PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs hung out to dry

Leith Green
02-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Has to be said, starting to look like yet another manager has been badly let down by our penny pinching , arrogant board yet again.. Well done and watch how we struggle yet again in a joke of a league

scuttle
02-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Aye and its p****** down

IanM
02-09-2014, 08:40 AM
We're probably in danger of losing a good manager if this continues. He'll have known our budget and I'm happy with who he's brought in and what he's trying to achieve but if they don't support him like they've told us he'll walk and then, well, I don't even want to think where that leaves us

Lucius Apuleius
02-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Personally I dont think any manager has been let down by Hibs. Every manager has been given funds. It appears not a lot have been given here though. It is the way and the players the money has been spent in the past by these managers that is the problem. This is not meant as a Petrieist apologist as he is obviously responsible for most of the managers.

spike220
02-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Personally I dont think any manager has been let down by Hibs. Every manager has been given funds. It appears not a lot have been given here though. It is the way and the players the money has been spent in the past by these managers that is the problem. This is not meant as a Petrieist apologist as he is obviously responsible for most of the managers.

Is that actually a word now?

Ronniekirk
02-09-2014, 08:50 AM
We're probably in danger of losing a good manager if this continues. He'll have known our budget and I'm happy with who he's brought in and what he's trying to achieve but if they don't support him like they've told us he'll walk and then, well, I don't even want to think where that leaves us
Don't think he will walk he was chosen for medium term to help bridge disconnect between first team and development squad and his ability to work with and develop young players .

Brightside
02-09-2014, 08:53 AM
He has a job to rebuild the club from the bottom up. The idea that he has failed is ridiculous even for .net. I still believe we will be top 3 within another 5 games, and top 2 come end of season. But there are going to be a lot of bumps along the way as we change everything about the club. We have invested a lot of money in a new coaching staff and I expect to see that kick in soon.

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Think There is a huge over reaction here, our squad IS strong enough to finish top 3 people seriously don't believe it isn't? Yes results have been not good enough but these games could have easily gone in our favour we have made numerous chances in almost all the games, there is another transfer window in jan to come, remember we could finish 2nd but still end up losing to fourth in the league in a play-off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve20
02-09-2014, 08:55 AM
He has a job to rebuild the club from the bottom up. The idea that he has failed is ridiculous even for .net. I still believe we will be top 3 within another 5 games, and top 2 come end of season. But there are going to be a lot of bumps along the way as we change everything about the club. We have invested a lot of money in a new coaching staff and I expect to see that kick in soon.

Who is scoring the goals to get us these wins?

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Exactly mate. Don't know about the top 2 though! Not from what I've seen so far from the other two hearts have momentum rangers still have that aura that other teams bottle it to handle

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Let's wait and see give the guys a chance that we have now don't get on there backs at the first opportunity!

Steve20
02-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Think There is a huge over reaction here, our squad IS strong enough to finish top 3 people seriously don't believe it isn't? Yes results have been not good enough but these games could have easily gone in our favour we have made numerous chances in almost all the games, there is another transfer window in jan to come, remember we could finish 2nd but still end up losing to fourth in the league in a play-off!

Our squad is strong enough? We don't have depth in defence or up front.

Moody D
02-09-2014, 08:59 AM
????? Not in touch with reality!

Steve20
02-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Let's wait and see give the guys a chance that we have now don't get on there backs at the first opportunity!

I think it's been shown in the first few games that Farid was the only one that looked like he could be a regular scorer for us. It's hardly the first opportunity. The club had a chance to bring in needed reinforcements up front but decided scoring goals wasn't for us.

Purple & Green
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM

I don't think there is an over reaction, and I think it's right to be concerned.

So far, we've played 6 games all against teams in our division, and won just 2. We've lost 4 and we've played a couple of part time teams amongst that. Thinking back to our last escapade in the lower division we lost five games all season.

You might be right about where we end up, and I hope you are, but the evidence of my own eyes is that we are in a huge hole and already points behind our rivals without having had a difficult run of fixtures. Rangers away is already looking like a must win game, and we need a massive turnaround in results.

patch1875
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Transfer window is closed now so time to move on and get behind the team.

