PDA

View Full Version : Does Uncle Rod know something we don't???

spike220
02-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Just a bit of speculation, but I have trying to think rationally about our situation.

One of the conclusions I have reached is that the board know something we don't.

I think there is every reason to believe that there is more than one club Scotland top two leagues that are not going to make it to the end of the season.

We have been set up to survive and Alan has been asked to make us competitive as possible.

I think there is a very real chance of Rangers plus one other disappearing, and we on survival footing for the time being.

In the intrim let the lads have a crack, no pressure!!

That is my theory in any case, shoot me down if you will!

Mr White
02-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Its entirely possible that something like that may happen but I'd be pretty pissed off (and surprised actually) if we were basing our strategy on what might happen elsewhere. We're a shambles but I think that's a result of the restrictions management face rather than any bad intention or interference from Rod Petrie.

worcesterhibby
02-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Nonsense…the SPL need Rangers..they will do everything necessary to ensure they are promoted. Hearts are relatively debt free and are flying…we are absolute Jarko Wiss

wake up

spike220
02-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Its entirely possible that something like that may happen but I'd be pretty pissed off (and surprised actually) if we were basing our strategy on what might happen elsewhere. We're a shambles but I think that's a result of the restrictions management face rather than any bad intention or interference from Rod Petrie.

I am suggesting Rod is in the know and that is what he basing his strategy on.

Gettin' Auld
02-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Is that the same Uncle Rod who told people that questioned him 'behind the goals' towards the end of last season, when things were getting nervy, that Hibs wouldn't be relegated?

scuttle
02-09-2014, 08:42 AM
The only thing that will get us back up is league reconstruction, supposing its an 18 team SPL we would still not go up in our current league position

Nailrodders
02-09-2014, 08:42 AM
I am suggesting Rod is in the know and that is what he basing his strategy on.Well in that case we'll just have to hope there aren't any more Mrs Cludgie's going to suddenly emerge from the woodwork and beggar up his finely-honed strategies.

Otherwise he'll be left once again looking like a big fat stupid smug idiot who doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Spike Mandela
02-09-2014, 08:43 AM

...........or he knows we are to be sold in the near future and no point wasting money on something you are getting shot of.:devil:

The_Todd
02-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Nonsense…the SPL need Rangers..they will do everything necessary to ensure they are promoted. Hearts are relatively debt free and are flying…we are absolute Jarko Wiss

wake up

No it doesn't. It might think it does, but no it doesn't.

Greenblood70
02-09-2014, 09:14 AM

I hate Rangers as much as the next man but I never understand this argument. We do not have a major sponsor for the top league in the country and look at the attendances in the SPL last weekend, barely an attendance over 4000 and Aberdeen who are supposed to be the resurgent force barely scraping 11k at home to an entertaining Partick side. Football in this country is dying on its arse and desperately needs its big city clubs in the top leagues.

greenpaper55
02-09-2014, 09:27 AM

As regards football Rod does not know his erse from his elbow !.

worcesterhibby
02-09-2014, 09:29 AM

happy to accept that correction…but it amounts to the same as far as the argument is concerned.

HFC 0-7
02-09-2014, 09:40 AM

How Can he know a club won't make it? If a club is facing financial difficulties there is no way to know whether it will be terminal or not as there is no way to know how wealthy fans or businesses will react and help out. If he is basing a strategy on knowing a couple of clubs MAY disappear then we really are in trouble. If his strategy is based on a clubs in a financial pickle, the club in question is probably us.

PeeJay
02-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Just a bit of speculation, but I have trying to think rationally about our situation.

One of the conclusions I have reached is that the board know something we don't.

I think there is every reason to believe that there is more than one club Scotland top two leagues that are not going to make it to the end of the season.

We have been set up to survive and Alan has been asked to make us competitive as possible.

I think there is a very real chance of Rangers plus one other disappearing, and we on survival footing for the time being.

This is just more of the misguided belief amongst many Hibs fans that the Rangers or Hearts will soon be gone and everything will then be fine. Both these clubs currently are on a better footing than our club, which despite the so-called imminent demise of the aforementioned, sees us in the same league as them yet inexplicably not able to compete with them ... if anyone is in serious trouble of "going" I'd say we were fine candidates - and I don't think Rod has the foggiest about any of the goings on at our club or indeed any of the clubs ... what you (erroneously IMO) consider to be a masterplan on his part I would suggest is actually just plain incompetence on his part - much to my dismay. As fans we really should stop pretending that we will be the "last club standing": seems to me that we are on our knees and we have been for some time now ...

Deansy
Yeah, 'Uncle Rod' KNOWS he couldn't give a flying-fluk about the support (well, apart from their SPL prices ST money) - the support merely THINKS it !

--------

When do you get back from Cloud-Cuckoo Land, spike?

Rationally speaking, once again our esteemed owner and his Sancho Panza satv firmly on their wallets all through the transfer window, trusting that the support would do as we've always done in the past - when things go pear-shaped, blame the manager and players.

Rationally speaking, I would suggest that neither Farmer nor Petrie give a toss about the football team.

Rationally speaking, until they're both completely out of the club, there will be no good ending to this sorry saga of under-investment and neglect.

Rationally speaking, Hibs have been right royally screwed, and the culprits are the bold lads who hold the vast majority of the shares, make the important decisions, and let others take the blame. FARMER and PETRIE.

And I trust you'll forgive me for saying this, but your OP is about the biggest load of horse-feathers I've read on this forum for a very long time.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I think it's clear that most fans don't get the fact that nobody is going to plough money into a business that is up for sale. It's like fitting a new kitchen before you put your house on the market.

Bottom line is, only a nutter would buy a toxic brand. When dealing with nutters you're in a sellers market.

I am feeling nuts enough to pledge money to buy them out. I am not prepared to bake cakes at this juncture. However, one more transfer window like this and the recipe books are out!

ahibby
02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Oh dear. It's best to keep it simple and admit that we are simply crap and clueless as a club when it comes to success on the park. There has been something in football terms that is rotten to the core. No conspiracy theories about clubs going bust so we can afford to be crap, it just doesn't wash. If you like conspiracy theories though then how about this one. The current ownership of the club has decided to sell ER and in order to justify it they are intentionally running the club down in football terms so that crowds and fans disappear leaving them in a justifiable position to sell ER and ground share with our footballing astute neighbours. RP and STF pocket a nice wad from the sale. No supporters are around to complain because we've dropped to league1 (the third tier in Scotland). How's that for a conspiracy, if you need to have one?

There are no master plans/conspiracies our club is just inept, incompetent as far as giving us a good/successful football team is concerned. We rely to much on young players who are not as good as, the previous young team of Brown, Whitaker, Fletcher, Riordan, O'Connor et al. To make that worse the important senior players i.e. Craig and Robertson are doing nothing for us. No wonder we are sh***. I saw a thread titled Boo Boys, well instead of booing why don't we take a page out of Aberdeen's book and chant the song 'We're sh*** and we know we are'. Maybe that'll get the message over better than booing.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Oh dear. It's best to keep it simple and admit that we are simply crap and clueless as a club when it comes to success on the park. There has been something in football terms that is rotten to the core. No conspiracy theories about clubs going bust so we can afford to be crap, it just doesn't wash. If you like conspiracy theories though then how about this one. The current ownership of the club has decided to sell ER and in order to justify it they are intentionally running the club down in football terms so that crowds and fans disappear leaving them in a justifiable position to sell ER and ground share with our footballing astute neighbours. RP and STF pocket a nice wad from the sale. No supporters are around to complain because we've dropped to league1 (the third tier in Scotland). How's that for a conspiracy, if you need to have one?

There are no master plans/conspiracies our club is just inept, incompetent as far as giving us a good/successful football team is concerned. We rely to much on young players who are not as good as, the previous young team of Brown, Whitaker, Fletcher, Riordan, O'Connor et al. To make that worse the important senior players i.e. Craig and Robertson are doing nothing for us. No wonder we are sh***. I saw a thread titled Boo Boys, well instead of booing why don't we take a page out of Aberdeen's book and chant the song 'We're sh*** and we know we are'. Maybe that'll get the message over better than booing.

Makes sense to me. There has to have been some plan in place. Nobody can be this bad by accident.

ahibby
02-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Makes sense to me. There has to have been some plan in place. Nobody can be this bad by accident.

Nobody can be as bad as Hibs have been in the past few years anyway for sure. Imagine 2000 fans sitting in a 20,000 capacity stadium deary me. I'm amazed that we can still pull in 9000 + despite what we have had to put up with but I can't see that being maintained for long with the standard and approach we have. Okay if you bump your customers to save money like Hearts have done (not paying bills etc) then you obviously have cash spare to develop your team more but that a side, Hibs have had opportunities to develop as well as, and just haven't done it. The club isn't competent lets face it.

Colr
02-09-2014, 10:22 AM
This is just more of the misguided belief amongst many Hibs fans that the Rangers or Hearts will soon be gone and everything will then be fine. Both these clubs currently are on a better footing than our club, which despite the so-called imminent demise of the aforementioned, sees us in the same league as them yet inexplicably not able to compete with them ... if anyone is in serious trouble of "going" I'd say we were fine candidates - and I don't think Rod has the foggiest about any of the goings on at our club or indeed any of the clubs ... what you (erroneously IMO) consider to be a masterplan on his part I would suggest is actually just plain incompetence on his part - much to my dismay. As fans we really should stop pretending that we will be the "last club standing": seems to me that we are on our knees and we have been for some time now ...
This.

Keith_M
02-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Congratulations, that is the best bit of Straw Clutching I've read in a very long time.

:thumbsup:

I think the truth is much more simple than that. Hibs, as a club, have lacked ambition for a very long time. I see no evidence of it returning soon. IMHO, the club have decided to accept staying down for at least two seasons, so that they don't have to spend big money to compete with Hearts and Rangers.

Is that a sensible policy? I don't think so, but I'm not the one in charge.

WeeRussell
02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
How Can he know a club won't make it? If a club is facing financial difficulties there is no way to know whether it will be terminal or not as there is no way to know how wealthy fans or businesses will react and help out. If he is basing a strategy on knowing a couple of clubs MAY disappear then we really are in trouble. If his strategy is based on a clubs in a financial pickle, the club in question is probably us.

Some people knew what was coming for Rangers a good bit in advance before it was all official and announced/leaked. Not saying that IS the case here but prior knowledge is very much possible. Having said that, I don't think anyone is in such a visibly poor state (financially) now as they were back then, when people "knew."

Green Fish
02-09-2014, 10:54 AM

If that is the case then there should be a degree of transparency.

If LD and RP read this, then know this, I am disgusted with you both, empty promise after empty promise. RP, you should hang your head in shame, tell us the truth for once. Ffs be a man and stop treating us with contempt.

I will back the team and the manager and attend as often as I can. My kids are ST holders but it's getting harder and harder to persuade them to go. In short, you are slowly but surely killing the club we all love.

The_Todd
02-09-2014, 10:54 AM
I hate Rangers as much as the next man but I never understand this argument. We do not have a major sponsor for the top league in the country and look at the attendances in the SPL last weekend, barely an attendance over 4000 and Aberdeen who are supposed to be the resurgent force barely scraping 11k at home to an entertaining Partick side. Football in this country is dying on its arse and desperately needs its big city clubs in the top leagues.

Scottish football may be broken, but it's been broken by proximity to Europe's richest league, money and overdependence on the Old Firm. We could just happily accept that the rest of Scottish football exists simply to give the OF something to do between their derbies and short flirtations with Europe simply to gain more sponsorship or we can accept a lower quality product but walk heads held high. I know which I choose.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 11:01 AM

Maybe there's a drift from the cities in society in general, and that's led to the demise of the big city clubs?

