PDA

View Full Version : Defensive midfielder

Unseen work
22-09-2014, 02:26 PM
This is our biggest problem IMO

Who can fill the role?

Stevenson? Try Forster or Fontaine there?

Any youngsters that could do it?

TheFamous1875
22-09-2014, 03:54 PM
This is our biggest problem IMO

Who can fill the role?

Stevenson? Try Forster or Fontaine there?

Any youngsters that could do it?

Stevenson's a shoo-in for the role. If he can't do it competently he's not a starting player, in my opinion. He all the attributes to play the holding role well, but failing that, the only player I can see doing it could be Hanlon as he's composed and good with the ball, but he's also a centre half who. Only impose himself. Think Matty Jack.

Franck Stanton
22-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Either Stevenson or Hanlon. Stevenson is a good defender, wins the ball well but is not a left back as he doesn't overlap or cross very well. Would flourish in D/M role

Hanlon is a midfield player converted to c/h, would also flourish as d/m ---- lets face it, both would do better than the players we have tried there so far.

pontius pilate
22-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I would have stevenson in there in a 4-1-4-1 formation yes I know its onlyb1 up top but in theory the support should be there

hibs4life
22-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Have to agree that it is Stevenson for this role. Combative, destructive, energetic, defensively minded but also capable of finding other players with the ball to start the creative process going forward.
I've said for a while I think we are missing a trick not playing him in this role when it seems we have been trying square pegs in round holes to fill it. Maybe I'm missing something but this position seems an ideal fit for Lewis.

Eyrie
22-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I would have stevenson in there in a 4-1-4-1 formation yes I know its onlyb1 up top but in theory the support should be there

We have enough attack-minded midfielders and most teams in this league will look to soak up pressure and hit us on the break, so that makes sense (despite only using one striker).

eastmainsmsh
22-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Sign Darren o dea and play Paul hanlon as DM

percy veer
22-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't play either of they 2 cuddly bears at DM, they would be constantly bullied and be scared of the opposition, like the past 5 seasons or so.

Blaster
22-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Sign Darren o dea and play Paul hanlon as DM

If we signed him I would play hanlon at left back

keep the faith
22-09-2014, 07:53 PM
We used to have load of DMs. They were all Fenlon would sign!!!!

The_Horde
22-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Thomson would've been IDEAL.

jacomo
22-09-2014, 09:30 PM
We used to have load of DMs. They were all Fenlon would sign!!!!

Weird isn't it? What next? 5 right backs in the next window? How hard can it be to build a balanced squad?