to put anyone off going through to the "wild" west again!

The first game we went through on the infamous Maude's bus and of course it was not scarfs showing sit nice and quietly all the way through to Hampden.

Coming back along the road with Maude and her dear friend Mrs Currie two neanderthal huns started having a go at one of us and didnt like being ignored! The language and threatening behavior got a wee bit out of hand but they soon took off down the road on their heels after wee Mrs Currie got her brolly out and hit one of them on the back with it. His pals all thought this was hilarious as they all ran off!

Getting back to our bus we had to sit in a long queue of traffic and stones and bricks kept coming at us from the Rangers supporters around us. A wee man on a bus in front of us tried to get off the bus as he was scared and another red with and blue clad git literally swung around a lampost like a monkey and kicked the bus door in and debris fell on the old man!!!

The famous Glasgow Polis stood and laughed!!!

Cant mind much about the second game but going back again for the third time numbers dropped off and we only had a minibus to go through in to Hampden.

The police directed us into a car/coach park full of Huns baying for our blood!!!

I got out of the bus to ask if we could be let out as we were in the wrong area. I was rather unpolitley told to go away and not bother the nice policeman.

I asked him if he wanted to pay for my funeral then? What would i want to do that for he asked? we are HIBS supporters and you have trapped us right in the middle of a Rangers car/coach park!!

Only then did he take any notice of us! What the F..K are you doing in here you idiots? Because you directed us here, and wont now let us out to safety!

Well i have never seen a fat polis man move so fast!! he got the buses out the way and let us get out of there as quickly as possible!

So you can say that these are the lasting memories i have of the three games and none of them are about the football unfortunately!!

Just really dislike them with a passion!!!

Golden Bear
01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Ain't it sad that the bulk of our memories relate to the war zones outside Hampden rather than the games themselves.

LaMotta
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM
When was extra time invented?

Mr White
01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
When was extra time invented?

Shortly after the big bang? :greengrin

LaMotta
01-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Shortly after the big bang? :greengrin

:greengrin

Seriously though did it exist in 1979, and the SFA hadn't adopted it yet, or was it yet to be thought of?

ehf
01-10-2014, 07:58 PM

I was right behind the goal and the picture is etched in my memory; Campbell was in a central position, near the penalty spot, knocked the ball deftly past McCloy, who promptly took the legs from him. The ultimate stonewalled, but no real surprise it wasn't given as we had suffered from McGinlay and his Masonic predecessors (Bobby Davidson et al) throughout the 70s.

Phil D. Rolls
01-10-2014, 08:09 PM
:greengrin

Seriously though did it exist in 1979, and the SFA hadn't adopted it yet, or was it yet to be thought of?

Was not used in finals at that time, hence the replay.

Sprouleflyer
Only went to the first game, my first cup final!

Can remember on the way through passing double decker buses with Hibby's in the bottom deck and huns in the top deck.

Picked up my 'Ally McLeod strikes faster than British Leyland' badge before the game...........still think I have that badge somewhere!

Can't remember much of the match, can't even remember Rangers missing a penalty as Spike mentions, what I do remember was the boo's ringing out from the Hibs end when the national anthem was played.

After the game, the adult I was with just said to me on the way out "don't even look at them". he was right, they were all looking for trouble and that day was the first time I heard the words Fenian *******s spoken!

Remember walking past all the parked buses and seeing so many of them with there windows smashed, must have cost LRT a pretty packet to replace.

LaMotta
Was not used in finals at that time, hence the replay.

:aok:

Forza Fred
01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I had been in Oz for 5 years and this was the first ever Scottish Cup Final televised live in Oz.

It kicked off at midnight, and I watched with my mate who happened to be a misguided Rangers supporter.

We were both mortal and I can't remember a thing about the game other than it was0-0

JimBHibees
01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
:aok:

Extra time in last game. Rangers didn't miss a penalty in the first game but did in the last. Jackie McNamara's performance in all games was outstanding.

Spike Mandela
01-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Extra time in last game. Rangers didn't miss a penalty in the first game but did in the last. Jackie McNamara's performance in all games was outstanding.

Strange, could have swore they missed pen in first game. Ahhh the mists of time. Sure they hit the bar though but might be wrong again.:rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
01-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Strange, could have swore they missed pen in first game. Ahhh the mists of time. Sure they hit the bar though but might be wrong again.:rolleyes:

Definitely the third game Spike. Penalty was taken by Alex Miller but Jim McArthur saved it

eastterrace
01-10-2014, 09:21 PM
i hated going through to glasgow especially against these knuckle draggers. also remember a game at easter road back in the seventies when we drew with them 2-2 ( old joe mcbride scored )and bunch of the chanting UDA with one of them trying to slash me with a metal comb along albion road. i detest them more than the hearts.

Nomeancity
01-10-2014, 09:34 PM
They were joined by Yams, whose game at Dunfermline was called off at the last minute. They seem to have come off worst when it kicked off at ER.

Was this definitely before the final. Was it not the year after when George best was playing? I can remember the yams coming to ER when their game was cancelled but thought it was the year after when best was playing. I can also remember it was on sportscene that night and Archie couldn't bring himself to say the Huns caused the trouble - it was all the yams fault.

Nomeancity
01-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Apologies for finding this where I did!

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1979/1979051202.jpg

Deansy
01-10-2014, 09:56 PM

My recollection - I was approximately on the half-way line and the ball broke (or was passed ?) and Colin Campbell was on his own, there was no danger any of their players woud catch up to him. He raced towards their goal and just flicked it past McCloy but before he got any further, the lanky-piece-of-s*** just purposely clattered him - it was, and has always been, the 'Hun way' - 'They shall not pass' !!

I was right behind the goal and the picture is etched in my memory; Campbell was in a central position, near the penalty spot, knocked the ball deftly past McCloy, who promptly took the legs from him. The ultimate stonewalled, but no real surprise it wasn't given as we had suffered from McGinlay and his Masonic predecessors (Bobby Davidson et al) throughout the 70s.

Bobby Davidson - probably McGinlay's mentor !. I had all the Hibs-programmes from the 1970's and out of approx 20 league-games against the Hun, Davidson 'reffed' 12 of them !. One that sticks in my memory (though time might've enhanced events somewhat ??) though, was during the 3-day week period (1973 ?) we played rangers at ER - almost certain it was a SC game ? - during the day as due to power-cuts, floodlit games weren't allowed. It was a very wet day and the pitch, especially on the wings, was sodden, cut-up. Tommy McClean raced in from the wing and Erich Schaedler tackled him. Now I can't remember if it was a foul or not but what I do remember is Bobby Davidson waiting until McClean's momentum from the tackle (he'd been going flat-out at the time but was still a good 7-8 yards outside our box) took him just inside our box and Davidson blew for a penalty ??. Hibs fans/players went mental but they scored with it anyway and it meant the game ended 1-1 !. My favourite memory of that match, though, was when the players were trotting-off at FT, Schaedler, furious with the decision/result, caught up with McClean and banjoed the wee-pr*** right on the napper - it was a beauty, a true SCUD !!. All hell broke loose, right on the half-way line outside the player's tunnel, with McCleans regular 'Bodyguard', Tam Forsyth (a typical Hun thug/f***-wit) racing towards Shades looking like he was going to avenge his wee pal - and then stopping dead-in-his-tracks when he realised Shades was now going for HIM !!. Unfortunately, the more level-headed Hibs-players managed to restrain Erich from what would've been a momentous battle and, imho, would've ended the 'Hard-man' image that Forsyth played up to. Iirc, I think this was also the game that chairman Tom Hart, got fined by the SFA for calling them 'Cheats' (which they were/are !) but not absolutely certain. Either way, this wasn't a 'one-off' in games against them when Davidson was the referee - he was an absolute disgrace of a ref/man !.

Broken Gnome
01-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but checking back through the Herald archives shows the 1972 Celtic trouble was all our fault. Stop slandering the poor wee Glasgow mites.

majorhibs
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM

At that time when there wasnae much else going on, we had 1 or 2 individuals but not a team, but to a young supporter, our team & support were everything. & best of all that, to my young eyes, was a guy who played for Everything, every ball, anywhere, Leading a team, most of my mates went for all the forwards scoring, but to me in them dayys, Jackie Mac was immense, especially after having to come to Hibs after Paddy. For anyone wanting to see a brilliant, committed, controlled & downright awesome display of how to play for a Football team, but more significantly for Hibs, just watch Jackie Mac for Hibs in the SC final 79.

majorhibs
01-10-2014, 10:04 PM
At that time when there wasnae much else going on, we had 1 or 2 individuals but not a team, but to a young supporter, our team & support were everything. & best of all that, to my young eyes, was a guy who played for Everything, every ball, anywhere, Leading a team, most of my mates went for all the forwards scoring, but to me in them dayys, Jackie Mac was immense, especially after having to come to Hibs after Paddy. For anyone wanting to see a brilliant, committed, controlled & downright awesome display of how to play for a Football team, but more significantly for Hibs, just watch Jackie Mac for Hibs in the SC final 79.

Edit - read all Jackie Macs games for Hibs, not just SC finals, what a player & captain for Hibs.

Billy McKirdy
01-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Wish we could mate, which was part of my original post, the footage for this game rests somewhere in the archives of the BBC and I don't recall ever seeing any highlights from this game being replayed at any time through the years, it's like getting the spfl to update it's youtube page in modern times, an impossible task.

majorhibs
01-10-2014, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Marinehibby;4188603]Wish we could mate, which was part of my original post, the footage for this game rests somewhere in the archives of the BBC and I don't recall ever seeing any highlights from this game being replayed at any time through the years, it's like getting the spfl to update it's youtube page in modern times, an impossible
Tell you what mate, must be around somewhere, i was in the hoose but watchin early games, but surely, its now el classico status, but anybody, anybody thinking of being a sweeper & marshalling a defence & coming so, so, close to winning the Scottish Cup, please get back to us & show us where we can see some supreme defending. Absolute criminal that Hibs did not win the SC in 79!

Billy McKirdy
01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
I was only 13 at the time and had been to just a couple of dozen games with my old man and Kano once I started high school, the likes of Ally McL, Tony Higgins and Jackie Mac (Benny even) they were all my heroes, I was just getting into football when that team were playing for us and though I never knew any better they were my team, that final saga hooked me for life, little did I know that the next season would be the typical Hibs experience to the present day, the joy of Best to the low of a humiliating relegation, I could never imagine it would get any worse then this last couple of years happened but it's all part of the gig as a Hibby.

Billy McKirdy
01-10-2014, 10:51 PM
I tell you, reading this thread has had me in tears of laughter, I obviously missed the worst of the hooligan days but it astounds me that the events remembered here were pretty much the norm for the time, no wonder the casual movement appeared, there was an inevitably about how things progressed, fank ***** that mostly seems in the past now though I imagine more than a few of you miss the excitement of it all..

7 Hills
01-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I tell you, reading this thread has had me in tears of laughter, I obviously missed the worst of the hooligan days but it astounds me that the events remembered here were pretty much the norm for the time, no wonder the casual movement appeared, there was an inevitably about how things progressed, fank ***** that mostly seems in the past now though I imagine more than a few of you miss the excitement of it all..