Sudds_1
02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Well in that case we'll just have to hope there aren't any more Mrs Cludgie's going to suddenly emerge from the woodwork and beggar up his finely-honed strategies.

Otherwise he'll be left once again looking like a big fat stupid smug idiot who doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

..looking like? He is. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
If that is the case then there should be a degree of transparency.

If LD and RP read this, then know this, I am disgusted with you both, empty promise after empty promise. RP, you should hang your head in shame, tell us the truth for once. Ffs be a man and stop treating us with contempt.

I will back the team and the manager and attend as often as I can. My kids are ST holders but it's getting harder and harder to persuade them to go. In short, you are slowly but surely killing the club we all love.

:rolleyes:

Will nobody think of our children?

proud_and_green
02-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I am intrigued as to what LD is thinking now. There she is having left Motherwell - a club doing well - to come here to a club which needs a lot of work on it and apparently with some form of promise that she would be in charge. She then stands up and says that she is going to change the way the club is run and, to be fair there were indications that work was started. I then compare that with the evidence that we need to overhaul the playing staff and bring in new players against the reality of what has actually transpired. We have not seen any change in results all be it we play with a bit more style en route to the same results as last year and we still can't score goals, the midfield can't keep the ball and the defence is poderpuff soft in front of a worse keeper than last year.

Where is the improvement?

If LD meant everything she said when she came in then this must be part of her plan for the club, in which case no change from RP

if she is is not behind this less than inspiring transfer window, then can we assume that she will not be happy by the turn of events and shortly see her depart the club on the grounds that she wasn't actually given the freedom to run it.

Either way, i cannot see that this is a very good time for the club - regardless of what is happening on the pitch. LD is either Rod in disguise or simply a patsy for Rod.

The last few years i have renewed my season ticket optimistically and against the argument of the evidence in front of me, i am fed up with it and suspect i will struggle to look blindly past the evidence and renew again!

brog
02-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Scottish football may be broken, but it's been broken by proximity to Europe's richest league, money and overdependence on the Old Firm. We could just happily accept that the rest of Scottish football exists simply to give the OF something to do between their derbies and short flirtations with Europe simply to gain more sponsorship or we can accept a lower quality product but walk heads held high. I know which I choose.

Good comment, the OF are a blight on Scotland.

Crazyhorse
02-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Not wishing to attack you at all directly but this kind of thinking reminds me the stories that circulated in Berlin in 1945 as the Russians were closing in that any day now the Furher would launch the secret weapon he had up his sleeve and the counterattack would begin. The US and GB would switch sides and join Germany in pushing back the Red Army etc. etc.

Petrie is a buffoon who has failed in everything he has done for years now (except persuade Farmer to keep him in his role at Hibs... failing...). I'm afraid the idea that this is all part of some master plan isn't credible.

NAE NOOKIE
02-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Maybe there's a drift from the cities in society in general, and that's led to the demise of the big city clubs?

According to recent projections the populations of Aberdeen and Edinburgh are due to rise quite a bit in the next 20 years and Dundee is also up and coming.

It is hard work typing loads of theories as to why and how we have arrived at this point. Who cares what Petrie does or doesn't know, the bottom line is that we have ended up where we are and not in a crash and burn in search of glory type of way, but rather in a slow decline death by a thousand cuts type of way.

My thoughts are why the hell would you trust the people who presided over our demise ignoring all the warning signs along the way to be the ones to turn it around. Leeann Dempster may well be brilliant at her job, but she still needs Farmer and Petrie to agree every decision she makes were a financial outlay is concerned ........................... because of that nothing will really change until they either find a way to fund the club better or bugger off.

gjb1875
02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Don't want to upset anyone but hasn't Kano went very quiet.

emerald green
02-09-2014, 06:12 PM

What do you base your theory on?

