PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust the people running our club?

theonlywayisup
06-09-2014, 07:56 AM
In the Daily Record thread, James Montgomery states that he doesn't trust the 'people' running our club. By that, I think he means the Board and not the Manager.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/record-fc-hibs-fans-easter-4169012

So do you agree? Do you trust them?

theonlywayisup
06-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Admins, feel free to merge with the other DR thread.:aok:

Steve20
06-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Nope. Don't trust them at all.

Lucius Apuleius
06-09-2014, 08:11 AM
I trust Ms Dempster to do the right things. Like the majority of people I would be a heck of a lot more trusting if Mr Petrie was gone however I do believe his power base is being eroded and he will not be around much longer.

Wilson
06-09-2014, 08:15 AM
I trust them to run the club on the business front. I trust Sir Tom Farmer as an owner to protect the club.

Trusting them not to let us slip below our station would have been foolish - because that is what has happened.

I'm not sure anyone at the club knows how to sustain success once we arrive at it or progress the club beyond those successes. I don't trust in that.

I trust in LD and Stubbs to take us back to the SPL. I just wonder if there was too much to be done to ensure it will be this season...

Pretty Boy
06-09-2014, 08:17 AM
I trust Dempster to turn us around long term but it's one hell of a job. Far bigger than any of us, including her imo, initially thought.

As for the rest of the board; don't trust them one bit. Not because I believe any of them to be liars or whatever but because I believe them to incompetent. The mess we are in didn't happen by accident, we ended up in this situation because of a series of bad decision, a lack of leadership and chronic mismanagement over the last few years.

It shocks me that anyone would trust the people that got us here to be part of sorting it out. The equivalent would have been RBS leaving Fred Goodwin in charge.

Hibbyradge
06-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Cool how folk are prepared to trust "James Montgomery" when they've never met him, don't know who he is, and don't know if he's even trustworthy.

What's the point of polling people about this? Of course there will be a resounding No. Have you read the messageboard recently?

All reason has been lost and people want blood.

This is just another opportunity to mump and moan and rehearse the same arguments whether they have any basis in reality or not.

It will serve no purpose.

Negative, negative, negative.

Trust me on that.

ekhibee
06-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Cool how folk are prepared to trust "James Montgomery" when they've never met him, don't know who he is, and don't know if he's even trustworthy.

What's the point of polling people about this? Of course there will be a resounding No. Have you read the messageboard recently?

This is just another opportunity to mump and moan and rehearse the same arguments whether they have any basis in reality or not.

Trust me on that.
The James Montgomery stuff doesn't make any difference to me at all, I still don't trust them.

southsider
06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Just what have this board done to deserve our trust ? They were in charge when we were relegated from, i would argue, was the worst top league in Scottish football history. Petrie was/is top dog so the bucks stops with him.

emerald green
06-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Given where this once proud football club now finds itself languishing, I wouldn't trust them to run a whelk stall never mind a professional football club. We are losing to part-time clubs now.

The board are responsible for running the club and the buck has to stop at the top, and one individual in particular has to accept that responsibility, whether his defenders agree with that or not.

I have to say also that some of the managers in recent years, especially Butcher & Malpas, have been awful. So have the performances and p*** poor attitudes of some of the players who have not been fit to wear the jersey. However, the board are the stewards of the club, and they are the people who made these disastrous appointments.

I am excluding LD and AS from this criticism, as they appear to me at least to be trying their best to turn things around both on and off the pitch. They've both got a big job on their hands clearing up the mess created and left by others.

Rodsterino
06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
I still think the buck stops with Petrie, so people can Dempsterise all they want, its a no from me till he goes.

Baldy Foghorn
06-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Like what I hear from LD and from meeting her she is highly driven.

As for the rest of the Board, (inc David Forsyth), I don't trust them to run a bath, they were all involved in seasons of mediocrity, did nothing to drive us forward, and we then get relegated. No foresight or direction.

whiskyhibby
06-09-2014, 11:50 AM
I trust Leeann and Stubbs

The Gorf
06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
I think the stress will get to LD very soon unfortunately. I have no doubt she has a very strong personality but there is only so much you can take.

silverhibee
06-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I trust Dempster to turn us around long term but it's one hell of a job. Far bigger than any of us, including her imo, initially thought.

