PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher - SSN

sbell1875
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Just caught him on SSN and he was discussing the possibility of taking over at County. He said he can't engage with other clubs as he is on gardening leave and is still being paid the terms of his contract.

Is it any wonder there was very little transfer activity on Monday seeing that we are currently paying 2 manager salaries at the moment?

Surely there must be a way in which we can get rid of Butcher 100% and put the money we are still paying him to good use?

Pretty Boy
03-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I think under the terms of gardening leave County would still have to formally approach Hibs to speak to him, I can't see us refusing.

Even if it meant us paying the difference in his wage for another year, assuming County pay less than us, that would still be a hell of a saving.

Surely he has enough self respect not to just sit around picking up a wage for nothing after the mess he left us in. On second thoughts......

GreenArmyyy!
03-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Starting to resent that man more and more by the second.

Scottie
04-09-2014, 12:39 AM
This man has NOT 1 shrewd of self respect

If he did have then his management team and himself would have resigned directly after the final whistle of the shambolic play off defeat.

By the time Hibs pay the rest of his gardening leave he'll be a better gardener than Alan ****in Titchmarsh :fuming:

Centre Hawf
04-09-2014, 01:27 AM
County fans hate him so I'd be surprised if he gets that job anyway

The Green Goblin
04-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Pathetic and shameless from arguably the worst manager we have ever had.

macd123
04-09-2014, 03:27 AM
Pathetic and shameless from arguably the worst manager we have ever had.

Not arguably. Definitely.

Waxy
04-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Every now and then i get flashes of the letters TBGAWA written on camoflague.
I need help.

jax67
04-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Just caught him on SSN and he was discussing the possibility of taking over at County. He said he can't engage with other clubs as he is on gardening leave and is still being paid the terms of his contract.

Is it any wonder there was very little transfer activity on Monday seeing that we are currently paying 2 manager salaries at the moment?

Surely there must be a way in which we can get rid of Butcher 100% and put the money we are still paying him to good use?

Why the f#%& was he not just sacked?!!

jax67
04-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Starting to resent that man more and more by the second.

Not a shred of decency!! Anyone else who had been as bad at their job would have been emptied without a penny!! Neck of solid brass.

Onion
04-09-2014, 06:34 AM

With hindsight, a really good question ! He would have sued Hibs for lost earning, there would be no gagging clause and the whole sorry mess would come out in the press - including details of TB's horrendous management style/skills. So there was probably also a lot that Petrie and the Hibs Board did not want public.

Do you think Vlad would have put TB on gardening leave ? :greengrin

The Leith Dutch
04-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Very dull answer (sorry) -

To sack him would have required us either to pay off his remaining contract in a lump sum (or come to an arrangement with him) which was never going to happen for obvious financial reasons or to run through proper disciplinary procedures.

The latter would require him to be presented with the reasons his job was under threat and given the a fair and reasonable chance to address those issues which would have meant he was still in place this season. Not even sure this would work the same way in football but it's how it works with managerial contracts in most other industries.

The only other option afaik would have been to make him redundant if the role was deemed to be no longer required.
That would have left us without a manager and without the right to employ one.

Granted that would still be an improvement on having that a**e Butcher in charge.

J-C
04-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Very dull answer (sorry) -

To sack him would have required us either to pay off his remaining contract in a lump sum (or come to an arrangement with him) which was never going to happen for obvious financial reasons or to run through proper disciplinary procedures.

The latter would require him to be presented with the reasons his job was under threat and given the a fair and reasonable chance to address those issues which would have meant he was still in place this season. Not even sure this would work the same way in football but it's how it works with managerial contracts in most other industries.

The only other option afaik would have been to make him redundant if the role was deemed to be no longer required.
That would have left us without a manager and without the right to employ one.

Granted that would still be an improvement on having that a**e Butcher in charge.

To me incompetence by getting us relegated is a good enough reason, whether a clause was in the contract or not and we now have a new head coach rather than a manager because legally he's still on our books as manager, so making him redundant from that role would make little difference.

LancsHibs
04-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Had to turn SSN off last night, can't bare to see the man offer his 'opinions':grr:

The Leith Dutch
04-09-2014, 07:15 AM
To me incompetence by getting us relegated is a good enough reason, whether a clause was in the contract or not and we now have a new head coach rather than a manager because legally he's still on our books as manager, so making him redundant from that role would make little difference.

For the role change he'd argue that changing the name of the role when it encompassed most or all of the same responsibilities as the role he did was clearly acting in bad faith. If it were otherwise companies could hire and fire people at will with no compensation and while it's tempting to get Butcher off the books we currently have a systematised attack on worker's rights going on across the country which would make this a very bad precedent imho :)

The incompetence part - much as every Hibs fan knows it to be the case - would be almost impossible to establish legally.

I'd love to see it played out mind - expert witnesses like Alan Hansen getting called to question Butcher on why he allowed McGivern and Nelson to punt the ball up the park conceding possession game after game after game.

J-C
04-09-2014, 07:20 AM
For the role change he'd argue that changing the name of the role when it encompassed most or all of the same responsibilities as the role he did was clearly acting in bad faith. If it were otherwise companies could hire and fire people at will with no compensation and while it's tempting to get Butcher off the books we currently have a systematised attack on worker's rights going on across the country which would make this a very bad precedent imho :)

The incompetence part - much as every Hibs fan knows it to be the case - would be almost impossible to establish legally.

I'd love to see it played out mind - expert witnesses like Alan Hansen getting called to question Butcher on why he allowed McGivern and Nelson to punt the ball up the park conceding possession game after game after game.

Surely with Leeann Dempster coming id as a new CEO, a lot of the management responsibilities had moved over to her, the hiring and firing of players etc as far as I'm aware all Stubbs has to do now is coach, he gives a list of players to LD and she does the rest with George Craig. I know I'm clutching at straws here, I just can't stand the thought of that odious man still being payed and his smug ****ing face on my telly.

Tom Hart RIP
04-09-2014, 08:18 AM
I was delighted when TB signed. I met him several times and always found him to be funny, engaging and charismatic. Check out his speech at the Dan Mcmichael gravestone unveiling. I was also impressed that he bought a house in North Berwick within a week of signing, something Calderwood PF and now AS haven't done.
From about January he lost all faith in the majority of our players and didn't believe they were good enough under pressure so decided to give up on the season and prepare for this campaign.
He never contemplated relegation.
He told me that he had at least a dozen players lined up and assured me that they would all be there on the first day of training and promised we would be the fittest team in Scotland.
Who knows what would have happened if we had held on against Hamilton.
This worked at in Inverness and no one can suggest that they were a hoof ball side.
Personally I don't think the players were as bad as he and MM thought but I am not sure they are as good as AS believes.
Last season was a disaster for us and TB as well as his reputation is in tatters.

Just_Jimmy
04-09-2014, 08:59 AM
I think Butcher was a total failure at Hibs. In fact that cannot be denyed by anyone. He was, however, abodutely correct that our players were spineless bottle merchants. The way he went about things was awful though. He should have been much more refined in the way he managed the situation. His man management was appauling and Malpas... Just... What the hell.

Sergio sledge
04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I'd be surprised if many managers are sacked out right nowadays. There's probably hundreds of managers who have been relieved of their duties but are still on the payroll of their club, probably with the agreement that the are free to find a new job at which point payment will stop. It is hard for any employer to straight out sack an employee now so it is much easier for them to do this than find a £500k to pay them off as a lump sum.

Kato
04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
He never contemplated relegation.

More fool him in that and more fool him in his overinflated self-regard as a "motivator".

hibbymick
04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Now he's on garden leave mibee we should be calling him Mr rotavator.

Mr White
04-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Now he's on garden leave mibee we should be calling him Mr rotavator.

:tee hee:

sbell1875
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
If Stubbs' official job title is 'Head Coach' could it not be argued that the position of 'Manager' isn't actually required any longer?

J-C
04-09-2014, 01:05 PM
If Stubbs' official job title is 'Head Coach' could it not be argued that the position of 'Manager' isn't actually required any longer

A point I made earlier.

emerald green
04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I think Butcher was a total failure at Hibs. In fact that cannot be denyed by anyone. He was, however, abodutely correct that our players were spineless bottle merchants. The way he went about things was awful though. He should have been much more refined in the way he managed the situation. His man management was appauling and Malpas... Just... What the hell.

:agree: A recipe for disaster, and the disaster happened. :grr:

sleeping giant
04-09-2014, 06:31 PM
He seamed quite pleased with himself.
What a knob

buktapurple79
04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
No-one will touch him with a bargepole after what he 'did' with Hibs.

Shambles of a manager and a shocker of a man.