PDA

View Full Version : Defence for Saturday.

JimBHibees
15-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Wonder if there will be changes there as the way they completely fell apart for 20 mins or so after half time was abysmal. Cowdenbeath scored 2 and it should gave been 3. I think I would bring in Fontaine due to his experience and you could take your pick of Forster or Hanlon out, probably Paul as he looked all over the place and maybe is a little short at the moment.

Theinsider
15-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Wonder if there will be changes there as the way they completely fell apart for 20 mins or so after half time was abysmal. Cowdenbeath scored 2 and it should gave been 3. I think I would bring in Fontaine due to his experience and you could take your pick of Forster or Hanlon out, probably Paul as he looked all over the place and maybe is a little short at the moment.

............................The Ox..................................

Gray...........Forster.........Fontaine........... ....Booth

Sinclair...........Allen.............McGeogh...... ........Kennedy

.....................Cummings.....Malonga......... ................

Has potential:agree:

Northernhibee
15-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Hanlon is the best defender we have by some way, one bad game does not change that. Forster is IMO solid and offers a threat at attacking set pieces. Gray is good and would take Stevenson over Booth any day of the week.

JimBHibees
15-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Hanlon is the best defender we have by some way, one bad game does not change that. Forster is IMO solid and offers a threat at attacking set pieces. Gray is good and would take Stevenson over Booth any day of the week.

So our defence is ok. The way they collapsed may indicate real mental weakness, to me an experienced central defender is needed. Not altogether convinced and aerially we are very poor and will lose goals from corners etc.

Northernhibee
15-09-2014, 10:38 AM
So our defence is ok. The way they collapsed may indicate real mental weakness, to me an experienced central defender is needed. Not altogether convinced and aerially we are very poor and will lose goals from corners etc.

Bad day at the office yesterday. No need to **** the bed about it.

Billychaotic182
15-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Hamlin had a mare at the weekend but I don't know if I would drop him

bigwheel
15-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm hoping Fontaine comes in and ends up better then what we had...

The Leith Dutch
15-09-2014, 11:05 AM
We lost shoddy goals as we have been doing for a while.

Without saying our defenders are World Class I think it's more about confidence and the way the team are playing overall rather than the actual defenders we put out.

The biggest problem we have is we're not scoring goals and not really posing a serious attacking threat despite 18 shots coming up in the stats for Saturday.
We need to be bossing the midfield and pressing teams back which in turn will ease the pressure on the defence and should also result in us scoring a few more.

If we don't change that I don't think it's going to make a difference which of our current defenders we select - we'll remain vulnerable to losing goals and not picking up points.

JimBHibees
15-09-2014, 11:14 AM
:greengrin
Bad day at the office yesterday. No need to **** the bed about it.

Good point. It was abject Cowdenbeath are probably the weakest in the league and we lost 2 should have been 3 in ten minutes or so. Better teams will take us apart defending like that.

The_Horde
15-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Changing personnel is the last thing we need right now IMO.

emerald green
15-09-2014, 11:49 AM
:greengrin

Good point. It was abject Cowdenbeath are probably the weakest in the league and we lost 2 should have been 3 in ten minutes or so. Better teams will take us apart defending like that.

:agree: Same awful defending against Dumbarton too. These are part time clubs FFS.

To quote Alan Stubbs in today's papers:

"It was absolute pandemonium" stated Stubbs. "I was not happy about the manner of our defending. It's not as if they are young players who have only a handful of appearances. There's probably more than 500 (the actual figure is 651) in the backline, so I am not telling them anything they do not know.

The standards must be better. They have to be. Unfortunately we are not at the level where we want the club to be, so we have to be better and not give away stupid, stupid goals which put everyone on the back foot."

Is Alan Stuubs a bed wetter too? No, he's not. He is simply stating the blindingly obvious.

California-Hibs
15-09-2014, 12:28 PM
We lost shoddy goals as we have been doing for a while.

Without saying our defenders are World Class I think it's more about confidence and the way the team are playing overall rather than the actual defenders we put out.

The biggest problem we have is we're not scoring goals and not really posing a serious attacking threat despite 18 shots coming up in the stats for Saturday.
We need to be bossing the midfield and pressing teams back which in turn will ease the pressure on the defence and should also result in us scoring a few more.

If we don't change that I don't think it's going to make a difference which of our current defenders we select - we'll remain vulnerable to losing goals and not picking up points.

Not scoring goals? We've scored in every game this season except one. We've also scored 7 goals in the last 3 games!..

Goal scoring and attacking is no where near the problem. We have that down and sorted. It's keeping it tight at the back that's killing us recently.

Things will come good though.

erin go bragh
15-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Id like to see us playing 3 at the back with Gray and Booth as wing backs .
------------Ox ---------------
---Forster--Fontain--Hanlon
Gray-----------------------------Booth
Kennedy ----Allan ------Mcgeogh
---------Cummings -----Malonga

Ggtth

Smartie
15-09-2014, 12:52 PM
:agree: Same awful defending against Dumbarton too. These are part time clubs FFS.

To quote Alan Stubbs in today's papers:

"It was absolute pandemonium" stated Stubbs. "I was not happy about the manner of our defending. It's not as if they are young players who have only a handful of appearances. There's probably more than 500 (the actual figure is 651) in the backline, so I am not telling them anything they do not know.

The standards must be better. They have to be. Unfortunately we are not at the level where we want the club to be, so we have to be better and not give away stupid, stupid goals which put everyone on the back foot."

Is Alan Stuubs a bed wetter too? No, he's not. He is simply stating the blindingly obvious.

I have to say that I think that that is a cracking quote from Stubbs and he is spot on.

I don't think that a change in personnel is required though - I'm happy that the 4 that played on Saturday are are first choice 4 and should be given an opportunity to form an understanding. That only comes from playing games together.

They should be very aware though that we have Fontaine and Booth hopefully champing at the bit to get back in if they perform the way they did on Saturday again.

FWIW I thought Gray was the poorest of the back 4 on Saturday but we still really don't have anyone pushing him for his place.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Why is Stevenson being dropped?

whiskyhibby
15-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Absolutely agree

overdrive
15-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Id like to see us playing 3 at the back with Gray and Booth as wing backs .
------------Ox ---------------
---Forster--Fontain--Hanlon
Gray-----------------------------Booth
Kennedy ----Allan ------Mcgeogh
---------Cummings -----Malonga

Ggtth

We'd get slaughtered in midfield. You can't really play wingers in that formation unless you have them at wingback or use one in a "free role" behind the strikers.

silverhibee
15-09-2014, 02:08 PM
;4169554']Changing personnel is the last thing we need right now IMO.

Maybe bring Craig back in to the team though.

silverhibee
15-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I would stick with Hanlon and Forster as our CH pairing and bring in Booth for Stevenson.

TheFamous1875
15-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Whilst I don't think he should be dropped, I do believe that he should be in the middle as a 'terrier'. He's the closest thing we have to that and I think if he had a proper run in that position he could make it his own; collecting the ball and giving it to the more 'creative' players - Daley Blind did it yesterday for Man Utd and they look a completely different team to the one of the last year. I think if we had Stevenson in the middle it would enable both Booth and Kennedy to get forward and dominate the left hand side. They linked up really well together and with a player like Stevenson protecting them and supporting them, we could really have the upper hand against the opposition. Most of our players are more creative types than 'water carriers', but with Stevenson in that role in front of the centre-halfs we could see a lot more being created and a lot less being conceded.

The new boys really made their mark on Saturday and we now feel more like a squad with options than an after thought that is trying to 'wing it' in this league. I was impressed by all three of them but again I felt we needed someone to dictate the middle of the park and enable both Allan and McGeouch to get forward and I felt that Robertson didn't do that and was stifled by the responsibility himself.

It's all about options and now that we have a few, I think we should go with a team along the lines of:

------------Oxley.

Gray. Forster Hanlon. Booth.

Allan. Stevenson. McGeouch.

Cummings. Malonga. Kennedy.

SUBS: GK; Harris, Stanton, Fontaine, Sinclair, Handling, Craig/Robertson.

Heffernan offers nothing and we can't afford to have a player not having an effect on the game. Craig or Robertson on the bench as both have not been at he races for some time and have offered very little again.

It's good that our young players now have people in the squad to take the heat off them and give them some competition. We seen it with Ryan McGivern last year that you can become complacent and your form can dip rapidly if you're not challenged and pushed day-in-day-out in training. Our young players who've shown that they have talent have not anyone there to take the heat off them and it could potentially damage their development so I'm glad Stubbs has seen to this and brought in some seemingly good competition for them. Developing our youth should be a top priority for a club like ours, and it's about time it was given the care and attention it needs.

On Saturdays showing the defence wasn't great and Hanlon had one of his worst performances for a long time but that understandable as he's not been playing regularly and is still getting back to terms with playing. I definitely would not drop him as he's one of our best players (if not, the best) and he'll come back to his solid self very soon as long as he's played.

Smartie
15-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Whilst I don't think he should be dropped, I do believe that he should be in the middle as a 'terrier'. He's the closest thing we have to that and I think if he had a proper run in that position he could make it his own; collecting the ball and giving it to the more 'creative' players - Daley Blind did it yesterday for Man Utd and they look a completely different team to the one of the last year. I think if we had Stevenson in the middle it would enable both Booth and Kennedy to get forward and dominate the left hand side. They linked up really well together and with a player like Stevenson protecting them and supporting them, we could really have the upper hand against the opposition. Most of our players are more creative types than 'water carriers', but with Stevenson in that role in front of the centre-halfs we could see a lot more being created and a lot less being conceded.

The new boys really made their mark on Saturday and we now feel more like a squad with options than an after thought that is trying to 'wing it' in this league. I was impressed by all three of them but again I felt we needed someone to dictate the middle of the park and enable both Allan and McGeouch to get forward and I felt that Robertson didn't do that and was stifled by the responsibility himself.

It's all about options and now that we have a few, I think we should go with a team along the lines of:

------------Oxley.

Gray. Forster Hanlon. Booth.

Allan. Stevenson. McGeouch.

Cummings. Malonga. Kennedy.

SUBS: GK; Harris, Stanton, Fontaine, Sinclair, Handling, Craig/Robertson.

Heffernan offers nothing and we can't afford to have a player not having an effect on the game. Craig or Robertson on the bench as both have not been at he races for some time and have offered very little again.

It's good that our young players now have people in the squad to take the heat off them and give them some competition. We seen it with Ryan McGivern last year that you can become complacent and your form can dip rapidly if you're not challenged and pushed day-in-day-out in training. Our young players who've shown that they have talent have not anyone there to take the heat off them and it could potentially damage their development so I'm glad Stubbs has seen to this and brought in some seemingly good competition for them. Developing our youth should be a top priority for a club like ours, and it's about time it was given the care and attention it needs.

On Saturdays showing the defence wasn't great and Hanlon had one of his worst performances for a long time but that understandable as he's not been playing regularly and is still getting back to terms with playing. I definitely would not drop him as he's one of our best players (if not, the best) and he'll come back to his solid self very soon as long as he's played.

Some really good points in there.

I've often thought that Stevenson and Booth are too good to be left out and I honestly think that we've got the 2 best left-backs in the league.

Booth was unlucky to be dropped imo, Stevenson was poor at Alloa but much better on Saturday.

They offer different things from the LB position and I'd be tempted to play one or the other based on who we're playing. Booth was immense going forward in the games he played but looked very shaky defensively. Stevenson is a much better defender, is miles better going forward than he gets credit for (but still not as good as Booth) and is also imo a very solid midfielder - exactly the type we need in there to compliment the other players.

Against the stronger teams in the league, away from home or against teams who have a known threat from out wide I'd play Stevenson there but when we're trying to break teams down and need a threat then I'd go with Booth.

I don't think we should necessarily play the same team every week regardless and I think we should use the full squad in this way, keeping the players happy and involved.

JimBHibees
15-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Some really good points in there.

I've often thought that Stevenson and Booth are too good to be left out and I honestly think that we've got the 2 best left-backs in the league.

Booth was unlucky to be dropped imo, Stevenson was poor at Alloa but much better on Saturday.

They offer different things from the LB position and I'd be tempted to play one or the other based on who we're playing. Booth was immense going forward in the games he played but looked very shaky defensively. Stevenson is a much better defender, is miles better going forward than he gets credit for (but still not as good as Booth) and is also imo a very solid midfielder - exactly the type we need in there to compliment the other players.

Against the stronger teams in the league, away from home or against teams who have a known threat from out wide I'd play Stevenson there but when we're trying to break teams down and need a threat then I'd go with Booth.

I don't think we should necessarily play the same team every week regardless and I think we should use the full squad in this way, keeping the players happy and involved.

Lee Wallace is about three times the player of both unfortunately.

Smartie
15-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Lee Wallace is about three times the player of both unfortunately.

Prior to this season I'd have agreed with you but I've watched a few of their games on TV this season and I've not been impressed with him any time I've seen him. He looks rusty for having played at a lower level for a few years.

Although if he gets his act together you're probably right.

Brightside
15-09-2014, 04:28 PM
The 20 mins spell of madness came from our midfield allowing Cowden to just waltz past us...the defence were shaky for that period but midfield need to do more to close down opposition players.

Bronson
15-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Hanlon had a mare on saturday but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put that down to lacking match sharpness. He'll only re-gain said sharpness by playing games, and once he does our defence will be just fine.

rcarter1
15-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Hanlon had a mare on saturday but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put that down to lacking match sharpness. He'll only re-gain said sharpness by playing games, and once he does our defence will be just fine.

Agree. Players coming back need a bit of game time. Was a shame that Hanlon got caught out, and in fairness he was a tad unlucky that his 'header' led to a goal.

Northernhibee
15-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Exactly the same reason that Wotherspoon and Rankin got pelters which is no good reason at all.

SunshineOnLeith
15-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Same back four as Saturday unless Stubbs wants Stevenson in midfield for some more bite in there in a tricky away game. Then Booth comes in.

Hanlon had a bad game on Saturday, I'm sure he'd be the first to admit, but that's all it was, a bad game. It happens. We still won.