PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hartley

J-C
31-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Hartley on tv just now saying McPake has been a rock in defence since signing, this the same McPake who said he was fit for weeks and couldn't get a game for us when Butcher was in charge, how we need him now.:confused:

emerald green
31-08-2014, 11:28 AM
The list of players who appear to do well after they leave HFC is endless.

I see the guy Antione-Curier doing well at Hamilton Accies these days.

J-C
31-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Thing is last year and even more so now we need leaders on the park, Thomson and McPake are these guys but Butcher/Malpas screwed and lied to us with their management of these 2 players.

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2014, 11:34 AM
goal Mcpake in first minute

semaj64
31-08-2014, 11:35 AM
And scores !

J-C
31-08-2014, 11:36 AM
yep and a cracking goal too.

GlasgowHibee
31-08-2014, 11:36 AM
And he scores, unbelievable.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Lol couldn't make it up eh

Hibby Bairn
31-08-2014, 11:40 AM
John Rankin James Collins David Wotherspoon

Iain G
31-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Hartley on tv just now saying McPake has been a rock in defence since signing, this the same McPake who said he was fit for weeks and couldn't get a game for us when Butcher was in charge, how we need him now.:confused:

Fine til he gets injured again!

emerald green
31-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Thing is last year and even more so now we need leaders on the park, Thomson and McPake are these guys but Butcher/Malpas screwed and lied to us with their management of these 2 players.

:agree: There's no leadership on the pitch in this current Hibs squad.

I'm just seeing McPake has scored. It's torture being a Hibs supporter right now. Hate what's become of our club, and it's not Alan Stubbs' fault.

J-C
31-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Fine til he gets injured again!

Seemingly fit for the last 10 weeks of last years season and so far fit for pre season and the 1st 4 games, you think we don't need a player like that right now. :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
31-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Seemingly fit for the last 10 weeks of last years season and so far fit for pre season and the 1st 4 games, you think we don't need a player like that right now. :confused:

:agree: wonder what happened to his career ending injury that folk were telling us about?

SlickShoes
31-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Hibs.net myth, most players go on to worse career moves on the whole.

emerald green
31-08-2014, 12:07 PM

Well, perhaps? It also depends on what you class as a "worse career move". For some, just getting away from a particular club might be felt to be a good career move.

The truth of the matter, rather than Hibs.net myth, is possibly somewhere in between.

For example, in fairly recent times I can think of Scott Brown, Steven Fletcher, Leigh Griffiths, Steven Whittaker, David Murphy, who went on to better career moves.

I agree some players go on to relative oblivion though.

SlickShoes
31-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Well, perhaps? It also depends on what you class as a "worse career move". For some, just getting away from a particular club might be felt to be a good career move.

The truth of the matter, rather than Hibs.net myth, is possibly somewhere in between.

For example, in fairly recent times I can think of Scott Brown, Steven Fletcher, Leigh Griffiths, Steven Whittaker, David Murphy, who went on to better career moves.

Those are players that played well for us though, this type of conversation is about players that don't work at hibs or leave under other circumstances. John rankin is the one most people like to bring up, but for everyone of him there are 3 Steven pinaus playing for the Rochester rhinos.

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2014, 12:13 PM
sparky coming on

emerald green
31-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Those are players that played well for us though, this type of conversation is about players that don't work at hibs or leave under other circumstances. John rankin is the one most people like to bring up, but for everyone of him there are 3 Steven pinaus playing for the Rochester rhinos.

Fair enough. :agree:

emerald green
31-08-2014, 12:15 PM
sparky coming on

Hope he doesn't get injured. :cb

Speedy
31-08-2014, 12:16 PM

All of those were deemed a success at the time.

The point is around those who left after not being deemed good enough.

emerald green
31-08-2014, 12:18 PM
All of those were deemed a success at the time.

The point is around those who left after not being deemed good enough.

:agree: Point taken.

J-C
31-08-2014, 12:19 PM
See Thomson the club captian sitting chatting with Brown all suited up with club tie on, the proper way to act as a captain.

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2014, 12:23 PM
jim spence talking to Legend sir Albert of kidd :)

The Leith Dutch
31-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Not so much a myth - more 11:11 syndrome.

Folk often wonder why they seem to see the time 11 minutes past 11 a lot more than other times on the clock.
They don't - it's just comfortably the most memorable single time that they can see on the clock so they remember every time it happens.

Same with players - we remember the ones that go on to play well somewhere else but not the ones that don't do much.

Sure someone said on here that Lewis Stevenson had played with something like 140 different players in his 10 years at Hibs.
Pretty sure that the ones we moved on that did very little would hit close to 120.

The bigger worry for me is not the ones that go on to better things - that's just the breaks.
It's the ones that come here a good player and seem to go backwards at a rate of knots.

Dirty words around here but McGivern looked like an EPL player when he first arrived and by the end of his time here I reckon most of the support would personally have driven him onto his next club just to get him the ****** away from ER.

Right at the minute I reckon we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and turn them into Selkirk class within a season.

Mind you, on current form, I may be hearing from Selkirk's lawyers for defamation.....

