PDA

View Full Version : Match travel info - Road closures

SouthMoroccoStu
13-09-2014, 07:41 AM
For the fans traveling to the match today

Link (http://news.stv.tv/east-central/291661-road-closures-put-in-place-for-orange-orders-edinburgh-march/)

Road closures are being put in place for the Orange Order’s pro-Union march in Edinburgh this weekend.

:rolleyes:

Several main roads will be closed between 10.30am and 2pm on Saturday, including the Mound, George IV Bridge, Market Street, Jeffrey Street, Forrest Road and Canongate.

Abbeyhill will be closed until 3pm between Canongate and Croft an Righ.

Thanks Edinburgh Council - looking out for us as always

Pretty Boy
13-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Would be a real shame if there was a massive structural failure on George IV Bridge today just as the march was passing over.

Hibs90
13-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Would be a real shame if there was a massive sttuctural failure on George IV Bridge today just as the march was passing over.

Honestly what idiots allowed this to happen?

SouthMoroccoStu
13-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Letting either side (yes or better together) March the Saturday before the election is questionable at best

But allowing a pro union orange march is just bat crazy

I'm sure these knuckle draggers don't represent the majority of no voters

But this "show" will certainly help the yes campaign and sway some undecided

Www1875hfc
13-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Honestly what idiots allowed this to happen?

Unbelievable, after what happened last year,do the police never learn?

Hope the Mobs from Millwall and Chelsea enjoy the Capitals hospitality,and enjoy the scenery. :aok:

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 08:56 AM
So the ordinary, law abiding people of Edinburgh are inconvenienced for the sake of a bunch of bigoted neanderthals?

Fantastic, isn't it. Maybe after a Yes vote the OO will wither away (maybe wishfull thinking but you never know).

Stax
13-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Sun shining, town already full of bigoted cretins drinking. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
13-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Odds on the front page of one of tomorrows Sunday paper (probably the Scotland on Sunday) having some old bigoted erse with blood pouring from his head and 'WHY?' as a headline?

cabbageandribs1875
13-09-2014, 09:06 AM
hopefully the sectarian bigots have a 4-hour silence for that bigot that passed away, 21st century Scotland ppfftt

SouthMoroccoStu
13-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Sun shining, town already full of bigoted cretins drinking. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

Oh joy :rolleyes:

Just when I need to go into the town

They should certainly not be allowed to drink

Hibby70
13-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Just been in town. Place is like a scene from The Croods. I'd be amazed if this goes off without any major trouble.

What idiot made this decision and who pays the police costs?

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Odds on the front page of one of tomorrows Sunday paper (probably the Scotland on Sunday) having some old bigoted erse with blood pouring from his head and 'WHY?' as a headline?

20,000 Bigots, singing sectarian songs, acting like morons and drinking in the streets. One gets thumped on the head and tomorrows headline, with accompanying blood spattered Orc photo,

....."Yes campaigners run rampage in Edinburgh"

ruthven_raiders
13-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Usually go thru queens park and pass the parliament to get to Easter road, so will the road closures block this route? What is the best alternatives?

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Usually go thru queens park and pass the parliament to get to Easter road, so will the road closures block this route? What is the best alternatives?

Looks like it will.
-------------------

From the link.....

"Several main roads will be closed between 10.30am and 2pm on Saturday, including the Mound, George IV Bridge, Market Street, Jeffrey Street, Forrest Road and Canongate.

Abbeyhill will be closed until 3pm between Canongate and Croft an Righ."

ruthven_raiders
13-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Looks like it will.
-------------------

From the link.....

"Several main roads will be closed between 10.30am and 2pm on Saturday, including the Mound, George IV Bridge, Market Street, Jeffrey Street, Forrest Road and Canongate.

Abbeyhill will be closed until 3pm between Canongate and Croft an Righ."

So straight thru Holyrood park towards meadowbank to avoid abbeyhill.

