PDA

View Full Version : Marvellous.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Anyone watching this tv programme on BBC2? Never really like Lou Macari, but he's coming across very well in this, and i have a lot more respect for him now. :top marks

And what a good story to warm the cockles of your heart. :top marks

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Anyone watching this tv programme on BBC2? Never really like Lou Macari, but he's coming across very well in this, and i have a lot more respect for him now. :top marks

Real feel good story, well done Lou Macari.... One Neil Baldwin, there's only one Neil Baldwin......

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2014, 10:46 PM
What was it about and what's it called?

monktonharp
25-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Macari, I'd like to slap him til he was good lookin'....end of.

Bostonhibby
26-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Good wee player Macari, I always felt that with a bit of work he could have been a useful sub for us between 71&73:greengrin

tamig
26-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Great article here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/posts/Writing-the-Marvellous-life-story-of-Neil-Baldwinreat

Lucius Apuleius
26-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Cousin of one of my mates who happens to be a good hibby.

TheHarpy76
26-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Macari is a horrible little rat.
Asked to leave the '78 world cup squad early as he had to return home for "personal reasons".
Next day his story about the goings on in the Scotland camp were splattered all over the papers.

JimBHibees
26-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Is that the story when he bet against his own team when managing Swindon? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Is that the story when he bet against his own team when managing Swindon? :greengrin

Funny enough that never got a mention. :greengrin

LancashireHibby
26-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Really enjoyed watching that last night, absolutely incredible story. Macari rightly comes out with a lot of credit but don't forget the real star of the show :thumbsup:

worcesterhibby
26-09-2014, 09:00 AM
just watched the trailer, looks …well…marvellous ! Gonna watch it on Iplayer over the weekend. Thanks for the heads up BH :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2014, 09:04 AM
just watched the trailer, looks …well…marvellous ! Gonna watch it on Iplayer over the weekend. Thanks for the heads up BH :thumbsup:

Well worth the watch, not your normal football type programme and a real good watch. Some great moments where Neil rips the pish out of some very highly paid pricks. :greengrin

I think we should all chip in for a chicken suit for Tam McCourt. :faf:

Currie Hibbie
26-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Quite simply the best programme that has been on telly for a long time. Great acting from Toby Jones. Must be in line for a string of awards. If there were more people like Neil in this world then it would be a far better place. I laughed and cried throughout and although never knew anything about this guy you felt that he was your best friend from the minute the circus people ditched him at the start. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Seveno
26-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Great programme. It was a wonderful story about an amazing person and really well put together.

Franck Stanton
26-09-2014, 12:08 PM
have to admit missed it last night, however.....with the amazing invention of catch-up TV I am downloading it now, looking forward to watching it going by the comments on here.

CRAZYHIBBY
27-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to blackpool hibs for posting about this programme....i watched it last night after reading this and it was brilliant

FranckSuzy
27-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to blackpool hibs for posting about this programme....i watched it last night after reading this and it was brilliant

:agree: Watched it this afternoon. Great programme and whats more, it's true-ish :greengrin :aok:

worcesterhibby
27-09-2014, 10:31 PM
just watched it…Quality. Might head up to Stoke later this season and see if I can bump in to the man himself…would be nice to meet a third footballing legend (I've met Pat and Lawrie).

HH81
28-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Anyone know how I can watch it?

Scottie
28-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Anyone know how I can watch it?

Bbc I-player

Watched it this morning and really enjoyed it. Great heartwarming story.

Thank BH for the heads up on it. :not worth

Scorrie
28-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Great programme. I think that Nello (Neil Baldwin) will be on the pitch tomorrow for the Stoke Newcastle game on Sky

Bill Milne
29-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Best thing I've seen on the telly for longer than I care to remember!!:top marks

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2014, 01:59 PM
:agree: Watched it this afternoon. Great programme and whats more, it's true-ish :greengrin :aok:

Especially the bit where he rose like a salmon to head that goal. :greengrin

FranckSuzy
10-05-2015, 08:46 PM
The programme just won two BAFTAs and Nello was there :thumbsup:

James70
11-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Best bit of tv I have seen for ages, pity that Toby Jones didn't get BAFTA as well.

zitelli62
11-05-2015, 11:38 PM
brilliant

snooky
12-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Especially the bit where he rose like a salmon to head that goal. :greengrin
Your behind the times, laddie....
"Especially the bit where he rose like a sturgeon to head that goal".

gorgie greens
13-05-2015, 05:47 AM

Great shout Gary ,agree about Macari he always came across as a dour git but just shows you cant judge a book by its cover.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Great shout Gary ,agree about Macari he always came across as a dour git but just shows you cant judge a book by its cover.

Cheers pal, Macari never seemed to be anyone i'd want in charge of my team, as you say a bit dour and if i'm honest a bit of a dick.

Are you going up for the play off game Stewart?

gorgie greens
13-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Cheers pal, Macari never seemed to be anyone i'd want in charge of my team, as you say a bit dour and if i'm honest a bit of a dick.

Are you going up for the play off game Stewart?

im off on holiday on the 21st of may for 3 weeks ,was wanting to catch one of the games at least, but will be done and dusted before i get back.

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2015, 06:38 AM
im off on holiday on the 21st of may for 3 weeks ,was wanting to catch one of the games at least, but will be done and dusted before i get back.

:aok: Have a good time matey, and i hope you can catch the games wherever you are going.

FranckSuzy
01-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but for anyone who hasn't seen it, Marvellous is on BBC 2 tonight at 2100 :thumbsup:

Newry Hibs
05-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but for anyone who hasn't seen it, Marvellous is on BBC 2 tonight at 2100 :thumbsup:

That was a great watch....

BILLYHIBS
07-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Marvellous

Currently on the BBCi Player

jingler1954
07-07-2020, 08:34 PM
Just finished watching it great story. It has changed my perception of Lou Macari.

G B Young
07-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Just finished watching it great story. It has changed my perception of Lou Macari.

Really enjoyable film.

Macari made a bad move leaving Stoke for Celtic at that time but he came back to manage them again and still lives in the area. Think he's the patron of a homeless charity there.

Col L
07-07-2020, 09:29 PM
I interviewed Lou for my book ‘Six Foot Two Eyes of Blue’ (the authorised biography of Jim Holton) and he was a big help. Not only that, he drove up from Stoke to Manchester for the book launch, happily signed autographs and posed for pictures with my laddie. I found him a genuine, nice guy with his heart in the right place.

As for Marvellous - what a great film! That was the first time I’d seen it... like a fitba version of Forrest Gump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G B Young
08-07-2020, 09:21 AM
I interviewed Lou for my book ‘Six Foot Two Eyes of Blue’ (the authorised biography of Jim Holton) and he was a big help. Not only that, he drove up from Stoke to Manchester for the book launch, happily signed autographs and posed for pictures with my laddie. I found him a genuine, nice guy with his heart in the right place.

As for Marvellous - what a great film! That was the first time I’d seen it... like a fitba version of Forrest Gump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never really knew anything about Holton as he was a bit before my time, but that 'Six foot two...' song seemed to be one everyone knew. I remember reading that he was shorter than six foot two and didn't have blue eyes so I wonder how it got bestowed on him in the first place. Did it get sung about other players?

There's a song from the 1920s called 'Five foot two, eyes of blue' (also known as 'Has anyone seen my girl') but it seems an unlikely leap from there to an amended terracing version 50 years later...