PDA

View Full Version : Reality check required

Hibbyradge
01-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Which good quality, experienced players want to play in the Scottish second division?

Apart, maybe, from Leigh Griffiths who will still be paid by Celtc.

It was hard enough recruiting players when we were in the Premiership. This year will be much worse.

flash
01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Which good quality, experienced players want to play in the Scottish second division?

It was hard enough recruiting players when we were in the Premiership. This year will be much worse.

You are right but good luck with that opinion on hysteria.net.

Judas Iscariot
01-09-2014, 05:12 PM
The board think it's acceptable for the fans to pay above average Premiership ticket prices so in turn we should expect players of that standard

Bobby's Cinema
01-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I do know what you're saying. But Bauben, Gomis, Alexander. Why not again?

We've been made to think this way, that's the sad thing.

Barman Stanton
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Money talks, which is why players were happy to sign for The Rangers in the 3rd Div. If we offered a player bigger wages than a Premier team chances are they would sign for us. We should certainly have enough budget to get in more than the 3 permanent players we have signed so far.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Premiership prices. What was the excuse last season?

Spike Mandela

Bauben, Gomis, Miller and Boyd spring to mind:cb

easty
If the money is right the players will come.

Pete
01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
The board think it's acceptable for the fans to pay above average Premiership ticket prices so in turn we should expect players of that standard

That's a good point.

Pretty Boy
01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Farid El Alagui, Neil Alexander, Moraro Gomis, Prince Buaben, Jamie MacDonald, David Robertson.....

marinello59

That's the bottom line.

blackpoolhibs
That's a good point.

Dont be silly, that's just hysteria at its worst. :wink:

Scottie
01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Excellent point but means **** all to the money men who balance the books at our club :agree:

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 05:22 PM
That's the bottom line.

I can't believe we have spent all the season ticket money?:confused:

Hibbyradge
01-09-2014, 05:23 PM
We don't have any money.

The Rangers are about to go to the wall again and Hearts have dumped all their debt on their creditors and the taxpayer.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-09-2014, 05:25 PM
You are right but good luck with that opinion on hysteria.net.

Just how bad does it have to get before folk stop coming out with this pish? IIRC we've already lost the same number of league games before the end of August as we did throughout the entire season the last time we were in this division.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2014, 05:30 PM
We don't have any money.

The Rangers are about to go to the wall again and Hearts have dumped all their debt on their creditors and the taxpayer.

Ok so reality kicks in, the team is poor, we don't have any money, no investment and no big signing will be made.

How on earth will we increase or even maintain our crowds with that realistic outlook?

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Farid El Alagui, Neil Alexander, Moraro Gomis, Prince Buaben, Jamie MacDonald, David Robertson.....

Jon Daly, dean Shiels, Lee Wallace

Quite a few as it turns out. As the boy above said we've been made to believe that we can't attract players.

Maybe hearts signed them all up and there's none left now?

Hibbyradge
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Ok so reality kicks in, the team is poor, we don't have any money, no investment and no big signing will be made.

How on earth will we increase or even maintain our crowds with that realistic outlook?

How will an unrealistic outlook help? :confused:

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Last time we got relegated we had sauzee and latapy. They never even had super duper training facilities or a shiny new stadium. We used to pay them and they will come then Petrie seen field of dreams and he has had build it and they will come etched in his mind. Maybe he is seeing dead people playing silky football and not the ***** we see every week!

carnoustiehibee
01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Just how bad does it have to get before folk stop coming out with this pish? IIRC we've already lost the same number of league games before the end of August as we did throughout the entire season the last time we were in this division.

It's confusing to me also, I'm starting to think a few on here are paid by hibs to keep trotting out the positivity bull****.trying to make rubbish jokes on the situation and shooting down anyone who is concerned where hibs are heading

Winds of change Petrie screamed
Your not a proper hibs fans unless you cough up £400 on a season ticket people said on here.

Hibbyradge
01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Jon Daly, dean Shiels, Lee Wallace

Quite a few as it turns out. As the boy above said we've been made to believe that we can't attract players.

Maybe hearts signed them all up and there's none left now?

Rangers have paid fortunes for these players. They've got the begging bowl out again and they could well go into administration again.

I don't want Hibs to go down that road.

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Rangers have paid fortunes for these players. They've got the begging bowl out again and they could well go into administration again.

Are we back to that line of chat again? I don't either but I'd quite like to sign someone. If we don't we'll have to worry about our part time budget.

Pretty Boy
01-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe if the financial situation is perilous it's about time the club came out and told us rather than telling us we are aiming to win the league.

Our squad as it stand is very likely to be down here for 2 seasons at least imo. I've seen nothing so far, having been to every game except Dumbarton, to suggest we have the quality to get promoted. Certainly nothing that only required 2 signings.

If the club told us the situation maybe we could help because next year it's only going to be worse with even less STs sold, a smaller parachute payment and dwindling crowds.

Steve20
01-09-2014, 05:42 PM
As has already been pointed out, if we had no intention of putting together a team capable of winning this league then it's not right that we were charged Premier League prices for this season.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2014, 05:42 PM
How will an unrealistic outlook help? :confused:

Depends what you consider unrealistic. I find it unrealistic to imagine we would sign million pound players, Internationals or even Scottish Premiership players who's career is on the up.

What I didn't imagine to be unrealistic was the notion our new management team and Chief exec would put together a squad strong enough to challenge for the title and to have a few players the envy of our rivals Hearts and Rangers. They said they would and sold us Premiership price season tickets with this justification.

To have failed so miserably in this regard brings us to the new reality of a team on a downward spiral.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Rangers filled their squad with over paid players, paying more than they are worth. I don't think anyone is saying every players need to be amazing and cost the earth. 1 or 2 is what is required to allow a rebuilding process to begin properly around these players. What hibs have been doing is supplementing an average squad with average loans. When we eventually get a good loan we get one good season and it's back to square one.

hearts have debts, they will be paying all their bills now under budge so they will be about on par with us in terms of budgets available. A mid table finish in the top division is acceptable, a mid season finish in the championship is a disaster. Now is not the time to play it safe, now is the time to make sure we get back to where we belong.

Green Cabbage 7
01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
What players want to come to our club, when the clubs ambition always seem to be with caution, winners will never join our club as long as we continue to have second rate ambition!

steakbake
01-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Could I suggest that at least one of the training centre or the new east stand were a tad premature?

BroxburnHibee
01-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Don't buy it D. Money talks

if money is that tight then it's time to mothball the training centre.

The fans were asked to show faith and keep paying out which they did yet again.

Sadly it looks like Petrie has played a blinder

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Could I suggest that at least one of the training centre or the new east stand were a tad premature?

Can i suggest that having Premiership facilities, and i mean English Premiership facilities might be costing us more than we can realistically afford?

Also our management team have come to us from Premiership and championship clubs. And living in Edinburgh is not cheap, plus they would all have been earning very good wages compared to Scottish football earnings.

Is our money available for new players been largely eaten up by paying our new management team, something that might be asked tonight at the meeting with the club?

Ozyhibby
01-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't think it unrealistic to expect us to be higher than 20th in Scottish football with the 4th highest attendances.
Maybe people need to stop making up excuses for the failures running our club.

steakbake
01-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Also this.

Big ticket items off the field. I get the need for better infrastructure but...

brog
01-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Can i suggest that having Premiership facilities, and i mean English Premiership facilities might be costing us more than we can realistically afford?

Also our management team have come to us from Premiership and championship clubs. And living in Edinburgh is not cheap, plus they would all have been earning very good wages compared to Scottish football earnings.

Is our money available for new players been largely eaten up by paying our new management team, something that might be asked tonight at the meeting with the club?

I know that at least one of our management team took a pay cut to come to ER. I also know our maintenance costs for ER are cheaper now than when we were continually patching up the old stand & the East terrace/stand. I can understand & share your frustration but I don't think our finances are struggling because of the above. I think continual pay offs to failed management teams is a major source of cash shortage.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
I know that at least one of our management team took a pay cut to come to ER. I also know our maintenance costs for ER are cheaper now than when we were continually patching up the old stand & the East terrace/stand. I can understand & share your frustration but I don't think our finances are struggling because of the above. I think continual pay offs to failed management teams is a major source of cash shortage.

Cheers, i'm just struggling to understand where the money is going this season? :aok:

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 07:43 PM

East mains must be a big drain, don't forget the mortgage payments on the stand as well. East mains looks massive, probably too big for what we need.

our current wage bill for the playing staff must be the lowest in years, I don't think our income will be down dramatically this season either. The money is going somewhere but it ain't the playing staff.

one of the management team taking a pay cut to come here doesn't mean that we are paying pennies for them

ronaldo7
01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Cheers, i'm just struggling to understand where the money is going this season? :aok:

I don't believe for a minute that the cash from seasons has all gone.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Me neither Ronnie.

BT58
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Maybe their saving it for more quality signings in January
oh wait a minute you cant get quality in January

Just Alf
01-09-2014, 08:03 PM

:agree:

Not had the chance to read the rest of the thread so don't know if there has been replies, but I do know that for the 1st few years we had laddies from Newcastle etc up at east mains to have "world class" training & use of the facilities.... It was a fantastic opportunity for us to get access to up and coming players ( even loans! :-/ )

Where did we go wrong :-(

Gatecrasher
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
We just got our ass handed to us by a bunch of part timers, too much reality for me,

Just Alf
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM

You ain't wrong :-(

ronaldo7
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM

They should have been working 24/7 to get in the quality they talked about for this window. Not good enough for me, unless they can pull out something extraordinary in the next couple of hours.

silverhibee
01-09-2014, 08:31 PM

In a nutshell.

steakbake
01-09-2014, 08:40 PM
:agree:

Not had the chance to read the rest of the thread so don't know if there has been replies, but I do know that for the 1st few years we had laddies from Newcastle etc up at east mains to have "world class" training & use of the facilities.... It was a fantastic opportunity for us to get access to up and coming players ( even loans! :-/ )

Where did we go wrong :-(

Indeed - what do we actually have to show for it? Nice link ups, lots of name checking our facilities in the media, but is it training people to stick the ball in the onion bag?

I don't know, just an opinion that for all the amazing facilities, we've nothing on the park.

brog
01-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Here's the proper reality check. Unless Celtc have paid cash for the Serbian guy then not one penny has been spent by Scottish clubs this transfer window. Every other deal is a loan or a free transfer! I honestly believe that with the possible exception of Alexander, our transfers this window are at least as good if not better than Yams. It's all about confidence & desire & it's now up to AS etc to get our squad functioning professionally.

Cropley10
01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Quite right OP. Lots of inexperienced teenagers please. Stockholm syndrome kicking in here. Jeezo.

Cropley10
01-09-2014, 09:35 PM

How do ICT manage it then??

So, so binary. Spend money = go bust. Live sensibly = survive.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Here's the proper reality check. Unless Celtc have paid cash for the Serbian guy then not one penny has been spent by Scottish clubs this transfer window. Every other deal is a loan or a free transfer! I honestly believe that with the possible exception of Alexander, our transfers this window are at least as good if not better than Yams. It's all about confidence & desire & it's now up to AS etc to get our squad functioning professionally.

Not it every club in Scotland have been in a downward spiral for the last 6 or so years, caught in a cycle of patching up a rubbish team with unproven loans. You don't always have to pay transfer fees to sign good players on a contract either. If these loans turn out to be amazing and we win the league we will need to replace them next year. The endless cycle of teams filled with loans needs to be broken.

Eyrie
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
How do ICT manage it then??

So, so binary. Spend money = go bust. Live sensibly = survive.

Personally I prefer Spend Sensibly = Thrive, but we haven't done that in recent years with either managerial appointments or player signings so it's been Waste Money = Sink.

brog
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Not it every club in Scotland have been in a downward spiral for the last 6 or so years, caught in a cycle of patching up a rubbish team with unproven loans. You don't always have to pay transfer fees to sign good players on a contract either. If these loans turn out to be amazing and we win the league we will need to replace them next year. The endless cycle of teams filled with loans needs to be broken.

We've signed Fontaine on a 1 year deal & today signed 2 players on loan for a year. I really don't see much difference. I agree we need to sign the right players & not too many loans but there's nothing wrong with the principle. If it's good enough for Man U & Real M then it's good enough for us.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 10:05 PM
We've signed Fontaine on a 1 year deal & today signed 2 players on loan for a year. I really don't see much difference. I agree we need to sign the right players & not too many loans but there's nothing wrong with the principle. If it's good enough for Man U & Real M then it's good enough for us.

1 year deal is just as bad as loan. Man utd are trying to sign a PROVEN WORLD CLASS player on loan, which they have to pay 6 million for but they have the option to buy him! Also, there are strong possibilities that the financial fair play rules are forcing top clubs to act this way.

loans are not bad things, they are however bad when we are filling our squad with them forcing us to constantly have to overhaul the squad each season.

we keep hearing that we can't keep having the constant cycle of changing managers, I would say the constant cycle if players is much worse.

Cropley10
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
1 year loans allow us to constantly rebuild the squad every year and have proven to be a large part of Rod Petrie's signing strategy. Zero risk, zero quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfly
01-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Hibs have no ambition but are always prepared to charge their fans sky high prices

Disgusting - change of ownership is needed and fast.

jacomo
01-09-2014, 11:43 PM

But the squad is small and still lacks balance. From endless defensive midfielders we now seem to have a squad full of attacking midfielders and not much else.