PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs interview

Ozyhibby
30-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Did anyone hear Stubbs interview on Radio Scotland? Did he sound like a guy who knew what the problem was and how to fix it?

Boyle89
30-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Not really. Compared us to Man U as a way of defending the situation. Also said that we are struggling because of all the personel changes. Did say that he has high standards and if players can't meet the standards they won't be playing. Pretty uninspiring stuff IMO.

RedHibby
30-08-2014, 04:48 PM
He probably sounded like the Managers prior to him. Unfortunately we can not always blame the Manager sooner or later the players have to stand up and be counted. How many more Managers are we going to blame?

green day
30-08-2014, 04:50 PM
He probably sounded like the Managers prior to him. Unfortunately we can not always blame the Manager sooner or later the players have to stand up and be counted. How many more Managers are we going to blame?

Stubbs is here for the long haul. And privately he probably knows he was not given enough planning time for this season. I think we will plod along and have another clear out in Jan / summer until he has all his own players.

edinburghhibs
30-08-2014, 04:51 PM
He sounded clueless.

matty_f
30-08-2014, 04:57 PM
FFS are we onto ripping the manager's interviews already?

davidw
30-08-2014, 04:59 PM
He sounded clueless.

No, he didn't. He sounded dismayed and upset, as he should be. And he sounded like a man who has inherited a mess with very little time to sort it out. But he sounds determined to sort it out - and I think he will.

edinburghhibs
30-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Rambling interview.

JJP
30-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Jambos out in force I see.

Golden Bear

:agree:

I've been saying that for a few years now but it happens to be true.

WhileTheChief..
Gotta say I think he sounds completely out of this depth. Worrying.

Really hope he can sort things out but not lookin good so far.

ionahibby
30-08-2014, 05:01 PM
If anything it's going to be a busy deadline day for us, the board and Stubbs will realise we need players pronto! Griffiths would be helpful but him alone isn't going to fix it.

tamig
30-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Stubbs is here for the long haul. And privately he probably knows he was not given enough planning time for this season. I think we will plod along and have another clear out in Jan / summer until he has all his own players.
Agree with this. The late sacking of Butcher and the relatively late appointment of Stubbs left us right up against it. If only LD had started with us a month earlier I don't think we'd be where we are just now.

smurf
30-08-2014, 05:02 PM
He should recognise his error in retaining Liam Craig as club captain and indeed as player...

Lee Marvin
30-08-2014, 05:03 PM
If anything it's going to be a busy deadline day for us, the board and Stubbs will realise we need players pronto! Griffiths would be helpful but him alone isn't going to fix it.

Shame LD is going to be sitting talking to hibs fans the final 4 hours of the window. These clashes are annoying, if only she knew that the window shut then. Darn it!

sleeping giant
30-08-2014, 05:04 PM
He should recognise his error in retaining Liam Craig as club captain and indeed as player...

Honestly can't remember him doing anything today.

Shrekko
30-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Are post match interviews really what's important in terms of assessing a managers ability or even what he's really thinking?

Can't believe we're reading this guff about him being clueless etc., already. He seems highly thought of by people like Roberto Martinez so why do normal punters think they know better?

carnoustiehibee
30-08-2014, 05:05 PM
I actually feel sorry for Stubbs. The football has been an improvement since coming it. I just don't think he realised how *****, gutless and inept the players were.

Maybe the fans were to noisy today,maybe the pitch was too hard but luckily we brought in Eddie May and 27 other backroom staff to sort it out

Hibeewilly
30-08-2014, 05:07 PM
We have got to give the guy a chance but leaving out Booth and Robertson for Stevenson and Craig just does not inspire me at all

CallumLaidlaw
30-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Hahaha. Brilliant. People really will hear what they want.

He was asked why hearts have hit the ground running and we haven't. He said we've had more personnel changes. This is correct. We've had more crap to try and clear out. And I understand what he meant with the van gaal comment. He's one of the best managers in the world but you can't expect results just to improve when the majority if the squad is the same.

marinello59
30-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I actually feel sorry for Stubbs. The football has been an improvement since coming it. I just don't think he realised how *****, gutless and inept the players were.

Maybe the fans were to noisy today,maybe the pitch was too hard but luckily we brought in Eddie May and 27 other backroom staff to sort it out

He's a rookie manager still learning the ropes and he will make mistakes. He's a brave man taking on this shambles for his first appointment.

DaveF
30-08-2014, 05:10 PM

Yep, removing the armband and Craig altogether should be the next thing he does.

Give the captaincy to someone who actually cares.

Boyle89
30-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Honestly can't remember him doing anything today.

He got booked...for dissent of all things (roll eyes smiley).

Sudds_1
30-08-2014, 05:17 PM
No, he didn't. He sounded dismayed and upset, as he should be. And he sounded like a man who has inherited a mess with very little time to sort it out. But he sounds determined to sort it out - and I think he will.

me too. early days There are years of decline needing addressed here....and that won't be mended in a matter of a few weeks/months. We have LD in now.....we have a manager who (I think anyway) will turn this round...........

....hard to say it. But PATIENCE and support is needed more than ever. Or we just go round the same old cycle again and again.............

rcarter1
30-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Yep, removing the armband and Craig altogether should be the next thing he does.

Give the captaincy to someone who actually cares.

Times are rotten thats for sure. If Stubbs is a fighter, and Im sure he is, he will be looking at some serious axe wielding, but will also need backed up for replacements. Losing El Alagui is a massive blow, and hopefully its not for long. The folks who prepared our strategy for this season, did so with failure in mind. We are getting exactly what we prepared for. Hearts made noises about winning streaks and the kind of stuff you say when you are in a title race. We beat around the bush, and smiled and said we have our own goals, but we don't want to state them etc. I.e. we gave up in a straight scrap with Hearts before the fight started. I am ashamed to be a Hibs fan, and Im not ashamed to say it.

Gettin' Auld
30-08-2014, 05:20 PM
He sounded clueless.

Don't talk pish.

Smartie
30-08-2014, 05:20 PM
I listened to his interview in the car driving back from the game.

I liked the interview and I like him and I think he has recognised absolutely what the problems are and knows why we are where we are now. There is only so much he could have done by now. He was clearly hurting and was restricted in what he could say.

What is he meant to say? Rip into the players? Aye, because that worked really well for Butcher.

He inherited an absolute car crash of a club. Players not fit to wear the jersey, no heart, no bottle, no steel, no idea how to play football and he had to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure that if he could have got rid of everyone that remained, he would. But he had to choose some of them to persevere with.

How many Stubbs signings let us down today? None. How many of the usual suspects? All of them. Do you honestly think he doesn't know this?

He's a rookie manager, he's going to make mistakes - see the subs today. Given the magnitude of the task he's been given, I think he's doing fine. There are, yet again, plenty of people I would blame for the current problems at Hibs before I would get to the current manager. But yet again we go for the most obvious candidate.

This break has come at a very good time for us, and I hope for Stubbs sake the board help him out before the transfer window closes. This guy could be very good for us but we have to be realistic in our expectations of him and ripping apart an interview after we have lost to Alloa is not doing that.

Sudds_1
30-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Times are rotten thats for sure. If Stubbs is a fighter, and Im sure he is, he will be looking at some serious axe wielding, but will also need backed up for replacements. Losing El Alagui is a massive blow, and hopefully its not for long. The folks who prepared our strategy for this season, did so with failure in mind. We are getting exactly what we prepared for. Hearts made noises about winning streaks and the kind of stuff you say when you are in a title race. We beat around the bush, and smiled and said we have our own goals, but we don't want to state them etc. I.e. we gave up in a straight scrap with Hearts before the fight started. I am ashamed to be a Hibs fan, and Im not ashamed to say it.

