PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEMS AT HIBS ( In their Head)

Wellbankhibby
22-09-2014, 07:12 AM
Week by Week I watch my beloved Club go from bad to worse. I have no doubt that a huge problem is a Psychological one. For years we have gone to play the Yams and before a ball is kicked we are a goal down.It has now spread to fear and a lack of belief whoever we play. I believe we need someone to install some belief in the team. Appointment of Managers Although A.S. would not have been my choice the board have yet again let the Fans down. We need a Manager who will instill belief into the playing Staff someone who is a winner. We have had this in the past McLeish, Collins. To some extent Yogi and Terry Butcher. A vast majority of our fans felt Yogi and TB were the right appointments at the time but the pressures of Managing Hibs were too much for some. Yogi did well before managing Hibs and is doing well again, Butcher did well before Hibs and will possibly do well again. Collins is a winner but our superstars couldnt accept him.
The main problems with Hibs are at Board level while on the Park much of these are Psychological. Its the same as players, Doyle, James Collins, Clayton Donaldson all good players before signing for Hibs and when they leave they get back on track. Far to long we have gone for the cheap option, sometimes in life you have to push the boat out to get the right people that time IS NOW. Strachan as Manager and Sign some players with that winning attitude. :flag:

Phil D. Rolls
22-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Week by Week I watch my beloved Club go from bad to worse. I have no doubt that a huge problem is a Psychological one. For years we have gone to play the Yams and before a ball is kicked we are a goal down.It has now spread to fear and a lack of belief whoever we play. I believe we need someone to install some belief in the team. Appointment of Managers Although A.S. would not have been my choice the board have yet again let the Fans down. We need a Manager who will instill belief into the playing Staff someone who is a winner. We have had this in the past McLeish, Collins. To some extent Yogi and Terry Butcher. A vast majority of our fans felt Yogi and TB were the right appointments at the time but the pressures of Managing Hibs were too much for some. Yogi did well before managing Hibs and is doing well again, Butcher did well before Hibs and will possibly do well again. Collins is a winner but our superstars couldnt accept him.
The main problems with Hibs are at Board level while on the Park much of these are Psychological. Its the same as players, Doyle, James Collins, Clayton Donaldson all good players before signing for Hibs and when they leave they get back on track. Far to long we have gone for the cheap option, sometimes in life you have to push the boat out to get the right people that time IS NOW. Strachan as Manager and Sign some players with that winning attitude. :flag:

Nurse, the screens!

Baader
22-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Strachan isn't going to leave Scotland to manage Hibs. Can't agree with the mention of Butcher - an unmitigated disaster.

Ronniekirk
22-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Sadly you can forget that notion Strachan has his hands full with Scotland and we are brassick Flint Our documented fall from grace is there for everyone to see We are slaves to fortune in a regime that has played its hand and its joker but never come up trumphs apart from Mowbry .We have maybe been to hasty to fire some but we know Petrie does this when fans are restless and results not going well to save his own skin To date it's worked for him but not for the club as a whole .
The winds of change campaign was a master stroke at diverting Kano et al from pressing on when we as fans had the upper hand and momentum briefly .

however that ship has now Sailed and the current consultation exercise will do nothing to change the situation I have said before we are in Danger of becoming a Community Club ie that's where the focus of our energy lies and that is at expense of addressing the issues in the first team squad which in turn meant no promotion this year unless we got lucky and so far it seems our luck isn't i. .

It is clear Leeann was anticipating coming into a club in the top league ,and in that respect and no disrespect to Stubbs ,he wouldn't of been in frame for the job if that was the case .

I think the fact Stubbs is now coming out saying there is no quick fix ,is because he knows fans will start getting on his back if we loose next two games , and we will be back into a Media Circus and Feeding Frenzy of what has happened to this once Proud Club .

But we are where we are . Leeann has set out her and the Clubs stall with her blueprint to bridge the Disconnect between Academy and first team This was always therefor going to take us down the longer route back

If she has got the changes right at grassroots we may reap the benefits in years to come She may have astutely looked at our overall position and realised we weren't coming straight back up so opted to invest in more human infrastructure and tie ups with local clubs .its an investment that may reap rewards down the line .

The current cuts may also mean our Balance sheet isn't so unhealthy come the AGM and that is classic Petrie .

I hope we can pull two shock results out the bag this week ,but I have no expectation we will ,and that more than anything is what saddens and angers me in equal measure .

Stubbs somehow needs to get a settled team back playing like we did at Ibrox where there was some optimism that he had us going in right direction .But he has dropped handling and his new 4 year deal ,dropped craig Heff and Harris and booth . He brings in new players who go straight in and when loan players get that lift but don't do the business on the park it causes disharmony in dressing room ,and an inexperienced manager will imo struggle to deal with that Its a small squad ,and as T B found out ,when he has to go back to these same players when injuries and suspension kick in they won't be interested .

This. A G M has to be focal point to articulate concern and there needs to be hope from it that Farmer will sell up taking Petrie with him .I accept that then brings further challenges and is in itself no guarantee things will then sort themselves out on the pitch but without new investment/ ideas we are in danger of getting stuck on a sandbank and not being able to be re floated and steer a course to saftey

whatever happened to the Hillton Huns ,Lochee Fleet , jam jute and journalism . Nostalgia for the seventies when fit ba was a joy to watch

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Good players equals good teams, there's nothing psychological about that. As usual we lack enough of them, even in this dump of a league.

southern hibby
22-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Strachan isn't going to leave Scotland to manage Hibs. Can't agree with the mention of Butcher - an unmitigated disaster.

I agree 100% however I'n Butchers defence at least he knew that most of the players needed to be shipped out. However this doesn't justify getting relegated.

GGTTH

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2014, 09:11 AM
I heard the players didn't fancy it on Saturday because it wa a plastic pitch.

One of the coaching staff we recruited needs to be a head doctor.

J-C
22-09-2014, 09:23 AM
A good team starts off with a solid defence, something we've been starved off at Hibs, we throw money at the midfield and attacking but we never seem to address the real problem and that's at the back. It's nigh on impossible to get the midfield/attack to be confident when they themselves have little confidence in the players playing behind them, just look at Man U this past 2 years, great attack and decent midfield but shocking defence. We have the same core in defence for the last 2-3 years, a young decent Forster who needs a strong player next to him and the ever present, ever below average Hanlon who doesn't know what positioning is and gets bullied by all and sundry. Then we have Stevenson who I do like but is constantly played as a LB when he's a natural midfielder, a position he played when he won MOM as a cup final.

2 new CB's and a top LB is a priority and until we get the joke of a defence sorted, then we'll be in this league for a while.

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2014, 09:30 AM
A good team starts off with a solid defence, something we've been starved off at Hibs, we throw money at the midfield and attacking but we never seem to address the real problem and that's at the back. It's nigh on impossible to get the midfield/attack to be confident when they themselves have little confidence in the players playing behind them, just look at Man U this past 2 years, great attack and decent midfield but shocking defence. We have the same core in defence for the last 2-3 years, a young decent Forster who needs a strong player next to him and the ever present, ever below average Hanlon who doesn't know what positioning is and gets bullied by all and sundry. Then we have Stevenson who I do like but is constantly played as a LB when he's a natural midfielder, a position he played when he won MOM as a cup final.

2 new CB's and a top LB is a priority and until we get the joke of a defence sorted, then we'll be in this league for a while.

:agree: We have a back 4 that every team in this league, and the leagues below think before the game they had a good chance to score against.

J-C
22-09-2014, 09:41 AM
:agree: We have a back 4 that every team in this league, and the leagues below think before the game they had a good chance to score against.

It's the one area in the team that's been a shambles for years now, Hanlon has been at the heart of it now for around 4 of those years and Forster is still wet behind the ears, what can Hanlon teach Forster when both are at times as bad as each other. You'ds think by now Hanlon would know how to position himself, his tackling is stil woeful and he's shocking when up against anyone decent in the air, I don't want to slook like I'm singling him out but he's been the one constant in the piss poor defence for this period.

Unfortunatley Booth has come back and although he's decent going forward, he's atrocious when defending, so Stubbs has went for the safe Stevenson option, not a lot going forward but fairly solid in defence. We're crying out for a DM to sit in front of the defence and generally break up play and allow the creative players the space, why is Stevenson not used there??? Also Fontaine has played many times as a LB, surely that's another option we should be looking at, a decent big defender who can filll in at LB, giving more solidity at the back.

Hiber-nation
22-09-2014, 10:23 AM
IAlso Fontaine has played many times as a LB, surely that's another option we should be looking at, a decent big defender who can filll in at LB, giving more solidity at the back.

I never knew that. He seems to be a not very mobile big lump of a centre half, I couldn't imagine him at LB and don't really want to think about it, especially when we need our full backs to be getting forward and putting in decent crosses (like Booth was doing before he got dumped).

J-C
22-09-2014, 10:29 AM
I never knew that. He seems to be a not very mobile big lump of a centre half, I couldn't imagine him at LB and don't really want to think about it, especially when we need our full backs to be getting forward and putting in decent crosses (like Booth was doing before he got dumped).

TBH I want my FB's to defend 1st and foremost, I'll let the attacking wide men get the crosses in and let them stop the goals coming in.

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2014, 10:48 AM
TBH I want my FB's to defend 1st and foremost, I'll let the attacking wide men get the crosses in and let them stop the goals coming in.

