PDA

View Full Version : 9 years ago tonight, Dnipro home leg

.Sean.
16-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Mental to think it was as long ago as that. I was on the BBC coverage at half time scranning a pie :greengrin

First time I've seen the highlights since, we definitely could've beaten them that night. Sorry, dunno how to embed the video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPE16kOzF9I

Pretty Boy
16-09-2014, 05:31 PM
I remember leaving that game thinking we had found a keeper......

Remeber watching the 2nd leg with a group of 8 other Hibbies in one the student vars in Aberdeen. We had been drinking most of the day and went absolutely mental when Hibs equalised. Really thought we were going to do it that night but we got punished big time on the break late on.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Think we hit the post twice in the 1st leg, if my memory serves me right

Pretty Boy
16-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Goal disallowed at 2-1 or 3-1 in the 2nd leg as well I'm sure.

HibbyAndy
16-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Sproule and Broony.

Hermit Crab
16-09-2014, 05:44 PM
I remember leaving that game thinking we had found a keeper......

Remeber watching the 2nd leg with a group of 8 other Hibbies in one the student vars in Aberdeen. We had been drinking most of the day and went absolutely mental when Hibs equalised. Really thought we were going to do it that night but we got punished big time on the break late on.

Did we not score to make it 2-1? I was in the Ukraine pished out my nut and can't remember. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
16-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Sproule and Broony.

Just watched the clip, how Ivan's effort stayed out

Bobby's Cinema
16-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Just watched the clip, how Ivan's effort stayed out
I remember we thought it was in from the west. We thought the linesman had disallowed it for offside!

Broken Gnome
16-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Unlike certain other 5-1 doings, that away leg could've been so, so different. One minute in, one minute after the equaliser and one minute before half time. Dodgy goal ruled out, missed a sitter at 3-1, done on the break twice late on. Still rankles.

SteveHFC
16-09-2014, 06:45 PM
The away leg was class despite the result.

Anyone remember the plane getting delayed at the airport on the Thursday morning? :greengrin

iwasthere1972
16-09-2014, 07:19 PM
It wasn't long after we trounced the Huns 3-0 at Ibrox. Ivan Sproule.

Albanian Hibs
16-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Great trip!

Tricla
17-09-2014, 07:32 AM
How did Ivan's shot not go in?

Ronniekirk
17-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Sproule and Broony.
Did we not deploy browny as striker in first leg and his pace caused them all sorts of problems I remember his shot off the post but not sproule s

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Mental to think it was as long ago as that.

I'm going to Brussels at the end of the month for a wee w-end away and noticed we'll be there on the 22nd anniversary of the Anderlecht away leg, thats mental too!

PiemanP
17-09-2014, 08:12 AM
That was one of the best 0-0 games i've been to, great atmosphere too with Hibees on all 4 sides. We were very unlucky not to win that night. I remember being directly behind Ivan's shot in the FF and sat in amazement it didn't go in.

That Hibs team - Brown, Riordan, GoC, Murphy, Whittaker, Boozy, Sproule, Deano even Caldwell - was about as good as it got. What I would give to have a team like that again.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Great atmosphere that night. Think I would've been nine! I always remember I didn't want us to score because it would have been to loud :greengrin

sleeping giant
17-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Mental to think it was as long ago as that. I was on the BBC coverage at half time scranning a pie :greengrin

First time I've seen the highlights since, we definitely could've beaten them that night. Sorry, dunno how to embed the video.

Can't believe its been 9 years :no way:

How on earth did Sproules shot not go in ?

Hermit Crab
17-09-2014, 11:18 AM
The away leg was class despite the result.

Anyone remember the plane getting delayed at the airport on the Thursday morning? :greengrin

Aye steve. I was on that flight and we must have been in the airport bar for about 5 hours before we took off. I was blootered and it was my first time flying!!

Frazerbob
17-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm going to Brussels at the end of the month for a wee w-end away and noticed we'll be there on the 22nd anniversary of the Anderlecht away leg, thats mental too!

Jeepers, I feel old now, thanks!

My first football trip abroad, been hooked ever since!

frazeHFC
17-09-2014, 11:50 AM
How close was Sproule's shot!! Can't remember the game at all, don't even know if I was there but guessing I was. Would do anything for another big European night....

Billy McKirdy
17-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Aye steve. I was on that flight and we must have been in the airport bar for about 5 hours before we took off. I was blootered and it was my first time flying!!

I'm sure the terorist attacks at the World Trade Centre was to blame, was the second leg delayed because of it? I'm sure I remember it was postponed for a week, correct me if I'm wrong, when the second leg actually started I remember we scored to equalise therefore going ahead on away goals...then it all went Pete Tong..

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm sure the terorist attacks at the World Trade Centre was to blame, was the second leg delayed because of it? I'm sure I remember it was postponed for a week, correct me if I'm wrong, when the second leg actually started I remember we scored to equalise therefore going ahead on away goals...then it all went Pete Tong..

that was the AEK Athens tie

silverhibee
17-09-2014, 12:22 PM

Should have started Riordan for the first leg.

SaulGoodman
17-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Here, how did Sproules shot not go in?

silverhibee
17-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Here, how did Sproules shot not go in?

It hit the post, that's how. :greengrin

hibs4thecup1988
17-09-2014, 01:25 PM

You have got part right part wrong...

The run way situation was before the AEK Athens.

We did however equalise against Dnipro away, something telling me Riordan scored? I could be wrong with that though

CraigHibee
17-09-2014, 01:28 PM

doesn't feel that long ago! scary, and yeah io agree, we shoudl have beaten them, i can mind ivans shot coming off the post

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Jeepers, I feel old now, thanks!

My first football trip abroad, been hooked ever since!

Its more than half my life ago! mental! :-)

HH81
17-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Did someone not hit post towards south stand? I remember a shot that did but i was a little drunk.

SteveHFC
17-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Remember my head teacher wouldn't give me the time off for it. Hearts ****.

Still went:D

Nameless
17-09-2014, 03:39 PM
9 years!! That makes me feel old. I was 22, and enjoying the best 3 or 4 years I'd ever experienced as a hibby. Drank more than my body weight before the first leg - no idea how I managed to stay upright for the full 90.....ah to be young and in love with Hibs...

Pretty Boy
17-09-2014, 04:28 PM
9 years!! That makes me feel old. I was 22, and enjoying the best 3 or 4 years I'd ever experienced as a hibby. Drank more than my body weight before the first leg - no idea how I managed to stay upright for the full 90.....ah to be young and in love with Hibs...

Same for me. I was 19 when the Dnipro game was played and those seasons from being 18 to 23 were magic. Following Hibs all over from Aberdeen with 4 of my mates. Trains, buses and hire cars to watch a team play with swagger and turn up at places like Ibrox and Celtic Park almost expecting to win.

Good times.

Itsnoteasy
17-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Great atmosphere that night. Think I would've been nine! I always remember I didn't want us to score because it would have been to loud :greengrin

Yes atmosphere was great. But it will be hard to top the AEK atmosphere that was unbelievable. I was in Dnipro for the away leg. Got to be one of the poorest places ever visited. Airport was in the middle of nowhere, there was local kids wanting anything you had on you, but in a nice way.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Yes atmosphere was great. But it will be hard to top the AEK atmosphere that was unbelievable. I was in Dnipro for the away leg. Got to be one of the poorest places ever visited. Airport was in the middle of nowhere, there was local kids wanting anything you had on you, but in a nice way.

A wee lassie in the main square was running about looking for things to be written in English in a jotter she had so that she could show her teacher the next day at school, some of the filth written in it was a disgrace. Apart from that the trip was amazing!

HibbyAndy
19-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Same for me. I was 19 when the Dnipro game was played and those seasons from being 18 to 23 were magic. Following Hibs all over from Aberdeen with 4 of my mates. Trains, buses and hire cars to watch a team play with swagger and turn up at places like Ibrox and Celtic Park almost expecting to win.

Good times.

So true guys, Followed hibs home and away from 2005/2010..Expecting us to win whoever we played, I was truly in love with Hibs in they days, They were my life , I lived and breathed hibs for so many years.. Best years of my life that's for sure.

How the hell has it been allowed to go so terribly wrong.