PDA

View Full Version : Has that been coming?

Nomeancity
30-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Hibee pal has been telling me "I told you so" all day today. And to be fair on him he has said from the start of the season there is a team hiding in there somewhere. I've been telling him to keep taking the tablets but after last night maybe not. Wasn't at ibrox last night but have been to the other games and have to be honest didn't see that we had that result in us.
was it a fluke, are rangers that bad, or do we have a team. I'm not sure which? Help please

calumhibee1
30-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Hibee pal has been telling me "I told you so" all day today. And to be fair on him he has said from the start of the season there is a team hiding in there somewhere. I've been telling him to keep taking the tablets but after last night maybe not. Wasn't at ibrox last night but have been to the other games and have to be honest didn't see that we had that result in us.
was it a fluke, are rangers that bad, or do we have a team. I'm not sure which? Help please

Bit of everything. I think in some games this season we've been unlucky and have probably deserved more than we've got. I also think that we've not been good enough over the course of the season so far however. Rangers are also murder. Last night however, we were also very very good. If you put that performance in against any team in this league we'd win, including Hearts and a good few of the SPL teams.

KeithTheHibby
30-09-2014, 01:07 PM

Tactically it has been the best I have seen Hibs perform in a long time.

Last night it just seemed to gel and I was impressed with the whole team including the guys who were such a disappointment last season. It could all be down to Stubbs having found a system and the players adapting.

S4uzee
30-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I feel we were unlucky against hearts had we scored the pen and could've easily put 4 past Falkirk but the Alloa performance was woeful

TheReg!
30-09-2014, 01:14 PM
It's all about the 3-5-2, suits the team.

jacomo
30-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Yes... and several people on here have been saying it.

I've not seen enough of Hibs this season to form a detailed view, but from what I have seen, AS has been trying to get the team to play. Personnel and formations have changed (understandably IMO, he is still learning about his players) but the philosophy has been consistent.

He's signed a lot of technically able youngsters... always likely to be inconsistent, but if a few of them click together then they are likely to do well.

Brightside
30-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Its always been coming. Players just need to build up confidence. Our play upto the final 3rd has been very decent since Stubbs arrived, they are now showing the balls to try things and take chances in the final third. BTW i dont doubt that we will get beat during the season by the likes of Dumbarton and this place will go into meltdown again, but just give it time, this team is already light years better than last years.

Keith_M
30-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd be interested to see how the team now copes with some of the so-called 'lesser lights'. Playing somebody like Rangers, where counter-attacking is the best option, seems to suit our formation and tactics.

I hope Stubbs can now adjust that to playing teams that are willing to defend most of the match and hit us on the break. He's still learning as a Manager so you never know.

SanFranHibs
30-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I'd be interested to see how the team now copes with some of the so-called 'lesser lights'. Playing somebody like Rangers, where counter-attacking is the best option, seems to suit our formation and tactics.

I hope Stubbs can now adjust that to playing teams that are willing to defend most of the match and hit us on the break. He's still learning as a Manager so you never know.

Interesting point!!

I would of course hope Hibs would not be willing to soak up all the pressure from Raith, Alloa, Dumbarton etc and try and hit them on the break!!

And if we can put together another couple of performances like last night then teams will have to really think about their game plan against us!

Stevie Reid
30-09-2014, 02:04 PM
From our performances against Rangers (first game of the season), Livi first half, end of Dumbarton game and some of the Cowdenbeath match then yes, it's been coming - but obviously the poorer performances suggested that we were not far away from a total collapse, albeit our defeats have been by single goal margins.

I've always thought with our attacking quality that we will create and score chances, it was just that our defensive frailties, coupled with our fragile confidence, meant that games could turn away from us quickly, and with little warning. The Cowdenbeath game being the perfect example, where after a first half of dominance in possession - and having taken the lead with the opposition offering no threat - in the opening period of the second half Cowden had three attacks in which they scored twice and hit the underside of the bar. From complete control for 45 minutes, to chasing the game in a fraction of that time.

Thankfully the last two games seem to strongly suggest that we are massively stronger both defensively and mentally, and if those remain in place then we will have a lot to look forward to from here on in. Our comebacks versus Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath suggested a strong team spirit and willingness to fight for a result, whereas going behind in other games has seen little response or urgency. Again, if we can harness the good parts and breed confidence from going on a wee run, I think we'll all enjoy watching Hibs this season.

