PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Derek Riordan

Pages : [1] 2

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
on a pay per play deal providing he's hungry enough to prove himself the player we all know he can be. nothing to lose now!

stokesmessiah
03-09-2014, 03:51 PM
on a pay per play deal providing he's hungry enough to prove himself the player we all know he can be. nothing to lose now!

I am delighted someone has started a thread on this, i was wondering how long it would take. I am going to get comfortable and enjoy this playing out in front of me !

franck sauzee
03-09-2014, 03:52 PM
:fishin:

SRHibs
03-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I'd probably be less of a gamble than Deek nowadays. No thanks.

SteveHFC
03-09-2014, 03:53 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-11542-NPH-thumbs-up-gif-Imgur-Swi2.gif

Billy McKirdy
03-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Nothing to lose. Good call.

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 03:54 PM
What harm could it do, if he's not playing we're not paying him.

andrew70
03-09-2014, 03:58 PM

I have no idea if you are intedning to catch anyone out on this or if you are being serious but I have been saying this to my mates for last few months. We have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this. He is/was an exceptional goalscorer and I have no doubt if he is relatively fit that he could do a job for us again.

Make it happen Alan.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Franck, I'm not trolling nor phishing! I don't see what either party would have to lose and a fit deeks would rip this league apart!!!

I want him, whose with me?

Wilson
03-09-2014, 04:01 PM
What harm could it do, if he's not playing we're not paying him.

He's not playing and we're not paying him now. The arrangement is perfect as it stands.

we are hibs
03-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Are we this desperate? Don't want him anywhere near Easter road and he won't be anywhere near Easter road thankfully.

silverhibee
03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Are we this desperate? Don't want him anywhere near Easter road and he won't be anywhere near Easter road thankfully.

:confused:

Did he get a banning order or something, he was at ER last week to watch the Dumbarton game, is that okay with you.

we are hibs
03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
:confused:

Did he get a banning order or something, he was at ER last week to watch the Dumbarton game, is that okay with you.

I'm talking about signing for us. And you knew that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
:faf::yawn:

tamig
03-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Aye. We'll be back in the Premier again by the time he's fit enough. How many seasons that might take I'm not sure though.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Aye. We'll be back in the Premier again by the time he's fit enough. How many seasons that might take I'm not sure though.

be up to him to prove himself, surely finances getting tight? why not??

tamig
03-09-2014, 04:14 PM
be up to him to prove himself, surely finances getting tight? why not??

Nah. The Deek ship has sailed for the last time. A while ago at that.

woody0-7
03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Why not get big gaz aswell .......000ffft

Diclonius
03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
It's actually gotten to the point where I would consider this a good idea. God help us.

flash
03-09-2014, 04:16 PM
People rip the club for its signing policy then want this. Marvellous.

Pretty Boy
03-09-2014, 04:19 PM
I loved Derek Riordan in both spells with us, he was a special player and I doubt we'll produce one like him again. Certainly not one who will score over 100 goals.

But he has done nothing of note in football for 3 seasons now. Time to let it go.

erin-go-bragh87
03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Problem is, whether he still has it or not, we don't really have time to wait for the 10 games or so it would take him to get back to his best. I'd love to see it but I think we are really clutching at straws. Did see a tweet earlier saying he'd been training with us though.

franck sauzee
Franck, I'm not trolling nor phishing! I don't see what either party would have to lose and a fit deeks would rip this league apart!!!

I want him, whose with me?

Almost all hibbys have now recognised that despite their age. Deeks and GOC are both finished as professional footballers. They shouldn't be but they are. Deeks wasn't great in his last year at us. That was 4 years ago and he's managed 1 competitive goal since. He couldn't cut it at Alloa so what makes you think he will suddenly score lots of goals? Let it go...

Phil D. Rolls
And the hits just keep on coming!

Bronson
03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
I'd probably take him purely for the fact he was my hero growing up (on the pitch, not so much off but that's besides the point) and I know there is a player deep down inside there.

99.999% sure he'd be tom kite, mind you.

.Sean.
03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Why not?

I see no harm in getting him in and having a look at him for a couple weeks. He probably might be a bit out of shape and a tad rusty but he'll still have his touch and a nous for scoring out of nothing.

BroxburnHibee
03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Brilliant

Pedantic_Hibee
03-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Sweet chariots of Nazareth!!!!

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Cannae be any worse than the 'Heff'.

LancsHibs
03-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Problem is, whether he still has it or not, we don't really have time to wait for the 10 games or so it would take him to get back to his best. I'd love to see it but I think we are really clutching at straws. Did see a tweet earlier saying he'd been training with us though.

Why not if we're not paying him? This would be as well as a 'free agent' striker not instead of. Let him come down to EM and get fit, if as expected he's finished or has an attitude the manager doesn't like he is just told not to bother coming back! Nothing lost but there could be a chance however slim that all to gain

col02
03-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Not the worst notion but dunno if the hunger is there now and be brutal if he came back, struggled and the fond memories were replaced by poor ones. The most iconic player in my time watching Hibs and massive respect to him for the goals and pleasure he brought the fans of Hibs.

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Sweet chariots of Nazareth!!!!

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

Lago
03-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Three questions
1) how long is it since he had a club?
2) what was that club?
3) why hasnt he been able to get a club?

JJP
03-09-2014, 04:43 PM
He's my favourite player so always welcome back as far as I'm concerned. It's up to AS though.

TheReg!
03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Whats the harm in having a look? You just never know. Im sure if fit he could do a job for us in this league.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Why not? Absolutely nothing to lose. Get him in as a forwards coach(our strikers have scored an average of one goal every 7.8 games remember) and get him fit. Worst case scenario is that Stubbs doesn't like what he sees and he asks him to leave.

We know the type of character he is. I'm fairly sure he lacked motivation when training with Alloa(not defending that btw). I'd like to think that motivation would return if he was to be given another chance with us. Not gonna happen though.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 04:54 PM
we are struggling and we have nothing up front! all I'm saying is, if he is up for proving himself the player he could be, why the hell not! he's only 30 is he not?

Michael
03-09-2014, 04:59 PM
How is this still being suggested in 2014!?

emerald green
03-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I wonder what affect this proposal ever happening would have on the morale of the current first team squad, and on young players trying to break through into the first team at Hibs?

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 05:05 PM
I wonder what affect this proposal ever happening would have on the morale of the current first team squad, and on young players trying to break through into the first team at Hibs?

as soon as they witnessed his ability and he begun banging in goals, morale would be enhanced dramatically throughout the club.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 05:06 PM
as soon as they witnessed his ability and he begun banging in goals, morale would be enhanced dramatically throughout the club.

Didnt work the last time.

steakbake
03-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Deary me. Nah mate. The only question that Derek Riordan is the answer to is "which former Hibs star with the initials DR has never fully achieved his potential?".

Surely a wind up.

Oscar T Grouch
03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Wow, see we've missed out sublime and gone straight to ridiculous. Deek was a great player for Hibs first time, let's leave it at that. If he was a 21 deek then aye, but a washed up player who couldnae get a game or score for Alloa? Nah, it's alright.

easty
03-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Deary me. Nah mate. The only question that Derek Riordan is the answer to is "which former Hibs star with the initials DR has never fully achieved his potential?".

Surely a wind up.

Nah that's Dony Rougier.

timewilltell
03-09-2014, 05:23 PM
He's not playing and we're not paying him now. The arrangement is perfect as it stands.

This.👍👏

SunshineOnLeith
03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
When did he last score a goal, for anyone, at any level of football?

shetlandhibee
03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
how some off you guys come on here writeing him off? without even giveing him a chance? i think a half{3/4}fit derek riordan would get 20 plus goals in this league, who amongst our strikers would get anywhere near that now that farids injured? he would know its his last ever chance, all he wants to do is play football again,especially for the team that he loves' wouldnt cost the club much{he would probably play for free to prove hes still got it,hes offered that before and was turned down?}in cash, i think it IMHO it would be a win win situation. freekicks?corners? goals!!! who in our squad comes close?

ScottB
03-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Most ridiculous thread posted this week, and that's saying something.

GreenPJ
03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
how some off you guys come on here writeing him off? without even giveing him a chance? i think a half{3/4}fit derek riordan would get 20 plus goals in this league, who amongst our strikers would get anywhere near that now that farids injured? he would know its his last ever chance, all he wants to do is play football again,especially for the team that he loves' wouldnt cost the club much{he would probably play for free to prove hes still got it,hes offered that before and was turned down?}in cash, i think it IMHO it would be a win win situation. freekicks?corners? goals!!! who in our squad comes close?

Lets see if Sauzee is available too.

One Day
03-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Lets see if Sauzee is available too.

You're just being silly:rolleyes:

Pat 0-7
03-09-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.picz.ge/img/s3/1105/4/9/9e2ececcf5fc.gif

tamig
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM

So how come he never got 20 goals in his last season here when he was half fit then? Too many dreamers on this thread. Fantasy island stuff.

HibbyAndy
03-09-2014, 06:19 PM
The best ever player ive seen at Easter rd.

Over a 100 goals for hibs and yet STILL gets mocked on here.

Brightside
03-09-2014, 06:25 PM

getting rid of Petrie won't stop this lunacy.

Bronson
03-09-2014, 06:26 PM

This.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 06:26 PM

yep, some of the comments beggar belief! please feel free to correct me but is this not a forum where people can start conversations and put forward opinions without being ridiculed?

personally think deeks would do a job for us however, let's discuss the good and the bad relating to him not the merits of the thread!

Brightside
03-09-2014, 06:27 PM

:greengrin:greengrin

bigwheel
03-09-2014, 06:28 PM
yep, some of the comments beggar belief! please feel free to correct me but is this not a forum where people can start conversations and put forward opinions without being ridiculed?

personally think deems would do a job for us however, let's discuss the good and the bad relating to him not the merits of the thread!

he has been finished at this level for over 3 years...no thanks...great in his day, nowhere near an athlete who can perform at that level anymore

Brightside
03-09-2014, 06:28 PM

personally think deeks would do a job for us however, let's discuss the good and the bad relating to him not the merits of the thread!

He's finished - if he wanted to play football he would be.

.Sean.
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM

:agree:

Embarassing.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Someone start a bring deek home petition

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I loved Derek Riordan in both spells with us, he was a special player and I doubt we'll produce one like him again. Certainly not one who will score over 100 goals.

But he has done nothing of note in football for 3 seasons now. Time to let it go.

Mate we're signing players who've never done anything of note, never mind the last 3 seasons.

Septimus
03-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Tongue in cheek on some other thread I asked where Steve Archibald is now. Now I wonder if Jimmy o'Rourke is available. How about we look forward instead of back.

Northernhibee
03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Was amazing years ago, totally gash now.

Why would we even consider a player who hasn't scored a goal in how many years?

lord bunberry
Tongue in cheek on some other thread I asked where Steve Archibald is now. Now I wonder if Jimmy o'Rourke is available. How about we look forward instead of back.

Look forward to what? Teenage loanees.

The_Exile
I'd have him in for a few months, we've been missing someone who bleeds green for a while.

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Was amazing years ago, totally gash now.

Why would we even consider a player who hasn't scored a goal in how many years?

If he's totally gash now then he won't get a game.

J-C
03-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Dear god not again :(

Septimus
03-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Look forward to what? Teenage loanees.

Deems was a youngster when he was scoring for fun.

rcarter1
03-09-2014, 07:06 PM
It's actually gotten to the point where I would consider this a good idea. God help us.

:rotflmao:

Was just thinking the same thing. Could say to him, train with us, and if in a few weeks (months) he has gotten sharp, and we are about the play the Scambos…. :coffee:

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Deems was a youngster when he was scoring for fun.

Unfortunately none of our youngster are scoring for fun

Persevere80
03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm in.....Hibs legend in my eyes.

HFC_NYC
03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Just curious here, but does anyone know what Riordan actually does with his time? I can't imagine he made enough from playing to live a life of luxury, and even if he has invested wisely, that won't last forever.

heretoday
03-09-2014, 07:11 PM
We will come back.

There's nothing surer.

And when we do.

Hearts will be the poorer.

Bostonhibby
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm in, if only because now that Leigh isn't coming back he is the only one on the horizon that would at least make the yam think twice when his name appeared on the team sheet.

dmc1875
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
He is a Hibs legend and always will be I won't say a bad word about him. Growing up watching his talent each week was great and night and day to now.

3pm
03-09-2014, 07:13 PM
I can't imagine he made enough

You might be surprised.

Smartie
03-09-2014, 07:14 PM
When Alloa got that free-kick towards the end of the game on Saturday I turned to my mate and said "Thank ****** they don't still have Deeks - these were like a penalty-kick to him and you know what would happen."

:rolleyes:

I wish he would either just join us and start banging them in again or retire, because unless either of these things happen these threads are going to keep appearing giving people on here an opportunity to disrespect one of the best players to have ever played for us.

SunshineOnLeith
03-09-2014, 07:23 PM
When did he last score a goal, for anyone, at any level of football?

To answer my own question, 21 August 2011.

Since the end of 2010/11 with Hibs, he's played 26 games (according to wiki), and scored one goal.

Canongatehibs
03-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Can I have the drugs you are taking?

hibb1
03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Said it before and say again never seen in my lifetime a better goalscorer or a scorer of better goals :not worth and ok he not played in a few years but either has heff in my eyes and he is our main man as it stands now,Let the laddies run about doing the work and then unleash the deeks:thumbsup:.

JJP
03-09-2014, 07:42 PM
It is pretty rank the way so-called Hibs fans are content to slag off every former player we ever had that never played under McLeish, in the early 70s or in the 1950s. Riordan is a Hibs legend.

Bostonhibby
03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm glad the mighty Alloa let him go before he got the chance to line up against the, ahem... formerly slightly mighty Hibs, Guaranteed to score, especially if we line up walls like last week.

There's a short term contract in the mess that is Hibs forward line for a Hibby like Deek, it only takes a second to score a goal and class is permanent. I say this because of what we have available now, in terms of players and money we are prepared to spend.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
So how come he never got 20 goals in his last season here when he was half fit then? Too many dreamers on this thread. Fantasy island stuff.

He got close to 20 whilst being played right midfield most weeks. That was in a strong SPL, not playing against Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton et al

Joe6-2
03-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I'd have him in for a few months, we've been missing someone who bleeds green for a while.

This, why not? We have nothing to lose considering we are going down the pan at some rate of knots!!

Iain G
03-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Where do I start the bring back Darren Jackson thread? Sure he could still do a job for us...

Pretty Boy
03-09-2014, 07:57 PM
It is pretty rank the way so-called Hibs fans are content to slag off every former player we ever had that never played under McLeish, in the early 70s or in the 1950s. Riordan is a Hibs legend.

Whilst there's a few slagging him off, which is unfortunate, I think most of us agree he is a legend and was a fantastic talent. IMO he is easily in our top 10 players of the last 30 years and our top 5 of the last 10.

However that doesn't mean I think we should seriously be considering him as a signing. A 31 year old with 26 appearances and 1 goal in the last 4 years, would anyone want to link us to a player with that record if he wasn't Derek Riordan?

Oscar T Grouch
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
This isnae about slagging off Deek, he's a Hibs legend, he scored some of the best goals I have seen Hibs score, but come on, he's played under 30 games in three years and scored 1 goal in those games, if people honestly think he is still able to play football then why has he not been playing football? Why has he not been banging in 25-30 goals a season since he left us? Do you think the Hibs have a magic wand that will turn him back into the player he once was? Going on the past few years, it seems we've got a *****ty stick that turns good players into gash when they sign for us, no a magic wand. I want a striker that is fit, has played a decent amount of games in the last year and that can score. Deek at this time is not that player. He couldnae get a game for Alloa, hasn't scored since he was in China, he is not what we need here now.

I still love him though and wish we had a younger hungrier version of him.

rcarter1
03-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Regardless of the realities of Deeks availability or otherwise. The Club should be reminded that regardless of financial restraints, they should be exploring every last option available. Theres precedent with Thomson last season. Hell even if the Club did not have a single bean, we could have a collection from the fans after each game he plays. Half collected going to Hibs (or Charity), half to Deeks. If everyone puts in £1 he would rake it in. If he scores a hat trick vs Hearts he could buy his own nightclub to party in.

Seriously though - every option should be looked at to boost the clubs playing options.

SunshineOnLeith
03-09-2014, 08:03 PM
He got close to 20

Eleven.

Walter
03-09-2014, 08:08 PM
He should be involved somewhere in the back room I reckon, even if not playing. Ok, he's not been an example of great attitude, but we need somebody who is a Hibby there

djs69
03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Ha ha ga

Stick
03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
"Just curious here, but does anyone know what Riordan actually does with his time? I can't imagine he made enough from playing to live a life of luxury, and even if he has invested wisely, that won't last forever." (Sorry don't know how to copy as a quote).

I heard him on the radio a few months ago, and he was asked how he spent his days.
His reply was "usually golf in the morning and Xbox in the afternoon."

That's the problem, his answer should have been, " training with (some team) in the morning & in the gym all afternoon.

Loved him, heart says yes but head says, sorry but no.

Stick

tamig
03-09-2014, 08:20 PM

I think most people are slagging off the ridiculous suggestion that we somehow bring him back now. Don't think anyone would disagree that he's a legend. But like most legends, his time has been and gone.

GreenLake
03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I would like to see him after four weeks of nutritional and physical rehabilitation. He can't do anything with a sick and out of shape body. Pie and beans with beer won't work at his age. He would have to check himself into a spa somewhere with a paleo diet menu, a personal trainer and do a complete mindset change. Rocky theme tune in the background.........Deek subbed onto the pitch in the 60th minute against the yams in the playoffs, a quick one two with Griffiths and the ball is raked into the top corner. :greengrin

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I would like to see him after four weeks of nutritional and physical rehabilitation. He can't do anything with a sick and out of shape body. Pie and beans with beer won't work at his age. He would have to check himself into a spa somewhere with a paleo diet menu, a personal trainer and do a complete mindset change. Rocky theme tune in the background.........Deek subbed onto the pitch in the 60th minute against the yams in the playoffs, a quick one two with Griffiths and the ball is raked into the top corner. :greengrin

exactly! we could give him that opportunity, he's only 31 ffs! hardly finished. we have nothing up front and looking unlikely to get into the top six never mind the play offs!

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 08:34 PM
and before any one asks, I have absolutely no faith in us turning things around! Not a sleight on AS as I think he will be a good manager but, leadership and attitude come from the top ... ours??

Northernhibee
03-09-2014, 08:34 PM
exactly! we could give him that opportunity, he's only 31 ffs! hardly finished. we have nothing up front and looking unlikely to get into the top six never mind the play offs!

His age isn't relevant, he's a striker who hasn't scored a goal in over three years.

He's finished.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 08:36 PM
it is relevant, for him its a lifestyle and mindset change that could see him reignite his footballing skill and passion again. we could easily give him that opportunity.

The Modfather
03-09-2014, 08:52 PM
it is relevant, for him its a lifestyle and mindset change that could see him reignite his footballing skill and passion again. we could easily give him that opportunity.

I thought we were all in agreement that we wanted to change the type of player we've had the last x number of years, and change the culture that had/has manifested itself. Signing a player who hasn't scored in 3 years, played a handful of first team games and wasn't even able to get himself fit enough for a trial, isn't doing that.

31 may not be old for a footballer these days, but that is if you have looked after yourself and lived a professional lifestyle, which I think even the most ardent supporters of Riordan would be hard pushed to make a conclusive argument for.

Great player first time round, shadow of the player he was, but had his moments, 2nd time round. Would be like watching your favourite boxer punch drunk stumbling round the ring long after he should have retired if he was to return for a 3rd time.

Nailrodders
03-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Almost all hibbys have now recognised that despite their age. Deeks and GOC are both finished as professional footballers. They shouldn't be but they are. Deeks wasn't great in his last year at us. That was 4 years ago and he's managed 1 competitive goal since. He couldn't cut it at Alloa so what makes you think he will suddenly score lots of goals? Let it go...Bear in mind that Alloa are a cut above us these days...

tamig
03-09-2014, 08:59 PM

Have you replaced Jim McArthur Mr Smith? ;-)

Northernhibee
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM

It's a job for a mid table highland or lowland team to make, certainly not anyone else.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Have you replaced Jim McArthur Mr Smith? ;-)

Aye lol

Sir David Gray
03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
If I thought Derek Riordan was anywhere near fit enough or, dare I say it, motivated enough to play then I would sign him up in a heartbeat. As others have said, he is easily one of the best players to have played for the club for many years and God knows we need a goalscorer.

However, he has done very little since he left us over three years ago and his fitness levels must be questionable.

Personally I would leave this one alone and just thank him for the many wonderful memories he gave me during his eight years with the club, although if Stubbs believes he's worth a shot then fair enough.

He's still only 31 so age alone certainly wouldn't be a barrier. I just don't think he's at the level that would be required to help us at the moment.

timewilltell
03-09-2014, 09:17 PM

I utterly despair with the absolute garbage that at times is posted on here!!!

Anybody who thinks DR is the answer is seriously deluded...

thank God your not running our club.

jeez...........

silverhibee
03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
If I thought Derek Riordan was anywhere near fit enough or, dare I say it, motivated enough to play then I would sign him up in a heartbeat. As others have said, he is easily one of the best players to have played for the club for many years and God knows we need a goalscorer.

However, he has done very little since he left us over three years ago and his fitness levels must be questionable.

Personally I would leave this one alone and just thank him for the many wonderful memories he gave me during his eight years with the club, although if Stubbs believes he's worth a shot then fair enough.

He's still only 31 so age alone certainly wouldn't be a barrier. I just don't think he's at the level that would be required to help us at the moment.

A Falkirk lad like yourself and you haven't seen him running past The Kelpies through the day. :greengrin

TRC
03-09-2014, 09:32 PM
What a waste 31 and finished should have been a mainstay in the Scotland setup over the last 5-6 years instead much like Hibs in that space of time has gone from bad to worse.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
A Falkirk lad like yourself and you haven't seen him running past The Kelpies through the day. :greengrin

:greengrin I used to know someone who stayed near him. Always quite a quiet guy by all accounts.

I've never seen him up the town though so maybe we've got our own version of the Unight scheme in Falkirk! :greengrin

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I utterly despair with the absolute garbage that at times is posted on here!!!

Anybody who thinks DR is the answer is seriously deluded...

thank God your not running our club.

jeez...........

Thanks! However, it's about opportunity because there is no answer to our clubs current circumstance.

So please feel free to add some constructive comments particularly if you know the 'answer'?

shetlandhibee
03-09-2014, 09:36 PM
If he's totally gash now then he won't get a game.
exactley right if he doesent show anything at training he wont get near the first team squad, hibs have been makeing more chances this season just nobody to put the ball in the net! if he got Half as good as he was before he'd be our top striker with farids injury, some folk have poor memorys,

munchar
03-09-2014, 09:38 PM

Whether you want him back or don't want him back, there's one thing there can be no argument about.
Letting Deek train, get into condition & turn out for the 20s to get match fit & prove he's still capable is not a gamble. It's a no brainier!!
The special talent players like him have you don't lose. It's only ever been his attitude and workrate that's been the problem.

ancient hibee
03-09-2014, 09:38 PM
exactley right if he doesent show anything at training he wont get near the first team squad, hibs have been makeing more chances this season just nobody to put the ball in the net! if he got Half as good as he was before he'd be our top striker with farids injury, some folk have poor memorys,

No we haven't we've got very good memories and that's what we want to keep.

silverhibee
03-09-2014, 09:43 PM
:greengrin I used to know someone who stayed near him. Always quite a quiet guy by all accounts.

I've never seen him up the town though so maybe we've got our own version of the Unight scheme in Falkirk! :greengrin

Because he is a quiet lad. :thumbsup:

Haymaker
03-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Because he is a quiet lad. :thumbsup:

He can always turn out for my Saturday side if he likes!

gillythehibby
03-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Aahh. The deeks Returns ! It's like another Rocky film. Thing we all forget is he's not a young Laddie anymore. He would probably struggle tp get back fit. Saying that if fot he could do a job in this league. "He who dares Rodders" and all that :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Eleven.

I remember it being more than that. I stand corrected. Still more than our entire strike force have managed between them in their Hibs careers and likely to be more than any of then will manage between now and the end of the season.

Thecat23
03-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Since 2011 he's scored 1 goal. He's played 26 times not sure how many off the bench.

Derek was fantastic for Hibs he really was. That's how I'll remember him and how most will remember him. He'd get no where near Hibs now.

If he really wanted to prove anything he'd be at a higher level. He could glide past players no bother, at 31 folk still think even fit he could still do this.. No chance absolutely no chance!!

Great memories though.

shetlandhibee
03-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Since 2011 he's scored 1 goal. He's played 26 times not sure how many off the bench.

Derek was fantastic for Hibs he really was. That's how I'll remember him and how most will remember him. He'd get no where near Hibs now.

If he really wanted to prove anything he'd be at a higher level. He could glide past players no bother, at 31 folk still think even fit he could still do this.. No chance absolutely no chance!!

Great memories though.
at 31? you think {if he got a chance and really knuckled down}hes past it? hes been homesick played out of position a lot and been in and out of first teams this past 3 years ,if he got a intensive 5 to 6 weeks training you and a few others think he would be nowhere near as good as paul heffernan? IMHO i think derek riordan would be better score more and be of more use to the squad... im amased that some dont even want to give him a chance..?

boab1875
03-09-2014, 11:05 PM
dont feed the troll. deeks aye? good one

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 11:05 PM
at 31? you think {if he got a chance and really knuckled down}hes past it? hes been homesick played out of position a lot and been in and out of first teams this past 3 years ,if he got a intensive 5 to 6 weeks training you and a few others think he would be nowhere near as good as paul heffernan? IMHO i think derek riordan would be better score more and be of more use to the squad... im amased that some dont even want to give him a chance..?

That's the way I see it, what have we got to lose. Our club is dying on its arse and we're desperate

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 11:07 PM

Over the course of a season who do you think would score more goals, deeks or the heff, I know who my money would be on.

MWHIBBIES
03-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Over the course of a season who do you think would score more goals, deeks or the heff, I know who my money would be on.Probably Heff as he actually has a club.

lord bunberry
03-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Probably Heff as he actually has a club.

You know what I meant.

AgentDaleCooper
03-09-2014, 11:17 PM
given that our team is full of youngsters, personally, i feel that from what i've heard, he's not necessarily the best role model for them. could be wrong, and perhaps he's a changed man. it's also just never, ever going to happen. his reputation really does precede him.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 11:29 PM

very constructive ...

Iain G
03-09-2014, 11:41 PM

But he is finished, look at his recent record.

To put it bluntly, this is a stupid idea. At least O'Connor is still playing the game at some level... :stirrer:

Iain G
03-09-2014, 11:44 PM
That's the way I see it, what have we got to lose. Our club is dying on its arse and we're desperate

Does Alan Stubbs think we are desperate?

Jones28
03-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Let it go ffs

Iain G
03-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Let it go ffs

Kinda sums it up rather nicely :greengrin

hibeesboii
04-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Wouldn't mind if we let him train to see if he could prove himself. Need a goalscorer and if he can do it let him. Cheap option so Petrie would be happy. People need to remember we are not the same hibs team. We just lost to alloa..his part time ex team!!

Bad Martini
04-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Our most prolific goalscorer in the last 15 years offered to play for free when Fenlon was here. Fenlon turned him down.

I fear the boat has sailed.

Shame. I recently watched the Liverpool legends (many far older and more unfit and yes, more talented) but when it comes dead balls, moving the ball and letting it do the work, you can either do that or you can't.

I defy anyone to suggest Riordan is incapable of moving a ball to where it needs to be. FFS, he managed it before and yes, he rarely broke a sweat doing it :greengrin ...the difference would be?

Anyways, boat has sailed unfortunately, unless Silver can have a word, get the Rocky theme tune on, drive along the Baya with the tunes on the go oot the car windae and a dae a mock New York accent :green grin:thumbsup:

MON THE DEEK :thumbsup:

Scottie
04-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Get him Doon tae East Mains to show Heff and the rest of the fit shot shy clowns the way to strike a ball properly.

What the **** we got to lose ?

Hermit Crab
04-09-2014, 01:02 AM
I see no harm in giving him a chance to get fit at east mains then a shot in the team during bounce games to see how he is. If he's still able to beat players and finish then why not.

He does seem to be getting unfair criticism on here though. Nothing wrong with being given a chance. If he were to blow it then that's his fault.

Iain G
04-09-2014, 01:17 AM
I see no harm in giving him a chance to get fit at east mains then a shot in the team during bounce games to see how he is. If he's still able to beat players and finish then why not.

He does seem to be getting unfair criticism on here though. Nothing wrong with being given a chance. If he were to blow it then that's his fault.

Depends how you define unfair criticism? Based on his footballing track record since he left us the second time I don't think criticism is unfair, as was posted earlier, if this was any other player other than golden boy Derek Riordan, nobody would be advocating we give him a chance based on his most recent footballing record.

lord bunberry
04-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Does Alan Stubbs think we are desperate?

I hope so, if he thinks our squad is anywhere near good enough then were in trouble.

Iain G
04-09-2014, 02:45 AM
I hope so, if he thinks our squad is anywhere near good enough then were in trouble.

But hopefully not desperate enough to turn to a washed up ex footballer with as good a goalscoring record as Mark Oxley over the last four years or so... ;-)

leggeto
04-09-2014, 07:50 AM

Sounds like a plan

J-C
04-09-2014, 08:02 AM
I think the least we could to was give him training facilities and have a look.

Keith_M
04-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Get him Doon tae East Mains to show Heff and the rest of the fit shot shy clowns the way to strike a ball properly.

What the **** we got to lose ?

Nae chance, he'd have them all up George St before you know it.

jdships
04-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Let it go ffs

:top marks:greengrin

bigwheel
04-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Has he done anything , in the last 3 years , to suggest he has the desire and consistency to be a top notch athlete playing in a football team again ?

MrRobot
04-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Deeks best move now would be top start working on his coaching badges(if he hasn't already). I would love for him to return but it's purely for nostalgic reasons now. I can see the argument in the "If he doesn't play, he doesnt get paid" argument and it could be worth a gamble but I just don't think it would work sadly.

If he has screwed the nut and he was open to becoming a striking coach, that may be the better option for him and us. Im sure Ajax keep club legends at the club in some capacity and build from that. No reason we can't do the same.

But it would all depend on his attitude now.

Gus
04-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Was easily one of the finest players/goal scorers Hibs have ever produced & I wish the lad luck in whatever career he decides to do, sadly I do not feel it is within the professional game.

If he cannot get motivated to play for Alloa or infact any team that would of taken a chance on him to get himself in the shop window then sadly he is not a player I think Alan Stubbs would want around, Hibs legend or not.

All the best Deek & thanks for the memories, but lets leave it at that. :not worth

04-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Great player for hibs in his younger days but that ship has sailed and it's time to move on.

Thanks for the memories though Deek

J-C
04-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Has he done anything , in the last 3 years , to suggest he has the desire and consistency to be a top notch athlete playing in a football team again ?

soz, meant to put a smiley in there, was tongue in cheek. :greengrin

bigwheel
04-09-2014, 09:30 AM
soz, meant to put a smiley in there, was tongue in cheek. :greengrin

ha! Ok...I'm with you..

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
I'd rather we didn't, there are way too many people waiting to rip him to shreds. He's probably the best goalscorer and goal provider most people on here have ever seen in a Hibs jersey, yet he's slaughtered because he never lived up to their expectations away from the club?

Iain G
04-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I'd rather we didn't, there are way too many people waiting to rip him to shreds. He's probably the best goalscorer and goal provider most people on here have ever seen in a Hibs jersey, yet he's slaughtered because he never lived up to their expectations away from the club?

Slaughtered? Don't think anyone is slaughtering him BH. Yeah there is a lot of dissapointment that he didn't live up to all the promise in the end but we are not a home for fallen ex-players.

Deek is not the answer to any of the multitude of questions we may be posing right now and if it was any other player we were chasing with his recent track record then there would be more dissenting voices on this thread.

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Slaughtered? Don't think anyone is slaughtering him BH. Yeah there is a lot of dissapointment that he didn't live up to all the promise in the end but we are not a home for fallen ex-players.

Deek is not the answer to any of the multitude of questions we may be posing right now and if it was any other player we were chasing with his recent track record then there would be more dissenting voices on this thread.

I don't personally think he should come back, because he's not played any kind of football for so long, and i dont think in a million years he could do it now.

Yet if Stubbs was to invite him along to see if he could recapture any kind of form needed for this league, do you genuinely believe both wouldn't be slaughtered on here?

One of them is now, and its not even on the agenda by Stubbs, just a suggestion from a fan.

Iain G
04-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't personally think he should come back, because he's not played any kind of football for so long, and i dont think in a million years he could do it now.

Yet if Stubbs was to invite him along to see if he could recapture any kind of form needed for this league, do you genuinely believe both wouldn't be slaughtered on here?

One of them is now, and its not even on the agenda by Stubbs, just a suggestion from a fan.

Slaughtered, no, emotionally and strongly questioned, yeah probably! :wink:

Initial indications suggest Stubbs has got an eye for a player, so if he sees something in Deek or any other player he gets in on trial, to train with the club, whatever, we need to positively support him.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure why there is so much support for Riordan, but it seems a lot of people aren't ready to accept that time takes its toll.

There can be few examples, anywhere, of a player being out for two years, and then returning to top flight football. Even more so one who was never a great trainer, had a contemptuous attitude to anybody who tried to guide him, and who failed to reach his own potential.

There was a reason that players used to retire at 30, it was because they lived lives like Derek's. He truly is a throwback, burnt out before his time. It's time for people to say what they see, not what they want to see.

Smartie
04-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure why there is so much support for Riordan, but it seems a lot of people aren't ready to accept that time takes its toll.

There can be few examples, anywhere, of a player being out for two years, and then returning to top flight football. Even more so one who was never a great trainer, had a contemptuous attitude to anybody who tried to guide him, and who failed to reach his own potential.

There was a reason that players used to retire at 30, it was because they lived lives like Derek's. He truly is a throwback, burnt out before his time. It's time for people to say what they see, not what they want to see.

Against Falkirk I saw countless decent balls played across or into the box and players played through 1 on 1 with the keeper and wished we had someone with the composure and finishing ability of Deeks getting these chances and not the likes of Heff and Harris.

I can't believe that he's let himself go so much that he wouldn't still be able to take at least some of these chaces when they come along. Maybe not as much as he used to but we're not challenging at the top of the league above with Celtic and a financially-doped Rangers and Celtic any more.

SlickShoes
04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Since leaving hibs for the second time look at his record without your green tinted goggles on, it's horrifc.

I'd love Derek Riordan the goalscorer back, in a heartbeat, but based on what he's been doing the last 3 years we don't know if that player even remotly exists any more.

GreenPJ
04-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Over the course of a season who do you think would score more goals, deeks or the heff, I know who my money would be on.

Why is Derek not playing football now?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Against Falkirk I saw countless decent balls played across or into the box and players played through 1 on 1 with the keeper and wished we had someone with the composure and finishing ability of Deeks getting these chances and not the likes of Heff and Harris.

I can't believe that he's let himself go so much that he wouldn't still be able to take at least some of these chaces when they come along. Maybe not as much as he used to but we're not challenging at the top of the league above with Celtic and a financially-doped Rangers and Celtic any more.

I think the fact that he couldn't get a game for Alloa, speaks volumes. Nobody in football, can see what people on here want to see.

Hes done. Hopefully he's got some of the 9k a week Hibs paid him last time, still in his pocket.

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Since leaving hibs for the second time look at his record without your green tinted goggles on, it's horrifc.

I'd love Derek Riordan the goalscorer back, in a heartbeat, but based on what he's been doing the last 3 years we don't know if that player even remotly exists any more.

No idea what you are on about? I have said pretty much word for word what you are saying? :confused:

GreenPJ
04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
I think the fact that he couldn't get a game for Alloa, speaks volumes. Nobody in football, can see what people on here want to see.

Hes done. Hopefully he's got some of the 9k a week Hibs paid him last time, still in his pocket.

That is surely nonsense.

MrRobot
04-09-2014, 10:40 AM

9k a week?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 10:41 AM
That is surely nonsense.

He left Hibs because big bad Rod, suggested a cut in wages might be appropriate, as he wasn't delivering. It's very true.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 10:42 AM
9k a week?

Yup.

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Why is Derek not playing football now?

More importantly for us, why the hell is Heffernan still playing?

J-C
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Yup.

Apparently half by the club and half by STF himself, well that's what I heard.

GreenPJ
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Yup.

If this is true then I am even more upset with the board.

We never paid Sauzee and Latapy as much as that and so struggle to believe he was even getting half of that - I thought the reason he went to China was to get increase in wage to £6K a week.

SlickShoes
04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
No idea what you are on about? I have said pretty much word for word what you are saying? :confused:

Claiming he gets slaughtered on here, when most people are just aware that his record since he last left hibs is truly awful. That's not slaughtering the guy, it's speaking sense.

timewilltell
04-09-2014, 10:47 AM

No :rolleyes:

GreenPJ
04-09-2014, 10:52 AM
More importantly for us, why the hell is Heffernan still playing?

Cause he has scored more goals in his career than Derek, still has an appetite?

J-C
04-09-2014, 10:53 AM
No :rolleyes:

Instead of making silly posts with rolling eyes, why not check other posts where I said I missed out the smiley and it was tongue in cheek, or you could just ignore that fact and post anyway. :rolleyes::confused:

GreenPJ
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM

So does that mean that all the people who knock STF for not investing will come on and apologise.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 10:56 AM
So does that mean that all the people who knock STF for not investing will come on and apologise.

Of course not.

Haymaker
04-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Alloa have a plastic pitch which for some older footballers can bring out injuries. In particular, knees, hamstrings and backs.

Deeks hurt his hamstring early in his time at Alloa and the club might have had to limit his exposure on their pitch. Might have played a part in his release too.

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Claiming he gets slaughtered on here, when most people are just aware that his record since he last left hibs is truly awful. That's not slaughtering the guy, it's speaking sense.

Well we shall just have to agree to disagree, i don't understand why anyone would want to slaughter a Hibs legend? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Alloa have a plastic pitch which for some older footballers can bring out injuries. In particular, knees, hamstrings and backs.

Deeks hurt his hamstring early in his time at Alloa and the club might have had to limit his exposure on their pitch. Might have played a part in his release too.

Good points, surprised no one involved in professional football has considered this. Is it possible, they do know about it, and using their judgement, they think he's done?

southern hibby
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Really dont think Deeks would cut it after being 2 years out. However if it was a pay as you play deal we would loose absolutely nothing by giving it a go.

I can't speak for anyone else but if I was Deeks and I knew this was my last chance at football and it was with my team I love trust me I would sweat blood ( green of course ) just to give it a go.

GGTTH

J-C
04-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Don't know if what i was told was true or not, just what I was told, make of it what you will.

STF does invest and has done so when we have been needing money desperately but only to try to keep us in the blackwhenever possible. The fact still remains he has little interest in football and only saved us because we were a Leith institution and community club, if he invested properly and hired a proper chairman who knew what he was doing, maybe just maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Really dont think Deeks would cut it after being 2 years out. However if it was a pay as you play deal we would loose absolutely nothing by giving it a go.

I can't speak for anyone else but if I was Deeks and I knew this was my last chance at football and it was with my team I love trust me I would sweat blood ( green of course ) just to give it a go.

GGTTH

You are not Deek, if you were he wouldn't be washed up at 30.

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 11:08 AM

And the players we have left over from last season are anything better than awful?

Sad thing is, if Riordan came and scored only 8-10 goals in the entire season he would probably be top scorer!

Appreciating that they are not out and out strikers, however, Robertson 2 goals, Craig 6 goals and Heffernan 4 goals....their combined total since they joined Hibs is 12 goals!!! (Source wiki as of 17th Agust 2014 - may be some cup goals missing from that). Add Cummings 3 (?) first team goals and we are raising the roof with 15 goals !!!

Bring him into training. If he looks like he has enough then fine and if not he goes with no hard feelings on either side. And if Stubbs thinks it might work a short contract even just until the January transfer window, if not the whole season.

I would go for that.

WeeRussell
04-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Well we shall just have to agree to disagree, i don't understand why anyone would want to slaughter a Hibs legend? :confused:

I think I am around the 4th person to try and explain this to you but here goes anyway -

Nobody is slaughtering Derek.. nobody. This is a thread discussing what value he would offer us as a club today. Would you rather everyone pretended he was in great shape and at the peak of his career:confused:

Haymaker
04-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Good points, surprised no one involved in professional football has considered this. Is it possible, they do know about it, and using their judgement, they think he's done?

It might put both player and employers off the idea if the player would have to train on or play on AstroTurf on a regular basis.

Personally I can play on grass every week but the moment my side moves to AstroTurf in the winter months I can't train.

Bad Martini
04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Time to go out on a limb...

With the exception of Cummings on the horizon, I Dont think we've got another person in our squad who could come close to scoring the kinds of goals Riordan can score. Forget fitness and consider just dead balls alone; how many corners/free kicks and penalties have we wasted when it mattered? Assists?

I dont pretend to know Riordan's fitness. I do know that you either have an ability to create something out of nothing, or you dont. I doesn't require blistering pace, stamina or adonis features. It cant be taught and I dont think you can actually lose it. If you want to do it, you can and you will.

Did it occur to many that the only team that worked for/suited Riordan (and vice versa) was Hibs? There are other players who have been the same; one team players and done fek all elsewhere, relatively speaking.

:agree:

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 11:25 AM
I think I am around the 4th person to try and explain this to you but here goes anyway -

Nobody is slaughtering Derek.. nobody. This is a thread discussing what value he would offer us as a club today. Would you rather everyone pretended he was in great shape and at the peak of his career:confused:

Most are assuming he is unfit and in terrible shape - who can tell what shape he is in? He might be fighting fit, living a quiet life and off the bevvy! Who would know? But, there are many, who have written him off before we can ascertain his fitness levels and passion for playing. I saw George Best play for us ... we all knew of his lifestyle and condition yet he was amazing at point an still had that touch and finesse. My point is, it would benefit us to have a chat with Deeks to figure out where his head is re football, get him in for fitness testing, give him the opportunity to get fit and maybe, just maybe, we will have a chance with a natural goalscorer.

Silverhibee, you appear to know him, is it worth a punt?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Most are assuming he is unfit and in terrible shape - who can tell what shape he is in? He might be fighting fit, living a quiet life and off the bevvy! Who would know? But, there are many, who have written him off before we can ascertain his fitness levels and passion for playing. I saw George Best play for us ... we all knew of his lifestyle and condition yet he was amazing at point an still had that touch and finesse. My point is, it would benefit us to have a chat with Deeks to figure out where his head is re football, get him in for fitness testing, give him the opportunity to get fit and maybe, just maybe, we will have a chance with a natural goalscorer.

Did having George Best in the team make any difference to where we ended up?

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Different era. However, he paid his way when playing as it was a pay-per-game agreement and bonus for each goal if I recall correctly.

GreenPJ
04-09-2014, 11:33 AM

If he was fit then why is he not playing.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Different era. However, he paid his way when playing as it was a pay-per-game agreement and bonus for each goal if I recall correctly.

How much higher up the league did we climb after he arrived, and did we avoid relegation?

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Then why is any free agent not playing?

We have to accept we are currently in the market for free agents only, which means of course they ain't playing!!!!

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 11:36 AM

Isn't that the question worth finding out instead of just simply writing him off?

As haymaker said, it could be as simple as Hibs for Derek Riordan and everywhere else just wasn't for him!?

Who would know ... SH?

ahibby
04-09-2014, 11:36 AM
No thanks.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Isn't that the question worth finding out instead of just simply writing him off?

As haymaker said, it could be as simple as Hibs for Derek Riordan and everywhere else just wasn't for him!?

Who would know ... SH?

We could also make enquiries about every other big player that hasn't played for nearly three years. It's pretty clear from all that's happened in that period that he has shot it.

Iain G

Since leaving us for a second time:

Shaanxi Chan-Ba Appearances 9 Goals 2012
St. Johnstone Appearances 4 Goals 2012
Bristol Rovers Appearances 11 Goals 2014
Alloa Athletic Appearances 2 Goals 0

As I said before, any other player we were even being vaguely linked to with these kind of stats would be getting people worried, yet it's Deek, so the prodigal son makes amazing recovery Lazarus would be proud of? Can't see it based on 1 goal in 26 matches in 3 years.

It's time to move on.

MrSmith
How much higher up the league did we climb after he arrived, and did we avoid relegation?

One man doesn't make a team! Yes we were relegated.

Right now though, we cannot score goals, we have no recognised striker! We need a bloody miracle right now, give me a better solution given we have no money.

J-C
04-09-2014, 11:40 AM

But he added 2 thousand to the gate which payed for his wages.

Iain G
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Right now though, we cannot score goals, we have no recognised striker! We need a bloody miracle right now, give me a better solution given we have no money.

Cummings
Sinclair
Heffernan
Allan
Handling

All recognised strikers...and Stubbs is looking for a replacement for El Alagui.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:44 AM

You sound desperate. Have you ever considered religion? :greengrin

But he added 2 thousand to the gate which payed for his wages.

So, the books balanced, but the team didn't perform. Why does that sound familiar? :hmmm:

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Cummings
Sinclair
Heffernan
Allan
Handling

All recognised strikers...and Stubbs is looking for a replacement for El Alagui.

How many goals has each scored this season? What is their combined total? And, I hope AS is looking for a striker.

Beefster
04-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Riordan's going to be in his 40's before these types of threads disappear.

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 11:49 AM

So, the books balanced, but the team didn't perform. Why does that sound familiar? :hmmm:

Am an atheist! Releigion is for those who lose hope, I'm flippin angry!

Sure does sound familiar but £2000 was some outlay at that time and maybe our dynamic duo should think about doing the same before we end up in the second division!

J-C
04-09-2014, 11:49 AM

I know what you're saying but Best was one of the greatest players ever to walk this planet and just having the chance to see the great man even at that stage in his career was well worth it, Riordan is a different kettle of fish, at least Best was playing regularly, yes the drink was now taking it's toll but he only played 17 games, it was more a PR stunt than anything else, people are serious about Riordan. :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Riordan's going to be in his 40's before these types of threads disappear.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested we move for Gascoigne.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I know what you're saying but Best was one of the greatest players ever to walk this planet and just having the chance to see the great man even at that stage in his career was well worth, Riordan is a different kettle of fish, at least Best was playing regularly, yes the drink was now taking it's toll but he only played 17 games, it was more a PR stunt than anything else, people are serious about Riordan. :confused:

People are saying, sign someone who is past their best, because even at 75% of that level they'll Mae a difference to the season. It didn't work that way with one of the greatest players ever, and it won't work with Riordan.

Apart from anything else, we need players with a higher work rate to get out of this league. Riordan would cost us goals, and would cause an unhappy dressing room.

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 11:56 AM

Agreed.

It is ridiculous that we are arguing over the possible benefits of a player who has not played for a considerable time, but we cannot avoid the fact that even for allowing that they are not in the team as 'goalscorers' I have to repeat the total league goals scored by the 'core' of our team in their entire Hibs careers.

Craig (6)
Heffernan (4)
Robertson (2)
Cummings (1 + 2 playoff goals)
Harris (0)
Stevenson (2)
Handling (1)

and of course
Oxley(1) :wink:

source: wiki

Of course they are not expected to play the centre forward role or the LG role, however, this is the core from last year on whom we are dependent for goals. I know we have a couple of loans but they are not proven goalscorers.

It just worries me. We might and will improve in the sense that we can play the ball out from the back, play with more confidence as we did in the Rangers game but who out of this lot is likely to score?

It may not be Riordan but we had better get some strikers down to East Mains to see if they can help us otherwise expect the old joke to be revived and people thinking we are actually called Hibs Nil.

J-C
04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
People are saying, sign someone who is past their best, because even at 75% of that level they'll Mae a difference to the season. It didn't work that way with one of the greatest players ever, and it won't work with Riordan.

Apart from anything else, we need players with a higher work rate to get out of this league. Riordan would cost us goals, and would cause an unhappy dressing room.

That's what I said about Best, PR stunt added bums on seats and a chance to see one the greatest of all time, Deek is a washed up pretty good player, we need winners to get promotion.

WeeRussell
04-09-2014, 12:00 PM
How many goals has each scored this season? What is their combined total? And, I hope AS is looking for a striker.

Cummings 1
Sinclair
Heffernan
Allan
Handling 1
El Alagui 4

I make that a combined total of 6.

We've played 5 competitive games and 4 of the listed players have barely played 2 matches between them. Sinclair only joined us a couple of days ago.

Can you see how you're being ridiculous yet?

WeeRussell
04-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested we move for Gascoigne.

Russell Latapy was the one going through my head :whistle:

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Really? Riordan would cost us goals? Where do you think he might be played? Backup to Oxley? And an unhappy dressing room? Oh, yes last season and this season it's a real mardi gras in there!! A bunch of peace loving, happy, groovy hippies.

Next you'll be telling us that he will cause unrest in the stands and crowds will be dropping off and season ticket sales will plummet.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Am an atheist! Releigion is for those who lose hope, I'm flippin angry!

Sure does sound familiar but £2000 was some outlay at that time and maybe our dynamic duo should think about doing the same before we end up in the second division!

Even though it didn't work the last time? That would be insane!

MrRobot
04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
If this is true then I am even more upset with the board.

We never paid Sauzee and Latapy as much as that and so struggle to believe he was even getting half of that - I thought the reason he went to China was to get increase in wage to £6K a week.

I thought we paid Latapy and Sauzee more than that?

3pm
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
210 posts - excellent!

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Really? Riordan would cost us goals? Where do you think he might be played? Backup to Oxley? And an unhappy dressing room? Oh, yes last season and this season it's a real mardi gras in there!! A bunch of peace loving, happy, groovy hippies.

Next you'll be telling us that he will cause unrest in the stands and crowds will be dropping off and season ticket sales will plummet.

20 odd years ago Alex Miller explained how a forward who loses the ball to the opposition sets up a counter attack. It still hasn't sunk in with many people, but it is pretty much the way the games played now.

Next you'll be telling me that you believe in the tooth fairy. Because that's the leap of faith most seem ready to take on Derek.

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 12:25 PM
20 odd years ago Alex Miller explained how a forward who loses the ball to the opposition sets up a counter attack. It still hasn't sunk in with many people, but it is pretty much the way the games played now.

Next you'll be telling me that you believe in the tooth fairy. Because that's the leap of faith most seem ready to take on Derek.

If any player loses the ball then the opportunity for counter attack is there - common sense! Also I'm sure the Rock is the tooth fairy. However, we need a leap of faith to somewhere cos it aint happening just now!

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
If any player loses the ball then the opportunity for counter attack is there - common sense! Also I'm sure the Rock is the tooth fairy. However, we need a leap of faith to somewhere cos it aint happening just now!

If the team was grinding out draws I'd take a punt.

lord bunberry
04-09-2014, 12:28 PM

But it's not really a leap of faith is it? We bring him in, get him fit then try him out in the under 20s, if he doesn't cut it there then he wouldn't get anywhere near the first team. The way some people are going on you would think the plan was to sign him and stick him straight in the team. If Riordan could recapture his old form we'd have a match winner in our team, if he can't then he won't get a game. I can't see where the risk is for us. We're 3rd bottom of the league and our top scorer is out injured, our most prolific striker of recent times is on the golf course.

cmcd
04-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Even though it didn't work the last time? That would be insane!
For me this thread is pointless Does anyone seriously think that AS is going to sign Riordan I will no doubt upset posters who call him a legend Sorry guys not for me Real Hibs legends are Lawrie R -P Stanton -W Hamilton - J Baker -G Smith - N Martin -Jimmy Orourke Need i go on ?

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 12:37 PM

Well, if Alex Miller explained this 20 odd years ago we must this truth to be self evident. In fact let's take it further and say that ANYTIME a team does not score and gives up possession they are effectively turning the ball over and the other team will have possession and might score!!! Or are you saying it is ok to be rank rotten as long as you have a shot that might miss the target by 20 yards but gives the defence time to get back?

I really don't think we can build our team on Alex Miller's great insight and indeed I would have thought that everyone would have known that counter attacks happen when one team loses possession and the other team gains possession and attacks swiftly. Yet, you tell me it has not sunk in with many people. Well, let me congratulate you on being one of the enlightened.

Is the tooth fairy one of Mr Millers or did you manage to come up with that on your own?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 12:39 PM
But it's not really a leap of faith is it? We bring him in, get him fit then try him out in the under 20s, if he doesn't cut it there then he wouldn't get anywhere near the first team. The way some people are going on you would think the plan was to sign him and stick him straight in the team. If Riordan could recapture his old form we'd have a match winner in our team, if he can't then he won't get a game. I can't see where the risk is for us. We're 3rd bottom of the league and our top scorer is out injured, our most prolific striker of recent times is on the golf course.

Youd think the guy was Messi, the way people are going on about him. He scored goals in a good team. He came back a second time and was less impressive. This time we are expecting him to regain fitness lost over three years, and be ready for Christmas. Sheer desperation, and wishful thinking. No manager of any team us going to sign him - it tells you something.

lord bunberry
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Youd think the guy was Messi, the way people are going on about him. He scored goals in a good team. He came back a second time and was less impressive. This time we are expecting him to regain fitness lost over three years, and be ready for Christmas. Sheer desperation, and wishful thinking. No manager of any team us going to sign him - it tells you something.

But do you agree that a fit and inform Derek Riordan would be an asset to us? I agree it's a long shot and sheer desperation, but we're desperate. I've yet to read a good reason on this thread that convinces me that it wouldn't be worth trying.

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 12:44 PM

you appear to think we are not in a desperate situation?? Its an opportunity to assess him and see if he can help us by scoring goals, if not, nothing lost! I don't think he's Messi, just a proven goalscorer for us.

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
For me this thread is pointless Does anyone seriously think that AS is going to sign Riordan I will no doubt upset posters who call him a legend Sorry guys not for me Real Hibs legends are Lawrie R -P Stanton -W Hamilton - J Baker -G Smith - N Martin -Jimmy Orourke Need i go on ?

I really don't think people are suggesting that AS will sign Riordan. It is just that some feel his abilities to put the ball in the net might still be considerably better than what we have. For me it is more a case of getting some strikers on trial because this team will struggle to score goals regularly enough to challenge at the top end. With El Alagui going down we are in dire need. I don't care who they are but we need someone quickly or at least in my opinion we do. And as we are reduced to free agents who have no club and as there is no planned Jarrow March of 50,000 high quality strikers demanding employment I think we are going to be giving a few trials to umemplioyed strikers of varying quality.

We just have to hope there is a gem out there who somehow has fallen through a crack in the transfer window and AS finds him.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
But do you agree that a fit and inform Derek Riordan would be an asset to us? I agree it's a long shot and sheer desperation, but we're desperate. I've yet to read a good reason on this thread that convinces me that it wouldn't be worth trying.

you appear to think we are not in a desperate situation?? Its an opportunity to assess him and see if he can help us by scoring goals, if not, nothing lost! I don't think he's Messi, just a proven goalscorer for us.

I think he has shot it, and we are wasting our time trying to rebuild him. We'd be as well taking a punt on O'Connor or McFadden, or Skacel.

When you find yourself in a hole you stoo digging. Things are deperate, and its time to look to the future.

KeithTheHibby
04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
We should sign GOC too, at least he is playing football at some kind of level at the moment.

SlickShoes
04-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Bringing him in out of the wilderness would really boost the confidence of the other players at the club just now I am sure.

Maybe AS could pin them up against the wall to try and motivate them too!

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I think he has shot it, and we are wasting our time trying to rebuild him. We'd be as well taking a punt on O'Connor or McFadden, or Skacel.

When you find yourself in a hole you stoo digging. Things are deperate, and its time to look to the future.

You've just solved our forward line problem :greengrin

I think EVERYONE would agree with you except given that as of right now, we are looking to umemployed free agents and our options are extremely limited. Maybe not so limited that AS should consider Riordan, McFadden or whomever but does anyone have names of decent free agents we can bring in?

Or is that some Hibs fans still have faith that this squad can score enough goals to get us up near the top. Not just knock the ball about and look prettier but actually score goals! I don't.

Northernhibee
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
If I was to say "Inside info - we're signing a striker. Didn't get games at Alloa and hasnae scored in three years" people would be up in arms and down to ER for the daily protest. We need someone to be good now. Seek was amazing a few years ago but pish now, can we please knock all this on the head?

SanFranHibs
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
If I was to say "Inside info - we're signing a striker. Didn't get games at Alloa and hasnae scored in three years" people would be up in arms and down to ER for the daily protest. We need someone to be good now. Seek was amazing a few years ago but pish now, can we please knock all this on the head?

Do you know when this will be knocked on the head? When we actually go and and get a quality striker!

ScottB
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Let's bring back Sauzee as well, I mean, he was great years ago, so must surely still be great now, right?!

Honestly, people need to get over this. Riordan, was great back in the day, particularly his first spell. He has basically not played football in 3 years. If Hibs had signed a player with that track record, this board would have imploded with the rage posting that would have followed.

Secondly, got to point out the obvious that not wanting to sign him now is NOT disrespecting a 'Hibs Legend' it's not 'forgetting what he did for us' or anything else. A player can be both great in the past, and not great now. The club is in a big enough mess without turning into a rehab centre for our wayward former youth players to try and rebuild their careers again, especially a guy that would have journalists trailing him 24/7 in the hope they see a bouncer look at him funny in order to churn out more sensationalist headlines.

I wish him well in whatever he's up to these days, I really do, but both he, and we, are better off heading our separate ways.

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Let's bring back Sauzee as well, I mean, he was great years ago, so must surely still be great now, right?!

Honestly, people need to get over this. Riordan, was great back in the day, particularly his first spell. He has basically not played football in 3 years. If Hibs had signed a player with that track record, this board would have imploded with the rage posting that would have followed.

Secondly, got to point out the obvious that not wanting to sign him now is NOT disrespecting a 'Hibs Legend' it's not 'forgetting what he did for us' or anything else. A player can be both great in the past, and not great now. The club is in a big enough mess without turning into a rehab centre for our wayward former youth players to try and rebuild their careers again, especially a guy that would have journalists trailing him 24/7 in the hope they see a bouncer look at him funny in order to churn out more sensationalist headlines.

I wish him well in whatever he's up to these days, I really do, but both he, and we, are better off heading our separate ways.

I'll bet you anything you like Sauzee is still in good shape and could do a wee turn every now and then :) I'm not Riordans greatest supporter at all however, no-one, against this solution in principle, has given a reasonable reason for not trying it! "in the past" "not played for 3 years" "not scored a goal for three years" "not interested" FFS who would know what condition he is in or where his head is at? For all we know, he could be banging in goals left right and center for some amateur team somewhere!!

Silverhibee - do you know?

GreenLake
04-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Someone needs to explain that to a couple of our midfielders.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I'll bet you anything you like Sauzee is still in good shape and could do a wee turn every now and then :) I'm not Riordans greatest supporter at all however, no-one, against this solution in principle, has given a reasonable reason for not trying it! "in the past" "not played for 3 years" "not scored a goal for three years" "not interested" FFS who would know what condition he is in or where his head is at? For all we know, he could be banging in goals left right and center for some amateur team somewhere!!

Silverhibee - do you know?

The only reason more valid than those that you have quoted would be "he has no legs".

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Also, why knock this thread on the head? Its a forum is it not where discussion is paramount and opinions are put forward? 8 pages and 200+ posts would say that it is of interest. But am biased mind.

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
The reason more valid than those that you have quoted would be "he has no legs".

how do you know? I haven't heard nor read anything to substantiate that statement.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 01:15 PM
how do you know? I haven't heard nor read anything to substantiate that statement.

Chrystal Meth has devastating consequences - a bloke in the pub told me.

ancient hibee
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I saw a photo of Joe Harper in the paper -pretty sure he could get himself in shape by Christmas-although I'm told Jenners don't have a Santa anymore.

Smartie
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Sorry to go off-topic but if Alex Miller had spent anything like enough time concentrating on what his own incredibly talented group of players could do to the opposition and less time worrying about what the opposition could do to them - especially when one of our attackers had the ball - he might now have been considered to be the best, most successful and revered manager we have ever had. Instead.........

We've seen our team toil badly to score goals for about a year now and that has seen us relegated. This season we've already seen points slip through our fingers through creating but missing plenty of chances. We've lost our main striker for months and we've failed to make any significant moves to address this whilst the transfer window was open. There's a guy who many of us will have seen, in the flesh, score upwards of 100 goals for Hibs who is currently without a club and we're not hearing much about in spite of still being of an age where he should still be able to make a positive contribution albeit maybe not as sharp as he was 10 years ago. I don't think it's mental to ask the question as to whether he might be worth a wee trial to see whether he still had it or not. Without that none of us really know.

ancient hibee
04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Sorry to go off-topic but if Alex Miller had spent anything like enough time concentrating on what his own incredibly talented group of players could do to the opposition and less time worrying about what the opposition could do to them - especially when one of our attackers had the ball - he might now have been considered to be the best, most successful and revered manager we have ever had. Instead.........

We've seen our team toil badly to score goals for about a year now and that has seen us relegated. This season we've already seen points slip through our fingers through creating but missing plenty of chances. We've lost our main striker for months and we've failed to make any significant moves to address this whilst the transfer window was open. There's a guy who many of us will have seen, in the flesh, score upwards of 100 goals for Hibs who is currently without a club and we're not hearing much about in spite of still being of an age where he should still be able to make a positive contribution albeit maybe not as sharp as he was 10 years ago. I don't think it's mental to ask the question as to whether he might be worth a wee trial to see whether he still had it or not. Without that none of us really know.

Well what we do really know is that he wasn't good enough for Alloa.

Smartie
04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Well what we do really know is that he wasn't good enough for Alloa.

I don't really know if that's where we set the bar any more because we weren't good enough to beat Alloa.

I heard his time there was frustrated by niggling injury rather than anything else.

Gus
04-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Agreed :agree:

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Agreed :agree:

Trial and or assessment not sign at the moment!

silverhibee
04-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Did he not get injured while at Alloa, he was playing games and then he got injured, but don't let that get in the way of your fairy tale.

9k, take it you can back that up as i think you are lying.

silverhibee
04-09-2014, 02:38 PM
He left Hibs because big bad Rod, suggested a cut in wages might be appropriate, as he wasn't delivering. It's very true.

Being the top goal scorer wasn't delivering, whatever.

silverhibee
04-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Not true.

silverhibee
04-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Only if you believe Filled Rolls.

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Not true.

Glad you have entered the fray ;) What kind of condition is he in? If he is spending lots of time on the golf course, I'm sure he'll not be too unfit (hopefully) :)

silverhibee
04-09-2014, 02:42 PM

His first long term injury in his football career.

And yes training on the astro didn't help his recovery.

cmcd
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Failed to make any significant moves to address this whilst the transfer window was open You know this HOW AS and LD have both stated they have and still are trying to bring in a striker I would think it is not easy as we are not an attractive proposition at the moment

Keith_M
04-09-2014, 02:59 PM
So many pages on this thread.

:greengrin

MrSmith
04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
So many pages on this thread.

:greengrin

I know, cool eh :greengrin I never thought it would spark this much interest when posted. :aok: shows you how deep the feelings lay:not worth

Juice-Terry
04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Honestly, what do we have to lose from giving him the chance to get a pay-as-you-play deal? If he's *****, just let him go. Nothing to lose and - a very small chance - of gaining something. Dominance thinking you see....

patch1875
04-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Does he actually want to play again? Does he keep himself fit? If GOC can suck it up and play at a low level, if he had any desire he would have found a club by now surely or is he waiting on a call from a big club thats never going to happen.

silverhibee
04-09-2014, 03:29 PM

How do you come to that conclusion, has he caused problems before in the changing room at Hibs in the past.

timewilltell
04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Honestly, what do we have to lose from giving him the chance to get a pay-as-you-play deal? If he's *****, just let him go. Nothing to lose and - a very small chance - of gaining something. Dominance thinking you see....

FFS stop living in the past!! It's like you that have got this club in such a mess!!!

Riorden was done a long time ago :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: