PDA

View Full Version : Good trades to learn?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Really want to learn a trade but unsure of what to do. Anyone one here a tradesman that could recommend anything to me? I've had a go of plumbing and really liked it. Always wanted to try plastering for some reason. But I'm open to everything.

Cheers guys.

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Served my time as a joiner, though not on the tools now.

Peevemor
16-09-2014, 07:08 PM
All trades are good trades. Brickies and roofers are more at the mercy of the weather than most others. Plasterers and painters can often end up being rushed at the tail end of a job where other trades have fallen behind but the completion date remains the same. If I had to make a choice I'd go for being a joiner. My dad was a shopfitter (or shoplifter as I said when I was wee) and that's pretty cool too, although everything is against the clock.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Never had a go at it myself, how about prostitution though?

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Stand outside the bbc building in London, you'll be fine. ;-)

.Sean.
17-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Spark.

Pissed me off daily but there's plenty work and it pays well.

Hibee87
18-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I served as a mechanic and loved it, but the thing you want to grt into is computers.

If your computer savvy id look at an it infrastructure apprenticeship, once served therebis a lot of money to be maid.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I served as a mechanic and loved it, but the thing you want to grt into is computers.

If your computer savvy id look at an it infrastructure apprenticeship, once served therebis a lot of money to be maid.

Yeah. To be honest, I'd be really interested in an office job doing basic admin etc. The only thing is, I don't have any admin experience but feel as if I could learn quickly.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Yeah. To be honest, I'd be really interested in an office job doing basic admin etc. The only thing is, I don't have any admin experience but feel as if I could learn quickly.
An office job doing basic admin! You said in your op that you wanted to learn a trade which is it trade or admin job?

snooky
18-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Get into the funeral business, laddie - the baby boomers are starting to drop off the cliff like lemmings.
Seriously!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-09-2014, 02:03 AM
An office job doing basic admin! You said in your op that you wanted to learn a trade which is it trade or admin job?

Prefer a trade obviously, but the guy suggested computers... Which may be an option.

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Have you approached the CITB that's how I started. Good place to look mate.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Never had a go at it myself, how about prostitution though?

The apprentice years apparently are the best paid.

Hibee87
19-09-2014, 12:25 PM

You need to think about what you want. office admin will get you in the door of an office, but if its a hands on techy job It Infrastructure apprenticeship is good to get. Failing that if your interested in fixing computers 1st line support is a good stepping stone, most places will take you on with no experience and train you on the job. Once your in a service desk (resetting passwords and basic trouble shooting to start with) you can climb pretty quickly. If you also lucky to have your work put you through courses ITIL and six sigma are good to have, it can open many doors into mangement, team leader, problem management type roles etc

I started with a company doing new user requests/It procurement called Atos Origin, decent company to work for but based in livingston.

I get emails daily about these types of jobs so will ping you a PM later on when i get a sec of some things that might interest you :aok:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-09-2014, 03:17 PM
You need to think about what you want. office admin will get you in the door of an office, but if its a hands on techy job It Infrastructure apprenticeship is good to get. Failing that if your interested in fixing computers 1st line support is a good stepping stone, most places will take you on with no experience and train you on the job. Once your in a service desk (resetting passwords and basic trouble shooting to start with) you can climb pretty quickly. If you also lucky to have your work put you through courses ITIL and six sigma are good to have, it can open many doors into mangement, team leader, problem management type roles etc

I started with a company doing new user requests/It procurement called Atos Origin, decent company to work for but based in livingston.

I get emails daily about these types of jobs so will ping you a PM later on when i get a sec of some things that might interest you :aok:

Cheers mate. Top man, greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
10-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Cheers mate. Top man, greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Have you had any success?

hibby19
13-10-2014, 09:00 PM
If you're looking at more practical trades then Scottish Power are taking applications for craft apprentices. I'm currently in my first year with them and I'm loving it.