PDA

View Full Version : Back 3

number9dream
24-09-2014, 10:50 AM
For those brave 300 who made the trip, how did the 3-5-2 look?
Are any of our 3 capable of bringing the ball out of defence? I'm not expecting Sauzee-like skills but it makes a big difference if Hanlon, say, can stride forward every now and again to start an attack.
Needs the wide men to put in a real shift too...

Greendreamer
24-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Interested to know how it operated.

As you say, the wide players have to put in some shift, counterattacks are the biggest threat, especially when both wide players end up in the opposition half and left with huge gaps exposed pulls the back 3 apart.

Also requires discipline not to drift.

Appears to be the formation of the month though you need to have the right players for the formation, do we ? don't know

stuart62
24-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I thought the defence played very well last night, anything they threw at us was cleared well, Fontain had a great game as did Forster and Hanlon.

overdrive
24-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Who played in the middle of the three?

Centre Hawf
24-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Guy on the commentary seemed to think it worked well. Says he'd lime to see us play it more often but questioned if we'd use it Vs Rangers.

Onceinawhile
24-09-2014, 12:11 PM

Hanlon according to the EEN report.

PeterboroHibee
24-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Often playing 3 at the back cant work because of poor defenders (eg Man Utd) or because it negates any attacking threat. It seems like we were quite comfortable with it though, making more chances than Ross County and for the first time this season, keeping a clean sheet. I hope he sticks with it against Rangers.

stantonhibby
24-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Hanlon according to the EEN report.

Hanlon is fairly composed on the ball so that would make sense.

Billy Whizz
24-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Paul Hanlon

KeithTheHibby
24-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Often playing 3 at the back cant work because of poor defenders (eg Man Utd) or because it negates any attacking threat. It seems like we were quite comfortable with it though, making more chances than Ross County and for the first time this season, keeping a clean sheet. I hope he sticks with it against Rangers.

Stubbs will be his own worst enemy if he changes a team which has just secured it's first away win and clean sheet of the season.

Mikey09
24-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Personally I would like to see Stubbs stick with this system but deploy Scott Allan as one of the midfield 3 with Gray on the right and booth on the left. Stevenson, Allan and McGeogh central. Would love to see Lewis play in there as in my opinion that's his best position. :thumbsup:

Franck Stanton
24-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Whilst it was great getting a win last night, I am not reading too much into the fact we at last kept a clean sheet. We have to remember it was only Ross County we were playing and they haven't won a game so far this season. [ I know they are in a div above us but that's because of their form last season not this one]. IMO the defence will have to prove themselves over a period of time and the jury is still out re Oxley who, at best, is competent rather than good.

Lang Toun Hibs
24-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Whilst it was great getting a win last night, I am not reading too much into the fact we at last kept a clean sheet. We have to remember it was only Ross County we were playing and they haven't won a game so far this season. [ I know they are in a div above us but that's because of their form last season not this one]. IMO the defence will have to prove themselves over a period of time and the jury is still out re Oxley who, at best, is competent rather than good.

Oh come on. A good result away from home, through to the last 8...nothing more than that granted but hope springs eternal n all that Franck!

wick hibby
24-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Last night hibs players worked as a TEAM no heads down bobo keeped his mouth shut so so better

Blaster
24-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Personally I would like to see Stubbs stick with this system but deploy Scott Allan as one of the midfield 3 with Gray on the right and booth on the left. Stevenson, Allan and McGeogh central. Would love to see Lewis play in there as in my opinion that's his best position. :thumbsup:

You would seriously make that many changes after last night? Only one change for me would be Allan in for the suspended mcgeouch

Mikey09
24-09-2014, 01:59 PM
You would seriously make that many changes after last night? Only one change for me would be Allan in for the suspended mcgeouch

Apologies.... I meant in the longer term. That's how I would like to see the team line up. If we're talking the Huns game I honestly think he will go 4-5-1. One problem I see with 3-5-2 is where does Stubbs play Kennedy who by all accounts is a very exciting player?? :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
24-09-2014, 02:01 PM

More than likely, but Allan is better much further forward, it's not a straight swop

erin go bragh
24-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Thought he was suspended for the next round only ?

Ggtth

Blaster
24-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Ggtth

I thought it was the Rangers game too

Centre Hawf
24-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Ggtth

Straight red. Next game and one cup.

Billy Whizz
24-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Ggtth

Wonder if we're appealing it?
Was at the game last night, but it was on the far side from me. Didn't think there were too many calls from the County supporters calling for a red!

Mango Man
24-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Am I right in thinking that's what Mcleish played at Hibs? with Fenwick, Le God and Smith as the back 3? I miss those days.

Billy Whizz
24-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Am I right in thinking that's what Mcleish played at Hibs? with Fenwick, Le God and Smith as the back 3? I miss those days.

Yes, Lovell right and Larsson on the left

sambajustice
24-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Who played the Matty Jack role?

overdrive
24-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Who played the Matty Jack role?

Occasionally Lyndon Andrews :greengrin

Franck Stanton
24-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Oh come on. A good result away from home, through to the last 8...nothing more than that granted but hope springs eternal n all that Franck!

Agree totally with what you are saying Dh, IF my reply was about last nights game/result on its own, then the view I gave was very harsh, however, as the reply is to the op question of does 3 at the back work and is it the way forward ? then it puts my reply in context. Of course I am happy with an away win, [to be honest with ANY win at the moment] and one that puts us into the last 8 of the cup is just a bonus . Just hope that it now kick-starts our season and we go on and improve the league results.