Never ever EVER be ashamed to be part of the Hibs family............ its not us who should be ashamed tonight.

rcarter1
30-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Never ever EVER be ashamed to be part of the Hibs family............ its not us who should be ashamed tonight.

Cheers bud.. I was well up for this season, but we could hardly have made a worse start. I agree with some other posters that Stubbs will need time, and his signings so far look pretty good.

If I keep gritting my teeth like this, Im going to break my face….

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-08-2014, 05:49 PM
He sounded clueless.

Not as clueless as your ridiculous post.

Gala Foxes
30-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Hope he is clearer in his mind than he sounded on the radio - it was almost like a replay of the previous incumbents in the job after match interview

Another year on, another manager in, same result on the park

brisbanehibs
30-08-2014, 06:54 PM

I liked the interview and I like him and I think he has recognised absolutely what the problems are and knows why we are where we are now. There is only so much he could have done by now. He was clearly hurting and was restricted in what he could say.

What is he meant to say? Rip into the players? Aye, because that worked really well for Butcher.

He inherited an absolute car crash of a club. Players not fit to wear the jersey, no heart, no bottle, no steel, no idea how to play football and he had to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure that if he could have got rid of everyone that remained, he would. But he had to choose some of them to persevere with.

How many Stubbs signings let us down today? None. How many of the usual suspects? All of them. Do you honestly think he doesn't know this?

He's a rookie manager, he's going to make mistakes - see the subs today. Given the magnitude of the task he's been given, I think he's doing fine. There are, yet again, plenty of people I would blame for the current problems at Hibs before I would get to the current manager. But yet again we go for the most obvious candidate.

This break has come at a very good time for us, and I hope for Stubbs sake the board help him out before the transfer window closes. This guy could be very good for us but we have to be realistic in our expectations of him and ripping apart an interview after we have lost to Alloa is not doing that.

Well said. Stubbs is part of the solution not the problem. It is just going to take much longer to mend the club than any of us hoped. Long season ahead...

gegs70
30-08-2014, 07:04 PM
It's time to realise that some of these players are not even good enough at championship level. The issue is that hearts and perhaps rangers have brought togather players that can do well in the Spl where hibs haven't...

The Green Goblin
30-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Absolutely this. Stubbs is like a man who has landed on the deck of the Titanic after the iceberg has struck it. He`s managed to restructure and re-organise the rescue efforts a bit better, but the ship is still going down and he wasn`t the one who caused it. No flak from me.

The Green Goblin
30-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Well said. Stubbs is part of the solution not the problem. It is just going to take much longer to mend the club than any of us hoped. Long season ahead...

A long two seasons ahead, imo. Sadly.

HFC 0-7
30-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Managers very rarely give good interviews post defeat, they are so busy watching what they say, not letting rip into players etc that they end up not really saying much. I couldn't give a **** what he says to be honest, all I care about is how the team reacts the next game.

brisbanehibs
30-08-2014, 07:15 PM
A long two seasons ahead, imo. Sadly.
Agreed. My typo, it's early morning over here still waking up. That should have been seasonS. You are obviously feeling optimistic by starting the bidding at only two......;)

Ozyhibby
30-08-2014, 07:15 PM

I haven't formed an opinion on Stubbs yet one way or another. It's still to early.
Let's be clear though, if he does not turn this round soon he will be hounded out same as his predecessors. Losing to part time teams and averaging less than a point a game in the second tier of Scottish football is a terrible start. If things don't improve quickly he will be gone and it won't matter how good he could have been. That's Hibs.

Jonnyboy
30-08-2014, 07:32 PM

This. I thought he was honest and didn't dodge questions, other than to refuse to let that Jambo cretin of an interviewer draw him into a 'all hell let loose in the dressing room at half time' discussion

The Gorf
30-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Yes

The Gorf
30-08-2014, 07:48 PM
And why not? He's worse than Butcher ffs.

Iggy Pope
30-08-2014, 07:52 PM

You've answered that same question twice. Are all those fingers getting in the way?

