PDA

View Full Version : Farmer must go

Gustavo Fring
02-09-2014, 06:36 AM
and take your tube , sorry conduit with you

yes i know he saved hibs , what quarter of a century ago but all that good work is in danger of being forgotten as we slide into oblivion

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-09-2014, 06:40 AM
He doesn't look too interested does he? not even a peep from him when Kano put the bid in, just the usual wall of silence, what's that all about? is he allergic to the press? he certainly is allergic to the supporters of the club he owns.

Very concerned now about what is happening here.

J-C
02-09-2014, 06:48 AM
One word answer YES

Colr
02-09-2014, 07:09 AM
He's not listening to Hibs fans. If you want his attention you need to target his other business and philanthropic interests. Make a nuisance of yourselves.

JustSimplyHibs
02-09-2014, 07:13 AM
and take your tube , sorry conduit with you

yes i know he saved hibs , what quarter of a century ago but all that good work is in danger of being forgotten as we slide into oblivion

He's not interested, the only way to make him take notice is boycott ER and protest at his businesses (dont give him the business either, find another tyre ftter)...

Even then he wont sell up.

Michael
02-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Doesn't seem like there's anyone interested in buying that can afford the club. Probably take a bid close to £20m.

Gustavo Fring
02-09-2014, 07:16 AM
He's not interested, the only way to make him take notice is boycott ER and protest at his businesses (dont give him the business either, find another tyre ftter)...

Even then he wont sell up.

would he even notice a boycott of E.R ?

is he ever in E.R on match days ?

Colr
02-09-2014, 07:16 AM
He sold Kwikfit to Ford. Don't know if he retains a shareholding. They are **** tyre fitters anyway.

JustSimplyHibs
02-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Doesn't seem like there's anyone interested in buying that can afford the club. Probably take a bid close to £20m.

No chance in our current state... the £3.5 million on offer is more than enough, look at the mess and investment in the tem the new owner would have to make.

J-C
02-09-2014, 07:18 AM
He sold Kwikfit to Ford. Don't know if he retains a shareholding. They are **** tyre fitters anyway.

Nope it was a total sell out, the one main thing he was not allowed to do post sale was to start up a rival tyre company in England after a certain amount of time, he then simply started one up in Scotland instead doing exactly what Kwit Fit does.

JustSimplyHibs
02-09-2014, 07:20 AM
would he even notice a boycott of E.R ? YES and so would the everyone else.

is he ever in E.R on match days ? More interested on what goes on, on the field than who sits in the 'look at me i'm priviledged seats', so couldnae answer that one

Michael
02-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Well, basically you're paying for the clubs assets which are worth about £20m. Unless Farmer is feeling charitable, that's how much it will be.

McIntosh
02-09-2014, 07:23 AM
yes.....time for him to go

Baader
02-09-2014, 07:23 AM
The total indifference that has been strangling Hibs comes from the top and cascades right through the club. Farmer's silence after the disaster of relegation was deafening - it was also extremely disrespectful to the fans. Whether he likes it or not he is still the owner of this club.

Would he have failed to communicate with shareholders or partners if one of his other businesses had seen their stock plummet in a similar way? Not a chance.

He has never claimed any interest in football but that doesn't mean he can treat paying customers of his club as mugs.

Colr
02-09-2014, 07:24 AM
How are the assets worth that? Their value is totally tied to the value of the business which is much less. That aside it is more an issue of price than value. How much does Farmer want. That may change if it becomes more of a pain in the arse to hold than to sell. We're being too passive and need to take the protest to Farmer.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-09-2014, 07:28 AM
He's not listening to Hibs fans. If you want his attention you need to target his other business and philanthropic interests. Make a nuisance of yourselves.

Far too many happy clappers/sheep at ER for us to do that in large numbers on a regular basis IMO, he's never at ER as others have pointed out so what good will it do? brushed under the carpet at the next boardroom meeting.

I honestly despair that this man with such a brilliant business acumen can't even be bothered to put out any kind of statement of any sort and tell the fans what's going to happen in the future, a very strange way of thinking for an owner of such a large concern.

We need change and soon but I won't be holding my breath that's for sure.

oneone73
02-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Far too many happy clappers/sheep at ER for us to do that in large numbers on a regular basis IMO, he's never at ER as others have pointed out so what good will it do? brushed under the carpet at the next boardroom meeting.

I honestly despair that this man with such a brilliant business acumen can't even be bothered to put out any kind of statement of any sort and tell the fans what's going to happen in the future, a very strange way of thinking for an owner of such a large concern.

We need change and soon but I won't be holding my breath that's for sure.

What kind of an owner doesn't even attend cup finals FFS? He just doesn't get Hibs, never has. His apathy has seeped everywhere and poisoned the whole club.

Golden Bear
02-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Going is one thing but attracting credible replacement(s) is another thing.

It's the secret society out there and I've absolutely no idea if Kano's cronies bid was turned down or whether it is still a "work in progress"

NatureBoy
02-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I genuinely believe that Farmer and Petrie love the ego boost and prestige of owning and running a football club. They have no interest in making us a success but will never sell. So long as Rod can stroll about behind the goals acting the main man all is rosy in their minds!

oneone73
02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
I genuinely believe that Farmer and Petrie love the ego boost and prestige of owning and running a football club. They have no interest in making us a success but will never sell. So long as Rod can stroll about behind the goals acting the main man all is rosy in their minds!

Why is he allowed to? Does nobody challenge him? On a related point, maybe it's time to boycott BTG, merchandise, catering and hospitality. Starve this regime out. It might be the only language they understand.

allezsauzee
02-09-2014, 08:05 AM

I don't really think Farmer needs the ego boost to be honest and i suspect he was hoping that somebody would take Hibs off his hands a long time ago. For a long time I've thought we are better off having him there making sure we stay afloat rather than take the chance that we might end up being owned by a Romanov type character but we've fallen so far that I think we can't possibly do any worse. I do find it interesting that we automatically blame the disappointing activity in the transfer window on the board rather than apportioning any blame to the management team though, surely they can see we are desperately short of quality up front...even before Farid was injured.

gillie
02-09-2014, 08:06 AM

He owns farmer autocare tho

NatureBoy
02-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Why is he allowed to? Does nobody challenge him? On a related point, maybe it's time to boycott BTG, merchandise, catering and hospitality. Starve this regime out. It might be the only language they understand.

He has such a brass neck on him, I was at hospitality at the Livi game and he strolled over to our table like he was the messiah!

Telling quote from him when we mentioned badly needing new players, his reply was 'you sound just like the manager'! Seems to me rock all has changed and he's firmly in control.

if there was a stadium boycott I'd be in, there seems nothing else we can do.

Www1875hfc
02-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Boycott
I'm in.
We just have to.
Been a season ticket holder for 35 years,and i'm seriously thinking of chucking it.
Saturday at Alloa was an all time low for me.

R'Albin
02-09-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't really think Farmer needs the ego boost to be honest and i suspect he was hoping that somebody would take Hibs off his hands a long time ago. For a long time I've thought we are better off having him there making sure we stay afloat rather than take the chance that we might end up being owned by a Romanov type character but we've fallen so far that I think we can't possibly do any worse. I do find it interesting that we automatically blame the disappointing activity in the transfer window on the board rather than apportioning any blame to the management team though, surely they can see we are desperately short of quality up front...even before Farid was injured.

I think they did realise as Sinclair was approached on the Friday - before Farid got injured. I've found some of Stubbs's decisions questionable but he can't be blamed for this IMO.

Colr
02-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Thats the place to protest. Hang about outside hand out flyers invite folk to take business elsewhere and sign an online petition. Will probably boost his Jambo clients!

Is he not something to do with QMU?

Colr
02-09-2014, 08:32 AM
He has such a brass neck on him, I was at hospitality at the Livi game and he strolled over to our table like he was the messiah!

Telling quote from him when we mentioned badly needing new players, his reply was 'you sound just like the manager'! Seems to me rock all has changed and he's firmly in control.

All go to watch Edinburgh City instead for a few weeks. Massive increase in their gate would get press coverage. I recall Ceptic fans doing this many years back and it hit the main news ( prior to the McCann investment). Think Man U fans dis something similar.

NatureBoy
02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
All go to watch Edinburgh City instead for a few weeks. Massive increase in their gate would get press coverage. I recall Ceptic fans doing this many years back and it hit the main news ( prior to the McCann investment). Think Man U fans dis something similar.

Edinburgh City are at home when we play Cowdebeath. If this is the course of action fans decide count me in. We can't just keep going, action is now needed!

J-C
02-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Edinburgh City are at home when we play Cowdebeath. If this is the course of action fans decide count me in. We can't just keep going, action is now needed!

And if you do it, make sure everyone wears the Hibs colours and get the media told what's happening, no point in doing anything like this if no one knows about it.

Colr
02-09-2014, 08:49 AM

Someone needs to be coordinating this? Are . Net and the bounce in contact with each other? Have they lines of communication with St Pats and Kane?

NatureBoy
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
And if you do it, make sure everyone wears the Hibs colours and get the media told what's happening, no point in doing anything like this if no one knows about it.

I agree Hibs colours and media contact required. I have zero connections bar my Dad and mates who go to the games but could round up 15 or so like minded people.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 10:22 AM

Yes, one of Scotland's richest men, a knight of the realm, as well as a Papal knight, needs the ego boost of running a club in a league on the fringes of Europe.

Why, he's so insecure that being able to say you we're pumped 7-0 at home in the Inter Toto cup, makes him feel like a big man.

When he's having a pint with his fellow squilliinaires on holiday, he'll drop into conversation that Lewis Stevenson regularly comes to parties at his house.

Rather than being an ego boost, I think that Hibs are Tom's dirty little secret. The thing he can turn to for an antidote against the addiction of success. It's things like that and going to Brewers Fayres for his tea that keep in touch with the man he really is.

Rosebud.

ahibby
02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Can't simply get rid off when there is no viable alternative option. Hibs assets are worth circa 20million plus when stripped down, so no way they will sell for 3.5.

Keith_M
02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Farmer and Petrie's time at Hibs is WAY over. Farmer has no interest in the club and Petrie has no ambition or desire to achieve anything where it matters, on the pitch.

However, there needs to be somebody willing to buy Farmer out, else it's irrelevant what we all think. People have come on here to canvass the Fans opinions of a Takover, e.g. asking whether we'd be willing to stump up money, and been rounded on by some posters. It's not exactly a situation conducive to encouraging a Fan backed Takeover.

GreenCastle
02-09-2014, 10:47 AM
What's taken you all so long to realise we have been heading into the oblivion for years.

Same so called leaders...same outcome..we are a joke of a club right now.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Farmer and Petrie's time at Hibs is WAY over. Farmer has no interest in the club and Petrie has no ambition or desire to achieve anything where it matters, on the pitch.

However, there needs to be somebody willing to buy Farmer out, else it's irrelevant what we all think. People have come on here to canvass the Fans opinions of a Takover, e.g. asking whether we'd be willing to stump up money, and been rounded on by some posters. It's not exactly a situation conducive to encouraging a Fan backed Takeover.

Convincing people you have the ability to run the club is not made easier when you get caught out by a simple question like "what mandate do you have"?

The summer revolution was high on tub thumping, finger pointing and vitriol. Unfortunately it also appeared to have taken the "punters" for granted and ended up in "if your not for us, you're against us".

A clear, mutually agreed buy out plan is what's needed for fans to back it. I was out off by the bullying tactics of some, because asking questions became a form of treachery.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 10:57 AM
What's taken you all so long to realise we have been heading into the oblivion for years.

Same so called leaders...same outcome..we are a joke of a club right now.

We obviously don't have your cynicism/self-loathing/sense of humour. (Delete as appropriate).

Colr
02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Convincing people you have the ability to run the club is not made easier when you get caught out by a simple question like "what mandate do you have"?

The summer revolution was high on tub thumping, finger pointing and vitriol. Unfortunately it also appeared to have taken the "punters" for granted and ended up in "if your not for us, you're against us".

A clear, mutually agreed buy out plan is what's needed for fans to back it. I was out off by the bullying tactics of some, because asking questions became a form of treachery.

Totally agree. It needs to be fronted by someone with experience in running a business as well as understanding and enthusiasm. The other suite of skills beneath that need to be assembled first from CFO on.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Totally agree. It needs to be fronted by someone with experience in running a business as well as understanding and enthusiasm. The other suite of skills beneath that need to be assembled first from CFO on.

I think we need to get an advert out to try and attract somebody that's really good at these sort of things, to come forward. :greengrin

WestEndHibee
02-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes, one of Scotland's richest men, a knight of the realm, as well as a Papal knight, needs the ego boost of running a club in a league on the fringes of Europe.

Why, he's so insecure that being able to say you we're pumped 7-0 at home in the Inter Toto cup, makes him feel like a big man.

When he's having a pint with his fellow squilliinaires on holiday, he'll drop into conversation that Lewis Stevenson regularly comes to parties at his house.

Rather than being an ego boost, I think that Hibs are Tom's dirty little secret. The thing he can turn to for an antidote against the addiction of success. It's things like that and going to Brewers Fayres for his tea that keep in touch with the man he really is.

Rosebud.

:thumbsup:

GreenCastle
02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
We obviously don't have your cynicism/self-loathing/sense of humour. (Delete as appropriate).

Some would say wisdom :wink:

Maybe another relegation would make others wake up and see how low we have dropped.

Crazyhorse
02-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Rosebud.

Nice bit of psychoanalysis :wink:

Colr
02-09-2014, 11:37 AM
I think we need to get an advert out to try and attract somebody that's really good at these sort of things, to come forward. :greengrin

Networks

Beefster
02-09-2014, 11:37 AM
People have come on here to canvass the Fans opinions of a Takover, e.g. asking whether we'd be willing to stump up money, and been rounded on by some posters.

If by 'rounded on', you mean 'questioned', I agree. If I proposed something ambitious on the Internet, the first questions that I'd expect to be asked are "who are you?" and "what are your relevant qualifications/experience?".

I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm not for blindly following anyone just because I don't particularly like the alternative. I'm all for getting rid of Farmer and Petrie but only if they are replaced by people I trust to do the best thing for the club. To have that trust, I need information, not airy-fairy promises of things getting better by default.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Some would say wisdom :wink:

Maybe another relegation would make others wake up and see how low we have dropped.

I think everybody knows, if only we'd had your wisdom we might have prevented it. :wink::greengrin

Nice bit of psychoanalysis :wink:

That will be £75 Tom. :greengrin

Golden Bear
02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I've got to presume we're all Hibs supporters and we have a common aim - a winning football team and that should be the prime consideration.

While I agree that everything in the garden is by no means rosy, what I don't agree with is the timing of the protests which at this time of the season, can only further unrest and divert everyone's attention away from the playing side.

Can we not wait until season end by which time we'll all have had an opportunity to fully assess the impact that the new Chief Executive and new Manager has had on the team and the scouting and coaching set ups?

Bad Martini
02-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I find myself of being in the rather unusual position of being absoutely speachless.

:not worth:greengrin:thumbsup::aok:

Didn't last too long though :greengrin

So, to summarise what we need:

1) Someone with sufficient funds to buy the club outright. I am unclear of where the "club" ends and the "holding company" starts but for the purposes of discussion, we'll just work on the assumption we want someone to have ownership and sufficient shares to control both...that would include assets such as Easter Road Stadium and East Mains. So, we can safely assume that the land itself, putting aside all else will stop all talk of Hibs being worth £2-£3m?

2) Someone who accept, and have the means to service our current debts and liabilties and in addition, someone who could quickly dig us out any future situations that may necessitate it i.e. "put in money". NB topical point of discussion "the rangers" and their need for a share issue i.e. money to keep afloat....

3) In addition, this someone must also be willing to/have the means to "invest in the team" (otherwise points 1 and 2 above are covered by Tom Farmer)...so, to be fair - we're looking for someone to put cash in to help us speculate to accumulate at best or to take a punt on some fitba players and let us hope they dont get broken legs and get a return of investment.

4) Finally, the individual needs to be trustworthy, intelligent, worldly, smart, sufficiently minted to purchase the above and keep it all ticking over and (lets be honest) not be looking to make anything from said "investment".

:greengrin

Sorted.

:aok:

I'm gonna go find this punter now, whilst hunting down Lord Lucan and Shergar...:aok:

NB - I'd be delighted if we got rid of Petrie. I wouldn't be sad if Tom Farmer sold Hibs....but ONLY to someone who has the same or more cash, who doesn't have an alternative agenda and ideally someone who would actually improve over what we have. Otherwise, what is the point?

ahibby
02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
I find myself of being in the rather unusual position of being absoutely speachless.

1) Someone with sufficient funds to buy the club outright. I am unclear of where the "club" ends and the "holding company" starts but for the purposes of discussion, we'll just work on the assumption we want someone to have ownership and sufficient shares to control both...that would include assets such as Easter Road Stadium and East Mains. So, we can safely assume that the land itself, putting aside all else will stop all talk of Hibs being worth £2-£3m?

2) Someone who accept, and have the means to service our current debts and liabilties and in addition, someone who could quickly dig us out any future situations that may necessitate it i.e. "put in money". NB topical point of discussion "the rangers" and their need for a share issue i.e. money to keep afloat....

3) In addition, this someone must also be willing to/have the means to "invest in the team" (otherwise points 1 and 2 above are covered by Tom Farmer)...so, to be fair - we're looking for someone to put cash in to help us speculate to accumulate at best or to take a punt on some fitba players and let us hope they dont get broken legs and get a return of investment.

4) Finally, the individual needs to be trustworthy, intelligent, worldly, smart, sufficiently minted to purchase the above and keep it all ticking over and (lets be honest) not be looking to make anything from said "investment".

Sorted.

I'm gonna go find this punter now, whilst hunting down Lord Lucan and Shergar...:aok:

NB - I'd be delighted if we got rid of Petrie. I wouldn't be sad if Tom Farmer sold Hibs....but ONLY to someone who has the same or more cash, who doesn't have an alternative agenda and ideally someone who would actually improve over what we have. Otherwise, what is the point?

Well said that man!

Golden Bear
02-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Sorted.

Elementary really.

:cb

ahibby
Little thought has gone in to this at all, as you'll see, but what if STF kept the stadium and East Mains, and the team was sold to a supporters group who receive all income and pay rent for the stadium and East Mains? I'll be the treasurer:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls

Sorted.

I will check the grounds of the Royal Ed. Anybody prepared to try the pubs in Great Junction Street? It's bound to narrow the search down.

NAE NOOKIE
02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Anybody who has a Wikipedia account has the opportunity to update a page.

STFs Wiki page mentions his ownership of Hibs and also that he does not have an interest in football. I have tried but failed to create an account. What I was going to add was:

Unlike his other businesses Hibernian under Farmer's ownership, though reasonably well run off the field, has performed extremely poorly on the field, in recent years suffering some of the most humiliating results in the clubs history, culminating in relegation from the top division of Scottish football at the end of the 13 / 14 season. The club has been relegated only three times in its 139 year history, two of these since Farmer became owner.

Though affection for Sir Tom Farmer remains strong amongst the Hibernian support for his pivotal role in saving the club, in recent times there has been a growing sense on the terraces at Easter Road that as owner of the club his refusal to take any part in its day to day running ( instead delegating this to his associate, accountant Rod Petrie ) has lead to an ingrained and deep rooted apathy within the club, and in many supporters eyes ambivalence towards its on field failure. Farmer's ongoing refusal to make any comment relating to the clubs decline or its future has angered many supporters, with accusations made that they are being disrespected and ignored by him.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Anybody who has a Wikipedia account has the opportunity to update a page.

STFs Wiki page mentions his ownership of Hibs and also that he does not have an interest in football. I have tried but failed to create an account. What I was going to add was:

Unlike his other businesses Hibernian under Farmer's ownership, though reasonably well run off the field, has performed extremely poorly on the field, in recent years suffering some of the most humiliating results in the clubs history, culminating in relegation from the top division of Scottish football at the end of the 13 / 14 season. The club has been relegated only three times in its 139 year history, two of these since Farmer became owner.

Though affection for Sir Tom Farmer remains strong amongst the Hibernian support for his pivotal role in saving the club, in recent times there has been a growing sense on the terraces at Easter Road that as owner of the club his refusal to take any part in its day to day running ( instead delegating this to his associate, accountant Rod Petrie ) has lead to an ingrained and deep rooted apathy within the club, and in many supporters eyes ambivalence towards its on field failure. Farmer's ongoing refusal to make any comment relating to the clubs decline or its future has angered many supporters, with accusations made that they are being disrespected and ignored by him.

Not in my name.

Big Frank
03-09-2014, 10:47 AM
I will check the grounds of the Royal Ed. Anybody prepared to try the pubs in Great Junction Street? It's bound to narrow the search down.

:faf:

On fire Boaby!

03-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Will be forever grateful to Farmer for the way he stepped in and saved this club from the clutches of Mercer. Without him we may have lost our club altogether. However, he is doing nothing to help take the club forward and out of the mess we are in. Time to step aside and hand over to someone or some group that has far more drive and desire to invest and take this club forward and back to where we should be.

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Not in my name.

What part of it was inaccurate?

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 11:01 AM
What part of it was inaccurate?

You want to go playing games with real people's lives, go ahead. I just wanted to say I'm not in favour of those tactics.

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 04:19 PM
You want to go playing games with real people's lives, go ahead. I just wanted to say I'm not in favour of those tactics.

I don't see it as playing games BS ...... I would never consider putting something on Wiki which was untrue or defamatory in nature. I have at no time said that STF was deliberately neglecting Hibs. What I said was in the opinion of some ( not all ) fans his way of running the club in relation to its lack of success on the pitch was seen as neglect and his ongoing refusal to directly engage with the clubs supporters was increasingly viewed by some as disrespectful ....... or worse dismissive of them.

I pay £405 a year for a season ticket and more than that on petrol and Hibs related merchandise. In the 20 odd years STF has owned Hibs my expenditure on the club runs into thousands of pounds ...... more than some considerably less than many. If you remove the emotional side and looked at this as if we were talking about Kwik Fit would it be unreasonable to comment in a negative way if my customer experience was bad.

The money we spend as supporters is very real. That makes our right to expect the owner to explain why the product we are paying for has been sub standard for so long and what he intends to do about it legitimate and far from unreasonable. If the owner refuses to show me the minimum of respect due to a customer of his business then other avenues of making him man up must be explored.

My life is every bit as real as Tom Farmer's and the big part of it I devote to Hibs both emotionally and financially deserves more respect than dumb silence.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't see it as playing games BS ...... I would never consider putting something on Wiki which was untrue or defamatory in nature. I have at no time said that STF was deliberately neglecting Hibs. What I said was in the opinion of some ( not all ) fans his way of running the club in relation to its lack of success on the pitch was seen as neglect and his ongoing refusal to directly engage with the clubs supporters was increasingly viewed by some as disrespectful ....... or worse dismissive of them.

I pay £405 a year for a season ticket and more than that on petrol and Hibs related merchandise. In the 20 odd years STF has owned Hibs my expenditure on the club runs into thousands of pounds ...... more than some considerably less than many. If you remove the emotional side and looked at this as if we were talking about Kwik Fit would it be unreasonable to comment in a negative way if my customer experience was bad.

The money we spend as supporters is very real. That makes our right to expect the owner to explain why the product we are paying for has been sub standard for so long and what he intends to do about it legitimate and far from unreasonable. If the owner refuses to show me the minimum of respect due to a customer of his business then other avenues of making him man up must be explored.

My life is every bit as real as Tom Farmer's and the big part of it I devote to Hibs both emotionally and financially deserves more respect than dumb silence.

You have no rights at all other than to withhold your admission money. Fair enough it's an emotional thing for you, but you typify this modern idea that the customer can do whatever they want.

I think changing his Wikipaedia page is silly, and is something he'll laugh off. It's your business though, I just wanted it on record that not every Hibs fan sees targeting Tom Farner personally as a legitimate tactic.

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Get over yourself. You have no rights at all other than to withhold your admission money. Fair enough it's an emotional thing for you, but you typify this modern idea that the customer can do whatever they want.

I think changing his Wikipaedia page is silly, and is something he'll laugh off. It's your business though, I just wanted it on record that not every Hibs fan sees targeting Tom Farner personally as a legitimate tactic.

Calling putting into print the failings of Hibs under his tenure on his Wiki page a personal attack is no more true than calling the umpteen paragraphs before the Hibs bit on Wiki lauding his business acumen and philanthropy kissing his arse.

You are right about the customer bit ........ mind you any football club which treats its supporters as mere customers is storing up a world of trouble.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Calling putting into print the failings of Hibs under his tenure on his Wiki page a personal attack is no more true than calling the umpteen paragraphs before the Hibs bit on Wiki lauding his business acumen and philanthropy kissing his arse.

You are right about the customer bit ........ mind you any football club which treats its supporters as mere customers is storing up a world of trouble.

Good points. :aok:

Hibs have definitely stored up trouble.

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Good points. :aok:

Hibs have definitely stored up trouble.

How dare you .... its this sort of post that makes me really, really ang .......

Oh

Wait a minute

That's reasonable

Peace Bob ......... :hug:

HibeeMassive
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Playing devils advocate here - Jamie Marwick stated quite clearly last night that Farmer has, and still is, been putting his hand in his pocket to help us out over recent years. He was quite agitated at the suggestion Farmer doesn't care and hasn't been putting anything in.

Does make you wonder how much, and in what form, those funds have totalled over the last 2/3 years.

Is he putting in more than we know, but just not interested in the acclaim for doing so?

In the same token, I'm waiting patiently to see what evidence comes out that he's been milking the club from our social commentator... Could be about to hit the fan!

Weir7
03-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Playing devils advocate here - Jamie Marwick stated quite clearly last night that Farmer has, and still is, been putting his hand in his pocket to help us out over recent years. He was quite agitated at the suggestion Farmer doesn't care and hasn't been putting anything in.

Does make you wonder how much, and in what form, those funds have totalled over the last 2/3 years.

Is he putting in more than we know, but just not interested in the acclaim for doing so?

In the same token, I'm waiting patiently to see what evidence comes out that he's been milking the club from our social commentator... Could be about to hit the fan!

Putting money into his own company to keep it solvent and charging interest

Weir7
03-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Question that needs asked is a why he needs to do this. Does he need more than 100 rod petries to help run the club. So farmer doesn't have to bail the conduit out

Islington Hibs
03-09-2014, 06:19 PM
It seems SFT has quietly acted as banker for Hibs. Sure he has not gone and signed Ronaldo, but why should he? Perhaps too distant, but until we find someone who is a genuine Hibby who has deep pockets and provides long term backing better the devil we know. I genuinely think LD has been given a remit to look at new shareholding structures which provide stability and supporter input.

That said Petrie has absolutely overstayed his welcome and is probably beyond redemption in most supporters eyes (mine included). He clearly has the hide of a rhinoceros, or is it the brains of one?

grunt
03-09-2014, 06:53 PM
This is crazy. STF is a benevolent owner who provides additional funding when we need it and doesn't interfere with the football side of things.
What do people want, someone like Romanov? Where will we find another owner as supportive as STF? It's not STF's fault that we've underperformed on the pitch. And all this talk of fan ownership - if we could demonstrate the sort of support that FOH have provided to Hearts then I'd maybe believe that fan ownership could happen here. But instead all we've had is people refusing to renew their season tickets.

jacomo
03-09-2014, 08:39 PM
This is crazy. STF is a benevolent owner who provides additional funding when we need it and doesn't interfere with the football side of things.
What do people want, someone like Romanov? Where will we find another owner as supportive as STF? It's not STF's fault that we've underperformed on the pitch. And all this talk of fan ownership - if we could demonstrate the sort of support that FOH have provided to Hearts then I'd maybe believe that fan ownership could happen here. But instead all we've had is people refusing to renew their season tickets.

In general I agree with you. If we woke up tomorrow to the news that STF had sold the club I would be worried, not celebrating.

3 months ago hardly anyone was asking for him to go. The problem is that dissatisfaction is becoming contagious because fans aren't seeing the change they've been promised. All they are seeing is yet more disappointment.

This club exasperates me, it really does. Why can't the people in charge see what is staring them in the face? Why don't they listen to the answer when they ask the fans what's wrong?

I thought and hope that LD is the answer, but new websites and supporter consultations won't mean a thing until the team's performance improves on a consistent basis.

basehibby
03-09-2014, 09:09 PM

:agree: and Farmer autocare a damn sight more about Hibs !

...we are all tyred and exhausted at his utter apathy :rolleyes:

Gustavo Fring
03-09-2014, 09:09 PM

weve had the 5th highest uptake of season tickets in the country

last season the 4th highest in the country

so we should effectively have the 4th/5th biggest budget and squad in the country

yet we are at the bottom of the 1st division , struggling against part timers and being totally blown away by hearts

weve tried sacking the manager repeatedly , nothing changes except the pay-off bill is getting bigger

that would suggest that the owner is failing miserably , he doesnt care about hibs and its running right down the whole organisation

Eyrie
03-09-2014, 09:52 PM
weve had the 5th highest uptake of season tickets in the country

last season the 4th highest in the country

so we should effectively have the 4th/5th biggest budget and squad in the country

yet we are at the bottom of the 1st division , struggling against part timers and being totally blown away by hearts

weve tried sacking the manager repeatedly , nothing changes except the pay-off bill is getting bigger

that would suggest that the owner is failing miserably , he doesnt care about hibs and its running right down the whole organisation

The only thing I'd hold Farmer responsible for is being too loyal to his beloved conduit (three letters too many) who has repeatedly proved inept at appointing decent managers.

I'm not averse to Farmer selling up, but I'd want to know who the buyer is before supporting such a move.

Hibs7
04-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Common sense at last.... I think people forget where we would be ( non existent ) without Tom Farmer !

Onion
04-09-2014, 06:10 AM

Few years ago you'd find few disagreeing. But there's much, much more to company/football club ownership than providing a little financial support. As the owner, STF is the ONLY person to whom the Hibs Board is accountable. Through the appointment of his Board, STF approves the benchmarks and targets for the company and, whether he wants to or not, he agrees the standards for the football club. He cannot be "hands off" and defer everything to the Board. If that's what he's doing, it's little wonder the mess we're in. It's akin to the headmaster allowing a group of 5 year olds to run amuck without consequence. At some stage, someone has to say STOP !

No, we don't want a Vlad. He was a madman. But he did set goals, vision and standards for the whole club and, where these were not met, he took decisive action as many of his Directors know. There is a whole spectrum of alternative owners/structures between STF and Vlad which may be far better for Hibs than what we've got, but the people who matter don't seem to be listening or caring !

bingo70
04-09-2014, 06:17 AM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/football/mystery-third-party-seeks-easter-road-buyout.25231714

Iain G
04-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Sounds like he was having a joke there maybe?!

IanM
04-09-2014, 06:33 AM
The mystery potential buyer is thought to be amenable to brokering a deal that would give Farmer and Petrie money or shares for their agreement to sell the club. However, Low was last night clear on two points. He said: "First, there is a myth that Hibs are a club that has performed well financially. That does not survive scrutiny and I would not be prepared to reward under-achievement. All money should go into efforts to help the club move forward.

"Second, I would consider increasing the offer for the club but only if I was assured of the unambiguous support of the fans. They are crucial to any strategy for the club." "

If Low has told STF he's underachieved with Hibs and they aren't a well financed club, he shouldn't be surprised the talks went no further! Interesting points tho

Iain G
04-09-2014, 07:08 AM
The mystery potential buyer is thought to be amenable to brokering a deal that would give Farmer and Petrie money or shares for their agreement to sell the club. However, Low was last night clear on two points. He said: "First, there is a myth that Hibs are a club that has performed well financially. That does not survive scrutiny and I would not be prepared to reward under-achievement. All money should go into efforts to help the club move forward.

"Second, I would consider increasing the offer for the club but only if I was assured of the unambiguous support of the fans. They are crucial to any strategy for the club." "

If Low has told STF he's underachieved with Hibs and they aren't a well financed club, he shouldn't be surprised the talks went no further! Interesting points tho

This Low bloke seems to have a particularly high opinion of himself! Like Rod Petrie on a motorbike ;-)

NatureBoy
04-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Sounds like he was having a joke there maybe?!

It was possibly said in a jovial manor but there was definitely a fair bit of truth in it. If you asked Stubbs privately if he was happy with his summer signings, I can't see him being over the moon.

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Because nobody knows what Tom Farmer thinks it leaves him open to criticism. Hibs must be the only club in the world where the owner expects to remain immune from the fall out when things go tits up. Football just doesn't work like that.

It gets really tiresome when folk cite Romanov. For every Romanov there are a hundred Eddie Thompsons.

Comparing Hibs current situation to the FOH scenario is Apples and Oranges. The situations are entirely different, FOH was a last throw of the Gorgie dice. If the situation had been the same at Hibs we would have stepped up to the plate exactly the same way the Yams have.

Beefster
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
"Second, I would consider increasing the offer for the club but only if I was assured of the unambiguous support of the fans."

Ah well.

Next...

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
looks like STF has lasted longer than Gustavo Fring :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 01:20 PM
It was possibly said in a jovial manor but there was definitely a fair bit of truth in it. If you asked Stubbs privately if he was happy with his summer signings, I can't see him being over the moon.

So he said it like a joke, but it wasn't a joke. How do you know it wasn't a joke, did you ask him?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Because nobody knows what Tom Farmer thinks it leaves him open to criticism. Hibs must be the only club in the world where the owner expects to remain immune from the fall out when things go tits up. Football just doesn't work like that.

It gets really tiresome when folk cite Romanov. For every Romanov there are a hundred Eddie Thompsons.

Comparing Hibs current situation to the FOH scenario is Apples and Oranges. The situations are entirely different, FOH was a last throw of the Gorgie dice. If the situation had been the same at Hibs we would have stepped up to the plate exactly the same way the Yams have.

Except there isn't really. On a totally unscientific basis I'd say the megalomaniac semi-criminals outweigh the good guys four to one.

What chance would a bloke like Geoff Brown, or Eddie Thomson have at the likes of Hibs?

Caversham Green
04-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Except there isn't really. On a totally unscientific basis I'd say the megalomaniac semi-criminals outweigh the good guys four to one.

What chance would a bloke like Geoff Brown, or Eddie Thomson have at the likes of Hibs?

Well Eddie was an accountant so he's a non-starter - they know nothing about football apparently.

Geoff's a builder I believe - not sure where they stand in the football club running stakes, but the Aberdeen boy is as well and they've been brilliant for centuries.

calder45a
04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
:agree: and Farmer autocare a damn sight more about Hibs !

...we are all tyred and exhausted at his utter apathy :rolleyes:

Anyway you are going off the tread.
Sir Tom has not been given Hibs a good service and the bright sparks in charge need replacing.

Keith_M
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Gustavo Fring must go!

Too late, looks like he's already gone.

As he appears to have just been on one long Trolling Trip, maybe we should just delete this stupid thread as well

:dunno:

Kato
04-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Still the point stands. The choice between TF and someone else isn't always going to mean that that someone else will be like VR. Someone polarising the choices like isn't making a point normally, they're just trying to ridicule the idea that someone else is viable and might actually take the club forward.

Crazyhorse
04-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Still the point stands. The choice between TF and someone else isn't always going to mean that that someone else will be like VR. Someone polarising the choices like isn't making a point normally, they're just trying to ridicule the idea that someone else is viable and might actually take the club forward.

Precisely just tired old rhetorical tricks of hyperbole and false analogy. You might as well say the choice is between a Jack Walker and a TF.

Crazyhorse
04-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Common sense at last.... I think people forget where we would be ( non existent ) without Tom Farmer !

No one has ever denigrated TF's contribution a generation ago. The idea that Hibs would not exist without him is nonsense I reckon. We might have suffered a lot but we would have survived.

Kato
04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
No one has ever denigrated TF's contribution a generation ago. The idea that Hibs would not exist without him is nonsense I reckon. We might have suffered a lot but we would have survived.

That problem was one of the lowest ebbs ever for Hibs off the park and TF addressed it marvelously.

Now we're at our lowest ebb ever on the park and that has to be addressed as well, otherwise his actions in 1990 are worthless.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 04:54 PM

Youre right, but we should be vigilant for Romanovs. There must be someone out there who can deliver a plan, and not have us all worried where it will end.

Kato
04-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Youre right, but we should be vigilant for Romanovs.

Without doubt.

emerald green
04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Apologies if this has been said already, but would it not be possible for Sir Tom Farmer to make a public statement setting out his views on the current state of the club.

In addition, his statement should make clear, as far as possible, what his intention is as far as the future of the club is concerned, and what does he see as being the club's strategy in both the short and long term?

I just think some clarity is needed from the person who owns the club. Is this really too much to ask or expect?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Apologies if this has been said already, but would it not be possible for Sir Tom Farmer to make a public statement setting out his views on the current state of the club.

In addition, his statement should make clear, as far as possible, what his intention is as far as the future of the club is concerned, and what does he see as being the club's strategy in both the short and long term?

I just think some clarity is needed from the person who owns the club. Is this really too much to ask or expect?

Seems reasonable to me.

ancient hibee
04-09-2014, 06:09 PM

As far as club ownership is concerned he has said often enough that he will consider offers from anyone he thinks is able to ensure the future of the club.

emerald green
04-09-2014, 09:07 PM
As far as club ownership is concerned he has said often enough that he will consider offers from anyone he thinks is able to ensure the future of the club.

Sure, I'm aware of and understand that.

Maybe my post wasn't too well worded, but what I'm driving at is that STF might agree to make a more wide ranging statement setting out his thoughts about the position the club finds itself in, and how he sees both immediate and longer term strategy at the club. The statement should not be only about future ownership of the club, as important as that is of course.

Sir Tom has been accused of being disinterested in the club. Maybe that's true. Maybe it's not. I don't know, because I don't know STF. I've never spoken to the man. Perhaps it would give some clarity? It's just my thoughts. I've got no agenda. I just want what's best for my club, as do we all.

The Green Goblin
04-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Doesn't that contradict LeithMo's detailed account of what was said in the meeting the other night? I'm on my phone just now, so I can't dig around and find the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure that LD stated that STF had told her that he wasn't looking to sell the club. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

oregonhibby
05-09-2014, 05:49 AM
Doesn't that contradict LeithMo's detailed account of what was said in the meeting the other night? I'm on my phone just now, so I can't dig around and find the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure that LD stated that STF had told her that he wasn't looking to sell the club. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

I think what was meant was that he is not actively looking to sell the Club, however, if someone came along with the financial strength and the ability to ensure the Club was safeguarded for the future he would consider a sale. Paramount is the security not necessarily the price. What was clear on Tuesday is that STF is the bank of last resort and provides the working capital when things get tight, generally towards the end of the season. That probably means that whoever is likely to succeed in taking the Club over must also have that financial clout or access to funds to ensure the Club doesn't get in to financial difficulties. As to the ownership model, I think he is open minded and is happy to explore the various possibilities. LD has a free hand to explore those options and has a plan that includes supporter involvement. I think she too is open minded given her experience and is exploring the real examples out there as well as asking supporters what they think during the first three days of this week, through an online survey and from the Supporters Direct survey, which she encouraged supporters to complete.

Change that sticks requires thought and planning and, unfortunately, doesn't happen overnight. Whilst doing the thinking, the planning and the consulting she seems to have also been dealing with a Club in turmoil.

Haven spoken to her I am convinced and heartened by her vision and determination. I personally believe there is a great opportunity to make the changes needed to sort out the Club, have greater supporter involvement and provide a culture and structure for the team to flourish.

Just my view.

NatureBoy
05-09-2014, 07:33 AM
So he said it like a joke, but it wasn't a joke. How do you know it wasn't a joke, did you ask him?

I don't know, possibly going by the fact our signing selections have been nothing short of pitiful. If you think Stubbs has his number one targets, that's fine your entitled to you opinion. I am of the personal view that Rod is still in control and putting a block on the signings hence the panic loan moves of young kids.

I was reading between the lines, I have no concrete proof of what goes on behind closed doors. I'm going by past evidence and the fact we're currently third bottom of the Championship. Sorry the current state of the club makes me cynical. When Rod is around going by past evidence I don't think I'm making a huge leap in assuming the worst.

Kato
05-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I don't know, possibly going by the fact our signing selections have been nothing short of pitiful.

Is that a fact?

NatureBoy
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Is that a fact?

Yes. Unless we get promoted first time of asking, I'll consider the signing policy a failure, at the moment it's looking highly dubious we'll even make the playoffs.

If we come up I'll be delighted and the first to admit I was wrong.

ColintonHibs
05-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I thought he sold kwik fit for a billion? Surely investing 10 million in the team is pennies to him

Kato
05-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Yes. Unless we get promoted first time of asking, I'll consider the signing policy a failure, at the moment it's looking highly dubious we'll even make the playoffs.

If we come up I'll be delighted and the first to admit I was wrong.

OK man, but that's a bit different from "signing selections".

Beefster
05-09-2014, 08:17 AM
I thought he sold kwik fit for a billion? Surely investing 10 million in the team is pennies to him

I think Ford paid just under a billion but STF didn't get anywhere near that IIRC.

NatureBoy
05-09-2014, 08:23 AM
OK man, but that's a bit different from "signing selections".

I could have worded it better maybe signing policy. The guys that have came in appear to be an improvement. Personally I would have like to see a bit proven SPL quality in there. Hearts done it with Gomis and Buaben and they're sitting pretty at the moment.

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2014, 08:24 AM
I don't know, possibly going by the fact our signing selections have been nothing short of pitiful. If you think Stubbs has his number one targets, that's fine your entitled to you opinion. I am of the personal view that Rod is still in control and putting a block on the signings hence the panic loan moves of young kids.

I was reading between the lines, I have no concrete proof of what goes on behind closed doors. I'm going by past evidence and the fact we're currently third bottom of the Championship. Sorry the current state of the club makes me cynical. When Rod is around going by past evidence I don't think I'm making a huge leap in assuming the worst.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with your instincts, and I think they are a reasonable interpretation of what we know.

greenginger
05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I think Ford paid just under a billion but STF didn't get anywhere near that IIRC.

STF got in the region of £ 90 million IIRC. Other shareholders got the rest.

He has invested the proceeds ( some of it none too wisely ) and given a lot to charities.

He sure ain't going to bung £ 10 million Hibs way.

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2014, 08:29 AM

I heard it was a squillion, a bloke in the pub told me.

Seriously, it's none of our business how much Farmer is worth. He made a fair deal with the fans, and we should keep our side of the bargain. Namely, if we can come up with a solution that is in the clubs interests (long term, and short term) then he will sell.

I am getting fed up with the way Farmer is being painted as some sinister figure who is trying to screw Hibs. At the same time, plenty on here seem happy to accept people who aren't at Farmers level.

smurf
05-09-2014, 08:38 AM
His silence is remarkable.

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
His silence is remarkable.

Yes, given the up front, hands on approach he's taken up until now, it's remarkable he isn't as talkative as usual, er......

Weststandwanab
05-09-2014, 09:26 AM

That was the gross sum for all shares.

STF's free proceeds - after Capital Gain Tax etc - was about £80m I understand

The Green Goblin
05-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I think what was meant was that he is not actively looking to sell the Club, however, if someone came along with the financial strength and the ability to ensure the Club was safeguarded for the future he would consider a sale. Paramount is the security not necessarily the price. What was clear on Tuesday is that STF is the bank of last resort and provides the working capital when things get tight, generally towards the end of the season. That probably means that whoever is likely to succeed in taking the Club over must also have that financial clout or access to funds to ensure the Club doesn't get in to financial difficulties. As to the ownership model, I think he is open minded and is happy to explore the various possibilities. LD has a free hand to explore those options and has a plan that includes supporter involvement. I think she too is open minded given her experience and is exploring the real examples out there as well as asking supporters what they think during the first three days of this week, through an online survey and from the Supporters Direct survey, which she encouraged supporters to complete.

Change that sticks requires thought and planning and, unfortunately, doesn't happen overnight. Whilst doing the thinking, the planning and the consulting she seems to have also been dealing with a Club in turmoil.

Haven spoken to her I am convinced and heartened by her vision and determination. I personally believe there is a great opportunity to make the changes needed to sort out the Club, have greater supporter involvement and provide a culture and structure for the team to flourish.

Just my view.

Thanks for the detailed reply OH. Cheers

Bad Martini
05-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Still waiting on someone with the required capital (and ability and/or willingness to take a chance of NEVER recovering their "investment") to step forward and check-mate Tom Farmer...where is the mythical investor with money to burn???

Until we see such a punter who offers to do what we'd all dearly love in terms of players and such like, with nothing in it for them, how can we be any better of with a different owner??

Genuine unloaded question.

Doesn't matter what we want and how pissed of we get, unless someone can offer us that, they offer us no more (and probably less with more uncertainty) than what we have just now.

jacomo
05-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Both statements have been correct in the past. STF was not actively looking to sell and the club was not being offered for sale - but if someone approached him with a reasonable offer that would safeguard the club, he would listen. Not necessarily contradictions.

Reading between the lines, however, it does seem as if a plan is now underway to transfer some or all of STF's shares into some form of community-owned entity.

franck sauzee
05-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I heard it was a squillion, a bloke in the pub told me.

Seriously, it's none of our business how much Farmer is worth. He made a fair deal with the fans, and we should keep our side of the bargain. Namely, if we can come up with a solution that is in the clubs interests (long term, and short term) then he will sell.

I am getting fed up with the way Farmer is being painted as some sinister figure who is trying to screw Hibs. At the same time, plenty on here seem happy to accept people who aren't at Farmers level.

Bang on the money! Why some people (hopefully a minority) want rid of Farmer is beyond me. We're lucky to have him!