PDA

View Full Version : Taking it all too seriously: how much does our current state affect your mood?

Hibernia&Alba
26-09-2014, 01:48 PM
It's only a game etc. Aye it is, and of course there are far more important things happening in the world, but the state of the club and team does affect my mood. Of course, this could mean I'm very lucky, as perhaps I haven't had truly serious problems to bother me, but your football team is for life, through good and bad, and to some extent my personal satisfaction (I wouldn't say happiness) with life is tied with Hibs' fortunes. When things are looking good (not often!) everything is a wee bit better, and conversely yet another crisis sends my blood pressure rising. I dread to think what my blood pressure is just now :-D

Yes I sulk after a defeat, and relegation ruined the summer, but I can't imagine not having Hibs about to mess up my weekends. I need that exquisite pain and thrive on the "one day......" optimism.

What about you guys: how much does it all get to you? Does each bad result mean everybody stays out of your way for a few days?

andy1875
26-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Funny this should come up as I was talking to my mate at work about this earlier on today.

It's hard to try and forget a Hibs loss and enjoy your weekend but I'm now burying our losses at 5pm.

Simply due to fact if you let a defeat ruin your weekend, then bar the odd season, you'll have had hundreds, if not thousands of disappointing weekends since the mid 70s :greengrin

Bury a loss at 5pm and if we win, enioy it, particularly a trophy as they come along every 15-20 years!

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
26-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Going to bed with nae dinner has been known after a particularly bad result. Hunger strike is a weapon I use to express extreme displeasure :-D

Keith_M
26-09-2014, 02:55 PM
If we lived in the US, a lot of shrinks would become very rich, just from treating Hibs Fans

:wink:

TowerHibs
26-09-2014, 03:09 PM
I get over it pretty quickly. Have also became use to it recently.

Would think if anyone over 16 lets a football team defeat ruin your night/weekend/week ought to have a look at themselve in the mirror.

Paisley Hibby
26-09-2014, 03:09 PM
It's only a game etc. Aye it is, and of course there are far more important things happening in the world, but the state of the club and team does affect my mood. Of course, this could mean I'm very lucky, as perhaps I haven't had truly serious problems to bother me, but your football team is for life, through good and bad, and to some extent my personal satisfaction (I wouldn't say happiness) with life is tied with Hibs' fortunes. When things are looking good (not often!) everything is a wee bit better, and conversely yet another crisis sends my blood pressure rising. I dread to think what my blood pressure is just now :-D

Yes I sulk after a defeat, and relegation ruined the summer, but I can't imagine not having Hibs about to mess up my weekends. I need that exquisite pain and thrive on the "one day......" optimism.

What about you guys: how much does it all get to you? Does each bad result mean everybody stays out of your way for a few days?

It used to affect me like that too. Not any more to be honest. I guess that should be a worry...

GreenLake
26-09-2014, 03:22 PM
If we lived in the US, a lot of shrinks would become very rich, just from treating Hibs Fans

:wink:

Not to mention Canadian online pharmacies.:agree:

SteveHFC
26-09-2014, 03:24 PM
If we get beat i really don't care anymore as i expect it.

Even after the Hamilton home game last season i laughed at how bad we have become.

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2014, 03:29 PM
It used to ruin my night, in fact it could ruin quite a few days if i'm honest. Not so much now, i fully expect not to win these days, and sometimes i dont even know who we are playing or when our next game is.

On the other side of the coin, i dont enjoy wins as much as i used to either. :confused:

Cameron1875
26-09-2014, 03:33 PM
A win seems to be a nice wee bonus rather than the YAASSS that it used to bring.
Hopefully it changes cause its a bit tedious following Hibs at the moment.

Don't even check the Scottish Premiership results now too. Without Hibs, Hearts, and Rangers it's a total embarrasment.

Bostonhibby
26-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I was so passionate,and it was such a big part of my life, that I used to give a Shi'ite, now it bothers me a bit but I have moved into not going to home game at all mode, I don't think I would have reached that low if I was convinced Leeann was running the show as I do like what she is about, but the hand of death is on her shoulder so I am out.

When the latest abysmal result comes through I feel about the same as when we snatch the odd result I wasn't expecting.

hibsbollah
26-09-2014, 04:19 PM
I enjoy my sport but im not bothered about winning or losing really. There's more to life.

Scouse Hibee
26-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Pretty much forgotten as soon as I leave the ground, it surfaces again when I have to drag myself to attend the next game, never really want to go but always do hoping for better and then the merry go round starts again.

NAE NOOKIE
26-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Have an hours drive home to suck it up, but after that I recover pretty quickly and come on here to bitch and whine about it :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
26-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I made an oath to myself that I won't let Hibs ruin my weekend any more, so a never renewed.
That could easily be perceived as being a fair weather fan, I'm not and like countless others there is so much you can take before you say duck this for a laugh. Of course I miss it week in week out but it was making me humpty for the rest of my weekend, found it hard to leave it at ER and you really shouldn't take it home.

Carheenlea
26-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I posted a thread along similar lines to this last season where I wrote that I had become immune to defeats such was the regularity of them in recent times. It looks like many are in the same boat now. I still look forward to going to watch Hibs, the only team I'm interested in, and that will always be the case. I enjoy going along and catching up with friends with a couple of pints, and if we win, then I'm delighted and head home with a spring in the step. Lose, and it's disappointment, but by the time I'm home I'm over it.

weonlywon6-2
26-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Having followed hibs for 36 ish years i think the last few have been the worst for me,the passion is always there and i try and not let it get to me when we lose,doesnt always work though !

GreenLake
26-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Not much for most of the rest of the week, but it ranges from a chapped ring to a boot in the baws for about a half hour after each loss.

Pretty Boy
26-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Used to really affect my mood but not so bad now.

Can still be a grumpy barsteward for afew hours after a game but generally passes pretty quickly.

Broken Gnome
26-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Thought I'd passed caring after the Hearts game, but Alloa felt like a new low. Can't see the need to let it take hold of life given the dross we've put up with, so I was over the Queens defeat by half time.

We'll all be back at some point. It will be worthwhile.

heretoday
26-09-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't care much any more. The glory days are unlikely to return so it's not worth the effort. I confess I don't go down to ER so often nowadays either. Having Hearts workmates used to be the biggest motivating factor.

SanFranHibs
26-09-2014, 08:33 PM

SanFranHibs
26-09-2014, 08:36 PM
I thught things could not get any worse but my gif was uploaded as a jpg!!

I should just leave this stuff to Steve :wink:

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-09-2014, 08:39 PM
This is the sort of thread that should seriously worry the club. Apathy setting in to so many of us after countless boots in the baws

bob12345
26-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I have learned to deal with defeats, without getting too upset. Although occasionally it still gets to me, especially derbies or self inflicted defeats against the OF.

What I do miss is the pick me up after a really good result. Was buzzing after the Butcher derby win, haven't been since.

West hamBERNIAN
26-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Tbh I think I'm generally just a miserable bass. I could blame that on hibs but I'd be just as bad a real Madrid fan. We are never going to have the success we had in the past due to money (sky tv). At the moment we are taking young players on loan from English premier clubs as big signings. It will only get worse from my point of view. Youth development is the only way forward. It's a gamble in that respect and I can only see us continuing on the path we are on. I don't mean championship football, just inconsistent results year from year. We will never have enough money to dominate the rest out with the old firm. I should note I'm in a good mood right now. 😨 but still I love hibs and always will.

lucky
26-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Relegation killed a lot of feelings for me, still Hibs daft but now not that fussed if I go to a game or not

Baldy Foghorn
26-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Get very upset after losses, especially derby games, but Alloa and QOTS really pee'd me off.....Relegation was murder, and I never left house for around a week after that

Jack Hackett
26-09-2014, 09:56 PM
A win seems to be a nice wee bonus rather than the YAASSS that it used to bring.

Don't even check the Scottish Premiership results now too. Without Hibs, Hearts, and Rangers it's a total embarrasment.

