PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cummings will stay as Hibs' super sub

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-09-2014, 04:42 PM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jason-cummings-will-stay-as-hibs-super-sub-1-3542850

3pm
16-09-2014, 05:03 PM
He sees them every day but I can't see how you can't give the guy a shot if he makes an impact each game.

Alex Trager
16-09-2014, 05:37 PM
He is also one of the first and only ones to take a chance from nout

yogi_campfire
16-09-2014, 05:48 PM
It's a wise move. Butcher threw him in last season and I'm not convinced he was ready. Why not let him develop and get some game time off the bench rather than just throwing him In for us all to winge about him - inevitable if you ever sit and listen to the nonsense in Easter Road - if he doesn't quite do it week to week at 19 year old?

I think he looks like he has a bit about him but it would be good to see some care taking in developing his ability rather than a crash and burn.

Bobby's Cinema
16-09-2014, 05:56 PM
It's a wise move. Butcher threw him in last season and I'm not convinced he was ready. Why not let him develop and get some game time off the bench rather than just throwing him In for us all to winge about him - inevitable if you ever sit and listen to the nonsense in Easter Road - if he doesn't quite do it week to week at 19 year old?

I think he looks like he has a bit about him but it would be good to see some care taking in developing his ability rather than a crash and burn.
I agree to an extent, but if it means Heffernan upfront, we have it hard enough without leaving our better players on the bench. Now, in the championship, is the BEST possible time to give him his chance. Now is the time to build something.

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Can't keep relying on comebacks though, need to get it right from the off against so called lesser opposition.

TheFamous1875
16-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Can't keep relying on comebacks though, need to get it right from the off against so called lesser opposition.

True, but we should always have options. We should always be able to change a game if needed, and, in a league like this, we should be routing teams 3/4-0 in the first 60 mins and then bringing on youths and blooding them in with no pressure. That's what we all really want. I'm glad Stubbs is taking a lot of care into Cumming's development - who knows where Harris (or, in retrospect, David Wotherspoon) would be if he was awarded the same protection.

neil7908
16-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Much rather see Cummings start than Heff. Unless Sinclair is a revelation then I'd rather see Cummings get a shot, we need to give our own young players a chance.

MyJo
16-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Sorry but Heffernan up front on his own is not the answer. Not only did cummings score at the weekend but he held the ball up and battled the Cowden defenders very well and brought his team-mates into play much more than heffernan did.

I'd rather we started with Cummings and score a couple of goals before him being subbed that sticking him on at the end (15 minutes later than i would have had him on) to rescue the game.

Jonnyboy
16-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Sorry but Heffernan up front on his own is not the answer. Not only did cummings score at the weekend but he held the ball up and battled the Cowden defenders very well and brought his team-mates into play much more than heffernan did.

I'd rather we started with Cummings and score a couple of goals before him being subbed that sticking him on at the end (15 minutes later than i would have had him on) to rescue the game.

:agree:

snooky
16-09-2014, 09:05 PM
:agree:

"If you're good enough, you're old enough" - Matt Busby

J-C
17-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Look what happened to Harris and to a lesser extent Stanton, put too much pressure on these young lads before they're ready for it and it could backfire.

lord bunberry
17-09-2014, 08:00 AM
If he keeps coming off the bench and scoring then he will have to start him, we can't afford to have a goalscorer fit but not playing

Keith_M
17-09-2014, 08:30 AM

I always thought that was a Graham Rix quote.

:dunno:

Paloschi
17-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Yeah.

Lets keep the best finisher at the club and our top goal threat on the bench so that Heffernan can start. :rolleyes:

We should be winning games by half time in this league no hoping Cummings can come on and score late on :confused:

IanM
17-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Yeah.

Lets keep the best finisher at the club and our top goal threat on the bench so that Heffernan can start. :rolleyes:

We should be winning games by half time in this league no hoping Cummings can come on and score late on :confused:

I really hope he doesn't.. hopefully start with Malonga up front on Saturday.. if he can get a good 45 and Cummings the second 45 I'd be happy with that..

jacomo
17-09-2014, 02:10 PM
I can't quite work out why Stubbs said this. Maybe he is trying to take the pressure off his shoulders, as has been said here, because you'd think he'd want Cummings chomping at the bit for a starting berth? :confused:

Crops73
17-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Aye.

But is he THAT good?

ancient hibee
17-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Aye.

But is he THAT good?

He's maybe not but defences are so poor at this level(look at ours)it may be better to give him the place-at least he looks enthusiastic.

Blaster
17-09-2014, 07:10 PM
I really hope he doesn't.. hopefully start with Malonga up front on Saturday.. if he can get a good 45 and Cummings the second 45 I'd be happy with that..

Malonga is not fit enough to start. We need to be patient while he gets his fitness up. If we try to hurry him to start games big risk of him picking up an injury.

Not ideal but that's where he is fitness wise

Unseen work
17-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Based on this season the only youngster I see ahead of him is Danny, so I don't see how he can justify starting Stanton and Harris and having Cummings on the bench saying he's not ready as them 2 have been poor IMO.

Ronniekirk
18-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Based on this season the only youngster I see ahead of him is Danny, so I don't see how he can justify starting Stanton and Harris and having Cummings on the bench saying he's not ready as them 2 have been poor IMO.
Harris didn't come on on Saturday and got run out for under 20 s and by all accounts probably didn't do enough to force his way back into starting line up for queen of the south .
Stanton I agree hasn't been consistent enough but playing out wide does him no favours .However he looks out of sorts ,and I thought he would of kicked on in this league .Still young player
so you expect inconsistency but at times I don't feel he has shown that same spark that earned him his new contract but the goal v Dumbarton shows what he is capable of and I thought he would nudge towards double figures in terms of goals scored this season .

SanFranHibs
18-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Have to disagree. If he is not ready in the Championship I doubt very much he will ever be good enough!

But that said, I actually have confidence in him and think he should get an extended run as a starter. And it's not as if he is coming on and banging in golas every week.

Give the lad a real chance. A good few games as a starter. That is how you make the next grade. You get in and play. Not as if he is only 16 or 17. He has been around the first team long enough now!

I think Super Sub is somewhat flattering.

PeterboroHibee
18-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Not sure I really agree with Stubbs on this one. I think Cummings definitely needs to be managed so he doesnt become burnt out (so maybe not starting every week/playing full games), but none of the other strikers have put in a proper case for him not starting on Saturday.

Heff and Handling dont really offer us any threat in front of goal, El Alagui is injured, and Sinclair is just a young guy as well. I imagine at the moment Malonga will be first choice, and scoring a penalty is a good start, but hes a bit of an unknown quality at the moment in terms of what he will bring to Hibs.

Ronniekirk
18-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Have to disagree. If he is not ready in the Championship I doubt very much he will ever be good enough!

But that said, I actually have confidence in him and think he should get an extended run as a starter. And it's not as if he is coming on and banging in golas every week.

Give the lad a real chance. A good few games as a starter. That is how you make the next grade. Youi get in and play. Not as if he is only 16 or 17. He has been around the first team long enough now!

I think Super Sub is somewhat flattering.
He isn't ready physically to play 90 minutes week in week out I don't think but that will come Agree he should be getting more game time than he is though .dont know if he played whole game versus Motherwell under 20 s but if he came off early could indicate he will get a start and he scored our only goal so on that basis he is our in form Stiker at moment .
Malonga isn't match fit and Stubbs may not want to risk him on artificial pitch for London period so I expect him to make use of all subs in this one and Malonga Sinclair and Cummings will all get game time I think
Hanlon is just back so there has to be a concer whether he will physically cope on artificial pitch
some key decisions for Stubbs to make this weekend as we really need to show we can win back to back games and at this stage I don't care how we do it but a win is essential We don't want to have lost to our four main challengers for top four ( hear7s,The Rangers ,Falkirk and Q of the S ) within the first ten games .

SMAXXA
18-09-2014, 08:15 AM
I was thinking about this last night referring to our 7 strikers -

Allen - Young and not ready
handling - Not good enough as a striker imo
heff - best days are gone, no for me
farid - first name on the team sheet but out for months

leaves -

malonga
sinclair
Cummings

I wouldn't read too much into the super sub comment, if we go with 1 up top it will be malonga, if we go 2 well it's a straight fight with sinky and Jason IMO.

hence the need for Griffith's :-)

calumhibee1
18-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Cummings should be starting. If we were still in the SPL then we'd have been POSSIBLY looking to loan him out to the Championship to gain experience. As it goes, we're in the Championship, and he's more than capable of playing at this level.

J-C
18-09-2014, 09:11 AM
I was thinking about this last night referring to our 7 strikers -

Allen - Young and not ready
handling - Not good enough as a striker imo
heff - best days are gone, no for me
farid - first name on the team sheet but out for months

leaves -

malonga
sinclair
Cummings

I wouldn't read too much into the super sub comment, if we go with 1 up top it will be malonga, if we go 2 well it's a straight fight with sinky and Jason IMO.

hence the need for Griffith's :-)

Pretty sure these guys are classed as attacking midfielders/strikers not really out and out strikers but can play there if needed, in fact Sinclair played wide right last week.

silverhibee
18-09-2014, 10:19 AM
If he keeps coming off the bench and scoring then he will have to start him, we can't afford to have a goalscorer fit but not playing

He will start on Saturday. imo

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Pretty sure these guys are classed as attacking midfielders/strikers not really out and out strikers but can play there if needed, in fact Sinclair played wide right last week.

Malonga is an out and out striker.

J-C
18-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Malonga is an out and out striker.

Either way we have Heff who is useless and 2 young lads still growing as seniors, still all ifs and buts though.

lord bunberry
18-09-2014, 12:59 PM
He will start on Saturday. imo

He should start