PDA

View Full Version : Future of Hibernian survey outcome

SDSsurvey
25-09-2014, 09:52 PM
At a meeting in the Hibs Club this evening the feedback from the recent Future of Hibernian survey was announced. It was a positive meeting with some positive decisions and a fuller report will be posted once the notes are all complied.

Of the 4086 who did the survey over 1600 are offering their skills and experiences to help being a united and positive change to our club.

Hibs fans final survey results

4086 surveys completed by Hibs fans over the past month 1040 of these were paper survey's collected at matches and around Leith and the rest were gathered on line. We also removed a number of surveys clearly from ‘non’ Hibs fans.

• It is known that the current owners are willing to discuss change and offers have been made. Do you believe it is time for supporters to discuss the ownership of Hibernian and look at different options going forward?
Yes – 84%

No – 10%

Don’t know – 6%

• Would you be interested in attending an event where clubs such as Borussia Dortmund, Portsmouth and Dunfermline share how their ownership models work and the experiences they've had?
Yes – 69%

No – 18%

Don’t know – 13%

• If fans got the chance to become more involved in the ownership and running of the club, would you be willing to join a membership scheme to provide extra income?
Yes – 68%

No – 20%

Don’t know – 12%

•
If so where would you prefer the income to be spent? Player Squad, Youth Academy or stadia and facilities?

Player squad – 73%

Youth Academy – 13%

Stadia and Facilities – 7%

Other – 7%

• Do you agree that Easter Road Stadium should be safeguarded as the future of Hibernian Football Club and any decision to change this must be made by the supporters?
Yes – 80%

No – 16%

Don’t know – 4%

• Do you have any other comments or issues that should be known about or considered?

Trust the current leadership of Dempster to continue to improve the dire situation at HFC. Needs to be allowed the time to fulfill her goals (at least 2-3 years)

Wouldn't want outwright fan ownership.

Must strive for a more successful club,in all areas,on and off the field,better communication throughout the club.

Its clear the current owners are no longer taking the club forward. We need to change the way our club is run.

Speculate to accumulate the fans will come if there is something to watch for years we have short changed with poor management appointments and lack of investment in the team

Consider stadium development wherever most valuable for sustainable future; Supporter ownership will kill the club as the income will NEVER be enough and setbacks will snowball. We are NOT Portsmouth and BDortmund started from a very different place.

I support the ownership and control of the club by the fans

I would be prepared to contribute as a shareholder rather than by providing donations.

I would have to see how a fan ownership investment will work and the costs involved to the fans not to just keep the club afloat but to move forward successfully

Fan representation on the Club Board.

• Would you be willing to get involved in a campaign to buy the club if required?
Yes – 67%

No – 33%

Keith_M
26-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks for posting the results.

The number of people willing to be involved, including in helping buy the Club (2700+), is really quite positive.

Gerard
26-09-2014, 08:46 AM
I attended the meeting and it was very positive and I like many other Hibs fans see the good things that can happen when we work together with Hibs.

RIP
26-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Aye - good meeting. I particularly liked the tactical suggestions from the floor.

The movement will need a strong campaign team with an effective leader and members with the right skills i.e. analysts, organisers, strategists, media, finance and business types. 1700 people have responded with emails listing and offering their talents. Alongside those guys will be those who can speak with passion to the media and at meetings - former players, celebrity fans, politicians. Proclaimers, Jackie Mac, Kano, Pat Stanton, Tony Higgins, Mickey Weir etc

Branches and messageboards can continue to help communicate the message out to the wider support

There's a bit of a power struggle going on in Scottish Football at the moment between rich corporate types who have ruled the roost the past three decades and grass roots fan movements of people trying to save their clubs. Rather than get caught up in the politics of that situation, I'd favour the development of a well run trust who can show the current owners that a business / community would be a safe and sustainable option to take our club forward.

We have nothing to gain from a war or a power struggle. It's about presenting a solid business model, good stewardship and most importantly the funds to back up our offer

SDSsurvey
26-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Future of Hibernian and Supporters Direct Scotland Meeting
Hibernian Supporters Association – 25 September 2014

The meeting was called to report back to Hibernian supporters on the outcomes and results of the recent survey.

Groups in attendance

Hibernian Supporters Association
Several Supporters Branches
Hibernian Shareholders Association
Former Players Association
Erin Trust
Individual Supporters.

The meeting started with an introduction and view on why we were sitting round the room;

The club is in the opinion of many in crisis both financially and on the park, this is due to continued mismanagement by the club and when the next set of accounts are released it is not unreasonable to expect to see the debt near the £8 Million mark. The main shareholders show no appetite for investment. We have had many changes in the dug out and in the playing squad yet the decline continues and clearly the problems run far deeper than that.

There was an acceptance that the division between the club and the fans is unhealthy.

The need for change is desperate and the consensus in the room and from the survey was that this should be fan driven and that the problems from the Well Society at Motherwell need to be acknowledged. The Fans are the only ones who care enough to bring about real change.

The survey results were then discussed in detail and the key points that the vast majority support looking at models for change and also to discuss membership models. Over 1600 people have offered their skills and services to help drive this forward.

Recap on survey results;
4086 surveys completed by Hibs fans over the past month 1040 of these were paper survey's collected at matches and around Leith and the rest were gathered on line. We also removed a number of surveys clearly from ‘non’ Hibs fans.

It is known that the current owners are willing to discuss change and offers have been made. Do you believe it is time for supporters to discuss the ownership of Hibernian and look at different options going forward?

Yes – 84%
No – 10%
Don’t know – 6%

Would you be interested in attending an event where clubs such as Borussia Dortmund, Portsmouth and Dunfermline share how their ownership models work and the experiences they've had?

Yes – 69%
No – 18%
Don’t know – 13%

If fans got the chance to become more involved in the ownership and running of the club, would you be willing to join a membership scheme to provide extra income?

Yes – 68%
No – 20%
Don’t know – 12%

If so where would you prefer the income to be spent? Player Squad, Youth Academy or stadia and facilities?
Player squad – 73%
Youth Academy – 13%
Stadia and Facilities – 7%
Other – 7%

Do you agree that Easter Road Stadium should be safeguarded as the future of Hibernian Football Club and any decision to change this must be made by the supporters?

Yes – 80%
No – 16%
Don’t know – 4%

Do you have any other comments or issues that should be known about or considered?

Trust the current leadership of Dempster to continue to improve the dire situation at HFC. Needs to be allowed the time to fulfill her goals (at least 2-3 years)
Wouldn't want outwright fan ownership.
Must strive for a more successful club,in all areas,on and off the field,better communication throughout the club.
Its clear the current owners are no longer taking the club forward. We need to change the way our club is run.
Speculate to accumulate the fans will come if there is something to watch for years we have short changed with poor management appointments and lack of investment in the team
Consider stadium development wherever most valuable for sustainable future; Supporter ownership will kill the club as the income will NEVER be enough and setbacks will snowball. We are NOT Portsmouth and BDortmund started from a very different place.
I support the ownership and control of the club by the fans
I would be prepared to contribute as a shareholder rather than by providing donations.
I would have to see how a fan ownership investment will work and the costs involved to the fans not to just keep the club afloat but to move forward successfully
Fan representation on the Club Board.

Would you be willing to get involved in a campaign to buy the club if required?

Yes – 67%
No –

An open discussion then took place and various items were discussed such as;

How much will the club cost?
What is for sale?
How do different models work?
Can we do this despite the fact the club is not in administration?
Can we get a figurehead?
Will we have an ‘Ann Budge’ style of underwriter?
What is the point of Fan representation on the board?

These are all questions that need to be explored and answers sought.

It was then agreed by a very strong majority that the way forward was to;

Draw a line in the sand and start a afresh
Discontinue previous campaigns
Bring all supporters together under one new common group
Bring the right expertise into the group to provide the platform for a professional and positive campaign for change
Look towards communication and education and being positive about our club and change.
Produce a viable and sustainable business model for our club.
We must ensure the Football Club and Stadium are kept together.

With this in mind the groups listed above agreed to create a new united and positive fans group to give the fans a stronger voice in pushing for real change and investment into our club.

Further details of this will be outlined over the next few days and if you have any expertise experience or skillset that you wish to add to the group please feel free to contact. Futureofhibernian@yahoo.co.uk

GGTTH

jacomo
26-09-2014, 03:13 PM
16% thought ER should NOT be safeguarded as the future of Hibs? And this after weeding out Jambos from the survey results?

Hate to be a sceptic, but I am not sure this is quite the overwhelming endorsement for a supporter-led buy out that was hoped for. Petrie will probably be stroking his tache with a relaxed air, the evil genius that he is.

FranckSuzy
26-09-2014, 05:47 PM
@SDSsurvey, thanks for the info. Sorry I couldn't make it on Thursday (I was working) but can I ask who the 'Hibernian Shareholders Association' are? Never heard of such a group..... :aok:

jacomo
26-09-2014, 06:09 PM
That isn't what the question asked, you have stopped it short.

Ok, for the sake of completion, when asked the question:

Do you agree that Easter Road Stadium should be safeguarded as the future of Hibernian Football Club and any decision to change this must be made by the supporters?

16% of respondents said no. Technically, that's two questions in one, but I made the assumption that the first bit carries much more weight.

Are you suggesting that 16% of people actually think that ER SHOULD be safeguarded, but that any decision to change this should not be made by supporters?

I'm tying myself in knots here, I think I'll stop.

Mikey
26-09-2014, 06:32 PM
16% thought ER should NOT be safeguarded as the future of Hibs? And this after weeding out Jambos from the survey results?

Hate to be a sceptic, but I am not sure this is quite the overwhelming endorsement for a supporter-led buy out that was hoped for. Petrie will probably be stroking his tache with a relaxed air, the evil genius that he is.

That stood out like a sore thumb to me too.

It was then agreed by a very strong majority that the way forward was to;

Draw a line in the sand and start a afresh
Discontinue previous campaigns
Bring all supporters together under one new common group
Bring the right expertise into the group to provide the platform for a professional and positive campaign for change
Look towards communication and education and being positive about our club and change.
Produce a viable and sustainable business model for our club.
We must ensure the Football Club and Stadium are kept together.

Do you expect to do this working with the club, or is it felt that there will be some resistance?

Hibernia&Alba
27-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks very much for the info of the meeting. Interesting stuff.

GORDONSMITH7
27-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the concise report amigo.

GGTTH

BIG G

SDSsurvey
27-09-2014, 10:56 AM
That stood out like a sore thumb to me too.

Do you expect to do this working with the club, or is it felt that there will be some resistance?

The group which have had many offers of help from skilled Hibs fans will create a model and a business plan independently, this is open to input from all Hibs fans. I have no doubts there will some engagement with the club , the feeling was very strong and clear that this is to be fans driven

Pretty Boy
27-09-2014, 10:59 AM
The group which have had many offers of help from skilled Hibs fans will create a model and a business plan independently, this is open to input from all Hibs fans. I have no doubts there will some engagement with the club , the feeling was very strong and clear that this is to be fans driven

What's the groups feelings on the takeover bid by Richard Skellett mentioned in todays press?

FranckSuzy
27-09-2014, 11:05 AM
@SDSsurvey, thanks for the info. Sorry I couldn't make it on Thursday (I was working) but can I ask who the 'Hibernian Shareholders Association' are? Never heard of such a group..... :aok:

Anyone else heard of the 'Hibernian Shareholders Association'? :confused: I am a proxy for my brother, who lives in Oz, and I've never heard of them. Indeed, at a WT meeting in the Hibs Club, the idea of shareholders being contacted for their views/support was discussed but then quickly dismissed as being too time-consuming/issues with obtaining their details, etc.

SDSsurvey
27-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Anyone else heard of the 'Hibernian Shareholders Association'? :confused: I am a proxy for my brother, who lives in Oz, and I've never heard of them. Indeed, at a WT meeting in the Hibs Club, the idea of shareholders being contacted for their views/support was discussed but then quickly dismissed as being too time-consuming/issues with obtaining their details, etc.

The group are the independent run association. They too have difficultly obtaining an up to date list.
if I can find the contact details I will
pm you

SDSsurvey
27-09-2014, 11:12 AM
What's the groups feelings on the takeover bid by Richard Skellett mentioned in todays press?

One positive is that Richard is a Hibs man without any doubt and we will be keen to engage with all groups.

Eric
27-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Suzy the Hibernian Shareholders Association was very active in the early 1990's but gradually died a natural death. However I suppose I still am a Member as to the best of my knowledge it was never actually disbanded!

FranckSuzy
27-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Suzy the Hibernian Shareholders Association was very active in the early 1990's but gradually died a natural death. However I suppose I still am a Member as to the best of my knowledge it was never actually disbanded!

Thanks Eric. So, were you contacted/represented at this meeting then? :wink:

FranckSuzy
27-09-2014, 11:52 AM
The group are the independent run association. They too have difficultly obtaining an up to date list.
if I can find the contact details I will
pm you

:aok:

Eric
27-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Thanks Eric. So, were you contacted/represented at this meeting then? :wink:

No Suzy but I did attend this meeting as Orkney Hibs and Shetland Hibs representative.:wink:

FranckSuzy
27-09-2014, 12:18 PM
No Suzy but I did attend this meeting as Orkney Hibs and Shetland Hibs representative.:wink:

Just as I thought :wink:

Barney McGrew
27-09-2014, 01:02 PM
One positive is that Richard is a Hibs man without any doubt and we will be keen to engage with all groups.

How much involvement has he had so far with SDS - have any conversations been had between him and SDS, and did he have any involvement with the survey itself?

SDSsurvey
27-09-2014, 01:33 PM
How much involvement has he had so far with SDS - have any conversations been had between him and SDS, and did he have any involvement with the survey itself?

Richard had no input into the survey, I have spoken to him and met him on a number of occasions. He attended one of the SDS meetings at the Hibs clubs recently.

Barney McGrew
27-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Richard had no input into the survey, I have spoken to him and met him on a number of occasions. He attended one of the SDS meetings at the Hibs clubs recently.

Did that initial contact with Richard happen before or after the survey was set up?

SDSsurvey
27-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Did that initial contact with Richard happen before or after the survey was set up?

Well before.

Beefster
27-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Well before.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that contradicts the previous chat. IIRC the chat was 'individual X' had contacted SDS to seek advice/do the survey and was then put in touch with other parties.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2014, 04:08 PM
I did the survey, I found some questions leading. Others were phrases in an ambiguous manner allowing licence on how to interpret answers. I found the whole question about whether Easter Road could be sold alarming.

I am also cynical about controls over how data was collected - paper copies in the Leith area. Why just Leith?

i have a dangerously small knowledge of the protocols for collecting data, and how they are interpreted. It would be great if someone with skills in that area could reassure cynics like myself that this whole process has not been a crock.

I raised concerns in the comments section of the survey. I realise that not every comment would make the summary, but am concerned at the lack of any negative comments at all.

SDSsurvey
27-09-2014, 04:16 PM
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that contradicts the previous chat. IIRC the chat was 'individual X' had contacted SDS to seek advice/do the survey and was then put in touch with other parties.

You are slightly wrong. Discussions had started with SDS about how they operated and what other clubs did without any mention of a survey. Other individuals where then brought around the table and then further down the road the survey became an option.

RIP
27-09-2014, 11:04 PM
The most encouraging aspect of this development are to bring together the four or five different parties that have been in discussion with Rod Petrie since 2013.

All that appears to have happened is that these parties have been brought together and with Supporters Direct acting as advisers, things are starting to look better organised.

We have been so badly run on and off the park in recent years it's impossible to believe that with all the business talent we have in Edinburgh that a Hibernian Community Trust could not make a big difference to our fortunes.