The Gorf
30-08-2014, 07:56 PM
You've answered that same question twice. Are all those fingers getting in the way?
Oh dear. The Petrie lovers are on the troll.

Iggy Pope
30-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Poor response.
Now. if you had said something relating to Stubbs we might have got somewhere with the discussion. As it stands, you've ballsed it. You still paying your tenner a month?

HoboHarry
30-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Is this really all you have to got do to with your time on a Saturday evening? Seriously?

greenforgo
30-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Not really. Compared us to Man U as a way of defending the situation. Also said that we are struggling because of all the personel changes. Did say that he has high standards and if players can't meet the standards they won't be playing. Pretty uninspiring stuff IMO. Liam craig is playing every week??? enough said

R'Albin
30-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Posts like this one make me happy. It reassures me knowing there's other, probably much older, virgins in the world.

hibeejeebies
30-08-2014, 08:14 PM

:top marks

Someone who retains a healthy sense of perspective even in defeat. Burn the witch.

emerald green
30-08-2014, 08:26 PM

:agree: Leigh Griffiths would be a great signing, but he isn't the messiah. His effectiveness, even if we do get him, will now be diminished by the absence of El Alagui.

There was a lot of excitement on the Griffiths thread, and dare I say it, almost a feel good factor for once. Today's result and performance, and Farid's terrible injury has even taken that away.

There is still a malaise at our club, and one player will not eradicate that. He will help, but we need a team. A fair number of the current first team squad just aren't good enough, and that's putting it mildly. I'm not going to name names. I'm just so p***** off with it all.

Jonnyboy
30-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Posts like this one make me happy. It reassures me knowing there's other, probably much older, virgins in the world.

:tee hee:

The_Horde
30-08-2014, 08:32 PM
What do people want the manager to say? Nothing he says will change the result. Managers are managers. Not politicians. They feel the same as we do. Probably worse in Stubbs' case as it's his first job and he wants to impress.

silverhibee
30-08-2014, 08:44 PM

:hilarious

Albion Hibs
30-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Absolutely this. Stubbs is like a man who has landed on the deck of the Titanic after the iceberg has struck it. He`s managed to restructure and re-organise the rescue efforts a bit better, but the ship is still going down and he wasn`t the one who caused it. No flak from me.

Dont not agreed with that. Stubbs has landed on his feet, we are by a distance the third biggest club in that league, with very little between us and second. The fact that recruitment has been as poor as the results so far is not something that was inherited but come as a result.

he and the board need to get their finger out, no more excuses.

Mikey09
30-08-2014, 08:50 PM

My vote for WORST EVER POST on hibs.net goes to.......

Lucius Apuleius
30-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Sniff of yam on here? Find it pretty hard to believe any hibby is slagging Stubbs already. Who do they think we should have given the job to?

The Green Goblin
30-08-2014, 08:53 PM

On what grounds? I think that statement is a total nonsense btw, but I`m happy to give you the chance to prove it to me.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-08-2014, 08:57 PM

By god you're weird.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Posts like this one make me happy. It reassures me knowing there's other, probably much older, virgins in the world.:faf:

yankyhibby
30-08-2014, 09:13 PM

Well, hopefully he does now realise.

Deansy
30-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Shame LD is going to be sitting talking to hibs fans the final 4 hours of the window. These clashes are annoying, if only she knew that the window shut then. Darn it!

If we were (and I doubt it very much) signing any more players, I'm sure Rod Petrie would be more than delighted to step-in and scupper it - books need balancing first !

dp00
30-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I thought Stubbs sounds peed off, basically said that a few players need to shop out or ship off

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-08-2014, 09:41 PM

Belter :faf:

Lucius Apuleius
30-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Belter :faf:

Think he was talking about you. :-)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Think he was talking about you. :-)

Then it'd be a false accusation because it ain't true :wink:

And my name isn't "Taxi for petrie" either :greengrin

Hibeesmad
30-08-2014, 09:47 PM
When Stubbs came in he said that he doesn't care how we play as long as we win. I haven't seen any signs of good performances or wins. Alloa played better football and created more chances than us today

CallumLaidlaw
30-08-2014, 09:51 PM
When Stubbs came in he said that he doesn't care how we play as long as we win. I haven't seen any signs of good performances or wins. Alloa played better football and created more chances than us today

Strange - sure we beat Livingston and Dumbarton. Also, first half against Falkirk we were excellent, and a good performance against rangers.

