PDA

View Full Version : Dundee FC - the upward spiral?

jacomo
21-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Really interesting article about the new owners at Dundee:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/29261405

Seem to be focusing on the important things... a long term focus on youth development, but short term focus on building a decent squad on a sustainable expenditure. Certainly would swap places with them right now.

Canongatehibs
21-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Seem to be focusing on the important things... a long term focus on youth development, but short term focus on building a decent squad on a sustainable expenditure. Certainly would swap places with them right now.

they got a fair humping from Dundee Hibs this afternoon

#2 Double Tap
21-09-2014, 09:36 PM

but they can keep james mcpake

:greengrin

jacomo
22-09-2014, 11:10 AM
they got a fair humping from Dundee Hibs this afternoon

Yes they did. But they can probably console themselves with the fact that their derby rivals have been miles ahead of them for years.

Overall though I am impressed by the way the new owners are going about their business.

Keith_M
22-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Well, we seem to be getting it half right, as there is definitely a long term strategy in place.

The short term is the issue and I see no other way around it than somebody willing to take the hit of throwing money at the problem. We retained far too many of the losers from last season and they need shipped out and replaced with players who have both the skills and grit for this league.

Anybody out there got some money to spare?

:dunno:

IWasThere2016
22-09-2014, 12:24 PM

I know John and he knows what he's doing alright.

The eldest son referred to is one of my youngest best pals. They seem very settled in sunny Monifieth.

jacomo
22-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I know John and he knows what he's doing alright.

The eldest son referred to is one of my youngest best pals. They seem very settled in sunny Monifieth.

Sure they don't fancy moving to East Lothian? :wink:

IWasThere2016
22-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Sure they don't fancy moving to East Lothian? :wink:

heretoday
22-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Always liked Dundee. They used to play some terrific football in the sixties. Jocky Scott?

ancient hibee
22-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Does this mean that fan ownership isn't the answer?

Sylar
22-09-2014, 02:58 PM
It's nice to see a club who have had such a dark recent history put their troubles behind them and progressing in the correct manner.

They took a hiding at the weekend and will be in United's shadow for a fair while based on the evidence but they're certainly moving in the right direction.

Unlike some other clubs who have experienced immoral financial operating and failed to learn anything from it...

jacomo
22-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Does this mean that fan ownership isn't the answer?

Personally I think it is an answer, but not always the answer. I also think that clubs need clear focus and leadership from the top... there is a risk that fan ownership could lead to a club being run by a squabbling committee, or elections like you have in Spain where candidates are encouraged to promise the earth to secure votes.

I am not sure what the exit strategy is at Dundee FC, but maybe they see fan ownership down the line too? For now, though, they seem intent on re-establishing the club back in the top flight and winning the fans back - exactly where Hibs should be focusing too.

cam2644
22-09-2014, 03:45 PM

Interesting about Dundee, but just about any club in Scotland has been run better than ours.Long term plans will count for nothing while so few resources are used to put a decent first team out for the next match.

jacomo
22-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Interesting about Dundee, but just about any club in Scotland has been run better than ours.Long term plans will count for nothing while so few resources are used to put a decent first team out for the next match.

Very true. I just think the Dundee comparison is particularly interesting, as a club that had fallen from grace but now - under fresh leadership - seems to be getting it right on and off the park.

flash
22-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Dundee better run than us? They have been in admin twice.

erin go bragh
23-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Admin twice and maybe a worse derby win record than us . as bad as our derby record is we do have the better new year derby stats ( won 32 ,lost 30 ) in competitive games its 139 wins to 87 .
United have won 75 to Dundee's 45 .

Ggtth

jacomo
23-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Dundee better run than us? They have been in admin twice.

Yes, and in the doldrums for years. But they now seem to be turning it around.

jacomo
23-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Admin twice and maybe a worse derby win record than us . as bad as our derby record is we do have the better new year derby stats ( won 32 ,lost 30 ) in competitive games its 139 wins to 87 .
United have won 75 to Dundee's 45 .

Ggtth

Our derby record is horrific.

eastcoasthibby
23-09-2014, 11:47 AM
An owner that cares about the club and is willingly invest a bit try and develop a for a better future ...that's what it takes on whatever scale is relative to the club

silverhibee
23-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Hope they get relegated.

HibbyAndy
23-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Hope they get relegated.

Correct. Only because rat boy is in charge.

Hibby_G
23-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Correct. Only because rat boy is in charge.

😄

HibbyAndy
23-09-2014, 08:57 PM
😄

Through to the next roond G Yeyyyyyyyy :greengrin