I disagree, whenever we have had anything near a decent side its when we've had two full backs who could attack, two full backs who could go past their midfielder on both sides, their man and ours.

I cant see the point in criticising lewis stevenson for being a solid left back and doing what he's good at and defending well, which he does mostly each week.

Yet going forward he's poor, not his fault its just not his game. He's someone who plays the safe ball all the time, yes it keeps us in possession, but he's part of the problem of how slow we are at moving the ball on and obviously forward.

Teams can get behind the ball very easily against us, because we don't move it on quick enough, and Stevenson is not the only one guilty of that.

In this league, i can't understand why we are so cautious? And just why Robertson is getting a game when his only real attribute is he can run about for about an hour?

As a quick fix, but by no means one thats good enough for the SPL, Stevenson could replace Robertsons and be the holding midfielder, get Booth in at left back and attack teams better on the left with Kennedy's trickery.

We are struggling on the right, Stantons never a right sided player, and neither is Handling. Harris is so off form he's not even quoted, this is a position that needs strengthening in January.

Up front is a worry in my opinion, god i hope this Griffiths rumour is right.

emerald green
22-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Good players equals good teams, there's nothing psychological about that. As usual we lack enough of them, even in this dump of a league.

:agree: Good players are strong both physically and mentally.

You don't have to be a huge physically imposing guy though to put in crunching tackles, and have a winning mentality. For example, Alex Cropley or Billy Bremner.

Keith_M
22-09-2014, 11:35 AM
I think we need some Fans* to volunteer to go into the Dressing Room to gee up the players before the start and then again at half time. Give them some idea of what it means to us.

* But not FrankSuzy. It may be a bad idea to send her into a dressing room full of half-dressed, fit, hunky guys :wink:

emerald green
22-09-2014, 11:45 AM
I think we need some Fans* to volunteer to go into the Dressing Room to gee up the players before the start and then again at half time. Give them some idea of what it means to us.

* But not FrankSuzy. It may be a bad idea to send her into a dressing room full of half-dressed, fit, hunky guys :wink:

Top players don't need anyone to gee them up. Whether it be coaches, club directors, fans, whatever. They already have that will to win and burning desire to do well no matter what the circumstances. They are self motivated.

GreenLake
22-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I heard the players didn't fancy it on Saturday because it wa a plastic pitch.

One of the coaching staff we recruited needs to be a head doctor.

Were they worried about playing badly on it or getting injured like Farid?

AndyM_1875
22-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Up front is a worry in my opinion, god i hope this Griffiths rumour is right.

So do I, however one player won't fix a side whose head is all over the place and hasn't got enough good players and still hasn't got to grips with being relegated.

Keith_M
22-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Top players don't need anyone to gee them up. Whether it be coaches, club directors, fans, whatever. They already have that will to win and burning desire to do well no matter what the circumstances. They are self motivated.

OK, but we don't actually HAVE any top players.

ancient hibee
22-09-2014, 03:01 PM

You don't need top players to play where we are.You just need to do the basics properly.

emerald green
22-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Sadly, I agree with you, but I think players in general should be able to motivate themselves to win matches.

Is that really asking too much of this squad of so-called professional footballers? Or, are they simply too mentally weak to go to places like Alloa & QOS and even get a draw, never mind actually beat these teams? Or, are they simply not good enough, full stop? A bit of both perhaps?

GreenLake
22-09-2014, 03:45 PM

We don't need anyone to fluff them up either.:greengrin

FranckSuzy
22-09-2014, 04:55 PM

If they are only half-dressed, that may mean they'd not have their wallets on them so they're no good to me :agree: :wink: #scranner

bobbyhibs1983
22-09-2014, 09:31 PM
some good points raised and an intresting thread.

I think alot of our players, as someone said have this fear about them, but what can we do? i dunno if our manager is good enough or experinced enough to sort this issue out,
i mean what if the player rufuses to do this or that? will some go to rp and say oh mr chariman this is too hard?
another issue imo if i think some players may have the , i dont care attitude about them they train and play football, win./lose they get paid at the end or the week/month.

on the issue of trianing, i ve read stuff on here(weather its true or not i cant comment)
about pool tables, xbox and stuff um why?
our training centre should be that for training as well as video anaylasis(sp),do we do that?

Imo i think our manager should state quite clearly what is and what is not acceptable
e.g ok we will be fitter than last week, we will do better than last week, we want to better ourselfs and our team,losing is a very very last resort,
anytihng less is unacceptable, if you do not want to be part of this, we ll rip up your contract(a lil more harder than simple im sure)

Turkish Green
22-09-2014, 10:21 PM
A good team starts off with a solid defence...

Something that the current Man Utd can demonstrate the lack off. It doesn't matter how many £££££s are spent on strikers if you don't have a defence you don't have a team.