Thanks for starting this thread, MH! Brought back a lot of memories, and I was able to get some stuff off my chest that I'd been waiting to get rid of for 35 years! :greengrin I'd really like to see some footage of the original Cup Final game...

Father Ted
02-10-2014, 07:04 AM
After the 1st final in 1979 my uncle was driving home on the M8 when he told us to get our scarves out the window. He then took us a detour through Harthill where several things were lobbed at us but they all missed as we went speeding through. If we ever beat the Huns in a final I think I will pay tribute and take our supporters bus through Harthill on the way home.

Ronniekirk
02-10-2014, 07:25 AM
I was 21 at the time skinny and a student at Paisley College We t to the first two games and was in fact in the Rangers end for first game .Very little recollection of these games apart from pretty drab O. 0 score line .I also don't remember any hype about Hibs not winning the Scottish Cup for so long .
I do recall in second game being behind the goal and thinking Colin Campbell should of scored .

Was cramming for an Exam and had ti miss the third game .Remember turning on the radio and Arthur Duncan had just scored in extra time .Was gutted when realised it was an own goal .

heretoday
02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
We should have won the cup but blew several chances. Where have we heard that before?

I remember three miserable return journeys to Kings Park station near Hampden. In those days the Glasgow Police were corrupt and lazy from the top down and afforded away fans no protection at all. It was as though they didn't see the safeguarding of the public as part of their duty.

As a result we were subjected to 90 minutes and more of intimidation from burly Orangemen on the terrace beside us. When a mate complained to the cops he was thrown out of the ground!

Segregation and seating have been blamed for sanitising football as an experience but it's a lot safer for sure.

JeMeSouviens
02-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I was 9. Hassled my Dad (not a footy fan) to take me to first game. He had the bright idea of combining it with a trip to my Gran's. So we got the train in from Motherwell, jam packed with malevolent Huns, me with jacket zipped right up and scarf stuffed in pocket. The way back was scary, I remember going through a tunnel at King's Park station reverberating with Huns singing about Fenian *******s dying, etc. Hated them then, hate them now. Glad their original team died. :agree: Hope the new one does too. :na na:

Hibby Bairn
02-10-2014, 09:06 AM
:agree: If you think the sectarian stuff is bad now it was nothing compared to the 70s/80s/90s. Middle of all the Northern Ireland troubles and it flowed down the terracings of Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead. As another poster said see 1980 SC final footage for evidence of how bad it became.

BroxburnHibee
02-10-2014, 09:07 AM
I was at the first final and I thought they missed a penalty too. I was only 11 at the time mind you.

JimBHibees
02-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Completely agree he was incredible especially in the first final.

Alfred E Newman
02-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Mad times. One of my mates got slashed across the face with a steel comb and another was hit on the back of the head with a golf ball. And I'll never forget the hun hoardes trying to get on board the parked double decker hibs supporters buses - they didn't meet with much success thankfully.

Another guy in our bus had a bottle of vintage champagne which he vowed would never be opened until Hibs won the Scottish Cup. After we eventually succumbed, it was a case of enough was enough, the bottle was opened and finished in about two minutes flat!!

Great days though!! :thumbsup: vv I can still see mcCloy saving ColinCambells effort near the end of the first final. Straight at him and the big clown would probably have let it through his legs.

superfurryhibby
02-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Bobby Davidson - probably McGinlay's mentor !. I had all the Hibs-programmes from the 1970's and out of approx 20 league-games against the Hun, Davidson 'reffed' 12 of them !. One that sticks in my memory (though time might've enhanced events somewhat ??) though, was during the 3-day week period (1973 ?) we played rangers at ER - almost certain it was a SC game ? - during the day as due to power-cuts, floodlit games weren't allowed. It was a very wet day and the pitch, especially on the wings, was sodden, cut-up. Tommy McClean raced in from the wing and Erich Schaedler tackled him. Now I can't remember if it was a foul or not but what I do remember is Bobby Davidson waiting until McClean's momentum from the tackle (he'd been going flat-out at the time but was still a good 7-8 yards outside our box) took him just inside our box and Davidson blew for a penalty ??. Hibs fans/players went mental but they scored with it anyway and it meant the game ended 1-1 !. My favourite memory of that match, though, was when the players were trotting-off at FT, Schaedler, furious with the decision/result, caught up with McClean and banjoed the wee-pr*** right on the napper - it was a beauty, a true SCUD !!. All hell broke loose, right on the half-way line outside the player's tunnel, with McCleans regular 'Bodyguard', Tam Forsyth (a typical Hun thug/f***-wit) racing towards Shades looking like he was going to avenge his wee pal - and then stopping dead-in-his-tracks when he realised Shades was now going for HIM !!. Unfortunately, the more level-headed Hibs-players managed to restrain Erich from what would've been a momentous battle and, imho, would've ended the 'Hard-man' image that Forsyth played up to. Iirc, I think this was also the game that chairman Tom Hart, got fined by the SFA for calling them 'Cheats' (which they were/are !) but not absolutely certain. Either way, this wasn't a 'one-off' in games against them when Davidson was the referee - he was an absolute disgrace of a ref/man !.[/QUOTE]

That has brought back some memories for me. It was the first Hibs v Rangers game for me, as my auld man wouldn't take me to games v Huns, Hearts or Celtic. Alex McDonald and Tommy McLean seemed particularly antagonistic in their approach to the game and were even more despised by Hibees than the obvious culprits, like GReig or Forsyth?

On another note, I asked Colin Campbell about the penalty incident at the cup final after playing directly against him when he was turning out for Spartans. He won a penalty that day and there was some banter about it afterwards (it was soft). Colin had no hesitation in saying that the referee was a cheating ******* and that it was a stonewaller. We were robbed, no doubt about it.

