PDA

View Full Version : clearout still required

pedroorange1875
13-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Lewis Stevenson - offers us nothing if we are going to be direct and play wingbacks, cannot cross and will constantly turn back, his first look with the ball is back the way

Paul Hanlon - terrible positioning, constantly loses his man at corners or lets him in front when teams are attacking from the wings, terrible today/most other games

Paul Heffernan - finished, legs gone and miles off the pace, he did have a chance today when he side stepped his marker made space but did not shoot, did he really think would breeze passed him

Scott Robertson - a shadow of the player my DUFC supporting pal said we had got a gem.

Liam Craig - play him left attacking midfield or get rid of him, he offers nothing in any other position as he cant play them

AlbertK86
13-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Agree with everything you say

Hopefully we go 442 next game

New boys all look like they may have a bit of spark and Cummings made a big difference with his work rate and willingness to shoot

Start with team that finished with
Fontaine and Booth in for Hanlon and Stevenson and Allan instead of Robertson

Up The Bracket
13-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Behave, Hanlon was awful today but he's one of our best players, think we can allow him one off day given he hasn't played in over a month. Liam Craig never played today and that's just a jibe at a player for no reason whatsoever. Stevenson is fine for the first division, Robertson is the same. I'll agree about Heffernan but we have other options now and he won't play if he's not good enough.

Not In The Know
13-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Hanlon has been the constant in our weak defence for the last 4 years.

hibbytam
13-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Lewis Stevenson - offers us nothing if we are going to be direct and play wingbacks, cannot cross and will constantly turn back, his first look with the ball is back the way

Paul Hanlon - terrible positioning, constantly loses his man at corners or lets him in front when teams are attacking from the wings, terrible today/most other games

Paul Heffernan - finished, legs gone and miles off the pace, he did have a chance today when he side stepped his marker made space but did not shoot, did he really think would breeze passed him

Scott Robertson - a shadow of the player my DUFC supporting pal said we had got a gem.

Liam Craig - play him left attacking midfield or get rid of him, he offers nothing in any other position as he cant play them

I disagree about Stevenson, he got himself into some good positions in the first half especially. Also he works hard, has a good attitude.

Hanlon was terrible today, but I still think we would have stayed up if he didn't get injured.

Heff and Robertson have a lot to prove still, but they've both have it in them.

Liam Craig wasn't playing today.

And the constant clearouts need to stop.

pedroorange1875
13-09-2014, 08:53 PM
I disagree about Stevenson, he got himself into some good positions in the first half especially. Also he works hard, has a good attitude.

Hanlon was terrible today, but I still think we would have stayed up if he didn't get injured.

Heff and Robertson have a lot to prove still, but they've both have it in them.

Liam Craig wasn't playing today.

And the constant clearouts need to stop.

Thats exactly the problem, its all he has, that's not going to improve us, its so obvious now. And yes he gets in good positions because of his fitness and hard work, the main point is he cant do anything with them, he cant beat a man consistently, he constantly turns back and he cannot deliver consistently a quality cross. We have been patient and persisted with him in various positions and we have gone from a premier team who won a cup with him in the team to a bottom half first division team...i concede nowhere near all his fault but this quality player will not progress us, history to our current situation is the proof and cannot be disputed

What difference does it make that Liam didn't play today other than we won, the point still stands and his place(and wage) could be better utilised if we don't play him in that position

Paul Hanlon has been a constant in one of the worst, softest and inept defenses we have ever had, im not even going to continue to debate that.

Heffernan did have it in him, he doesn't now..Robertson, i was a big fan when he arrived but i have no idea what has happened to him...awful and its these players in this form that are not going to improve us..

Clear outs are needed, we cannot continue this decline and keep accepting this disgraceful standard. Im happy for the 3 points but that is it, we are slow, almost pedestrian, we have little or no movement when not in possession and we have a manager that has questionable tactical awareness or how to set up a team...4 5 1 to Cowdenbeath at home.....oh dear

HappyAsHellas
13-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Clear outs are needed, we cannot continue this decline and keep accepting this disgraceful standard. Im happy for the 3 points but that is it, we are slow, almost pedestrian, we have little or no movement when not in possession and we have a manager that has questionable tactical awareness or how to set up a team...4 5 1 to Cowdenbeath at home.....oh dear

We cannot get a clear out till January, and even then it may not happen. AS said everyone gets a second chance and he seems determined to do this. I thought we should have started with the finishing team today and went at them from the off. Craig was dropped, which might spur him on a bit in future. The team is very much still a work in progress, and come the seasons end, may differ greatly from the starting line up today.
I'm still prepared to be patient, as we are improving.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2014, 09:13 PM
We cannot get a clear out till January, and even then it may not happen. AS said everyone gets a second chance and he seems determined to do this. I thought we should have started with the finishing team today and went at them from the off. Craig was dropped, which might spur him on a bit in future. The team is very much still a work in progress, and come the seasons end, may differ greatly from the starting line up today.
I'm still prepared to be patient, as we are improving.