I've heard of clutching at straws, but if you think that The Rangers are going to "disappear" I think you are in for a disappointment mate (as much as I detest them).

Can you share with us who you think the "plus one other" club is. Cheers.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 11:12 AM
According to recent projections the populations of Aberdeen and Edinburgh are due to rise quite a bit in the next 20 years and Dundee is also up and coming.

It is hard work typing loads of theories as to why and how we have arrived at this point. Who cares what Petrie does or doesn't know, the bottom line is that we have ended up where we are and not in a crash and burn in search of glory type of way, but rather in a slow decline death by a thousand cuts type of way.

My thoughts are why the hell would you trust the people who presided over our demise ignoring all the warning signs along the way to be the ones to turn it around. Leeann Dempster may well be brilliant at her job, but she still needs Farmer and Petrie to agree every decision she makes were a financial outlay is concerned ........................... because of that nothing will really change until they either find a way to fund the club better or bugger off.

I agree, it's time for them to go, they want to go. Lets try and find a credible way of buying them out.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Don't want to upset anyone but hasn't Kano went very quiet.

Oh David, you tease......

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/paul-kane-urges-hibs-fans-to-engage-in-survey-calling-for-change-1-3529503

What's the chances of a post like yours appearing the same day as Paul Kane talks to the media?

Not being funny, Mr. Hardie, but it should be "gone very quiet". Dont they teach you anything at journalism school these days?

jacomo
03-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Nobody knows anything. Loads of speculation, but not even the people who are running Der Hun know what's going to happen to Der Hun.

If the current owners all decide to throw in the towel and sell to Dave King tomorrow, then the whole circus moves on.

Meanwhile, over at Hearts the Budgie seems to have her head screwed on and won't let anything get in the way of getting her money back.

Besides, Raith Rovers are better placed than us to capitalise on any stumble from those two at the moment!

Mathias Jack
03-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Maybe Hearts yeah, did you read Rangers financial report out a few months ago? Tried to look for it online but can't find it, i've got a copy in the house. Makes some interesting reading. It should've been re-titled 'How Not to Run A Football Club'. Not that we are perfect, obviously. Splashed just under £2million on LED advertising and upgrading their jumbotron, contracts were put together by admin staff not legal staff. From mishap to mishap, and from July 2012 to Dec 2013, they managed to rinse £30million.

They couldn't get credit by a merchant acquirer, so could only sell season tickets by cash. Their recent share offer failed to attract any new investors and was therefore offered to current investors. Most have ignored it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11065161/Rangers-face-threat-of-selling-Ibrox-or-training-ground-amid-fears-club-will-fail-to-pay-creditors.html

The article above is evidence that the Rangers are not in a better financial footing than us.

Nutmegged
03-09-2014, 01:06 PM
If our "stratagy" is to succeed by default then that in itself is gross mismanagement, we can't just exist as a club in the hope that our rivals will go bust even if we do hve some inside information on certain probabilities

the slope
03-09-2014, 02:20 PM
I've been giving this some thought and I reckon given the fact we've signed very few players during the summer that Rod and the board have decided to write this season off with both the rangers and the yams being in the championship as well . Then next season put in the extra money to bring in the players so that we win the leauge at a canter ,
Now I know that may mean crowds dropping a bit this season however if we get off to a flyer next season then fans will come back to Easter rd in large numbers .

Nutmegged
03-09-2014, 02:22 PM
I've been giving this some thought and I reckon given the fact we've signed very few players during the summer that Rod and the board have decided to write this season off with both the rangers and the yams being in the championship as well . Then next season put in the extra money to bring in the players so that we win the leauge at a canter ,
Now I know that may mean crowds dropping a bit this season however if we get off to a flyer next season then fans will come back to Easter rd in large numbers .

Thats exactlt whats happened and was predictable from the day we lost to Hamilton, the crowds may drop this season but will be back in numbers near rhe end of the Season if we're pushing for a Play-Off place

ancient hibee
03-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Maybe Hearts yeah, did you read Rangers financial report out a few months ago? Tried to look for it online but can't find it, i've got a copy in the house. Makes some interesting reading. It should've been re-titled 'How Not to Run A Football Club'. Not that we are perfect, obviously. Splashed just under £2million on LED advertising and upgrading their jumbotron, contracts were put together by admin staff not legal staff. From mishap to mishap, and from July 2012 to Dec 2013, they managed to rinse £30million.

They couldn't get credit by a merchant acquirer, so could only sell season tickets by cash. Their recent share offer failed to attract any new investors and was therefore offered to current investors. Most have ignored it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11065161/Rangers-face-threat-of-selling-Ibrox-or-training-ground-amid-fears-club-will-fail-to-pay-creditors.html

The article above is evidence that the Rangers are not in a better financial footing than us.

This is exactly right.Rangers are trying to get enough money together to get them through to their AGM when they will try to get authority for a new share issue.There is absolutely no guarantee that they will achieve this.King will not buy shares from the existing shareholders because he won't put money into their pockets.The exiting shareholders won't let their shares go for nothing but there is evidence that they are not prepared to put more money in.As Rangers have no credit facilities(they had to borrow cash from shareholders against security which is what the current attempt to raise money to pay the loans back is all about)they have every likliehood of going to the wall again and may be gambling on being able to cope with a points deduction.

spike220
07-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Not yet convinced that ny theory is totally guff!!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-rangers-face-immediate-spfl-4177789

PeeJay
07-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Fair point except I didn't say financial footing in my post, I just said footing, i.e. overall including on the field (where it ultimately matters in case Petrie is reading any of this) they're moving up, despite all their financial problems: we're moving down despite all our lack of financial problems ... still maybe they'll go bust and disappear, then again maybe not ... too big to fail is the phrase used elsewhere I believe.

Meanwhile we can't even beat part timers (not to mention the teams that are about to go or have gone bust) ...

TheDude
07-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Total Gregg's stuff but I was at a function with everyone's favourite Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill who told me that Rangers wouldn't make it through the season.

Its pretty worthless though, even if they do go under we look so poor that third place is a distant dream right now.

jacomo
07-09-2014, 06:33 PM
This is exactly right.Rangers are trying to get enough money together to get them through to their AGM when they will try to get authority for a new share issue.There is absolutely no guarantee that they will achieve this.King will not buy shares from the existing shareholders because he won't put money into their pockets.The exiting shareholders won't let their shares go for nothing but there is evidence that they are not prepared to put more money in.As Rangers have no credit facilities(they had to borrow cash from shareholders against security which is what the current attempt to raise money to pay the loans back is all about)they have every likliehood of going to the wall again and may be gambling on being able to cope with a points deduction.

Dave King's main criticism of Rangers is not that they are burning too much cash, but that they are not thinking big enough. The guy certainly talks big but is yet to back it up. He did help decimate season ticket sales though, pushing Der Neuer Hun closer to the brink.

Weststandwanab
07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Total Gregg's stuff but I was at a function with everyone's favourite Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill who told me that Rangers wouldn't make it through the season.

Its pretty worthless though, even if they do go under we look so poor that third place is a distant dream right now.

I met with the Justice minister who told me there was nothing he could do about people parking on pavements.

Forza Fred
07-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Is that the same Uncle Rod who told people that questioned him 'behind the goals' towards the end of last season, when things were getting nervy, that Hibs wouldn't be relegated?

An emphatic, "that's not going to happen" were his words I believe when relegation was suggested.

I'm afraid I wouldn't place much faith in his ability to think things through to a likely outcome anymore.

Stevie Reid
07-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Not yet convinced that ny theory is totally guff!!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-rangers-face-immediate-spfl-4177789

Whilst I have absolutely no sympathy for Rangers obviously, it would be perfectly in keeping with the depressing Hearts narrative if they happened to be the main beneficiaries from Rangers breaking rules that were only brought in due to Hearts' own misdemeanours.