Someone mentioned Jackie MacNamara's performances in the finals. I think those games were the ones that really cemented his position with Hibs fans and gave him the acceptance he deserved. What a player!

Some great memories folks, we need more nostalgia threads, I love hearing about the game in the olden days, lol.

hibee_nation
02-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Was 18 and in the army at the time so i only made the first replay. Got hammered in waverley and was on the football special with a carry out, the train was packed so i was up top in the luggage rack. 2 mins off the train met the hordes of huns giving us pelters gave some back and got lifted but they took us round to the entrance and let us in after they took our names. The game was pretty poor can't remember anything about it. 72 final was no probs my dad took us to the wrong end must have been the only 2 Hibs fans on that massive east terrace, left at 4-1. The only good memory of Scottish cup finals i have is the last 15 mins against celtc in the last one when we were all singing our heads off.

fat freddy
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I went to all three finals on The Bonnyrigg Bus, double deckers for the first game, single decker for the second and a reinforced armoured tank for the third. As it was the norm back then I was used to violence at matches but the fighting after the first final beat anything I had ever seen before. The Huns were wandering in huge packs attacking anyone in green, I ended up hiding under the seats of the bus as the bricks rained down on the windows and my abiding memory is driving back to Edinburgh and every bus that we overtook or were overtaken by had most of their windows missing. The violence outside the ground was terrifying for a young teenager and the police just stood watching. Some things never change.

Keith_M
02-10-2014, 12:14 PM
On my first visit to Ibrox, the mostly old or middle aged guys from the Bus I was on went into the Main Stand. Being my first time there, I just followed them. A lot of Rangers Fans seemed to object to this, as we were met by a Mob outside after the game waiting to tear our heads off.

We had to have a line of Polis guarding us while they sent for our Bus (presumably they couldn't be arsed giving us an escort to the Car Park). As we got on the Bus, one Weegie Polis took great delight in saying, in a very loud voice and with a big grin, "you'll no be back here in a hurry then lads".

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2014, 12:33 PM
On my first visit to Ibrox, the mostly old or middle aged guys from the Bus I was on went into the Main Stand. Being my first time there, I just followed them. A lot of Rangers Fans seemed to object to this, as we were met by a Mob outside after the game waiting to tear our heads off.

We had to have a line of Polis guarding us while they sent for our Bus (presumably they couldn't be arsed giving us an escort to the Car Park). As we got on the Bus, one Weegie Polis took great delight in saying, in a very loud voice and with a big grin, "you'll no be back here in a hurry then lads".

We talk about the average hun being sub-human misfits but it seems the polis were even worse.

Mr White
02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
It's interesting reading accounts of what it was like to go through to glasgow in the 70's (I was in utero in may 1979 :greengrin ). Were the police as likely to stand back and watch as hibs fans and buses were attacked when we visited parkhead?

HappyAsHellas
02-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Anywhere through the west was dodgy at best. I remember getting windows put in at Airdrie and Morton, although Clyde always seemed OK for some reason. That final with the huns was probably one of the worst for bus windows, although on a personal level I was hit on the head with a bottle at the Dryborough (5-3) final. My earliest memory of the great unwashed from Glasgow was when I worked at ER as a kid, selling chewing gum, macaroon bars and juice. The first time Rangers came to visit our boss told us on no account to rest the tray on the wall as was the normal practice. When we asked why he told us they were a bunch of thieving bar stewards and he was right. Guys would stretch over the wall to try and nick stuff from the tray - not kids either - grown men. They haven't changed much through the years.
One particular journey back from soap dodge city, some eejit on the Eastern branch supporters bus told the driver to go into Harthill (the actual town itself) as he wanted a chippy. We left with very few windows that night as well, and we hadn't even been playing them.

crewetollhibee
02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
I was at the first game, but couldn't make either replay. Didn't catch the highlights on tv that night, and to this day have never seen a replay of Colin Campbell's clash with McCloy. No highlights have surfaced on YouTube AFAIK, anybody got a link ?

heretoday
02-10-2014, 01:25 PM

It's generally considered that Glasgow is the friendliest city. I dunno who started that old wives tale! Old wives presumably.

Keith_M
02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
It's generally considered that Glasgow is the friendliest city. I dunno who started that old wives tale! Old wives presumably.

They smile when they mug you

Waxy
02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
It'll maybe be Rangers themselves who have requested this final stays in the vaults due to the overwhelming evidence of masonic reffing.

schinkenotto
02-10-2014, 01:55 PM
50 Club bus being attacked with bricks at the ground and later being attacked on the road home by missiles from a double decker bus carrying Carluke Rangers Supporters Club.Women and children crouching in terror behind the seats.I wrote to Willie Waddell the Rangers General manager at the time to complain and he said that Rangers had no control over these "supporters" outwith Ibrox.I then pointed out that the offenders belonged to an officials Rangers supporters club but needless to say I got no further response.Totally disgusting animals-nothing changes.

Keith_M
02-10-2014, 02:09 PM
It'll maybe be Rangers themselves who have requested this final stays in the vaults due to the overwhelming evidence of masonic reffing.

You do realise that Lucifer Apelius will be on here soon to refute your claims

Lucius Apuleius
02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
You do realise that Lucifer Apelius will be on here soon to refute your claims

Ask and thou shalt receive! Lucifer!!! Nae wonder people think I am a devil. Definitely interested in this overwhelming evidence though. 😨

ancient hibee
02-10-2014, 03:44 PM
I can't even remember if I went to the first replay or not. I didn't go to the last game. I remember going to a party in a flat down on the shore when I got back from the first game. That's all I remember, apart from the feeling that we never going to win it, which is what I have felt every final before or since. I think I was traumatised, as a toddler, by my drunken father falling through the living room door in 1958 claiming "we wiz robbed". We couldn't even beat Clyde.

