PDA

View Full Version : Quality NOT Quantity

thebausburst
31-08-2014, 06:48 PM
So much for the quality over quantity mantra that's been trotted out for weeks, the team is performing as bad (if not worse) than ever and we're scrabbling about at the last minute trying to get laddies on loan. I mean no disrespect to the boy from Celtic, but really is this the best we can do, is this the 'quality', c'mon Alan surely we can do better than this:fuming

Like many others despite the pain of last season I intended to support the team again this year, but in return the very least I expect is to mount some sort of challenge (for the title) and give me and no doubt many others a reason to turn up. Its make or break for me tomorrow in terms of the transfer deadline, do something dramatic Hibs or its goodnight from me for this season. If we're going to get a bunch of loanees in for gods sake at least make them experienced pros with the promised 'quality' not a bunch of laddies!

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2014, 06:50 PM
did anyone really seriously fall for the 'quality over quantity' line :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
31-08-2014, 06:54 PM
did anyone really seriously fall for the 'quality over quantity' line :greengrin

Aye me :doh:

martin63
31-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Aye me :doh:

Now there's a surprise. NOT

Baldy Foghorn
31-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Now there's a surprise. NOT

Cheeky........

Bostonhibby
31-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Is it Rodspeak for less of the same?:offski:

BoomtownHibees
31-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Got neither

greenlex
31-08-2014, 07:35 PM
With perhaps the exception of Oxley as the jury is still out for me all our signings since Stubbs came have been quality. I don't see a problem myself.

ekhibee
31-08-2014, 08:12 PM
With perhaps the exception of Oxley as the jury us still out fir me all our signings since Stubbs came gave been quality. I don't see a problem myself.
We've lost 3 out of 4 league games, we're third bottom in the Championship, we've only got an 18 player squad, half of whom were the very players that put us in this league in the first place and you don't see a problem?

matty_f
31-08-2014, 08:21 PM
The problems we have lie less with those that we brought in and more with those we kept.

Danderhall Hibs
31-08-2014, 08:25 PM
The problems we have lie less with those that we brought in and more with those we kept.

:agree: as someone (pretty boy maybe) said last week what we needed was a quantity of quality players.

greenlex
31-08-2014, 08:33 PM
We've lost 3 out of 4 league games, we're third bottom in the Championship, we've only got an 18 player squad, half of whom were the very players that put us in this league in the first place and you don't see a problem?
We could always **** ourselves and rush out on the last day and sign players not up to the task like in seasons gone by. I would much rather we waited even till the Jan window and really see what we need. If we were not creating chances I would see a problem but I refuse to panic 4 games in.

hibbymark
31-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Slightly of topic but the first 5 goalscorers on Sportscene tonight Mcpake,Griffiths, Martin Canning and two for Courier ! You couldn't make it up!

eastterrace
31-08-2014, 09:53 PM
We could always **** ourselves and rush out on the last day and sign players not up to the task like in seasons gone by. I would much rather we waited even till the Jan window and really see what we need. If we were not creating chances I would see a problem but I refuse to panic 4 games in.

yes we were making chances but did you go thru to alloa were making chances just didnt happen.

HFC 0-7
31-08-2014, 10:04 PM

How about we get ****ing prepared for the start of the season and not have to wait to the January window to see if we need anything else. We are playing in the championship, against part timers, against teams with a fraction of our budget. Other teams are prepared, we are not. If you let as many players go as we did, you need quality and quantity. This isn't the premiership where top 6 is a target, this is the bloody championship where we are supposed to be aiming to win it. You can't start off the season so badly and be so poorly prepared to win a league.

Fwiw, i can see us ****ting ourselves tomorrow and bringing in a raft of loans last minute.

Ronniekirk
31-08-2014, 10:09 PM
:ostrich::ostrich:

Deansy
31-08-2014, 11:39 PM
'The 5 year plan'
'Massive changes at ER'
'Quality over quantity'
'The Hibernian Family'

And we swallowed them all - hook, line and sinker !. Petrie is not only a wizard with figures, he's pretty s*it-hot with words as well !

truehibernian
31-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Slightly of topic but the first 5 goalscorers on Sportscene tonight Mcpake,Griffiths, Martin Canning and two for Courier ! You couldn't make it up!

Says more about the players to me - Hibs are a big club, players that move away realise that and perhaps feel pressure a lot less, hence they 'perform' a little better.

Would you take any of them back ? I certainly wouldn't - McPake was a kamikaze centre half last season when he played (the injuries will come), Canning is a cart horse when he was here, big MAC would play for us in the Meadows as he still supports us.

