PDA

View Full Version : The pride is fading.....

jiggerman
30-08-2014, 08:50 PM
I went along today for my first game of this season.

The last 6/7 years have been nothing but a misery for us all. I had been coming round to the idea that we had bottomed out and Stubbs has been turning us around (better football, some narrow/unlucky defeats). Slowly but surely....

However, as well as realising that doesn't really look to be the case (based on today), I realised that how I feel about the club these days is symptomatic of the prolonged period of embarrassment and underperformance.

I used to get a real feeling of pride in being a Hibee. When we ran out the tunnel, when we outnumbered home supports, when we outplayed the opposition and scored stylish goals, when we were the envy of other teams and their support. I just didn't feel that today, instead, there was an inevitability about the Alloa comeback and a general feeling of helplessness. Compounded once again by Hearts somehow getting the job done.

I am not writing Stubbs off, but I don't envy him. To halt this seemingly endless terminal decline is harder than simply replacing personnel it seems (6/11 starting today were new recruits) and is going to take some doing. By my way of thinking, the longer that takes the harder it becomes as larger swathes of the support feel similarly to me, serving only to make confidence and belief within the club harder to restore.

No doubt there will be many ready to castigate my, perhaps justifiably, sombre view of things but I'm only sharing my feelings after a depressingly nostalgic days watching our team get turned over yet again by 'lesser' opposition, and indeed this time by part timers.

Alloa deserve credit for their performance, in which they displayed significant grit and staying power in a performance not without skill and ability too.

yankyhibby
30-08-2014, 08:56 PM

The last 6/7 years have been nothing but a misery for us all. I had been coming round to the idea that we had bottomed out and Stubbs has been turning us around (better football, some narrow/unlucky defeats). Slowly but surely....

However, as well as realising that doesn't really look to be the case (based on today), I realised that how I feel about the club these days is symptomatic of the prolonged period of embarrassment and underperformance.

I used to get a real feeling of pride in being a Hibee. When we ran out the tunnel, when we outnumbered home supports, when we outplayed the opposition and scored stylish goals, when we were the envy of other teams and their support. I just didn't feel that today, instead, there was an inevitability about the Alloa comeback and a general feeling of helplessness. Compounded once again by Hearts somehow getting the job done.

I am not writing Stubbs off, but I don't envy him. To halt this seemingly endless terminal decline is harder than simply replacing personnel it seems (6/11 starting today were new recruits) and is going to take some doing. By my way of thinking, the longer that takes the harder it becomes as larger swathes of the support feel similarly to me, serving only to make confidence and belief within the club harder to restore.

No doubt there will be many ready to castigate my, perhaps justifiably, sombre view of things but I'm only sharing my feelings after a depressingly nostalgic days watching our team get turned over yet again by 'lesser' opposition, and indeed this time by part timers.

Alloa deserve credit for their performance, in which they displayed significant grit and staying power in a performance not without skill and ability too.

:top marks

Bishop Hibee
30-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Good post. We all love Hibs but the way things are at the moment it's almost to painful to watch. Especially dreaming of bygone days.

H18 SFR
30-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Your post is very measured and well made. I agree with most of it, strongly agree with the remainder. You don't deserve any criticism for this. Well said mate.

Golden Bear
30-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Alloa deserve credit for their pperformance, in which they displayed significant grit and staying power in a performance not without skill and ability too.

Well said that man. We all recognise the ailments affecting our once proud Club but coming up with a workable and sustainable solution is another thing. I, for one, don't have the answers.

Thecat23
30-08-2014, 09:08 PM

One of the most honest and best posts I've read on here. Sums up how I feel as well. Well said!

theonlywayisup
30-08-2014, 09:10 PM

I think the reality of our situation is beginning to hit home. Too good to be relegated! Will come straight back up! Not with this team.

For those who say it is a blip. Remember, lots of kids now men aged twenty and above have never seen Scotland in a major championship. Dundee were one of the top teams, but have spent too.long in the wilderness.