To be fair Clyde were a better team than us in 1958.

Back to 1979.I went to the semi against Aberdeen along with about 7000 hardy souls.ET pulled a fast one by numbering Higgins and McLeod 12 and 14 on the team sheet but putting them in the starting 11.In those days before squad numbers the subs were always 12 and 14.Aberdeen were not amused and protested later but Eddie knew the rules better than they did.It was a very foggy night and I was driving so on the way home followed a Hibs Supporters bus -didn't recognise any of the surroundings -not surprising turned out they were from Ayrshire so it was a long way back to Edinburgh over Fenwick Moor-fortunately the werewolves were somewhere else that night.

heretoday
02-10-2014, 03:52 PM
50 Club bus being attacked with bricks at the ground and later being attacked on the road home by missiles from a double decker bus carrying Carluke Rangers Supporters Club.Women and children crouching in terror behind the seats.I wrote to Willie Waddell the Rangers General manager at the time to complain and he said that Rangers had no control over these "supporters" outwith Ibrox.I then pointed out that the offenders belonged to an officials Rangers supporters club but needless to say I got no further response.Totally disgusting animals-nothing changes.

Rangers are the classic "butter wouldn't melt" club who deny straight-faced any involvement in or encouragement of sectarian behaviour.

You can sometimes have a laugh. I attended a Rangers/Hibs game at ER and travelled in a bus hired by Stirling University. This was just after the Queen had been rather roughly treated by Stirling students - a story which made papers worldwide. We pulled up alongside a Rangers bus and let them know (in song) who we were.

You should have seen those guys go mental. They almost broke the windows of their own bus to try and get to us!

Keith_M
02-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Ask and thou shalt receive! Lucifer!!! Nae wonder people think I am a devil. Definitely interested in this overwhelming evidence though. 

Hi Lucifer :wink:

You have to say Beeteljuice three times before he appears but it's only one with you --- You're much scarier!!!!

emerald green
02-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Bobby Davidson - probably McGinlay's mentor !. I had all the Hibs-programmes from the 1970's and out of approx 20 league-games against the Hun, Davidson 'reffed' 12 of them !. One that sticks in my memory (though time might've enhanced events somewhat ??) though, was during the 3-day week period (1973 ?) we played rangers at ER - almost certain it was a SC game ? - during the day as due to power-cuts, floodlit games weren't allowed. It was a very wet day and the pitch, especially on the wings, was sodden, cut-up. Tommy McClean raced in from the wing and Erich Schaedler tackled him. Now I can't remember if it was a foul or not but what I do remember is Bobby Davidson waiting until McClean's momentum from the tackle (he'd been going flat-out at the time but was still a good 7-8 yards outside our box) took him just inside our box and Davidson blew for a penalty ??. Hibs fans/players went mental but they scored with it anyway and it meant the game ended 1-1 !. My favourite memory of that match, though, was when the players were trotting-off at FT, Schaedler, furious with the decision/result, caught up with McClean and banjoed the wee-pr*** right on the napper - it was a beauty, a true SCUD !!. All hell broke loose, right on the half-way line outside the player's tunnel, with McCleans regular 'Bodyguard', Tam Forsyth (a typical Hun thug/f***-wit) racing towards Shades looking like he was going to avenge his wee pal - and then stopping dead-in-his-tracks when he realised Shades was now going for HIM !!. Unfortunately, the more level-headed Hibs-players managed to restrain Erich from what would've been a momentous battle and, imho, would've ended the 'Hard-man' image that Forsyth played up to. Iirc, I think this was also the game that chairman Tom Hart, got fined by the SFA for calling them 'Cheats' (which they were/are !) but not absolutely certain. Either way, this wasn't a 'one-off' in games against them when Davidson was the referee - he was an absolute disgrace of a ref/man !.

That has brought back some memories for me. It was the first Hibs v Rangers game for me, as my auld man wouldn't take me to games v Huns, Hearts or Celtic. Alex McDonald and Tommy McLean seemed particularly antagonistic in their approach to the game and were even more despised by Hibees than the obvious culprits, like GReig or Forsyth?

On another note, I asked Colin Campbell about the penalty incident at the cup final after playing directly against him when he was turning out for Spartans. He won a penalty that day and there was some banter about it afterwards (it was soft). Colin had no hesitation in saying that the referee was a cheating ******* and that it was a stonewaller. We were robbed, no doubt about it.

Someone mentioned Jackie MacNamara's performances in the finals. I think those games were the ones that really cemented his position with Hibs fans and gave him the acceptance he deserved. What a player!

Some great memories folks, we need more nostalgia threads, I love hearing about the game in the olden days, lol.[/QUOTE]

Shades would have done him, no problem.

Spike Mandela
02-10-2014, 06:49 PM
I was at the first final and I thought they missed a penalty too. I was only 11 at the time mind you.

Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe it was the assumption that Rangers always get a penalty anyway.:cb
Be nice if footage ever surfaced.

Colr
02-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Went to the first game. We had our chances to win it.

Deansy
02-10-2014, 08:15 PM
It's interesting reading accounts of what it was like to go through to glasgow in the 70's (I was in utero in may 1979 :greengrin ). Were the police as likely to stand back and watch as hibs fans and buses were attacked when we visited parkhead?

One time (late 70's/early 80's) coming back after beating them, we could see 2 laddies standing on a bridge/flyover as we approached it, and they had bricks/rocks raised over their heads. Someone shouted to get into the middle of the bus, which we did, just in time as the windows burst-in. Once we'd passed through, I had a quick look up to this bridge/flyover and was amazed to see 2 policemen leaning on their police-car, laughing as they stood 2/3 yards away from these 2 laddies - I kid you not !!

Alfred E Newman
02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
The 1972 semi against Rangers kicked off 3 visits to Hampden in a month that saw some of the worst violence I've had the misfortune to be involved in. Hit on the head by a beer can when Hibs equalised ,and duffed up on Prospecthill Road trying to find our bus . I got off lightly though, one of my mates had his nose broken. The final against Celtic has been well documented , 106,000 at the game and over 200 arrests. Back to Hampden again a week later for the annual England fixture and although there were little if any England fans daft enough to travel up for the game the guy in front of me was hit full on the head by a pint tumbler when England scored the only goal of the game in front of 135,000. Three games that incredibly attracted over 300,000 fans. I swore after each game that I wasn't going back there but thankfully I was there a few months later when we won the league cup.
It might have been rough at times but the atmosphere like the football was fantastic and there will be few who were fortunate to live through that era that don't look back on those days with misty eyes.

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe it was the assumption that Rangers always get a penalty anyway.:cb
Be nice if footage ever surfaced.

Over to you Leeanne.

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2014, 08:57 PM
When I started going to games in the late 70s me and my mates would regularly climb the wall behind the East terrace to get in free, I remember one evening game at the lane between the car park and the dunbar end a policeman helping us up a scaffolding plank leaning against the perimeter wall, the bizzies weren't all that bad back then.

Kato
02-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Don't think there is any footage of the game online.

The Scottish Screen Archive will do a search for the public and have access to the BBC archive, costs a fee though.

Here's Benny "Benjamin" "Benrod" Brazil, on the day.

http://files.stv.tv/imagebase/185/623x349/185927-ally-brazil-in-action-for-hibs.jpg

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/images/i-10000/10221.jpg

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Don't think there is any footage of the game online.

The Scottish Screen Archive will do a search for the public and have access to the BBC archive, costs a fee though.

Here's Benny "Benjamin" "Benrod" Brazil, on the day.

http://files.stv.tv/imagebase/185/623x349/185927-ally-brazil-in-action-for-hibs.jpg

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/images/i-10000/10221.jpg

Had some dealings with the Scottish Screen Archives in recent years as I'm a trustee with a community archive trust, we had loads of 1970s video reels of the local community needing restored and converted digitally, it took them a couple of years to source the funding but they did eventually and restored the priceless footage, amongst the film we had was a 1972 BBC documentary about Newcraighall, they were unable to receive the footage from us to add to the national collection precisely because it was from the BBC, still, it would be well worth making enquiries about what they can source.

majorhibs
02-10-2014, 10:04 PM
I went to all three finals on The Bonnyrigg Bus, double deckers for the first game, single decker for the second and a reinforced armoured tank for the third. As it was the norm back then I was used to violence at matches but the fighting after the first final beat anything I had ever seen before. The Huns were wandering in huge packs attacking anyone in green, I ended up hiding under the seats of the bus as the bricks rained down on the windows and my abiding memory is driving back to Edinburgh and every bus that we overtook or were overtaken by had most of their windows missing. The violence outside the ground was terrifying for a young teenager and the police just stood watching. Some things never change.

The violence was off the radar. Mind though, anytime at Greyskull, you were outnumbered minimum 50 to 1. But to suggest glesgae polis just stood & watched is wrong. One time, aged around 14 & following the Adults from our bus who knew better, after a 2-2 draw at greyskull which had them all livid, their glesgae polis took us to an area away from buses everything, knowing that a mob was waiting, their polis took us to the middle of nowhere & then stepped back, basically let their hundreds of mongrels who were following, at us, meaning we had to run, being 14 meant running for me was no probs but I still got a good few hits as I went but thinking back it was just wrong- but at that time, & I am sure evryone who was around at the time will agree, it was just a typical hun/glesgae pols experience. Some youngsters express surprise at the contempt of some of us for the huns. In the 70's/80's when I came across them, the huns & their supporters were animals. Nae better name for them.

Keith_M
03-10-2014, 08:08 AM
When I started going to games in the late 70s me and my mates would regularly climb the wall behind the East terrace to get in free, I remember one evening game at the lane between the car park and the dunbar end a policeman helping us up a scaffolding plank leaning against the perimeter wall, the bizzies weren't all that bad back then.

I remember seeing yous do it, ya t0ssers!

:na na:

AndyM_1875
03-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Some youngsters express surprise at the contempt of some of us for the huns. In the 70's/80's when I came across them, the huns & their supporters were animals. Nae better name for them.

It's totally understandable. 79 was a bit too early for me but my bad experience was with Celtic fans in the mid 80s. After some really nasty punch ups on London Road some Hibs lads smashed the windows of their bus (retribution for what happened at Parkhead no doubt).
However this was unknown to us and we were walking back along London Road with a group of school friends and they saw our Hibs scarves and attacked up. Being small and quick I got away but my mate wasn't so lucky. A group of 30 and 40 something Celtic fans dragged him onto their bus and used him as a punch bag eventually breaking his jaw and nearly blinding him. He was 14. I've thought they were $cum ever since, they're every bit as bad as Huns in my eyes.

HibsNZ
03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Was 7 and living in Aberdeen at the time and these were the games that made me a Hibby, regretted it ever since ha ha. Nae chance! :flag:

Bostonhibby
03-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Was at all 3, we were so close but gutted when poor Arthur Duncan scored their winner. 3 monstrous trips to glasgow forced on us, coming back after the replay our bus got stoned by fans of the now defunct glasgow rangers. Nae health and safety in those days though. We got home with the skylight missing.