HoboHarry
30-08-2014, 09:51 PM
If we were (and I doubt it very much) signing any more players, I'm sure Rod Petrie would be more than delighted to step-in and scupper it - books need balancing first !
You do realize that if you make daft statements or just make up nonsense that you lose credibility right?

yankyhibby
30-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Strange - sure we beat Livingston and Dumbarton. Also, first half against Falkirk we were excellent, and a good performance against rangers.

And let's not forget our general showing against the Jambos, where but for a missed penalty we would have secured a point. Alloa is really the only stand out game where we simply did not turn up.

Hibeesmad
30-08-2014, 09:59 PM

We just managed a win against Livingston thanks to a goal from our goalkeeper and we were 2-0 down against Dumbarton. We have lost against Rangers, Hearts, Falkirk and Alloa. All I'm saying is that Stubbs is not living up to how he says "I don't care how we play as long as we win" attitude. I'm sure things will become good though and I hope so as I hate this

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Lets not start on the manager just yet ........ I think he has a fair idea of what he wants to do.

I have a leak in my gutter at the moment ... its about 30 feet off the ground and I only have a 6 foot step ladder ..... I think Alan Stubbs will be able to sympathise with me.

Hibeesmad
30-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Lets not start on the manager just yet ........ I think he has a fair idea of what he wants to do.

I have a leak in my gutter at the moment ... its about 30 feet off the ground and I only have a 6 foot step ladder ..... I think Alan Stubbs will be able to sympathise with me.

Hahaha

djs69
30-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Get a grip, he's obviously disappointed and angry

malagahibby
30-08-2014, 11:19 PM

I'm ashamed that your a hibs fan as well

malagahibby
30-08-2014, 11:22 PM
32 games to go -96 points to play for .
ALL. Teams in this division will drop points unexpectedly.
Wecare not finished as much of the posters here would wish for

macd123
30-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Anyone got a link to his interview?

Jones28
30-08-2014, 11:42 PM

Taxi for you I think.

West hamBERNIAN
30-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Probably the best post I've read, ever.

livi hibby
30-08-2014, 11:57 PM
is there a link to this

West hamBERNIAN
31-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Not seen it, hibs tv maybe.

J-C
31-08-2014, 12:17 AM
For all those having a go at Stubbs already, just bugger off...................everyone else remember the car crash of a club we had, a squad full of heartless wasters and half the time to build a new one with very little money to do it with. We've secured 4 players on contracts that last year we would've creamed ourselves if we'd signed them ( Allan, Gray, El Alagui and Fontaine ), restructuring of the whole bckground staff from top to bottom and if we're still 2nd bottom by christmas, then we can start asking questions about Stubbs.

macd123
31-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Not seen it, hibs tv maybe.

Nothing on hibs TV.

Hibs90
31-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Stubbs isn't the problem.

Allan45
31-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Stubbs isn't the problem.
It's a few players that have no guts,
Heff and Craig,the team is a liability.
hope Xmas comes early tomorrow.

Stubbs can still turn it around, but we won't catch Hearts now.

PeeJay
31-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Stubbs will go the same way as all our our recent "managers" - for all the same reasons: it's just a matter of time. Haven't heard the interview, don't need to ... saw the first 20 minutes of the game against the part-timers on Hibs TV - might have watched the rest, but the Hibs TV stream gave up on me ... no surprise really, bit like the team - no doubt Stubbs will have a plan for us to be able to compete with part-time teams when he works out what this manager lark is all about ...