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 09:51 AM
So straight thru Holyrood park towards meadowbank to avoid abbeyhill.

Sounds about right.

ruthven_raiders
13-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Its funny that it always seems to be a hibs game when these marches are on!

Betty Boop
13-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Roads shut off from 10-30 just managed to get down the road by the skin of my teeth.

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 09:57 AM

They can't have the marches on when Hearts are at home.

Think of the dilemna for the poor Yams....Go to the Match or Go to the March?

Phil D. Rolls
13-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Link (http://news.stv.tv/east-central/291661-road-closures-put-in-place-for-orange-orders-edinburgh-march/)

Road closures are being put in place for the Orange Order’s pro-Union march in Edinburgh this weekend.

Several main roads will be closed between 10.30am and 2pm on Saturday, including the Mound, George IV Bridge, Market Street, Jeffrey Street, Forrest Road and Canongate.

No fan of the council, but are you suggesting they should have left roads open? Think of the scenes if a car full of Hibs supporters was to inadvertently try to get up the same streets as the marchers.

SanFranHibs
13-09-2014, 10:01 AM
They can't have the marches on when Hearts are at home.

Think of the dilemna for the poor Yams....Go to the Match or Go to the March?

I am delighted they are marching. Might just piss a few don't know's off enough to vote YES!

:saltireflag

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 10:02 AM
No fan of the council, but are you suggesting they should have left roads open? Think of the scenes if a car full of Hibs supporters was to inadvertently try to get up the same streets as the marchers.

I'm sure it's just a complaint in general about the inconvenience to law abiding Edinburghers just for the benefit of thse neanderthals.

Personally, I would have told them to go march in some field in West Lothian or Lanarkshire.

Phil D. Rolls
13-09-2014, 10:03 AM
I am delighted they are marching. Might just piss a few don't know's off enough to vote YES!

If the BBC gives the march the prominence it deserves, it could swing the referendum. Most people despise the Orange Order.

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 10:05 AM
If the BBC gives the march the prominence it deserves, it could swing the referendum. Most people despise the Orange Order.

Lets hope so. I'd have live coverage from every street corner and Pub on the route. It would certainly open some people's eyes.

Phil D. Rolls
13-09-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm sure it's just a complaint in general about the inconvenience to law abiding Edinburghers just for the benefit of thse neanderthals.

Personally, I would have told them to go march in some field in West Lothian or Lanarkshire.

Some people might say the same thing about roads being closed for football matches.

Regrettaby there is traffic chaos every time these little men come to town, which is exactly what they want.

SanFranHibs
13-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Good point except I think the strictly impartial on behalf of the Conservative Party BBC may just ignore this one!

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Some people might say the same thing about roads being closed for football matches.

Regrettaby there is traffic chaos every time these little men come to town, which is exactly what they want.

Perhaps, but how many roads are closed for the game at ER today and how many for the Neanderthal Walk?

John_the_angus_hibby
13-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Grrrrrrr PETRIE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Harp
13-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Would be a real shame if there was a massive structural failure on George IV Bridge today just as the march was passing over.

Yeah, I'd raise a glass to that, providing the good people in the Cowgate below were safe.:wink:
Another smart decision by the Council allowing this rabble to demonstrate in the city. Especially as it's expected to finish around 2 o'clock on Regent Road, when Hibs fans will be making their way to ER.
As stated on another post, it will most likely give a boost to the Yes campaign.

Pretty Boy
13-09-2014, 10:20 AM
At the end of the day if people want to march about in ridiculous costumes getting all worked up and angry whilst anyone with an ounce of sense just laughs then that's fair enough.

But thousands of them through the city centre on a busy Saturday when there is already a football match attracting similar numbers arranged? Madness. They could have had it tomorrow but they will probably all be at the kirk......

Can we not arrange these things in a field in the middle of nowhere?

Phil D. Rolls
13-09-2014, 10:25 AM
At the end of the day if people want to march about in ridiculous costumes getting all worked up and angry whilst anyone with an ounce of sense just laughs then that's fair enough.