As for the rest of the board; don't trust them one bit. Not because I believe any of them to be liars or whatever but because I believe them to incompetent. The mess we are in didn't happen by accident, we ended up in this situation because of a series of bad decision, a lack of leadership and chronic mismanagement over the last few years.

It shocks me that anyone would trust the people that got us here to be part of sorting it out. The equivalent would have been RBS leaving Fred Goodwin in charge.

Why was there no shake up in the board at the end of last season, do we really need 9 (is that right) board members for a club in the Championship, it seems the people at the top of the club are untouchable for the state the club is in just now.

Baldy Foghorn
06-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Why was there no shake up in the board at the end of last season, do we really need 9 (is that right) board members for a club in the Championship, it seems the people at the top of the club are untouchable for the state the club is in just now.

LD did say she was currently looking at the make up of our Board....

Thecat23
06-09-2014, 12:46 PM
The way I see it we were promised last time we dropped down this would never happen again. We were promised changes as long as 8 years ago.

Since then we have got worse flirted with relegation couple of times then finally dropping out. Us as fans have backed this club to the hilt when called for.

I don't trust this board at all and sooner they all go the better. Last season on here folk that had a go at the board were told give it time. We were told we wouldn't go down either.

I think folk forget this isn't top flight football and we were the worst team in the Prem last season that is unacceptable. If it wasn't for The Rangers and Hearts here the board would have been under more pressure.

I just don't get the ones who still back them after failure, after failure after failure. They don't deliver the proof is where we are sitting.

Eyrie
06-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Yes - I trust Dempster to be the right chief executive, based on her track record and the comments of those that have met her.

Too early - I hope that Stubbs is the right manager, based on our early performances compared to last season's disaster.

No - I have little faith in a board who have failed to put the correct structures in place at Hibs, leading to the major overhaul of our operations that is now being belatedly undertaken.

So I'll need three votes please.

--------
06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
I have great sympathy for LD and AS - I think they've signed up for a very difficult job - but as long as STF and RP are around the place, I don't think they'll be able to turn things around.

Farmer and Petrie MUST GO.

Onion
06-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Trust LD but no one else. Don't get the impression they are acting in good faith when it comes to fans.

Dashing Bob S
06-09-2014, 01:18 PM
LD/AS - yes.

RP/STF - it's complicated...

Sir David Gray
06-09-2014, 08:34 PM
None of the options available match my opinion so I won't be voting.

I have absolutely no faith in anyone at boardroom level except for Leeann Dempster.

How could you trust anyone who has overseen the demise of our great club over the past four or five years or so?

Dashing Bob S
06-09-2014, 08:54 PM
None of the options available match my opinion so I won't be voting.

I have absolutely no faith in anyone at boardroom level except for Leeann Dempster.

How could you trust anyone who has overseen the demise of our great club over the past four or five years or so?

This.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Nope.

Forza Fred
06-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Trust?

Trust them to do what,exactly?

If it is run Hibs as they should be run then LD aside, the answer obviously is a resounding No.

neil7908
06-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Trust me on that.

The bit in bold - I agree some of the stuff has been OTT but I don't think its unreasonable for the fans to want heads to role amongst the decision makers given we've had 7 years of decline culminating in relegation and the increasingly likely scenario of us being a Division 1 side for at least 2 years.

What are the fans supposed to do? Cheer on those who have been charge of a club in terminal decline? They have mismanaged this club so badly its untrue. We were told to expect change this summer and many on here (myself included) were pretty upbeat coming into the summer and prepared to see the positive side of things but so far its been a continuation of the status quo.

Also, I don't think people want blood, they want to see a successful Hibernian football club. If Petrie, Farmer et al can do that then great but recent events say otherwise. And you know what they say about those who don't heed the lessons of history...

emerald green
07-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Trust me on that.

Perhaps it is another opportunity to mump and moan, but justifiably so IMHO, given where the people responsible for the running of our club have led it, i.e. languishing near the bottom of the second tier of Scottish football. Surely it's unrealistic to expect supporters to sit back quietly and say nothing and not express their views?

The purpose it serves is to let people who have supported the club all their lives (young & old) let others know exactly how they are feeling about the current state of affairs at the club. They feel angry and frustrated. Taking part in fans surveys etc just doesn't do it for many of them.

This is after all a forum to talk about Hibs and football in general.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Perhaps it is another opportunity to mump and moan, but justifiably so IMHO, given where the people responsible for the running of our club have led it, i.e. languishing near the bottom of the second tier of Scottish football. Surely it's unrealistic to expect supporters to sit back quietly and say nothing and not express their views?

The purpose it serves is to let people who have supported the club all their lives (young & old) let others know exactly how they are feeling about the current state of affairs at the club. They feel angry and frustrated. Taking part in fans surveys etc just doesn't do it for many of them.

I agree with you.

My point is that a poll (which is a survey of sorts) like this carries no weight whatsoever.

The outcome is obvious. Folk "stormed" the recent meeting with fans, there have been demonstrations, banners have been confiscated at matches, hibs.net have called for resignations.

I think there are plenty clues there about trust.

I think there would be more no votes if I posted a poll asking whether folk would like to win a triple rollover in the Euro lottery. :wink:

Hibbyradge
07-09-2014, 10:27 AM
The bit in bold - I agree some of the stuff has been OTT but I don't think its unreasonable for the fans to want heads to role amongst the decision makers given we've had 7 years of decline culminating in relegation and the increasingly likely scenario of us being a Division 1 side for at least 2 years.

What are the fans supposed to do? Cheer on those who have been charge of a club in terminal decline? They have mismanaged this club so badly its untrue. We were told to expect change this summer and many on here (myself included) were pretty upbeat coming into the summer and prepared to see the positive side of things but so far its been a continuation of the status quo.

Also, I don't think people want blood, they want to see a successful Hibernian football club. If Petrie, Farmer et al can do that then great but recent events say otherwise. And you know what they say about those who don't heed the lessons of history...

Again, I agree with most of that.

I'd suggest the highlighted part wouldn't find favour amongst the majority on here at least.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2014, 10:35 AM

I honestly think that some folk don't realise just how bad this is? We have not robbed the taxman, or stole from every small and large business in the country.

We are where we are because of how we have been run over a period of time. And now we are in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, say it again 2nd tier of Scottish football. Those teams that did cheat are now so far ahead of us on the park we will spend at least 2 seasons in the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

Anyone who try's to suggest we won't, is quite clearly deluding themselves, and either cant or wont see just whats unfolding right in front of them.

I personally think we as a club have not protested enough, and when folk were angry enough to stand outside the doors at easter road and protest after another defeat last season, they were ridiculed here. And even after the arranged protest at easter road where the likes of Pat Stanton spoke to those present, the protest was ridiculed on here.

How far must this club sink, before everyone to a man would demand that Petrie left the club, because it makes no difference whatsoever those who say he has no influence at the club, rightly or wrongly its still perceived at times that he does.

And Petrie is the divisive factor in the club, which will never meet in the middle with him there. And once again, look where this great football club is, when you consider the circumstances and how weak the SPL is, we are in the 2nd division of this countries league, and its solely down to the way the club has been run by one man.

emerald green
07-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I agree with you.

My point is that a poll (which is a survey of sorts) like this carries no weight whatsoever.

The outcome is obvious. Folk "stormed" the recent meeting with fans, there have been demonstrations, banners have been confiscated at matches, hibs.net have called for resignations.

I think there are plenty clues there about trust.

I think there would be more no votes if I posted a poll asking whether folk would like to win a triple rollover in the Euro lottery. :wink:

OK, I see now the point you are making, but I still defend the right to have the poll. How much weight it carries - who knows?

Can we agree on that? I honestly wish there was no need for any polls like this in the first place. I really do.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2014, 10:42 AM
OK, I see now the point you are making, but I still defend the right to have the poll. How much weight it carries - who knows?

Can we agree on that? I honestly wish there was no need for any polls like this in the first place. I really do.

Of course we can. :thumbsup:

I think I'm fed up with the self perpetuating, blood lust, feeding frenzy that the MB had turned into. (That's enough metaphors for one post - Ed.) :greengrin

SanFranHibs
07-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I voted No on ths one.

Can't take the sit on the fence route and vote for unsure as the team going on a run of a few wins does not change the facts and results of the past few seasons.

Also, I viewed the question as literally as I could, 'Do you trust the people 'running' our club so I disregarded AS who is managing the team but not running the club and I am not sure LD is running the club. She is involved in club operations at a high level and I do trust her motives but am not convinced she is in a position to implement changes she might like to introduce.

So, I answered on the basis that the people actually 'running' the club are still the ones who have been in place for the past few miserable years.

Might have been slightly more appropriate if the question was 'Do you trust the people ruining our club?' :wink:

emerald green
07-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I honestly think that some folk don't realise just how bad this is? We have not robbed the taxman, or stole from every small and large business in the country.

We are where we are because of how we have been run over a period of time. And now we are in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, say it again 2nd tier of Scottish football. Those teams that did cheat are now so far ahead of us on the park we will spend at least 2 seasons in the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

Anyone who try's to suggest we won't, is quite clearly deluding themselves, and either cant or wont see just whats unfolding right in front of them.

I personally think we as a club have not protested enough, and when folk were angry enough to stand outside the doors at easter road and protest after another defeat last season, they were ridiculed here. And even after the arranged protest at easter road where the likes of Pat Stanton spoke to those present, the protest was ridiculed on here.

How far must this club sink, before everyone to a man would demand that Petrie left the club, because it makes no difference whatsoever those who say he has no influence at the club, rightly or wrongly its still perceived at times that he does.

And Petrie is the divisive factor in the club, which will never meet in the middle with him there. And once again, look where this great football club is, when you consider the circumstances and how weak the SPL is, we are in the 2nd division of this countries league, and its solely down to the way the club has been run by one man.

:agree: I agree with this Blackpool, but I honestly think that the supporters, in general, have reached the stage where they feel powerless to actually do anything about where the club is at the moment, or to have RP removed.

Despite everything, Mr Petrie does appear to have the continued support of Sir Tom Farmer (as far as I know anyway!).

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2014, 11:25 AM
No ..... But I exclude LD and AS from that.

I simply do not trust STF and RP ... There are two things which make football owners / chairmen worth having and unfortunately our lot have neither. A ) A massive ego which means losses on the pitch make you look bad and you have to do something to get yer cred back. B ) A boyhood love of the club which means its disasters are your disasters.

I do not think STF has anything but the good of Hibs at heart with regards to its survival as an institution ....... His self confessed lack of passion for the game of football, which is mirrored by his chairman, has soaked right through this club and is reflected in its failure to react decisively to massive on field setbacks and its utterly, utterly, appalling and embarrassing derby record.

I do not agree with owners who think they are managers and stick their oar in. But if I had been Hibs owner over the last few years, if nothing else I would certainly have asked our succession of managers why my club had operated for 4 seasons or more without a proper right back.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2014, 11:25 AM
:agree: I agree with this Blackpool, but I honestly think that the supporters, in general, have reached the stage where they feel powerless to actually do anything about where the club is at the moment, or to have RP removed.

Despite everything, Mr Petrie does appear to have the continued support of Sir Tom Farmer (as far as I know anyway!).

We pretty much powerless, EG. :agree:

The only thing which might make a difference would be a solid, long term boycott and that won't happen.

emerald green
07-09-2014, 11:43 AM

The only thing which might make a difference would be a solid, long term boycott and that won't happen.

We agree again HR.

I don't want to see a long term boycott of the club. I just don't wish to see the club harmed in that way.

The only way out that I can see is if the team starts winning football matches again. Sounds simple eh? Whether the current squad is good enough, or strong enough numbers wise, I have my doubts at the moment. It may also take a while for what's largely a new team/squad to jell together. Will the supporters give them and AS that time?

I think Hibs are down for another season, but who knows, they may prove all the doubters wrong. I just think it's a disgrace that this club finds itself in this predicament in the first place.

BSEJVT
07-09-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think the poll title is helpful to the debate

Trust and Competence are two different issues.

Do I trust them yes, I don't believe there is anything untrustworthy about any of them and I think you need to be very careful hinting that there may be.

Do I believe they are competent to return the club to competing at the top end of the SPL. No because there is as yet no basis to believe they are.

I believe that LD has as much control as any CEO of any Scottish Football Club

I also believe though that she has to work within the constraints of a board dominated by RP & STF and its difficult to see any real change to the budgetary mantra, excepting the reality that we will post losses.

My view is that they have simply had to accept that to be the case, or the present revolt would look like nursery children complaining over a lack of ice cream by comparison.

I think we are stuck between a rock and a hard place in that the previous several years of gross mismanagement have given LD & Alan Stubbs a mountain to climb, before they can even begin to be assessed for competence.

In my view it will be pure dumb luck if we get out of this division this year, or maybe next as its far too early to see any changes made having an effect that soon.

Its also depends on how much the support stay with the club and how long the club are prepared to rack up losses.

One things for sure its depressing as hell.

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2014, 11:49 AM

That's the paradox which makes it difficult for fans of football to take the ultimate step. For folk like me it is a struggle to take a decision which could cause real damage to the club, and I am conscious that such a step could lead to the innocent losing their jobs.

That attitude is what make football fans different from 'customers' of any other business and why IMO we are entitled to be treated with a modicum of respect. We suspend the natural instincts of consumers and put up with paying 400 odd quid for what we know is an inferior product and 40 odd quid for a T shirt worth a fiver. Where in real life we would laugh and walk away.

That is why, no matter his personal motivation, I feel insulted and belittled by the clubs owner and his refusal to come out and make any kind of statement with regard to his personal vision ( if any ) for the future of the club ..... especially its on field future.

Ronniekirk
07-09-2014, 12:19 PM

I concur completely with your last paragraph. I really don't think some people realise how precarious a position we are currently in .
I don't think we have strong enough squad to challenge for the title and until we made recent signings I was starting to wonder whether we were a cert for top four and a play off position ,and the next four games will give us an indication of this.
However the Spectre of Petrie clearly still Looms Large and with all the uncertainty about a third bidder for club and what Direction S T F wants to go ( if any ) we really don't know what position we will be in come end of season However if we went into a second season in the Championship with a lot of current issues unresolved, then it's hard to see how we could as a support all be pulling together and we are back to debating season ticket prices and boycotts etc and we really could do without that .
Surely S T F can see that if he really has the Clubs best long term interest at Heart .

Barman Stanton
07-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Trust me on that.

I know Jamie very well. As will many others on here. Leith season ticket holder who is not a journalist at all, just writes a blog which is his own opinion.

As for the op, no I don't trust the owners of the club at all. Look at the mess we are currently in. Been in decline for years and the board have been unable to address it with bad decision after bad decision. I do wonder how far we have to slip for some people to take notice.

Brizo
07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
I trust their commitment to keep Hibernian alive as an institution. I don't trust that they have any real ambition to, short term get us out of the Championship, or longer term to establish ourselves as a team consistently in the top 3 or 4 of the SPFL.

Holmesdale Hibs
07-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I trust them in the sense that I think they are genuinely want the best for Hibs. I also think they're law-abiding and certainly more honest than other clubs (and ex-clubs).

That being said, our club is a shambles and has been for some time. I don't have any trust they will make decisions that will take our club back to where it should be, so I voted No.

I like what I've heard from Leanne Dempster though and hope she is given enough power to make a difference. But other than LD, it's definitely time for a change.