PDA

View Full Version : Should the SFA now merge with the FA for team UK?

MB62
19-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Given the fact that we are now no longer Scotland but Britain, is this not the ideal time to merge all the UK FA's and have just one?

There has been a precedence set when Germany united and East and West just became Germany, so after the vote last night, it seems logical that Brits have won and we just have one UK team.

J-C
19-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Given the fact that we are now no longer Scotland but Britain, is this not the ideal time to merge all the UK FA's and have just one?

There has been a precedence set when Germany united and East and West just became Germany, so after the vote last night, it seems logical that Brits have won and we just have one UK team.

No we are still seperate nations, remember it's only the parliaments that merged and not the countries, a bit like the EU and all the countries involved in that.

Also E and W Germany came around after WW2 when the country was divided by the allies and Russia, the fall of communism brought the German people together again, many families suffered due to the wall in Berlin.

hibs0666
19-09-2014, 02:41 PM

You need to put your petted lip away mate and get over it...

cabbageandribs1875
19-09-2014, 02:42 PM

you're on a downer, stop it :greengrin

silverhibee
19-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

SanFranHibs
19-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Not just that but it is being pretty insulting to Wales and Northern Ireland.

MB62
19-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Get over what? The majority of people last night voted to be British, that's fine, but with that comes consequences. UEFA and FIFA have been looking at our situation for a long time and maybe this is the excuse they need. It's not as though the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland football teams contribute greatly to the international game.

Spike Mandela
19-09-2014, 02:50 PM
No we are still seperate nations, remember it's only the parliaments that merged and not the countries, a bit like the EU and all the countries involved in that.

The EU is not a country, the UK is. On no list of countries or sovereign states will you find Scotland, except Fifa due to a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' cobbled together.

There will be many actual countries looking at todays event and asking, with some justification, just how can there be a country that has 4 teams entered in competition especially when spaces are limited at major tournaments etc

The IOC already recognises that there should only be one GB team and it logically wouldn't be a great leap to suggest it is right that Ffa should follow suit.

hibs0666
19-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Get over what? The majority of people last night voted to be British, that's fine, but with that comes consequences. UEFA and FIFA have been looking at our situation for a long time and maybe this is the excuse they need. It's not as though the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland football teams contribute greatly to the international game.

People last night voted to be Scottish and British, just the same as they were yesterday and the day before. If you think you're British now then that's fine but there's nae need to drag the national team into it.

J-C
19-09-2014, 03:18 PM
The EU is not a country, the UK is. On no list of countries or sovereign states will you find Scotland, except Fifa due to a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' cobbled together.

There will be many actual countries looking at todays event and asking, with some justification, just how can there be a country that has 4 teams entered in competition especially when spaces are limited at major tournaments etc

The IOC already recognises that there should only be one GB team and it logically wouldn't be a great leap to suggest it is right that Ffa should follow suit.

The UK is made up of 3 Nations, Scotland and England, Wales and N Ireland is classed as a province

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

The_Horde
19-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Only if we then get a share of the money that floats around English football.

Mcpakeisgod
19-09-2014, 04:30 PM

C'mon man I was a yes man aswell but there's no need to be so bitter about it, it just seems petty and not how a hibs man should be acting.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2014, 04:32 PM

The FA in UEFA and FIFA refers to Football Associations, federation and union, International and European. Have I missed the bit on last nights ballot paper about Football Association membership? Nothing has changed for football and a wee bit of eye drying needs to take place.

Spike Mandela
19-09-2014, 04:34 PM
The UK is made up of 3 Nations, Scotland and England, Wales and N Ireland is classed as a province

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

A nation can be a country or simply a territory. We all live in one country and that is the UK. Scotland is a devolved region within that country.

If you disagree with the fact our country is the UK take it up with the UN and their list of countries recognised as sovereign states.

The logic some people use to state Scotland is a country appears to be the same blurred logic that allows The Rangers to perpetuate the lie that their football team is the same club that was liquidated a few years ago.

jacomo
19-09-2014, 04:37 PM
;4174440']Only if we then get a share of the money that floats around English football.

A play off into the EPL for Scottish teams then.

Keith_M
19-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Also E and W Germany came around after WW2 when the country was divided by the allies and Russia, the fall of communism brought the German people together again, many families suffered due to the wall in Berlin.

Scotland is not a Nation in any real sense of the word.

Have a look at your Passport, you are British.

There is no longer a justification for having a separate Scottish team as the people of Scotland rejected the right to be a Nation.

Accept it, we are a region of the UK based on the Nation that used to be called Scotland.

