PDA

View Full Version : Our Club has given up!....

Moon unit
03-09-2014, 08:15 AM
The board and owners have displayed their contempt for all things Hibernian and raised the White!

IanM
03-09-2014, 08:21 AM
A bit early for a beer my friend

Waxy
03-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Deary me. We've made good signings. No team has outplayed us and we've been a bit unfortunate so far.plus did anyone really think we could get LG anyway before the speculation started last week?

SlickShoes
03-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Deary me. We've made good signings. No team has outplayed us and we've been a bit unfortunate so far.plus did anyone really think we could get LG anyway before the speculation started last week?

Alloa out played us, pretty comprehensively all over the park.

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKzENkZqHDGl5yHoz7WbV7DCtmtUZbz LHJGIiTPNfnouV2hht4

Steve20
03-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Deary me. We've made good signings. No team has outplayed us and we've been a bit unfortunate so far

How long are we going to play the unfortunate card for, until people realise we've been left with a squad not good enough AGAIN.

Getting promoted this season was the only aim and anything else should count as failure. Results are what matter and we have 3 points out of 12.

sleeping giant
03-09-2014, 08:42 AM

Alloa looked like they were a division above us.
Certainly feels like we have given up.

Have you been to any matches this season ?

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2014, 08:45 AM

While i don't think the club have given up, i also don't think they have done anything near enough to make us competitive either.

And to be perfectly honest, if i could be remotely bothered. I could find posts from virtually every season that pointed out just how unlucky we've been so far, and it wont be long before results change and we will be up there challenging soon.

I mean stating that no team has outplayed us, and we've been a bit unfortunate. Am i supposed to be excited because we are losing much better these days?

When does the time come when you look at the facts staring you in the face, and say this is just not good enough and ask why?

JimBHibees
03-09-2014, 08:50 AM
How long are we going to play the unfortunate card for, until people realise we've been left with a squad not good enough AGAIN.

Getting promoted this season was the only aim and anything else should count as failure. Results are what matter and we have 3 points out of 12.

Still very early doors though and a couple of wins will lift the gloom to an extent. Farid's injury is a shocker and we need a replacement in now as AS has acknowledged. We do appear to have a lot of really good young talent primarily the kids that have come in and the other kids and the experienced ones need to raise their level massively as that in terms of performance is where the main problems are.

I would personally take the captaincy off Craig now and let him concentrate on his game. Fontaine or Gray could do that in their sleep. Hard as it is fans really do need to leave grievances against the state of the club at the door when games are on as it doesnt help the primarily young players relax and express themselves.

Victor
03-09-2014, 09:00 AM
I think it is a bit early to write us off, just yet. I am pretty sure that Alan Stubbs took the job because he believed he could make it as a manager. I believe that he would be the first to complain if he felt he had been misled by the board regarding his budget. I think we should see how things are by the end of October before writing off the whole season.

Pretty Boy
03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
I don't believe the club has given up. I'm angry about the state of our squad but I think everything that has happened has been done with the best of intentions.

That's not to say there haven't been mistakes. The 1st team squad should have been absolute priority ahead of every other change and I'm not sure that has happened but long term the changes may well prove wise, whether they could have been made more incrementally is another debate.

We just have to trust that even with the lack of resources available Alan Stubbs hasn't given up and managed to lead this team to a top 4 finish and at least a shot at the play offs. That seems a big ask to me at the moment but time for the manager and squad to stand up and be counted and prove many of us wrong.

lyonhibs
03-09-2014, 09:04 AM
While i don't think the club have given up, i also don't think they have done anything near enough to make us competitive either.

And to be perfectly honest, if i could be remotely bothered. I could find posts from virtually every season that pointed out just how unlucky we've been so far, and it wont be long before results change and we will be up there challenging soon.

I mean stating that no team has outplayed us, and we've been a bit unfortunate. Am i supposed to be excited because we are losing much better these days?

When does the time come when you look at the facts staring you in the face, and say this is just not good enough and ask why?

That's the thing for me. This is like Groundhog Day on the 200056th viewing.

Bobby's Cinema
03-09-2014, 09:57 AM
I agree with the OP. We're trying to scrape by for fourth. The board would happily see us pumped four times by rangers and four times by hearts so long as we make the play-offs. There's the difference in mentality. The bottom line is all that matters.

The ONLY real positive for me, is the ones Stubbs has brought in seem to be largely of decent quality.

Stubbs is likeable. Hopefully he can squeeze something out of the squad he has.

