PDA

View Full Version : NHC No World Cup in Qatar

(((Fergus)))
22-09-2014, 02:48 PM
For reasons of heat, apparently, although I don't know how you can plan for a World Cup next door to or in IS 2022.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-theo-zwanziger

BroxburnHibee
22-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Shocking decision to award it to them in the first place.

erin go bragh
22-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Good . Shocking decision to play it there in the first place .

Ggtth

tamig
22-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Money talks. It's the only thing that drives the FIFA bams. The ultimate self preservation society.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Great decision. The heat out there would have stopped Scotland winning it :-D

Keith_M
22-09-2014, 04:59 PM
No decision has been made, this is merely one person's opinion.

Hopefully there will be a re-vote on this but I'm not confident that: a) It will be allowed to happen, b) You could trust the same bribe takers to get it right this time.

NAE NOOKIE
22-09-2014, 06:21 PM
The decision to award it to Qatar was beyond dumb even for FIFA and that's saying something ...... the bribes must have been high quality :agree:

Fans snuffing it from heat stroke.

Gay people wont want to go.

Alcohol banned.

Conservative dress code.

Who the hell would want to go to a World Cup like that ............ Scotland are bound to qualify :faf:

Oh and apparently the investigation into corruption within FIFA ( all 350 pages of it ) is now finished. But FIFA are refusing to make it public. You couldn't make it up.

KazHibby
22-09-2014, 06:26 PM
at least the next WC tournament is being held in a country, whose record on democracy, free speech, peaceful protest, religious freedom and recognition of sovereign states, when compared to Qatar, is well about the same without the heat and humidity!!

Funny no one is complaining about too loudly about them:aok:!!!

KazHibby
22-09-2014, 06:34 PM
The decision to award it to Qatar was beyond dumb even for FIFA and that's saying something ...... the bribes must have been high quality :agree:

Fans snuffing it from heat stroke.

Gay people wont want to go.

Alcohol banned.

Conservative dress code.

Who the hell would want to go to a World Cup like that ............ Scotland are bound to qualify :faf:

Oh and apparently the investigation into corruption within FIFA ( all 350 pages of it ) is now finished. But FIFA are refusing to make it public. You couldn't make it up.

Alcohol ain't banned in Qatar, readily available in the many bars, most of which are located at hotels. Also residents can purchase alcohol!!

Qatar plough an enormous amount of money into sport.
Just ask Andy Gray and his mates on Bein Sports channels

Michael
22-09-2014, 07:15 PM
at least the next WC tournament is being held in a country, whose record on democracy, free speech, peaceful protest, religious freedom and recognition of sovereign states, when compared to Qatar, is well about the same without the heat and humidity!!

Well, to me Russia are a football playing nation capable of holding the event in the summer (assuming stability in 2018). Realistically, if you start looking at stuff beyond the football side then there aren't too many nations that aren't doing something questionable.

Sylar
22-09-2014, 07:23 PM
His opinion is sound but I can't see FIFA as a body retracting their award to Qatar.

Which, given the number of people who have died in the construction of their stadia already, is a true pity.

They won't want to be seen to be losing face.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Womder where it will go if this is to be the case?

With the, relatively speaking, short notice anyone reckon it could be England? Got a huge chunk of the infastructure already in place.

ekhibee
22-09-2014, 08:40 PM

With the, relatively speaking, short notice anyone reckon it could be England? Got a huge chunk of the infastructure already in place.
They would be in with a great shout.

McKenzie
22-09-2014, 08:47 PM

USA in as favourites on Laddys. Reckon either there or England are the only places in with a shout

bingo70
22-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Was Australia not the favorites for it before it went to Qatar? They'd have the stadiums to be able to organise it at this notice.

jacomo
22-09-2014, 09:25 PM

It should go back to Brazil. And stay there permanently.

Everyone seemed to agree it was a great tournament, and it would give Brazil a chance to pay off those expensive stadiums and maybe invest in the local communities, as they promised.

It would also strip FIFA of its power to rip host countries off every four years - Brazil would be guaranteed hosts so wouldn't have to agree to their ludicrous terms.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-09-2014, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=ekhibee;4179232]They would be in with a great shout.[/QUOTE

Aye and they certainly would as it would save them the bother of qualifying, I wonder if they will cheat again and get all they're games played at Wembley?

Just sayin like...

snooky
22-09-2014, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=ekhibee;4179232]They would be in with a great shout.[/QUOTE

Aye and they certainly would as it would save them the bother of qualifying, I wonder if they will cheat again and get all they're games played at Wembley?

Just sayin like...

... while fly Qatar gently weeps?

(((Fergus)))
22-09-2014, 10:36 PM

You're absolutely right. Another dictatorship and regional troublemaker trying to buy prestige with natural resources. But at least they are a footballing nation with a tolerable summer climate.

BH Hibs
22-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Someone will be wanting their money back.

Keith_M
23-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Whitabootery at it's finest!

magpie1892
23-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Alcohol ain't banned in Qatar, readily available in the many bars, most of which are located at hotels. Also residents can purchase alcohol!!

Qatar plough an enormous amount of money into sport.
Just ask Andy Gray and his mates on Bein Sports channels

ALL bars are located in Hotels, and have outlandish prices for a pint. There is not a single, stand alone bar in the whole country. Also residents can purchase alcohol - yes they can, with a government-issued license (takes about 6 weeks to process) which allows the holder (and the holder alone) to purchase alcohol from the country's single off-license (handily located in the desert) which must immediately be returned to the holder's residence, and consumed there. This is also religion-specific in that if, say, a British muslim tried to get a liquor license, their application would be rejected. If there is any suspicion that alcohol purchased in the solitary off license (it's cheap, I'll give them that) has been consumed anywhere than the card-holder's residence, the the license is permanently revoked as an absolute minimum punishment. Deportation, or a month in a desert prison followed by deportation is not unusual.

But Qatar ploughs an enormous amount of money into sport, so that's all right then. Qatar also kill an enormous amount of indentured labourers as well, is that OK?

And Qatar not only funds IS, but has decided to take part in 'attacking' them as well now, apparently. Yeah, whatever. There's no getting away from it - Qatar is a hardline islamic state with no freedom of expression at all and outrageous punishments for minor infractions - unless you 'know someone' - i.e. it's also corrupt to the core. It's the perfect host for FIFA, I'm surprised they never got the World Cup before.

The day that Qatar's name came out of the envelope I was living in Qatar and came on here to lambast the poverty of the decision - only to get shouted down by about a dozen people.

How times change.

magpie1892
23-09-2014, 10:55 AM
anyone reckon it could be England?

No. Can't be in Europe in 2022.

Haymaker
23-09-2014, 11:06 AM
No. Can't be in Europe in 2022.

Think it has to be asia? With the rotation of it.

magpie1892
23-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Think it has to be asia? With the rotation of it.

No, Asia for 2026. FIFA basically wants China - even though they're even more gash than Qatar.

The US bid for 2022. Laughable, really, to think they could top the Qatari bid!

Gus
23-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I think it should be in Britian.

Haymaker
23-09-2014, 11:53 AM
No, Asia for 2026. FIFA basically wants China - even though they're even more gash than Qatar.

The US bid for 2022. Laughable, really, to think they could top the Qatari bid!

Isnt Qatar technically in Asia? Although it is a big place.

The rotation thing is weird, realistically there are only a few countries in some parts of the world big enough/rich enough to hold the event anymore.

Phil MaGlass
24-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Dont understand why thet were ever considered in the first place, they backed the Brotherhood in Egypt and have been seen as very large backers of ISIS allegedly,although it has recently in public anywat, stepped back from more support through pressure from other middle east countries, do we really, really want to be sending football fans from all over the globe there.F, n nuts.

Keith_M
24-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Dont understand why thet were ever considered in the first place, they backed the Brotherhood in Egypt and have been seen as very large backers of ISIS allegedly,although it has recently in public anywat, stepped back from more support through pressure from other middle east countries, do we really, really want to be sending football fans from all over the globe there.F, n nuts.

Loadsamoney, Bribes.

If the decision were to be overturned, the Qataris will make public the names of everybody they paid money to. That's why FIFA will be fighting to keep it there.

Phil MaGlass
24-09-2014, 10:56 AM
I think I would rather have my name released in connection with bribes than be responsible for any terrorist attack which leads to mass casualties, but this is FIFA, show me the moneyyy

Deansy
24-09-2014, 12:16 PM
For reasons of heat, apparently, although I don't know how you can plan for a World Cup next door to or in IS 2022.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-theo-zwanziger

Aye right - if it doesn't go ahead there it's because Sepp's been offered a bigger bung !.

hibbybrian
24-09-2014, 05:16 PM
ALL bars are located in Hotels, and have outlandish prices for a pint. There is not a single, stand alone bar in the whole country.

Pretty much on the button J. but before your time here, there used to be a licensed Tex-Mex food/bar beside the tennis centre, however this was closed after a (local) patron was involved in a fatal drink-drive road accident. There are still bars at the Golf course (expensive) and at the rugby club (relatively cheap)

Also residents can purchase alcohol - yes they can, with a government-issued license (takes about 6 weeks to process) which allows the holder (and the holder alone) to purchase alcohol from the country's single off-license

The 6 weeks is due to the extensive bureaucracy involved to get a residence permit :greengrin the issuance of the licence itself takes about 10 minutes.

handily located in the desert

It used to be on the edge of the desert but has now been surrounded by extensive recent developments :wink:

which must immediately be returned to the holder's residence, and consumed there.

Technically, but there have been known to be violations :wink:

This is also religion-specific in that if, say, a British muslim tried to get a liquor license, their application would be rejected. If there is any suspicion that alcohol purchased in the solitary off license

I know several "Western" Muslims who have licenses :wink:

(it's cheap, I'll give them that)

40 quid for a 70cl bottle of Islay Malt is no that cheap :confused:

has been consumed anywhere than the card-holder's residence, the the license is permanently revoked as an absolute minimum punishment. Deportation, or a month in a desert prison followed by deportation is not unusual.

FFS now you tell me :greengrin

The day that Qatar's name came out of the envelope I was living in Qatar and came on here to lambast the poverty of the decision - only to get shouted down by about a dozen people. How times change.

IIRC we were sitting in the Library guzzling pints of lager at the time :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
19-03-2015, 07:30 PM
i see the final will be the 18th Dec

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31975274

Fifa has confirmed that the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar will take place on 18 December.
A Fifa taskforce recommended last month that the tournament should be switched from summer to winter.
The decision to hold the final on 18 December means Britain's traditional Boxing Day club matches on 26 December can still take place.

Alex Trager
19-03-2015, 11:13 PM
An absolute farcical decision on so many levels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ekhibee
20-03-2015, 12:27 AM

Good point, they're just as corrupt as each other. If FIFA wasn't so corrupt itself the World Cup would never be held in Russia, and because they do play football there it would have hurt them even more. Personally I would have held it in Ukraine, that would have really stuck it right up them. Doesn't matter anyway, FIFA/Russia do what they want whenever they want, regardless of what others think.

ScottB
20-03-2015, 06:33 AM
I think the very concept of a World Cup is going to take an absolute battering; first by being in Russia, with all that brings, then in Qatar, built on the bones of slave labour.

It's certainly going to take some shine off it.

PeeJay
20-03-2015, 06:43 AM
I think the very concept of a World Cup is going to take an absolute battering; first by being in Russia, with all that brings, then in Qatar, built on the bones of slave labour.

It's certainly going to take some shine off it.

You sure? It lost any "shine" it may have had a long time ago IMO: Argentina 1978, need I say any more?