SunshineOnLeith
19-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Merging the teams is too far, but we should probably readopt GSTQ as our anthem rather than Flower of Scotland, which seems a bit hollow now.

ionahibby
19-09-2014, 04:49 PM

There is no longer a justification for having a separate Scottish team as the people of Scotland rejected the right to be a Nation.

Accept it, we are a region of the UK based on the Nation that used to be called Scotland.

Agree. I wonder how many no voter scotland fans would kick up a stink if FIFA told us we had to be a GB football team, i bet they would complain then!

whiskyhibby
19-09-2014, 04:57 PM

😄

whiskyhibby
19-09-2014, 05:02 PM
C'mon man I was a yes man aswell but there's no need to be so bitter about it, it just seems petty and not how a hibs man should be acting.

Well said

Beefster
19-09-2014, 05:07 PM
There's an incredible amount of people who were claiming to love Scotland yesterday can't wait to talk it down today. We've had folk hoping that Scotland gets shafted, folk claiming that Scotland is dead, folk claiming we're not a real country/nation any longer and a fair bit more.

Maybe they loved the idea more than the actual country?

Jack
19-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Perhaps we could have a vote on it?

I'm sure there are a few yes and no stickers and badges and stuff going cheap!

HH81
19-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Name it UK United? :-)

Waxy
19-09-2014, 05:23 PM
A British cup would be interesting.

nellio
19-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Im Welsh and there is no danger we want a UK team. Keep it as it is, I enjoy the friendly rivalry with you Scots.

iwasthere1972
19-09-2014, 05:30 PM

The last time I looked on a map it said Scotland. :na na:

Someone in the office this morning suggested we call ourselves Northern Britain. No way.

whiskyhibby
19-09-2014, 05:41 PM
we all need to get over it , the people of Scotland have spoken, that's it , let's get back to footballl

John_the_angus_hibby
19-09-2014, 05:43 PM

No they voted to remain what they were on Wed. Citizens of the United Kingdom. No change. UEFA / FIFA would not have a leg to stand on as there was no constitutional change coming directly from the vote. More devolution towards home rule would make it even less likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_the_angus_hibby
19-09-2014, 05:51 PM
There's an incredible amount of people who were claiming to love Scotland yesterday can't wait to talk it down today. We've had folk hoping that Scotland gets shafted, folk claiming that Scotland is dead, folk claiming we're not a real country/nation any longer and a fair bit more.

Maybe they loved the idea more than the actual country?

Well said. Scotland actually showed it had the strongest democratic spirit in Europe with this election; regardless of result. I am proud as hell of Scotland as it seriously debated with seriousness, banter, laughter and passion two differing futures. But both as Scotland. One as a totally independent state (though that does not always mean a lot for small countries in the 21st century) and the other as a Nation within a Union of Countries sharing a collaborative future with shared resources. (Putting aside the notion that the Union needs at least an upgrade).

We are not less today. In fact I am sure our referendum has shown us in a great light. What an amazing turn out. Though I was initially sceptical allowing 16+ has energized a new generation, which can only be good.

Don't talk Scotland down. I think we can walk taller today. Our Nation did not fight, shoot, hack our differences on this. We talked, laughed, argued, debated. Then voted in huge, huge numbers.

sambajustice
19-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Well said. Scotland actually showed it had the strongest democratic spirit in Europe with this election; regardless of result. I am proud as hell of Scotland as it seriously debated with seriousness, banter, laughter and passion two differing futures. But both as Scotland. One as a totally independent state (though that does not always mean a lot for small countries in the 21st century) and the other as a Nation within a Union of Countries sharing a collaborative future with shared resources. (Putting aside the notion that the Union needs at least an upgrade).

We are not less today. In fact I am sure our referendum has shown us in a great light. What an amazing turn out. Though I was initially sceptical allowing 16+ has energized a new generation, which can only be good.

Don't talk Scotland down. I think we can walk taller today. Our Nation did not fight, shoot, hack our differences on this. We talked, laughed, argued, debated. Then voted in huge, huge numbers.

Well you've highlighted the problem in your last paragraph. Millions have fought and died over the years to make their respective countries free. "Scotland" is handed it on a plate and we reject it!!! We're happy to keep taking the soup from England. Its a pure embarrassment.

We cant be 2 countries. Its either or.

Scotland is no more a country than liverpool, newcastle or any of the cities part of the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire.

I always said it would probably be a no but im surprised how sickened I am by this!

"We can still rise now and be a nation again"!!! Aye, your hole!!

macd123
19-09-2014, 06:10 PM
We should definitely merge the leagues. Is there any value in playing kilmarnock and ross county when we could be playing leeds and middlesboro and trebling our player budget? Keep the scottish cup but merge the leagues. Could they legally stop clubs when we are part of the same country?

Canongatehibs
19-09-2014, 06:14 PM

me thinks he's having a dig at your lot.

Pretty Boy
19-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Can we not stop all this?

I can't even describe the emotions I've felt the last 18 hours or so. Anger, upset, hurt, confused to name a few.

But nobody would seriously have suggested a UK team or a UK league this time yesterday so why has that changed today? Nobody voted to become part of England yesterday, it was a vote to retain what has been the case for years and years and years.

By all means question why the result went the way it did but it's about time folk picked themselves up and looked to what needs done rather than wasting their time on stuff like this.

AgentDaleCooper
19-09-2014, 06:33 PM
FFS. 45% of the population want to be completely separate countries - that does not in ANY way mean that 55% want to completely merge. Idiotic suggestion IMO

Sir David Gray
19-09-2014, 06:48 PM

According to the UN, the following countries are not sovereign states and yet they all have football teams recognised by FIFA;

American Samoa
Anguilla
Aruba
Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Cook Islands
Curacao
Faroe Islands
Guam
Hong Kong
Macau
Montserrat
New Caledonia
Palestine
Puerto Rico
Tahiti
Taiwan
Turks and Caicos Islands
US Virgin Islands

When they all lose their FIFA recognition, I will accept the home nations breaking up and being replaced by one UK team.

macd123
19-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Can we not stop all this?

I can't even describe the emotions I've felt the last 18 hours or so. Anger, upset, hurt, confused to name a few.

But nobody would seriously have suggested a UK team or a UK league this time yesterday so why has that changed today? Nobody voted to become part of England yesterday, it was a vote to retain what has been the case for years and years and years.

By all means question why the result went the way it did but it's about time folk picked themselves up and looked to what needs done rather than wasting their time on stuff like this.

That's what i mean. Realistically we couldn't do any of those things if independent. But wouldn't you rather be in swansea s position than ours?

Pretty Boy
19-09-2014, 07:02 PM
That's what i mean. Realistically we couldn't do any of those things if independent. But wouldn't you rather be in swansea s position than ours?

Ours.

I'll accept I'll probably be in the minority, bit of a habit the last couple of day!

judas
19-09-2014, 07:29 PM

I agree. Sengland! Sengland!

Danderhall Hibs
19-09-2014, 08:04 PM

Good shout mate.

wookie70
19-09-2014, 08:10 PM
I tend to agree that we are no longer a country. We have decided to become a Region of the UK. Our devolved powers will be similar to some of the larger English Cities in the future. Football is way down the list to be concerned with but if FIFA or UEFA came after us I don't think we could argue with them now.

The Baldmans Comb
19-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Scotland always has been a bit of a pretend country at best and a million miles away from being a proper nation in the true sense of the word.

Chucking out the baby with the bath water though is a gross overreaction.

It's going to be weird Scotland match though if anyone tries to sing the completely laughable Flower of Scotland.

The Tartan Army are going to get laughed at throughout their European jaunts as well as proper European nations some of who have fought wars for their independence must just giggle at a pretend country who couldn't vote to run their own lives and preferred to be run by others.

allezsauzee
19-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't see why we should worry about singing Flower of Scotland.Most national anthems are full of wind and pish about the country. The star spangled banner claims that the USA is the land of the free and they have the highest incarceration rate in the world :wink:

ionahibby
19-09-2014, 09:29 PM
I have to admit i decided to give the scotland v giorga match a miss for 2 reasons(despite being Ta member) - 1. I knew it might be a no vote hence being a flat atmosphere and 2. I refuse to give rangers (most fans being unionists) the money! My opinion of course!

FranckSuzy
19-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Scotland always has been a bit of a pretend country at best and a million miles away from being a proper nation in the true sense of the word.

Chucking out the baby with the bath water though is a gross overreaction.

It's going to be weird Scotland match though if anyone tries to sing the completely laughable Flower of Scotland.

The Tartan Army are going to get laughed at throughout their European jaunts as well as proper European nations some of who have fought wars for their independence must just giggle at a pretend country who couldn't vote to run their own lives and preferred to be run by others.

Wow.

thebigman1875
19-09-2014, 10:31 PM

We are Still Scotland, and always will be. End of.

