PDA

View Full Version : NHC What will Scotland's final position in Group D be?

theonlywayisup
06-09-2014, 07:34 PM
In our group are:

Georgia
Germany (World Cup holders)
Gibraltar (first ever tournament at this level)
Poland
Republic of Ireland
Scotland

Could be a tough group, but then again we love a challenge.

So where do you think we will end up.

Will keep the poll open for 3 months, by when Scotland would have play Germany (A), Georgia (H), Poland (A) and Republic of Ireland (H)

Pretty Boy
06-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Think it all depends on how strong Germany are early on.

Adjusting to life without the likes of Klose and Lahm won't be easy, even for them, and they may be vulberable if they are on a bit of a comedown from the World Cup. I think there might be the odd point to be taken from them in the 1st round of games. They'll win the group but anyone taking points from them.could be a factor in the final picture.

I think we'll be 2nd or 3rd.

whiskyhibby
06-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Realistically 4th

Sir David Gray
06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Probably third.

Germany will walk the group and I think Poland will finish second.

I think it's between us and Ireland for third place and I would like to think we'll have enough to get there and into the play offs

cabbageandribs1875
06-09-2014, 09:05 PM
http://oi58.tinypic.com/11kgoeo.jpg

West hamBERNIAN
06-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Think it's going to be really close 234. Can't wait for it.

pontius pilate
06-09-2014, 09:09 PM
2nd is realistic for us we need to get maximum piints from our home and at least 8 on the road which is possible

Wighty76
06-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I think 2nd is within our grasp.

HoboHarry
06-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I voted for 1st place. Ever optimistic and all that....:wink:

mca
06-09-2014, 09:56 PM
http://oi58.tinypic.com/11kgoeo.jpg

I like That..

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Its going to be very tight between 2nd-4th, if we don't beat Georgia in game 2 we are more likely to be 4th than 2nd. I'll go for the middle ground of 3rd.

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Went for 3rd

Germany ..... should be unbeatable, nobody else in the group even qualified for the World cup. Having said that if there is a good time to play them early in the season is probably it .. if we got a point it would be a brilliant result. I wish Argentina hadn't cuffed them though coz they will be looking to make amends.

Republic of Ireland .... will be the fly in the ointment, they will bring a big support to Hampden and look on this as a derby.

Poland .... will be hard to beat in Warsaw and though we beat them last time out they were missing a few big players including Lewandowski. It also has to be remembered that following the Celtic / Legia incident Scottish football aint the flavour of the month with our Polish friends. Another country who should have a good backing at Hampden.

Georgia .... Should be doable at home ... potential away banana skin.

Gibraltar .... Hibs beat them ... nuff said.

Scotland have done well under Strachan so far and we have stopped playing like a bunch of feardies .... there is hope. Lets hope that the luck which has deserted us for so long evens itself out.

PeeJay
07-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Germany will do the business as always - Scotland will raise its game for Germany, but trip up against the supposed smaller/lesser nations, as usual - can't see us amassing enough points to even make the play-offs - these are games for points now, i.e. one's that matter. Hope the team proves me wrong though.

JohnStephens91
07-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Not being a supporter of the Scottish international team, I voted 3rd which I think is realistic. Germany and Poland will likely be the teams to finish 1st and 2nd, I think Ireland's time is done and they will finish 4th.

Scotland will get somewhere between 16-19 points, which I presume will be enough to finish in the play-offs at least.

For me the Scotland game I'm most interested in is the one against Ireland at Hampden. The USA play the Irish in a friendly the next game, so it'll be good to see the opposition beforehand. Looking forward to visiting the Aviva, looks a cracking stadium.

jdships
07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
" Think " we should get third place but wouldn't place a bet even with your money !!:tin hat:
Ireland are the " unknown quantity" you never know "which Irish side will turn up ..... " :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Not being a supporter of the Scottish international team, I voted 3rd which I think is realistic. Germany and Poland will likely be the teams to finish 1st and 2nd, I think Ireland's time is done and they will finish 4th.

Scotland will get somewhere between 16-19 points, which I presume will be enough to finish in the play-offs at least.

For me the Scotland game I'm most interested in is the one against Ireland at Hampden. The USA play the Irish in a friendly the next game, so it'll be good to see the opposition beforehand. Looking forward to visiting the Aviva, looks a cracking stadium.

I love a good contradictory statement :greengrin

When I was a kid growing up a football fan making the first highlighted statement would just never have happened ... you were automatically a supporter of the national team.

edinburghhibee
07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I think we can get second, we are in the up the Ireland team is not as great as a few years ago and Poland will be difficult to beat over there but I think we can beat them here.

Like someone said earlier win our home games bar the Germans and away wins at gib, Georgia and a point in either Poland or Ireland should see us alright I think.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Based on the figures from the 2012 qualifiers, it will take around 19 points to get second.

That means full points from the games against Gibraltar and Georgia is vital which would give us 12 points.

Assuming we'll lose both games against Germany, we would need a minimum of 7 points in the 4 games against Poland and Ireland to finish second.

Pretty tall order but it's certainly achievable.

SJNB Hibby
07-09-2014, 01:29 PM
I opted for 3rd, I think Strachan has shown we'll be no pushovers, and if we can play well enough at home, we should pick up enough away points to at least get into the play-offs---then it's the luck of the draw, but there shouldnt be any BIG teams in the play-offs(ie England or Holland:wink:) so we should have a gighting chance
For the other matches today, hoping for a draw between Georgia and Ireland, and if Gibraltar are bound to get a result SOMEWHERE, then beating the Poles today would help us out a lot

JohnStephens91
08-09-2014, 12:59 AM
I love a good contradictory statement :greengrin

When I was a kid growing up a football fan making the first highlighted statement would just never have happened ... you were automatically a supporter of the national team.

I support the USA because my mum is American, I grew up with a fair whack of USA and Scotland at home. The USMNT have got a game a few days after Scotland get a crack at the Irish at Hampden, and it's at the Aviva. I like to see Scotland do well, but I've been in the away end at Hampden for a national game twice :wink: but I still attend the odd Scotland game, but to say I supported them would be stretching it a bit far.

we are hibs
08-09-2014, 06:42 AM
people seem to forget that last night was our first defeat since September last year. massive progress been made. Poland away will be difficult but we beat them away just a few months ago (albeit they were without a few players). I cant see Ireland causing us any problem tbh.

SlickShoes
08-09-2014, 08:31 AM
We look weak at the back still and will have to watch Lewandowski but if we can put the frightners on Germany then anything is possible, it's been far to long since we have seen a Scotland team with a bit of belief!

I think we can finish second but will probably come in 3rd, 4th would be a disaster.

DH1875
09-09-2014, 07:00 AM
We look weak at the back still and will have to watch Lewandowski but if we can put the frightners on Germany then anything is possible, it's been far to long since we have seen a Scotland team with a bit of belief!I think we can finish second but will probably come in 3rd, 4th would be a disaster.Dont think 3rd would be a disaster. Pretty sure it gets us a playoff place and unlike previous years, I doubt there will be anyone to fear cause the top 2 from the other groups will already be through.

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2014, 09:42 AM
4th

Smartie
09-09-2014, 09:45 AM
That was a massive goal that the Irish scored in Georgia to get the win, puts a lot more pressure on us to win there now.
I think we'll be third - some decent results and the odd duff one along the way but we'll win the play-off and qualify.

WeeRussell
09-09-2014, 11:25 AM
I see us fighting Poland for 2nd. Voted for 2nd (went with Heart over head) :greengrin

Difference for me on Sunday night is it wouldn't have been a smash & grab had we taken a point or even more. Great results and moments in the past against France etc have generally been moments of magic and against the run of play. While I'm not saying we were dictating the game.. we were certainly creating chances and taking it to the World champs at times in the 2nd half... so much so that I wasn't settling for a point at 1-1!! Very encouraging performance, albeit frustrating not to take something away with us.

Here's hoping The Germans cuff everyone else Home and Away now.

Scotland will flourish.

Steve20
09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
4th. Germany will win the group, without doubt. And I still think Poland and Ireland are better than Scotland.

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2014, 02:13 PM
I have a good feeling about this group, i can see us qualifying from it. :pray:

pontius pilate
09-09-2014, 04:11 PM
I went with 2nd before the germany game and im sticking to it pick up 4 points from the next 2 games and we are in the mix however pick up 6 points from the next 2 and momentum will see us get 2nd as 3 teams will be on 6 after 3 games. It will probably come down to goal difference and how many we can put past gibraltar.

ekhibee
09-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Does goal difference still count? We might end up having to score a barrel load against Gibraltar, and even though Scotland should beat them comfortably Scotland are hardly prolific scorers...

cabbageandribs1875
09-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Does goal difference still count? We might end up having to score a barrel load against Gibraltar, and even though Scotland should beat them comfortably Scotland are hardly prolific scorers...

To determine the best third-placed team, the results against the teams in sixth place are discarded. The following criteria are applied:

from wiki

Sir David Gray
09-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Yes, it does.

cabbageandribs1875
09-09-2014, 07:57 PM
i bet McIntosh was one of the ones who voted for us finishing 6th, hongkong dude was probably the other :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
09-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Tie-breakingIf two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying#cite_note-regulations-9)

Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches played between the teams in question;
If, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 10 apply;
Superior goal difference in all group matches;
Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_national_team_coefficient) ranking system;

To determine the best third-placed team, the results against the teams in sixth place are discarded. The following criteria are applied:

Higher number of points obtained;
Superior goal difference;
Higher number of goals scored;
Higher number of away goals scored;
Fair play conduct in all group matches;
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_national_team_coefficient) ranking system;

Keith_M
09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I have no idea what the final position will be but I'm much less worried about the group after watching our match against Germany.

I have to admit to being surprised at just how well we played and how close we came to defeating the World Champions in their own backyard.

:thumbsup: