PDA

View Full Version : Five Action Points To Get Us On Track Again

Mikey
04-09-2014, 09:59 AM
With the consultation process complete and (apparently) no new ideas brought to the table, here's what I would do if I was in LD's position........

1. Insist on the removal of Rod Petrie from the board. He's a hugely divisive figure and his continued presence is alienating a large number of Hibs fans.

2. Remove the board members who don't provide drive and determination. They can do their current job at an administrative or managerial level, or just leave altogether.

3. Identify individuals who would provide drive and determination and get them onto the board. If they have previous connections to Hibs all the better but that's not as important as the ability to do the job in hand.

4. Make the fan base fully aware that we're self sufficient and we can only spend what we generate ourselves. STF is the "lender of last resort" and is only there to provide security. It's vital that fans fully understand how this works and the implications of him not being there.

5. Arrange with STF to have all of the payments that are being made to the likes of Butcher, Malpas, Marsella, etc, consolidated into the overall debt and give the current manager as much as possible to strengthen in January. He's being handicapped by RP's mistakes and deserves a clean slate.

Again, if it was me, if I couldn't get past point 1 then I would resign.

Easy :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
:top marks Superb post, and i agree with every point.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
With the consultation process complete and (apparently) no new ideas brought to the table, here's what I would do if I was in LD's position........

1. Insist on the removal of Rod Petrie from the board. He's a hugely divisive figure and his continued presence is alienating a large number of Hibs fans.

2. Remove the board members who don't provide drive and determination. They can do their current job at an administrative or managerial level, or just leave altogether.

3. Identify individuals who would provide drive and determination and get them onto the board. If they have previous connections to Hibs all the better but that's not as important as the ability to do the job in hand.

4. Make the fan base fully aware that we're self sufficient and we can only spend what we generate ourselves. STF is the "lender of last resort" and is only there to provide security. It's vital that fans fully understand how this works and the implications of him not being there.

5. Arrange with STF to have all of the payments that are being made to the likes of Butcher, Malpas, Marsella, etc, consolidated into the overall debt and give the current manager as much as possible to strengthen in January. He's being handicapped by RP's mistakes and deserves a clean slate.

Thats where we are at the moment isn't it?

DaveF
05-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Sadly, we seem to no closer to actually getting past point 1.

BroxburnHibee
05-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Spot on Mike - i so no reason for Petrie's presence at Hibs. Hugely divisive and if he cared at all for the club he'd go.

Hibbyradge
05-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Doesn't RP own some of Hibs?

If he does,how can LD be expected to remove him?

NW
05-09-2014, 10:34 PM
RP is also there to look after STF interests and as his trusty lieutenant

ackeygraham
05-09-2014, 11:01 PM
I think the fans should buy out his ten percent. He is keeping fans away,I know ten fans who haven't came back since said until RP goes we won't be back.

Ronniekirk
05-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Yep sadly The Conduit stays until S T F sells up or deems he is surplus to requirements

Penicuik Hibee
05-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I actually think Rod has done his best and always worked towards the best interets of the club. He has made some good decisions (Tony Mowbray for example) but has also been involved in some horrific decisions (Calderwood for example). He also lost the respect of many for the way he handled the players meeting when JC was here. The reality is that there comes a time when it is time to go. Although I am sure Rod still acts (in his mind anyway) in the best interests of the club and does his very best for HFC, he is perceived in the eyes of the media, the fans, the players and within the industry (esp by the agents) ask a problem. The grass isn't always greener and I wouldn't be surprised if when the next chairman comes in, we don't see posts saying bring back Rod. But the fact is, no-one is bigger than the club and at the moment, the fans/media/football industry view on Rod is that he is a negative influence on the club and this is affecting fans and media perception Hibs. I fear that any replacement may be even worse than Rod as the grass isn't always greener. However,, there is always the chance, a new chairman may improve relationship between club/fans and the clubs standing.
rod has been involved in taking us to an all time low. It is time for someone else to try. There is no guarantee someone new would make things better. But in any other industry, a new chairman would be brought into Shake things up. We need change in our club as it is on its knees at the moment - and Rod has been the person in charge of the free falloff our club over the last number of years.

Leithenhibby
05-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Yep sadly The Conduit stays until S T F sells up or deems he is surplus to requirements

And that ain't happening anytime soon, so we are stuck with him until a deal has been done. :rolleyes:

Forza Fred
06-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Don't disagree with anything in the original post.

Absolute reality is, that irrespective of whether you think RP is a much maligned saint, or an absolute sinner, that our club will not 'heal' as long as he is there.

His continued presence continues to divide the support and like many others I know numerous people who simply will not return to Easter Road as long as he is there.

Even he must recognise his continued involvement is dividing the club.

Leann must be aware of it, but is powerless to do anything about it.

We will continue to implode until he goes-for the sake of the club he should do the right thing and go.

Mikey
06-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Don't disagree with anything in the original post.

Absolute reality is, that irrespective of whether you think RP is a much maligned saint, or an absolute sinner, that our club will not 'heal' as long as he is there.

His continued presence continues to divide the support and like many others I know numerous people who simply will not return to Easter Road as long as he is there.

Even he must recognise his continued involvement is dividing the club.

Leann must be aware of it, but is powerless to do anything about it.

We will continue to implode until he goes-for the sake of the club he should do the right thing and go.

The whole thing is playing out exactly as predicted..........

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?392-hibs-net-response-to-the-club-s-statement-of-29th-May

Pretty Boy
06-09-2014, 08:19 AM

If we have to keep going to STF for a bung then RP isn't doing a very good job then.

Caversham Green
06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
I think the fans should buy out his ten percent. He is keeping fans away,I know ten fans who haven't came back since said until RP goes we won't be back.

It can't happen like that. Rod owns 10% of the holding company rather than the club itself. Any shares in the club would have to be bought from HFC Holdings Ltd and Rod would still own his 10% of that company. Buying his shares in HFC would need the approval of the other shareholder which is a company that is ultimately controlled (but not owned) by STF.

In terms of buying control of the club it's pretty much all or nothing.

Caversham Green
06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
If we have to keep going to STF for a bung then RP isn't doing a very good job then.

On the other hand, if we're only getting the bungs because it's Rod that's doing the asking...

Caversham Green
06-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I actually think Rod has done his best and always worked towards the best interets of the club. He has made some good decisions (Tony Mowbray for example) but has also been involved in some horrific decisions (Calderwood for example). He also lost the respect of many for the way he handled the players meeting when JC was here. The reality is that there comes a time when it is time to go. Although I am sure Rod still acts (in his mind anyway) in the best interests of the club and does his very best for HFC, he is perceived in the eyes of the media, the fans, the players and within the industry (esp by the agents) ask a problem. The grass isn't always greener and I wouldn't be surprised if when the next chairman comes in, we don't see posts saying bring back Rod. But the fact is, no-one is bigger than the club and at the moment, the fans/media/football industry view on Rod is that he is a negative influence on the club and this is affecting fans and media perception Hibs. I fear that any replacement may be even worse than Rod as the grass isn't always greener. However,, there is always the chance, a new chairman may improve relationship between club/fans and the clubs standing.
rod has been involved in taking us to an all time low. It is time for someone else to try. There is no guarantee someone new would make things better. But in any other industry, a new chairman would be brought into Shake things up. We need change in our club as it is on its knees at the moment - and Rod has been the person in charge of the free falloff our club over the last number of years.

Some good points there - I tend to kick back at the comments that seem to indicate that Rod is some evil mastermind whose ultimate aim is the destruction of Hibernian FC, but at the same time he was both figurehead and leader of a club that has faltered for a number of years and has now failed miserably. For that reason, and the fact that his presence on the board is damaging the club both in finance and image, I think he should resign.

He has already resigned from his post as CEO so the operational problems have been addressed, but there is still an obsession with him amongst the fans that, aside from doing my head in, is continuing to damage the club. That's not going to go away, so Rod should.

The Leith Dutch
06-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Thats where we are at the moment isn't it?

Hopefully not putting words in the OPs mouth but I'd say he's highlighting the problem of the fans fully understanding this.

I read a lot of comments on here where the poster is recommending either spending money we don't have or spending STF's money on players which suggest that point 4 is not widely grasped or at least not widely accepted.

Frankly - that's a lot of what would scare me about fan ownership.

Much as this transfer window has disappointed me I'd be blunt and say the bulk of our problems are not about the players we bring in.

Put it another way - putting aside the fact they're yams and just looking at the player themselves: which of the hearts team would you put into our team?

Your answer may be skewed by how we're playing but I honestly don't feel they've particularly got better players than us.

In much the same way - we got relegated on form last year rather than on the squad we put together.

Yes - I'd like better players but if we do as poor a job with what happens when the players go out on the pitch as we have done historically then I honestly think we're in trouble regardless of the budget.

s.a.m
06-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Some good points there - I tend to kick back at the comments that seem to indicate that Rod is some evil mastermind whose ultimate aim is the destruction of Hibernian FC, but at the same time he was both figurehead and leader of a club that has faltered for a number of years and has now failed miserably. For that reason, and the fact that his presence on the board is damaging the club both in finance and image, I think he should resign.

He has already resigned from his post as CEO so the operational problems have been addressed, but there is still an obsession with him amongst the fans that, aside from doing my head in, is continuing to damage the club. That's not going to go away, so Rod should.

Pretty much agree with that. Think it's more than time for him to go, for a number of reasons, but I find the pantomime villain portrayal of him unhelpful and tedious. As the previous poster has said, the new chairman may or may not improve things, but it may buy a year or two of respite from the unpleasantness that's going on at the moment, and enable the club and fans to move forward together.

DaveF
06-09-2014, 09:54 AM

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?392-hibs-net-response-to-the-club-s-statement-of-29th-May

Indeed. Quite sad really.

matty_f
06-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Did we ever get a response to that?

The frustrating thing is that with Dempster's arrival and Butcher and Co.'s departure, this should have been a time of genuine optimism. A rebuilding on and off the park with a rejuvenated support getting behind the Club (new manager, new CEO et al.).

Instead we've lurched from one crisis to another. The rebuilding off the park has seen the Club bring in new coaching staff, re-structure the youth set up, link up with Spartans, and have someone whose remit is to oversee all the football operations.

On the face of it, very positive moves - signs that action is being taken, that deficiencies have been identified and addressed.

However, that is completely overshadowed by the way that the rebuilding of the first team has been handled. The fact we've struggled to sign the number of players the support in general perceived to be necessary means that the number of coaches/backroom staff brought in has been used as a stick to beat the club with.

We no doubt have some good talent that has come in on loan, however because Dempster set expectations almost from day one that she didn't see the value in loans, this too is seen as a negative.

Stubbs stands by his captain, and initial performances through pre-season and at Ibrox gave hope that Craig had regained his form and confidence, yet an unfortunate penalty miss (and I'm being kind by using the word "unfortunate") has left Stubbs in the unenviable position of backing his Captain further and hoping that he comes through it, or destroying his confidence further by taking the Captaincy from him and dropping him. A good situation turned bad in the blink of an eye.

We have our expectations set around the rebuild by being told that our season tickets are staying at the already high price-point (even in the SPL there were justifiable questions around the value we were getting with a season ticket) in order that we get a squad capable of promotion - in fact, our expectations were set that the squad would be challenging to win the league.

Stubbs has brought in good players. I think it's fair to say that each player he has brought in has improved the squad in as much as we've seen already. That fact (OK, opinion) has been overshadowed by the feeling that the changes haven't gone far enough, that we still have to rely on players who were massively culpable in our relegation last season and who still seem fragile to the point that if their shadows were to make a sudden movement they'd likely soil themselves.

Even the early optimism that maybe, just maybe, we'd get Griffiths back was glossed over by a horrendous performance at Alloa, where we were deservedly beaten by a part time team. The reaction to that game, if you looked at it in isolation, was well over the top. The outrage and vitriol spouted on here was incredible, however in the context of the last however many years, the last however many transfer windows, and the last however many performances and bad results, shows a reaction that was completely understandable and probably justified.

Petrie remains a toxic brand at Hibs. We are unable to move forward with Petrie at the club, of that I am certain. There are already people casting doubt as to who is running the show at Hibs. For as long as Petrie is at the club, Stubbs, Dempster, and the players are working with their hands tied behind their back.

We desperately need something to go our way, and soon. Petrie recognising the impact he is having and actually doing the right thing in stepping away from the club would be a huge step in the right direction. Things are not going to get better until that happens. Every defeat is going to prompt responses like the one we saw after Alloa. That doesn't help Stubbs or the players but it's not going to go away. Until Petrie does.

Baldy Foghorn
06-09-2014, 01:53 PM

The frustrating thing is that with Dempster's arrival and Butcher and Co.'s departure, this should have been a time of genuine optimism. A rebuilding on and off the park with a rejuvenated support getting behind the Club (new manager, new CEO et al.).

Instead we've lurched from one crisis to another. The rebuilding off the park has seen the Club bring in new coaching staff, re-structure the youth set up, link up with Spartans, and have someone whose remit is to oversee all the football operations.

On the face of it, very positive moves - signs that action is being taken, that deficiencies have been identified and addressed.

However, that is completely overshadowed by the way that the rebuilding of the first team has been handled. The fact we've struggled to sign the number of players the support in general perceived to be necessary means that the number of coaches/backroom staff brought in has been used as a stick to beat the club with.

We no doubt have some good talent that has come in on loan, however because Dempster set expectations almost from day one that she didn't see the value in loans, this too is seen as a negative.

Stubbs stands by his captain, and initial performances through pre-season and at Ibrox gave hope that Craig had regained his form and confidence, yet an unfortunate penalty miss (and I'm being kind by using the word "unfortunate") has left Stubbs in the unenviable position of backing his Captain further and hoping that he comes through it, or destroying his confidence further by taking the Captaincy from him and dropping him. A good situation turned bad in the blink of an eye.

We have our expectations set around the rebuild by being told that our season tickets are staying at the already high price-point (even in the SPL there were justifiable questions around the value we were getting with a season ticket) in order that we get a squad capable of promotion - in fact, our expectations were set that the squad would be challenging to win the league.

Stubbs has brought in good players. I think it's fair to say that each player he has brought in has improved the squad in as much as we've seen already. That fact (OK, opinion) has been overshadowed by the feeling that the changes haven't gone far enough, that we still have to rely on players who were massively culpable in our relegation last season and who still seem fragile to the point that if their shadows were to make a sudden movement they'd likely soil themselves.

Even the early optimism that maybe, just maybe, we'd get Griffiths back was glossed over by a horrendous performance at Alloa, where we were deservedly beaten by a part time team. The reaction to that game, if you looked at it in isolation, was well over the top. The outrage and vitriol spouted on here was incredible, however in the context of the last however many years, the last however many transfer windows, and the last however many performances and bad results, shows a reaction that was completely understandable and probably justified.

Petrie remains a toxic brand at Hibs. We are unable to move forward with Petrie at the club, of that I am certain. There are already people casting doubt as to who is running the show at Hibs. For as long as Petrie is at the club, Stubbs, Dempster, and the players are working with their hands tied behind their back.

We desperately need something to go our way, and soon. Petrie recognising the impact he is having and actually doing the right thing in stepping away from the club would be a huge step in the right direction. Things are not going to get better until that happens. Every defeat is going to prompt responses like the one we saw after Alloa. That doesn't help Stubbs or the players but it's not going to go away. Until Petrie does.

Top post:top marks

Pretty Boy
06-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Fantastic summary Matty.

Dashing Bob S
06-09-2014, 01:58 PM

I agree with this, and Mikey's original post. It's gone way beyond whether Petrie is or isn't interfering. The fact is that he's now indelibly associated with years of failure and humiliation in the mind of our supporters, and I can't see us properly moving forward until he goes.

Mikey
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM

No.

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2014, 02:29 PM

Once again a :top marks from me.

ancient hibee
06-09-2014, 02:29 PM

I have to say that however well intentioned this is really a load of tosh.

1. A chief executive can't get rid of board members-she's their employee.

2.Similarly she can't get people onto the board.

3.If there are any fans left who think a business can spend money it hasn't got they are beyond redemption.

4 Contradicts the point about spending money you don't have-how is STF supposed to achieve this?

matty_f
06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
No.

Nice.

franks
06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
First of all let me say I'm not a RP hater in fact I think he's done a lot for the club in terms of infrastructure and making sure we stay on budget. I have met the man and don't like him as a person but I don't care as long as he runs our club well.

The picture of him smirking last May was unacceptable, believe me no one else I know was smirking, most people I know were close to slashing their wrists.

For the good of the club he has to go. The only reasons he would not is for personal gain, directions from STF or ego.

Of course there are much more important things than football I know that only too well. I'm Hibs and always will be but I'm at my lowest ebb.

BSEJVT
06-09-2014, 04:44 PM

3.If there are any fans left who think a business can spend money it hasn't got they are beyond redemption.

4 Contradicts the point about spending money you don't have-how is STF supposed to achieve this?

Whilst you are absolutely correct re 1-3, and unfortunately some fans are beyond redemption, quite happy to spend someone else's money in ways they wouldn't spend their own

4 could be achieved by reconstituting one of the mortgages and lumping this debt in with it and maybe renegotiating the term outwards so monthly re-payment amounts didn't change all that much.

Therefore instead of trying to fund this out of short term cash flow it would be repaid over several years. This would take the pressure of short term cash flow.

It wouldn't change the overall debt & liability position at all and other than STF providing a longer backstop, wouldn't increase his exposure

Banks do it all the time to business and personal customers to improve their cash flow / make sure long term overdrafts start to get repaid.

FWIW though I don't think the Bank would go for it, they want rid of all football debt pronto.

Mikey
06-09-2014, 05:41 PM

1 & 2 - Indeed. That's why I said "insist" :wink:

3 - That's why I said that fans have to be made aware that we're self sufficient. I didn't go on to say that those who are staying away would need to take a leap of faith and come back to games because that sort of talk can be very unpopular :greengrin

4 could be achieved by reconstituting one of the mortgages and lumping this debt in with it and maybe renegotiating the term outwards so monthly re-payment amounts didn't change all that much.

Therefore instead of trying to fund this out of short term cash flow it would be repaid over several years. This would take the pressure of short term cash flow.

It wouldn't change the overall debt & liability position at all and other than STF providing a longer backstop, wouldn't increase his exposure

Banks do it all the time to business and personal customers to improve their cash flow / make sure long term overdrafts start to get repaid.

FWIW though I don't think the Bank would go for it, they want rid of all football debt pronto.

Yep.

As I said.................. Easy :greengrin

Cropley10
07-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Great post, my nagging concern, is LD walks away due to RP's continued 'role' or the fans frustration at him still being around. She deserves to be, and to be seen to be, fully in charge.