Love the Green
03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Still very early doors though and a couple of wins will lift the gloom to an extent. Farid's injury is a shocker and we need a replacement in now as AS has acknowledged. We do appear to have a lot of really good young talent primarily the kids that have come in and the other kids and the experienced ones need to raise their level massively as that in terms of performance is where the main problems are.

I would personally take the captaincy off Craig now and let him concentrate on his game. Fontaine or Gray could do that in their sleep. Hard as it is fans really do need to leave grievances against the state of the club at the door when games are on as it doesnt help the primarily young players relax and express themselves.

Name them

Peevemor
03-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I agree with the OP. We're trying to scrape by for fourth. The board would happily see us pumped four times by rangers and four times by hearts so long as we make the play-offs. There's the difference in mentality. The bottom line is all that matters.

The ONLY real positive for me, is the ones Stubbs has brought in seem to be largely of decent quality.

Stubbs is likeable. Hopefully he can squeeze something out of the squad he has.

Do you really believe that?

03-09-2014, 10:05 AM

Agree with this 100%

Bobby's Cinema
03-09-2014, 10:07 AM
that quoting is just a bit selective. So long as we make the play-offs I don't believe they would care in the slightest no. I think that's been evident for a long time.

brog
03-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Admins, any chance this thread could be merged with any one of the dozen others all saying the same thing?

Hermit Crab
03-09-2014, 10:15 AM

I do. Like I also believe they would be happy to finish out with the playoffs and have better run at the league next season without hearts and rangers should they both go up. The lack of quality brought in shows this in my opinion.

JimBHibees
03-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Name them

Kennedy/Allan/McGeough/Sinclair.

JimBHibees
03-09-2014, 10:24 AM
I do. Like I also believe they would be happy to finish out with the playoffs and have better run at the league next season without hearts and rangers should they both go up. The lack of quality brought in shows this in my opinion.

What possible logic would there be?

If we had Griffiths in would you be saying the same?

Hermit Crab
03-09-2014, 10:28 AM

The club have failed to spend big to attempt to get us promotion this season in my opinion. Do you really think the current crop of players are good enough? Several of them got us relegated last season. We also don't know how hard we tried to get Griffiths apart from here say. 7k season ticket holders straight to the managers fund? Where is it? Out of all the players brought in how many did we pay a fee for? We will lose 2 of those players in January when the loans run out.

Bobby's Cinema
03-09-2014, 10:34 AM

The logic is, and it's the one that the board have quite obviously taken imo, is why bother spending the cash to finish first when it's likely one of hearts & rangers will do so. We can likely get by and finish fourth with what we have.

And it's scandalous.

GreenPJ
03-09-2014, 10:44 AM
The logic is, and it's the one that the board have quite obviously taken imo, is why bother spending the cash to finish first when it's likely one of hearts & rangers will do so. We can likely get by and finish fourth with what we have.

And it's scandalous.

Like everyone else I would have liked to see a more complete squad earlier but spending money would have been no guarantee of finishing first in this league. We know the money Rangers spend on wages and the fact that we would have all snapped your hand off if you could have offered either a Boyd or a Miller and they have both. That is not to suggest we should not be trying to win it but no matter what the spend, it was always going to be very difficult to win the league.

You talk about the bigger picture - the bigger picture is not ultimately if and how often we beat Hearts or Rangers this season its whether we get up (either through winning the league or via playoff). If we could start to build some momentum and most importantly have a run of form from March onwards that would allow us to go into the playoffs with confidence or win the league with a strong finish.

We all know the board could have done a bit more with the key thing for me was removing Butcher and Malpas at the end of last season and we could have had Stubbs in a month earlier but we are where we are now, you can't change the past.

carnoustiehibee
03-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Kennedy/Allan/McGeough/Sinclair.

We've only signed one of them

jdships
03-09-2014, 10:47 AM

:agree::rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't think the club has given up. There is no doubt they want automatic promotion or at worst a shot at the play offs at the tail end of the season. I'm positive that Alan Stubbs and his staff will do their very best until all hope is gone.

I believe that Leeann Dempster is passionate for the job she has taken on .... personal abuse towards her is utterly out of order and should be viewed by anyone calling themselves a Hibby as a bloody embarrassment.

The reason people are kicking off just now is that the hope was that we would be in a nip & tuck battle with the Yams and Zombies going right down to the wire. There was not even a huge reaction when we lost narrowly at the PBS and lost to Falkirk after dominating the game .. there was still optimism that we would come good. But then we lost at Alloa and were outplayed by them. That was a game we simply have to expect to win if we are to be in the mix .............. there can be no excuses for losing games like that one.

Have the club given up ...................... no!

Are they capable of succeeding ........... At this point highly doubtful.

The current owners of the club are in the happy position of having presided over two of the worst results in the clubs history .. one of these being the worst European result in Scottish football history. We have also been relegated twice under their tenure.

All of that will pale into insignificance if we were to finish out of the top 4. It would be the biggest disaster in our history and given the league we are in has a number of part time clubs would quite literally make us a laughing stock.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Sorry, HC, but that's absurd.

Hibs would forego a promotion play-off place which they might win this year, so they can have another go with different teams next year?

Who else thinks like this? Livingston? Falkirk? Raith? Or just the team you support?

silverhibee
03-09-2014, 10:55 AM

I remember a number of seasons ago that folk would say on here that once all the infrastructure was in place then all monies would then go towards the squad and we would be challenging at the top end of the SPL.

HFC 0-7
03-09-2014, 10:56 AM

The board said they were trying to win the league. Being 9 points behind the league leaders in a league you are never going to win isn't a big deal, but being 9 points adrift in a league you are supposedly trying to win is a big deal. Especially when it looks like the leaders have assembled a squad with enough depth that they won't lose a lot of points during the season.

The chances are, the playoff spots will be tight and only a few points will decide whether you are in them or out them. We were not prepared for the start of the season and it looks like we are still not prepared for the rest of the season.

It is the boards fault plain and simple. The fans have dug deep again spending premiership season ticket prices on championship level product. If the 7,200 st figure is correct, I think that's a fantastic effort from the fans.

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 11:00 AM
I posted this on another topic on pm board:

I so wish I could reconcile my head n heart with mediocrity! I wish I could be positive about what we have! I wish I could give credence to failure! I wish I could console myself with the position we are in! Like F! its a pile of **** the whole lot of it and we are accepting and excusing it!

HFC 0-7
03-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Like everyone else I would have liked to see a more complete squad earlier but spending money would have been no guarantee of finishing first in this league. We know the money Rangers spend on wages and the fact that we would have all snapped your hand off if you could have offered either a Boyd or a Miller and they have both. That is not to suggest we should not be trying to win it but no matter what the spend, it was always going to be very difficult to win the league.

You talk about the bigger picture - the bigger picture is not ultimately if and how often we beat Hearts or Rangers this season its whether we get up (either through winning the league or via playoff). If we could start to build some momentum and most importantly have a run of form from March onwards that would allow us to go into the playoffs with confidence or win the league with a strong finish.

We all know the board could have done a bit more with the key thing for me was removing Butcher and Malpas at the end of last season and we could have had Stubbs in a month earlier but we are where we are now, you can't change the past.

LD said her aim was to win the league, we are going by her objectives, if they are taking the stance of a 'what's the point' because rangers can pay more and hearts seem to have got their act together then she is intentionally misleading us.

I think it's great that people are trying to see the positives in what's happening but, IMO, I think we need to accept that we were not prepared, or LD underestimated the scale of the work needing done, or they have mislead us into spending money in the assumption they were going for the league but in reality there wasn't much chance.

My personal view is that they all knew that we wouldn't be winning anything this season and it's a case of digging in. Fair enough but when they have meant to be more transparent it's a worry. What I don't think they will have planned for is if we do get into the playoffs and we get beat by hearts, things will get nasty and renewals will be down again.

alexedwards
03-09-2014, 11:05 AM
What possible logic would there be? - Money - the be all and end all - fairly simple really.

If we had Griffiths in would you be saying the same? Money for LG from outside source.

Bad Martini
03-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I think it's great that people are trying to see the positives in what's happening but, IMO, I think we need to accept that we were not prepared, or LD underestimated the scale of the work needing done, or they have mislead us into spending money in the assumption they were going for the league but in reality there wasn't much chance.

Correct. Everyone is trying to win the league.

In reality, there are only two teams likely to do that and we're not one of them.

And Im not a ****ing yam or a hun and nothing displeases me more to say it.

If we were really pinning our hopes on an outside chance of getting LG to (again) sort our **** out, its misplaced. There are 11 players on the field every game - we done it for years; rely on our forwards to dig us out the ****. We done with Deek, Deek and O'Connor and more recently LG. Had it not been for their goals, we'd have been ****ed a long time sooner.

Bottom line; our squad isnt good enough and hasnt been for years. If it doesnt improve soon and/or Stubbs starts getting soemthing out them (and I KNOW its early but this is the first division and we should be picking up points, not relying on our keeper to score) we are gonna be in trouble, again. Backs to wall, under pressure.

NOT the environment young and inexperienced players revel in...

JimBHibees
03-09-2014, 11:52 AM
We've only signed one of them

So what they are still playing for us. Also think Harris/Handling/Stanton/Forster have talent however now is the time they need to start showing it on a more regular basis the fact Stubbs has brought in some players in some of their positions kind of suggests they arent pulling up trees in terms of performance in games or training.

JimBHibees
03-09-2014, 11:55 AM

And it's scandalous.

Dont believe it. One thing is for sure we are obviously pretty skint in terms of having to still pay Butcher etc.

Hermit Crab
03-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Sorry, HC, but that's absurd.

Hibs would forego a promotion play-off place which they might win this year, so they can have another go with different teams next year?

Who else thinks like this? Livingston? Falkirk? Raith? Or just the team you support?

Hibs at the moment look nothing like a club being backed by a board who want to gain promotion.

Franck Stanton
03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Promotion ? Hibs ? You are having a laugh, you really are. We wont win this league, no chance. As for finishing in a play-off place, what's the use ? Honestly, just what's the use. We are kidding ourselves on if anyone honestly believes we could beat the teams that finish in 3rd/second place over two games play-offs. We couldn't beat hertz over 4 league games last year, we couldn't at swiney a few weeks back just what has happened to suggest we would win through the pay-offs ? Nah, with this squad we have no chance. Stubbs,given the backing of the Board, with the purse strings loosened, could do a job for us, good manager in my opinion, just wish he wasn't having to do the job with one hand tied behind his back.

Jim44
03-09-2014, 12:50 PM
My agreement with the opinion that the club intends to tread water for a season and accept 'survival' ( which is far from assured ) is strengthened by the breadth of negative comment on this forum which does not seem to receive the usual scorn and vitriol from the diehards and optimists. Are we 'bed wetters' now becoming a majority which recognises the real plight of a club in rapid freefall?

Nutmegged
03-09-2014, 01:02 PM
While I'm not enthralled by this attitude and would never expect anyone officially connected to the club to genuinely admit this, I think the club have banked on being in the Chamlionship for two years unless they can fluke the Play-Off's...I felt from the day we were relegated that Hibs wouldn't want to push the boat out on players wages when they knew 3 into 2 jst doesn't go so would rather wait till at least one and probably both of Hearts and Rangers were out of this League before we gave it a right good crack.

Fans wont stay away, while we all moan that we should be doing better transfer business and some of us will have had enough to chuck it, the Play-Off's are ideal for the board, we as fans will back the club, if we're chasing the Play-Off's fans will come to games and while we are a moody bunch, we are also so desperate for success that it doesn't take much to get a positive vibe if things are going well on the field.

If we as I believe the club expect fail in the Play-Off's the fans will be sick once again but the club will be thinking with hopefully Rangers and Hearts out the League they could possibly puah the boat out on two or three far higher standard of player than we're used to with the likelihood being that we'll be the top dogs of the division so there would be less of a gamble in puahing the boat out next summer.

It sucks right now, I'm not defending them for doing that either but thats exactly what I think their logic is and while I cant defend that logic, its probably a pretty safe logic

MrSmith
03-09-2014, 01:08 PM
My agreement with the opinion that the club intends to tread water for a season and accept 'survival' ( which is far from assured ) is strengthened by the breadth of negative comment on this forum which does not seem to receive the usual scorn and vitriol from the diehards and optimists. Are we 'bed wetters' now becoming a majority which recognises the real plight of a club in rapid freefall?

This! You have identified a mindset on this forum that's accepting of what we have become - mediocrity accepted!

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 03:35 PM
While I'm not enthralled by this attitude and would never expect anyone officially connected to the club to genuinely admit this, I think the club have banked on being in the Chamlionship for two years unless they can fluke the Play-Off's...I felt from the day we were relegated that Hibs wouldn't want to push the boat out on players wages when they knew 3 into 2 jst doesn't go so would rather wait till at least one and probably both of Hearts and Rangers were out of this League before we gave it a right good crack.

Fans wont stay away, while we all moan that we should be doing better transfer business and some of us will have had enough to chuck it, the Play-Off's are ideal for the board, we as fans will back the club, if we're chasing the Play-Off's fans will come to games and while we are a moody bunch, we are also so desperate for success that it doesn't take much to get a positive vibe if things are going well on the field.

If we as I believe the club expect fail in the Play-Off's the fans will be sick once again but the club will be thinking with hopefully Rangers and Hearts out the League they could possibly puah the boat out on two or three far higher standard of player than we're used to with the likelihood being that we'll be the top dogs of the division so there would be less of a gamble in puahing the boat out next summer.

