Not sure what this numpty was paid for that performance but it was too much

Winston Ingram
14-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Not seen posted else where

TOTALLY USELESS!!!

Allowed Cowdenbeath away with murder - time wasting and fouls

Denied 3 other penalties and almost never got the one we were awarded

Not sure what this numpty was paid for that performance but it was too much

He was awful. He seemed to have his own version of the rules where kicking the ball away, scything tackles & deliberate hand balls aren't bookings

emerald green
14-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Very poor. He just didn't want to know for Hibs penalty, and he knew it was a penalty all right.

He was forced into giving it by his assistant. Well done to him. You don't see that very often at ER.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2014, 10:05 AM
He was awful. He seemed to have his own version of the rules where kicking the ball away, scything tackles & deliberate hand balls aren't bookings

:agree: Commented on this at the game, at least three times from the same player I counted.

JimBHibees
14-09-2014, 10:25 AM
How that tackle was deemed not to be a yellow just before the penalty was ridiculous?

Kennedy scythed down not for the first time.

I also dont get this pointing at the watch as if it is ok I will add time on. Unfortunately the clown goalie was then allowed to slow the game down and take about a minute each goal kick.

How sweet we got the winner in injury time? Assume he got booked for blasting the ball into the crowd, bet not though. A real GIRUY moment. :greengrin

brog
14-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Just saw highlights on Hibs TV. The ref, 12 yards away & looking straight at the incident doesn't give a pen! The lino, about 30-40 yards away & on the wrong side to see it flags! Well done the lino, appalling by the ref, oh & thanks to Cowden player, there was no real danger!

Ricky Bobby
14-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Other than one of the challenges on Kennedy and the lad kicking the ball away, I don't think he got too much wrong. Rather than focus on the ref lets concentrate on why a part time side, who had to win a play off to remain in the division last year, were in a position to waste time. What are we expecting them to do?

Boyle89
14-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Other than one of the challenges on Kennedy and the lad kicking the ball away, I don't think he got too much wrong. Rather than focus on the ref lets concentrate on why a part time side, who had to win a play off to remain in the division last year, were in a position to waste time. What are we expecting them to do?

I said that to my mate. They should never have been in a position to time waste. We got the win though and that's what matters in terms of the league.
The ref was terrible though. Not booking for time wasting but then booked 3 players for dissent cause he didn't spot a blatant pen!

Winston Ingram
14-09-2014, 10:41 AM
:agree: Commented on this at the game, at least three times from the same player I counted.

Then there was their subs. All of them walked off as slow as they could. One stopped, knelt down,untied his socks and pulled out his shin pads. Another stopped for a couple of chats with team mates. None were booked.

kaimendhibs
14-09-2014, 11:06 AM

It's all about opinions I suppose by mine is that he was shocking! Stonewall handball in the box waved away and no intention of giving the penalty the Lino awarded. Shocking tackle on Kennedy knee high from behind which could have easily been a red card (handling got sent off for much less at ibrox) 5 players screaming at him and Lino at penalty, he grudgingly booked one. No matter the short comings of hibs, the allowing of all that time wasting was awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerald green
14-09-2014, 11:14 AM

I know this might sound naïve, but how about expecting teams to play the game in at least a semi-sporting manner, not time waste from start to finish at every opportunity and in the most blatant manner. Ruining the contest as a spectacle from the word go for the spectators who (mostly) have paid their hard earned cash to watch that garbage?

I know there are times when all teams do it, e.g. Hibs kept the ball down in the corner at the end of a recent match (Livi game maybe?) to see out the last few minutes to protect a one goal lead. But going out with a game plan to deliberately waste time, from start to finish, is tantamount to cheating IMO. I certainly wouldn't give any team praise or credit for playing the game in that manner.

Ricky Bobby
14-09-2014, 11:15 AM
There is no doubt that time wasting is frustrating, but the fact is it happens in every game and we have given them that opportunity by our players not earning the right to be in front. I don't think the ref dishing out a few extra yellows would have made any difference yesterday.

SunshineOnLeith
14-09-2014, 11:25 AM
No disrespect to Cowdenbeath, but I think a referee who gets so easily 'managed' by a part time team, away from home, can't really have great prospects in the profession. I imagine lower league Scottish football will be the highest level matches he ever takes charge of.

Cue me looking like an idiot when someone now tells me he's an established top flight ref :greengrin

wookie70
14-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Time wasting happens in every game nowadays. We notice it more because we tend to be losing most games we play in. With the exception of the The Rangers games and the Jambos the referees are far more lenient with tackling in this league. This ref took that way too far yesterday. The challenge on Kennedy was a shocker and was a clear Yellow which some refs would have given a red for. Much worse than Handlings at Ibrox.

If you look at what Mulgrew got sent of for that is the letter of the law and in my opinion was a ridiculous decision. Booking their keeper after we scored would be in the same ball park. He should however have been booked for time wasting before that as should at least 2 or 3 of their outfield players.

I would love to see a figure for how much of the 90 minutes is spent waiting for Keepers to take a drink of water. Tap their boots on the post and take the ball from one side of the goal to the other. It costs me at least a pound or two to watch that every week. Go back to taking byes on the side the ball went out and make sure the 6 seconds rule for Keepers, which I think still exists, is applied rigorously.

SunshineOnLeith
14-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Time wasting happens in every game nowadays. We notice it more because we tend to be losing most games we play in. With the exception of the The Rangers games and the Jambos the referees are far more lenient with tackling in this league. This ref took that way too far yesterday. The challenge on Kennedy was a shocker and was a clear Yellow which some refs would have given a red for. Much worse than Handlings at Ibrox.

If you look at what Mulgrew got sent of for that is the letter of the law and in my opinion was a ridiculous decision. Booking their keeper after we scored would be in the same ball park. He should however have been booked for time wasting before that as should at least 2 or 3 of their outfield players.

I would love to see a figure for how much of the 90 minutes is spent waiting for Keepers to take a drink of water. Tap their boots on the post and take the ball from one side of the goal to the other. It costs me at least a pound or two to watch that every week. Go back to taking byes on the side the ball went out and make sure the 6 seconds rule for Keepers, which I think still exists, is applied rigorously.

6 second rule doesn't exist. It's for the ref to decide if he's timewasting. Having an arbitrary figure on it was never sensible anyway as goalies are pretty well versed in game management and finding things they can get away with, such as 'dealing with' annoying strikers at corners. If you've got a strong referee they can just very clearly dictate what they consider acceptable.

Goal kicks have never had to be taken from the side the ball went out on (would just create another time wasting opportunity by 'accidently' going to the wrong side if it goes over the bar), they can be taken from anywhere inside the 6 yard box. Joe Hart usually takes his from the middle of the goal.

Stopping for a drink is blatant time wasting and a strong ref would have had the card out for that.

wookie70
14-09-2014, 11:57 AM
6 second rule doesn't exist. It's for the ref to decide if he's timewasting. Having an arbitrary figure on it was never sensible anyway as goalies are pretty well versed in game management and finding things they can get away with, such as 'dealing with' annoying strikers at corners. If you've got a strong referee they can just very clearly dictate what they consider acceptable.

Goal kicks have never had to be taken from the side the ball went out on (would just create another time wasting opportunity by 'accidently' going to the wrong side if it goes over the bar), they can be taken from anywhere inside the 6 yard box. Joe Hart usually takes his from the middle of the goal.

Stopping for a drink is blatant time wasting and a strong ref would have had the card out for that.

Thegoal kicks used to be taken on the side of the 6 yard box the ball went out on from what I remember. I am getting old. Did the 6 second rile get taken out or was it just a guideline. I agree though a strong ref would sort all this out without the need for specific rules.

greenlad
14-09-2014, 11:57 AM
6 second rule doesn't exist. It's for the ref to decide if he's timewasting..

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx

Does exist - but very rarely enforced since the early days about 20 years ago.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession

SunshineOnLeith
14-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Thegoal kicks used to be taken on the side of the 6 yard box the ball went out on from what I remember. I am getting old. Did the 6 second rile get taken out or was it just a guideline. I agree though a strong ref would sort all this out without the need for specific rules.

Goal kicks was always just common practice, it was never a rule. No idea when it became the norm to pick your spot but you'll often see quickly taken goal kicks taken from anywhere in the six yard box if they're going short.

6 seconds was a guideline, before that it was the 3 step 'rule'. The problem with 6 seconds was always when did you start counting. If a goalie has made a diving save it might take him a few seconds to get to his feet, for example. When Ben Williams made the point blank save from Lyle Taylor at the very end of the Falkirk semi final I'm sure he was on the deck for over 6 seconds probably just catching his breath!

The problem isn't with the rules, it's with the way they're enforced.

SunshineOnLeith
14-09-2014, 12:15 PM
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx

Does exist - but very rarely enforced since the early days about 20 years ago.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession

I stand corrected.

You rarely see a goalie holding the ball in his hands for in excess of the time though, he'll drop it at his feet, or take an age getting to his feet after a save or catch, instead.

givescotlandfreedom
14-09-2014, 12:25 PM
It's all about opinions I suppose by mine is that he was shocking! Stonewall handball in the box waved away and no intention of giving the penalty the Lino awarded. Shocking tackle on Kennedy knee high from behind which could have easily been a red card (handling got sent off for much less at ibrox) 5 players screaming at him and Lino at penalty, he grudgingly booked one. No matter the short comings of hibs, the allowing of all that time wasting was awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The performance of the players, manager, programme editor, catering staff is being discussed on other threads, there's nothing wrong with discussing the ref's poor performance and the good decision making of a linesman.

iwasthere1972
14-09-2014, 12:55 PM
How that tackle was deemed not to be a yellow just before the penalty was ridiculous?

Kennedy scythed down not for the first time.

I also dont get this pointing at the watch as if it is ok I will add time on. Unfortunately the clown goalie was then allowed to slow the game down and take about a minute each goal kick.

How sweet we got the winner in injury time? Assume he got booked for blasting the ball into the crowd, bet not though. A real GIRUY moment. :greengrin

The goalie also kicked the living daylights out one of the goalposts. He was well and truly peeved. :greengrin

wookie70
14-09-2014, 03:09 PM
I stand corrected.

You rarely see a goalie holding the ball in his hands for in excess of the time though, he'll drop it at his feet, or take an age getting to his feet after a save or catch, instead.

They can drop it at their feet and take as long as they want as the ball is in play. No problem with that, it is the opposing sides job to speed things up then if they want. If the 6 second rule still exists it should be applied rigorously. We pay a lot of money to watch keepers doing nothing. The game is painfully slow now, well it is if you watch Hibs.

It was the 4 step rule from my memory too. When I was younger the goalies got pulled up for taking byes on the wrong side. This is going back 30 years so maybe the mists of time making me think that.

Hannah_hfc
14-09-2014, 03:52 PM
I was completely infuriated with the ref and their goalie yesterday. Goalie deserved the whole FF stand giving it GIRUY at full time, his time wasting was deliberate wind up to us and the Hibs players particularly taking a drink before a goal kick.
Mentioned in the updates thread good on the linesman with the penalty decision as the ref was away to bottle that one...again.

maturehibby
14-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Referee was named McKendrick and has been on the grade 1 referee list for a few years now but is not one of the leading lights _ shows that the Refs supervisors do know who can and who cant be trusted with the higher league games - no doubt he will find himself at Petehead or Annan or Berwick for the forse-able future .
Saw him a few years ago at the Scottish cup tie a few years ago doing a Edinburgh University v Devornvale first round Scottish cup tie and to me he has not got any better .
This unfortunately will be the of referee that we will have to get used too - not that the Premier League ones are much better

Sas_The_Hibby
14-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Goal kicks was always just common practice, it was never a rule. No idea when it became the norm to pick your spot but you'll often see quickly taken goal kicks taken from anywhere in the six yard box if they're going short.

6 seconds was a guideline, before that it was the 3 step 'rule'. The problem with 6 seconds was always when did you start counting. If a goalie has made a diving save it might take him a few seconds to get to his feet, for example. When Ben Williams made the point blank save from Lyle Taylor at the very end of the Falkirk semi final I'm sure he was on the deck for over 6 seconds probably just catching his breath!

The problem isn't with the rules, it's with the way they're enforced.

Or time wasting! :wink:

MB62
15-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Steve Cowan on the radio commentary during the was slating the ref for being useless.