PDA

View Full Version : Just Imagine This Board If....

Ken
02-09-2014, 12:15 PM
1. Handling hadn't of got sent off and we had of went on to beat Rangers in our 1st game
2. We had of scored the 1st goal in what was a very even derby up until Hearts made the breakthrough and we went on to win the match
3. We took a couple of the 17 chances against Falkirk in a game which we dominated and created a lot of good goalscoring opportunities.

If we had of got a bit more luck or been more ruthless in the above games we would be up near the top of the league on the same points as Hearts and possible still in the challenge cup.

I'm not going to comment on the Alloa performance as I wasn't there but in the games I have seen I have been impressed with our performances. On 1st showing Scott Allan looks very good signing as does Matt Kennedy and David Gray, so I trust Stubbs that McGeough and Sinclair will strengthen our 1st team.

Stanton was probably my best player last season, so I think he will come good sooner rather than later.

I think up front we would have been fine but with El Alagui's injury we need to sign someone in the next couple of weeks. We also need Heffernan to step up to the plate and this is Cummings' chance to prove himself

Oxley

Gray Fontaine Hanlon Stevenson

Harris, Allen McGeough, Kennedy

Cumming, Heffernan

Squad: Booth, Stanton, Sinclair, Foster, Craig, Robertson, Handling

Every single one of those 18 players would walk into every team in the Championship outside Rangers and Hearts, therefore we should have no reason not to finish 3rd or higher.

We have also brought in some very decent coaches and backroom staff as LD said she wants to change the club as a whole which she is starting to do.

On and off field success won't happen overnight but I have the confidence that it will happen. If Hearts and Rangers end up having a good seasons and finish top 2 then fair enough, I would rather just concentrate on our club getting back to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

GGTTH

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 12:17 PM
There's been a lot of "if onlys" the last few years.

WeeRussell
02-09-2014, 12:21 PM
1. Handling hadn't of got sent off and we had of went on to beat Rangers in our 1st game
2. We had of scored the 1st goal in what was a very even derby up until Hearts made the breakthrough and we went on to win the match
3. We took a couple of the 17 chances against Falkirk in a game which we dominated and created a lot of good goalscoring opportunities.

If we had of got a bit more luck or been more ruthless in the above games we would be up near the top of the league on the same points as Hearts and possible still in the challenge cup.

I'm not going to comment on the Alloa performance as I wasn't there but in the games I have seen I have been impressed with our performances. On 1st showing Scott Allan looks very good signing as does Matt Kennedy and David Gray, so I trust Stubbs that McGeough and Sinclair will strengthen our 1st team.

Stanton was probably my best player last season, so I think he will come good sooner rather than later.

I think up front we would have been fine but with El Alagui's injury we need to sign someone in the next couple of weeks. We also need Heffernan to step up to the plate and this is Cummings' chance to prove himself

Oxley

Cumming, Heffernan

Every single one of those 18 players would walk into every team in the Championship outside Rangers and Hearts, therefore we should have no reason not to finish 3rd or higher.

We have also brought in some very decent coaches and backroom staff as LD said she wants to change the club as a whole which she is starting to do.

On and off field success won't happen overnight but I have the confidence that it will happen. If Hearts and Rangers end up having a good seasons and finish top 2 then fair enough, I would rather just concentrate on our club getting back to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

GGTTH

A very sensible and entirely realistic post in what are dark times pal. Unfortunately it's probably not the best time for people to see and appreciate this.. therefore you may see your thread take a similar turn to every other one on here right now.

I repeat though - spot on :aok:

... an important month ahead for Hibernian FC

shagpile
02-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Too many ifs & buts & not enough certainties. I don't know what Petrie & Farmer are up to, but it is killing the club. Not slowly either.

Steve20
02-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Lots of teams can say "if only". The facts are we have lost 3 of our 4 league games and our only real goal threat is out for months.

Also, the team in the OP has all attack minded midfielders. Just going to get dominated in there against stronger players. And Heffernan as a first choice? No thanks.

Golden Bear
02-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Oxley

Cumming, Heffernan

GGTTH

Stop it Ken. Don't you know we're all doomed?

scuttle
02-09-2014, 12:25 PM
If yer Auntie had Baws she would be yer uncle

Ken
02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
A very sensible and entirely realistic post in what are dark times pal. Unfortunately it's probably not the best time for people to see and appreciate this.. therefore you may see your thread take a similar turn to every other one on here right now.

I repeat though - spot on :aok:

... an important month ahead for Hibernian FC

Yeah, this thread will probably only go one way but I always try and see the positives regarding Hibs where possible and I certainly won't be writing off LD and AS 5 games into the season.

Only time will tell....

The_Horde
02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Good post. Hibs are still at project stage unfortunately. That's why we play well at times and not at others. That's what happens when you leave it late to recruit the new manager, it's taken up til yesterday to put a squad together and it's still not finished.

We've new players who've hardly played together, are getting used to the system and the new managers ways and getting used to each other.

And then you've got to take Into account that the manager and their coaches haven't been here long either.

The_Horde
02-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Things take time. Hearts and Rangers have been prepared for this for 1-2 seasons! We've fallen into it.

1two
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Stop it Ken. Don't you know we're all doomed?

We're not doomed, we're just progressively getting worse at playing football and that shouldn't happen to a club this size compared to our opponents.

How many times can the club kick it's own fans in the teeth?

Steve20
02-09-2014, 12:32 PM
;4154845']Things take time. Hearts and Rangers have been prepared for this for 1-2 seasons! We've fallen into it.

Just another poor excuse.

Hibs have had time to identify players and bring them in that are good enough to challenge Hearts and Rangers. Not doing so just shows how little the club care about the product on the pitch.

cleanyman
02-09-2014, 12:34 PM
We can't score goals.

Diclonius
02-09-2014, 12:37 PM
The last seven years has been full of "ifs".

None of the "ifs" have happened for us. Not a coincidence.

Pretty Boy
02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Imagine if Kevin Thomson scored his penalty against Hamilton.

Imagine if Joe Baker used his head rather than his hand in the 1958 cup final.

Imagine if the livi keeper positioned himself better on the opening day of the season.

Imagine if Stade Reims never had Raymond Kopa in the inaugral European Cup.

Football is full of ifs and buts. It's what you actually do that matters.

The_Todd
02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
How many "ifs" are we allowed? If we only had won all our games last season we'd be SPL champions. If we hadn't lost to Hamilton we'd not have been relegated. If, if, if. We're not where we are because of some sort of cosmic injustice and we can't continue to use "if" as a get out of jail. If we carry on with the "if only" stuff we'll find ourselves out of the top flight for a very long time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda but, didnae!

Spike Mandela
02-09-2014, 12:51 PM
If—

BY*RUDYARD KIPLING

If you can keep your head when all about you***

*** Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,***

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

*** But make allowance for their doubting too;***

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

*** Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

*** And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;***

*** If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;***

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

*** And treat those two impostors just the same;***

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

*** Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

*** And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

*** And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

*** And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

*** To serve your turn long after they are gone,***

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

*** Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,***

*** Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

*** If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

*** With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,***

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,***

*** And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Source:*A Choice of Kipling's Verse*(1943)

jacomo
02-09-2014, 01:02 PM
in the games I have seen I have been impressed with our performances. On 1st showing Scott Allan looks very good signing as does Matt Kennedy and David Gray, so I trust Stubbs that McGeough and Sinclair will strengthen our 1st team.

:agree:

The squad looks threadbare in places to me but at last I think we've got a decent boss at the helm. A silver lining on an otherwise very gloomy start to the season.

Keith_M
02-09-2014, 01:09 PM
If my Auntie had Baws, she'd be my Uncle.

BSEJVT
02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Way up there with the most pointless thread in history

What about if:

There was no Sky TV

Hibs had told the Glasgow citizens to **** off we wouldn't help them with their charitable works

The Germans had won either WW1 or WW2

We had lost Bannockburn

What about if virtually everything in the history of mankind hadn't happened or had happened differently, the permutations are endless.

I don't see anyone sitting back and making excuses for the rest of the worlds ills on this basis.

We are where we are, that is our reality

Its a bit rich to excuse the board for their conspicuous failings and inaction by saying this could have happened or that couldn't have.

If that is the basis of anyone's decision for taking or not taking action we would all still be living in caves.

Whatever your reality is, you need to react to it. It is that lack of or under reaction to our present reality that is p*ssing so many folk off.

Whilst some of the posters on this board are over reacting there are a similar number are under reacting.

Is our end destination that different from the one the Yams faced a year ago

Theirs was caused by their over spending ( but as unpalatable as it was they did achieve some success) ours will be caused by our lack of investment.

The difference is that their supporters cared not a jot about their ways and the means justified the ends for them and they were galvanised by their ( recent to the event) success

At this rate by the time our train finally comes off the track there will be so few people sufficiently interested because of our continued failure and deep seated mistrust for the board and owners as to make a similar Lazarus like comeback impossible.

We mocked their support for standing idly by as the ship headed for the rocks WTF are we doing if not that?

Please don't give our Board the benefit of such what if piffle.

There are absolutely no excuses for this latest in a long line of shameful betrayals and they should be left in absolutely no doubt that enough is enough.

dangermouse
02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
There's been a lot of "if onlys" the last few years.

There's only IF ONLY and he runs the Four in Hand bus :greengrin

brog
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I think the OP was making the valid point that we've really only played one bad game this season & that was last Saturday. Unfortunately it coincided with the injury to Farid so understandably people are down. It does appear to me however that there are netters out there who are only happy when they're unhappy. Human nature I guess, people are far more likely to complain about poor service than praise good service. I really don't understand the anguish over the transfer window however. I'm sure someone will quickly correct me but I would think in Scotland possibly only Dundee have signed more players than us this window. Stubbs said from the start he wanted quality over quantity, I'm hoping he's done both but only time will tell & we have to give him more than 6 games surely?

Crazyhorse
02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
If—

BY*RUDYARD KIPLING

If you can keep your head when all about you***

*** Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,***

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

*** But make allowance for their doubting too;***

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

*** Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

*** And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;***

*** If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;***

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

*** And treat those two impostors just the same;***

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

*** Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

*** And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

*** And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

*** And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

*** To serve your turn long after they are gone,***

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

*** Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,***

*** Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

*** If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

*** With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,***

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,***

*** And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Source:*A Choice of Kipling's Verse*(1943)

Always thought RK wrote some absolute doggerel but that second verse always hits the spot!

BSEJVT
02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
I think the OP was making the valid point that we've really only played one bad game this season & that was last Saturday. Unfortunately it coincided with the injury to Farid so understandably people are down. It does appear to me however that there are netters out there who are only happy when they're unhappy. Human nature I guess, people are far more likely to complain about poor service than praise good service. I really don't understand the anguish over the transfer window however. I'm sure someone will quickly correct me but I would think in Scotland possibly only Dundee have signed more players than us this window. Stubbs said from the start he wanted quality over quantity, I'm hoping he's done both but only time will tell & we have to give him more than 6 games surely?

As I said to you on another thread, which I dont think you have replied to? I admire your fortitude

But we have gone from getting a few known players from Everton (IIRC this info provided by you) to a wee laddie I doubt Stubbs will know much about?

Also what Dundee or any other club do isn't relevant

We have our own particular problems exacerbated by Farid's injury

I and many other s don't think these problems have been remotely addressed

1 bad game or not, we cant keep clean sheets and the guy who has given us scoring them respectability is out injured, probably for the season.

The signings seem to now to be pretty good, if inexperienced, but just far to few in number with the result that we are faced with playing last years imposters.

wookie70
02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
;4154845']Things take time. Hearts and Rangers have been prepared for this for 1-2 seasons! We've fallen into it.

Hamilton haven't had much time to prepare for the top league but it hasn't stopped them starting well.

No more excuses and ifs and buts. We need to accept we are pish before we can do something about it. The Alloa players knew the only way they would beat us is through effort and determination. It is about time we realised we are nowhere near the best team/squad in the league and the only way we will get anything out of this season is if our players grit their teeth, work hard and realise their "quality" won't see us through.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
I can't imagine these good things happening to us these days, because good things rarely happen for us. We all want the good times, but i genuinely cant see them coming back for a long long time.

hibs4thecup1988
02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
If only the linesman at Tynecastle last year had allowed Jordan Forsters header....

Ken
02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Way up there with the most pointless thread in history

What about if:

There was no Sky TV

Hibs had told the Glasgow citizens to **** off we wouldn't help them with their charitable works

The Germans had won either WW1 or WW2

We had lost Bannockburn

What about if virtually everything in the history of mankind hadn't happened or had happened differently, the permutations are endless.

I don't see anyone sitting back and making excuses for the rest of the worlds ills on this basis.

We are where we are, that is our reality

Its a bit rich to excuse the board for their conspicuous failings and inaction by saying this could have happened or that couldn't have.

If that is the basis of anyone's decision for taking or not taking action we would all still be living in caves.

Whatever your reality is, you need to react to it. It is that lack of or under reaction to our present reality that is p*ssing so many folk off.

Whilst some of the posters on this board are over reacting there are a similar number are under reacting.

Is our end destination that different from the one the Yams faced a year ago

Theirs was caused by their over spending ( but as unpalatable as it was they did achieve some success) ours will be caused by our lack of investment.

The difference is that their supporters cared not a jot about their ways and the means justified the ends for them and they were galvanised by their ( recent to the event) success

At this rate by the time our train finally comes off the track there will be so few people sufficiently interested because of our continued failure and deep seated mistrust for the board and owners as to make a similar Lazarus like comeback impossible.

We mocked their support for standing idly by as the ship headed for the rocks WTF are we doing if not that?

Please don't give our Board the benefit of such what if piffle.

There are absolutely no excuses for this latest in a long line of shameful betrayals and they should be left in absolutely no doubt that enough is enough.

My original 'what if' post was to evidence that we aren't a million miles away from getting the results that we should be. As a club we've played it all wrong over the last 10 years+, but from what I can see now, the club has been completely overhauled in the last 3 months (since LD's and subsequently AS' arrival) and as I said in my original post we are only 6 games in to the season. What do Hibs fans want? Overnight success?

STF is also looking to sell and fan ownership is being looked into which is what most of the fans want from what I gather.

I think short to medium term (2-3 seasons) we will be back in the top half of the Premier League where we should be.

P.s. Apologies to all if I'm being too optimistic

The_Horde
02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Just another poor excuse.

Hibs have had time to identify players and bring them in that are good enough to challenge Hearts and Rangers. Not doing so just shows how little the club care about the product on the pitch.

Sure we have. And I believe we have recruited well. But what I'm saying is the team is at a stage where they have the ability to more than match rangers and hearts (remember the petrofac cup match?) but haven't been able to gain confidence, consistency and momentum yet as a team.

Hearts have been carried by the feel good factor and have been ready for this for ages. Their youngsters are starting to gain the confidence that wasn't there most of last season and they're getting results. They will hit a bad patch though!

Rangers have been planning for this for 2 years and have largely the same squad they've had all the way.

Stubbs has an enormous task trying to get the players to forget about last season and play with no fear and the new guys (like Allan, Mcgeouch, Fontaine, Oxley, Kennedy) are still bedding in. We left it too late to sack butcher and hire Stubbs and this is why we're inconsistent at the moment.

The_Horde
02-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Hamilton haven't had much time to prepare for the top league but it hasn't stopped them starting well.

No more excuses and ifs and buts. We need to accept we are pish before we can do something about it. The Alloa players knew the only way they would beat us is through effort and determination. It is about time we realised we are nowhere near the best team/squad in the league and the only way we will get anything out of this season is if our players grit their teeth, work hard and realise their "quality" won't see us through.

Hamilton have a core squad who got them promoted. Guys like canning and curier have been there for a few years now. And it's easy to carry on winning when you're on a high. It's much harder to get the winning mentality when you're so used to getting beat.

John_the_angus_hibby
02-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Agree. It's a project. Also we did not have a stable management structure to allow us to use the whole summer, that was also deemed not fit for purpose. So a massive project. I do think we will finish top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_the_angus_hibby
02-09-2014, 04:41 PM
;4155094']Hamilton have a core squad who got them promoted. Guys like canning and curier have been there for a few years now. And it's easy to carry on winning when you're on a high. It's much harder to get the winning mentality when you're so used to getting beat.

There is also **** all pressure on them. That goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
02-09-2014, 06:31 PM
My original 'what if' post was to evidence that we aren't a million miles away from getting the results that we should be. As a club we've played it all wrong over the last 10 years+, but from what I can see now, the club has been completely overhauled in the last 3 months (since LD's and subsequently AS' arrival) and as I said in my original post we are only 6 games in to the season. What do Hibs fans want? Overnight success?

STF is also looking to sell and fan ownership is being looked into which is what most of the fans want from what I gather.

I think short to medium term (2-3 seasons) we will be back in the top half of the Premier League where we should be.

Thanks for your reply

Your if analogy could equally have painted the circumstances in their worst possible light and it would have been no more relevant

We are where are and that it the reality we need to deal with.

Certainly my issues aren't as short term as the last 6 results as they are often as you suggest a temporary blip in either direction

However IMO the playing squad is nowhere near big enough, experienced enough, fit enough, quick enough or talented enough to take us where we want / need to go this season.

The board have resorted to the same weasel words and sound bites to encourage the support to dig deep again and have in my and many other peoples views completely failed to adequately address the shortcomings in the squad.

I don't think there's a cats chance in hell we will be where you think within that time frame.

As things stand we cant keep a clean sheet and since Farid is goosed for a good long while we will struggle to score with our attacking options.

I think on the basis of the players presently at our disposal we will struggle to get anywhere near the play offs.

If we don't go up another batch of season ticket holders will bail out and having done so a few years ago, I couldn't blame them.

That would make our finances even more perilous than they are.

Quite how that would lead us to a top 6 appearance in the SPL I cant fathom

Our only hope would be that Stubbs is truly the messiah of all football managers and under his careful tutelage last years dross and the youngsters around and among them would be transformed into the new class of 92.

I just cant see it.

I think it far more likely that they will be eaten up by the ferocity of the challenges and attitudes in the Championship and at best have an outside chance of a play off place at the year end.

The squad, new signings apart, some of whom it is too early to judge, others of whom will be just fine, and the young lads ( anyone from Hanlon down) who have the potential to improve is absolutely woeful.

There isn't enough bandwith available to list their shortcomings and they are all without exception sliding quickly downhill towards the twighlight of their League careers, mostly without a whimper.

Its great to be optimistic, I am in most walks of life, but unless you are able to temper that optimism with a dose of reality, its nothing but cheerleading emptily.

I hope 8 months down the road you are proved right.

Sammy7nil
02-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your reply

Your if analogy could equally have painted the circumstances in their worst possible light and it would have been no more relevant

We are where are and that it the reality we need to deal with.

Certainly my issues aren't as short term as the last 6 results as they are often as you suggest a temporary blip in either direction

However IMO the playing squad is nowhere near big enough, experienced enough, fit enough, quick enough or talented enough to take us where we want / need to go this season.

The board have resorted to the same weasel words and sound bites to encourage the support to dig deep again and have in my and many other peoples views completely failed to adequately address the shortcomings in the squad.

I don't think there's a cats chance in hell we will be where you think within that time frame.

As things stand we cant keep a clean sheet and since Farid is goosed for a good long while we will struggle to score with our attacking options.

I think on the basis of the players presently at our disposal we will struggle to get anywhere near the play offs.

If we don't go up another batch of season ticket holders will bail out and having done so a few years ago, I couldn't blame them.

That would make our finances even more perilous than they are.

Quite how that would lead us to a top 6 appearance in the SPL I cant fathom

Our only hope would be that Stubbs is truly the messiah of all football managers and under his careful tutelage last years dross and the youngsters around and among them would be transformed into the new class of 92.

I just cant see it.

I think it far more likely that they will be eaten up by the ferocity of the challenges and attitudes in the Championship and at best have an outside chance of a play off place at the year end.

The squad, new signings apart, some of whom it is too early to judge, others of whom will be just fine, and the young lads ( anyone from Hanlon down) who have the potential to improve is absolutely woeful.

There isn't enough bandwith available to list their shortcomings and they are all without exception sliding quickly downhill towards the twighlight of their League careers, mostly without a whimper.

Its great to be optimistic, I am in most walks of life, but unless you are able to temper that optimism with a dose of reality, its nothing but cheerleading emptily.

I hope 8 months down the road you are proved right.

Here here and Hear Hear again, now get back to work :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

BSEJVT
02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Here here and Hear Hear again, now get back to work :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Hasn't been a good day workwise I am absolutely fuming at the lack of activity yesterday

Heaven knows how bad I would be if I still went :greengrin

Have a great golf trip!

#2 Double Tap
02-09-2014, 07:27 PM

na i want hibs to go out and dominate teams like alloa, teams with a fraction of our budget.

Nailrodders
02-09-2014, 11:16 PM
na i want hibs to go out and dominate teams like alloa, teams with a fraction of our budget.It's precisely this kind of typical overexpectation and impatience on the part of Hibs fans that has been putting the players under so much pressure for the last seven years that they've been consistently underperforming.

Callum_62
02-09-2014, 11:51 PM
It's precisely this kind of typical overexpectation and impatience on the part of Hibs fans that has been putting the players under so much pressure for the last seven years that they've been consistently underperforming.

This has to be a wind up

Sir David Gray
03-09-2014, 12:49 AM
If only we hadn't lost 19 matches last season, we would still be in the Premieship.

#2 Double Tap
03-09-2014, 08:10 AM
It's precisely this kind of typical overexpectation and impatience on the part of Hibs fans that has been putting the players under so much pressure for the last seven years that they've been consistently underperforming.
ltyf

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2014, 08:12 AM

giggle giggle

lyonhibs
03-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Imagine if Kevin Thomson scored his penalty against Hamilton.

Imagine if Joe Baker used his head rather than his hand in the 1958 cup final.

Imagine if the livi keeper positioned himself better on the opening day of the season.

Imagine if Stade Reims never had Raymond Kopa in the inaugral European Cup.

Football is full of ifs and buts. It's what you actually do that matters.

:agree::agree:

There seems to be an element of the support that throws its hands up to sweating brows and goes for the "we've been unlucky, imagine if................." angle as a reflex action.

After - let's be generous - 5 years of more or less constant dirge, repeating the same mistakes from top to bottom and - especially Petrie - the club taking the fans for mugs (though accept this looks less like LD's modus operandi) hypothetical if's, but's and maybe's aren't good enough.

And the 2 games we have won are riddled with them that went in our favour, as PB mentions above. What if Dumbarton hadn't tired so dramatically etc etc etc