PDA

View Full Version : How Global Are Hibs Fans?

Green Diet
16-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I was just wandering how far and wide Hibs expat fans are spread across the world that, despite the georgraphy, still follow every kick of every game. I'm based in Dunedin, New Zealand - 11681 miles - and have supported hibs since 1982 as a 12 year old lad. My kibs both wear hibs tops and our car plate is HIBS. Just recently I have come across this website, and now rely upon it for keeping in touch with what's happening to our beloved club. It is really refreshing to read posts from real Hibs fans. There's no hiding the fact we are struggling through a tough time but it's helpful to share our concerns for the club. This website is a credit to the club and to its fantastic supporters. GGTTH

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag::flag:

SanFranHibs
16-09-2014, 08:12 AM
I was just wandering how far and wide Hibs expat fans are spread across the world that, despite the georgraphy, still follow every kick of every game. I'm based in Dunedin, New Zealand - 11681 miles - and have supported hibs since 1982 as a 12 year old lad. My kibs both wear hibs tops and our car plate is HIBS. Just recently I have come across this website, and now rely upon it for keeping in touch with what's happening to our beloved club. It is really refreshing to read posts from real Hibs fans. There's no hiding the fact we are struggling through a tough time but it's helpful to share our concerns for the club. This website is a credit to the club and to its fantastic supporters. GGTTH

Looks like your support is flagging now though!

California-Hibs
16-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Sacramento California. Been living here for 2 years now, got married to an American girl and moved across the pond. Before married life she was briefed on the Hibees though and what marrying me would entail, ie on Hibs.net every 2 minutes and up at a ridiculous time on a Saturday to watch/listen to the games!

The result has been pleasing, she turned into a big Hibby herself! Past 2 years we've both had the tops, scarfs etc bought and shipped over from the club store, and it was only a few months into me moving here that she started getting up to watch the games with me....sometimes even shouting more than me!

I echo the joy of having this site to keep up to date withal things Hibs.

Also the Hibs TV service which shows the home games (well, it did last season...this seasons delay is killing me!!)

Berwickhibby
16-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Moved to St Pauls Bay Malta July last year

Iain G
16-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Welcome to the random selection of Kiwi supporters.

Been in Wellington 7 years now :greengrin

matty_f
16-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Dunfermline ya bass!!

Theinsider
16-09-2014, 08:56 AM
South East Spain. Oh and the North Sea.:flag:

Slicer
16-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Followed Hibs home and away until I went travelling (initially for one year, still renewed my season ticket). Living in Darwin, Australia now. Subscribing to HibsTV for my fix these days.

Been to the Australia and NZ Hibernian Supporters' Burns Supper in the last two years. Great nights and good to catch up with genuine Hibs folk out here.

Met a couple of guys in Singapore airport going home for a certain final in 2012. Seemingly 15 guys were making the journey home just from Perth, Australia.

One Scottish Cup final in 26 years, then 2 when I move half way round the world! :rolleyes:

Far and wide :gwa:

TRC
16-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Grängesberg Sweden not to far but not had the opportunity to go back yet!

zero-seven
16-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Canberra Australia via Christchurch New Zealand. 53 years of pain. But I did get to see Turnbullls tornados, George Best, joe baker et al. I deserve so much more than this crap we are being fed.

woody0-7
16-09-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm still a homeboy but work away, I was working in Singapore and there is an Irish bar on orchard road just opposite the towers that has a hibs following a full wall of loads of hibs stuff and the team that plays from the pub is called the Hibernians

scott7_0(Prague)
16-09-2014, 09:18 AM
At least 4 Hibby's here in Prague...

FranckSuzy
16-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Followed Hibs home and away until I went travelling (initially for one year, still renewed my season ticket). Living in Darwin, Australia now. Subscribing to HibsTV for my fix these days.

Been to the Australia and NZ Hibernian Supporters' Burns Supper in the last two years. Great nights and good to catch up with genuine Hibs folk out here.

Met a couple of guys in Singapore airport going home for a certain final in 2012. Seemingly 15 guys were making the journey home just from Perth, Australia.

One Scottish Cup final in 26 years, then 2 when I move half way round the world! :rolleyes:

Far and wide :gwa:

My big bro', John, helps organise those :greengrin and he was one of the guys who came home from Oz (Melbourne) in 2012......:rolleyes:

drumatic44
16-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Deux Sevres, West Central , France. Allez les Vertes Originales !!

Auckland Hibs
16-09-2014, 09:42 AM
There's a few of us in Auckland, have organised a few gatherings for the bigger games - the last two SC Finals saw a pretty good turnout with 20-25 Hibees from around the North Island (shame about the results :rolleyes:)

hibeeleicester
16-09-2014, 10:17 AM
There's was couple of us down in Peterborough.

HoboHarry
16-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Kansas City on the Missouri side for me.....

Keith_M
16-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Currently Munich and have also lived in Vienna

Each time I felt I was the only Hibby in town, which makes me feel a bit special :wink:

MontrealHibs
16-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Je vis à Montréal, Québec ... pas encore trouvé d'autres fans Hibernian !

Shearer
16-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Perth, WA. Been in Oz 2 years and went to the last 2 Aus & NZ supporters burns' suppers in Melbourne, both great nights!!

MSK
16-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Je vis à Montréal, Québec ... pas encore trouvé d'autres fans Hibernian !My late Gran was born in Montreal ...:thumbsup:

Peevemor
16-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Been in Brittany for almost 10 years. Haven't met any other Hibees but then again I don't make any effort to mix with other expats (quite the opposite in fact).

Je vis à Montréal, Québec ... pas encore trouvé d'autres fans Hibernian !

What sort of coverage is the independence thing getting across there?

duffers
16-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Currently Munich and have also lived in Vienna

Each time I felt I was the only Hibby in town, which makes me feel a bit special :wink:

The bit in bold means nothing to me :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
16-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Couple of Hibees in São Paulo.
And Hibs-lister Andrea Favelli is in Torino? Is my understanding.
Stacks down in London and that was where I found how big this club is folks travelling from Dover for a meeting and Pat and Alex used to be up for every game home and away - I salute you all boys and girls!!!

Keith_M
16-09-2014, 11:41 AM
The bit in bold means nothing to me :greengrin

Honestly, I have heard it aaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll before

:wink:

Iain G
16-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Honestly, I have heard it aaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll before

:wink:

I hear they have a little Midge problem there? ;-)

Keith_M
16-09-2014, 11:49 AM

It's Goodnight Vienna!

SteveHFC
16-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Dalkeith ya bass!!

The Gorf
16-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Ure right

edinburghhibee
16-09-2014, 01:17 PM
I stayed in goteborg, Sweden for a year and came home regularly for hibs games. Was in a bar in goteborg after an IFK V Gais game in 2007 a short time after we had won the cup. Some boy came in looking to kick our heads in by the sound of him. He thought me and my mates were IFK hooligans until I told him I'm a hibs fan. Turned out he also supported hibs and had been to the final that year.

Guy turned out to be a good lad and sat with us for a while having a drink and chatting about the hibs.

Oh and someone stole my hibs top in a remote island in Thailand went into my tent while I was at a party and it's the only thing they stole.

Classy thief if that's possible!!! :D

Lucius Apuleius
16-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm still a homeboy but work away, I was working in Singapore and there is an Irish bar on orchard road just opposite the towers that has a hibs following a full wall of loads of hibs stuff and the team that plays from the pub is called the Hibernians

Muddys I presume? Many a good night in there. Many more in the Towers right enough! :greengrin Four floors of ******. Sportsman bar across Orchard Road in the Far East Plaza has or at least had one of my Hib's strips on the wall even though it was home to the Singapore rangers Supporters Club.

woody0-7
16-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Muddys I presume? Many a good night in there. Many more in the Towers right enough! :greengrin Four floors of ******. Sportsman bar across Orchard Road in the Far East Plaza has or at least had one of my Hib's strips on the wall even though it was home to the Singapore rangers Supporters Club.

Really not sure of the name of the place you sound like you know the place a little better than me but I have had a good cpl off nights out in the towers!done a cracking Irish breaky aswell

Phil MaGlass
16-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I am in Russia at the moment, although I live in Holland....

RamblingJack
16-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Been in Denia Spain for 4 years now

SJNB Hibby
16-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Been in Rothesay Canada now for(Bloody hell) 40 years.
Been gone from Edinburgh since '63, so never saw too many games, and aside from Dryburgh Cup matches, never saw them win. Then after a 20+ year absence saw the Motherwell 6-1 game, and about 6-7 more since
Wife will never be as nuts as me---she hates sport in general, but we do have a wee Hibs Christmas tree every year, and assorted Hibs stickers all over the car, and cycling and walking in any one of my dozen Hibs shirts. Once in a blue moon somebody recognises it.
TV coverage here means I can see more games now than ever before:rolleyes:

Salisbury Hibby
16-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Good to hear that there are a few Hibs fans co-located in some far off places. I live in Wiltshire and don't know any other Hibs fans down here. I have a neighbour who is a Celtic fan but he gets on ma tits.

Swedish hibee
16-09-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm up in Ostersund in Nothern Sweden. Came to work nearby and that was it, this is the life for me! Miss a Saturday at ER like crazy, I know you all moan about it but it's not the same listening/watching online.
I go watch Ostersunds FK home games, we have an English manager and we're getting there- tier 2 now!

FranckSuzy
16-09-2014, 07:50 PM

:brickwall :devil:

H18Y GW
16-09-2014, 08:19 PM
At least 4 Hibby's here in Prague...

Do they all have **** phones :wink:

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Warsaw, poland

Lucius Apuleius
16-09-2014, 09:32 PM
:brickwall :devil:

Dammed predictive text! Hibs'. :-)

BoltonHibee
16-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Lancashire Hibs ya bas!

Bay Area Hibees
17-09-2014, 12:07 AM
San Francisco. Moved here 9 years ago, now married to American lass.
Was back at dumbarton game the other week with my wife.
Says she's never heard such creative use of swearing.

WellingtonHibby
17-09-2014, 12:14 AM

Wellington - a good six or seven of us here. Previously of Melbourne where there is a pretty decent squad too.

PS. I saw your car last Weekend!!!

WellingtonHibby
17-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Hiya Paul!

Perth, WA. Been in Oz 2 years and went to the last 2 Aus & NZ supporters burns' suppers in Melbourne, both great nights!!

StokePogesHibs
17-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Add 5 of us in Fayetteville, Arkansas USA

Septimus
17-09-2014, 04:19 AM
Paphos Cyprus for twenty years plus. Sit in the sun and remember days of glory and wish that Hibs TV would extract the digit.

GreenLake
17-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Moved away from Scotland as a teen. Have lived in a few countries and visited over 50 others in my travels but currently stay in Los Angeles. I plan to live in a few more countries and visit dozens more before I check into a home for the aged. I've met quite a few Hibbies on my travels but never a jambo. I put that down to the expense of them needing to pay for two adjacent seats on flights.

jon paul jones
17-09-2014, 06:23 AM
I'm currently residing in the 16th state of the USA, Tennessee. Just leaving Nashville :cb on my bicycle heading east towards the Atlantic Ocean. 4.5 months is a long time away from ER. Those ***** were still in the top division with 2 league games to go when I left to go travelling.....rant over!!!

Shearer
17-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Hiya Paul!

How's it going! Jamie I presume? ha. Looking forward to the next Burns Supper already, roll on January!

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Paphos Cyprus for twenty years plus. Sit in the sun and remember days of glory and wish that Hibs TV would extract the digit.

Is Gordon Rae still in Cyprus?

Slicer
17-09-2014, 08:33 AM
My big bro', John, helps organise those :greengrin and he was one of the guys who came home from Oz (Melbourne) in 2012......:rolleyes:

And a good night he organises :aok:

FranckSuzy
17-09-2014, 09:43 AM
And a good night he organises :aok:

Cheers :aok: 150 Hibby's at the last one according to him, but then he does likes a splaff :greengrin

ontario hibby
17-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Been in London ontario since 2007 50 years a hibby this year :agree:

HibeesLA
17-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Moved away from Scotland as a teen. Have lived in a few countries and visited over 50 others in my travels but currently stay in Los Angeles. I plan to live in a few more countries and visit dozens more before I check into a home for the aged. I've met quite a few Hibbies on my travels but never a jambo. I put that down to the expense of them needing to pay for two adjacent seats on flights.

Santa Monica, CA. Been here 16 years and have 2 kids (14 and 11) that have been brought up everything green. Play football with a couple of Celtic guys from Glasgow. I've managed 3 cup finals in that time, and a couple of games if I manage to get back to the UK for work during the season. Wife is uh... 'supportive' I guess of the affliction, and has accommodated much shouting at 4am games from time to time.

Other than GreenLake, I'm sure I saw a couple of other people in/near LA.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Santa Monica, CA. Been here 16 years and have 2 kids (14 and 11) that have been brought up everything green. Play football with a couple of Celtic guys from Glasgow. I've managed 3 cup finals in that time, and a couple of games if I manage to get back to the UK for work during the season. Wife is uh... 'supportive' I guess of the affliction, and has accommodated much shouting at 4am games from time to time.

Ever bump into John "HTH" Inglis?

Forza Fred
17-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Lancashire Hibs ya bas!

But a revered former member of the Oz branch it must be said........

Forza Fred
17-09-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty Global.

In fact I'm so global currently that yesterday in the office I bent down to pick up a file and my pants burst,

Had to get the missus to drive from one end of Sydney to the other to pick me up.

And she went GLOBAL about that, I can tell you!

FranckSuzy
17-09-2014, 08:51 PM
But a revered former member of the Oz branch it must be said........

Aye, and couldnae make it over from Glasgae to see you last year :tee hee:

Soldiersteve
17-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Northern Ireland, Hong Kong, Falkland Islands, Germany, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, England and Jamaica - where some a***hole nicked my Hibs top!

HoboHarry
17-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Was there on business about a month ago and thought highly of the place :)

GreenLake
18-09-2014, 12:21 AM

I lived near Oxnard for years but moved into LA January, just along the road near the end of the Marina peninsula where I live a quiet and peaceful life. :wink:

I saw three cup finals since leaving home too but all before moving to the US. We won one and lost two. Love watching Hibs live early morning and eff and sea during the game but try not to wake up my wife as we soon start losing goals and playing shyghte when she is awake.

cjward2
18-09-2014, 02:48 AM
Have lived on the Canadian prairie for 22 years. Living in Taber, Alberta, the corn capital of Canada. One Hibby, one Hun and a sheep fan is what we have for expat football fans, and a lot of locals who follow the English game. But not me:flag:

La Machine Vert
18-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Have lived on the Canadian prairie for 22 years. Living in Taber, Alberta, the corn capital of Canada. One Hibby, one Hun and a sheep fan is what we have for expat football fans, and a lot of locals who follow the English game. But not me:flag:

Been In Calgary (off and on) since 2000. There's me and my uncle Ross plus "Calgary Hibs" Ken as well as Tommy Clarkson.
There might be a couple more...I hope!

Met some other Hibees at a Proclaimers gig a few years back which was great.

Any other Calgary or Canuck Hibees give me a shout!

Cheers'
Dave

mikewynne
18-09-2014, 05:47 AM
Berkeley, San Francisco Bay Area, been here 7 yrs since marrying a local.

Bristolhibby
18-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Good to hear that there are a few Hibs fans co-located in some far off places. I live in Wiltshire and don't know any other Hibs fans down here. I have a neighbour who is a Celtic fan but he gets on ma tits.

Chippenham in Wiltshire for me. Been here 10 years. Previous to that I lives in Bath since 1989 when my Dads job moved us all down South. Obviously my Dad Bathhibby still lives in Bath.

J

wandering_hibee
18-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Only as far as Portknockie on the Moray coast, but the 4 hour drive to Edinburgh can make feel like thousands of miles away.

GreenLake
18-09-2014, 06:04 AM

Are you allowed to call someone a local in SFBA? I thought it might be politically incorrect. Isn't she a Demographic American? :greengrin

SaudiHibby
18-09-2014, 07:12 AM
Work in Saudi Arabia, live in Bahrain and my permanent residence is now Praia da Luz in Portugal. Muddy Murphy's has closed down for those Singaporean ex- expats.

