PDA

View Full Version : Liam Craig or David Gray?

BigT-Hibeez
15-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Who's the better captain? I think Craig is a bit spineless, and not a very good player.. Not captain material really is it?? :confused:

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2014, 05:16 PM
100% record with Gray as captain. 100% record with Craig not playing. No brainer IMO even though I don't dislike Craig as much as some on here.

GreenArmyyy!
15-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Gray doesn't let the captaincy faze him and has a great engine. Craig on the other hand is a decent footballer, he just can't deal with the added pressure of being captain. That's not his fault, managers should be able to see that.

Aldo
15-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Easy for me. Gray!

TheFamous1875
15-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Who's the better captain? I think Craig is a bit spineless, and not a very good player.. Not captain material really is it?? :confused:

I think Craig could prove to be a very good and influential player if he was played in the correct position. He should be behind the striker in huge free role, making passes and shooting from the midfield and setting up attacks from there. He doesn't have the composure or the energy or the determination or know how to play the holding role and he really doesn't read the game well enough or impose himself in huge middle of the park like, say, Scott Brown does.

If Craig can't get into the team in the free role, then he offers nothing to the squad and we may as well cut our loses. It would be a shame as he obviously has the ability to be a very good player for us, but I think a lot his career at Hibs so far has been a hinderance to him and his talents. Get him behind the striker attacking and without the armband and we may see his confidence and form return.

As for the armband, I think Gray is the natural choice. Craig doesn't lead by example. He doesn't look after his team mates on the pitch, he doesn't communicate anything positive to the other players. He's really not captain material and his performances have suffered from both the armband and all that comes with it and being played well out if position. Gray on the other hand seems to relish the role - as any real captain would. He grabbed the game against Dumbarton by the scruff of the neck and pushed the team all the way up the park and started whipping in crosses like a winger! The heart and the determination to decide within himself that this wasn't acceptable and to act and change the game came from within him as a person and that is exactly the kind of self determination and responsibility required to lead and influence in any capacity. Give him the armband.

Tom Hart RIP
15-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Gray for me but I was impressed with LCs attitude on Saturday when he ran to get the ball a few times to try and prevent Cowdenbeath goalkeeper wasting time when he was warming up.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Gray everyday of the week.

wookie70
15-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Gray for me but I was impressed with LCs attitude on Saturday when he ran to get the ball a few times to try and prevent Cowdenbeath goalkeeper wasting time when he was warming up.

I said to the boy next to me that Craig showed more urgency when he is Sub that when he is on the field. It hasn't worked with Craig being captain and you cannot have a club captain who is not a guaranteed pick every week. Gray will be play every week when available and looks like it doesn't faze him one bit.

TRC
15-09-2014, 06:32 PM
I said to the boy next to me that Craig showed more urgency when he is Sub that when he is on the field. It hasn't worked with Craig being captain and you cannot have a club captain who is not a guaranteed pick every week. Gray will be play every week when available and looks like it doesn't faze him one bit.

Worked at Man u and Liverpool. although I would say that it wouldn't work here, however we don't know what Craig is like out of the match day environment.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Dear Hibs,

Please choose captains based on their leadership qualities and not a means to overcome a wage structure to attract/retain players. Do not devalue the proud role this person should be honoured to hold. What we pay for to get such leadership qualities should be repaid in setting the standards not just for the team but the club.

If in doubt ask Pat Stanton.

Smartie
15-09-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't think it can be at all easy to be a captain and lose your place but I was quietly impressed by Liam Craig on Saturday.

He did show the urgency to get the ball back and he looked pretty upbeat when he was taking part in the half-time run-out with the other subbies.

In the past you could have imagined a player taking the huff if he was dropped in this fashion (especially a captain) but credit to Craig I don't think he let it get to him. Players going about with a petted lip can spread a bad attitude through the squad and I reckon that this has happened a lot in the past.

He mystifies me a bit. He's clearly got a lot to offer but for some reason it just never seems to come off for him. I think he does need to be played further up the park, and the way we played on Saturday with Robertson holding and Allan and McGeoch pushing on might have suited him better in one of the more advanced roles.

hibsbollah
15-09-2014, 06:56 PM
This is the easiest question I've ever had to answer on here. Including 'what is the usual colour of a Seville orange' and 'did Zemmama have totey wee feet?'.

Gray over Liam Craig every day of the week.

Mark79
15-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Changing captaincy during a season can cause problems......therefore drop craig and gray automatically gets the gig as stand in.

basehibby
15-09-2014, 08:30 PM
From where I've been standing the captaincy has not been good for Craig. It's lumped extra responsibility on his shoulders which, even if he claims to relish the responsibility, has distracted him from his normal game and ratcheted up the pressure from the stands to be all things to all men, reducing his effectiveness on the pitch.

I really don't know enough about Grey to know whether he fits the bill but I do not think that it's worked out for Craig as the skipper. The mantle should therefore be passed on to someone else - maybe Hanlon?

InterviewLoI
15-09-2014, 10:16 PM
I've a feeling Oxley would be an ubreal captain!

worcesterhibby
16-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I've a feeling Oxley would be an ubreal captain!

Never been a fan of Goalies at captains. Not enough influence on the game. It can work ok if you have other natural leaders on the park who will do the job further upfield (Italy 1982 is a good example of this where Dino Zoff was the captain but the team also had Claudio Gentile at the back and Paulo Rossi upfront, both of whom were highly experienced and born leaders).

Hibs need someone who is level headed, professional, gives 100% commitment and is able to drive the team forward when needed. They need to be a good communicator and lead by example..goalies are generally mad as a bag of frogs and are hardly in a position to drive the team forward :greengrin

Smiggy 7-0
16-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Got to be Gray, Bye Liam

Elephant Stone
16-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I don't think he's a leader but I've never seen Craig do anything to suggest he's not 100% committed, don't understand the nastiness towards him at all.

California-Hibs
17-09-2014, 01:04 AM
I don't think he's a leader but I've never seen Craig do anything to suggest he's not 100% committed, don't understand the nastiness towards him at all.

Agreed. The terrible comments aimed at Liam are way OTT, and if we're not careful we'll force a very decent play out of Easter Road. People have short memories as to what Liam was like when he first joined Hibs. He's very capable and tries 100%. Things haven't worked out recently for him, and maybe that has a lot to do with the pressure of being Captain (Butchers fault). Certain players managers/positions played in, have a major influence, and Liam falls into the category.

I still think people will eat their words about him this season. He's a good player.

Bruceb1875
17-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Can't remember who posted this I apologise.. Listen Liam Craig is not just the worst Hibs captain ever.... But IMO he is not even a gd footballer AT THIS CLUB! Now David Gray IMO he is A trier...
Looks good on the Ball and can run at players. So for me it's the The Easiest question ever...
DAVID GRAY GGTTH

Boyle89
18-09-2014, 12:49 AM

People think he gash and his performances over the last 6 months or so have justified that. However some people do take it too far by moaning as soon as he does something wrong. Simple way to stop that is by performing on the pitch.