PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon defensive midfielder

macd123
31-08-2014, 12:38 AM
The way things are i can't see another option. He has the ability and composure and the other candidates aren't up to it. We have to be hard to beat first and foremost. We also need more aerial threat particularly with Farid out. Give him the armband too.

The_Horde
31-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Worst idea I've ever heard.

West hamBERNIAN
31-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Given how poor the defence look when he's out I'd say Naw, let's hope Sunday Monday brings some quality. 🙌🙇

macd123
31-08-2014, 01:09 AM
;4149190']Worst idea I've ever heard.

Worse idea than playing liam craig there?

Fergus52
31-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Does no one remember the identical thread a couple of years back :greengrin?

Personally I think he'd do not bad there, but we need him at the back

Benny Brazil
31-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Would say we need him more in the centre of the defence - however - Paul played most of his football in his early years in midfield - was only (I believe although am open to be corrected on this) when he came to Hibs that he was played in defence.

JJP
31-08-2014, 01:45 AM
I'm sure someone told me he was a midfielder in his younger days. But I'm sure there is a good reason he's now a defender.

macd123
31-08-2014, 02:15 AM

It would depend on fontaine stepping up which i hope he does. Otherwise one of them will be on the bench while craig keeps his place. But i agree he would be decent and that's better than we are just now.

Pete
31-08-2014, 03:14 AM

That thread was rightly ridiculed because under Pat Fenlon we had nothing but defensive midfielders. Even our attacking midfielders somehow morphed into defensive midfielders.

What I wouldn't give right now for a Claros/Thomson/Taiwo conundrum.

Iain G
31-08-2014, 06:21 AM
That thread was rightly ridiculed because under Pat Fenlon we had nothing but defensive midfielders. Even our attacking midfielders somehow morphed into defensive midfielders.

Guessing Stubbs doesn't rate OTJ?

leggeto
31-08-2014, 06:52 AM
He'd be on the bench for me as back up for Forster and Fontaine

H18sry
31-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Guessing Stubbs doesn't rate OTJ?

Does anybody?

Aldo
31-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Worse idea than playing liam craig there?

Don't think you can use the word playing and Liam Craig in the same sentence!! ;-)

CB_NO3
31-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Hanlon is our best defender by a long shot. He should be captain IMO. I know its early but Fontaine looks poor after 2 games and from what I have read on the Bristol City forum we have another dud signing.

sbell1875
31-08-2014, 08:26 AM
It's been the case for the last 3 seasons, in my opinion, Hanlon is the key part of the defence. Whenever he is out we're far weaker defensively than when he plays. Case in point, towards the end last season when Nelson & McGivern finished the season as centre backs.

Hanlon seems to be the only defender capable of taking a wee bit of time to work out how best to distribute the ball and I think he organises the defence well.

Even if he had started yesterday I still think we'd have lost the game though because for me the system was all wrong. Alloa were deserved winners to be honest. I don't think we adapted brilliantly to the artificial surface but that should be no excuse.

As for Farid, if it is a serious injury there I genuinely fear for our play-off chances because Heffernan looks neither fit, sharp or even interested. Unless there are 3-4 genuine quality players signed up in the next couple of days then I don't think we'll make the play-off's. Pains me to say it but we're simply not good enough at the moment.

down-the-slope
31-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Hanlon is our best defender by a long shot. He should be captain IMO. I know its early but Fontaine looks poor after 2 games and from what I have read on the Bristol City forum we have another dud signing.

or a direct - but Cheaper - replacement for the Admiral

DH1875
31-08-2014, 10:44 AM

Who, Hanlon????? No chance.

SunshineOnLeith
31-08-2014, 10:57 AM
No messing about with positions, based in performances he's better than Fontaine, straight swap.

wynnie1875
31-08-2014, 11:38 AM

The same Forster and Fontaine who have conceded 4 goals in the last 2 games to part-time teams? We missed Hanlon badly at the end of last season and I think that was a big factor in us getting relegated. Always look stronger at the back when he plays.

lord bunberry
31-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Did we not try him in midfield a few years ago?

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Lewis should be there with Booth at fullback and Hanlon in central defense.

Fergus52
31-08-2014, 11:48 AM
The same Forster and Fontaine who have conceded 4 goals in the last 2 games to part-time teams? We missed Hanlon badly at the end of last season and I think that was a big factor in us getting relegated. Always look stronger at the back when he plays.

:agree:

Hanlon is one of our best players, and I'd imagine that Stubbs will recognize that as well.

J-C
31-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Did we not try him in midfield a few years ago?

He came through the ranks as a left sided midfielder and played there in the league cup final where he got MOM, he's unfortuhately versatile but he is more defense minded rather than attacking, the DM role would be well suited for him.

p.s. are you talking about Hanlon or Lewis.

Hanlon as far as I'm aware started off as a midfielder but was moved to the back.

macd123
31-08-2014, 02:19 PM

To be honest i would even settle for kevin mcbride just now

danhibees1875
31-08-2014, 02:33 PM
He's one of our best players and is a massive miss imo. So it's probably about time hibs played him out of position.

Ox
Fontaine, hanlon, forster
Gray. .................booth
Stanton, New dcm, Kennedy
Cummings, new cf

Would be my team. (This is assuming big el is out, not that I don't rate him).