PDA

View Full Version : I am seriously worried about the future of Hibs

GreenCastle
08-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Not a drama queen post but..

After speaking with a few contacts over the last few weeks I am still seriously worried about the direction the club is going.

Like many I had hoped LD and Stubbs would be the ones who will turn things around but from what I am hearing we as fans we are in for another rough ride.

People I respect and who have met LD get the sense she is full of lots of talk without any full substance.

Yes there have been changes but changes which were due several years ago by those running the club.

Nearly every thread now is about giving LD time to get things right - but what has actually happened is LD is becoming the mouthpiece and taking all the front line flack for the mess that occurred over the last few years while being tasked to try and fix it..without the full resources.

We have become even more tight than previous years wth playing budget and this nonsense about quality over quantity is the line the fans have been given to suck and swallow. There are very players at ER currently who I get excited to go and watch. I know this is due to where we are and budget but we can't seriously expect to get into top 4 / let alone promoted with this lot ?

The club owners and previous years lack of leadership has led to where we are now and so many fans are fed up / stopped going / stopped putting funds into the club and even stopped supporting the club as they don't trust those running it.

This is going to continue until serious changes are made higher up. Fans aren't going to trust the club until action happens and that means winning games and change of leadership.

I am not jus thinking about this year - it's future supporters / Edinbugh football fans and current Hibs fans. Fail to change leadership at the top will keep people away and that's not currently a small number.

I worry about the future of where we are going and I can't see anytime soon it improving. People say we have hit rock bottom - I don't think we have and will keep struggling till change happens.

Franck Stanton
08-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Nope, think you are wrong, LD has a proven record, Stubbs, whilst it has only been a matter of weeks he has been here is doing a good job, he has identified our problem areas and taken steps to address the situation. [How many years have we gone without a right back /] Most supporters prior to his appointment stated we needed strengthening right down our spine, Stubbs saw that as well and has signed players to do so, [we can all argue we need more but given the financial constraints he is working wonders, so far, and no I am not happy with the results so far, but the team will click and go on a winning rum, have faith]. The major problem at Ester Road is PETRIE and has been for years, - get rid of him and watch our Club flourish.

BSEJVT
08-09-2014, 05:21 PM

After speaking with a few contacts over the last few weeks I am still seriously worried about the direction the club is going.

Like many I had hoped LD and Stubbs would be the ones who will turn things around but from what I am hearing we as fans we are in for another rough ride.

People I respect and who have met LD get the sense she is full of lots of talk without any full substance.

Yes there have been changes but changes which were due several years ago by those running the club.

Nearly every thread now is about giving LD time to get things right - but what has actually happened is LD is becoming the mouthpiece and taking all the front line flack for the mess that occurred over the last few years while being tasked to try and fix it..without the full resources.

We have become even more tight than previous years wth playing budget and this nonsense about quality over quantity is the line the fans have been given to suck and swallow. There are very players at ER currently who I get excited to go and watch. I know this is due to where we are and budget but we can't seriously expect to get into top 4 / let alone promoted with this lot ?

The club owners and previous years lack of leadership has led to where we are now and so many fans are fed up / stopped going / stopped putting funds into the club and even stopped supporting the club as they don't trust those running it.

This is going to continue until serious changes are made higher up. Fans aren't going to trust the club until action happens and that means winning games and change of leadership.

I am not jus thinking about this year - it's future supporters / Edinbugh football fans and current Hibs fans. Fail to change leadership at the top will keep people away and that's not currently a small number.

I worry about the future of where we are going and I can't see anytime soon it improving. People say we have hit rock bottom - I don't think we have and will keep struggling till change happens.

Good for you getting it off your chest, but its hardly front page news.

You could pick any day in the last 5 years and find a similar thread.

Probably some of them started by me!

Our biggest danger is that we allow all our natural concerns to become self fulfilling prophecies.

I don't see ownership change anytime soon, so the question then becomes are we going to sit around waiting for the sky to fall in and egg each other on in an ever increasing round of misery or are we going to try getting behind the club again, albeit with some fairly heavy reservations.

It seems to me after 5 years of the former we should have a go at the latter?

If we don't your prophecy will indeed come true and it will be a bigger hole we are digging ourselves out of than the one we are currently in

GreenCastle
08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Good for you getting it off your chest, but its hardly front page news.

You could pick any day in the last 5 years and find a similar thread.

Probably some of them started by me!

Our biggest danger is that we allow all our natural concerns to become self fulfilling prophecies.

I don't see ownership change anytime soon, so the question then becomes are we going to sit around waiting for the sky to fall in and egg each other on in an ever increasing round of misery or are we going to try getting behind the club again, albeit with some fairly heavy reservations.

It seems to me after 5 years of the former we should have a go at the latter?

If we don't your prophecy will indeed come true and it will be a bigger hole we are digging ourselves out of than the one we are currently in

Fair point about words versus action.

I attended the rally at the end of last season. I know guys working being the scenes trying to make change happen but it's very difficult. The current regime are very hard to deal with and the dictatorship is harming the club.

This is not the fans fault - so many posts arguing with other posters - we are all ripping the soul out of each other and the fun part of following a team.

My worry is there are still people falling for the nonsense being spoken about - it's a very big smokescreen and the sooner change happens the better.

DC_Hibs
08-09-2014, 05:40 PM

So because she has changed things that were not changed previously it's less of an achievement................

I'm far from impressed with her mostly based on our on field achievements which is number one my list of priorities.

Unfortunately we lined up with 8 relegation cowards in the starting line up against the Saviles and we are currently 9 points behind those pervs as a result of not having the majority of our much needed new signings in place early enough.

I thought our preparation for Malmo was bad but this season we (Dempo & Craig) learned nothing it seems.

Before anyone starts, I didn't want them to rush out and panic buy and I know some of the players were not available until the end of the window BUT the line up at the Saviledome and our 4 league games would suggest we performed miserably in the early part of the window.

I reckon if we added a central midfielder with a bit of dig and an ability to pass the ball to the attacking players then we are in not bad shape now and we will comfortably make top 4 and a winning spell could get us near those despicable Gorgie sl@gs.

Cheerio now.

Bronson
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
These threads are incredibly tiresome. Every day there's a new one regurgitating the same depressing sh*te.

It's not a good time to be a hibby but the hard times make the good all the sweeter.

Trust me, that Scottish Cup win will be euphoric when it comes.

Carheenlea
08-09-2014, 06:22 PM
It is very disrespectful to label Leeann Dempster simply a "mouthpiece".

whiskyhibby
08-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Not a drama queen ........really?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

percy veer
08-09-2014, 06:24 PM
These threads are incredibly tiresome. Every day there's a new one regurgitating the same depressing sh*te.

It's not a good time to be a hibby but the hard times make the good all the sweeter.

This is is getting tiresome aswell, how many generations have said this, while the likes of killie and st j have actually done this, I am in total agreement with the poster as we are losing a generation of fans who will take the easy option and pick a team that wins some games, I mean I am only asking for 2 derby wins in a row no much.

scoopyboy
08-09-2014, 06:28 PM
This is is getting tiresome aswell, how many generations have said this, while the likes of killie and st j have actually done this, I am in total agreement with the poster as we are losing a generation of fans who will take the easy option and pick a team that wins some games, I mean I am only asking for 2 derby wins in a row no much.

One would do me for starters.

scoopyboy
08-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Strange, I'm hearing the opposite.

Iain G
08-09-2014, 06:32 PM
I feel quite positive that the structure being put in place behind the scenes will stand us in good stead in the future. The focus on restructuring academy functions and somewhat isolating that from any future changes in head coach will lead to some consistancy.

NW
08-09-2014, 06:57 PM

What are you hearing?

SquashedFrogg
08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
It is very disrespectful to label Leeann Dempster simply a "mouthpiece".

Agreed. This is a huge undertaking to transform our club. It won't happen overnight or indeed in a few months.

We have to be patient. I know this isn't easy for some but for me I see a sea of change happening.

I've seen more progress off the pitch in the last 3 months than in the last 5 years.