JOD
20-09-2014, 05:29 AM
We are the first nation ( and a stress nation) ever to turn down the chance to be an independent country. We are the laughing stock of he world. The rest of the world cannot understand why we would do this????? At the next Scotland game how can we stand and sing an anthem '' Flower of Scotland'' when given the chance we said '' No Thanks'' Edinburgh our capital was a disgrace. Having said that went to Glasgow today to see the worst Unionist violence and bigotry I have ever seen in my life. Even worse than the Huns/Diet Huns coming to us. So in my opinion let us go back in our box become the North of Britain and sing God Save The Queen and live happily ever after. Just to bring it home to you NO voters you are now British First and Scotland 2nd. Make no mistake about that. So when someone asks you what are you ? you answer I'm British otherwise you are a hypocrite. :cb

GreenLake
20-09-2014, 05:51 AM
I don't see why we should worry about singing Flower of Scotland.Most national anthems are full of wind and pish about the country. The star spangled banner claims that the USA is the land of the free and they have the highest incarceration rate in the world :wink:
:faf:

Colr
20-09-2014, 05:55 AM

Sod that! Football is all about tribalism and is ones only safe outlets.

That said, I would like to be able to see the Hibs more even if it was against Charlton.

Colr
20-09-2014, 06:03 AM
We are the first nation ( and a stress nation) ever to turn down the chance to be an independent country. We are the laughing stock of he world. The rest of the world cannot understand why we would do this????? At the next Scotland game how can we stand and sing an anthem '' Flower of Scotland'' when given the chance we said '' No Thanks'' Edinburgh our capital was a disgrace. Having said that went to Glasgow today to see the worst Unionist violence and bigotry I have ever seen in my life. Even worse than the Huns/Diet Huns coming to us. So in my opinion let us go back in our box become the North of Britain and sing God Save The Queen and live happily ever after. Just to bring it home to you NO voters you are now British First and Scotland 2nd. Make no mistake about that. So when someone asks you what are you ? you answer I'm British otherwise you are a hypocrite. :cb

The SDL violence in Glasgow is in no way a reflection of no voters and neither are your slurs on No voters who love Scotland enough to vote to protect it from the harm that would have been caused by separation. Many of them think devolution has been an enormous success and want to see reform but don't agree that political isolation is the solution. I didn't vote but I am both Scottish and British and would have hated to feel a foreigner in either Country on the back of Scottish independence. Not pleased with the result but relieved but the reforms now need to start and Scotland, having set the agenda admirably, needs to avoid it slipping from her grasp at this critical time.

lucky
20-09-2014, 07:01 AM
FFS. 45% of the population want to be completely separate countries - that does not in ANY way mean that 55% want to completely merge. Idiotic suggestion IMO

This should be the final comment on this. I understand some are bursting over a political democratic decision but no need to try and insult people with a petty and ill advised thread

Colr
20-09-2014, 07:11 AM
This should be the final comment on this. I understand some are bursting over a political democratic decision but no need to try and insult people with a petty and ill advised thread

Maybe move the thread?

ballengeich
20-09-2014, 07:40 AM
I empathise with how the OP is feeling. At the moment I wouldn't have any enthusiasm for a Scotland game and I've rarely missed a home game in decades. Once the dust has settled my feelings may well change.

I do think that Thursday's result will make it more likely that FIFA will ask the British countries to merge. If they'd done it before Thursday perhaps the result would have been different:greengrin. I don't want to see either the national teams or the leagues merge, but it could happen.

Ronniekirk
20-09-2014, 07:44 AM
The SDL violence in Glasgow is in no way a reflection of no voters and neither are your slurs on No voters who love Scotland enough to vote to protect it from the harm that would have been caused by separation. Many of them think devolution has been an enormous success and want to see reform but don't agree that political isolation is the solution. I didn't vote but I am both Scottish and British and would have hated to feel a foreigner in either Country on the back of Scottish independence. Not pleased with the result but relieved but the reforms now need to start and Scotland, having set the agenda admirably, needs to avoid it slipping from her grasp at this critical time.

Just happened to be in taxi going to a night out in Merchant City last night when it was all kicking off in George Square .The convoys of cars with union jacks and singing of RuleBritannia reminded me of being at Ibrox at start of Season ,and reminded me not to bother getting a ticket for next game the Atmosphere will be equally poisonous

Keith_M
20-09-2014, 07:50 AM
The SDL violence in Glasgow is in no way a reflection of no voters.........

Agreed.

T neither are your slurs on No voters who love Scotland enough to vote to protect it from the harm that would have been caused by separation......

Oops, you just ruined it there.

I am both Scottish and British

Not according to your Passport. It says Nationality: British.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the point of the OP. Maybe we could keep the 'Scotland' team but it's laughable to suggest we retain a Nation Anthem that says we can 'be the nation again'. --- 55% of the electorate rejected that, so we really need something a bit less hypocritical.

lucky
20-09-2014, 08:25 AM
The Flower of Scotland is a dire song. I'd much prefer Caledonian as our national anthem.

AgentDaleCooper
20-09-2014, 09:00 AM
The Flower of Scotland is a dire song. I'd much prefer Caledonian as our national anthem.

it should be highland cathedral, segueing into the epic bit from jurassic park. i swear to god, we would never loose or draw another game.

SunshineOnLeith
20-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I do think that Thursday's result will make it more likely that FIFA will ask the British countries to merge.

Not going to happen:

1) This is sport, not politics.
2) Gibraltar have a recognised team now.
4) What about the opinions of Wales, England and NI?
3) The home nations' FAs would just vote it down at IFAB anyway.

bod
20-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Think Scotland should merge with The the rangers instead. after all they keep telling us that
they are the people

Keith_M
20-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Actually, I agree that this thread is no longer about Football and I'm surprised it's still on the main board.

It's been taken over by total crazies with an axe to grind.............. like me.

:wink:

One Day Soon
20-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Jesus some folk need to get the bitterness out of their system.

I find it staggering how some of the people who were all for Indy a few days ago are now enthusiastically doing the talking Scotland down bit. Even the Tories after they lost the vote to set up the Scottish Parliament back in 1999 accepted the decision and got stuck in to trying to help make it work.

This line on merging into a UK football team is a pretty poorly disguised attempt to carrry on the political debate that's just finished in a 'hell mend you' kind of way. Utter utter pi5h.

John_the_angus_hibby
20-09-2014, 10:42 AM

We also did it in 1979 so there is a president. I see so many dummies bring spat out. It just demonstrates that British identity is still too strong. It will either be reinforced or continue to weaken and independence will come. Coming from the low 30%s did anyone really believe it would cross the line adding another 15-20% by waving flags, being cheery and denying risks? The fact that 45% voted for it was amazing. The Indy camp can now build on that. There are fundamentalists (now at any cost) and gradualists. The latter are winning.

Let's just get on with football.

For the record I am A British Scot, and proud of both. It's who I am and I don't apologise. However I am hugely pissed off with Westminster in terms ranging from social policy, justice and economics/industrial policy. Same starting point, different road.

John_the_angus_hibby
20-09-2014, 10:44 AM
And funnily enough I could never support a British football team, too English! Go figure.

Danderhall Hibs
20-09-2014, 11:49 AM
If I had known there was an option of a President (and no queen) I reckon I'd have been a yes.

ekhibee
20-09-2014, 01:31 PM
We also did it in 1979 so there is a president. I see so many dummies bring spat out. It just demonstrates that British identity is still too strong. It will either be reinforced or continue to weaken and independence will come. Coming from the low 30%s did anyone really believe it would cross the line adding another 15-20% by waving flags, being cheery and denying risks? The fact that 45% voted for it was amazing. The Indy camp can now build on that. There are fundamentalists (now at any cost) and gradualists. The latter are winning.

Let's just get on with football.

For the record I am A British Scot, and proud of both. It's who I am and I don't apologise. However I am hugely pissed off with Westminster in terms ranging from social policy, justice and economics/industrial policy. Same starting point, different road.

As far as integrating the Scotland team into a GB team is concerned, I think it will happen. I'm glad you are so optimistic, I, for the record, am not. I see no reason why there will be any steps taken towards home rule. The Westminster politicians have got what they wanted so nothing else needed. When Boris Johnson and Farage are running the UK it'll be interesting to see quite how British you feel then.

steakbake
20-09-2014, 01:41 PM
If I had known there was an option of a President (and no queen) I reckon I'd have been a yes.

:doh:

One of the green pledges that it will fight for in an iScotland.

Next time...

John_the_angus_hibby
20-09-2014, 01:48 PM
As far as integrating the Scotland team into a GB team is concerned, I think it will happen. I'm glad you are so optimistic, I, for the record, am not. I see no reason why there will be any steps taken towards home rule. The Westminster politicians have got what they wanted so nothing else needed. When Boris Johnson and Farage are running the UK it'll be interesting to see quite how British you feel then.

You are correct re a never of points and in terms of my position. I admit I have voted with my heart while my head is saying "one chance". But also though I love in Scotland I am as often in London as I am Glasgow and often in Germany and France with my teams. I bend more towards European Federal. Perversely this result may quicken a Britexit which is an anathema to me. ****ing politics.....

Still don't agree about losing the Scotland team.