We'll find out exactly where we are on Saturday.

dmc1875
30-09-2014, 02:26 PM
From our performances against Rangers (first game of the season), Livi first half, end of Dumbarton game and some of the Cowdenbeath match then yes, it's been coming - but obviously the poorer performances suggested that we were not far away from a total collapse, albeit our defeats have been by single goal margins.

I've always thought with our attacking quality that we will create and score chances, it was just that our defensive frailties, coupled with our fragile confidence, meant that games could turn away from us quickly, and with little warning. The Cowdenbeath game being the perfect example, where after a first half of dominance in possession - and having taken the lead with the opposition offering no threat - in the opening period of the second half Cowden had three attacks in which they scored twice and hit the underside of the bar. From complete control for 45 minutes, to chasing the game in a fraction of that time.

Thankfully the last two games seem to strongly suggest that we are massively stronger both defensively and mentally, and if those remain in place then we will have a lot to look forward to from here on in. Our comebacks versus Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath suggested a strong team spirit and willingness to fight for a result, whereas going behind in other games has seen little response or urgency. Again, if we can harness the good parts and breed confidence from going on a wee run, I think we'll all enjoy watching Hibs this season.

We'll find out exactly where we are on Saturday.

Our problem this season is teams doing what we did to Rangers, to us. When teams come at us (Hearts, Rangers, Ross County) we have a great chance of winning. We should have beat Rangers at Ibrox in July, there was nothing between us and Hearts bar two penalties at tynecastle and we won well at Ross County and Ibrox last night.

Its when teams sit back and hit us on the counter when we are pressing we seem to struggle. Hopefully the 3-5-2 will rectify that though.

Great week for Hibs considering what happened before, lets hope we kick on now as the team definitely has the quality.

Pretty Boy
30-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Our problem this season is teams doing what we did to Rangers, to us. When teams come at us (Hearts, Rangers, Ross County) we have a great chance of winning. We should have beat Rangers at Ibrox in July, there was nothing between us and Hearts bar two penalties at tynecastle and we won well at Ross County and Ibrox last night.

Its when teams sit back and hit us on the counter when we are pressing we seem to struggle. Hopefully the 3-5-2 will rectify that though.

Great week for Hibs considering what happened before, lets hope we kick on now as the team definitely has the quality.

Pretty much my take on it.

Craig_HFC
30-09-2014, 02:42 PM

The formation last night was a 5-3-2 until we had the ball, then it became a 3-5-2.

In theory it's relatively simple to change the tactics from last night so that we are the pressing team; we just need to keep Stevenson & Gray high up the park to help the attacks from out wide so for the majority of the time it will be 3-5-2 rather than 5-3-2.

Ell_Chrisso
30-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Been saying it for years

Brightside
30-09-2014, 03:11 PM
The formation last night was a 5-3-2 until we had the ball, then it became a 3-5-2.

In theory it's relatively simple to change the tactics from last night so that we are the pressing team; we just need to keep Stevenson & Gray high up the park to help the attacks from out wide so for the majority of the time it will be 3-5-2 rather than 5-3-2.

Thats whats all 3-5-2s are......its the whole point of playing it.

The amazing thing about last night was that Rangers didnt change to a 433 to combat our shape. they stuck with a very square 442...or even a 4411. which made it easy for our defence.

Turkish Green
30-09-2014, 03:22 PM
It does, especially against teams that will attack Hibs and leave themselves open for the counter. It worked against Ross County and Sevco and may be the tactics against the yams but I am not sure if it will work against the other teams in the league who put out a defensive formation.

Hopefully Raith will be 3 in a row.

Turkish Green
30-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I forgot to add that the 3-5-2 5-3-2 formations worked so well that Gray got into the box to score his first senior goal.

Lucius Apuleius
30-09-2014, 03:28 PM
2-3-5 worked well enough for years.

Pete
30-09-2014, 03:34 PM
2-3-5 worked well enough for years.

The most effective formation I've seen is the 4-4-2-1 used by hearts in the 2012 Scottish cup final.

Purehibee_MYB
30-09-2014, 03:40 PM
The most effective formation I've seen is the 4-4-2-1 used by hearts in the 2012 Scottish cup final.

:top marks