Are we really, from when?

hibbytam
13-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Thats exactly the problem, its all he has, that's not going to improve us, its so obvious now. And yes he gets in good positions because of his fitness and hard work, the main point is he cant do anything with them, he cant beat a man consistently, he constantly turns back and he cannot deliver consistently a quality cross. We have been patient and persisted with him in various positions and we have gone from a premier team who won a cup with him in the team to a bottom half first division team...i concede nowhere near all his fault but this quality player will not progress us, history to our current situation is the proof and cannot be disputed

What difference does it make that Liam didn't play today other than we won, the point still stands and his place(and wage) could be better utilised if we don't play him in that position

Paul Hanlon has been a constant in one of the worst, softest and inept defenses we have ever had, im not even going to continue to debate that.

Heffernan did have it in him, he doesn't now..Robertson, i was a big fan when he arrived but i have no idea what has happened to him...awful and its these players in this form that are not going to improve us..

but the constant clearing out is what's got us here in the first place. Yes we need to add quality, but we need to get a team together that know each other, rather than a new face popping up for a couple games, then clearing off.

HappyAsHellas
13-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Are we really, from when?

From last season, the style of football is a vast improvement. The retaining of the ball is getting better, although the final third still needs a bit of work, but the team today were very good after the substitutions were made. If we were still humping the ball up the park I would be pessimistic, but dare I say the green shoots of recovery are evident.

Bronson
13-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Stevenson - my non hibs supporting mate's motm today, didn't know much about him but thought he done well in the first half getting crosses in, bemoaned the lack of movement in the box to get on the end of them. I like him, nothing spectacular, but reliable enough.

Hanlon - very poor today but just back from injury. On form arguably our best player, crazy to suggest he should get punted IMO.

Heff - agree, offered us nothing from day one.

Robertson - in two minds. I thought he was alright today, but nothing more. I know there's a real player in there and at times he has shown that at hibs, just nowhere near often enough. I'd keep him for now.

Craig - agree, been absolutely rotten for us but I have no doubt he'll be great for whoever he goes to next.

sahib
13-09-2014, 09:44 PM

This is like observing that fire engines are always present at fires and concluding they must be the agent responsible.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2014, 09:45 PM
From last season, the style of football is a vast improvement. The retaining of the ball is getting better, although the final third still needs a bit of work, but the team today were very good after the substitutions were made. If we were still humping the ball up the park I would be pessimistic, but dare I say the green shoots of recovery are evident.

I'm with you now, we are losing more prettily.

HappyAsHellas
13-09-2014, 09:47 PM

If you're one of the ones who left when they got their second, I can now tell you we won today.:aok:

B.H.F.C
13-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Lot of valid points in the OP. I think a lot of the players letting us down are players that were letting us down last year.

I don't like reading comments about players like Stevenson being fine for this league. What is fine? Being 'fine' got us in to this bloody mess. And it isn't going to get us out of it. And he's not the only one. Heffernan, Craig, Robertson. All consistently poor. We are still soft as hell at the back as well. Again, it's players who were soft as hell for us last year.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2014, 09:52 PM
If you're one of the ones who left when they got their second, I can now tell you we won today.:aok:

I left quite a while before their 2nd matey.

IWasThere2016
13-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Hanlon has attributes - but he is too nice/soft IMHO.

500miles
13-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I left quite a while before their 2nd matey.

You sound dead proud of that. Well done, pat on the back for you.:thumbsup:

J-C
13-09-2014, 11:15 PM
We win and we still have people moaning, jeezo give it all a rest. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
13-09-2014, 11:18 PM
How ridiculous has this thread got?!

Yes a clear out is still required. Unfortunately no one else wants our duds so we're lumbered with them until their contract ends.

Close thread?

Hibeesmad
14-09-2014, 03:57 AM
The only 2 players I would get rid of in January are Heffernan and Craig, using their wages to bring in a strong defensive midfielder. Danny Handling needs to go out on loan too IMO, even Callum booth could go on loan if Stevenson is no.1 choice as Fontaine and Hanlon can both cover that position

bigwheel
14-09-2014, 05:41 AM
I have no idea how after yesterday's game there can possibly be another Stevenson thread....outside of McGeoch I would say he was probably our best player yesterday. He got forward, got some decent balls in to the box, and his ball winning was part if the reason that actually led to us changing the momentum of the game when we struggled in the second half...I really do wonder sometimes if some people actually watch the game...

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 06:20 AM
I have no idea how after yesterday's game there can possibly be another Stevenson thread....outside of McGeoch I would say he was probably our best player yesterday. He got forward, got some decent balls in to the box, and his ball winning was part if the reason that actually led to us changing the momentum of the game when we struggled in the second half...I really do wonder sometimes if some people actually watch the game...

Why shouldn't there be another Stevenson thread? The majority of my supporters I speak to agree Stevenson tries very hard but is short of the attributes to be recognised as a good spl standard footballer. Sadly it is a sign of the times that through honest endeavour he can offer more than many of our current starters who have hearts the size of a pea e.g. Craig, Harris, handling, robertson, Stanton etc...but let's not kid ourselves. Another who is paceless, one footed and who cannot deliver a decent cross. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2014, 07:16 AM
You sound dead proud of that. Well done, pat on the back for you.:thumbsup:

Proud no, taken for a mug yes. The camels back was broken a long time ago. No longer will i bother my arse while the invisible man and his sidekick don't bother theirs.

Any game i go to now will have the added bonus of the day out included in the reason i am there, i need something to enjoy for making the effort these days.

bigwheel
14-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Why shouldn't there be another Stevenson thread? The majority of my supporters I speak to agree Stevenson tries very hard but is short of the attributes to be recognised as a good spl standard footballer. Sadly it is a sign of the times that through honest endeavour he can offer more than many of our current starters who have hearts the size of a pea e.g. Craig, Harris, handling, robertson, Stanton etc...but let's not kid ourselves. Another who is paceless, one footed and who cannot deliver a decent cross. :confused:

Stevenson IS an SPL standard player...and he has over a couple of hundred games there to show that...For people to say he is all about endeavour with no contribution, frankly I would question their understanding of the game..and as for yesterday, there are many things that could be questioned, but Stevenson's performance should be very very low down that list...

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Stevenson IS an SPL standard player...and he has over a couple of hundred games there to show that...For people to say he is all about endeavour with no contribution, frankly I would question their understanding of the game..and as for yesterday, there are many things that could be questioned, but Stevenson's performance should be very very low down that list...

I have only seen him on the telly this season, but he does the defending part of the game pretty well. He does give the team very little going forward though, his final ball be it a cross or a pass has never been good.

If he is to play, it has to be a defensive position be it in front of the back 4 or left back, but playing left back he does more than most play the ball backwards or sideways slowing things down.

when we have been any good as a team, its been when we have 2 fullbacks who can bomb forward and play, he will never be able to do this.

Lucius Apuleius
14-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Well I know eff all about footballers obviously as I thought Lewis had another good game yesterday.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Well I know eff all about footballers obviously as I thought Lewis had another good game yesterday.

Me too, as did those around me. Opinions I suppose.

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 08:04 AM
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion but please don't suggest that means others don't understand the game. We all know hibs should be a spl side and a top half side as well. Sadly the reason we are not is down to gross mismanagement at board level and poor investment in the playing squad. The fact that Stevenson has played so many games is a sign at how far standards have fallen...a very limited player who would not get a game in any top half spl side

Taz_hibee
14-09-2014, 10:06 AM
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion but please don't suggest that means others don't understand the game. We all know hibs should be a spl side and a top half side as well. Sadly the reason we are not is down to gross mismanagement at board level and poor investment in the playing squad. The fact that Stevenson has played so many games is a sign at how far standards have fallen...a very limited player who would not get a game in any top half spl side

And that's your opinion but like the other person said most fans I know rate him and the fact he has been a starter for every manager we have had in recent years proves he is not the dud you make him out to be.

hibee_girl
14-09-2014, 10:11 AM

He did.

In the first half he was constantly looking to drive us forward, getting into good positions only for his teammates to pass to someone else with 3 Cowdenbeath players around him.

In the 2nd half he stayed back a bit more, maybe because Kennedy offers little support defensively, but as has been said by other posters it was Stevenson's desire to win the ball back that pushed us on

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 11:05 AM
And that's your opinion but like the other person said most fans I know rate him and the fact he has been a starter for every manager we have had in recent years proves he is not the dud you make him out to be.
I would ask you the question would lewis really get a game for any of the following sides; Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Motherwell, Hearts or St Johnstone? If as I suspect the answer is no Stevenson is not of the required standard to get us where we should be:flag:

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 11:14 AM
He did.

In the first half he was constantly looking to drive us forward, getting into good positions only for his teammates to pass to someone else with 3 Cowdenbeath players around him.

In the 2nd half he stayed back a bit more, maybe because Kennedy offers little support defensively, but as has been said by other posters it was Stevenson's desire to win the ball back that pushed us on
So are you suggesting Stevenson is such a threat to the opposition that experienced such as jimmy Nichols are putting three players on him? I can see you rate him but please keep it real.....his inability to never beat a first man with a cross is frightening

B.H.F.C
14-09-2014, 11:17 AM
He did.

He drives forward I agree. Gets in to a lot of good positions but how often does he pick anyone out with a cross. I think we need better in that position. Against teams like Cowdenbeath the full backs will see as much of the ball as anyone, we need an end product when they get in to positions up the park. If Stevenson is playing I'd rather see him as a holding midfielder where he can go and win the ball and give it to players more likely to make something happen.

Ricky Bobby
14-09-2014, 11:22 AM

This myth about poor investment in the playing squad needs to be knocked on the head. look at the SPL table and tell me we are not spending as much as many of these teams. A succession of poor managerial appointments, fuelled by the supporters impatience is closer to the truth in my opinion.

Taz_hibee
14-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I would ask you the question would lewis really get a game for any of the following sides; Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Motherwell, Hearts or St Johnstone? If as I suspect the answer is no Stevenson is not of the required standard to get us where we should be:flag:

You must really be in the know if you are so certain that none of those clubs would take him
The fact is it's irrelevant as Lewis is not available and is a regular starter for Hibs

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 11:23 AM
He drives forward I agree. Gets in to a lot of good positions but how often does he pick anyone out with a cross. I think we need better in that position. Against teams like Cowdenbeath the full backs will see as much of the ball as anyone, we need an end product when they get in to positions up the park. If Stevenson is playing I'd rather see him as a holding midfielder where he can go and win the ball and give it to players more likely to make something happen.
He is a lower league team hod carrier nothing more nothing less. His time with hibs should be up but still gets a game because we are rank rotten

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 11:26 AM
You must really be in the know if you are so certain that none of those clubs would take him
The fact is it's irrelevant as Lewis is not available and is a regular starter for Hibs
I'm fairly surely they wouldn't regardless of his availability....genuinely respect his endeavour but not his ability

Hibbibri
14-09-2014, 11:33 AM
If we had a team of players that showed the heart,drive,attitude and commitment that Stevenson consistently shows then we wouldn't be in the predicament, on the pitch, that we are now IMHO

He's not the most skillful player I've seen and yes, he makes mistakes as we all do, but how many Hibs managers has he played under now, they can't all be in the wrong for selecting him can they?

Just my tuppenceworth
:flag:

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 11:38 AM
If we had a team of players that showed the heart,drive,attitude and commitment that Stevenson consistently shows then we wouldn't be in the predicament, on the pitch, that we are now IMHO

He's not the most skillful player I've seen and yes, he makes mistakes as we all do, but how many Hibs managers has he played under now, they can't all be in the wrong for selecting him can they?

Just my tuppenceworth
:flag:
If however they all had comparable ability to him we would be playing in league 2

hibee_girl
14-09-2014, 11:49 AM
So are you suggesting Stevenson is such a threat to the opposition that experienced such as jimmy Nichols are putting three players on him? I can see you rate him but please keep it real.....his inability to never beat a first man with a cross is frightening

No, I said his teammates passed to someone with 3 players around them INSTEAD of passing to Stevenson

hibee_girl
14-09-2014, 11:50 AM

His crosses might connect with someone if we had more than 1 player in the box

B.H.F.C
14-09-2014, 11:52 AM
His crosses might connect with someone if we had more than 1 player in the box

Or if they beat the first man

Hibbibri
14-09-2014, 12:00 PM
If however they all had comparable ability to him we would be playing in league 2

Is that a Fact or just 'your opinion' :rolleyes:

I'm going to agree to disagree with you on this one bud.

Me, I'd rather have a player in my team who wasn't gifted with a natural skill but who worked very hard for his team and gave 110% than a naturally gifted player who knows it but doesn't work hard for his team/team mates.

Opinions Eh :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
14-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Heffernan and Craig both should have been emptied at the end of the season. Heff is finished and Craig has been embarassingly bad for about 8 months.

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Is that a Fact or just 'your opinion' :rolleyes:

I'm going to agree to disagree with you on this one bud.

Me, I'd rather have a player in my team who wasn't gifted with a natural skill but who worked very hard for his team and gave 110% than a naturally gifted player who knows it but doesn't work hard for his team/team mates.

Opinions Eh :agree:
Is it really so unrealistic to expect both? Happy to leave you with your 'Lewis love-in' ...... At least we both agree he tries hard:confused:

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Or if they beat the first man
They never do that

worcesterhibby
14-09-2014, 01:07 PM

We won

if you don't believe me BH check here What you need to Know (http://www.netbuddy.org.uk/get-tip/hygiene/bed-wetting/)

Hibbibri
14-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Is it really so unrealistic to expect both? Happy to leave you with your 'Lewis love-in' ...... At least we both agree he tries hard:confused:

'Lewis love-in' :confused:

Really, is that your best retort to someones 'opinion' who goes to every single home game and some selected away games, a habit I've had for over 40 years now BTW? Pfffft

Ignore mode on :na na:

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2014, 03:38 PM
We won

if you don't believe me BH check here What you need to Know (http://www.netbuddy.org.uk/get-tip/hygiene/bed-wetting/)

Quality, when Hibs are sitting mid table in the Championship with a minus goal difference and struggling to beat part time clubs, the bedwetter accusations are thrown about.

I despair at just how much sheite our so called supporters will put up with?

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-09-2014, 04:04 PM
What was going on on this thread last night? Don't there's ever been more deleted posts on one thread.

J-C
14-09-2014, 04:21 PM
What was going on on this thread last night? Don't there's ever been more deleted posts on one thread.

A lot of personal stuff mate

MontrealHibs
14-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Living in Canada I wasn't at the game, but listening on the radio I got the sense that Stevenson was playing well. I also think he can offer something in midfield.

Agree Heffernan has never impressed. However, he has never had much of a run (maybe he has never deserved one).

Robertson was kept on while both Allan and Stanton were withdrawn yesterday?

The passengers sound more like a Handling and Stanton from what games I have seen and heard this season...

J-C
14-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Living in Canada I wasn't at the game, but listening on the radio I got the sense that Stevenson was playing well. I also think he can offer something in midfield.

Agree Heffernan has never impressed. However, he has never had much of a run (maybe he has never deserved one).

Robertson was kept on while both Allan and Stanton were withdrawn yesterday?

The passengers sound more like a Handling and Stanton from what games I have seen and heard this season...

Stanton was poor again, he hides when he plays out wide, he has to realise that as an attacking midfielder, he has to play anywhere behind the strikers, if that means out wide then so be it.

Hibbibri
14-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Stanton was poor again, he hides when he plays out wide, he has to realise that as an attacking midfielder, he has to play anywhere behind the strikers, if that means out wide then so be it.

and Robertson was shocking...yet again !!!

cmcd
14-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I agree Stevenson was one of our better players I cant understand the negativity surrounding him I bet his team mates appreciate his efforts Lets not forget he got man of the match ( LCF 2007 ) in a far better team than this one I noticed yesterday he along with Mcgeoch were the only two players willing to run and and try to make things happen then one slack pass and he gets dogs abuse SAD

J-C
14-09-2014, 04:48 PM
and Robertson was shocking...yet again !!!

I thought he was ok 1st half, played deeper and allowed McGeoch ans Allan to go forward but the team came out flat in the 2nd half, my big problem with Robertson is his conditioning, he always runs out of steam around 60 mins and it's like playing with a man short in midfield.

Danderhall Hibs
14-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Just a wee chat about Dnipro.

Hibbibri
14-09-2014, 05:30 PM
I thought he was ok 1st half, played deeper and allowed McGeoch ans Allan to go forward but the team came out flat in the 2nd half, my big problem with Robertson is his conditioning, he always runs out of steam around 60 mins and it's like playing with a man short in midfield.

TBH I didn't even notice he was on the park till the second half JC :doh: :embarrass :whistle:
Second half I did notice but only because he frustrated me by either giving the ball away or fouling :rolleyes:

McGeoch did look good though as did my 'love child' Stevenson :greengrin

emerald green
14-09-2014, 05:54 PM
I have only seen him on the telly this season, but he does the defending part of the game pretty well. He does give the team very little going forward though, his final ball be it a cross or a pass has never been good.

If he is to play, it has to be a defensive position be it in front of the back 4 or left back, but playing left back he does more than most play the ball backwards or sideways slowing things down.

when we have been any good as a team, its been when we have 2 fullbacks who can bomb forward and play, he will never be able to do this.

Like Brownlie & Shades (if only, I wish) or perhaps players like David Murphy or Steven Whittaker relatively more recently.

I don't think Hibs will ever be able to attract players of that standard in the league they are languishing in these days because players like that wouldn't fancy it for starters, and secondly they can easily earn far more money elsewhere in the English leagues. The best we can hope for is to try to develop our own young talent, hold onto them as long as possible, before they move on for more money.

As far as Lewis Stevenson is concerned, he remains an enigma. For every poster on these forums who considers he is hopeless, there's another who says he is the exact opposite.

FWIW, I think he is a wholehearted trier, is better defensively than going forward, but when he does get forward his final ball into the box is frequently poor - just never seems to beat the first defender with his crosses into the box, or not often enough anyway. That's just the impression I've gathered watching Lewis over the last seven or so years. No doubt someone will be along shortly to disagree with me.

J-C
14-09-2014, 06:15 PM
TBH I didn't even notice he was on the park till the second half JC :doh: :embarrass :whistle:
Second half I did notice but only because he frustrated me by either giving the ball away or fouling :rolleyes:

McGeoch did look good though as did my 'love child' Stevenson :greengrin

I think because they had such an easy time of it 1st half, he looked quiet but he was sitting as the DM and all he did was get the ball and give it to Allan or McGeoch. His stamina is a problem as he flags too easily and then their midfield get behind ours.

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Like Brownlie & Shades (if only, I wish) or perhaps players like David Murphy or Steven Whittaker relatively more recently.

I don't think Hibs will ever be able to attract players of that standard in the league they are languishing in these days because players like that wouldn't fancy it for starters, and secondly they can easily earn far more money elsewhere in the English leagues. The best we can hope for is to try to develop our own young talent, hold onto them as long as possible, before they move on for more money.

As far as Lewis Stevenson is concerned, he remains an enigma. For every poster on these forums who considers he is hopeless, there's another who says he is the exact opposite.

FWIW, I think he is a wholehearted trier, is better defensively than going forward, but when he does get forward his final ball into the box is frequently poor - just never seems to beat the first defender with his crosses into the box, or not often enough anyway. That's just the impression I've gathered watching Lewis over the last seven or so years. No doubt someone will be along shortly to disagree with me.

Totally agree lewis......sadly some on here don't believe you have the right to point out his obvious limitations......

Jonnyboy
14-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Totally agree lewis......sadly some on here don't believe you have the right to point out his obvious limitations......

While others s****** when folk point out his obvious qualities

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 07:21 PM
While others s****** when folk point out his obvious qualities
Personally I don't believe any hibs player should be highly praised for simply trying. Praise would follow if he actually have the skillset expected of a professional footballer

Jonnyboy
14-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Personally I don't believe any hibs player should be highly praised for simply trying. Praise would follow if he actually have the skillset expected of a professional footballer

Your view and you've made that clear. I disagree but then it's a game of opinions after all

gillythehibby
14-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Nowt wrong wi Stevenson. Gives his all and never hides and he doesn't actually make major mistakes. He's been used out of position for years because Hibs didn't want to splash out on another David Murphy. He's also seen out other players in that time. People mention limitations, but all teams need players of differing attributes. People talk about his final delivery but the same could be said of our current 2 wingers in Harris and Kennedy. Kennedy likes to beat people but his final ball is lacking at times. If Hibs were spending hundreds of thousands on better players, then maybe Lewis could be questioned. That's not the case right now and Stevenson deserves his place in the team. Lets stop the Stevenson threads. No need for it

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Your view and you've made that clear. I disagree but then it's a game of opinions after all
I respect that. Hopefully his outstanding performances for hibs will lead to the big money move his talents deserve....

Jonnyboy
14-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I respect that. Hopefully his outstanding performances for hibs will lead to the big money move his talents deserve....