But thousands of them through the city centre on a busy Saturday when there is already a football match attracting similar numbers arranged? Madness. They could have had it tomorrow but they will probably all be at the kirk......

It's all about causing as much disruption, and getting as much attention as they can.

FranckSuzy
13-09-2014, 10:25 AM

:agree:

It makes the farcical decision to change our k.o. time last season because the rugby was on at Murrayfield even more stupid when this is allowed to go ahead :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2014, 10:28 AM
It's all about causing as much disruption, and getting as much attention as they can.

For me it's all about the council allowing it in the first place, there was no football in Edinburgh last week, should have had it then if they insist on allowing it at all.

cabbageandribs1875
13-09-2014, 10:40 AM

or even Munich :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
13-09-2014, 10:45 AM
For me it's all about the council allowing it in the first place, there was no football in Edinburgh last week, should have had it then if they insist on allowing it at all.

Theyve allowed them to march when there's football on in the past. The fact is, the 8,000 or so going to Easter Road, are hardly unmanageable. Otherwise, the football could be moved to a Sunday.

xyz23jc
13-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Good point except I think the strictly impartial on behalf of the Conservative Party BBC may just ignore this one!

Just like Catalonia National day yesterday! Strange..... ; 0

Betty Boop
13-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Sky News certainly giving the march plenty of coverage, top story .

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 11:26 AM
or even Munich :agree:

I'm sure it would be heartily welcomed by the largely Roman Catholic citizens of Munich. Especially as the OO constantly claim they are not a bigoted organisation.

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Theyve allowed them to march when there's football on in the past. The fact is, the 8,000 or so going to Easter Road, are hardly unmanageable. Otherwise, the football could be moved to a Sunday.

Today is Pat Stanton's birthday. The club have made thousnds of free tickets available. There'll be be between 12-14,000 at today's game.

GordonR
13-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Already heard about someone being assaulted by one of the sash brigade in Fleshmarket Close this morning, for the crime of wearing a Yes badge.

Be careful out there today, Hibbies.

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Already heard about someone being assaulted by one of the sash brigade in Fleshmarket Close this morning, for the crime of wearing a Yes badge.

Be careful out there today, Hibbies.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's repeated a number of times today.

You can be sure the MSM will report it as "Yes Supporters go on rampage".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote Yes to get rid of the Orange Order!

kaimendhibs
13-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Must just be a huge coincidence the sevco game was shifted to the Friday night....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
13-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Spoke to a couple of folk from the Greens who were just leaving a counter protest.

Said for the most part it was peaceful. It's the hangers on in the boozer later that will be the problem.

Keith_M
13-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Spoke to a couple of folk from the Greens who were just leaving a counter protest.

Said for the most part it was peaceful. It's the hangers on in the boozer later that will be the problem.

It's gonna be Pwopah Nawty!

SteveHFC
13-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Passed quite a lot buses coming in fillied with them.

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2014, 03:00 PM

So they've got it wrong before too!

NOLA
13-09-2014, 03:08 PM
hertz dont want the march to impact on their attendances so its always when hibs are at home :wink:

Ronniekirk
13-09-2014, 08:23 PM
hertz dont want the march to impact on their attendances so its always when hibs are at home :wink:
Wouldn't impact on repotted attendance as they just make it up anyway .

Hibby70
13-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Can still hear the police chopper out there.

Danderhall Hibs
13-09-2014, 11:11 PM
They had closed the road over from craigmillar to the lady nairne as well. Not for marching but roadworks.

Right pain in the arse.

hibby6270
14-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Cheeky!! :wink::agree::greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2014, 07:03 AM
I take it the march and subsequent dispersal went off pretty peacefully then? The only thing I saw was some wee knob of around 14/15 in a stone island jacket facing up to a coach in traffic, abusing it and giving it the "come on then" with 3 of his mates putting on their best look at us we're hard faces to back him up :faf: