PDA

View Full Version : NHC St Johnstone fined - Palestine flag

R11Loaded
09-09-2014, 01:13 PM
http://bbc.in/1rAeOzY

Could ourself and Celtic be fined? With rangers fined for flying an Israel flag?

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Off the bar
09-09-2014, 01:21 PM
http://bbc.in/1rAeOzY

Could ourself and Celtic be fined? With rangers fined for flying an Israel flag?

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

we'd need to get into Europe before we could be fined!

regards the flag fine I think it's over the top, football is'nt the arena for political debate, but fining a club for the fans waving a flag does'nt seem right to me. Where do you stop it? If they had a Palestinian player could you wave their flag?

LancashireHibby
09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Did anyone ever report the Israeli flag incident at TRFC this season?

Celtc must be due an infinite fine for their political stuff of recent years, never mind the Palestinian flags.

NAE NOOKIE
09-09-2014, 03:25 PM
UEFA have rules about flags and stuff .... fair enough.

To fine a club like St Johnstone with no previous and who havnt got a pot to piss in 18,000 Euros shows just how out of touch they are with reality outwith their precious bloody so called champions league.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-09-2014, 05:06 PM

To fine a club like St Johnstone with no previous and who havnt got a pot to piss in 18,000 Euros shows just how out of touch they are with reality outwith their precious bloody so called champions league.

Presumably right of appeal and reduced to a suspended sentence?

Sir David Gray
09-09-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm far from being a champion of the Palestinian cause, as anyone who frequents the Holy Ground will know.

However to receive a fine for flying a national flag is absurd. Palestine is a member of FIFA so I'm not entirely sure what rule is being broken by flying their flag.

I just wonder if the person waving the flag was also reported for shouting something of a discriminatory nature. That's the only thing I can think of.

If not then St Johnstone should take this as far as they can.

green&left
09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm far from being a champion of the Palestinian cause, as anyone who frequents the Holy Ground will know.

However to receive a fine for flying a national flag is absurd. Palestine is a member of FIFA so I'm not entirely sure what rule is being broken by flying their flag.

I just wonder if the person waving the flag was also reported for shouting something of a discriminatory nature. That's the only thing I can think of.

If not then St Johnstone should take this as far as they can.

Celtic and Dundalk got the same fine for the same thing. Farce.

CRAZYHIBBY
09-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Its only a flag....why give the morons the publicity

Glorious St Pat
09-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Wtf? Who are the morons here? If you mean the Palestinians well your recollection of history and current events are somewhat iffy!

Canongatehibs
09-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Bloody hell.

Fined for waving a just and sovereign flag?

The world's gone truly MAD.

Canongatehibs
09-09-2014, 09:14 PM

CRAZY hibby indeed.

jacomo
09-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Sorry but it's not fine. Fans should have the right to make any kind of statement they like, so long as not threatening or abusive.

This goes for the Huns as well by the way. I don't see how any club can get punished because some fans want to wave a national flag.

Whether or not they should do is a matter for discussion... But UEFA can **** ***.

neilmartinrocks
10-09-2014, 01:23 AM
And as it turns out they were Celtc "fans" couple of young lads in with their mates.
Saints were already on a warning for the pitch invasion at the end of the Lucerne game.
18k is a joke for a tiny flag with nothing written on it. Fair enough if it was provocative/abusive but it was a small Palestinian flag being waved by kid.

H18Y GW
10-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Ive noticed a few have said "its only a flag" yet denounced Der Hun for the Israeli flag :rolleyes:

Ask yourself,why are any of the flags there ??

Up the Ra ***** and The Sash nonsense get roundly booed at ER,so why sides on this ???

Calum68
10-09-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm assuming Rangers would be fined for waving the Union flag if Scotland becomes independent? Surely the same principles must apply.

green&left
10-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm assuming Rangers would be fined for waving the Union flag if Scotland becomes independent? Surely the same principles must apply.

You could say the same with anyone waving the union flag just now? The reason Uefa gave I believe is because there was an ongoing conflict between Israel and Palestine. With that reasoning, they'd have to fine anyone waving the union flag and Russian and Ukrainian flags too.

Porto got a lesser fine for making monkey noises at Balotelli a few years back.

green&left
10-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Ive noticed a few have said "its only a flag" yet denounced Der Hun for the Israeli flag :rolleyes:

Up the Ra ***** and The Sash nonsense get roundly booed at ER,so why sides on this ???

For non-huns, politcal and showing support to a nation/political cause. Or you suggesting that when Stirling Albion hang a Palestine flag in their end it was a purely vile sectarian act?

For huns, because they are bitter bitter hateful barstewards for some reason.

jacomo
10-09-2014, 09:42 AM

It's absolutely fine to criticise Rangers fans for waving Israeli flags. On the most part, they are cynically exploiting a situation they know little about.

But UEFA fines? Give me a break.

NAE NOOKIE
10-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Sorry but it's not fine. Fans should have the right to make any kind of statement they like, so long as not threatening or abusive.

This goes for the Huns as well by the way. I don't see how any club can get punished because some fans want to wave a national flag.

Whether or not they should do is a matter for discussion... But UEFA can **** ***.

I wasn't saying I approved of the rule as such Jacomo, just acknowledging its existence for the purpose of the rest of my post.

Keith_M
10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
:saltireflag

Scott Allan Key
10-09-2014, 11:07 AM
:saltireflag

One million pounds please (in used Scottish notes) please.

Keith_M
10-09-2014, 11:27 AM
So anyone that wants to inflict Financial Pain on a rival club just needs to turn up at one of their European Games with a Flag or Banner that is currently out of favour with UEFA.

Sounds a bit unfair to me.

Keith_M
10-09-2014, 11:28 AM
One million pounds please (in used Scottish notes) please.

Scottish Pounds or Pounds Sterling?

:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
10-09-2014, 12:29 PM

everyone knows The Rangers don't pay fines anyway

JimBHibees
10-09-2014, 12:45 PM
The fine seems in excess of when fans are found guilty of racist incidents which is appalling and says everything about UEFA.

LeithBoozy
10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
The last flag I had at ER had yogi and Casper the ghost on it, I am pleased to report that neither Hibs or I have been fined anything yet. :wink:

Keith_M
10-09-2014, 01:36 PM
The last flag I had at ER had yogi and Casper the ghost on it, I am pleased to report that neither Hibs or I have been fined anything yet. :wink:

Ah, but if somebody in the other end had a Ghostbusters Flag it could have been considered to be incitement.

:wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
10-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Wtf? Who are the morons here? If you mean the Palestinians well your recollection of history and current events are somewhat iffy!

I never read the post correctly.... The morons i was refering to were a group of youths who burnt a flag of some description in the town centre on saturday night...there was some carry on and a few got detained....i just thought it was something to do with that.

southsider
10-09-2014, 08:33 PM
I never read the post correctly.... The morons i was refering to were a group of youths who burnt a flag of some description in the town centre on saturday night...there was some carry on and a few got detained....i just thought it was something to do with that.
People who feel strongly enough about ANY political cause are not morons they are expressing the right of free speech that is oppressed in many other countries around the world. We need to high-light the oppressed peoples when ever we can. That is a political way of thinking for some of us but not others. If Scotland becomes indepe it may mean we will not support the murderous Uk backed govenments.

nonshinyfinish
10-09-2014, 08:36 PM
The idea that flying the flag of any country breaches a UEFA rule is insane.

Pish like this only serves to undermine their broadly creditable stance on racism and homophobia.