We should have been out of sight in the second game. Still at least we exist and the opposition then don't:-)

Ray_
03-10-2014, 04:39 PM
The 1972 semi against Rangers kicked off 3 visits to Hampden in a month that saw some of the worst violence I've had the misfortune to be involved in. Hit on the head by a beer can when Hibs equalised ,and duffed up on Prospecthill Road trying to find our bus . I got off lightly though, one of my mates had his nose broken. The final against Celtic has been well documented , 106,000 at the game and over 200 arrests. Back to Hampden again a week later for the annual England fixture and although there were little if any England fans daft enough to travel up for the game the guy in front of me was hit full on the head by a pint tumbler when England scored the only goal of the game in front of 135,000. Three games that incredibly attracted over 300,000 fans. I swore after each game that I wasn't going back there but thankfully I was there a few months later when we won the league cup.
It might have been rough at times but the atmosphere like the football was fantastic and there will be few who were fortunate to live through that era that don't look back on those days with misty eyes.

I must have been "touched by an angel", I used to go to all the games in those days, including the three games you mentioned [well the Semi, like the previous year, was 2 games, as both years involved a replay] and the another 3 Hampden Hibs game that year and the only thing I had was a near miss and it was walking down Gorgie Road on the 01/01/1973, when a bottle smashed the against wall I was walking along side.

When we think about it, 1972 saw Hibs play six games at Hampden, with the replay, three in the Scottish Cup, then the Dryborough Cup Final, then the semi and final of the League Cup. 1979 saw us there five times, with the semi of the league cup and then the semi and three finals in the Scottish.

I went to the Irish & England games in 72 as well under 23 and league internationals, Hibs were always heavily represented back then at all levels. If I remember correnctly, it was Alan Ball who got the only goal and I remember how well the English centre half, Roy McFarland played.

Alfred E Newman
03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
I must have been "touched by an angel", I used to go to all the games in those days, including the three games you mentioned [well the Semi, like the previous year, was 2 games, as both years involved a replay] and the another 3 Hampden Hibs game that year and the only thing I had was a near miss and it was walking down Gorgie Road on the 01/01/1973, when a bottle smashed the against wall I was walking along side.

When we think about it, 1972 saw Hibs play six games at Hampden, with the replay, three in the Scottish Cup, then the Dryborough Cup Final, then the semi and final of the League Cup. 1979 saw us there five times, with the semi of the league cup and then the semi and three finals in the Scottish.

I went to the Irish & England games in 72 as well under 23 and league internationals, Hibs were always heavily represented back then at all levels. If I remember correnctly, it was Alan Ball who got the only goal and I remember how well the English centre half, Roy McFarland played.

You are right Ray, it was Ball that scored and if my memory serves me well John Brownlie made his debut in that game.
As far as the violence goes you could get the impression reading these posts that these events were a weekly occurrence. That was not the case of course. The games where trouble was likely were well known to us all and unless you went looking for trouble it was usually possible to steer well clear. In reality the 60s and the 70s were great times to watch football though that may be down to the large amount of alcohol consumed on a Saturday afternoon. Good times indeed.

sleeping giant
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Great thread from the auld team.

scm70nyd1973
03-10-2014, 10:15 PM
I was at all 3 games aged 19 at the time. TBH I don't remember much about them apart from Benny Brazil having an excellent game in the first one and Duncan's OG. That and all the broken bus windows on the way home ... I don't think I saw a single bus without a smashed window.

Funny thing is I remember walking into Hampden on the night of the 3rd game and a dirty wee urchin who was about 9 years old was sitting on the steps leading up to the terracing ..... he took a long draw of his fag, looked me square in the eye and said .... "f**ck the Virgin Mary"

Mental.
Being a Weegie Hibby at aged 16 I went to the Rangers end of the South enclosure with my scarf on albeit it was only put on when I got in. Thought that with being a Weegie and the same religion as that manky mob that I might be alright (big mistake - huge).

Horrible game to watch - all I can remember is the constant Boney M chants, Alex Miller heading one off the bar at the Der Hun end (this might account for the missed penalty confusion) and seeing CC getting hoofed in the air at the same level as me (even from 10 miles away I couldn't believe it wasn't given).

Only one reptile aged about 30 with a UJ draped around his large and ever expanding odourful body came up to me face to face singing a delightful little ditty about his somewhat unexplained dislike of fellow Christians. My Hibby dad made a very measured suggestion that it might be best if the only green piece of clothing that I had on was removed - I didn't as I was never going to pander to absolute **** of the first order even although I was in a very very dangerous place at the time.

With the Weegie accent and with fellow Weegie Hibbys in later years we would often frequent the Stadium Bar after the game. There was something strangely pleasurable being in amongst that mob without them knowing it whilst we talked about how disgusting their horrible club and fans were (past tense as they no longer exist). Hasten to add that my scarf was tucked inside my jacket ! It felt like being a Brit in Berlin circa 1941.

Lots of other stories from the late seventies and eighties re the Hun as I was able to be in their midst with my Weegie accent and could get away with a few things - also helped that my school pals who were all Huns never grassed me up ! Only luck stopped my scarf dropping on to the floor after several post match refreshments !!

Nomeancity
03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
At the risk of being labelled a Yam - can we not lobby for the BBC/STV/SFA/local lodge to make available footage of us losing a final. Ok I agree with the point that it would be good to prove that we were robbed that we didn't get a stonewall penalty, but I for one have no desire to watch a final defeat, no matter how close we came to winning it.

Wakeyhibee
04-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I was at the first and last of these 3 games. Was only 12 at the time and remember my old man got us tickets in the main stand but at the west side so we were surrounded by Huns. I don't remember any antagonism (not towards us) and IIRC the huns in front of us offered my brother of 14 a swig from their whiskey bottle to which my Dad declined on his behalf. I think he was quite put out by the old man :greengrin.

Don't remember too much about that first game apart from the occasion, Jim Watt and Red Rum paraded etc..., but do remember the 2nd replay, the Ally MacLoed penalty, Rangers missing theirs (McArthur save I think?), and having been crapping it on both of these, the possibility of penalties at the end. IIRC that had been decided beforehand if it had gone all the way and another draw then it would have been penalties, could be wrong? Was also sat next to 2 sheep at that game who'd come to see Hibs get beat as we put them out in the semi.

Also did we not play them after that in the League due to the bad winter and beat them 2-0 at ER?

Tom Hart RIP
04-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Our bus stopped at Harhill on way back and guys got off singing 'hail hail the Hibs are here. All for goals and CHORIE. When they got back they were carrying crisps chocolate and juice. The bus got stopped by the cops on the motorway but by that time all the evidence had been eaten and drunk.

Phil D. Rolls
04-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Our bus stopped at Harhill on way back and guys got off singing 'hail hail the Hibs are here. All for goals and CHORIE. When they got back they were carrying crisps chocolate and juice. The bus got stopped by the cops on the motorway but by that time all the evidence had been eaten and drunk.

Classy.

Ray_
04-10-2014, 10:20 AM
You are right Ray, it was Ball that scored and if my memory serves me well John Brownlie made his debut in that game.
As far as the violence goes you could get the impression reading these posts that these events were a weekly occurrence. That was not the case of course. The games where trouble was likely were well known to us all and unless you went looking for trouble it was usually possible to steer well clear. In reality the 60s and the 70s were great times to watch football though that may be down to the large amount of alcohol consumed on a Saturday afternoon. Good times indeed.

I stayed clear of the alcohol on match days back then, as a 16Yo by the time the 1972 cup final came around, it certainly would have clouded my memories on what was the best year I had being a Hibs fan. :greengrin

Onion, made his Scotland debut in Russian the previous year, with his team captain, also captaining the national side on that day, in what was a credible 0-1 defeat.

Games against England and other top fixtures, should have became as natural an occurance to JB as it was to become to be for Sandy Jardine & Danny McGrain, both superb players, but neither could match Onion prior to 01/01/1973.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Also did we not play them after that in the League due to the bad winter and beat them 2-0 at ER?

We did play them at ER after the final replays were finally over, and predictably we won that one that didn't matter. I was at that game & also the first final, age 8. The two replays were nervous nights listening on the radio

Bostonhibby
04-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Ah, the chance to reminisce about the professional unbiased policing of Scotlands finest. On one occasion at Ibrox in the early 80's whilst watching us playing the now defunct Glasgow Rangers we were constantly spat on by yokels in the stand above. As my girfriend (now wife) got hit more than once we complained to a steward who told me **** like us should stay away from glasgow. Walked down to the cop at pitchside at half time, gave him the story, he winked at me, smiled and walked away.

Another time after we beat celtc in the Dryburgh CF our private hire coach driver wasn't there when we got back. Scotlands finest had apparently arrived in the car park and being dressed for the occasion felt they had to do something. Amongst the random arrests was our driver.He was released very late that night, no charges but a bruised face and burst lip for apparently resisting arrest. The price of your face not fitting in Scotlands friendly city.

IberianHibernian
04-10-2014, 09:46 PM
First game : Only about 50,000 at match which I think was first SC final to be live on telly . Rotten match which we should have won at end and would have in extra time . I had a ticket for our end and at last minute got one just behind where George Stewart would have lifted cup ( no atmosphere at all ) .

Second game : was there but don`t remember much except we had chances to win .
Third match : like second except there were goals and we lost . Don`t remember any great feeling of loss or misssed opportunity - until 2 or 3 years before we`d been a great team challenging for the league so SC success was not an obsession . When did people start talking about Hibs and SC ? Maybe Hearts fans after they won in 1998 frustrated that they couldn`t win League Cup ? Rangers lost league at Parkhead playing against 10 men between replays so winning the cup was secondary to them .
We beat Rangers in league 2v1 at Holy Ground on 31st May ( then about a month later than usual end of season ) . A meaningless match for both teams but always remember that if Rangers had won league that night ( could have happened if Rangers had not not lost at Parkhead the week before ) we would have qualified for Europe . There were only about 4000 at league game , How many would have turned up to see us lose to qualify for Europe ?
Overall memory of 1979 finals is what a chance lost but with a very poor team ( in my lifetime we`ve won 3 League Cups all with good teams and been in 5 Scottish Cup finals , twice with good teams ( 1972 and 2001 ) , 2012 with a mixed up team and 2013 team with an improving but limited team and 1979 with a team that was way below what we`d had a few years before ).
What happened to Stevie Brown who was one of our best players in 1979 finals at 17 years old ?

Waxy
17-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Good thread to bring back.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Good thread to bring back.

Yes, my first final and we've never been closer since.
This CAN be the year.

Leith Mo
17-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Went to all 3 games. Aged 11. With my dad (hun). But in the Hibs end. Drove through in our clapped out Hillman Avenger.

I remember one of the games it was absolutely pissing down. I also remember the huns singing a sectarian song to the tune of Boney M's "Hooray Hooray It's A Happy Holiday".

As for the game I remember the Colin Campbell miss and the Arthur Duncan OG the most.

Huns singing sectarian songs? Old habits die hard but then agaun I suppose being a new Club/team whatever denial still says "no surrender" to the 21st century reality. A scourge then and still the same