PDA

View Full Version : For the statisticians: the past four managers

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher, and now Stubbs.

What's our overall record under them? How many games have we actually won? You could further back, but Calderwood's abomination of a tenure was when our fortunes seemed to go into freefall. I never thought I'd see another manager as bad as Calderwood......then Butcher surpassed him. Tell you what, Pat Fenlon was the best of the first three, which says it all. My God we need Stubbs to somehow turn this around.

Is Trig on? He's always good with the Hibs stats.

Nutmegged
22-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Dont look at stats, Yogi had some impressive stats, particularly for the 1 entire season he was in charge, a vocal section couldn't stand him though, how I long for Yogi these days

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Dont look at stats, Yogi had some impressive stats, particularly for the 1 entire season he was in charge, a vocal section couldn't stand him though, how I long for Yogi these days

You're right. They feel like the good old days now.

Ozyhibby
22-09-2014, 03:33 PM
He had 1 full season in charge and he finished 4th. Unfortunately he wasn't well spoken enough and was hounded out.

DH1875
22-09-2014, 03:37 PM
He had 1 full season in charge and he finished 4th. Unfortunately he wasn't well spoken enough and was hounded out.

:confused::confused::confused:

He was hounded out by a section of our fans. Don't know what it had to do with how he talks.

tamig
22-09-2014, 03:53 PM

Yogi left because we were in freefall and were playing pish. Nothing to do with perceived snobbery.

stantonhibby
22-09-2014, 03:55 PM

So nothing at all to to do with the 6-6 debacle, the goalkeeping school , Ross County cup game (& replay), De Graaf, Michael Hart , or the genius decision to start with Nish up front on his own in Maribor leaving Riordan and Stokes on the bench ?

Walter
22-09-2014, 03:56 PM
How spoilt we were when we see things now with hindsight

tamig
22-09-2014, 03:58 PM
I also heard Yogi getting interviewed about the hun game during the week. Tom English and co were banging on about how ICT seemed to show them too much respect and although they had a ton of possession it was mostly in their own half and not where they could hurt the hun. Yogi's response was all about how his boys had loads of possession but didn't really trouble them until it was too late. That was a bit like the latter part of his tenure here.

Nutmegged
Yogi left because we were in freefall and were playing pish. Nothing to do with perceived snobbery.

Its not perceived snobbery, its a false perception that we have a devine right to be challenging at the top of the table, Yogi for what he did in his one full season I believe deserved time to see if he could get it right, losing Stokes on deadline day was a killer for the entire team but Yogi had proved for years with Falkirk he could punch above his weight, he proved it with us too, in his only full season and is showing once again at Caley that he can manage a football team, before anyone thinks I'm championing for his return I'm not, merely pointing out that the one guy in the last 5 years whos stats held up to what we think we deserve was still hounded out!

Hibernia&Alba
How spoilt we were when we see things now with hindsight

We were where Hibs should be, as one of the biggest club's in Scotland, Walter. Where we are now is scandalous.

Ozyhibby
22-09-2014, 04:00 PM
So nothing at all to to do with the 6-6 debacle, the goalkeeping school , Ross County cup game (& replay), De Graaf, Michael Hart , or the genius decision to start with Nish up front on his own in Maribor leaving Riordan and Stokes on the bench ?

I wish we had those problems now.
:-(

tamig
22-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Its not perceived snobbery, its a false perception that we have a devine right to be challenging at the top of the table, Yogi for what he did in his one full season I believe deserved time to see if he could get it right, losing Stokes on deadline day was a killer for the entire team but Yogi had proved for years with Falkirk he could punch above his weight, he proved it with us too, in his only full season and is showing once again at Caley that he can manage a football team, before anyone thinks I'm championing for his return I'm not, merely pointing out that the one guy in the last 5 years whos stats held up to what we think we deserve was still hounded out!

The snobbery comment was in the context of folk saying he was hounded out because of the way he spoke.

Cameron1875
22-09-2014, 04:20 PM
You can't be the manager of a club with aspirations of Europe and Cup wins if you talk like Yogi does.

Sorry if some get annoyed by that but just the way of it.

Considering the Hibs board don't seem to have those aspirations though then he maybe should have stayed.

Weststandwanab
22-09-2014, 04:29 PM

They really should have tried playing football instead.

stantonhibby
22-09-2014, 04:31 PM
I wish we had those problems now.
:-(

Well its all relative of course. Compared to CC or TB then yogi is Brian Clough but lets not rewrite history and pretend the team were anything other than hopeless when he got emptied. Did we not have the worst run at home in our history under Hughes? ( That may well have been surpassed by now!)

Joe6-2
22-09-2014, 04:32 PM
We were where Hibs should be, as one of the biggest club's in Scotland, Walter. Where we are now is scandalous.

This. Spot on!

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2014, 05:39 PM
You can't be the manager of a club with aspirations of Europe and Cup wins if you talk like Yogi does.

Considering the Hibs board don't seem to have those aspirations though then he maybe should have stayed.

:faf: How do you know Van Gaal or whatever his name is at Man United does not talk with a dutch accent the equivalent to Leith?

tamig
22-09-2014, 05:52 PM
:faf: How do you know Van Gaal or whatever his name is at Man United does not talk with a dutch accent the equivalent to Leith?

You've opened a can of worms. I'll raise you mourinho.

SanFranHibs
22-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Debacle???? Its now a Classic. :wink:

Bronson
22-09-2014, 06:07 PM

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, what a snob you are. Seriously, feel embarrassed by that post.

Stax
22-09-2014, 06:10 PM
My Dutch mate reckons he's a pure schemie likes, his assessment of the game on Sunday in the Dutch press literally translates as "whit the fu** aboot that radge Leicester City Boy shooderin oor player of the ba then gets a penalty likes? :greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
22-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Under Yogi we almost went to of the spl in December and were attracting crowds of 13,000 plus for non category a games.
Steven Fletcher was sold just before he arrived and Stokes was sold in the transfer window forcing him to sign Duffy who broke his ankle in training before he made his debut.
Against Ross County in the cup we were 2-1 up when the ref wrongly ruled out a Deek Riordan goal which would have seen us progress to the semi final of the scottish cup and remember county beat Celtic.
I accept that we were in free fall when he left but I for one was sorry to see him go especially when we appointed Calderwood. When we finally punted him we were lucky to get 8,000.
Yogi had his faults but I still think he is a good manager as he is proving at Inverness.
He could also spot a player and has Tim Krull and Kasper Schmichal on loan.
He was ahead of his time with regard to diets and sports science using prozone???? Or whatever it is called which works out how far players run, how many passes, shots etc they do.

Tom Hart RIP
22-09-2014, 06:11 PM
That should read top of the spl

Smartie
22-09-2014, 06:16 PM
That we were playing some really dire stuff when Yogi was punted cannot be questioned.

How much of that was down to him certainly can.

He was unquestionably undermined by the board and arguably by us, the fans. His last transfer window was one that we absolutely had to get right because for all we'd finished 4th the previous season, we'd been in freefall for a while and we needed to shake it up.

That was the worst transfer window in a series of abysmal transfer windows. Stokes and Riordan's goals had papered over a few cracks the previous season, when our intially strong defence started to leak like a sieve.

The Stokes out/ Darryl Duffy in move is one of our worst ever (albeit Duffy was unlucky with injury as much as being plain keech). I was furious with Hughes for that window's dealings - although pretty much every window since has been similar where quality (or relative quality) left only to be replaced by inferior players. I've since come to accept that this is probably more to do with the "common denominator" than any of the individual managers.

And when I say we undermined him, we've continued all along to blame managers when the team starts to fail and it's a cycle that will have to stop somewhere. But that can start with the board stopping charging us top-dollar for tickets, raising expectations to a level that the players they "invest" in are never going to be capable of reaching. This leads to the consistent feeling of acrimony around the stands at Easter Road.

Hindsight is handy as ever and I may well have been one of those calling for his head but we are really going to have to start learning lessons from our mistakes some day soon.

Waxy
22-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Considering the Hibs board don't seem to have those aspirations though then he maybe should have stayed.Because he's an ordinary guy? Lots of sporting geniuses have been ordinary guys.Alex Higgins?

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2014, 06:24 PM
My Dutch mate reckons he's a pure schemie likes, his assessment of the game on Sunday in the Dutch press literally translates as "whit the fu** aboot that radge Leicester City Boy shooderin oor player of the ba then gets a penalty likes? :greengrin

:greengrin

Kato
22-09-2014, 06:30 PM

He succeeded at Falkirk when Latapy was in the team. Good football all flowing through someone who run a game and make his team-mates look better than they are. Without Latapy Falkirk were hapless hammer-throwers.

Kato
22-09-2014, 06:31 PM
The snobbery comment was in the context of folk saying he was hounded out because of the way he spoke.

Which is bollocks.

Tom Hart RIP
22-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I seem to remember big sol bamba returned from the African Nations Cup and was a nightmare for months, but I still think the disallowed goal against Ross county was the turning point.
I also remember Trackys producing a great performance against Motherwell setting up a couple of goals for Deek but we never seemed to play him much after that.

tamig
22-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Which is bollocks.

My point entirely.

tamig
22-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Under Yogi we almost went to of the spl in December and were attracting crowds of 13,000 plus for non category a games.
Steven Fletcher was sold just before he arrived and Stokes was sold in the transfer window forcing him to sign Duffy who broke his ankle in training before he made his debut.
Against Ross County in the cup we were 2-1 up when the ref wrongly ruled out a Deek Riordan goal which would have seen us progress to the semi final of the scottish cup and remember county beat Celtic.
I accept that we were in free fall when he left but I for one was sorry to see him go especially when we appointed Calderwood. When we finally punted him we were lucky to get 8,000.
Yogi had his faults but I still think he is a good manager as he is proving at Inverness.
He could also spot a player and has Tim Krull and Kasper Schmichal on loan.
He was ahead of his time with regard to diets and sports science using prozone???? Or whatever it is called which works out how far players run, how many passes, shots etc they do.
You highlight two keepers as examples of him being able to spot a player. His infamous "goalkeeper school" didn't reallyvwork out too well here though. I'm sure the average output from his Prozone stats would be around 60% possession with about 95% of that in his own half.

leither17
22-09-2014, 06:49 PM

Yogi talks with a leith accent the same as a lot of the fans do I think that was the least of his worries when he was at hibs and hasn't held him back managing elsewhere. Does that mean a man with a highland accent shouldn't manage a team from Edinburgh

Tom Hart RIP
22-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Agreed about the goalkeepers although I thought Mark Brown was ok.
We hVe to give him credit for finding Stokes first for Falkirk then getting him at Easter Road and also persuading Liam Miller to join us.
Scott Armfield was another player brought through the ranks at Falkirk.

Sir David Gray
22-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher, and now Stubbs.

What's our overall record under them? How many games have we actually won? You could further back, but Calderwood's abomination of a tenure was when our fortunes seemed to go into freefall. I never thought I'd see another manager as bad as Calderwood......then Butcher surpassed him. Tell you what, Pat Fenlon was the best of the first three, which says it all. My God we need Stubbs to somehow turn this around.

Is Trig on? He's always good with the Hibs stats.

I'm here. :greengrin

As requested the stats are as follows;

Calderwood

P-49
W-13
D-10
L-26

26.5% win rate

Fenlon

P-86
W-31
D-19
L-36

34.8% win rate

Butcher

P-29
W-6
D-8
L-15

20.6% win rate

Stubbs

P-8
W-3
D-0
L-5

37.5% win rate

We've only won 53 matches in the last 4 years and almost 60% of those wins came under Fenlon.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm here. :greengrin

As requested the stats are as follows;

Calderwood

P-49
W-13
D-10
L-26

26.5% win rate

Fenlon

P-86
W-31
D-19
L-36

34.8% win rate

Butcher

P-29
W-6
D-8
L-15

20.6% win rate

Stubbs

P-8
W-3
D-0
L-5

37.5% win rate

We've only won 53 matches in the last 4 years and almost 60% of those wins came under Fenlon.

Good work as always, statto. 53 wins in four years: now that's a killer stat. 82 defeats in that time, and 53-82 actually isn't as bad as I feared!!