PDA

View Full Version : Petrie Must Go

southsider
08-09-2014, 01:25 PM
I have today written to our Chairman informing him that is my intention to move a motion of no confidence with him and his board and asking him to step down forthwidth. Have given him my full name and address and that of my seconder. As the small fan shareholders have a tiny percentage of the shares so i have no chance of the motion being carried. However, a massive show of hands against Petrie at the AGM will show him what we think of his disasterous chairmanship of our club. If you agree, please attend the AGM and back the motion.When i receive a reply i shall post it on here. Keith

Deansy
08-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I have today written to our Chairman informing him that is my intention to move a motion of no confidence with him and his board and asking him to step down forthwidth. Have given him my full name and address and that of my seconder. As the small fan shareholders have a tiny percentage of the shares so i have no chance of the motion being carried. However, a massive show of hands against Petrie at the AGM will show him what we think of his disasterous chairmanship of our club. If you agree, please attend the AGM and back the motion.When i receive a reply i shall post it on here. Keith

Good Luck from a fellow Southsider !!

blackpoolhibs
08-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Good luck matey, this protest against him should carry on until *removed* eventually leaves the club for good.

Today we witness another one of his disastrous appointments leave with a pay off presumably, taking more money out whatever budget we have.

That man has cost us untold amount of money, OUR money and still he hovers in the background dividing the whole club with his presence.

Just go Petrie, and give us our club back.

Kato
08-09-2014, 01:45 PM
still he hovers

Wow, hes' invisible and he can hover. He's a rotten football chairman but that induction into The X-Men must be on the cards sometime soon. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Wow, hes' invisible and he can hover. He's a rotten football chairman but that induction into The X-Men must be on the cards sometime soon. :greengrin

:greengrin

greenpaper55
08-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Somehow i don't think the teflon man will e quaking in his shoes.

jacomo
08-09-2014, 02:44 PM

There's no question of RP losing a vote of no confidence, of course. But it's still worth doing in order to maintain the pressure on the club for change.

southsider
08-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Perhaps not but it is better than doing nothing and watching him ruin our club.

DarlingtonHibee
08-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Perhaps not but it is better than doing nothing and watching him ruin our club.
Won't make a bit of difference re RP, but intrested who you would want to put money in the club

Dave-O
08-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Won't make a bit of difference re RP, but intrested who you would want to put money in the club

Wasn't aware the conduit put money in the club, I am aware he's cost us 100's of thousands with his bad appointments though. :wink:

Hibbyradge
08-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Today we witness another one of his disastrous appointments leave with a pay off presumably, taking more money out whatever budget we have.

The thing is, if he hadn't recruited Marsella as well as Butcher and Malpas, he would have been criticised for penny pinching.

I remember one poster saying that it had to be all 3 of them or we might as well give up, or words to that effect.

That was a particularly stupid remark, but vitally every Hibs supporter and football commentator, thought we'd played a blinder getting the "dream team".

Marsella's work ethic, driving all night, sleeping in his car etc was held up as examples of how brilliant we'd done in getting him.

If we all agreed with those appointments at the time, it's a bit hypocritical to slag Petrie off now.

The rest of your post I agree with although the motion of no confidence will achieve nothing.

southsider
08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
The only people who really care about the club..... the fans. Once Petrie goes i would gladly put in £200 per month. There must be a few thousand fans who would invest in the club. How about you ?

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
The only people who really care about the club..... the fans. Once Petrie goes i would gladly put in £200 per month. There must be a few thousand fans who would invest in the club. How about you ?

This....

blackpoolhibs
08-09-2014, 05:08 PM
The thing is, if he hadn't recruited Marsella as well as Butcher and Malpas, he would have been criticised for penny pinching.

I remember one poster saying that it had to be all 3 of them or we might as well give up, or words to that effect.

That was a particularly stupid remark, but vitally every Hibs supporter and football commentator, thought we'd played a blinder getting the "dream team".

Marsella's work ethic, driving all night, sleeping in his car etc was held up as examples of how brilliant we'd done in getting him.

If we all agreed with those appointments at the time, it's a bit hypocritical to slag Petrie off now.

The rest of your post I agree with although the motion of no confidence will achieve nothing.

Go back if you want Dave, and look at my posts and a few others when Butcher was mooted to be our target. I stated then that his managerial career was shocking, and he'd had about 18 months of very good times with Inverness, and the rest had been sacking after sacking.

I can't speak for anyone else, but i don't get paid to make these types of decisions, Petrie did. He was once again hoodwinked by someone who had achieved very very little in his managerial career, and his appointment was him and his boards appointment.

And once again another dud was appointed and again sacked, HE failed not the fans who may have wanted him.

FranckSuzy
08-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Fair play to you, Keith as at least you are trying to make your feelings (and those of countless others, going by threads on here) known :aok:

Lago
08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
QUOTE=Hibbyradge;4161645]The thing is, if he hadn't recruited Marsella as well as Butcher and Malpas, he would have been criticised for penny pinching.

The rest of your post I agree with although the motion of no confidence will achieve nothing.[/QUOTE]
:flag:

whiskyhibby
08-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Completely agree with your comments, there would have been an uproar if RP had failed to get all 3

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

John_the_angus_hibby
08-09-2014, 07:28 PM

Every word true as I still cringe at how I too generally held this belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Every word true as I still cringe at how I too generally held this belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I also cringe at the selective memories of many on here.

Forza Fred
08-09-2014, 07:43 PM
I am coming to the opinion that at AGM time RP will announce that he is standing down forthwith.

I think even he has accepted that his position is untenable, given the division caused by his continuing involvement, and will use the AGM as the forum to announce it.

He can't' sack anyone else this AGM.

Billy Whizz
08-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I am coming to the opinion that at AGM time RP will announce that he is standing down forthwith.

I think even he has accepted that his position is untenable, given the division caused by his continuing involvement, and will use the AGM as the forum to announce it.

Do you think he'll get a round of applause?

Jonnyboy
08-09-2014, 07:46 PM

If he does, Fred (fingers crossed smiley) how many on here, who said they won't return until Petrie has gone, will actually come back I wonder. I suspect some will move on to say they want STF out first and some may say they won't come back until the team is worth watching.

I ask this because initially it was only until RP departed but I suspect some goalposts may be moved :wink:

Bearders
08-09-2014, 07:50 PM
That was a particularly stupid remark, but vitally every Hibs supporter thought we'd played a blinder getting the "dream team".

/QUOTE]

I know you don't literally mean this. From my perspective I hope not as like many others I never ever wanted this clown at MY club.

Bearders
08-09-2014, 08:01 PM
That was a particularly stupid remark, but vitally every Hibs supporter thought we'd played a blinder getting the "dream team".

/QUOTE]

I know you don't literally mean this. From my perspective I hope not as like many others I never ever wanted this clown at MY club.

Hibbyradge
08-09-2014, 08:05 PM

/QUOTE]

I meant to say "virtually" every Hibs supporter. I'm not used to my new phone's predictive text yet.

I know not everyone wanted Butcher, but a huge majority welcomed him excitedly.

Bearders
08-09-2014, 08:13 PM
If he does, Fred (fingers crossed smiley) how many on here, who said they won't return until Petrie has gone, will actually come back I wonder. I suspect some will move on to say they want STF out first and some may say they won't come back until the team is worth watching.

I ask this because initially it was only until RP departed but I suspect some goalposts may be moved :wink:

JB, you're spot on. All we can do is turn up each and every week doing our bit for the greater good of our Club. Petrie,Farmer, the Cost, the Home strip..........the cost for some I do concede but the others".....?