Wouldn't happen to Hibs, you think!

erskine-hibby
30-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Replacing personnel ON TIME and giving them time to gel in preseason may work???
Well at least it may be a start. We have 2 days to bring in, IMHO, 5-6 new players, as it is already apparent the ones we have left from last season ain't cutting it.
Even then it may be too late, 9 points behind THEM and 6 behind the currents, a lot to make up already.

marleyhib
30-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Nice post, me and my mate were walking to ER last week and both thought that last weeks game would say a lot about where we were at. Same old for me, same as we're have been watching for a long time - Leigh aside Hibs have had nothing at all for 5 years. No fight, no belief no real talent, we as fans get continually let down, we must have the worst form in the UK for a professional team in the last year. Really , really rank rotten - the entire population of Alloa wouldn't fill Easter Road. I have been watching Hibs since the 70s, it's been bad, not as bad as this - I will always love Hibs but I am at an all time low. Massive change needed or jack it in, give up, die slowly.....

Bleeds green
30-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Is it just me or did the sense of pride start to gradually fade with the demolition of the old east terracing?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
30-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Nice post, me and my mate were walking to ER last week and both thought that last weeks game would say a lot about where we were at. Same old for me, same as we're have been watching for a long time - Leigh aside Hibs have had nothing at all for 5 years. No fight, no belief no real talent, we as fans get continually let down, we must have the worst form in the UK for a professional team in the last year. Really , really rank rotten - the entire population of Alloa wouldn't fill Easter Road. I have been watching Hibs since the 70s, it's been bad, not as bad as this - I will always love Hibs but I am at an all time low. Massive change needed or jack it in, give up, die slowly.....

Not to mention Ross County who hail from a town with a population of under 7000 yet still produce a team from very limited
resources that can survive in the SPL. Astounding when compared with the assets available to a Club our size.

we are hibs
30-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Think one of the biggest things that has went wrong in the last few years has been the trust from the fans in the players. Due to season after season, game after game of utter dross, the players over time have completely lost the fans trust. I honestly can't remember the last hibs team I trusted to go out and win a game.

It's always nervous watching hibs because you don't know what hibs team will turn up. The start of getting out this massive hole has to be winning the fans trust back. Days like today don't help at all.

marleyhib
30-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Is it just me or did the sense of pride start to gradually fade with the demolition of the old east terracing?!

For me yes, atmosphere is rubbish and the team has been rubbish since

Bleeds green
31-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Totally agree it has come side by side was a ice intimidating wee terrace that created a fantastic atmosphere. 6-2 and Athens spring to mind nights I'll never forget and fear will never return!

Earl of Currie
31-08-2014, 06:30 AM
I agree with a number of the posts on the site in the last 24 hours, and it always comes back to the desire in the players. Many teams try to pass the ball now and try to ‘play football’. Few teams actually succeed, but they try.
What most teams succeed in however, is to play as a team and fight for everything. Hibs have been a soft touch for more than 5 years. As much as we need players who can play the game properly, we need a mental and physical toughness about us which has been lacking for a long, long time.
If the fans know that 11 men in green have given 100% then they will applaud that and be proud of it. If they see them not bothering their backside, looking unfit and not wishing to be on the park, the fans quickly identify with this and let their feelings be heard.

Teams playing Hibs now know that all they have to do (particularly at ER) is to sit and wait and the boo boys will start, the gutless side of Hibs will start to appear and eventually the opposition will win.
My only suggestion (and this might be a tin hat moment) is to try and recruit a few hard men in the team. This might not be the Hibs way, but we need a spine or 4-5 nasty beggars who will marshall, if not bully players and games. If we create the spine then the football can happen around it.
If we put the fight and desire back on the park, the results will happen then we can progress. If we don’t, we are going to be here for a few seasons, the fans will drift away and we will find it very difficult to be an established club again.

oneone73
31-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Think one of the biggest things that has went wrong in the last few years has been the trust from the fans in the players. Due to season after season, game after game of utter dross, the players over time have completely lost the fans trust. I honestly can't remember the last hibs team I trusted to go out and win a game.

It's always nervous watching hibs because you don't know what hibs team will turn up. The start of getting out this massive hole has to be winning the fans trust back. Days like today don't help at all.

This.

BroxburnHibee
31-08-2014, 09:41 AM
All Petrie has done is play the same game over and over again - change the manager. We fall for it every time.

Only difference being he's put LD up to take the flak.

Plenty people paid the price for last season's disaster yet his poisonous presence remains.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Replacing personnel ON TIME and giving them time to gel in preseason may work???
Well at least it may be a start. We have 2 days to bring in, IMHO, 5-6 new players, as it is already apparent the ones we have left from last season ain't cutting it.
Even then it may be too late, 9 points behind THEM and 6 behind the currents, a lot to make up already.

:agree: This.

As much as we laughed at Hearts, when it still seemed safe to do so, I can't help but think they started their prep for this season, more or less this time last season.

snooky
31-08-2014, 09:55 AM

If you're continually punched, you will reach a stage when you don't feel it. That's kinda where I'm at these days.
However, looking at the state of HFC right now, the club is even further down that road than I am.

we are hibs
31-08-2014, 10:01 AM
If you're continually punched, you will reach a stage when you don't feel it. That's kinda where I'm at these days.
However, looking at the state of HFC right now, the club is even further down that road than I am.

I agree. It's getting to the stage where I don't feel anything when we lose. If the club don't feel anything about losing why should we. I hoped this season would spark that emotion again but so far nothing has happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gegs70
31-08-2014, 10:05 AM
:agree: This.

As much as we laughed at Hearts, when it still seemed safe to do so, I can't help but think they started their prep for this season, more or less this time last season.

I'm not so sure that players like harris and handling would get a chance in their first team. I'm not saying they are bad players in harris case his form and confidence has been an issue.

edwards
31-08-2014, 10:14 AM

The whole hibs support is hurting just now and we have for a long time now, If Alan Stubbs and Leeann have a plan then i hope they are giving up their Sunday and are at ER right now discussing the way forward and how to get out of this dire situation we are already in. We are hearing Leigh is on his way back tomorrow [ please be true ].
We need a leader in the team and someone with a pedigree McFadden would fit the bill and someone to play right of midfield Sam Stanton is a good player but not the answer, Pearson may solve this problem.
Leeann you talked about getting the club quality players It's time to go out and get them.

NAE NOOKIE
31-08-2014, 10:56 AM
My pride in being a Hibby will never fade, no matter how low boardroom apathy and incompetence or rubbish on the pitch brings the club.

As a supporter my part is to stick with the club no matter what. Don't get me wrong I do get fed up, frustrated and angry at the clubs failure on the park and those running the club who have allowed us to reach this current extreme low point in a series of low points. But that is their fault, not mine.

I'm buggered if I will allow the mismanagement of my club by people who lack my emotional attachment to it to make me give up on it. They are not Hibs ...... we are Hibs.

One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, they will be gone and we will have people looking after Hibs who understand that the way to a successful club with happy supporters is not by neglecting the football team.

Fife-Hibee
31-08-2014, 11:32 AM
My pride in being a Hibby will never fade, no matter how low boardroom apathy and incompetence or rubbish on the pitch brings the club.

As a supporter my part is to stick with the club no matter what. Don't get me wrong I do get fed up, frustrated and angry at the clubs failure on the park and those running the club who have allowed us to reach this current extreme low point in a series of low points. But that is their fault, not mine.

I'm buggered if I will allow the mismanagement of my club by people who lack my emotional attachment to it to make me give up on it. They are not Hibs ...... we are Hibs.

One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, they will be gone and we will have people looking after Hibs who understand that the way to a successful club with happy supporters is not by neglecting the football team.

Great post mate !

lord bunberry
31-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Yesterday I felt disgusted with them, today I feel like the fight back starts now,
**** the hearts.

basehibby
31-08-2014, 01:02 PM

I think you're barking up the wrong tree there - what has been missing since the creation of the new East Stand is a singular lack of any plan, strategy or budget to fill it up with enthusiastic supporters by putting a team on the pitch which is worthy of that task.

I had no argument with completing the redevelopment of the stadium (which had to happen sooner or later) - but the apparent failure of the board to allocate any extra budget whatsoever to the task of attracting the punters in to fill it is a massive own goal IMO - that has lead to an increasingly forlorn atmosphere at Easter Road as we've witnessed our beloved team swerve from drab mediocrity to shambolic collapse with an increasing sense of helplessness.

The completion of such a major project deserved an injection of cash into the team on the park in order to safeguard the investment by ensuring it would be fully utilised by an energised and enthusiastic support. The failure to take this into account has led directly to where we are now IMO - a situation where the club will have suffered massive financial loses, no doubt dwarfing the kind of outlay which would have kept Hibs in the SPL - while enthusing the fans and sustaining the sense of pride which continues to take a battering with results like Saturday's vs Alloa.