Sinclair is coming from one of the best youth set ups so maybe he can score the goals to get us up the table.

scuttle
02-09-2014, 09:02 AM

I don't think he is being allowed to rebuild though, here we are once again with a side full of loans and we go through the process all again at the end of the season .We simply cant keep going on like this and I fear for us I really do

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 09:02 AM
He has a job to rebuild the club from the bottom up. The idea that he has failed is ridiculous even for .net. eI still believe we will be top 3 within another 5 games, and top 2 come end of season. But there are going to be a lot of bumps along the way as we changeverything about the club. We have invested a lot of money in a new coaching staff and I expect to see that kick in soon.

Well in the space of 4 games you have dropped a position matey, a month ago you told us we were going to skoosh the league because each and every player we had was better than anything at The Rangers and the gimps.

I dont believe you actually believe what you are posting.

Brightside
02-09-2014, 09:04 AM

Players all over the park. I expect plenty for Cummings, Allen, Forster, Craig. The new lads. It will come. The stats that someone put up are bollix. Anyone scoring goals in a Butcher team is a superstar.

greenginger
02-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Agree 100%. It is not how much we spend, it is how.

I've come to the conclusion Petrie is a Jonah to all managers. It is not a case of not supporting them financially , he does not know how to support them on a personal level when their own doubts materialise, which with football management must be a common occurance.

That is part of a Football Club Chairman's remit and Petrie can't deliver.

Brightside
02-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Well in the space of 4 games you have dropped a position matey, a month ago you told us we were going to skoosh the league because each and every player we had was better than anything at The Rangers and the gimps.

I dont believe you actually believe what you are posting.
Hearts have surprised me to be honest. I still believe we will be above Gers. We are only a few points behind. Plenty time to turn it round. And hearts will dip also.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 09:06 AM

How many times do we have to see the same things happen for it to be the norm? Are people that blind that they can't see whats unfurling in front of their very eyes?

This squad of players MIGHT reach a play off place MIGHT, but its got no chance of winning it. Yes Stubbs has been hung out to dry in my opinion, he's not been given nearly enough funds to bring in the right players.

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Hibs summer transfer window

Oxley - looks a good addition done nothing wrong ✔️
Gray - excellent start to hibs career captain material IMO will only get better also ✔️
Kennedy - great exciting and looks to have quality ✔️
Allen - needs fitness but has that bit class and guile will certainly turn out to be the best of the lot IMO ✔️
Al agui - gutted for him was looking to be on his way to 25-30 goals this season ✔️

Fontaine, mcgeoch, Sinclair - all need to wait and see but if previous signings are anything to go by I'm excited about how they will perform

Also given the fact were reported to have tried all we could do to bring griffiths back bit for Celtic not playing ball I think the reaction on here is way over the top

Nobody could predict we would lose al agui a couple days before window ended!

The_Horde
02-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Our squad is strong enough? We don't have depth in defence or up front.

We're chasing Toshney (right CB/RB) and a target man on free transfers apparently.

Steve20
02-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Players all over the park. I expect plenty for Cummings, Allen, Forster, Craig. The new lads. It will come. The stats that someone put up are bollix. Anyone scoring goals in a Butcher team is a superstar.

I suppose it's all about opinions. I don't see anyone in that side now that is capable of scoring 10-15 goals this season, apart from maybe Cummings if he kicks on. The other three you named won't get 10 goals between them.

Stubbs has been let down badly here.

worcesterhibby
02-09-2014, 09:12 AM

I put up the scoring stats of our forwards and in short apart from Farid they don't score.

We have just one goalkeeper in our first team squad

We have just six defenders in our first team squad

We have just two goals between all our fit forwards in 6 games.

We have played four games in the league, none of the midfielders have scored, none of the defenders have scored. Farid has scored every goal bar the one cummings got on saturday and the Oxley punt.

In what way are the stats Bollix ? please tell me the goals our forwards have scored that I've missed ?

Colr
02-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Stubbs was brought in to develop young ( free) talent. If the board had intended to build a team through purchases, they would have appointed a different manager.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Hearts have surprised me to be honest. I still believe we will be above Gers. We are only a few points behind. Plenty time to turn it round. And hearts will dip also.

Hearts are winning EVERY week, we are losing EVERY week. Hearts had their team in early, they get their main man sent off and bring in his replacement who scores a hattrick. They are not losing many goals, they are beating teams like falkirk by 3 goals, a team we lost too.

They also beat us.

I have no idea just why you'd think there will be such a swing in form.

If we can't turn teams like Alloa over we are in trouble, and once again when you look through the team you see a team thats very soft in virtually every department. We will not bully any team in this league when our silky soccer :rolleyes: is not working.

Lucius Apuleius
02-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Stubbs was brought in to develop young ( free) talent. If the board had intended to build a team through purchases, they would have appointed a different manager.

Should be the remit of every manager.

Colr
02-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Should be the remit of every manager.

Its the only remit of this manager.

Lucius Apuleius
02-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Sure is. Right up there with Stalinist, Maoist, and Everybodygetpist. 😄

ionahibby
02-09-2014, 09:23 AM

Agree. Some people on here are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. The squad we have is more than enough to get us into the play offs.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Agree. Some people on here are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. The squad we have is more than enough to get us into the play offs.

I remember thinking we had the squad to remain in the SPFL, i was wrong.

worcesterhibby
02-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Gray - excellent start to hibs career captain material IMO will only get better also ✔️
Allen - needs fitness but has that bit class and guile will certainly turn out to be the best of the lot IMO ✔️
Al agui - gutted for him was looking to be on his way to 25-30 goals this season ✔️

Fontaine, mcgeoch, Sinclair - all need to wait and see but if previous signings are anything to go by I'm excited about how they will perform

Also given the fact were reported to have tried all we could do to bring griffiths back bit for Celtic not playing ball I think the reaction on here is way over the top

I don't disagree with your assessment of the players we have brought in. However it has been glaringly obvious for some time that we lack any back up in key areas...

Goalkeeper
Centre back (why one in one out..should have been one in and keep Nelson)
athletic forward target man

It was utterly predictable that at some point this season Farid was going to get injured…unlucky that it happened so soon and that he will be out for so long..but there is no way he could be expected to be fit for every game over the whole season..yet we have no back-up

Spike Mandela
02-09-2014, 09:29 AM

..........based on what exactly?

Spike Mandela
02-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Were you one of the "we won't get relegated" delusionists:greengrin

Honestly mate, that team I watched on Saturday is no cert for top 6 never mind top 4.

Heedersnvolleys
02-09-2014, 09:34 AM

I honestly don't think our squad is strong enough and I am sure AS was given the bull$#!+ we were given about rebuilding the squad but has not materialised!

Colr
02-09-2014, 09:36 AM

If Alloa don't get there ahead of us.

Lucius Apuleius
02-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I remember thinking we had the squad to remain in the SPFL, i was wrong.

So did I. To such an extent that on a couple of occasions I very nearly cost myself a lot of money by suggesting to doom and gloomers that we have a wee charity bet. Thankfully I never. 😊. Right up to two minutes to go in the second play off game I could not see us blowing it. The fact we did is indeed a wake up call as to how bad the last lot were. Thefact that some of them remain really does not fill me with confidence. I include every single one of them as you know . However I drew a line in the sand and forgave (as if that actually matters) them all in the interests of supporting the team as opposedto individuals. Still feel that way but as the perennial happy clapper even I am starting to lose patience. We have both been through a lot with this God damned football team (along witha few thousand more obviously). I am not ready to quit now that I have reached the latter stages of my life. I do still believe we will recover from this . The thought of becoming a Clyde or Queens Park is just a stage too far for me to even contemplate.

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I honestly don't think our squad is strong enough and I am sure AS was given the bull$#!+ we were given about rebuilding the squad but has not materialised!

Matter of opinion but I will guarantee you if we released our whole squad these teams that are supposedly stronger than ours would snap them up in an instant

PHEONIXHIBS
02-09-2014, 09:40 AM
This may already have been posted apologies if it has Hibs chief pledges more signings
HIBERNIAN experienced a relatively quiet deadline day, with Celtic winger Dylan McGeouch and Southampton striker Jake Sinclair arriving on season-long loan deals, but chief executive Leeann Dempster told fans that more signings would arrive.
Speaking to supporters at the first of three consultation meetings at Easter Road, Ms Dempster confirmed that the club would replace the injured Farid El Alagui - who sustained a ruptured Achilles in the 2-1 defeat at Alloa - but that it could happen after the window had slammed shut.
Hibs had been linked with a move for Leigh Griffiths since late last week, as well as Lewis Toshney.
Sinclair and McGeouch join Liam Fontaine, Matty Kennedy, Mark Oxley, David Gray, Scott Allan and El Alagui as Alan Stubbs’ summer signings - but the suggestion is that more could arrive outwith the window.(Various)

JimBHibees
02-09-2014, 09:41 AM
The injury to Farid was a sore one that is for sure however if we were to sign a target man and also a combative central midfield we could still be ok squad wise. Biggest disappointment for me was some of the players here not leaving, can imagine some would be on decent money and probably reluctant to leave.

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 09:48 AM
The injury to Farid was a sore one that is for sure however if we were to sign a target man and also a combative central midfield we could still be ok squad wise. Biggest disappointment for me was some of the players here not leaving, can imagine some would be on decent money and probably reluctant to leave.

That will be also a bugbear for the new regime also I bet LD AS would have liked the likes of heff, Craig, etc off the wage bill for new players but you can't just push them if they stand still

carnoustiehibee
02-09-2014, 09:52 AM
If we can't turn teams like Alloa over we are in trouble, and once again when you look through the team you see a team thats very soft in virtually every department. We will not bully any team in this league when our silky soccer :rolleyes: is not working.

A point I made last week. Hibs are far too soft. No tough experienced players to drag handling Stanton Harris Forster through games.

Now our experience lies with Stevenson Craig and Hefferman.

JimBHibees
02-09-2014, 10:02 AM
A point I made last week. Hibs are far too soft. No tough experienced players to drag handling Stanton Harris Forster through games.

Now our experience lies with Stevenson Craig and Hefferman.

Fontaine and Gray are both experienced players who have toughed it out in the lower leagues of England which are physically tougher than the league we play in. Agree the players you have listed have shown little leadership up to now and my first decision would be to give the captaincy to one of these two and allow Craig to concentrate on his own game. His performance and farcical booking on Saturday were embarressing. He may not be happy with that decision however it would take him out of the firing line to an extent.

ManBearPig
02-09-2014, 10:03 AM

this. well said sir

silverhibee
02-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Terry Butcher, what funds was he given when he came to the club, 3 loan deals, last of the big spenders at Hibs.

Our budget is getting diluted each season.

HappyAsHellas
02-09-2014, 10:11 AM
AS has had a rather rude wake up call in the world of being a football manager. The squad as a whole can certainly be improved on, but that goes for every team. I think the Sinclair signing was to partner Farid, so we'll have to wait and see what develops there. Sparky isn't the tallest striker in the world ( people already saying Sinclair is too small! )and does alright finding the net. One concern might be who is available - clubs will have players they were hoping to sell and will now do loan deals.
Whilst this is not perfect, anyone coming in that strengthens what we have is more than welcome. Signing someone outwith the window does not necessarily mean he's an unwanted journeyman. The signings he has made so far have been good, and we'll just have to trust him to continue this policy. It will take time though, and that is the one thing the fans, understandably, may not give. I'll be at the Cowdenbeath game, and hoping to see improvements. I hope the break can get everyone focused on the task in hand.

silverhibee
02-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Should have kicked in by now.

silverhibee
02-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Eddie May. :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Stubbs told an ex Scotland centre forward on Sunday that the job is a lot bigger than he anticipated.

Keith_M
02-09-2014, 10:23 AM

I think that's a really good word.

:greengrin

silverhibee
02-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Hearts are winning EVERY week, we are losing EVERY week. Hearts had their team in early, they get their main man sent off and bring in his replacement who scores a hattrick. They are not losing many goals, they are beating teams like falkirk by 3 goals, a team we lost too.

They also beat us.

Patience G, once we have gelled by December there will be no stopping us.

Greenblood70
02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Stubbs told an ex Scotland centre forward on Sunday that the job is a lot bigger than he anticipated.

Was he trying to sign him at the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Was he trying to sign him at the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:greengrin We were interested in him a few years ago, but he was shot by then.

Lucius Apuleius
02-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Terry Butcher, what funds was he given when he came to the club, 3 loan deals, last of the big spenders at Hibs.

Our budget is getting diluted each season.

Funds have to pay wages as well. Of course our budget is getting diluted. Less supporters equals less money.

Also, just bacause Butcher did not buy anyone in January does not mean funds were not made available.

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 11:20 AM
This is it the more fans turn there back the more the budget will get cut, were all frustrated but we need to give the new regime more than a couple weeks into a season and one transfer window

Robinho08
02-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Baring in mind we're still paying Butcher & co's wages. :brickwall

Colr
02-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Should make them turn up and cut the grass or something.

