23-09-2014, 11:26 AM
McCrae’s Battalion Centenary 1914-2014
One hundred years to the night...
Supporting Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland
Usher Hall
Edinburgh
Friday 28 November 2014

‘Somewhere in France – with love from the trenches’

On Friday 27 November 1914 a grand public meeting was held in the Usher Hall to inaugurate Lieutenant Colonel Sir George McCrae’s new Active Service battalion of the Royal Scots. The evening remains one of the most memorable and emotional moments in Edinburgh’s long history. By midnight three hundred volunteers had stepped forward – among them thirteen players from Heart of Midlothian Football Club and fellow professionals from Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Hibernian, Dunfermline and East Fife. Sportsmen and supporters from countless other fields joined them and within five days the roll was full. Scotland’s sporting battalion went on to win undying fame on the killing fields of the Western Front, carrying Edinburgh’s name with pride and distinction, but at a terrible cost. More than a thousand officers and other ranks perished in the war. Many of them – including most of the Hearts players – have no known grave.

On Friday 28 November 2014 Edinburgh will remember McCrae’s Battalion with a poignant evening of music, drama, song and previously unseen contemporary images. The distinguished actor Ken Stott will act as narrator.

All profits will be divided between the military charities, Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland. In effect, the lads of 1914 will be helping their counterparts in today’s armed forces cope with the injuries sustained on active service in Afghanistan and other theatres. The same dreadful injuries as those sustained on the Western Front – and at the same age. The life of a soldier has not changed much these past hundred years. McCrae’s legacy lies not in the history books, but in a living and breathing form of Remembrance with which everyone can engage.

We hope you’ll join us for a very special evening ... one hundred years to the night.

Doors open 19.00
Audience seated for 19.30
Tickets available from the Usher Hall
Full price adult £19.14
Concession £15.00
Child £10.00
Adult and Child combination ticket £25.00

Tom Hart RIP
23-09-2014, 02:09 PM
McCrae’s Battalion Centenary 1914-2014
One hundred years to the night...
Supporting Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland
Usher Hall
Edinburgh
Friday 28 November 2014

‘Somewhere in France – with love from the trenches’

On Friday 27 November 1914 a grand public meeting was held in the Usher Hall to inaugurate Lieutenant Colonel Sir George McCrae’s new Active Service battalion of the Royal Scots. The evening remains one of the most memorable and emotional moments in Edinburgh’s long history. By midnight three hundred volunteers had stepped forward – among them thirteen players from Heart of Midlothian Football Club and fellow professionals from Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Hibernian, Dunfermline and East Fife. Sportsmen and supporters from countless other fields joined them and within five days the roll was full. Scotland’s sporting battalion went on to win undying fame on the killing fields of the Western Front, carrying Edinburgh’s name with pride and distinction, but at a terrible cost. More than a thousand officers and other ranks perished in the war. Many of them – including most of the Hearts players – have no known grave.

On Friday 28 November 2014 Edinburgh will remember McCrae’s Battalion with a poignant evening of music, drama, song and previously unseen contemporary images. The distinguished actor Ken Stott will act as narrator.

All profits will be divided between the military charities, Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland. In effect, the lads of 1914 will be helping their counterparts in today’s armed forces cope with the injuries sustained on active service in Afghanistan and other theatres. The same dreadful injuries as those sustained on the Western Front – and at the same age. The life of a soldier has not changed much these past hundred years. McCrae’s legacy lies not in the history books, but in a living and breathing form of Remembrance with which everyone can engage.

We hope you’ll join us for a very special evening ... one hundred years to the night.

Doors open 19.00
Audience seated for 19.30
Tickets available from the Usher Hall
Full price adult £19.14
Concession £15.00
Child £10.00
Adult and Child combination ticket £25.00

Great cause. Well done to everyone involved. I won't be in the country so won't make it but I hope it's a sell out.

Jack Alexander
23-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Great cause. Well done to everyone involved. I won't be in the country so won't make it but I hope it's a sell out.

On the night the story will be told through the character of Harry Smith. Harry was a former Hibs player, who also turned out for St Bernard's and Leith. He was one of the first volunteers for the battalion. Harry was killed (along with most of his section) on the first day of the Somme and has no known grave. One small tragedy among so many uncounted.

We're hoping that everyone will get together to raise funds for two exceptionally worthy charities. We're inspired by the lads who served in McCrae's and we're organising the evening on their behalf. They may be dead, but that's no reason why they can't continue to make an active contribution!

Keith_M
23-09-2014, 02:21 PM
This is a Football Forum, I think this should be moved to the Dugout.

Leith Mo
23-09-2014, 02:29 PM
And of course we expect that HMFC will pay for their poppies this year of all years and not rely on one of their supporters (rather than than the actual Club) to do so. Lest We Forget....

Good Luck on the Night.

Tom Hart RIP
23-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I recently met David Etale who played for Spartans whilst serving in the army. David is Victor Wanyama's cousin and was a prolific striker until he was seriously injured in an explosion.
He is being pensioned out of the army is working hard to regain his fitness but is looking for a new career. Hopefully the money raised will go to helping ex soldiers such as David.
Will donate to the cause.

Bostonhibby
23-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Hoping it all passes off trouble free and all funds raised go directly to those its intended to help rather than "resting" anywhere in between and getting caught up in the financial problems of other businesses.

Keith_M
23-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Every year this gets posted on here and every year it's not long until the Thread degenerates into making digs.

I don't think it shows us up in a good light and wish it would either be binned or put in The Dugout.

Dashing Bob S
23-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Every year this gets posted on here and every year it's not long until the Thread degenerates into making digs.

I don't think it shows us up in a good light and wish it would either be binned or put in The Dugout.

Agreed. It has long become an excuse for sad tragedy queens and bitter sneering idiots to have a cyberspace handbags go at each other. AND it's absolutely nothing to do with this forum. Stick it in the Dug Out, where it belongs.

cabbageandribs1875
23-09-2014, 05:14 PM

i 3rd that motion :agree: the op likes to remind us every year, it's about time the Gretna Rail Disaster got more of an airing in public