Ian Murray is right when he says players sign for the club and just don't appreciate the size of the club and the fans expectations - says a lot about the mentality of the players we have signed to be honest.

I'd like a return to the 'teenage kicks' era at Hibs when we had 11 'arrogant' players brave enough to try things, attack and score goals - mind Tony's sides were also hugely inconsistent, but by God they entertained - 'cos they had a wee touch of arrogance and self belief.

Who would you rather have right in the middle of the park for Hibs - Boozy or Craig ?

That is what's missing for me - players who really have that something extra that get the fans onside and fully backing the side and falling in love with Hibs again. A player like Craig, as a captain as well, turns my stomach.

greenlex
01-09-2014, 08:04 AM
yes we were making chances but did you go thru to alloa were making chances just didnt happen.
To be fair I wasn't at Alloa but the sentiment still stands. One game where we are really poor shouldn't dictate our whole seasons signing policy. All the more reason for quality.

delbert
01-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Not for one minute. This club has pleaded poverty for years and, Griffiths apart, when was the last truly quality player to come through the door at Easter Road ? We don't even have a Cup run to fall back on this time round so as per normal we will be scrambling around for the dregs on cut price loans deals that agents haven't managed to shift. When was the last time you heard of anyone signing 'quality' for nothing ? We have no money, we are not and never were getting quality and to think otherwise is fantasy, Dempster and Stubbs chuck stuff out there and if you choose to believe it, fair enough. Check out the league table to see the quality of our current squad.

emerald green
01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
What do folk actually mean by a "quality" player? These are just a few of my thoughts:

Where are the players in this current (and recent) Hibs squad who are hard both physically and mentally, and by that I don't mean dirty? Players who nearly always win those 50/50 tackles and headers, and let their opponents know they won't be the one being bullied. In fact, the reverse, and get right into their opponents faces.

Technical skill and making nice wee passes is fine, but any successful team also needs players who have got that toughness about them and are "streetwise". Guys who play for the jersey too. The likes of John Blackley, Jimmy O'Rourke, Gordon Hunter, Keith Wright, and my great hero Shades, to name just a few. This current squad just looks too powder puff in this respect. The number of abject and weak performances from Hibs teams in recent seasons has been quite frankly a disgrace.

I suppose players possessing the qualities of the players I mentioned above simply wont come to Hibs now (or stay very long) because players like that can command far higher wages at clubs with much greater financial resources than Hibs, and who could really blame them? These clubs may not necessarily be better clubs than Hibs, as such, but money talks now.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 12:11 PM
What do folk actually mean by a "quality" player? These are just a few of my thoughts:

Where are the players in this current (and recent) Hibs squad who are hard both physically and mentally, and by that I don't mean dirty? Players who nearly always win those 50/50 tackles and headers, and let their opponents know they won't be the one being bullied. In fact, the reverse, and get right into their opponents faces.

Technical skill and making nice wee passes is fine, but any successful team also needs players who have got that toughness about them and are "streetwise". Guys who play for the jersey too. The likes of John Blackley, Jimmy O'Rourke, Gordon Hunter, Keith Wright, and my great hero Shades, to name just a few. This current squad just looks too powder puff in this respect. The number of abject and weak performances from Hibs teams in recent seasons has been quite frankly a disgrace.

I suppose players possessing the qualities of the players I mentioned above simply wont come to Hibs now (or stay very long) because players like that can command far higher wages at clubs with much greater financial resources than Hibs, and who could really blame them? These clubs may not necessarily be better clubs than Hibs, as such, but money talks now.

Yip, they are all signing for the likes of Alloa and Falkirk these days.

IanM
01-09-2014, 12:12 PM

You should be asking AS and the board that very same questions

Ozyhibby
01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Yip, they are all signing for the likes of Alloa and Falkirk these days.

:-)
This is exactly it. I hate reading that we can't get good enough players to come to Hibs anymore. It's not Barcelona we are competing with.

emerald green
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
You should be asking AS and the board that very same questions

I can't go to the supporters consultation evenings mate, but I've no doubt someone else will be asking these sort of questions. At least I hope so.

Weststandwanab
01-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I cannot wait to read the spin coming from these meetings, it will have to creative of the highest quality.

IanM
01-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I can't go to the supporters consultation evenings mate, but I've no doubt someone else will be asking these sort of questions. At least I hope so.

My reply may have came across abrupt! Wasn't that way intended. It's the question I'll be asking!

emerald green
01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
My reply may have came across abrupt! Wasn't that way intended. It's the question I'll be asking!

Na mate, I never read your post as abrupt at all. No probs. Good luck with your question, and no doubt you will let us all know on this forum what answers you get. :aok:

Baader
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Another load of patronising propaganda from a board that disgrace this club. Same bs every year. Get out

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM

I don't wish to be disrespectful here, but what kind of answers are you expecting?

emerald green
01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't wish to be disrespectful here, but what kind of answers are you expecting?

No problem. No offence taken. I'm not really sure what kind of answers to expect to be honest. I simply hope that any questions will be answered openly and honestly. I know that may seem naïve to some.

Can I ask you the same question?

Steve20
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
It seems we've decided to have neither quality or quantity this year.

Michael
01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Pat was a big fan of this phrase.

Gordy M
01-09-2014, 04:15 PM
It seems we've decided to have neither quality or quantity this year.

Who have we signed that in your opinion isnt quality?

Steve20
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Who have we signed that in your opinion isnt quality?

None of them are bad players, but, with the exception of Allan, can you really say they're quality?

Do you really think the team has the required quality to get promotion?

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Not for one minute. This club has pleaded poverty for years and, Griffiths apart, when was the last truly quality player to come through the door at Easter Road ? We don't even have a Cup run to fall back on this time round so as per normal we will be scrambling around for the dregs on cut price loans deals that agents haven't managed to shift. When was the last time you heard of anyone signing 'quality' for nothing ? We have no money, we are not and never were getting quality and to think otherwise is fantasy, Dempster and Stubbs chuck stuff out there and if you choose to believe it, fair enough. Check out the league table to see the quality of our current squad.

probably david murphy, although there's most likely others since i would think, it really does get quite depressing why we are always hunting about for the last minute buys/loans, if you're not fast yer last :agree:

Gordy M
01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
None of them are bad players, but, with the exception of Allan, can you really say they're quality?

Do you really think the team has the required quality to get promotion?
But you stayed we had signed no quality?? Do i think they could be playing a level higher than scot champ, yes i do, so in that respect i think they are quality(its relative i suppose). My issue is some of the players we had from last year, not the ones signed by stubbs.

Greenblood70
01-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I feel for Stubbs, he has a paper thin squad of mostly inconsistent young players and some absolutely honking senior pros to work with. Cheers Hibs Board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith_M
01-09-2014, 04:25 PM

By which point we'll be so far behind Hearts and Rangers that it won't be worthwhile bothering.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
No problem. No offence taken. I'm not really sure what kind of answers to expect to be honest. I simply hope that any questions will be answered openly and honestly. I know that may seem naïve to some.

Can I ask you the same question?

Of course you can, no problem EG. The crowd will rightly be angry, and i'd imagine most of the questions will really be the same in a roundabout way.

Most will be asking why we are in such a ridiculous position, and the stock answer will be the management and backroom staff are doing everything in their power to rectify the situation.

They will play on the heart strings by telling us the new manager is just in the door, and he's looking to bring in the right players not just fill it with numbers, the quality over quantity mantra.

We can all see thats pish, but hey ho the questions been answered.

New ownership will also come up, but STF has our best interest at heart, and won't sell to any old tom dick or harry. Which is also fair enough, but under his ownership he's never there or if he is he's only there to see the big games or the unfurling of another piece of infrastructure which has been payed for by either mortgage player sales or the fans.

He will soon be able to go to easter road and sit on any number of seats he likes most will be empty. And thats under his ownership, you know the man who does not trust anyone else to run the club as good as him.

No question will be answered that changes this team into a winning one, its more hot air and waffle.

And to think i fell for it again last summer.:rolleyes:

ekhibee
01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Of course you can, no problem EG. The crowd will rightly be angry, and i'd imagine most of the questions will really be the same in a roundabout way.

Most will be asking why we are in such a ridiculous position, and the stock answer will be the management and backroom staff are doing everything in their power to rectify the situation.

They will play on the heart strings by telling us the new manager is just in the door, and he's looking to bring in the right players not just fill it with numbers, the quality over quantity mantra.

New ownership will also come up, but STF has our best interest at heart, and won't sell to any old tom dick or harry. Which is also fair enough, but under his ownership he's never there or if he is he's only there to see the big games or the unfurling of another piece of infrastructure which has been payed for by either mortgage player sales or the fans.

He will soon be able to go to easter road and sit on any number of seats he likes most will be empty. And thats under his ownership, you know the man who does not trust anyone else to run the club as good as him.

No question will be answered that changes this team into a winning one, its more hot air and waffle.

:top marks

emerald green
01-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Very sadly, and very worryingly, you are probably correct Blackpool. I find it all very predictable and depressing.

I feel in some ways AS and LD have been hung out to dry, but we as supporters can only give them as much support as possible, in the short term at least.

I just cannot see any easy way out of the situation the club is in. Things will never radically change on the pitch, where it matters, until the club is able to sign good enough players, and enough of them, to get us out of this mess. (By saying that I'm not having a go at our latest signings. They have to be given a chance. El Alagui's injury - the nature and timing of it - is horrendous for him personally and the club generally).

Radical change will mean a change of ownership, and substantial financial backing. Where that will come from, and in what format, I simply do not know. I'm just a simple supporter, so I'll just leave that to the experts.

Ozyhibby
01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Very sadly, and very worryingly, you are probably correct Blackpool. I find it all very predictable and depressing.

I feel in some ways AS and LD have been hung out to dry, but we as supporters can only give them as much support as possible, in the short term at least.

I just cannot see any easy way out of the situation the club is in. Things will never radically change on the pitch, where it matters, until the club is able to sign good enough players, and enough of them, to get us out of this mess. (By saying that I'm not having a go at our latest signings. They have to be given a chance. El Alagui's injury - the nature and timing of it - is horrendous for him personally and the club generally).

Radical change will mean a change of ownership, and substantial financial backing. Where that will come from, and in what format, I simply do not know. I'm just a simple supporter, so I'll just leave that to the experts.

It's simple supporters who are getting Hearts out of their mess.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Yip, thats my thinking on this too. :boo hoo:

HoboHarry
01-09-2014, 06:22 PM
I feel for Stubbs, he has a paper thin squad of mostly inconsistent young players and some absolutely honking senior pros to work with. Cheers Hibs Board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you suggesting the honking senior pros were forced on our previous managers by the board or do you think that the board simply provided the funds for those chosen by the previous managers?

WhileTheChief..
01-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Thing is, we are talking about getting out of the 2nd tier of Scottish football here. We need to sign better quality than Alloa and Cowdenbeath. Is that really so hard for us to achieve??

We're no longer trying to compete with the might of Partick Thistle, Ross County or ICT.

emerald green
01-09-2014, 06:24 PM
It's simple supporters who are getting Hearts out of their mess.

And walking away from £30million of debts practically Scot free.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Yip, thats my thinking on this too. :boo hoo:

Why do you think LD has been hung out to dry? She was the one telling us she was in full control. Stubbs I can understand, he could have gone to the board with several targets, none of which given the green light.

if LD isn't in full control, I think she would say something.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Why do you think LD has been hung out to dry? She was the one telling us she was in full control. Stubbs I can understand, he could have gone to the board with several targets, none of which given the green light.

if LD isn't in full control, I think she would say something.

I think she's been hung out to dry because she's not been given the funds to activate her plans. I don't see where all the season ticket money and parachute payments have gone, considering the amount of players who left us this summer?

HoboHarry
01-09-2014, 06:29 PM
I think she's been hung out to dry because she's not been given the funds to activate her plans. I don't see where all the season ticket money and parachute payments have gone, considering the amount of players who left us this summer?
How many season tickets have we sold this season compared to where we were this time last season?

HFC 0-7
01-09-2014, 06:33 PM

I think we have been misled about where the money has gone or us going. She has told us it will all be going on the players, if that's not the case she has to come clean. I wonder if there is money going back to holding companies that have provided loans in the past in preparation for new owners. All very well if that's the case but we should be told about it. We have as small a squad as I can remember with no players, IMO, on big wages.

Whether money has has been kept from her or not, whether she was promised more than she got, she knows the score and she needs to be transparent.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
How many season tickets have we sold this season compared to where we were this time last season?

I saw a figure quoted at 7200, add on the parachute payment of £500k do you think we've spent it?

Ozyhibby
01-09-2014, 06:37 PM
And walking away from £30million of debts practically Scot free.

They would not have pulled that off if it wasn't for their fans willingness to pony up.
We are going to have to do the same if we are to save our club. And I believe if we don't then we will be heading for admin ourselves.

HoboHarry
01-09-2014, 06:39 PM
I saw a figure quoted at 7200, add on the parachute payment of £500k do you think we've spent it?
I've no idea but that wasn't really an answer was it? Where are we compared to last year and also, since you brought it up, how much of the parachute payment will go to TB and MM?