Pat 0-7
02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
AS has had a rather rude wake up call in the world of being a football manager. The squad as a whole can certainly be improved on, but that goes for every team. I think the Sinclair signing was to partner Farid, so we'll have to wait and see what develops there. Sparky isn't the tallest striker in the world ( people already saying Sinclair is too small! )and does alright finding the net. One concern might be who is available - clubs will have players they were hoping to sell and will now do loan deals.
Whilst this is not perfect, anyone coming in that strengthens what we have is more than welcome. Signing someone outwith the window does not necessarily mean he's an unwanted journeyman. The signings he has made so far have been good, and we'll just have to trust him to continue this policy. It will take time though, and that is the one thing the fans, understandably, may not give. I'll be at the Cowdenbeath game, and hoping to see improvements. I hope the break can get everyone focused on the task in hand.

You can't sign someone outside of the window who is registered to another team. We would only be able to bring in free agents. And how many of them would be good enough to improve us?

Pat 0-7
02-09-2014, 11:31 AM

And those wages could have been used on, what, 4 player wages? As no doubt they are getting a good whack........

:grr:

Crazyhorse
02-09-2014, 11:41 AM

We have a very threadbare squad even for this league. A couple more injuries and we will sink even further. We didn't try all we could to get Griffiths. Laurel and Hardy should have got the cheque book out but they seem quite happy wallowing in another fine mess.

Brightside
02-09-2014, 11:52 AM
And those wages could have been used on, what, 4 player wages? As no doubt they are getting a good whack........

:grr:

Those wages still legally have to be paid though.

Bleeds green
02-09-2014, 11:53 AM
We have a very threadbare squad even for this league. A couple more injuries and we will sink even further. We didn't try all we could to get Griffiths. Laurel and Hardy should have got the cheque book out but they seem quite happy wallowing in another fine mess.

CELTIC said NO ffs

Dalkeith Hibee
02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Maybe Stubbs has been a bit naive thinking the budget was enough to see us challenge. also i still think guys like Craig, Heffernan, Robertson have let him down when they should have been stepping up and making amends. Stubbs should have been given some extra funds to make a push for promotion. Instead the board are penny pinching as always and we are threadbare. I think Stubbs will get fed up and we will lose a good manager

carnoustiehibee
02-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Those wages still legally have to be paid though.

Do they legally need to have a car and petrol card paid by hibs also?

andyf5
02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Absolutely gutted by Saturdays game but I fail to see what Hibs could have done differently irrespective of owner. I think Stubbs is the right man for our club, I think he's right to wait and bring in quality which he has done in his signings. The timing of his arrival was wrong but I'm glad we do not have Butcher. January window coming and I expect more signings then. Bought my season on the last day after seeing the friendlies and was expecting us to compete better than we have. It's hard work being a Hibs supporter!

Brightside
02-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Do they legally need to have a car and petrol card paid by hibs also?

If it was the terms of the contract - yes. Hibs did not SACK Terry. Other option is you pay it all off upfront.. and then we would have cash flow problem.

jacomo
02-09-2014, 12:58 PM

They also beat us.

Hearts have hit the ground running, no doubt about that, but we were always likely to be playing catch up. That was an inevitable consequence of sacking Butcher without a replacement lined up. Other clubs had a month's head start on us, and Hearts have been planning for this Division since January.

However, the fact remains that we have released 18 players and signed 8. Stubbs has an eye for a player but some of them have played very little first team football. Apparently we are trying to get another striker in but the squad looks very light.

Colr
02-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Absolutely gutted by Saturdays game but I fail to see what Hibs could have done differently irrespective of owner. I think Stubbs is the right man for our club, I think he's right to wait and bring in quality which he has done in his signings. The timing of his arrival was wrong but I'm glad we do not have Butcher. January window coming and I expect more signings then. Bought my season on the last day after seeing the friendlies and was expecting us to compete better than we have. It's hard work being a Hibs supporter!

As Butcher profetically pointed out, there's not much available in January and certainly few bargains.

southern hibby
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM

With all due respect I Was told that we were aiming to win this league by LD. The squad should get us into play off position but why should I except mediocre after being promised we were chasing the league?

GGTTH

eastterrace
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM

who going to score the goals for us, also january window are we not losing our goalie and kennedy then so we bring in another goalie and winger in. feel really sorry for stubbs.

steviehibsleith
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM
With all due respect I Was told that we were aiming to win this league by LD. The squad should get us into play off position but why should I except mediocre after being promised we were chasing the league?

GGTTH

I hope you are correct and we make the playoff but with our current squad I don't think so. I'm not convinced with any of our defenders or goalie. And where are the goals coming from . I'm backing Stubbs just wish he had more time to get us 6 more players that's genuinely how short I think we are.