It's like watching a house being re-built - you want to see the fancy light fittings installed and the new turf put down on the lawn but for a large part of the project it's about laying the foundations and sorting the bits that no-one sees.

A "quick fix" isn't what's required here. It's a complete re-build from top to bottom.

All IMHO of course...

SquashedFrogg
08-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I feel quite positive that the structure being put in place behind the scenes will stand us in good stead in the future. The focus on restructuring academy functions and somewhat isolating that from any future changes in head coach will lead to some consistancy.

:agree:

Big picture is the priority here. For years we've known the club has a rotten core. We're now addressing that.

Tom Hart RIP
08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Under Yogi we were regularly getting 12-13,000 for cat B games.
Calderwood lost us almost 4,000 fans and a fair number have not returned.
The club must know who these fans are so should concentrate on doing whatever it takes to get them back. If this means dishing out free tickets for a few games, no strings attached then do so.
I appreciate that some st holders might get annoyed as they have continued to support the club through the bad times, but I would accept this for the greater good.
Just a thought.

weonlywon6-2
08-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Nope, think you are wrong, LD has a proven record, Stubbs, whilst it has only been a matter of weeks he has been here is doing a good job, he has identified our problem areas and taken steps to address the situation. [How many years have we gone without a right back /] Most supporters prior to his appointment stated we needed strengthening right down our spine, Stubbs saw that as well and has signed players to do so, [we can all argue we need more but given the financial constraints he is working wonders, so far, and no I am not happy with the results so far, but the team will click and go on a winning rum, have faith]. The major problem at Ester Road is PETRIE and has been for years, - get rid of him and watch our Club flourish.

After all the.years of sliding down the hill your statement at the end sumsit all up,Petrie.I have supported him in the past but it is time.to move on.
He seems quite happy to sit back and let a once proud team dwindle.away

greenpaper55
08-09-2014, 07:51 PM
If we could string a few wins together it would change the whole atmosphere on here , lets hope that starts on Saturday.

Ronniekirk
08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
There are so many threads about negative issues .i know The Cat posted recently there were things going to come out soon that would throw some light on internal workings that may be bad news .
But until that news breaks I am trying to focus on our game on Saturday and Pats Birthday ,seeing new players in action ,hopefully a positive reaction from players to Stubbs and back to performance creating chances but taking more than our fair share .
If that doesn't Materialise no doubt I will be contributing negative comments to numerous threads ,but in the meantime I am staying upbeat ,as all this negativity is starting to spread and lots of people I know who support other clubs are commenting on it as they take an interest in other clubs fans forums etc .I am by nature a glass half empty person so when I tell them there is too much negativity even for me they reply Geeze it must be bad . So unless Pat personally uses his Birthday to take centre stage and call for change then let's focus this week on more positive threads Surely there must be some good news ,it's so easy just now to come on and knock the club but we have had the consultation events and we know work is ongoing and the magnitude of change being undertaken sadly can't be achieved in a few months .

Jonnyboy
08-09-2014, 07:53 PM

Me too

What are you hearing?

I'm hearing what Scoopyboy is hearing, both from listening to her on Monday evening and from people I know and trust who find her to be very focused and professional

Jack
08-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Me too

I'm hearing what Scoopyboy is hearing, both from listening to her on Monday evening and from people I know and trust who find her to be very focused and professional

Me tutu! But that's another story ;-)

Too many folk being too selective, skimming over anything remotely positive.

So negative about their club if they live the rest of their lives in the same way they really should be on suicide watch!

GreenCastle
08-09-2014, 08:21 PM

I agree about the Scottish cup win and ok there maybe has been a fair few threads recently on the subject but rightly so.

What has been served up has been unacceptable and it's a public forum where views are allowed to be aired if there are concerns.

Raising awareness of worries and getting others thinking is allowed and if action had been taken sever years ago we wouldn't be in this position.

Many are still sitting back and just saying give it time - well last time we have it time we were relegated.

We are severely under achieving.

GreenCastle
08-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Me too

My worry is that some who have met her recently
In smaller groups are worried she has been just out out front to deflect attention from people behind her. She's not deliberately doing a bad job but she's saying things that she doesn't always have the power to back up.

I want her to succeed - I want us to succeed - my Motherwell friend said she was great - I just hope she isn't being ruined or not given full backing as that's what I am hearing from others who met her.

marinello59
08-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Me tutu! But that's another story ;-)

Too many folk being too selective, skimming over anything remotely positive.

So negative about their club if they live the rest of their lives in the same way they really should be on suicide watch!

Throw in the ones who want to purposely rabble rouse and it's a depressing place at the moment. Roll on Saturday and a game of fitba to watch.

WellingtonHibby
08-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Dry your eyes, mate.

Jonnyboy
08-09-2014, 08:29 PM
In smaller groups are worried she has been just out out front to deflect attention from people behind her. She's not deliberately doing a bad job but she's saying things that she doesn't always have the power to back up.

I want her to succeed - I want us to succeed - my Motherwell friend said she was great - I just hope she isn't being ruined or not given full backing as that's what I am hearing from others who met her.

Surprised at that view as I too have spoken to fans that have met her in small groups and they say exactly the opposite. They say she is focused, professional and most certainly nobody's front 'man.'

FranckSuzy
08-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Not having a dig but like what?

I've met LD on a number of occasions and to be honest, 1) she has more balls than many of the men I've met at Hibs and 2) she has gone to great lengths to stress, over and over, that she is no-one's puppet/mouthpiece.

She also correctly (IMHO) advised that she sought and received assurances before she left her previous job that she had autonomy at Hibs and I believe her. As she said, she not only has a massive job to do here, but a reputation (built up over 6 years at Motherwell) to consider too :aok:

Jonnyboy
08-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Not having a dig but like what?

I've met LD on a number of occasions and to be honest, 1) she has more balls than many of the men I've met at Hibs and 2) she has gone to great lengths to stress, over and over, that she is no-one's puppet/mouthpiece.

She also correctly (IMHO) advised that she sought and received assurances before she left her previous job that she had autonomy at Hibs and I believe her. As she said, she not only has a massive job to do here, but a reputation (built up over 6 years at Motherwell) to consider too :aok:

And let's not forget, every journey starts with a single step. She's just getting into her stride :wink:

JimBHibees
08-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Strange to say she doesn't do action given the fundamental changes behind the scenes. It is very early days and she is doing fine after taking over the club n a shocking position. Change takes time please give her the chance to do her job.

sahib
08-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Strange to say she doesn't do action given the fundamental changes behind the scenes. It is very early days and she is doing fine after taking over the club n a shocking position. Change takes time please give her the chance to do her job.

:agree:

What can she do, but try and set up a better structure and get the right people in? She's not going to pick the team or dictate tactics and presumably, she doesn't have access to a huge budget. What do people expect her to do other than what she has done.
Do people really believe that even Butcher and Malpas came to Hibs to fail miserably as a career move?

ahibby
09-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Ms Dempster will do alright. She's in at a very difficult time and had a lot to sort out. I think she has taken good first steps to sorting it out. I don't think we can reach our potential while we have players at the club who shouldn't be there but considering everything that has gone before, I am satisfied with the new acquisitions. Ms Dempster has taken the right approach in dealing with fans, so far but that's simply my opinion; I can understand why she has said what she has so far. Many of us have been saying for years that we had a serious problem at the club, I said it on this forum years ago. I should maybe have written to the club about my concerns four years ago but having already been through that process in the eighties and nineties during our other problem times, I'm tired of it. Anyway what good would it have done because RP would work it his way anyway no matter what any of us wrote to him. We have a new manager, many new and some promising players. They will take time to gel, we must hope that the worst of this episode is behind us and start looking forward and not back.

jacomo
09-09-2014, 10:14 AM
I've been critical of some of the decisions that LD has made (being double booked on TDD was an amateurish mistake) but appreciate that she's got a very difficult job to do, and under scrutiny the whole time. Overall, she's doing more right than wrong and deserves a little patience from us... difficult given how badly things have been run in recent years, but essential I think.

Similarly, AS does not seem the finished article as a manager but there's definite signs of promise. For the first time probably since Stokes and Liam Miller came to the club we have signed players who should excite the fans. Finally, our preparation and organisation is being looked at too.

A few results now would help no end.

MB62
09-09-2014, 10:35 AM
I don't know Leann personally and have never met the lady. However, a very good friend of mine was a working colleague of hers pre her 'Well days and speaks very highly of her, at the moment, that will do for me.

Only a matter of weeks in to her new post at Hibs, Leann will get every chance from me to turn things round in the long term. If it turns out she is as bad as R.P. then we will be rooked, but I have a feeling this will not be the case.

Steve20
09-09-2014, 10:46 AM

I actually think Stubbs will do ok in the long run. But can't say he's done a good job so far. He's lost 3 out of his first 4 league games, in a league we should be going to win.

GreenCastle
09-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Dry your eyes, mate.

They are dried thanks :na na:

GreenCastle
09-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Agreed. This is a huge undertaking to transform our club. It won't happen overnight or indeed in a few months.

We have to be patient. I know this isn't easy for some but for me I see a sea of change happening.

I've seen more progress off the pitch in the last 3 months than in the last 5 years.

It's like watching a house being re-built - you want to see the fancy light fittings installed and the new turf put down on the lawn but for a large part of the project it's about laying the foundations and sorting the bits that no-one sees.

A "quick fix" isn't what's required here. It's a complete re-build from top to bottom.

All IMHO of course...

Agreed - I am all for patience but the worry is that even though on the front it looks like work is trying to be done - it's what's happening behind still hindering full change.

Only time will tell but again I don't believe we fully have that much time - as the longer it takes the further down we will drop / loose revenue.

The AGM could be a very interesting affair depending where we are sitting in the table this year and RP's presence.

Franck Stanton
09-09-2014, 02:45 PM
I actually think Stubbs will do ok in the long run. But can't say he's done a good job so far. He's lost 3 out of his first 4 league games, in a league we should be going to win.

In my original post I said that I, and most likely all Hibs supporters are not happy with the start to the season, however, given the mess he inherited, I am of the opinion he has shown he knows what is wrong and is/has taken steps to rectify the situation. Now that he has his own players in, with the type of football he has now installed in them , think we will "click" and go on a long unbeaten run. Give it a few week, with a few wins under our belt then this place will have a vey different tone to it. Remember a wise man once said "A journey of a thousand miles is begun with the first step", we, are taking the first step and will be a force in Scottish football once more. Have faith.

GreenCastle
21-09-2014, 10:27 AM
The signs are still there.

Last week we got out of jail with a last minute win.

Our youth team - filled full of 1st team players get beaten by a young Motherwell side-midweek.

Yesterday another woeful performance.

What's going to change till the next transfer window or until there is further change at the club.

The sooner fans wake up and realise how far we have dropped the better - seriously bad times at the club.

Diclonius
21-09-2014, 11:05 AM
The signs are still there.

Last week we got out of jail with a last minute win.

Our youth team - filled full of 1st team players get beaten by a young Motherwell side-midweek.

Yesterday another woeful performance.

What's going to change till the next transfer window or until there is further change at the club.

The sooner fans wake up and realise how far we have dropped the better - seriously bad times at the club.

There will be no serious transfer activity in January.

LancsHibs
21-09-2014, 11:45 AM
There will be no serious transfer activity in January.

There better be, our goalkeeper and most creative player are both away in January!! We are in a mess

emerald green
21-09-2014, 11:48 AM
There better be, our goalkeeper and most creative player are both away in January!! We are in a mess

Not being a smart a*** here, but who is our most creative player? :confused:

LancsHibs
21-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Not being a smart a*** here, but who is our most creative player? :confused:

Kennedy

emerald green
21-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Kennedy

OK thanks.

TrinityHibby
21-09-2014, 12:54 PM
I've been critical of some of the decisions that LD has made (being double booked on TDD was an amateurish mistake) but appreciate that she's got a very difficult job to do, and under scrutiny the whole time. Overall, she's doing more right than wrong and deserves a little patience from us... difficult given how badly things have been run in recent years, but essential I think.

Similarly, AS does not seem the finished article as a manager but there's definite signs of promise. For the first time probably since Stokes and Liam Miller came to the club we have signed players who should excite the fans. Finally, our preparation and organisation is being looked at too.

A few results now would help no end.
Who are these players AS has signed who will excite? To be honest I am currently underwhelmed at his transfer dealings and also concerned at rewarding so called young talent e.g messrs handling, Stanton, Harris and Cummings with long term contracts that may come back to haunt us

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Who are these players AS has signed who will excite? To be honest I am currently underwhelmed at his transfer dealings and also concerned at rewarding so called young talent e.g messrs handling, Stanton, Harris and Cummings with long term contracts that may come back to haunt us

You could also throw in our showcase signing Allan :rolleyes:, and Fontaine the centre half we'd been after for weeks not apparently good enough to get a game in THIS bloody team.

Onion
21-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Under Yogi we were regularly getting 12-13,000 for cat B games.
Calderwood lost us almost 4,000 fans and a fair number have not returned.
The club must know who these fans are so should concentrate on doing whatever it takes to get them back. If this means dishing out free tickets for a few games, no strings attached then do so.
I appreciate that some st holders might get annoyed as they have continued to support the club through the bad times, but I would accept this for the greater good.
Just a thought.

Would free tickets and a larger ER crowd help or hinder this latest Hibs team ? Last season's lot just freaked when they saw full stands. Does this squad have more balls and backbone ? If not, then all that free ticket will do is reaffirm their decision to walk away. Better to wait until all the deadwood is cleared out and we know we've bottomed-out.

Islington Hibs
21-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Would free tickets and a larger ER crowd help or hinder this latest Hibs team ? Last season's lot just freaked when they saw full stands. Does this squad have more balls and backbone ? If not, then all that free ticket will do is reaffirm their decision to walk away. Better to wait until all the deadwood is cleared out and we know we've bottomed-out.

We are not capable of getting large crowds until we entertain and start to win. 11k v Coden with thousands free, 15.5k at Tiny yesterday. Simple- winning is the only way. Those barstewards have cheated but sort of got away with it. We can get those gates, but only with confidence, a decent atmosphere and a decent team. We have none of those attributes now and have not had for seasons.

We will eventually get out of the Championship is we still have a much bigger support than all the others who are typically there. But it may take time. We will be back, we are not Third Lanark, but sure this is probably about as bad as it has been, to be a Hibby, since 1930, without exaggeration.

theonlywayisup
21-09-2014, 02:24 PM
We will eventually get out of the Championship

But up or down?

I jest of course, the downward spiral can't continue for much longer!

Bobo
21-09-2014, 02:34 PM
the downward spiral can't continue for much longer!

Been saying that for almost a decade now 😒

Turkish Green
21-09-2014, 05:52 PM
I am confident in LD's ability as CEO and that given sufficient funds by the board she will eventually turn things around even if not this season.

However I spent the last 2 seasons reading posts from those supposedly knowledgable posters on here about the financial mayhem in the Romanov empire and how the yams would be bankrupt and out of business by the end of last season. Yet look where they are now.

Can any of the financial experts on .net please explain to me why Hibs continue to sign players on the cheap and prefer short term loan signings to 1-2 year contracts. Is this strategy solely down to RP or is there a real shortage of funds at the club.

Forza Fred
22-09-2014, 09:31 AM
My worry is that there is no parachute money next season, and what do we then do to get players capable of getting us promoted.

J-C
22-09-2014, 09:46 AM
My worry is that there is no parachute money next season, and what do we then do to get players capable of getting us promoted.

Don't worry, once we finally drop down to Div2, these pussy players will at last be at a level to maybe win a couple of games.

GreenCastle
22-09-2014, 10:21 AM

How much is the parachute money?

J-C
22-09-2014, 10:31 AM
How much is the parachute money?

Just enough to buy a parachute

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Just enough to buy a parachute

Aye and we will go for the one with the free radio.

J-C
22-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Aye and we will go for the one with the free radio.

Hahahaha only funny if you've seen the ad. :greengrin