PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup 2014

CyberSauzee
17-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Really looking forward to this. I think the price on an American win has been a tad too generous. It's starting to shrink a bit from around the 3.00 it was on Betfair, but still 2.80+ available. The last 2 have been very close and I'm expecting the same here.

Two years ago the US were the favorites before he start at around 8/11, Europe 6/4 with the tie the usual price of 10-12/1. I recall a lot of cash on Europe just before it started and they shortened a bit, but I think that's more of a patriotic thing before people sit down to watch it or attend. I'll expect the same this year; although USA have come in a bit, it's likely to go out again next week as he media coverage intensifies.

I think also with Tom Watson as captain the US team will have someone who the home crowd obviously respect, and think because of who Watson is it will filter through to genuine respect for the American players.

Another plus point is Tiger missing. Woods just pays lip service to the Ryder and President's Cups. He's said himself that when he finishes playing no-one will remember his Ryder Cup record, but everyone will remember his majors record. He's right, but that's not the ego or attitude you need in a team event. And the last time Woods was missing 6 years ago the USA were comfortable winners - but Europe did have Faldo as captain so that would have had something to do with the result.

I'll admit to slight US bias as I've been very fortunate to have been given 4 'US themed' tickets for all 3 practice and 3 match days, so I'll be treating Sergey and HibbyRadge (amongst others) to a trip to Gleneagles.

Sergey
17-09-2014, 08:55 PM
If our last trip is anything to go by - if your bowels start playing up again, you'll be walking to Scotland from Watford Gap Services.

Roughage isn't always a good thing.

CyberSauzee
20-09-2014, 08:50 AM
If our last trip is anything to go by - if your bowels start playing up again, you'll be walking to Scotland from Watford Gap Services.

Roughage isn't always a good thing.

Irrelevant and uncalled for! Let yer wind be free where'er ye be! Besides that was Steeroid. Any more slights on my good bowel movements and your tickets will be going on ebay :wink:

3pm
26-09-2014, 05:13 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

It's here!

ACLeith
26-09-2014, 06:43 AM
After all the hype we're off - with a duffed shot! Nice to see these superstars are really human!

Sylar
26-09-2014, 06:50 AM
I can see me seeking one of the team Europe jumpers :thumbsup:

Scottie
26-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I can see me seeking one of the team Europe jumpers :thumbsup:

Oh yes it looks the bussiness :agree:. :aok:

Sylar
26-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Stephen Gallacher is all over the place so far - must be very nervous!

Sylar
26-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Aside from Gallacher and Poulter, it's look OK for Europe so far this morning!

Wind picking up a bit now.

Sylar
26-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Rose/Stenson are romping their match - 4 up and dominant through 11.

By contrast, Poulter and Gallacher have been dreadful - 4 down and no birdies so far through 9.

Allant1981
26-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Rose/Stenson are romping their match - 4 up and dominant through 11.

By contrast, Poulter and Gallacher have been dreadful - 4 down and no birdies so far through 9.

Did stephen not birdie the 3rd?

Sylar
26-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Did steven not birdie the 3rd?

Willing to be corrected but I don't think so? Fairly sure he didn't manage any at all today?

Allant1981
26-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Willing to be corrected but I don't think so? Fairly sure he didn't manage any at all today?

Sjre they had 2 and im sure stevie got both, ill double check. Just a pity they played so badly

ACLeith
26-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Last game been so slow that Rory and Sergio will have to run straight to the 1st tee?

Pretty Boy
26-09-2014, 04:56 PM
What a putt by McIlroy.

Pretty Boy
26-09-2014, 04:57 PM
And then follows it with a horror of a tee shot.

Adrenaline at work I think.

Sylar
26-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Superb comeback to get a half out of that match! Now for Dubuisson and McDowell to hang on and get us to 5-3! :thumbsup:

Scottie
26-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Brave fightback this afternoon by the European team who were awesome :greengrin

Hopefully same tomorrow will take another 5-3 :aok:

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2014, 06:13 AM
Colin Montgomerie talking out his arse, saying he'd have played Gallagher instead of Poulter today. :confused: Christ i'd have hit more fairways than him yesterday, the occasion got to him more than any rookie i can remember?

It would have been a real mistake in my opinion to play him this morning, this is probably the session than should go a long way in hopefully winning it for us, and the pressure will be enormous for the players.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Colin Montgomerie talking out his arse, saying he'd have played Gallagher instead of Poulter today. :confused: Christ i'd have hit more fairways than him yesterday, the occasion got to him more than any rookie i can remember?

It would have been a real mistake in my opinion to play him this morning, this is probably the session than should go a long way in hopefully winning it for us, and the pressure will be enormous for the players.

I'd want to get him back out before the singles but probably better for him to play in the 4ball so his partner can carry him?

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2014, 06:40 AM
I'd want to get him back out before the singles but probably better for him to play in the 4ball so his partner can carry him?

Each to their own i suppose, but not for me. This is a tournament that i don't think we can carry anyone, its all about getting to 14 and a half points.

Let him make the winning put tomorrow.:wink:

Sylar
27-09-2014, 06:41 AM

That's what I'd expect :agree:

Fancy the Americans to be pumped up for this today - I'll go with 3.5-4.5

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Each to their own i suppose, but not for me. This is a tournament that i don't think we can carry anyone, its all about getting to 14 and a half points.

Let him make the winning put tomorrow.:wink:

It always comes down to the singles so he needs to get yesterday out if his system. Yesterday and today are just a warm up for tomorrow.

ACLeith
27-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Game 1 is simply beyond belief. Americans have been brilliant but beaten. Perhaps the best 4-ball match ever?

And this series may be the best scoring-wise? Privilege to watch regardless of the match score.

Speedy
27-09-2014, 12:03 PM
No Gallacher this afternoon.

Rose & Stenson split up as well.

BroxburnHibee
27-09-2014, 12:12 PM
No Gallacher this afternoon.

Rose & Stenson split up as well.

Stenson did pretty well with a sore back this morning. Was always likely to take a break.

Sylar
27-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Surprised Westwood and Donaldson have gone back out - they were pretty poor this morning.

Shame Stenson wasn't fit enough to go again - him and Rose were stellar this morning.

If we can split the afternoon session and start with 8 1/2 points tomorrow, I'd feel confident going into the singles.

Golden Bear
27-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I think we'll need to increase our slender 1 point advantage before tomorrow's singles.

There's a few our guys not exactly at the peak of their game and I suspect the USA will win the singles series.

Jim44
27-09-2014, 05:34 PM
It's looking good for us but I'm cringing at the 'experts' on Sportsound saying it's all over ; we can't possibly not win four points tomorrow ; Gallagher has to play first tomorrow to make him feel part of the rout. It's not inconceivable that the US could do what we did two years ago, so a bit of respect and humility would be in order.

Scottie
27-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It's looking good for us but I'm cringing at the 'experts' on Sportsound saying it's all over ; we can't possibly not win four points tomorrow ; Gallagher has to play first tomorrow to make him feel part of the rout. It's not inconceivable that the US could do what we did two years ago, so a bit of respect and humility would be in order.

:agree:

I worry for Stevie G tomorrow as he's been draw against Philly Mick
Maybe best time to play him though. All the best Stevie :aok:

Golden Bear
27-09-2014, 08:15 PM
The match could be all but finished after the first 4 singles tomorrow. Watson has gambled by playing his young guns at the start. Great if it works out for him, but he'll get crucified if it doesn't.

BroxburnHibee
27-09-2014, 08:30 PM
I think its 7.5 or 8 points to Europe in there.

Would love it if Poults sunk the winning putt.

My prediction............

GMac v Spieth - US win
Stenson v Reed - Europe win
Rory v Ricky - Half
Rose v Mahan - Half
Stevie G v Phil - US win
Kaymer v Watson - Half
Bjorn v Kuchar - US win
Garcia v Furyk - Europe win
Poults v Simpson - Europe win
Donaldson v Bradley - Europe win
Westwood v Walker - Europe win
Dubuisson v Johnson - Europe win

I was dubious about the Rose/Mahan match.

Come on Ian :thumbsup:

LALthehibeeGAL
27-09-2014, 11:52 PM
I love the Ryder Cup brings out the best and worst in so many but the team spirit is always there. I really felt Stevie G didn't really get the best of chances and think (well hope) he will get a half so these are my predictions but who knows - I was hoping for it to be closer going into last day say 8 - 8 or 9 -7 but hey ho. Bring it on. we are reminded that the previous two times when it was 10 - 6 going into the final day the team behind actually won! i.e 1999 and 2012.

Thoroughly enjoyed today great day for the sport despite who you support - I would like it to go close to take it to say the second last match even the last but not so sure what I don't want is it to be all over fairly soon - my predictions which are usually wrong (although I got 3 out of 4 correct for the majors two years running)

My prediction............

GMac v Spieth - half
Stenson v Reed - half
Rory v Ricky - Half
Rose v Mahan - Half
Stevie G v Phil - Half
Kaymer v Watson - Half
Bjorn v Kuchar - US win
Poults v Simpson - US win
Donaldson v Bradley - Europe win
Westwood v Walker - US win

Europe 6 - USA 6

Speedy
28-09-2014, 10:47 AM
GMac v Spieth - half
Stenson v Reed - US win
Rory v Ricky - Europe win
Rose v Mahan - Europe win
Stevie G v Phil - US win
Kaymer v Watson - US win
Bjorn v Kuchar - US win
Poults v Simpson - Europe win
Donaldson v Bradley - half
Westwood v Walker - Europe win

Europe 7 - 5 US

Scouse Hibee
28-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Great two opening points never doubted either of them to shine today. Rory destroyed Fowler with a masterclass.

Danderhall Hibs
28-09-2014, 04:45 PM
It's pointless playing on after the match is won isn't it?

Scouse Hibee
28-09-2014, 05:04 PM
It's pointless playing on after the match is won isn't it?

Playing for pride and making their own personal Ryder cup points tally.

Danderhall Hibs
28-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Playing for pride and making their own personal Ryder cup points tally.

I know but it's still pointless. No pressure on it anymore so it's not the same as winning a real point.

Scottie
28-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Magical.

Always great to spank the yanks. :greengrin