Hibeesforever
08-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Well done that man, I don't own shares but would gladly help recapitalise a Hibernian Football Club without him attached formally to the club.
The owner, Sir Tom, is also inextricably linked with this nadir period of our history. ...if he was a true community minded person, he would pass the club off, "free" of charge for no premium into a special purpose Trust, from which new capital could be raised....the time for bluster is over. Look at the league table and lower your heads in shame Messers Farmer and Petrie. You should redeem your reputations by handing the club to the fans for free. It is the least you could do because of the emotional trauma in the community that has been caused on your watch!

greenginger
08-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Have to say I was delighted when Butcher and Co were appointed, so I would not slag Petrie for making the appointments.
Things were looking good for the fist seven or eight games then the rot set in and there was obviously a giant rift between management and players.

That's when a football club chairman should step in and knock heads together for the sake of the club.

I've no idea if Petrie tried and failed to bring the sides together or just kept out of it because of previous problems when he entered that territory, but that was a serious failure and he should have at least resigned as club chairman the morning after relegation.

lucky
08-09-2014, 09:45 PM
As I have previously stated on another thread I'm totally in support of this move.

Bostonhibby
08-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Good luck, nae problem supporting this in person one the day, and if I can't get up I will arrange a suitable proxy - know a couple of other shareholders who will support on the day too, hope it gets that far.

gorgie greens
08-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Good luck, nae problem supporting this in person one the day, and if I can't get up I will arrange a suitable proxy - know a couple of other shareholders who will support on the day too, hope it gets that far.
i hope he states at the start of the AGM that he will stand down straight away,and i hope you get enough support which im sure you will,i too was carried away by the dream team.

Ronniekirk
09-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Have never been to an A G M but will make a point of going to this one as I do think Petrie needs to go ,and sitting on the fence for me is no longer an option .He has ridden out many a Storm and a show of hands will not intimidate him ,but by then surely S T F should be willing to enter the Fray and tell us his plans for taking the club forward and succession as if they both hoped The Winds of Change Campaign was going to divert attention from Petrie relegation put paid to that .
I would never take a principled stand and say I will never go back to watch Hibs as long as he is there as I support my Club ,but I no longer feel his omnipent presence is needed ,and it certainly is not IMO for the benefit of the Club .
But we can all have opinions and in the end the only one that really matters is Sir Tom Farmers so is he always there at these meetings or does he just attend when Petrie thinks he needs his backing or he is making a speach designed to try and rally the troops and steady the ship .

Nailrodders
09-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Over the past fifty years I've put thousands of pounds of my money into the club. Petrie has never put a farthing of his own money into the club. He's helped himself to somewhere around a couple of million in salary, and squandered hundreds of thousands more with his incompetence.

I love Hibs but I'm not married to them. I won't be back until all connections between the club and Petrie have been severed for good.

ahibby
09-09-2014, 09:55 AM
What role does RP play now, Chairman? Who would takeover from him? Ms Dempster would still report to a Chairman, no?

CropleyWasGod
09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
What role does RP play now, Chairman? Who would takeover from him? Ms Dempster would still report to a Chairman, no?

RP is non-executive Chair, ie a member of the Board. It would be up to that Board to elect a new chair.

LD currently reports to the Board, of which she is also a member. That wouldn't change.

FranckSuzy
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM

RP is non-executive Chair, ie a member of the Board. It would be up to that Board to elect a new chair.

LD currently reports to the Board, of which she is also a member. That wouldn't change.

:agree: but hopefully it'll be one who knows what he's doing and who will actually take more than a passing interest in OUR football club :rolleyes:

MrSmith
09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Over the past fifty years I've put thousands of pounds of my money into the club. Petrie has never put a farthing of his own money into the club. He's helped himself to somewhere around a couple of million in salary, and squandered hundreds of thousands more with his incompetence.

I love Hibs but I'm not married to them. I won't be back until all connections between the club and Petrie have been severed for good.

That's quite a narrow view. He got us East mains, completed the stadium rebuild and has kept us in the black for many years. However, consistent mistakes have been made and opportunities lost due to his MO. I do believe it is his time to go but lets be a little more balanced in our view.

Bad Martini
09-09-2014, 11:36 AM
That's quite a narrow view. He got us East mains, completed the stadium rebuild and has kept us in the black for many years. However, consistent mistakes have been made and opportunities lost due to his MO. I do believe it is his time to go but lets be a little more balanced in our view.

I think you have neglected to recall HE didn't "get us" anything. The sale of the so called "Golden Generation" got us that, along with our own regular weekly "investment" in our team, generally for an ever-decreasing return on OUR investment.

Let's be clear (IMHO) Petrie and his pals got us nothing and again (IMHO) what he/they choose to invest in was wrong. Wrong thing at the wrong time...

That is why we have the best "infrastructure" in the Championship, with one of the poorest teams in living memory. We bought **** that didn't further our cause. Source: history. Outcome: we got relegated.

Sorry mate, I'm not buying that Petrie and his pals done ANYTHING for us...yes, the stuff you mention was done....at the expense of the team on the field. Now income is down, sales are down and WE are down...wonder if that's part of his 5 year plan???

silverhibee
09-09-2014, 11:43 AM

How much debt is the club in. ?

Dave-O
09-09-2014, 11:52 AM
I think you have neglected to recall HE didn't "get us" anything. The sale of the so called "Golden Generation" got us that, along with our own regular weekly "investment" in our team, generally for an ever-decreasing return on OUR investment.

Let's be clear (IMHO) Petrie and his pals got us nothing and again (IMHO) what he/they choose to invest in was wrong. Wrong thing at the wrong time...

That is why we have the best "infrastructure" in the Championship, with one of the poorest teams in living memory. We bought **** that didn't further our cause. Source: history. Outcome: we got relegated.

Sorry mate, I'm not buying that Petrie and his pals done ANYTHING for us...yes, the stuff you mention was done....at the expense of the team on the field. Now income is down, sales are down and WE are down...wonder if that's part of his 5 year plan???

:top marks.........:aok:

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2014, 11:52 AM

HE got us East Mains, how exactly did he pay for it? Would we still be training on the dog **** if Rod had not built the training centre, or could someone else have built it?

I despair at times that this man is given so much credit for building something that is just a bloody training ground? If he'd not wasted as much money as he has in other parts of the business, we'd have been able to knock down the bloody castle and build a new ground and training centre there, and still have change.

MrSmith
09-09-2014, 12:03 PM
HE got us East Mains, how exactly did he pay for it? Would we still be training on the dog **** if Rod had not built the training centre, or could someone else have built it?

I despair at times that this man is given so much credit for building something that is just a bloody training ground? If he'd not wasted as much money as he has in other parts of the business, we'd have been able to knock down the bloody castle and build a new ground and training centre there, and still have change.

I don't disagree!

Rangers and Celtic at the time in cahoots with the DR, stole them from us however, think Collins and Petrie achieved best price? And again, I don't disagree.

How much debt is the club in?

I don't know??

ahibby
09-09-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't disagree!

Rangers and Celtic at the time in cahoots with the DR, stole them from us however, think Collins and Petrie achieved best price? And again, I don't disagree.

I don't know??

Last I heard it was 7 Million but I don't know whether that's net of any cash assets.

CropleyWasGod
09-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Last I heard it was 7 Million but I don't know whether that's net of any cash assets.

The accounts are in the vault. They are a year old, your information may be more recent.

silverhibee
09-09-2014, 12:25 PM
The accounts are in the vault. They are a year old, your information may be more recent.

What was the highest amount of debt Hibs were in and how much has it been reduced by since then. Ta :greengrin

DarlingtonHibee
09-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Good for you

flash
09-09-2014, 01:12 PM

With any luck you are boycotting this forum and not Easter Road.

Phil D. Rolls
09-09-2014, 01:37 PM

If he is stepping down forthwidth, you have my suppord. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
09-09-2014, 01:40 PM

So you've spent thousands, and he's been paid millions. Who's the idiot? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Good for you

I agree, well done him. Just a shame the club and it appears you have taken his and many others loyalty for granted.

Taz_hibee
09-09-2014, 02:08 PM
When is AGM?

cam2644
09-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Good luck. Petrie's resignation would open up a window of opportunity.He is so far removed from the fans that his position is untenable.

Nailrodders
09-09-2014, 04:10 PM
So you've spent thousands, and he's been paid millions. Who's the idiot? :confused:You, apparently.

Nailrodders
09-09-2014, 04:17 PM
1. He didn't 'get us' East Mains or the stadium

2. East Mains has not produced a single player we have been able to sell on in the seven seasons since it opened, nor has it ever produced a winning team.

3. We are not now and never have been in the black.

I agree with your points about consistent mistakes and opportunities lost.

CropleyWasGod
09-09-2014, 04:18 PM

2. East Mains has not produced a single player we have been able to sell on in the seven seasons since it opened, nor has it ever produced a winning team.

Can you define that?

Phil D. Rolls
09-09-2014, 04:26 PM
You, apparently.

Yes, and no. Yes I'm an idiot. But not for the reason you think.

Try again. I'm not whingeing about how much I've spent on football, as if I had no choice in the matter. If you have had thousands to spend you are a lucky person.

Golden Bear
09-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Right now I can't quite remember the name of the Hibs "official" whom was involved in the transfer fees for the golden generation. However I do remember that the same guy was revered by the Hibs support for his hard ball approach to the transfer negotiations. Indeed at the time, it's safe to say that this mystery guy achieved cult status.

Now, what was his name again?

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Right now I can't quite remember the name of the Hibs "official" whom was involved in the transfer fees for the golden generation. However I do remember that the same guy was revered by the Hibs support for his hard ball approach to the transfer negotiations. Indeed at the time, it's safe to say that this mystery guy achieved cult status.

Now, what was his name again?

:rolleyes:

John Collins.

Dave-O
09-09-2014, 04:44 PM
John Collins.

Damn you, beat me too it. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Damn you, beat me too it. :greengrin

We were getting offers for all the players, that drove their prices up more than any man standing firm waiting for top dollar.

Nailrodders
09-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Yes, and no. Yes I'm an idiot. But not for the reason you think.

Try again. I'm not whingeing about how much I've spent on football, as if I had no choice in the matter. If you have had thousands to spend you are a lucky person.I'm sorry you appear to believe that I'm an idiot for having spent thousands of pounds supporting Hibs over the last fifty years. Does your judgment apply to everybody whose spent thousands of pounds supporting Hibs?

Phil D. Rolls
09-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry you appear to believe that I'm an idiot for having spent thousands of pounds supporting Hibs over the last fifty years. Does your judgment apply to everybody whose spent thousands of pounds supporting Hibs?

Im merely saying that if you have had that much to spend you are a lucky man. Other people are not so fortunate, and don't have that kind of money to blow.

My judgement is reserved for those that can't see the difference between leisure and life. I know plenty of people who have spent that much. They moan they curse, but they never expect anybody to feel sorry for them.

I've spent thousands of pounds on Ryanair in the last few years. Do you think that gives me a right to complain about Michael Learys salary?

In a society where people are using food banks, your attitude that you are due more because you've blown your cash on football is pretty poor.

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Can you explain what you mean by "in the black"?

Nailrodders
10-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Can you explain what you mean by "in the black"?You always seem to have difficulty understanding stuff that I post. So ask MrSmith. He'll explain it to you:

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2014, 11:28 AM
You always seem to have difficulty understanding stuff that I post. So ask MrSmith. He'll explain it to you:

I'm asking you, because it was you that denied Mr. Smith's claim, and I am looking for clarification.

Although it's not a term that I personally use, I have heard it defined in many ways, and I wanted to clarify which of these, if any, you are using.

None of the ones that I have heard of would fit in with your assertion, so I would assume that you have a different one.

Nailrodders
10-09-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm asking you, because it was you that denied Mr. Smith's claim, and I am looking for clarification.

Although it's not a term that I personally use, I have heard it defined in many ways, and I wanted to clarify which of these, if any, you are using.

None of the ones that I have heard of would fit in with your assertion, so I would assume that you have a different one.I'm confident that I was using exactly the same definition as MrSmith, and that he will be able to explain it to you much more articulately than I can.

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm confident that I was using exactly the same definition as MrSmith, and that he will be able to explain it to you much more articulately than I can.

Okay.

On the basis of the definitions that I have heard used over the years, viz.

Money in the bank
Making profit
Net current assets
Net assets
Positive reserves
Accumulated profits
Combination of any or all of the above

your assertion would be incorrect.

However, I am open to being told what other measure one might use.

southsider
10-09-2014, 01:54 PM
To get back on track here guys i posted originally looking for support at the comimg AGM asking for the chairman to step down as he has now very little support from the fans. But i don't really expept him to do so. What we got here is a failure to communicate..... some men you just can't reach.

Bostonhibby
10-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Can you explain what you mean by "in the black"?

Are you hinting at assetts exceeding liabilities!?

We always do pass that test, for good reason:-)

I still want him out for all the well established reasons but the basic business numbers do defy emotional attack. We have blown some money buying in and getting rid of people though.

Bostonhibby
10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
To get back on track here guys i posted originally looking for support at the comimg AGM asking for the chairman to step down as he has now very little support from the fans. But i don't really expept him to do so. What we got here is a failure to communicate..... some men you just can't reach.

I'm still in.

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Are you hinting at assetts exceeding liabilities!?

We always do pass that test, for good reason:-)

I still want him out for all the well established reasons but the basic business numbers do defy emotional attack. We have blown some money buying in and getting rid of people though.
I wasn't hinting at anything. I just wanted an answer, so that I could give a view.

Said it many times before. ...I want him to leave, but on the basis of facts and evidence, not half-baked agenda-led nonsense. We won't get rid of him if we stick to the latter.

Bostonhibby
10-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I wasn't hinting at anything. I just wanted an answer, so that I could give a view.

Said it many times before. ...I want him to leave, but on the basis of facts and evidence, not half-baked agenda-led nonsense. We won't get rid of him if we stick to the latter.

Am with you all the way CWG, effort above was my attempt at simplifying the fact that.............in the red we ain't. Not yam and Sevco style anyway.

However he has done it, we do always seem to have had a decent balance sheet for a scottish football club under petrie but all that has been lost because of the state of the football team.

Nailrodders
10-09-2014, 08:34 PM

The Great Helmsman(:not worth) speaks:

"Yes yes. I know that we offered contracts to three young players who had committed their youth to Hibernian Football Club, and then withdrew the offers in a matter of days, leaving them at risk of losing their careers. I know that we rewarded the only person at the club who has achieved any kind of on-field success in the past seven years by telling him he could keep his job at half the salary, and he is now gone.

But these hard decisions were necessary, necessary. They were necessary to plug the enormous gap that I had left in our finances by my eye-watering uselessness. And as a result of these hard decisions, and others like them, technically speaking, we are still in the black. And never forget, my friends, for a football club the over-riding concern is always to be technically speaking in the black.

That is what truly matters for a football club. That is what truly matters for Hibernian Football Club.

Thank you, my friends. Thank you."

(Vote Petrie out. Vote often.)

The Falcon
10-09-2014, 09:00 PM
The Great Helmsman(:not worth) speaks:

"Yes yes. I know that we offered contracts to three young players who had committed their youth to Hibernian Football Club, and then withdrew the offers in a matter of days, leaving them at risk of losing their careers. I know that we rewarded the only person at the club who has achieved any kind of on-field success in the past seven years by telling him he could keep his job at half the salary, and he is now gone.

But these hard decisions were necessary, necessary. They were necessary to plug the enormous gap that I had left in our finances by my eye-watering uselessness. And as a result of these hard decisions, and others like them, technically speaking, we are still in the black. And never forget, my friends, for a football club the over-riding concern is always to be technically speaking in the black.

That is what truly matters for a football club. That is what truly matters for Hibernian Football Club.

Thank you, my friends. Thank you."

(Vote Petrie out. Vote often.)

Who are you quoting?

Peevemor
10-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Who are you quoting?

Just ignore him. He's trying too hard again.

Nailrodders
10-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Absolutely. Follow Peevemor and The Great Helmsman (:not worth) to a better, brighter future at the orifice end of the second tier of Scottish football.

While remaining technically in the black.

Peevemor
10-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Absolutely. Follow Peevemor and The Great Helmsman (:not worth) to a better, brighter future at the orifice end of the second tier of Scottish football.

What are you on about? Have you run out of tablets or something?

matty_f
10-09-2014, 09:56 PM

If you're going to troll the forum again, at least have the decency to back up your words and answer questions such as what your definition of being in the black is, instead of hiding from the answer and throwing the phrase back in like a naughty schoolboy.

You'd be quicker just posting "Look at me! Look at me !" and being done with it.

Nailrodders
10-09-2014, 11:58 PM
If you're going to troll the forum again, at least have the decency to back up your words and answer questions such as what your definition of being in the black is, instead of hiding from the answer and throwing the phrase back in like a naughty schoolboy.

You'd be quicker just posting "Look at me! Look at me !" and being done with it.My apologies to you, to the forum, and to Peevemore.

When CWG asked what I meant by "being in the black", instead of suggesting that I meant the same thing as the poster to whom I was originally responding, I should have answered his question promptly and clearly, along the lines of:

"Being in the black" has no formal meaning. To different people it would mean different things. To a qualified accountant it might have a number of specific meanings, such as:

Money in the bank
Making profit
Net current assets
Net assets
Positive reserves
Accumulated profits
Combination of any or all of the above
To an ordinary person who is not a qualified accountant, it might simply mean "being in good financial health". Based on the other statements in his post, I took MrSmith to be someone who is not a qualified accountant, and therefore I interpreted his statement that Mr Petrie has "kept us in the black for many years" to mean that Mr Petrie has "generally kept us in good financial health for many years".

I do not share the view that Mr Petrie has kept us in good financial health for many years. I share the view of Mr David Low, that the belief that the club is in good financial health is largely a myth. In particular, I take the view that right now the club is struggling to make ends meet at all. There are long-term reasons for this, for example the decline in attendances - which form the biggest source of revenue - that has accompanied our declining performances on the field. There are also short-term reasons, principally the fact that the club committed a very large sum of money - a sum that is unlikely to have been less than half a million pounds, and may have been considerably more - to the abortive recruitment and subsequent dismissal of Messrs Butcher, Malpas and Marsella.

However, I acknowledge that my statement that the club "is not and never has been in the black" was a lie, and CWG was right to pull me up on it. There have been occasions in the past when the club was in fact in good financial health.

Moving on to the post that caused Peevemore such anger. One of the reasons why I believe that the club is struggling to make ends meet lies in its treatment of the youth team and James McDonaugh this summer. The youth team finished a very creditable third in the under-20 league last season, a higher position than the senior team has achieved for many years. Three of the youth team were offered senior contracts. These contract offers were withdrawn in a matter of days, and the players have been left to make their own way and rebuild their careers however they can. McDonaugh, the only member of the coaching/management staff who has achieved any success at all in the last seven years, was told that he could keep his job at a reduced salary, and has now left the club. This is how these people, at the bottom of the club hierarchy, were rewarded for their success. There could be no 'football reason' for these moves, which must therefore have been made on financial grounds.

However, all of this is a point of view, and nothing more. I had no right to express this view through a satirical 'speech', supposedly delivered by Mr Petrie, which was in fact my own invention. Such devices have no place on fans' forums. I apologise to anyone who was offended by it.

In future, when I am trying to put forward my point of view on a thread and I receive a reply from Peevemore along the lines of:

Look, when you're in a hole it's best to stop digging. You're going round in circles with your daft non argument and, as someone else said so eloquently, you're boring the tits off us in the process. Why don't you give it a rest?

or:

I will take his comments on board, stop posting on that thread, and remove myself from the forum for a couple of days.

Bruceb1875
11-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Well Done to You. I'm Sure A very Large portion of Hibs Supporters will be glad to see the back of Petrie. And I'm absolutely Certain that the Home Gates would Rise enough for All to see Once he is Removed. That day can't come soon enough. I truly believe that Leann Dempster and All others involved at Easter rd will get it right. If Petrie really really cared about Hibernian Football Club he would of Left Long Ago. GGTTH

Bostonhibby
11-09-2014, 07:18 AM
My apologies to you, to the forum, and to Peevemore.

When CWG asked what I meant by "being in the black", instead of suggesting that I meant the same thing as the poster to whom I was originally responding, I should have answered his question promptly and clearly, along the lines of:

"Being in the black" has no formal meaning. To different people it would mean different things. To a qualified accountant it might have a number of specific meanings, such as:

To an ordinary person who is not a qualified accountant, it might simply mean "being in good financial health". Based on the other statements in his post, I took MrSmith to be someone who is not a qualified accountant, and therefore I interpreted his statement that Mr Petrie has "kept us in the black for many years" to mean that Mr Petrie has "generally kept us in good financial health for many years".

I do not share the view that Mr Petrie has kept us in good financial health for many years. I share the view of Mr David Low, that the belief that the club is in good financial health is largely a myth. In particular, I take the view that right now the club is struggling to make ends meet at all. There are long-term reasons for this, for example the decline in attendances - which form the biggest source of revenue - that has accompanied our declining performances on the field. There are also short-term reasons, principally the fact that the club committed a very large sum of money - a sum that is unlikely to have been less than half a million pounds, and may have been considerably more - to the abortive recruitment and subsequent dismissal of Messrs Butcher, Malpas and Marsella.

However, I acknowledge that my statement that the club "is not and never has been in the black" was a lie, and CWG was right to pull me up on it. There have been occasions in the past when the club was in fact in good financial health.

Moving on to the post that caused Peevemore such anger. One of the reasons why I believe that the club is struggling to make ends meet lies in its treatment of the youth team and James McDonaugh this summer. The youth team finished a very creditable third in the under-20 league last season, a higher position than the senior team has achieved for many years. Three of the youth team were offered senior contracts. These contract offers were withdrawn in a matter of days, and the players have been left to make their own way and rebuild their careers however they can. McDonaugh, the only member of the coaching/management staff who has achieved any success at all in the last seven years, was told that he could keep his job at a reduced salary, and has now left the club. This is how these people, at the bottom of the club hierarchy, were rewarded for their success. There could be no 'football reason' for these moves, which must therefore have been made on financial grounds.

However, all of this is a point of view, and nothing more. I had no right to express this view through a satirical 'speech', supposedly delivered by Mr Petrie, which was in fact my own invention. Such devices have no place on fans' forums. I apologise to anyone who was offended by it.

In future, when I am trying to put forward my point of view on a thread and I receive a reply from Peevemore along the lines of:

Look, when you're in a hole it's best to stop digging. You're going round in circles with your daft non argument and, as someone else said so eloquently, you're boring the tits off us in the process. Why don't you give it a rest?

or:

I will take his comments on board, stop posting on that thread, and remove myself from the forum for a couple of days.

I suspect you might be right about James and the youth team and there could well be worsening financial times ahead given where we slumped to on the pitch and some of the liabilities we have incurred off it as a result of managerial disasters.