It sucks right now, I'm not defending them for doing that either but thats exactly what I think their logic is and while I cant defend that logic, its probably a pretty safe logic

Cant disagree with any of that.

Deansy
03-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I remember a number of seasons ago that folk would say on here that once all the infrastructure was in place then all monies would then go towards the squad and we would be challenging at the top end of the SPL.

Petrie said it, on more than one occasion (I think I even have him quoting that line in an old-programme somewhere). Personally, that is what raises my blood-pressure. Throughout all the years of gash teams and players, humiliating abuse from friends, work-mates etc who support 'THEM', shocking results and relegation, THAT line/thought kept me going !. I always felt safe in the knowledge that once the infrastructure was complete, we'd be rewarded for all our patience, all our support and, maybe more importantly - all OUR money !!. After all, it was our money that RP put into the/his infrastructure at the expense of producing a worthwhile football-team. Then once it was complete, we would be going all-out to wipe out these memories, really ram-it right up those cheating ********s across town and set the record straight, competing for trophies but, more importantly - putting the pride back into Hibernian FC. Respected for being a well-run club, an honest club, a club known for producing exciting and excellent teams !!. Instead, what do we get - nowt/zero/zilch/nil/SFA !!. The humiliation continues ! Told this season we were 'Aiming to win this league and get promoted at the 1st attempt' - 8 new-signings(4 of whom are 'Loanees') is NOT a sign that backs up that statement !. It seems strange that our money was sufficient enough to build a great, top-class stadium yet NOT enough to produce even a half-decent team ??. Angry ? - you bet I am - especially now that since Petrie has got what HE wanted, he's hired and hidden behind a female-executive who probably didn't realise the REAL reason she was chosen - to take the abuse HE so richly deserves !. I feel sorry for Leeanne Dempster and for Alan Stubbs - both are probably wondering all the time - WHY ON EARTH DID I ............................. ???????

jacomo
03-09-2014, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't place a bet on that.

The football landscape has changed. Fans act more and more like consumers. Once people get out of the habit of going to live football, and their kids think football is about watching Sky and wearing a replica Man City top, how are you gonna get them back?

The converse of your argument is also surely true. Had Hibs truly shown a desire to go toe-to-toe with Hearts this season (and why not??), it would have ignited this campaign. Rangers have already realised this League won't be a walkover for them.

I'm getting sick and tired of this defeatist attitude too. If we are now accepting that we can't even compete with the Jambos then this club really is dying.

Bishop Hibee
03-09-2014, 04:34 PM
A lot of the 7200 ST holders bought via the payment plan believing Hibs would be a top division club. Fail to get promotion and we'll be down to 5K tops next season.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2014, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't place a bet on that.

The football landscape has changed. Fans act more and more like consumers. Once people get out of the habit of going to live football, and their kids think football is about watching Sky and wearing a replica Man City top, how are you gonna get them back?

The converse of your argument is also surely true. Had Hibs truly shown a desire to go toe-to-toe with Hearts this season (and why not??), it would have ignited this campaign. Rangers have already realised this League won't be a walkover for them.

I'm getting sick and tired of this defeatist attitude too. If we are now accepting that we can't even compete with the Jambos then this club really is dying.

Fans will stay away. :agree: I was talking to a good Hibs fan today Billy who used to travel up with me, i told him about the celebration for Pat Stanton and he said i have to go to that. He said he wouldnt miss it because he was the best player he's ever seen in a Hibs strip.

He then asked me when it was, and it turns out he cant go because he's on holiday in Spain. He said that this game because of what it was about would be the only thing that would have tempted him back to Easter Road.

He also said **** Petrie but he's been saying that for quite a while. :greengrin But getting back to folk staying away, i know of at least 10 folk from down here who would go EVERY home game but now go maybe once or twice a season. I know at least 10 more who'd go to maybe 10 games, they dont go at all.

Ryan69
03-09-2014, 05:25 PM

And it's scandalous.

Why bother having a football team then? Surely there is challengers every season?

Phil MaGlass
03-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I cant believe i just read someone saying the "fans wont stay away" sorry but really? Next year we are probably looking at our lowest crowds for decades. Fans are already walking away at seeing a board unwilling to properly finance the club for a tilt at promotion this year, it obvious for everyone to see, the club have settled for getting promotion next year. Its pitiful to see. This once great club reduced to bit part players. Seems cheating and not paying your debts and taxes actually pays. Joke of a club joke of a board and dont get me started on some of our happy clapping fans