PDA

View Full Version : The style of football

Bobby's Cinema
14-09-2014, 01:15 AM
This is one thing I cannot understand. Playing the percentages, employing a system of getting the ball wide to play into the box, why not play through the middle? A genuine question.

All this against a cowdenbeath team that i could line-up against? It blatantly didn't work. Both with personnel and system. There MUST be a change in emphasis from a system that fails to create chances and leaks goals so easily. There MUST be.

Hibeesmad
14-09-2014, 01:20 AM
I just want them to be a lot more faster going forward tbh

Bobby's Cinema
14-09-2014, 01:25 AM
:agree: I'm just wondering if the fundamental tactic of playing it out wide to get the ball into the box is truly playing to our strengths?

I would say no.

Hibeesmad
14-09-2014, 01:37 AM
:agree: I'm just wondering if the fundamental tactic of playing it out wide to get the ball into the box is truly playing to our strengths?

I would say no.

Especially if we only have 1 up front who is getting marked out the game

Boyle89
14-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Stanton wasted out wide IMO. We need him or McGeouch in the middle driving at defenders drawing fouls and creating space. I like the fact we kept the ball for long spells today but at times it did remind me of fenlon.

pedroorange1875
14-09-2014, 01:54 AM

Completely agree, utterly pedestrian at times, other times plenty of space in front of the man with the ball and yet we see a stop, pass to the side or a pass back. Im fed up shouting go forward when there is genuine space and time to do it. Im all for patient build up and retention but there is a difference between that and statuesque, ultra slow play

I appreciate today that he tried to switch Kennedy sometimes to the centre to try and drive, and also Mcgeough did this but there is no point when the rest of the team does not move or make space, the middle gets too bogged down and it has to go back or side ways and we have one guy up front who is slow and immobile. We need an intelligent creative midfielder and instruct the rest of the midfield to clear away and make space.

HappyAsHellas
15-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I think some of the problem lies firmly with who is playing up front. When we had the ball on Saturday, Heff just stood around the D outside the box, making him very easy to mark. After the substitutions when Sinclair started making runs in the channels it was like night and day. We do have the potential to really hurt teams early on in a game but it doesn't seem to have quite worked out that way yet. Starting with the forward line that ended the game on Saturday would be a step in the right direction.

SanFranHibs
15-09-2014, 02:19 PM
I just watched the highlights.

Overall a dire performance. Slow and laboured going forward. Shocking defensive lapses.

However, if the new guys and Cummings start from now on we might show more urgency from the beginning. And I am sure they will improve once they have had time to gel but we can only hope there is substantial improvement because this team is going to struggle if they play like this.

Stubbs needs to get his best team out there and without wishing to condemn one player I think most agree Heffernan should not be starting. Can't blame Heff for the shocking defense but he should not be starting.

Of course McGeouch, Sinclair and Malonga need time to settle in and they need to be on from the start and get as much playing time as possible. When you look at the three players I just mentioned and add in Cummings, Allan and Kennedy and I actually think they could become quite potent at this level IF Stubbs gets them playing the ball forward much quicker.

Just my thoughts after watching the highlights.

Smartie
15-09-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm very happy with the style of football on show although I accept that it can be a bit laboured at times.

There have been short spells already this season when I think we've played very well indeed - at Ibrox, First half vs Livi, 1st half vs Falkirk, goal rushes at the end of Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath games. Passing football with an urgency to get forward.

It's a long way from eye-bleedingly bad hoofball and some of the dross served up under Fenlon although I accept it's aginst poorer opposition.

Given we've brought in a fair number of new players and that confidence must have been rock bottom when Stubbs came in I'm not unhappy with where we are now.

It may just be me but I'm loving it that Hibs are passing it again and I'll cut them a helluva lot of slack as long as they're attempting to do so. Rome wasn't built in a day after all.