Aye, very droll.

Ronniekirk
14-09-2014, 08:11 PM
You know it won't ,as he will get another contract extension and therefore a Testimonial Match for 10 years service to the Club . So you can turn up at that and show your appreciation :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Stevenson has survived, played and performed throughout several management changes footie folk know best. Has served this club since he was 14 and yet still doesn't get the respect he deserves unbelievable.

gillythehibby
14-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Stevenson has survived, played and performed throughout several management changes footie folk know best. Has served this club since he was 14 and yet still doesn't get the respect he deserves unbelievable.

This

bigwheel
14-09-2014, 08:29 PM
I agree Stevenson was one of our better players I cant understand the negativity surrounding him I bet his team mates appreciate his efforts Lets not forget he got man of the match ( LCF 2007 ) in a far better team than this one I noticed yesterday he along with Mcgeoch were the only two players willing to run and and try to make things happen then one slack pass and he gets dogs abuse SAD

Exactly ! Agreed ...how anyone can be highlighting Stevenson, who was our best defender yesterday amazes me....

TrinityHibby
14-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Exactly ! Agreed ...how anyone can be highlighting Stevenson, who was our best defender yesterday amazes me....
Sorry mrs Stevenson didn't mean to make your laddie greet .......hope he grows a pair soon

FranckSuzy
14-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Sorry mrs Stevenson didn't mean to make your laddie greet .......hope he grows a pair soon

OK, we get it, you don't rate him. There's no need for all the sarky comments though.....

pedroorange1875
14-09-2014, 11:58 PM
I never started this as a bash Stevenson thread he is just not the quality we need.

Paul Hanlon is just as bad and falls into the same category

truehibernian
15-09-2014, 01:09 AM

Great wee player, true professional, Saturday yet again never ever hid, always wanting the ball, right up to the last minutes.........doesn't matter what anyone says, there are a few players at Hibs that quite simply could not lace the wee man's boots in terms of workrate, skill, professionalism and ability......he is actually a far far more accomplished footballer, and I stress the word 'footballer', than most on here give him credit for...........love the wee fella :aok:

TrinityHibby
15-09-2014, 06:13 AM
Great wee player, true professional, Saturday yet again never ever hid, always wanting the ball, right up to the last minutes.........doesn't matter what anyone says, there are a few players at Hibs that quite simply could not lace the wee man's boots in terms of workrate, skill, professionalism and ability......he is actually a far far more accomplished footballer, and I stress the word 'footballer', than most on here give him credit for...........love the wee fella :aok:
I hope your hangover is not too awful today.........you were clearly drunk or deluded when you wrote this.......over and out

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2014, 06:56 AM
I hope your hangover is not too awful today.........you were clearly drunk or deluded when you wrote this.......over and out

You quite clearly don't rate Stevenson that highly but to state a guy that is rated by so many Hibs managers doesn't have the skill set of a professional footballer is ludicrous. I suggest you have the skill set of a ..........................no I better not! :aok:

bigwheel
15-09-2014, 07:33 AM
You quite clearly don't rate Stevenson that highly but to state a guy that is rated by so many Hibs managers doesn't have the skill set of a professional footballer is ludicrous. I suggest you have the skill set of a ..........................no I better not! :aok:

I wouldn't bother mate , I'm guessing Stevenson nicked his girlfriend .....

MSK
15-09-2014, 08:24 AM
I hope your hangover is not too awful today.........you were clearly drunk or deluded when you wrote this.......over and outHow about you discuss the thread topic & cut out the sarcasm towards folk who disagree with you ..

Deansy
15-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Nowt wrong wi Stevenson. Gives his all and never hides and he doesn't actually make major mistakes. He's been used out of position for years because Hibs didn't want to splash out on another David Murphy. He's also seen out other players in that time. People mention limitations, but all teams need players of differing attributes. People talk about his final delivery but the same could be said of our current 2 wingers in Harris and Kennedy. Kennedy likes to beat people but his final ball is lacking at times. If Hibs were spending hundreds of thousands on better players, then maybe Lewis could be questioned. That's not the case right now and Stevenson deserves his place in the team. Lets stop the Stevenson threads. No need for it

Spot-on - far better in midfield, as it showed when TB played him there for a spell when he first arrived. Apart from that, Lewis is THE man - lose him and we lose the only player at ER who can spell 'Loyalty' !

RIP
15-09-2014, 09:53 AM

You're clearly struggling bud why don't you quit while you are behind

jacomo
15-09-2014, 09:55 AM

Perhaps you could leave observations on how we are playing to those who are actually watching the games? Otherwise this is just petty and pointless sniping.

Everyone knows what the problems are - it appears though that we might actually have found a manager - sorry, Head Coach - who prioritises possession and playing football, which is certainly a turnaround from the last three.

Hibbibri
15-09-2014, 11:52 AM
How about you discuss the thread topic & cut out the sarcasm towards folk who disagree with you ..

Or do what I said and just ignore him :aok:

Far far to negative for my liking and comes accross as a cyber bully quoting 'love ins' and sarcasm if you dare to have the audacity to disagree with him/her :boo hoo:

Hamish
15-09-2014, 05:55 PM
If Lewis was released, there would be at least 3 or 4 SPL clubs who would be interested in my opinion

mmmmhibby
15-09-2014, 09:07 PM
If Lewis was released, there would be at least 3 or 4 SPL clubs who would be interested in my opinion

We need better quality than LS if we want to progress. Last year of his contract anaw, so you may well see him next year at another SPL/SPL1 club if stubbs releases him.

Eyrie
15-09-2014, 09:37 PM
We need better quality than LS if we want to progress. Last year of his contract anaw, so you may well see him next year at another SPL/SPL1 club if stubbs releases him.
You can say that about every player at the club, but there are plenty I'd look to upgrade before Stevenson.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Lazy comment.

and yes I'm being ironic...

Viva_Palmeiras
16-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Something that's obviously been overlooked by every manager since JC...

theres nothing the the boy can do to get folks off his back apart from leave and there's the retro thread following players. I find this aspect one of the most tedious about following Hibs in the internet age. It would help if you knew who you are dealing with half the time - at least in the pub you can spot and avoid the slaverers and I've yet to come across a yam pretending to be a Hibby but maybe I don't get out enough ;)

TrinityHibs
16-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Can I just make it clear that I am not Trinityhibby as that boy has clearly never been to a Hibs match. Lewis played reasonably well on Saturday and has probably been our most consistent performer for seasons. Hanlon was not at his best, Heffernan did nothing and Stanton struggled. We still lack pace and movement and lack a real goalscorer. Playing 1 up front, against Cowdenbeath, with no breaking midfielders is not how I would set the team up but we won so only 7 points behind the champions league challengers now.

SanFranHibs
16-09-2014, 08:10 AM

Agreed. We should acknowledge their effort but if effort is the greater part of what they bring then they are not good enough. We all know that players skillsets are different and each position has varied requirements and of course managers strategies and game circumstances demand adjustments but all the effort in the world without a good skill level will be exposed.

One poster said Stevenson is an 'enigma'. Code for inconsistent? Even allowing for the level we are now playing we do seem to have a few players left over from last season who consistently split the fans. Hanlon, Harris, Stevenson, Robertson and Craig. Elgar would have a field day!

But we do have one player from last season who does unite the fans....Heffernan! :wink:

Nutmegged
16-09-2014, 08:26 AM
The problem at Hibs is that we needed such a major clear out it was always going to be impossible to do it in one go, I think there was such a black cloud hanging over th4 club that almost every player could have been effected by it, good players became average, average looked poor, poor players got distinctively worse, there was the exceptions over the last four years, Stokes, Liam Miller, Leigh Griffiths and Claros being the obvious but the negativity surrounding the club swallowed up almost every player to the extent I'm not sure guys like Stevenson and Hanlon can come through the other side in a Hibs Jersey.

I rate Hanlon and believe alongside a Rob Jones type of CB (Stephen McManus would have been ideal last Summer) he could have been a big player for us but I'm not so sure Hibs is the place for him to prosper, same with Lewis, he's not a brilliant footballer but I feel he's very competent at Premiership level and would be a very decent regular player for about 8 of the 12 Premiership clubs - again though I just don't know if the contstant negativity hanging over the club will ever see him reach a level at Hibs where people will accept him again.

I've felt from the start it'll take us 2 years to get back to the Premiership, in that time I'm hoping that Alan Stubbs can totally reshape the squad completely and when we do get back to the top their will be genuine optimism and a feel good factor around the club.

J-C
16-09-2014, 09:55 AM
The problem with Stevenson is he's adaptable and can play in a variety of positions, he's a natural midfielder but due to him able to play at LB, it's an easy option for managers to consistantly play him there.