Ozyhibby
01-09-2014, 06:43 PM
I've no idea but that wasn't really an answer was it? Where are we compared to last year and also, since you brought it up, how much of the parachute payment will go to TB and MM?

The parachute payment is to make up for losing TV money in the top league. It's not extra money. It's less money than we usually get.

HoboHarry
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
The parachute payment is to make up for losing TV money in the top league. It's not extra money. It's less money than we usually get.
I know, I hadn't got to that bit yet......:wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM

If i remember rightly, we sold somewhere in the region of 8000 season tickets last year, hopefully someone will come on and confirm the actual number.

With the 7200 sold this year at last seasons prices, and the parachute payment we have as much if not even more money to spend. Then you have to take into account all the wages that left, can you see where its been spent?

The parachute payment should be bloody spent on players wages, if not the quality over quantity statement and the aim of going up at the first attempt was just waffle to keep the fans onboard.

emerald green
01-09-2014, 06:47 PM
They would not have pulled that off if it wasn't for their fans willingness to pony up.
We are going to have to do the same if we are to save our club. And I believe if we don't then we will be heading for admin ourselves.

As I said earlier, I'm not an expert on these things, but I thought they managed to walk away from most of their debts by getting a CVA?

I agree it may come to a point where the club may have to ask the fans for financial backing in some form or another. Share issue anyone?

BroxburnHibee
01-09-2014, 06:48 PM
That 7200 figure is just a guess though eh?

I don't remember Hibs stating a figure.

HoboHarry
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
If i remember rightly, we sold somewhere in the region of 8000 season tickets last year, hopefully someone will come on and confirm the actual number.

With the 7200 sold this year at last seasons prices, and the parachute payment we have as much if not even more money to spend. Then you have to take into account all the wages that left, can you see where its been spent?

The parachute payment should be bloody spent on players wages, if not the quality over quantity statement and the aim of going up at the first attempt was just waffle to keep the fans onboard.
So let's say we are 800 tickets down at 300 pounds a pop. We would be 240,000 down, paying TB and MM as well as all the lost TV money money. Do you see any wee flaws in your plan? Any at all?

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
That 7200 figure is just a guess though eh?

I don't remember Hibs stating a figure.

Is it, i thought it was confirmed? How many have we sold, is it more?

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
So let's say we are 800 tickets down at 300 pounds a pop. We would be 240,000 down, paying TB and MM as well as all the lost TV money money. Do you see any wee flaws in your plan? Any at all?

The average ST price is less that £300, or at least it was a couple of years ago.

HoboHarry
01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
The average ST price is less that £300, or at least it was a couple of years ago.
Fair enough, just taking a stab at the average price to demonstrate my point. I don't know how many tickets we have sold either for sure.

#2 Double Tap
01-09-2014, 06:52 PM

but the squad is still so unbalanced, we have; 1 gk, no cover for defence, no right sided midfielders, and 1 decent forward. we still imo are playing players out of position, like liam craig and stevenson, when you look at our "first team" on the hibs website we almost have more "staff" than "players".

blackpoolhibs

£200, Rod quoted that figure a couple of seasons ago after all the concessions are taken into account.

BroxburnHibee
Is it, i thought it was confirmed? How many have we sold, is it more?

I have no idea as i have not seen this reported anywhere.

Plenty 'experts' on here stating figures so maybe they'll point me in the right direction.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Plenty 'experts' on here stating figures so maybe they'll point me in the right direction.

I wouldnt know where to look, but the club did state something like 5500 had been sold and then said supporters had been buying them steadily after that. Then the 7200 was quoted on here by someone who'd asked at the club. Not a definite, but i'd say it was near when you look at our crowds for the home games so far.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 07:57 PM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?289427-Tonight-s-supporters-meeting&p=4155699#post4155699

I knew i'd seen it somewhere and thats it confirmed now. When you look at our crowds i knew it was not far off.

BroxburnHibee
02-09-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?289427-Tonight-s-supporters-meeting&p=4155699#post4155699

I knew i'd seen it somewhere and thats it confirmed now. When you look at our crowds i knew it was not far off.

Aye I've just seen that but thank you anyway :wink:

Hibbyradge
02-09-2014, 08:15 PM
the quality over quantity mantra.

What mantra, G?

I think Alan Stubbs said the phrase once in early July, but it's the press and folk on here have been repeating it ad nauseum, thereby making it yet another Hibs.net FACT that they can use to batter the board.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Aye I've just seen that but thank you anyway :wink:

No problem, probably up to 8k or 9k with excited folk purchasing them after the deadline day signings.:greengrin