Brightside
24-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Craig has a good game last night. and stevenson was extremly good on the LWB pos. Allan may come in for McGeogh if out suspended.

If playing the system the LWB and RWB must work very hard and cover back also.... Booth forgets to come back.

He'll use this system against teams that punt the ball up.

Stevie Reid
24-09-2014, 08:04 PM

On what basis have you reached such a harsh conclusion regarding Oxley?

Franck Stanton
24-09-2014, 08:13 PM
On what basis have you reached such a harsh conclusion regarding Oxley?

His general play is imo not that great. He likes to punch crosses and doesn't do that very well, [no height/distance] quite a few times when he has dived and got a hand to the ball he pushes it into the danger area, [he did it twice in succession against Livi - pushed the ball back into danger area/around penalty spot, ] luckily for us no Livi players there. Now I know clean sheets aren't all about the keepers performance, they need help from their deffenders, but how many has he achieved to date ? Correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't last nights the first in competitive games ? As I say, for me, the jury is out, he is competent without being inspiring.

Up The Bracket
25-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Looked pretty decent tbh

We were caught a couple of times in the first half but it seemed to become more solid as the game wore on, I was very impressed with Fontaine who looks like a solid centre half, Gray and Stevenson were both also very good, not only defensively but going forward aswell, don't see why we shouldn't stick with it at Ibrox.

Unseen work
25-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Think we really have the players to compliment it, Stevenson and gray are both full of energy, good on the ball and know their defensive responsibilities and won't hide from that.

The 3 centre hands pick themselves and having Fontaine in adds the leadership we were maybe lacking

In midfield I would go for Allan mcgeouch Craig, all capable of creating chances and scoring goals and have a lot of ability

The main thing is even though if we are caught on the break we still have 3 at the back and the holding midfielder, they will just tuck in and make it hard to score against which last night proved.

When we attack the numbers will flow foward and it will be hard to get the ball off of us as it will seem we always have 1 or 2 spare, especially if a centre half comes out with the ball

I like it

Iain G
25-09-2014, 12:50 AM
Occasionally Lyndon Andrews :greengrin

I can only recall the one game off the top of my head, but what a game :-D

southern hibby
25-09-2014, 06:18 AM

I agree, however it all depends on how aunt Sally sets his team up. He's proved he's incompetent at formations and as proved at Ibrox already this season Hibs can play them off the park, we just need to convert our chances.

GGTTH

hibeeleicester
25-09-2014, 07:14 AM
I can't see us using a back 3 against Rangers! Could be wrong though :greengrin

Stevie Reid
25-09-2014, 08:46 AM
His general play is imo not that great. He likes to punch crosses and doesn't do that very well, [no height/distance] quite a few times when he has dived and got a hand to the ball he pushes it into the danger area, [he did it twice in succession against Livi - pushed the ball back into danger area/around penalty spot, ] luckily for us no Livi players there. Now I know clean sheets aren't all about the keepers performance, they need help from their deffenders, but how many has he achieved to date ? Correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't last nights the first in competitive games ? As I say, for me, the jury is out, he is competent without being inspiring.

I'm usually hypercritical of goalkeepers, but I don't have any concerns regarding Oxley at the moment. I must say I don't recall the incidents that you are talking about v Livi (that's not to say they didn't happen), but I do remember him making important saves v Livi, Falkirk and Hearts. I have seen him look less than comfortable with a couple of crosses certainly, but most keepers are like that on occasion. As I said, I'm not worried.

Yes, RC was our first clean sheet this season, but then Celtic have only kept two this year. In terms of our league, Hearts and Rangers have only kept two each also. Our defence has been much more of a worry than our keeper IMO, though hopefully that will change with us moving to a back three.

Tyler Durden
25-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I can't see us using a back 3 against Rangers! Could be wrong though :greengrin

Seen a few people saying this now - why not?

Brightside
25-09-2014, 03:00 PM

You normally play the back 3 against teams that lump it up to strikers. I've not watched much of rangers but i dont think thats how they played against us. 4231 would be the obvious route.

hibeeleicester
25-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Just because :agree:

Leith Green
25-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Obviously the downside of this is that it leaves us prone down the flanks, these are the areas that can be exploited by the opposition when going 352 , its one of they formations if you get it really well drilled then you will give out a few pumpings

Unseen work
25-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Obviously the downside of this is that it leaves us prone down the flanks, these are the areas that can be exploited by the opposition when going 352 , its one of they formations if you get it really well drilled then you will give out a few pumpings

Yeah, chances are though only one full back will attack at a time though so we would still have the 3 at the back, the holding midfielder and the other wingback - at least in theory that's what should happen, knowing hibs tho....

Tyler Durden
25-09-2014, 09:32 PM
You normally play the back 3 against teams that lump it up to strikers. I've not watched much of rangers but i dont think thats how they played against us. 4231 would be the obvious route.

Not trying to be a wido here but...

Juventus have played a 3 for last 3 years or so. Not sure your rationale came into their thinking?

The reason I asked is that our defence (or our defending as a team) has been poor for weeks with a flat 4. So it seems strange that people feel a 3-5-2 is somehow a radical move that Stubbs wouldn't "risk" against Rangers but would against Ross County.

There are definite weaknesses in the system but no moreso than any other. I like the fact that it helps us get more of our supposed strong/experienced players into the side. Albeit in time Id rather see the likes of Kennedy slotted in rather than Stevenson