Keith_M
18-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Only as far as Portknockie on the Moray coast, but the 4 hour drive to Edinburgh can make feel like thousands of miles away.

As we've now got Easyjet Flights to Edinburgh, I can probably get to ER quicker than you, so that's a fair comment.

:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
18-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Work in Saudi Arabia, live in Bahrain and my permanent residence is now Praia da Luz in Portugal. Muddy Murphy's has closed down for those Singaporean ex- expats.

Booooooooooooooo! The Sportsman was better anyway. :-). However I am not sure if that is still going as the guy who owned it sadly passed away a few years ago. Met Brummie in there a few years ago. Totally slung my anchor now though. Home sweet home forever.

edinburghhibee
18-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Beautiful part of the country. Was up there in April for a week. We stayed in the cottages above the harbour, sea breeze or something. Weather was smashing and all 20 odd of us had a great time we have already booked up for next year!

HibeesLA
18-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Ever bump into John "HTH" Inglis?

My mother in law used to live down near San Diego, but never managed to make it into the city itself when visiting to go for a pint. Last time I saw John was actually in the Persevere before last years Cup Final.

lyonhibs
18-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Sounds like an absolutely cracking tax dodge :greengrin

On which note, I make up the membership of 1 of the Zurich Hibs Supporters Club. Lived in Lyon and Oxford beforehand. Get to cup finals and games at Xmas. Last game I saw in the flesh, we absolutely skooshed past Killie 3-0 and even Lewis Stevenson scored a raker.

I understand things have gone a wee bit south since then though :rolleyes:

The Green Goblin
19-09-2014, 01:10 AM

Used to drive down to ER from Lossie. It`s a hell of a long way. Moray is stunning. Lived there for a few years and return every July. Feels more like home than Edinburgh, where I grew up.

Two Hibees here in Sao Paulo (including me). Came here 7 years ago and leaving my season ticket behind was one of the hardest things of all. Really miss going to ER.

I watch all the games I can and always enjoy browsing on here. Always block buy tickets for all home and away games when I come back for a month in December/January.

One question though: is GlobalHibee a global Hibee? :wink:

Bay Area Hibees
19-09-2014, 04:22 AM

mike, nice one. Berkeley is lovely. If/when there's a big game we should try watch together.

im in sf.

steve

mikewynne
19-09-2014, 06:03 AM
mike, nice one. Berkeley is lovely. If/when there's a big game we should try watch together.

im in sf.

steve
I'm in! :)

vercol36
19-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Just recently moved to Kampala, Uganda. Not the easiest place to watch Scottish Championship football...

Green Diet
21-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Well a big rap for the hibs.net site and its many posters, as it has become the 'local' for lots of expats who can't first hand get a feel for what's really going on with our beloved club. Its great to get a feel for how widespread we all are. And i thought I was the only one who gets up in the middle of the night to follow a match!

:flag:

GreenLake
21-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Well a big rap for the hibs.net site and its many posters, as it has become the 'local' for lots of expats who can't first hand get a feel for what's really going on with our beloved club. Its great to get a feel for how widespread we all are. And i thought I was the only one who gets up in the middle of the night to follow a match!

:flag:

Best time for me and it becomes almost like a continuation of my dream - or perhaps in these days I should I say nightmare! :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
21-09-2014, 04:43 PM
South London. Fortunately I have good transport links to Quinn's although we're that **** at the moment that none of the TV channels want us.

cs9
21-09-2014, 04:56 PM
>I was just wandering how far and wide Hibs expat fans are spread across the world that, despite the georgraphy, still follow every kick of every game.

Madison, Wisconsin. Been here 34 years. Pretty fizzed off at Hibs currently - paying more attention to that other green team up the road - the Packers.

GORDONSMITH7
22-09-2014, 08:11 AM
In the St. Patrick's Hibernian Supporters Branch we have members in Scotland, England, N. Ireland, Wales, Rep. Ireland, USA, Canada, Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Germany, Qatar, Australia, New Zealand.

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/

GGTTH

BIG G