These are pretty much my sentiments these days. Since relegation my interest in football has dipped to an all-time low. I haven't watched a full match on the telly this season , be it Hibs or any other team. I will sometimes have a game on, but it will be in the background while I spend time on the www...the World Cup was pretty much a non-event, especially while the weather was so good, taking a poor second best to enjoying the fine evenings.

I've been on holiday for the last week, and my only real involvement with the game has been an occasional check on the Griffiths thread. It took a text from a friend after the game on Tuesday to remind me we actually had a game that night.

I seriously don't need the depression that follows the results we've been having the last few months (years?). There's more to what's left of my life than this.

I'm heading onto my balcony with a G&T to shed some tears of frustration, and watch the spectacular electrical storm currently brewing over the Almijara mountains

jdships
26-09-2014, 10:07 PM

Would think if anyone over 16 lets a football team defeat ruin your night/weekend/week ought to have a look at themselve in the mirror.

You got it in one my man :top marks
You put it perfectly IMHO
I am 82 and look back on 74 years of a roller coaster ride to end all roller coaster rides supporting Hibs.
Tend to remeber the "good" times and forget the rubbish :greengrin
There are more important things in life , to be honest, although it still hurts a bit to see what has happened in the last few years
More important is the fact I can still afford a pint on a regular basis :greengrin:wink:

Brizo
27-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Im now working on the basis that if the clubs custodians aren't bothered why should I.

Im very quickly turning into a cultural Hibbie. Didn't get a ST and only been to one game this season. I don't get in any sort of mood when we get beaten, as that's what im expecting. Likewise I couldn't get excited about our win up at RC.

I think im getting beyond apathy. I probably aspire to be apathetic.

Hibernia&Alba
27-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Im now working on the basis that if the clubs custodians aren't bothered why should I.

Im very quickly turning into a cultural Hibbie. Didn't get a ST and only been to one game this season. I don't get in any sort of mood when we get beaten, as that's what im expecting. Likewise I couldn't get excited about our win up at RC.

It's totally understandable right now. Everybody needs something to be excited about, if they're to maintain interest, and, sadly, there's been very little excitement on the pitch. If/when our fortunes improve, you'll get the bug again, mate. You need something to be positive about again.

SanFranHibs
27-09-2014, 08:14 AM

Yes, I feel really ashamed having not smiled my way along Gorgie Road, congratulating them, sharing some banter, enjoying a glass of champagne the night of our Cup final humiliation.

I must write a letter of apology to the Hearts board and also send a copy to the Scotsman to share my regret with the Loyalist/Unionist community at large.

I cannot understand how anyone can say that a bad result should never spoil even one night because surely no-one would have us believe that they go to watch Hibs because they just 'like to watch a good game of football' and the result is not important.

I am not suggesting we all wear black after a defeat (Hell, Leith would look like an outdoor Cure concert every weekend) or smash windows on the way home or break bottles over someones head in the Cowgate, but it is important. That is why people give up their hard earned cash every week, some travelling long distances to do so (suckers comes to mind :wink:), why people ensure their kids wear a Hibs top before they are on 'solids', why we come on Hibs.net to even make comments saying it's not that important! And tell me that on a certain day in Dundee in 1986 Albert Kidd's 'heroics' should not have evoked despair in Gorgie and elation in Leith.

Run or ruin? Of course it should not run your life but it certainly can ruin my day and I confess I still sometimes think 'How the hell did we manage to get ourselves relegated?' and I feel a residual anger.

If a 5-1 humiliation in the Cup by them can't ruin my day then conversely would it not be just as ludicrous had we won 5-1 for it to have made my day! Somehow I don't think I would have been looking at myself in the mirror asking 'Why am I so happy with this result?'.

I can understand more the mood of fans who have or are near to giving up because it seems the club have given up and ironically they are giving up because it is important to them and it does spoil their day/weekend/week so it is easier for them to not have to actually watch the . If it did not spoil their day then they could just happily watch another desperate and futile performance and whistle a merry tune on the way home.

Of course it is more than a game. That is why Ulster lads like Ivan tell us that 'for the rest of his life his blood will run green', or Franck put's his hand to the Hibs badge over his heart, or why 'there is class, first class and Hibs class', or why Griffiths chooses to go to Hibs games on his days off, or why Pat Stanton celebrates his 70th at Easter Road.

Indeed I think you have it the wrong way round. A 16 year old would not know any different and might think 'Haven't Hibs always been crap?', whereas the older ones know differently and it is the older ones who have had to watch our steady decline and find it depressing, in a football perspective and so give up. As I said, should it run your life? certainly not. But does it 'spoil' my weeekend after a defeat to Alloa, or QoS and look at us 3rd bottom in a lower divsion while those s***s from along the road sit atop the division, unbeaten? You bet it does!!!

Baldy Foghorn
27-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Dear oh dear:rolleyes:

Judas Iscariot
27-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Used to bother me, lots!! Whole weekends ruined because of a defeat..

Now I genuinely couldn't really care.

Have far more important things in life to be concerned or annoyed about

Holmesdale Hibs
27-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm old enough to be used to the disappointment so unless it's a big game I don't care much. If we win it still feels good though.

Eyrie
27-09-2014, 09:24 AM
I get more annoyed at the time by a poor performance than by a defeat, but ultimately it is only a game of football. I have plenty of other things going on to occupy my attention, most of which I can at least influence.

Twenty or thirty years ago I'd have considered the above to be the words of a part time fan. Must be an age thing.

Hibernia&Alba
27-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, I feel really ashamed having not smiled my way along Gorgie Road, congratulating them, sharing some banter, enjoying a glass of champagne the night of our Cup final humiliation.

I must write a letter of apology to the Hearts board and also send a copy to the Scotsman to share my regret with the Loyalist/Unionist community at large.

I cannot understand how anyone can say that a bad result should never spoil even one night because surely no-one would have us believe that they go to watch Hibs because they just 'like to watch a good game of football' and the result is not important.

I am not suggesting we all wear black after a defeat (Hell, Leith would look like an outdoor Cure concert every weekend) or smash windows on the way home or break bottles over someones head in the Cowgate, but it is important. That is why people give up their hard earned cash every week, some travelling long distances to do so (suckers comes to mind :wink:), why people ensure their kids wear a Hibs top before they are on 'solids', why we come on Hibs.net to even make comments saying it's not that important! And tell me that on a certain day in Dundee in 1986 Albert Kidd's 'heroics' should not have evoked despair in Gorgie and elation in Leith.

Run or ruin? Of course it should not run your life but it certainly can ruin my day and I confess I still sometimes think 'How the hell did we manage to get ourselves relegated?' and I feel a residual anger.

If a 5-1 humiliation in the Cup by them can't ruin my day then conversely would it not be just as ludicrous had we won 5-1 for it to have made my day! Somehow I don't think I would have been looking at myself in the mirror asking 'Why am I so happy with this result?'.

I can understand more the mood of fans who have or are near to giving up because it seems the club have given up and ironically they are giving up because it is important to them and it does spoil their day/weekend/week so it is easier for them to not have to actually watch the . If it did not spoil their day then they could just happily watch another desperate and futile performance and whistle a merry tune on the way home.

Of course it is more than a game. That is why Ulster lads like Ivan tell us that 'for the rest of his life his blood will run green', or Franck put's his hand to the Hibs badge over his heart, or why 'there is class, first class and Hibs class', or why Griffiths chooses to go to Hibs games on his days off, or why Pat Stanton celebrates his 70th at Easter Road.

Indeed I think you have it the wrong way round. A 16 year old would not know any different and might think 'Haven't Hibs always been crap?', whereas the older ones know differently and it is the older ones who have had to watch our steady decline and find it depressing, in a football perspective and so give up. As I said, should it run your life? certainly not. But does it 'spoil' my weeekend after a defeat to Alloa, or QoS and look at us 3rd bottom in a lower divsion while those s***s from along the road sit atop the division, unbeaten? You bet it does!!!

Superb post, SFH, 10/10. You've captured the essence of what being a football fan is about.

Stax
27-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Best post I've read on here for a long time.

Baldy Foghorn
27-09-2014, 11:16 AM

:top marks

Billy McKirdy
27-09-2014, 12:26 PM
yes, i feel really ashamed having not smiled my way along gorgie road, congratulating them, sharing some banter, enjoying a glass of champagne the night of our cup final humiliation.

I must write a letter of apology to the hearts board and also send a copy to the scotsman to share my regret with the loyalist/unionist community at large.

I cannot understand how anyone can say that a bad result should never spoil even one night because surely no-one would have us believe that they go to watch hibs because they just 'like to watch a good game of football' and the result is not important.

I am not suggesting we all wear black after a defeat (hell, leith would look like an outdoor cure concert every weekend) or smash windows on the way home or break bottles over someones head in the cowgate, but it is important. That is why people give up their hard earned cash every week, some travelling long distances to do so (suckers comes to mind :wink:), why people ensure their kids wear a hibs top before they are on 'solids', why we come on hibs.net to even make comments saying it's not that important! And tell me that on a certain day in dundee in 1986 albert kidd's 'heroics' should not have evoked despair in gorgie and elation in leith.

Run or ruin? Of course it should not run your life but it certainly can ruin my day and i confess i still sometimes think 'how the hell did we manage to get ourselves relegated?' and i feel a residual anger.

If a 5-1 humiliation in the cup by them can't ruin my day then conversely would it not be just as ludicrous had we won 5-1 for it to have made my day! Somehow i don't think i would have been looking at myself in the mirror asking 'why am i so happy with this result?'.

Of course it is more than a game. That is why ulster lads like ivan tell us that 'for the rest of his life his blood will run green', or franck put's his hand to the hibs badge over his heart, or why 'there is class, first class and hibs class', or why griffiths chooses to go to hibs games on his days off, or why pat stanton celebrates his 70th at easter road.

Indeed i think you have it the wrong way round. A 16 year old would not know any different and might think 'haven't hibs always been crap?', whereas the older ones know differently and it is the older ones who have had to watch our steady decline and find it depressing, in a football perspective and so give up. As i said, should it run your life? Certainly not. But does it 'spoil' my weeekend after a defeat to alloa, or qos and look at us 3rd bottom in a lower divsion while those s***s from along the road sit atop the division, unbeaten? You bet it does!!!

this 100%

Bishop Hibee
27-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Try to put all things Hibs out of my mind til game day. The state of the club makes me angry.

pampdahoosmoose
27-09-2014, 01:03 PM
This is the sort of thread that should seriously worry the club. Apathy setting in to so many of us after countless boots in the baws

This is exactly what I was thinking, if only the club read this thread they'd be really worried about so many fans not caring about a defeat the way they used to. But then again they probably wouldn't give a f***!!

Ronniekirk
27-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Used to bother me, lots!! Whole weekends ruined because of a defeat..

Now I genuinely couldn't really care.

Have far more important things in life to be concerned or annoyed about

Doesn't ruin my weekend ,but even at my age it can still cause a wee mood dip when we get beat and a feeling of elation when we win .Guess I still care .

erin go bragh
27-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Best post ive read on here for yonks . Agree 100% .

Ggtth

Dashing Bob S
27-09-2014, 02:01 PM
I attend regularly, so I'm not a glory hunter.

I bask in a glow when we do well.

When we don't, I get angered at a poor performance, but then just laugh about it later. I couldn't do that when I was younger, but I've seen too much of life to let the fortunes of a football team dictate my mood.

Hibernia&Alba
27-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I suppose the short term pleasure or pain of a result should be differentiated from the more long term feeling of despondency resulting from the overall downward trend of the past couple of years. It's this that dominates the feelings of any single result jut now for me. It's the constant concern regarding where we're heading and the direction of the club that bothers me most right now.

FranckSuzy
27-09-2014, 10:29 PM

9.5/10 from me. The bit in bold is a bit unnecessary, IMHO, but other than that it's spot on :wink: :aok:

Golden Bear
27-09-2014, 10:30 PM
What's a newspaper? No wonder circulation is falling with Hibs poor form being the prime reason. Petrie's fault nae doubt!

Forza Fred
28-09-2014, 12:32 AM
I am absolutely pi$$ed off with the current state we are in, and each further and expected defeat makes me even more ropable.

I'm afraid Hibs are turning me from a grumpy old man into a very grumpy old man.

I'd like to say it doesn't matter anymore etc etc, but it does and I can't

ALF TUPPER
28-09-2014, 05:45 AM
sanFran ....

Great post. Nicely written piece. GGTTH

Phil MaGlass
28-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Is it apathy from me ah dont know, I have almost given up, I havent even known whom our opponents were or the scores from the last 3 games, all I know is were at the foot of an amateur table, I almost gave up after the 5_1debacle, relegation, well, we all saw that train crash coming, been on the cards for years.Now with the custodians of our club seemingly not giving a flying one, why should I. I/we have followed them through thick and thin handed over our hard earned cash for absolutely no return. I really think we have lost a large part of the support that will never return, not being up their fighting before the end of the season will only give more supporters the excuse not tocome back. Problem is, even having new owners will not be enough to get them back, we really need new owners to heavily invest, having one or two businessmen put in a million each doesnt cover it. I fear for the future of the club, they really only have themselves to blame.

hibs4thecup1988
28-09-2014, 06:31 AM
I personally used to let it bother me a lot. Not now. Worryingly for me? When we scored vs cowdenbeath with the last kick of the game I barely even celebrated

Alfred E Newman
28-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I know we didn't play yesterday but a look at the tables in this mornings paper had me shaking my head in despair.

GreenArmyyy!
28-09-2014, 01:59 PM

I have seen it all on this forum now.

givescotlandfreedom
28-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Hibs can make or break a weekend for me. If that means I have issues then I have issues.

basehibby
28-09-2014, 04:47 PM
I decided long ago that I wasn't going to let the fortunes of Hibs dictate my mood - lets face it though - not just me but all Hibs fans would have to be kept away from tall buildings and sharp implements most of our lives if we were to make that the sole arbiter of our feelings.

So, like any sensible Hibby I've found other things to give me joy in life. I'd be lying though, if I said the state of my football club has no effect on my morale at all - you just learn to compartmentalize it. The part of my life that is Hibs has been a source of far too much disappointment and not nearly enough joy and excitement in recent years and even if I've got other reasons to be cheerful, it still means I've got one less reason to have a skip in my step.

st3vie
28-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Ive locked the wife in a cupboard, sold the kids on ebay and i have the yam next door buried in my back garden so far this season.

nah but seriously for me it does affect my mood when we are not doing well as im sure it does for allot of folks.

hhibs
28-09-2014, 06:20 PM

This.

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Sevco 1-3 Hibs

Best Louis Armstrong voice: "And I think to myself what a wonderful world. Oh yeeeeeeahhhhh". I'm in a great mood :-D

PatHead
29-09-2014, 10:01 PM
I know I should know better at my age but can't stop smiling tonight.

Stevie Reid
29-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Overall record for the season now 5 wins and 4 defeats, in the QF of the League Cup as well. Massive win tonight with some favourable fixtures to come next month.

We know we can score, if we can keep defending like we did tonight then we have much better times ahead.

Cameron1875
29-09-2014, 11:40 PM

My account must have been hacked!:wink:

Over the moon tonight, what a night. GGTTH

givescotlandfreedom
30-09-2014, 12:03 AM
Hibs can make or break a weekend for me. If that means I have issues then I have issues.

I love my issues tonight!

Septimus
30-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Euphoria---a feeling of well-being. I like it.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Funnily enough i'm in a terrific mood today. :wink:

Iggy Pope
30-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Could not have taken the ****ing smile off my face with a big stick today.

Persevere80
30-09-2014, 09:35 PM
A regular walked into my work today and said "so were aloud to talk about football today then?" He knows when not to talk to me, haha.

I've posted more today than what I have in months. A feel good factor coming back slowly but surely.