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2014, 12:44 PM
the sparkmeister scores 1-1

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2014, 12:47 PM
att: 9,276

basehibby
31-08-2014, 01:26 PM

You have got to wonder WTF was going on between Butchers & Malpas's ears if they thought Nelson was a better option - the more I hear about them the clearer it becomes that they just had no clue as to what they were supposed to be doing.

Stantons Angel
31-08-2014, 03:03 PM
See Thomson the club captian sitting chatting with Brown all suited up with club tie on, the proper way to act as a captain.

Ive read this post with interest and cant help but smile at some of the comments directed at McPake and Thomson especially.

Are these not the same two players who were slagged off so much on here last season? Yes we need leadership in our team right now and McPake had shown that leadership on more than one occasion when he has led the team to victory. I believe he was fit and Butcher could not admit he was wrong in leaving him out hence the defeated run we went on.

Thomson was always a good captain of Hibs and never let us down. Butcher on the other hand thought better of it and took it off him and gave it to Craig.

I dont have a gripe against Craig accept that he is not in MY opinion a Hibs captain. there are many reasons why and i think you all know most of them?

It may be also that when these players are away from the pressures and anxieties of the Hibs support they begin to flourish away from all the tension and foul mouthed abuse they are subjected too.

Just goes to show just how much promise is being stifled by the negativity at Easter Road

Baldy Foghorn
31-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Ive read this post with interest and cant help but smile at some of the comments directed at McPake and Thomson especially.

Are these not the same two players who were slagged off so much on here last season? Yes we need leadership in our team right now and McPake had shown that leadership on more than one occasion when he has led the team to victory. I believe he was fit and Butcher could not admit he was wrong in leaving him out hence the defeated run we went on.

Thomson was always a good captain of Hibs and never let us down. Butcher on the other hand thought better of it and took it off him and gave it to Craig.

I dont have a gripe against Craig accept that he is not in MY opinion a Hibs captain. there are many reasons why and i think you all know most of them?

It may be also that when these players are away from the pressures and anxieties of the Hibs support they begin to flourish away from all the tension and foul mouthed abuse they are subjected too.

Just goes to show just how much promise is being stifled by the negativity at Easter Road

McPake was injury prone, and was a liability at times.....Chucked it at ER against Malmo when the chips were down.....As for KT, he was fine, but his biggest problem was that he thought he was better than he actually was.

The last sentence is nonsense, how many times have we had huge supports at ER and Hampden, and been blootered in the cahoonas?

Stranraer
31-08-2014, 03:20 PM
John Rankin James Collins David Wotherspoon

Sign, don't sign, sign :greengrin

I'd love to see Wotherspoon back but he's not mad enough to even consider it.

#FromTheCapital
31-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm glad mcpake is gone. He was decent in his loan spell with us, but I think we made him out to be a lot better than he actually was. Once he got the permanent deal he was a different player, didn't seem interested... When he wasn't out injured of course.

DH1875
31-08-2014, 03:30 PM
I still don't get how TB was allowed to punt them only for him to get punted. What if Stubbs would have liked to keep any of them.
On a side note, nice to see McPake and Leigh swapping shirts after todays game.

greenlex
31-08-2014, 03:31 PM
McPake made some terrific block tackles in his time at ER. They were however usually because he had not done well enough with his first touch.average at best. Leader? Possibly but decidedly average.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-08-2014, 03:32 PM
If we wanted to talk about and then demonstrate a true wind of change then maybe we should have thought about appointing Hartley as manager?

basehibby
31-08-2014, 03:34 PM

There's only so far you can go with that line. I've often been very critical of the kind of fan who's idea of supporting the club is to shout gems of wisdom such as "**** off" and "you're *****" at whoever they see as least deserving of the Hibs jersey they are wearing.
BUT - throughout the relegation debacle and the pishy start to the season we have since been treated to, the Hibs support from what I've seen has been a model of patient understanding, encouragement and forebearance. They have been IMMENSE and the team on the park and all those running the club have a hell of a lot to do before they have proven that they deserve to be associated with such a great support.

The negativity at Easter Road has been caused directly by the lack of winning football on display - change that and you will change the atmosphere as well - overnight!

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2014, 03:38 PM
McPake made some terrific block tackles in his time at ER. They were however usually because he had not done well enough with his first touch.average at best. Leader? Possibly but decidedly average.

Oh for the heady days of decidedly average players.

Dalkeith Hibee
31-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Aye apparently McPake was fit for last 10 weeks if the season yet Butcher still thought Nelson and McGivern were better options. The guy should have been sacked for that alone.

rcarter1
31-08-2014, 03:51 PM
There's only so far you can go with that line. I've often been very critical of the kind of fan who's idea of supporting the club is to shout gems of wisdom such as "**** off" and "you're *****" at whoever they see as least deserving of the Hibs jersey they are wearing.
BUT - throughout the relegation debacle and the pishy start to the season we have since been treated to, the Hibs support from what I've seen has been a model of patient understanding, encouragement and forebearance. They have been IMMENSE and the team on the park and all those running the club have a hell of a lot to do before they have proven that they deserve to be associated with such a great support.

The negativity at Easter Road has been caused directly by the lack of winning football on display - change that and you will change the atmosphere as well - overnight!

Hear hear. The negativity exists in the minds of far too many players at our club. It is infectious, just in the way that confidence and positive attitude is. I was hoping with so many players leaving the club we could introduce an entirely new clutch not tainted with the ghosts of the past.

If we were to win the next game at Easter Road 5-0, we would be delighted, if we kept following up with good results and performances the fans would be delighted and vocal on match day. Then lets say we beat Hearts by say 3 or 4 goals in the next Derby, we would be buzzing and the players would be put on a pedestal. The fans can let this horror go far easier than the players it appears.

southsider
31-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Aye apparently McPake was fit for last 10 weeks if the season yet Butcher still thought Nelson and McGivern were better options. The guy should have been sacked for that alone.
Aye and we are still paying him and his sidekick. The only person i hate more than that pair is Petrie.

Danderhall Hibs
31-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Who were the ITK guys that said mcpake was injured and career over again?

Mind mcpake coming out slating them in the papers.

Crops73
31-08-2014, 05:04 PM

I really liked McPake.

Dalkeith Hibee
31-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Aye and we are still paying him and his sidekick. The only person i hate more than that pair is Petrie.

Totally agree. Those 3 are the reason we are here and why it will take years to repair if we can at all.

ancient hibee
31-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Interesting that Thomson continues to be constantly injured.

emerald green
31-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Well said. :agree: :top marksHibs problems are on the pitch, and in the boardroom, not in the stands.

It just seems so glaringly obvious to me.

O'Rourke3
31-08-2014, 06:29 PM
There's a guy in our office referees and runs the line in the u20s. He saw McPake playing about 3 weeks before the end of last season and stated he was completely unfit and couldn't run.

There's a big difference between wanting to play and being able.

That said I thought he'd be in for the play-offs simply due to his leadership. If he's unfit he may not have over stretched and dived into tackles he'd no need to.

Was glad he signed - that was a calculated risk given he came to us with a back problem. So either he wasn't up to it or we were training him the wrong way.

I wish him all the best but reckon he'll be injured before the send of September.....

Stantons Angel
31-08-2014, 06:44 PM

If you had read the full meaning of the post without jumping out of your chair you would have noted that i was speaking in the past tense.. no?

The Hibs support has been tremendous since the start of the season except for the boo boys against Falkirk, & those that walked out on them at the Dumbarton game.

I was adding a thought, not a fact that maybe the negativity when playing at ER was a bit hard to handle on the players and when they went elsewhere they played better without the hostile atmosphere greeting them every home game.

I want a winning team too but this post was not about what is happening at Hibs but about the previous players.

Hibs1992
31-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I still don't get how TB was allowed to punt them only for him to get punted. What if Stubbs would have liked to keep any of them.
On a side note, nice to see McPake and Leigh swapping shirts after todays game.

This exactly. You look and see Mcpake and Taiwo doing well at their new clubs whilst we are stuck watching Liam Craig shame the captain's armband week in week out. Allowing Butcher & Malpas to decide which players left or stayed only to sack them days later was a disgraceful piece of club management and in any other business would be a sackale offence.

Hibs are an embarrassment of a football club just now and it is the supporters who have to take the flak and who continue to dip into their pockets only to be shafted repeatedly. Shame on the board.

malagahibby
31-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Mcpake single handley kept us up first season .
Last season he took a barrowluad of abuse from this site as he was playing with an injury .
If butcher hadn't feed him the fans would have hounded him out .
He's enjoying his football now

malagahibby
31-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Freed him even !

The Modfather
31-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Mcpake was always a better player when not in the team and now he's gone. When he was in the team he was poor. Commendable attitude and desire on the pitch, but woefull reading of the game and positioning, with his last ditch tackles more often than not to cover up his other failings.

All my opinion of course.

Baader
01-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Good attitude and a good captain but injury issues a concern and think he was more keen to play than able to... Sadly don't expect to see him having long spells free of injury at Dundee.

truehibernian
01-09-2014, 02:23 AM
Mcpake single handley kept us up first season .
Last season he took a barrowluad of abuse from this site as he was playing with an injury .
If butcher hadn't feed him the fans would have hounded him out .
He's enjoying his football now

No he didn't (keep us up single handedly) - it showed how low we had sunk that it took a loanee we had never really heard of, who played for a bit for the jersey and a contract, to galvanise the squad. The goals of Leigh, Doyle and GOC kept us up, simple as that - we were still shipping goals at the back.

McPake can do one - last season he went awol when we needed a captain to come out regularly to galvanise the support - for me he put his self before Hibs, his troubles with Butcher before the club - he seemed more interested in a bloody vengabus than our relegation battle.

He got paid well - he should have 'enjoyed' his football at Hibs - he occupied the physio room for most of it, got suspended a lot, had a few decent games, captained us in a humiliating cup final defeat, limped off in a hugely embarrassing Euro humping, talked up his Celtic heroes in a live TV chat as Hibs captai . That is McPake's Hibernian career. Forgettable I would say :aok: